IVF/ICSI Support Group

I just got the call and was told my beta is 2049.6!!!!
The nurse said she has ran thru the results with my doc, THH and he said one possible explanation for the drop then rise of hcg could be becos both embryos implanted, one did not stick but the other did. But before I could shout for joy, was told my doc is quite concerned abt the steep rise from 29 to 2049.6 and he would like to rule out molar pregnancy. Heading back to KKH now with heavy heart...
really very happy for u! been silently reading thru ur ups and downs but so glad it's an amazing 2049.6 after all the turmoil!
take care and keep us updated!! :)

Just heard that one of my colleagues might be pregnant again. She just had her 2nd baby gal this year and was still grumbling that is a gal, Now she might be pregnant again.

Why so ppl are so fortunate....

Just heard that one of my colleagues might be pregnant again. She just had her 2nd baby gal this year and was still grumbling that is a gal, Now she might be pregnant again.

Why so ppl are so fortunate....

Ya. Some people are just so fortunate. I also have friends who keep conceiving till she has to chart the dates to avoid striking again.

People like us have to try super hard during those fertile days and yet still never strike. Sigh.....

@littlemonkies Have consulted Prof Wong for the first time. Did some blood tests and now waiting for AF to arrive and do blood tests again on D2/3 after AF arrived. Hubby have yet to do his SA.

We hope we can do IVF this year as I am already 38. So not much time left.

I just read one of the website that was shared earlier by Domokunn and I thought I just shared it here for those who are thinking what type of nut/seeds to eat during their IVF cycle :

Why nuts and seeds are important to our fertility :

Protein
Proteins are required for building and repair of the body’s tissues. This includes a growing baby in its mothers womb. The amino acids that make up protein are the building blocks of the body’s cells, including those of your baby. Protein is also an excellent source of energy. Nuts and seeds with the highest content of protein:

• Peanuts (1 oz.) 6.7 g
  • Sunflower seeds (1 oz.) 6 g
  • Flax Seeds (1 oz.) 6 g
  • Almonds (1/4 cup) 6 g
  • Sesame seeds (1 oz.) 5 g
  • Walnuts (1 oz.) 4 g
Omega-3 Essential Fatty Acids
The popular EFA omega-3 supports healthy fertility by helping to regulate hormones, increase cervical mucous production, promote ovulation and improve the quality of the uterus by increasing the blood flow to the reproductive organs. It also helps to regulate inflammatory response, thereby aiding fertility issues such as endometriosis, PCOS, and uterine fibroids. Omega-3 is also important for proper sperm production. In pregnancy, omega-3 EFA can help support proper nervous system and brain development.

The best nuts and seeds for omega 3 are:
  • Walnuts – 1/4 cup = 2,270mg
  • Flax seeds – 2 Tbs = 3,510mg
  • Hemp seeds – 3 Tbs = 3,000mg
  • Chia seeds – 1Tbs = 2,300mg
Zinc
Zinc works with more than 300 different enzymes in the body to keep it running smoothly. It is important for fertility because it plays an important role in proper development of ova and sperm, hormonal balance, prevention of chromosomal defects, and prevention of recurrent miscarriage. The best nuts and seeds for zinc are:
  • Pumpkin – 1/4 cup = 2.7mg
  • Sesame – 1/4 cup =2.8mg
Vitamin E
This vitamin is essential to fertility. In fact, the chemical name for the most active form of vitamin is alpha-tocopherol comes from the work tokos which means “offspring,” and phero, which means “to bear”. So in order to bear children, you must have adequate levels of vitamin E. Vitamin E is an antioxidant which has been shown to be supportive of nerve cells, red blood cells, the liver and the immune system. The best nuts and seeds for vitamin E are:
  • Sunflower Seeds – 1/4 cup = 18.10mg
  • Almonds – 1/4 cup = 8.97mg
I am currently taking walnut, chia seeds and almonds - which based on the above contain Protein, Omega 3 & Vitamin E. Looks like I should start eating pumpkin or sesame seeds to improve my zinc! :)

I just read one of the website that was shared earlier by Domokunn and I thought I just shared it here for those who are thinking what type of nut/seeds to eat during their IVF cycle :

Why nuts and seeds are important to our fertility :

Protein
Proteins are required for building and repair of the body’s tissues. This includes a growing baby in its mothers womb. The amino acids that make up protein are the building blocks of the body’s cells, including those of your baby. Protein is also an excellent source of energy. Nuts and seeds with the highest content of protein:

• Peanuts (1 oz.) 6.7 g
  • Sunflower seeds (1 oz.) 6 g
  • Flax Seeds (1 oz.) 6 g
  • Almonds (1/4 cup) 6 g
  • Sesame seeds (1 oz.) 5 g
  • Walnuts (1 oz.) 4 g
Omega-3 Essential Fatty Acids
The popular EFA omega-3 supports healthy fertility by helping to regulate hormones, increase cervical mucous production, promote ovulation and improve the quality of the uterus by increasing the blood flow to the reproductive organs. It also helps to regulate inflammatory response, thereby aiding fertility issues such as endometriosis, PCOS, and uterine fibroids. Omega-3 is also important for proper sperm production. In pregnancy, omega-3 EFA can help support proper nervous system and brain development.

The best nuts and seeds for omega 3 are:
  • Walnuts – 1/4 cup = 2,270mg
  • Flax seeds – 2 Tbs = 3,510mg
  • Hemp seeds – 3 Tbs = 3,000mg
  • Chia seeds – 1Tbs = 2,300mg
Zinc
Zinc works with more than 300 different enzymes in the body to keep it running smoothly. It is important for fertility because it plays an important role in proper development of ova and sperm, hormonal balance, prevention of chromosomal defects, and prevention of recurrent miscarriage. The best nuts and seeds for zinc are:
  • Pumpkin – 1/4 cup = 2.7mg
  • Sesame – 1/4 cup =2.8mg
Vitamin E
This vitamin is essential to fertility. In fact, the chemical name for the most active form of vitamin is alpha-tocopherol comes from the work tokos which means “offspring,” and phero, which means “to bear”. So in order to bear children, you must have adequate levels of vitamin E. Vitamin E is an antioxidant which has been shown to be supportive of nerve cells, red blood cells, the liver and the immune system. The best nuts and seeds for vitamin E are:
  • Sunflower Seeds – 1/4 cup = 18.10mg
  • Almonds – 1/4 cup = 8.97mg
I am currently taking walnut, chia seeds and almonds - which based on the above contain Protein, Omega 3 & Vitamin E. Looks like I should start eating pumpkin or sesame seeds to improve my zinc! :)
@missyscorpio thanks, this is very helpful info. I have been taking walnuts, almond nuts & Brazil nuts too. Heeding advice from many ladies here that these nuts beneficial for implantation. Recently I also crushed & prepared a mixture of these nuts so have them readily available. Then will sprinkle 1-2 tsp on food/ dishes e.g. boiled eggs, porridge, vege etc as well to increase variety of ways to take them. Also been taking sesame seeds and chia seeds too tho didn't realize the specific benefits for ivf. But now I know better with this info. Thanks!

@littlemonkies Have consulted Prof Wong for the first time. Did some blood tests and now waiting for AF to arrive and do blood tests again on D2/3 after AF arrived. Hubby have yet to do his SA.

We hope we can do IVF this year as I am already 38. So not much time left.
Jiayou to you .... let me know what's your experience with Prof Wong and how're the labs there like can?

Good luck with your IVF :)

Keep the positivity & stay strong! Jia you!

Confirmed my BT negative & seen Dr and also spoken to embryologist. Will rest this cycle & go for day 5 blasties FET in Nov.

All the best to all. Let's all jia you!

Big hugs. Xin ku ni le.
You have did yr best. Go for a good meal. Jiayou!

Confirmed my BT negative & seen Dr and also spoken to embryologist. Will rest this cycle & go for day 5 blasties FET in Nov.

Sorry to hear that sweetheart. Best of luck for the next round! At least you had blasties which were good enough for freezing.... that's a good sign.

Same here I have been seeing her for nearly a year. I think I would like to stop seeing her. I did told her regarding my lining before. Seem like her herbal don't work on me. At least when I told Dr Zou she can still explain to me say my lining too thin can't do FET. I need to strengthen my lining and etc.
Actually not sure how u ladies determine whether herbs are gd? As in lining improvement? Or can lead to a bfp? Cos I hv v few scans and nv got to see a bfp, I only can confirm dr zou herbs can regulate v super long AF, reduce from 60 to 37days!!!

Hi Dawn, what I did then was to drink red bean soup (2 bowls) everyday to enhance my lining cos it had always been on the thinner side and I went jogging on alternate days (it was believed that exercising will enhance blood circulation to the uterus. Prior to that, I went to remove my remaining bad tube and asked the doc to do some scratches on the lining. I was given the green light to do the ET though the lining was 8mm.
Hi do the scratches hurt/ works??

Thanks all, you girls rock!!
Am grateful for all the supports here.
Actually, truth be told, I'm one of those ladies who continued to have cold drinks, raw sushi and fast food etc with my natural pregnancies.
But after having to go thru ivf, the efforts, time, money spent, physical / emotional turmoil, the recent bloody episodes and passing out of fetal tissues etc etc, I think my emotions just got the better of me.
Waiting to take my detailed scan at the imaging and diagnostic centre on level 2 now.
Sister how was it???? How are you?

Actually, truth be told, I'm one of those ladies who continued to have cold drinks, raw sushi and fast food etc with my natural pregnancies.
But after having to go thru ivf, the efforts, time, money spent, physical / emotional turmoil, the recent bloody episodes and passing out of fetal tissues etc etc, I think my emotions just got the better of me.
Waiting to take my detailed scan at the imaging and diagnostic centre on level 2 now.

Lets hope its one of it gets implanted! Praying hard for u!!

Keep us posted dear!!

Hi dramaqueenie,
Happy to hear that. How ur scan go. Everything okie?

Hi wondersss
You r on your to the finishing line. U indeed success. you r one of the toughest women I seen. Jia you. I just started my cycling.

Awesome dramaqueenie,

U sure have been thru alot! Stay positive and charge on!! A small prayer for you to proceed to a BFP n listening to heart beat!!! May u graduate from this forum!! Xoxox!!

Hi missyscoripo, my IVF journey is similar to you. Before my 3rd fresh I discuss with Dr Tan HH. Decided to use puergon+saizen. As my 1st fresh I BFP using that but m/c too. 2nd fresh another med, didn't response well. 3rd fresh I use back the med +saizen but is short cycle. I took abt 3-4mths before I start my 3rd cycles. I consider low amh n cold womb. During then I Tiao my body with tcm, accupture, royal jelly and coq10. I strike. Jia you. I did tell myself is 3rd fresh no luck. I would have give up. During cycling, I less stressful n relax. I did brisk walk too. My health condition improved with a bit of excerise n also eat health
May I know where can buy COQ 10 ? The brand name is COQ ?

my frozen Embryo is at day 3, supposed to transfer at day 5. Is it better to transfer at day 3 after thawing or at day 5? Scary the quality will drop due to stay in lab for two days . Any idea?

Hi missyscoripo, my IVF journey is similar to you. Before my 3rd fresh I discuss with Dr Tan HH. Decided to use puergon+saizen. As my 1st fresh I BFP using that but m/c too. 2nd fresh another med, didn't response well. 3rd fresh I use back the med +saizen but is short cycle. I took abt 3-4mths before I start my 3rd cycles. I consider low amh n cold womb. During then I Tiao my body with tcm, accupture, royal jelly and coq10. I strike. Jia you. I did tell myself is 3rd fresh no luck. I would have give up. During cycling, I less stressful n relax. I did brisk walk too. My health condition improved with a bit of excerise n also eat health
Besides cycling , can go swimming ? Will it be too cold for the womb ?

Hi dramaqueenie,
Happy to hear that. How ur scan go. Everything okie?

Thanks for all the love and concerns!
Kinda sianz to post on my updates cos it's like changing weather at every turn of the journey.
My detailed scan took 1hr+ then finally the sonographer located what he deems as a mass of cells (not sac).
By 1500-2000hcg levels, you are supposed to find a sac. I'm to retake beta tmr. If it's not doubling as it shd, then it's cfm a mass. If it's doubling, then do another detailed scan to see if can locate the sac or cfm if the mass is in fact the sac! To rule out ectopic, they couldn't locate any sac out of uterus too.
The thing is I have a long (unhappy) history with kkh with my earlier pregnancies. I hated early scans becos I have a high riding cervix. When still early, can't see from abdominal and seeing from below has its limitations becos the scope can only go that far. They always couldn't locate the sac and twice, I was misdiagnosed with ectopic and asked to do D&C the very night. Both times, I refused and preferred to wait out another 1-2 weeks before proceeding. And thanks God I did. And there was also 1 time, they could find the pregnancy sac the first time but during the second scan, they couldn't locate the sac anymore and found a mass instead and concluded I have lost the pregnancy. But my hcg came back doubling nicely then after referring to their senior consultant, they concurred that the mass is actually the sac. Sounds incredible ya... That's why I seriously hated all these early scans cos they put me thru a lot of unnecessary angst and worries. For myself only, I feel it's best to scan from ard 7-8 weeks cos bb is visible from the abdominal already. Sisters who don't have a high riding cervix, the sac should be seen/located without any issues

Good morning sisters! Today is my ultrasound day in the afternoon. I am just waiting for time to pass and have many different thoughts running in my mind. I am praying hard that heartbeat will be detected and heart rate will be normal. Finally waited till today but the time seems to be passing so slowly...

Kinda sianz to post on my updates cos it's like changing weather at every turn of the journey.
My detailed scan took 1hr+ then finally the sonographer located what he deems as a mass of cells (not sac).
By 1500-2000hcg levels, you are supposed to find a sac. I'm to retake beta tmr. If it's not doubling as it shd, then it's cfm a mass. If it's doubling, then do another detailed scan to see if can locate the sac or cfm if the mass is in fact the sac! To rule out ectopic, they couldn't locate any sac out of uterus too.
The thing is I have a long (unhappy) history with kkh with my earlier pregnancies. I hated early scans becos I have a high riding cervix. When still early, can't see from abdominal and seeing from below has its limitations becos the scope can only go that far. They always couldn't locate the sac and twice, I was misdiagnosed with ectopic and asked to do D&C the very night. Both times, I refused and preferred to wait out another 1-2 weeks before proceeding. And thanks God I did. And there was also 1 time, they could find the pregnancy sac the first time but during the second scan, they couldn't locate the sac anymore and found a mass instead and concluded I have lost the pregnancy. But my hcg came back doubling nicely then after referring to their senior consultant, they concurred that the mass is actually the sac. Sounds incredible ya... That's why I seriously hated all these early scans cos they put me thru a lot of unnecessary angst and worries. For myself only, I feel it's best to scan from ard 7-8 weeks cos bb is visible from the abdominal already. Sisters who don't have a high riding cervix, the sac should be seen/located without any issues

Hugs.. I understand abt the anxiety when doing scans at Kkh (gave me two scares in the impt scan), to the extent I go pte to scan now.

Believe hcg will doubled tomorrow.. For now, rest and stay positive k?

Big hugs to u for going through this. Must be so nerve wrecking. Why don't u go to a private gynae & see if the gynae can see anything? The last time I was doing detailed scan at KK. The sonographer was inexperienced & I had to repeat the story and timeline many times & she still get it wrong until a senior sonographer came in.

I still trust Dr Tan but then it's so difficult to get an appt to see him so in such situation, maybe go to a private gynae who can scan u to see?

Rest well and stay positive. Will be praying for you... and looking to hear good news tomorrow! *hugs*

be positive!! everything will be ok..

hoping this is a baby! *hugs*

I know what you mean..i have a problem with them when they removed my first ectopic too. After 1 mth from my op, i went back for a blood test, and they told me im still pregnant. They go by the book and not versatile enough. But then lately, i feel i really like THH so im still going to stick to him for my 2nd fresh. Hope you are well. Take care!

I have taken my tablets to induce menses and shud start cycle this month. Any cycle buddies. Am doing natural fet.

my frozen Embryo is at day 3, supposed to transfer at day 5. Is it better to transfer at day 3 after thawing or at day 5? Scary the quality will drop due to stay in lab for two days . Any idea?

It depends on how you see it.

My doctor initially told me to go for blastocyst because this would weed out the strong embryos from the weak, that I had 9 embryos which was a good number so she expected 3 - 4 to make it to blastocyst stage. She also said that blastocysts, being stronger, results in higher chances of pregnancy. I agreed and now I regret.

I had 24 eggs which became 9 viable embryos. Out of my 9 embryos, 6 were Grade 4 quality, 1 was Grade 3 and the last a Grade 2. 7 made it to become blastocysts by Day 5 but only 1 sufficiently suitable for transfer. So I transferred that good one and they observed the rest which were still growing. On day 6, the embryologist called to tell me the remaining 4 are turning dark, which is not a good sign. There were 2 which were fully developed to become blastocysts but they wanted to throw those away too because 'not growing at a pace that was quick enough' and hence, were unlikely to survive the freezing and thawing process. I was extremely upset. I had 24 freaking eggs and now I am effectively left with 1 blastocyst.

On hindsight, I should have taken a chance and transferred at Day 2 instead of Day 5. It would have been more inconvenient for me to try a few times but at least my embryos are given the natural environment to thrive and grow in. Now I will always wonder whether the lab's culture was good enough for my embryos and blastocysts. Whether my decision killed my good embryos which could possibly have made it in my womb's natural conditions.

My embryos were strong enough to become blastocysts so they were allegedly strong fighters. They were, however, slow developers. The lab could not keep them anymore because they don't have the technology to provide a suitable culture beyond Day 6 blastocysts. They also had not grown to a stage which could tolerate the technology currently used to freeze and thaw blastocysts. Had I just decided to go ahead with 2 embryos and freeze the rest of my viable embryos, I won't be left in my current predicament of having only 1 blastocyst left. If this blastie fails to stick, I am left with NOTHING.

In short, I am very upset with my own decision. The doctors and embryologists have their own interests and if theirs coincide with yours, good and fine. I accept that the doctor's advice is good if I am someone who wants a higher chance at pregnancy from this stage. However, given my desire to want this to be my very last cycle, I should have considered the tactical advantage of being able to freeze and use my embryos for future cycles.

I was also extremely put off by the embryologist, whom i think tried to shove her decision down my throat by repeatedly saying 'WE HAVE DECIDED not to freeze the blastocysts'. I was stunned and asked 'don't I have a say in this?'. She seemed taken aback by my question, stuttered a bit and finally conceded, 'yes, you do'. Despite her 'decision', I directed her to freeze the 2 fully developed blastocysts. They may not survive but I am being stubborn. I must at least try to save my blasties. I think the embryologist's approach was definitely not right in terms of respecting patient's rights and obtaining informed consent.

Hi dramaqueenie,
Wishing and praying the best for your beta tomorrow. Jia you!

Jia you . Will it be too risky to transfer at day 5 as it need to be cultive in the lab for 2-3 days . May I know how did you look for embryologist to talk too ? I h

My doctor initially told me to go for blastocyst because this would weed out the strong embryos from the weak, that I had 9 embryos which was a good number so she expected 3 - 4 to make it to blastocyst stage. She also said that blastocysts, being stronger, results in higher chances of pregnancy. I agreed and now I regret.

I had 24 eggs which became 9 viable embryos. Out of my 9 embryos, 6 were Grade 4 quality, 1 was Grade 3 and the last a Grade 2. 7 made it to become blastocysts by Day 5 but only 1 sufficiently suitable for transfer. So I transferred that good one and they observed the rest which were still growing. On day 6, the embryologist called to tell me the remaining 4 are turning dark, which is not a good sign. There were 2 which were fully developed to become blastocysts but they wanted to throw those away too because 'not growing at a pace that was quick enough' and hence, were unlikely to survive the freezing and thawing process. I was extremely upset. I had 24 freaking eggs and now I am effectively left with 1 blastocyst.

On hindsight, I should have taken a chance and transferred at Day 2 instead of Day 5. It would have been more inconvenient for me to try a few times but at least my embryos are given the natural environment to thrive and grow in. Now I will always wonder whether the lab's culture was good enough for my embryos and blastocysts. Whether my decision killed my good embryos which could possibly have made it in my womb's natural conditions.

My embryos were strong enough to become blastocysts so they were allegedly strong fighters. They were, however, slow developers. The lab could not keep them anymore because they don't have the technology to provide a suitable culture beyond Day 6 blastocysts. They also had not grown to a stage which could tolerate the technology currently used to freeze and thaw blastocysts. Had I just decided to go ahead with 2 embryos and freeze the rest of my viable embryos, I won't be left in my current predicament of having only 1 blastocyst left. If this blastie fails to stick, I am left with NOTHING.

In short, I am very upset with my own decision. The doctors and embryologists have their own interests and if theirs coincide with yours, good and fine. I accept that the doctor's advice is good if I am someone who wants a higher chance at pregnancy from this stage. However, given my desire to want this to be my very last cycle, I should have considered the tactical advantage of being able to freeze and use my embryos for future cycles.

I was also extremely put off by the embryologist, whom i think tried to shove her decision down my throat by repeatedly saying 'WE HAVE DECIDED not to freeze the blastocysts'. I was stunned and asked 'don't I have a say in this?'. She seemed taken aback by my question, stuttered a bit and finally conceded, 'yes, you do'. Despite her 'decision', I directed her to freeze the 2 fully developed blastocysts. They may not survive but I am being stubborn. I must at least try to save my blasties. I think the embryologist's approach was definitely not right in terms of respecting patient's rights and obtaining informed consent.

Thank you for your sharing sister .

Tomorrow is my Beta Did natural FET with 2 blasties....today i tested it negative....wil be resting a few months before i try FET again...(must go see embryologist see if any survive....)
Feel disappointed but I will get over it I tell myself. It true what is your is your...what is not is not....no point forcing it....

Officially negative...from Beta....will review and see Doc in early Nov..... Jia You everyone.

I just started yesterday. How's your scan this morning Towkay Neo
Boo, gotta go back tomorrow again - lining today is 10.5mm (from 6.4mm from 2nd scan), couple of follicles, biggest is 17mm, smallest is 8-10mm lo...
Tomorrow go and scan and see can do ER next week or not. You?

Yup, definitely will feel pek cek after all the efforts to retrieve so many eggs only to have one as viable...hope your golden blastie stick all the way!

Boo, gotta go back tomorrow again - lining today is 10.5mm (from 6.4mm from 2nd scan), couple of follicles, biggest is 17mm, smallest is 8-10mm lo...
Tomorrow go and scan and see can do ER next week or not. You?
Mine just day 1 yesterday, was told on day 8 to do first scan - see how the follicles grow. Yours looks good, I think you should be able to do ER very soon!

Back