IVF/ICSI Support Group

hi all, just had my OR today and retrieved 23 eggs. I'm very surprised as my previous round, only managed to retrieve 4 eggs!

Can I check, besides drinking 100plus and egg whites, is there anything else I can do to prevent OHSS?

Wow that's great. May I know what you have done differently this round compared to the previous?

Wow that's great. May I know what you have done differently this round compared to the previous?
actually I think I'm less kanchiong. my previous round I ate at least 6 egg whites a day! but this time I eat at most 2 but not every day cuz I forgot some days haha. I even did not drink the red date longan tea this time cuz I was quite busy with work and didn't have time to brew.

but I think the biggest change is lifestyle. I lost about 7kg from my last cycle as I was diagnosed with diabetes so I took an active step to cut out sugar and reduce carbs and ate more green vegetables and protein. also worked out more. I think that's the major factor.

medication wise, I was told to inject growth factor every 3 days which I didn't have during my previous cycle. that could have helped also.

Hi all
Just to check if anyone failed your ivf cycle and menses came much earlier than the scheduled blood test? I failed my first fresh w NUH, supposed to have blood test on 20 oct but I started spotting on 15 oct and full flow came on 17 oct. I really wonder why I started spotting so early (mid way in the 2www) but NUH Prof never said anything. To make it worst, that menses was sooo heavy and lasted almost a full 8-9 days. Now in CD18 and testing everyday for ovulation (to try naturally before I started another cycle again) but so far negative. I really suspect i have late ovulation and a short luteal phrase (i.e. only 10 days after ovulation). Anyone with same issue?

Hi all
Just to check if anyone failed your ivf cycle and menses came much earlier than the scheduled blood test? I failed my first fresh w NUH, supposed to have blood test on 20 oct but I started spotting on 15 oct and full flow came on 17 oct. I really wonder why I started spotting so early (mid way in the 2www) but NUH Prof never said anything. To make it worst, that menses was sooo heavy and lasted almost a full 8-9 days. Now in CD18 and testing everyday for ovulation (to try naturally before I started another cycle again) but so far negative. I really suspect i have late ovulation and a short luteal phrase (i.e. only 10 days after ovulation). Anyone with same issue?
sorry celeste144, no similar experience but your heavy bleeding seems like a chemical pregnancy. did you go for your blood test in the end?

actually I think I'm less kanchiong. my previous round I ate at least 6 egg whites a day! but this time I eat at most 2 but not every day cuz I forgot some days haha. I even did not drink the red date longan tea this time cuz I was quite busy with work and didn't have time to brew.

but I think the biggest change is lifestyle. I lost about 7kg from my last cycle as I was diagnosed with diabetes so I took an active step to cut out sugar and reduce carbs and ate more green vegetables and protein. also worked out more. I think that's the major factor.

medication wise, I was told to inject growth factor every 3 days which I didn't have during my previous cycle. that could have helped also.
How Long did u take to lose 6kg? I was also diagnosed with pre-diabetes via the SPresto program with KK.

Hi all

Hihi, I failed my first ivf at NUH in May. I had a chemical pregnancy. Started spotting 3 days before blood test, went down for earlier BT, then confirmed as chemical pregnancy. My menses came 2 days after. Like yours, it's super heavy.

The following month, I did not ovulate and my cycle was a whopping 35 days. I went to TCM and he said it takes one or two cycles to regulate the cycles. Somewhat similar experience as you. Hope this is helpful.

Hihi Vk85, I'm going for my ER tomorrow. Hopefully I'll retrieve as many eggs as you. So far about 20 follicles. Hopefully they contain eggs and are big enough for fertilization. My tcm says only those above 18mm are useful.

Seems like we will go through 2ww together! Jia you! How are u feeling after your ER? The last time round, I had fever.. hope not this time round.

I'm with KKH, Dr THH. What about you?

Hi all

celeste144,
There could be a few reasons for heavy bleeding. Chem pregnancy can be one but u already started spotting prior your scheduled BT so the bleed
Could be due to your body discharging the endo lining which may have thickened significantly due to all the synthetic hormones which we jab or taken orally.

It is usual for our body natural system to go haywire after a failed ivf cycle and it may take a few more cycles for our natural cycle to re-regulate.

hi all, just had my OR today and retrieved 23 eggs. I'm very surprised as my previous round, only managed to retrieve 4 eggs!

Can I check, besides drinking 100plus and egg whites, is there anything else I can do to prevent OHSS?
Vk85,
Thats a huge improvement on ur follicles retrieved and good luck on the next few days on your embryos growth.

I am somewhat the same as you. I shred some weight prior my last fresh cycle and cut out loads of carbo and took alot more proteins and i was on growth hormones jab for this cycle N and had 66 follicles which was double of my 2 fresh cycle.

If u still feel bloated, u can boil ginger longan drink. It works wonder for me in combating the bloat.

Hi all,

I am going to start my ivf journey tomorrow.I have cold and cough right now.it is ok? Will it make any problm when I take injections.is cold and cough medicines are safe to take with ivf medicine

Hi all,

I am going to start my ivf journey tomorrow.I have cold and cough right now.it is ok? Will it make any problm when I take injections.is cold and cough medicines are safe to take with ivf medicine
Chuchoo,
I was also bugged with sinusitis just before i started my stims. I used pure peppermint essence oil to help contain my sinus symptoms and it works wonder. My RE told me to avoid zyrtec which contains steroids. The usual cold meds like panadol etc should be ok as you do not want to be down with an infection fever during your IVF journey but I suggest that you better consult your RE if he approves the consumption of your cold meds.

How Long did u take to lose 6kg? I was also diagnosed with pre-diabetes via the SPresto program with KK.
hi jkoh,

I took about 2 months. but I was classified as obese so I think losing the initial 6kg was quite fast. but after that it's more difficult, esp when I started simms, becuase I got quite bloated. best way is to cut out sugar first and replace one meal with no carbs. also, exercise is key! all the best! diabetes is not a death sentence, we can overcome it together!

Hihi Vk85, I'm going for my ER tomorrow. Hopefully I'll retrieve as many eggs as you. So far about 20 follicles. Hopefully they contain eggs and are big enough for fertilization. My tcm says only those above 18mm are useful.

Seems like we will go through 2ww together! Jia you! How are u feeling after your ER? The last time round, I had fever.. hope not this time round.

I'm with KKH, Dr THH. What about you?
hi aimee!

the embryologist just called and out of my 23 eggs, 13 were mature and 12 fertilised! I'm super happy as the last time only 4 were retrieved and 2 fertilised so this is like 600% improvement! but of course trying to remain practical also. my ET is scheduled for Sunday. excited yet nervous again.

after ER yday I was very bloated but drank 2l of 100plus dutifully as told by the nurse and feel much better today. I'm even back at work to clear some stuff haha.

my dr is Dr Yu Su Ling from SGH but my ET will be done by Dr Hema as Dr Yu will be away on Sunday. I'm quite worried but just tell myself that all Drs are capable.

all the best for yours!

Vk85,
Thats a huge improvement on ur follicles retrieved and good luck on the next few days on your embryos growth.

I am somewhat the same as you. I shred some weight prior my last fresh cycle and cut out loads of carbo and took alot more proteins and i was on growth hormones jab for this cycle N and had 66 follicles which was double of my 2 fresh cycle.

If u still feel bloated, u can boil ginger longan drink. It works wonder for me in combating the bloat.
wow 66!!! you must have felt really bloated! thanks for the tip :)

Hi all,

hi chuchoo, for my first cycle I was having flu even during my Er. But it's okay, just go to the dr and request for pregnancy-safe medication if you're worried. you still have some time to recover before your ER so focus on that!

hi aimee!

the embryologist just called and out of my 23 eggs, 13 were mature and 12 fertilised! I'm super happy as the last time only 4 were retrieved and 2 fertilised so this is like 600% improvement! but of course trying to remain practical also. my ET is scheduled for Sunday. excited yet nervous again.

after ER yday I was very bloated but drank 2l of 100plus dutifully as told by the nurse and feel much better today. I'm even back at work to clear some stuff haha.

my dr is Dr Yu Su Ling from SGH but my ET will be done by Dr Hema as Dr Yu will be away on Sunday. I'm quite worried but just tell myself that all Drs are capable.

all the best for yours!
Vk85,
All the best for your ET and enjoy your 2WW.

Hi all,

Hi, i was just recovering from fever when i started my ivf and was also not feeling well onthe starting few days of the ivf(even missed 1 of the ivf injection on 2nd night as not feeling well). I still got a bfp in the end. Dr loh did prescribe me with antibiotics which is safe for pregnant ladies to take though.

Not to worry, mostimportant is to remain relax and rest well! All the best and baby dust to all!

Last edited:
sorry celeste144, no similar experience but your heavy bleeding seems like a chemical pregnancy. did you go for your blood test in the end?

Hi ya, I went for blood test 2 days earlier than scheduled. CHR nurse said it is negative, never mention anything abt chemical pregnancy

Hihi, I failed my first ivf at NUH in May. I had a chemical pregnancy. Started spotting 3 days before blood test, went down for earlier BT, then confirmed as chemical pregnancy. My menses came 2 days after. Like yours, it's super heavy.

The following month, I did not ovulate and my cycle was a whopping 35 days. I went to TCM and he said it takes one or two cycles to regulate the cycles. Somewhat similar experience as you. Hope this is helpful.

Hi urs sound similar to mine but mine not chemical pregnancy cos the blood test was negative. Today CD19 and I am still not ovulating.
I am supposed to start another fresh in nov after this coming menses. Is it ok to proceed even though my menses might have gone haywire too?

hi aimee!

all the best for yours!

Wow really a big improvement. What did you do or eat differently for this cycle? Even though I had 20 follicles, only 8 eggs retrieved, 7 matured and 6 fertilized. Wonder how to improve

hi aimee!

all the best for yours!

Wow so happy for you. KKH won't call us on fertilization rate until we see doc on ET in the operating theatre. Boo. Never mind la. Just enjoy my weekend.

I just did my ER today. 18 eggs. More than prev round at NUH. Only had 12 then.

Hopefully good fertilization rate. I'll update on Monday. N I'll find out on Monday is Dr Tan wants to cultivate to blasts. If not, D3 embryo also ok.

Wow really a big improvement. What did you do or eat differently for this cycle? Even though I had 20 follicles, only 8 eggs retrieved, 7 matured and 6 fertilized. Wonder how to improve

Dear Celeste, 20 over follicles is a lot in NUH standard cos Prof really controls the yield. To him, it's quality versus quantity. I had 12 eggs from last round. The docs and nurses are like cheering for me. Keep saying so many eggs. But I only fertilized 10, 5 survived, 2 discard, 2 put in and BFN, 1 frozen.

Btw, nurse made no mention of chemical pregnancy. It's based on HCG count. It's Prof who told me cos HCG count above 5 but less than desirable is chemical pregnancy. Prof console me by telling me that I was briefly pregnant.

I think the number of eggs is more or less determined by medication injected. Correct me if I'm wrong. I somehow think the growth factor jab helps. Both ladies had growth factor jab and ended up with a lot more. I don't have. But I'm happy with my yield now. Hopefully I have some to freeze. It's no joke injecting all over again in a fresh cycle. So tiring emotionally and lots more pain than FET.

Hi ladies,

May I know if anyone has done laparoscopy and if they were given any report? I did lap 4 years and had some images from doc only but no report. I am going to do FTR next week and doc asked for me lap report which I had none. I called back previous clinic and I was only told that left tube that's all. I asked for report but not response yet. Want to find out if patient should be given a report.

TIA.

actually Aimee is right. I think medication plays a big part. of course diet helps too but I was eating relatively healthy for my first round (but loads of carbs and about 5 kg heavier) and even took tcm but yield was low. So I think it's a numbers and luck game.

I'm doing my ET on D3 as I have Embryo Gen. is anyone using that?

Chuchoo,
I was also bugged with sinusitis just before i started my stims. I used pure peppermint essence oil to help contain my sinus symptoms and it works wonder. My RE told me to avoid zyrtec which contains steroids. The usual cold meds like panadol etc should be ok as you do not want to be down with an infection fever during your IVF journey but I suggest that you better consult your RE if he approves the consumption of your cold meds.
Thank u for the reply.i will try peppermint oil

hi chuchoo, for my first cycle I was having flu even during my Er. But it's okay, just go to the dr and request for pregnancy-safe medication if you're worried. you still have some time to recover before your ER so focus on that!
Ok,thanks for the reply

Hi, i was just recovering from fever when i started my ivf and was also not feeling well onthe starting few days of the ivf(even missed 1 of the ivf injection on 2nd night as not feeling well). I still got a bfp in the end. Dr loh did prescribe me with antibiotics which is safe for pregnant ladies to take though.

Not to worry, mostimportant is to remain relax and rest well! All the best and baby dust to all!
That's great .happy to know that u got bfp!!

I went for my day 8 scan today & doctor saw a polyp..he say may need to freeze my embroys n do a FET after removal of polyp..when i heard this my heart just sank..any ladies had this before?ER should be next week..

I went for my day 8 scan today & doctor saw a polyp..he say may need to freeze my embroys n do a FET after removal of polyp..when i heard this my heart just sank..any ladies had this before?ER should be next week..

Hi, i had severe endometriosis and polyps and had a surgery to resolve both about 2yrs before my ivf, by the same doctor for my ivf. All the best to u!

Hi. Is it ok to experience pink discharge? Just went to toilet and discharge a slight pink discharge. Very little.After I went toilet again, the discharge is no longer there. I'm.currently 6weeks pregnant. TIA.

Hi sister ,

Today after injection of lucrin , i forgot to put back into fridge and leave it at room temperature for 3 hrs till I realized, can this bottle of lucrin still be use? Or need to request a new bottle for safe ? Pls advise

Hi. Is it ok to experience pink discharge? Just went to toilet and discharge a slight pink discharge. Very little.After I went toilet again, the discharge is no longer there. I'm.currently 6weeks pregnant. TIA.
Kimchi-ger,
there are many reasons of pink discharge/spottings. if u had transferred more than 1 embryos, it could be that your body is discharging the other embryo that did not implant. Just make sure that u have ample of bed rest and if the discharge turns into dark brown.. should be ok. But if its turning red, you better call your clinic for more supports.

I was also spotting previously and i cooked lotus roots glutinous rice porridge to eat during my spotting episodes too.

Rest well!

Kimchi-ger,
there are many reasons of pink discharge/spottings. if u had transferred more than 1 embryos, it could be that your body is discharging the other embryo that did not implant. Just make sure that u have ample of bed rest and if the discharge turns into dark brown.. should be ok. But if its turning red, you better call your clinic for more supports.

I was also spotting previously and i cooked lotus roots glutinous rice porridge to eat during my spotting episodes too.

Rest well!

Thanks for the reply. I only transferred 1 blastocyst. Praying hard.

I too experience 1 time of slight pink discharge at ard wk 7... just went for 2nd doc visit at ard wk 8.. bbs heartbeat still going strong....

Hi Kimchi
Im now 12 weeks + and keep having discharge almost everyday. Sometimes dark color sometimes pink and sometimes got blood stain oso but gynae said as long as no bleeding is ok

Hi Prunia,

I read that your SCH has gone away during week 9. Still having discharge? Mine is non stop for 3 weeks.
Hi ms popee
Yes according to doc, my sch gone already but i still having discharge till now. My scan showed baby is healthy, cervix oso ok so he doesn't concern about that. He oso cannot tell why I keep having discharge :(

Hi Kimchi-ger,

Congratulations! I first had slight brown discharge at week 5 day 5. Rushed down to see my gynae and he gave me proluton jab. There are many reasons for discharge. Could be late implantation bleed flowing out, subchorionic hematoma, uterus bleeding etc. It could not nothing/unexplained too. I have been on strict bed rest since then. My discharge is non stop, from brown to dark red to bleeding. Scanning shows a blood line above baby sac so mine is high risk miscarriage. My dr said nothing can be done except bed rest till week 12.
Hope your discharge will not return again. First one week for me is very stressful but I am pretty numbed now. :)
Ms popee,
I can feel you as I had a similar encounter where i was spotting non stop and also a horrible bleeding episode during wk13 and i went for 2 other dr opinions and found a tear btw my water bag and uterus. Did complete bed rest for close to 4 months and the tear healed as baby grew. When are u due ?

Good luck and enjoy your pregnancy.

Some slight pink or brown discharge is ok, i had some brown discharge around 7-8 week mark too and my doctor said it was fine. However if it becomes heavier or turns into bleeding, do give your doctor a call immediately. To be safe, you can ring your doctor anyway to check. In the meantime, take it easy and rest more! Try to avoid strenuous activity till the sporting/discharge stops.

hi jkoh,

I took about 2 months. but I was classified as obese so I think losing the initial 6kg was quite fast. but after that it's more difficult, esp when I started simms, becuase I got quite bloated. best way is to cut out sugar first and replace one meal with no carbs. also, exercise is key! all the best! diabetes is not a death sentence, we can overcome it together!
Thanks babe! Jia you
I'm going for my 3rd fresh soon.
Will try to cut carb and hope to have more egg retrieval!

Hi sister ,

Today after injection of lucrin , i forgot to put back into fridge and leave it at room temperature for 3 hrs till I realized, can this bottle of lucrin still be use? Or need to request a new bottle for safe ? Pls advise
It's still okay to use. I left mine out for almost 6 hours and was told it can still be used :)

Thanks babe! Jia you
I'm going for my 3rd fresh soon.
Will try to cut carb and hope to have more egg retrieval!
Jia you to you too! just had my ET today and switched back to eating carbs (but of course in moderation and mostly whole grain) so as not to affect embryo growth.

transferred 2 D3 embryos, both of which had 8 cells. Although embryologist and Dr both said they were 'very good' and lining also 'very good', the next 2 weeks is going to be a hellish wait as I never know if they will end up sticking to me. sigh

Thanks daylesford. I am almost 9 weeks now. Not out of the woods yet. My gynae looks unusually serious in my case and requested weekly scan now. I don't know what's that blood thing above baby sac. It's not SCH. I am pretty positive and am prepared for the worst already. Thanks for yr encouragement and kind words to so many of us here! :)

Ms popee,
Ur gynea must have made u v worried. But there is nothing much he could do than ask u to bed rest. Reckoned that he also increased ur supports ? I had proluton jabs and duphaston till end of 2nd trimester.

Press on ok and be positive. Our babies can feel us ... I was so amazed that i could tahan bed resting
for so long as i am a hyper active person but all the resting is just for one goal... to carry our babies to full term & carry our bundle of joy in our arms.

Meanwhile take extra care and try to minimize walking and avoid stairs completely.

All,
I had recently completed my 3rd fresh cycle with 66 follicles with 4 good grades Day 6 Blastocysts as compared
to my 2nd fresh cycle where i had 30 follicles and ended with only 1 low-grade blastocyst.

My embryologist had previously mentioned that i got egg quality issues since my first cycle and it is extremely tough for me to conceive naturally.

Just wanted to share with those of you ladies who are combating with egg quality issues that little efforts and changes made to our lifestyle can result in a difference in our egg quality.

Apart from the tweaks made to this cycle's stimulation meds and also the usual stuffs (Eg : TCM, Folic Acid, Conceive Well) which I had already been taking/consulting since 2015, this 3rd cycle I was very cautious on my carbo & sugar intake and ate healthily (Eg :Chia seeds, Quiinoa, Flaxseeds, Oats for breakkies/lunch and skip carbo completely for dinner etc). Did exercise on daily basis too and I lost quite some weight between my 2 cycles. Also, I took 600mg-800mg of Ubiquinol - CoQ10 on daily basis.

Good Luck To Everyone!

All,
I had recently completed my 3rd fresh cycle with 66 follicles with 4 good grades Day 6 Blastocysts as compared
to my 2nd fresh cycle where i had 30 follicles and ended with only 1 low-grade blastocyst.

My embryologist had previously mentioned that i got egg quality issues since my first cycle and it is extremely tough for me to conceive naturally.

Just wanted to share with those of you ladies who are combating with egg quality issues that little efforts and changes made to our lifestyle can result in a difference in our egg quality.

Apart from the tweaks made to this cycle's stimulation meds and also the usual stuffs (Eg : TCM, Folic Acid, Conceive Well) which I had already been taking/consulting since 2015, this 3rd cycle I was very cautious on my carbo & sugar intake and ate healthily (Eg :Chia seeds, Quiinoa, Flaxseeds, Oats for breakkies/lunch and skip carbo completely for dinner etc). Did exercise on daily basis too and I lost quite some weight between my 2 cycles. Also, I took 600mg-800mg of Ubiquinol - CoQ10 on daily basis.

Good Luck To Everyone!

That's a very nice achievement! Happy for you! Congratulation!

Yes it's true. Really nothing much to do. I am on weekly proluton jabs and duphaston now. I am ok with my gynae. Maybe it's due to my age, it's difficult to assure me that everything will be ok. hee... It's good to set the right expectation. Just like you, I am very active too and I got depressed from bed rest initially. Thanks gal. :)
Hang in there. Take care and stay positive. Hugs.

Hello! I am back from my US stressful work trip. Trying to stay zen and positive since i am going to TTC but it isnt easy!

I missed out alot since i was away for 2 weeks! Briefly read through and wanna shout JIAYOU to all of us and CONGRATS to those who have some good news during ER :)

Just to check, I got called to inform that i will have my IVF scheduled in Feb 2017 and my appt for the counselling is in Jan. So, what happens before the ER? There is a period of jabbing? How long is that before the ER happens. Thereafter, how long before the ET happens. After the ET it will be a 2ww before a test is done to see if it is a BFP?

Hubs and I are planning a trip to Taiwan and he cant take leave until Feb/Mar. So trying to plan a trip that wont affect the TTC process since i know the first trimester, not advisable to travel?

TIA!!

Hello! I am back from my US stressful work trip. Trying to stay zen and positive since i am going to TTC but it isnt easy!

I missed out alot since i was away for 2 weeks! Briefly read through and wanna shout JIAYOU to all of us and CONGRATS to those who have some good news during ER :)

Just to check, I got called to inform that i will have my IVF scheduled in Feb 2017 and my appt for the counselling is in Jan. So, what happens before the ER? There is a period of jabbing? How long is that before the ER happens. Thereafter, how long before the ET happens. After the ET it will be a 2ww before a test is done to see if it is a BFP?

Hubs and I are planning a trip to Taiwan and he cant take leave until Feb/Mar. So trying to plan a trip that wont affect the TTC process since i know the first trimester, not advisable to travel?

TIA!!
When ur menses come at February, u call them on ur first full flow day then they will tell u which day to go down. Then scanning and injection starts afterward. Everyday need injection and alternate days go down for scan. Ur follicles are ard quite big to ovulate then they will trigger shot then will do ER 2 days later. Then 3 -5 days later will be ET. Then about 2 weeks u go down for blood test for pregnancy. So before ER about 12-14 days. And after ET 14 days.

When ur menses come at February, u call them on ur first full flow day then they will tell u which day to go down. Then scanning and injection starts afterward. Everyday need injection and alternate days go down for scan. Ur follicles are ard quite big to ovulate then they will trigger shot then will do ER 2 days later. Then 3 -5 days later will be ET. Then about 2 weeks u go down for blood test for pregnancy. So before ER about 12-14 days. And after ET 14 days.

Thanks dear! Which means it will be the whole of Feb that i will be out. If my menses dont come naturally but i am given medication to induce it? I will just take it and induce it?

Back