IVF/ICSI Support Group

I had menopur on my first ivf but no side effects.
Hi Enchanted,

Many thanks for your reply:)
May I know how many days you will on it?
I'm under referral so never meet my doc except once.
Also for jabbing lucrin and menopur, do you jab 2 different sides. I forgot to ask the nurse so for convenience I just jab all the same side. Of course I alternate L and R everyday but both jabs Same side on same day.

Last edited:
Hi Oceandeep,

Sorry I missed your post. I started jab on day 21 of my menses cycle.
I not too sure if it affects, but one hurdle at a time for me. Can't worry about maternity benefits when I hvnt clear all the impt stages :)

Hi
Can I ask you something? I will most probably go for long protocol. My first appointment is on CD13. I wonder when I can have my jabs. Thanks.
Oh and if you apply no pay leave, does that mean you won't be entitled to the maternity benefits ?

Hi Enchanted,

Also for jabbing lucrin and menopur, do you jab 2 different sides. I forgot to ask the nurse so for convenience I just jab all the same side. Of course I alternate L and R everyday but both jabs Same side on same day.

Sorry I lost my record so not sure how many days I was on it. If I'm not wrong should be 10-11 days. But I think my body did not respond well to it and in the end only got 3 eggs retrieved.
I also checked with the nurses every time and they said can be alternate side. I'm doing exactly like you too, jabbing alternate side everyday.

Hi

I have 2 boxes and 7 tablets + 7 capsules of conceive well, any1 keen? Expiry in May 2015
1 box at $32
2 boxes at $70 plus the 7+7 tablets/capsules

1 premium bee pollen from honey world 250g from honey world, only taken once
$30

1 unopen DHEA from KkH $20
Free 1 open DHEA from Kkh and 1 open Dhea from iherbs, can give if you are keen but both are not full bottled as I have taken some.

Pls send me a Pm if keen

morning ladies, need some advice as i'm doing my first ivf cycle at Kkh this mth n my last doc visit was in Sept so need some 'refresher'

1) full flow came today n i understand Kkivf is closed.. so i just gif the Hp no a call tml n wait for shld i just go kkh straight tml?
2) when should hubby clear b4 e ER? correct me if wrong that hubby needs to produce a sample doing ER day
3) if hubby nt free during ER day, how much in advance must we let them know? or does it mean tt the cycle will b cancelled?

thks in advance!!

Hi Enchanted,

Hi j snow.. For referral case we dun get to c doc?

Thanks Enchanted for your patience in replying to my queries.:)

Sorry I lost my record so not sure how many days I was on it. If I'm not wrong should be 10-11 days. But I think my body did not respond well to it and in the end only got 3 eggs retrieved.
I also checked with the nurses every time and they said can be alternate side. I'm doing exactly like you too, jabbing alternate side everyday.

Hi j snow.. For referral case we dun get to c doc?

Hi babe,

I only saw my dr once. The first visit I did not get to see him, I saw another doctor, like an assistant?
She just record your history on TTC, order blood test, scans and etc. After all the tests are done, then I get to see my doctor

morning ladies, need some advice as i'm doing my first ivf cycle at Kkh this mth n my last doc visit was in Sept so need some 'refresher'

1) full flow came today n i understand Kkivf is closed.. so i just gif the Hp no a call tml n wait for shld i just go kkh straight tml?
2) when should hubby clear b4 e ER? correct me if wrong that hubby needs to produce a sample doing ER day
3) if hubby nt free during ER day, how much in advance must we let them know? or does it mean tt the cycle will b cancelled?

thks in advance!!
Lazybee, for first qns not so sure. But if I were you, I will just pop by at kkh in the morning to ask if it's not too troublesome for you. As kkivf is very busy in the morning, quite hard to get them on the phone.

For 2nd qns on when hubby should clear, the nurse did tell me that for ivf hubby's sperm can be up to 1 week old. But personally, hubby and me still clear up to 3-4 days before ER.

And on your last qns, does your hubby have backup sperm in kk sperm bank? If not, if it's cancelled all the jab you do will be so wasted. To keep a backup sperm, it has to be done in the menses cycle before the ivf cycle (if I remember correctly).

Hope the above helps! ;)

Hi babe,

I only saw my dr once. The first visit I did not get to see him, I saw another doctor, like an assistant?
She just record your history on TTC, order blood test, scans and etc. After all the tests are done, then I get to see my doctor

Oic.... I have not call to make any appt.. Normally after you all call to make appt... How long is the waiting interval? Need to wait at least 1 to mths for ur appt?

Babe, is yours referral?

Mine I got referral from polyclinic with a date with KK.
From then on, you do a series a tests and decide on which menses cycle you can start your ivf as well as decide with your doc on whether long or short protocol.
Once decided, you end with a counselling session. As mine is long protocol, they will ask you to call day 1 of your menses so that they can set up an appointment for your jab at D21.

hope the info is useful

Oic.... I have not call to make any appt.. Normally after you all call to make appt... How long is the waiting interval? Need to wait at least 1 to mths for ur appt?

thks in advance!!

1) Give a call tomorrow morning and wait for them to call back to tell you when to go down for scan (since the scan can be done either day 2 or 3 of menses). Try calling after 8.30am where chances of your call being picked up will be higher. The staff also need time to prepare your file, so if you walk in without calling be prepared to wait for your file to be prepared before going for scan.
2) Ideally should clear about 3-5 days before ER. Or get hubby to clear every 3-5 days during your injections.
3) If it's already known that hubby will not be free on ER day (overseas travel e.g.), let the staff know after your first scan. They'll arrange sperm freezing for hubby. Do not wait until when preparing for ER to inform!

1) Give a call tomorrow morning and wait for them to call back to tell you when to go down for scan (since the scan can be done either day 2 or 3 of menses). Try calling after 8.30am where chances of your call being picked up will be higher. The staff also need time to prepare your file, so if you walk in without calling be prepared to wait for your file to be prepared before going for scan.
2) Ideally should clear about 3-5 days before ER. Or get hubby to clear every 3-5 days during your injections.
3) If it's already known that hubby will not be free on ER day (overseas travel e.g.), let the staff know after your first scan. They'll arrange sperm freezing for hubby. Do not wait until when preparing for ER to inform!
Lazybee, for first qns not so sure. But if I were you, I will just pop by at kkh in the morning to ask if it's not too troublesome for you. As kkivf is very busy in the morning, quite hard to get them on the phone.

For 2nd qns on when hubby should clear, the nurse did tell me that for ivf hubby's sperm can be up to 1 week old. But personally, hubby and me still clear up to 3-4 days before ER.

And on your last qns, does your hubby have backup sperm in kk sperm bank? If not, if it's cancelled all the jab you do will be so wasted. To keep a backup sperm, it has to be done in the menses cycle before the ivf cycle (if I remember correctly).

Hope the above helps! ;)
hopeful13 n skyangel, thks for ur advice!!

i got meeting at office tml at 10am n can't cancel so if need to go down, only afternoon liao .. i might try n call in e morning.. last time tried calling, e line always.. n tml Monday shld b busier?

noted abt e clearing advice.. really useful to know.. cuz during doc visit in Sept only look thru case file den arrange for ivf liao.. Haha..

hubby no backup sperm now.. its just smth we thot about cuz he's a teacher so i scared ER day he may not b free to come down.. hopefully dun need to go down this route~

Happy peanut,
Yes, I do inform my sch mgt about my ivf plan. My job really can't allow me take leave as n when I like, my p dun like us taking mc. But I must think of myself so I just go ahead n do it.

Babe, is yours referral?

Mine I got referral from polyclinic with a date with KK.
From then on, you do a series a tests and decide on which menses cycle you can start your ivf as well as decide with your doc on whether long or short protocol.
Once decided, you end with a counselling session. As mine is long protocol, they will ask you to call day 1 of your menses so that they can set up an appointment for your jab at D21.

hope the info is useful
I gt a referral letter from my gynae.. He ask me to make appt myself.

Happy peanut,
Yes, I do inform my sch mgt about my ivf plan. My job really can't allow me take leave as n when I like, my p dun like us taking mc. But I must think of myself so I just go ahead n do it.

Good for you! My sup also difficult, requested for doctor's letter etc even though I have appointments and letter to show I have started on my ivf cycle. So I'm trying to apply this week and see her response. *cross fingers*

Happy peanut,

I supposed the biggest impact will be the 19 days leave from ER onwards. Have you prepared yr mgt on this? It's tough not to hv AL.

Hi Oceandeep,

Sorry I missed your post. I started jab on day 21 of my menses cycle.
I not too sure if it affects, but one hurdle at a time for me. Can't worry about maternity benefits when I hvnt clear all the impt stages :)
Thanks jsnow for info! I can't wait for my appointment to see the doc so that I can start planning my leave.

I dun think i will tell my boss i doing ivf..

Normally how long is the mc?

For my first cycle, I took 14 days HL after the FET. This cycle I only took 3 days HL. Curz it's private I can opt for number of days. But I didt take this cycle because too fed up....
I rather go to work & be distracted. :cool:

Hi archie7,thanks for e reply. Tsb medicine needs to be taken injection time?not after er uh

@connie_hopeful Sorry for the slow reply. That was what I remember, taking her medicine every few days during stim injections, stop during ER and ET (you should tell her which days you're doing those as soon as you know, but she's quite good at guessing the dates herself anyway), then resume during 2ww.

@ashley11
For ur questions
1) previously i did in a way quit or took less relief classes to hv bb, cos my field of work involves handling children, many a times not easy to see chn EVERYDAY and be reminded that i dun hv one myself, what is worse is i encountered many parents who are the 'bochap' kind..so double the pain..well also our field we need to squat and kneel and carry children as well as getting colds and flu are normal in our profession so not good esp during stimulations and 2ww
2) My hubby and myself actually has already signed up for adoption courses, but it was full last year so we were on waiting list until later this year. At first my hubby was rather closed to adoption but my mil and myself wanted to give other children a good loving home..at last i convinced my hubby that we can get a child to call our own yet help the other child who is homeless/unloved to hv a loving family. So a win win situation..even though bfp now, we are thinking to adopt another 1 later and also open to fostering, so that many other poor children get help.

As a christian point of view, agree with @Archie7 :)

That is just really wonderful that you're keen to adopt (and foster)! My friend's niece adopted a baby girl born to a Singaporean mother at birth and has never looked back since. I'm sure the life of a child (or possibly more) will be forever changed for the better thanks to you. God bless your beautiful heart!

Thank you Archie7 and idazahs for giving me this much needed information. My sis in law and family are staunch Catholics and hubby intention of telling them about our ivf journey was hoping for family support but it was not as they started telling us to re-think our options and hope that God will guide us in our family planning. Hubby is born Catholic and I am neither Catholic nor christian. Was quite angry and upset with them. Thanks for your views which will help me if they try to talk to me about it again. I know I am not alone. :)
Hopeful I have friends who are catholic and they are open to ivf too. A friend even send me a prayer and encourage me to pray even though I am not catholic.

Someone told a story before in forum long time ago. I remember something like this....A man was drowning and a boat pass by wanting to rescue him. He rejected saying God will save me. Next A helicopter came and want to rescue him and again he rejected. Finally he drowned and confront God why didn't he save him. He replied I did I send a boat n helicopter but u refuse to be help. Though is just a story but something to think about.

So it seems like even Catholics have widely differing opinions on IVF, which is not surprising. @hopeful13 , I feel that your sis-in-law and her family have no right to interfere with your personal decision on child-bearing, whether on religious grounds or otherwise. It is a deeply personal matter between you, your hubby, and God. Don't expect any support from them as they will simply try to influence you with their views, although they may have what they believe are good intentions.

Ultimately, I believe that as long as your own conscience is clear and does not disturb you, that is all that really matters and you may proceed to use assisted reproductive technology.

Let me share a story of mine. Once, at a church dinner, a couple shared their testimony on their infertility. I would not even classify them as "infertile"; they were more likely naive, as the husband promised his grandmother at his wedding that he will give her a great grandchild within a year! That didn't turn out so well for them, so they were stuck with an impossible expectation that they thought they could easily fulfill. They started on IVF, but pulled out at the last minute as presumably, God spoke to the husband to trust Him, and the husband took it as a sign that doing IVF was not trusting God! They merely went to see TSB for TCM and voila, about 8 days after God revealed a biblical verse to the husband, he found out that his wife was pregnant! I was so upset with the testimony that night that I ran out of the hall crying and left the dinner early. I was extremely disappointed that God didn't speak to me at all, unlike what He did with the couple - was I not faithful enough to God that I did not deserve hearing from Him? I was also wracked with guilt that somehow, my going for IVF was an act of disobedience against God.

I carried these terrible feelings with me until I spoke with a childless couple from the same church, who told me that God speaks to His children through the Holy Spirit in the form of their consciences, so my hubby and I should allow our consciences to guide us when deciding on IVF. If our consciences tell us we're sinning against God, then we should stop. But if our consciences are silent and we are at peace, then we should not let anything else stop us. Well, our consciences were clear and I have never felt such amazing peace from God throughout out my IVF journey, as I laid everything at His feet.

Sorry that I'm long-winded, but I hope my experience can help you feel better about how to relate to others on this sensitive issue.

Been having fever on & off past few days...I didn't see any GP Curz I don't want to take meds as I'm on my 2ww.
Could fever mean bad news?
My blood test is only due next week :(

A fever may mean many things, it could be a symptom of flu or it may be a sign of infection, which is rare but ER is a procedure so there is a tiny risk of infection. Normal panadol (not panadol extra) is safe to take. But I encourage you to see a GP and just let him/her know what you've been up to with IVF, and see what they say from there. If you want to play safe, go to KKH A&E and have them do a thorough check (maybe thru a blood test) to make sure it's not a sign of infection from the ER.

Not taking meds is not necessarily a good thing all the time.

@connie_hopeful Sorry for the slow reply. That was what I remember, taking her medicine every few days during stim injections, stop during ER and ET (you should tell her which days you're doing those as soon as you know, but she's quite good at guessing the dates herself anyway), then resume during 2ww.

Hi archie7,thanks for e reply. No problem, i know we gals are bz, me too. I will ask tsb when i visit her next rnd :)

My menses just came this morning... Now waiting for full flow. Can't wait to start my fet!

Good luck to sisters who are on this month cycle!

So it seems like even Catholics have widely differing opinions on IVF, which is not surprising. @hopeful13 , I feel that your sis-in-law and her family have no right to interfere with your personal decision on child-bearing, whether on religious grounds or otherwise. It is a deeply personal matter between you, your hubby, and God. Don't expect any support from them as they will simply try to influence you with their views, although they may have what they believe are good intentions.

Ultimately, I believe that as long as your own conscience is clear and does not disturb you, that is all that really matters and you may proceed to use assisted reproductive technology.

Let me share a story of mine. Once, at a church dinner, a couple shared their testimony on their infertility. I would not even classify them as "infertile"; they were more likely naive, as the husband promised his grandmother at his wedding that he will give her a great grandchild within a year! That didn't turn out so well for them, so they were stuck with an impossible expectation that they thought they could easily fulfill. They started on IVF, but pulled out at the last minute as presumably, God spoke to the husband to trust Him, and the husband took it as a sign that doing IVF was not trusting God! They merely went to see TSB for TCM and voila, about 8 days after God revealed a biblical verse to the husband, he found out that his wife was pregnant! I was so upset with the testimony that night that I ran out of the hall crying and left the dinner early. I was extremely disappointed that God didn't speak to me at all, unlike what He did with the couple - was I not faithful enough to God that I did not deserve hearing from Him? I was also wracked with guilt that somehow, my going for IVF was an act of disobedience against God.

I carried these terrible feelings with me until I spoke with a childless couple from the same church, who told me that God speaks to His children through the Holy Spirit in the form of their consciences, so my hubby and I should allow our consciences to guide us when deciding on IVF. If our consciences tell us we're sinning against God, then we should stop. But if our consciences are silent and we are at peace, then we should not let anything else stop us. Well, our consciences were clear and I have never felt such amazing peace from God throughout out my IVF journey, as I laid everything at His feet.

Sorry that I'm long-winded, but I hope my experience can help you feel better about how to relate to others on this sensitive issue.
Hi Archie, thank you for sharing your story. It did brought some comfort to me. :)

Any just to check. For FET, when do i needs to start the egg whites?

And brazil nuts, chicken essence, ensure milk, red dates all to start taking during 2ww? Or anything i have to consume when i start my cycle?

I want to say a big thank you to all the ladies here. I realised I was so ill-prepared going into this IVF.
I only started reading the forum here when i started my Lucrin and I was flabbergasted!!
I did not even eat the food and vitamins that your have suggested. I started exercising abit more only that was my only preparation and the folic acid that doc gave.
Now I have to play catch-up.... *keep fingers cross again*

Feeling very stressed up...like I did not do enough like that!

I want to say a big thank you to all the ladies here. I realised I was so ill-prepared going into this IVF.
I only started reading the forum here when i started my Lucrin and I was flabbergasted!!
I did not even eat the food and vitamins that your have suggested. I started exercising abit more only that was my only preparation and the folic acid that doc gave.

Don't worry. I went into my first cycle without reading abt anythg such as what to eat, what not to do etc. I just plunged straight in. Even this second cycle I only joined this forum in the mid of my 2ww because I'm tired of reading western forums & there's no one I can talk to about this. My mum & mil can't understand my feelings because they didn't go through infertility & they dunno anyone on ivf.

So yeap, don't worry! Just maintain diet & eat meds on time :)

i aso haven start on any vitamins lei.. i dunno what to start wif.. so sad =(

i only eat my tcm med...

Can anyone advise what to start wif?

Back