Intermediate risk for Down Syndrome

I just went for 12 week detailed scan and the result for Down syndrome is intermediate. I’m unable to go for further diagnostic tests to check as I have a vanishing twin, which would apparently render tests like oscar, panorama, nipt test results inaccurate.

Just wondering if anyone had an intermediate or high risk result from a detailed scan before, but child turned out fine in the end?

Sorry to hear that. It must be a very stressful time for u. I wish i have more advise but just hope everything turns out ok for u.

Is it twin pregnancy? Thats why gynae said blood test such as harmony test will be inaccurate? Am also having twin pregnancy so I understand the worry you are facing. I didn't do any blood test due to the inaccuracy as advised by the gynae. During the detailed scan my babies are okay but can't stop worrying too.

Hope that your babies are okay. I saw similar situation like ur case frm Fb group, you can join FB "SG parents of twins and triples" to read the experiences shared by the mummies.

Is it twin pregnancy? Thats why gynae said blood test such as harmony test will be inaccurate? Am also having twin pregnancy so I understand the worry you are facing. I didn't do any blood test due to the inaccuracy as advised by the gynae. During the detailed scan my babies are okay but can't stop worrying too.

Hope that your babies are okay. I saw similar situation like ur case frm Fb group, you can join FB "SG parents of twins and triples" to read the experiences shared by the mummies.

Thanks jojo, yes mine was twin pregnancy but one twin wasn’t viable, so it’s becoming a vanishing twin. But it’s dna material is still around hence gynae said further tests will be inaccurate.

Congrats on ur twin pregnancy!:)

I just went for 12 week detailed scan and the result for Down syndrome is intermediate. I’m unable to go for further diagnostic tests to check as I have a vanishing twin, which would apparently render tests like oscar, panorama, nipt test results inaccurate.

Just wondering if anyone had an intermediate or high risk result from a detailed scan before, but child turned out fine in the end?

Hi! I was in the same situation as you. I had a vanishing twin and was unable to take the NIPT, panorama. However I did take the Oscar. My boy’s nasal bone is present and neck thickness acceptable during the scan. Overall combined, it was intermediate risk for T21 and T18.

During wk12 detailed scan, they would have checked the nasal bone and neck thickness too?

Hi! I was in the same situation as you. I had a vanishing twin and was unable to take the NIPT, panorama. However I did take the Oscar. My boy’s nasal bone is present and neck thickness acceptable during the scan. Overall combined, it was intermediate risk for T21 and T18.

During wk12 detailed scan, they would have checked the nasal bone and neck thickness too?

yes during week 12 detail scan they will check both too

When my report showed intermediate risks and yet I can’t carry out other tests due to my vanishing twin, I was really worried. However my gynae went through the report and explained the numbers to me and made me feel more at ease.

I can’t deny I do feel paranoid at times throughout the 9 months so I can totally understand your worries. When that happens, I’ll talk to the little one and distract myself by preparing the baby stuff.

I just delivered my boy 2 weeks ago and all it’s good!

Last edited:
When my report showed intermediate risks and yet I can’t carry out other tests due to my vanishing twin, I was really worried. However my gynae went through the report and explained the numbers to me and made me feel more at ease.

I can’t deny I do feel paranoid at times throughout the 9 months so I can totally understand your worries. When that happens, I’ll talk to the little one and distract myself by preparing the baby stuff.

I just delivered my boy 2 weeks ago and all it’s good!

Thanks so much for ur replies plaincosine! That’s really reassuring to hear and I’m glad everything turned out good for u in the end:)

The doc said my baby’s neck skin thickness is on the thicker side hence it resulted in the intermediate risk result. Nasal bone was present, everything else seemed alright except the neck skin thickness being on the thicker side. I’m considering going for amniocentesis after my week 16 scan results (n if the results is still not that good).

Thanks so much for ur replies plaincosine! That’s really reassuring to hear and I’m glad everything turned out good for u in the end:)

The doc said my baby’s neck skin thickness is on the thicker side hence it resulted in the intermediate risk result. Nasal bone was present, everything else seemed alright except the neck skin thickness being on the thicker side. I’m considering going for amniocentesis after my week 16 scan results (n if the results is still not that good).

I see. For me, the risk was increased due to my age. My next available option was amniocentesis too but everything was fine during my 20th week scan so I didn’t proceed with that.

I read that the vanishing twin will turn into an angel and protect our baby. So have faith and you can always PM me if you feel worried and need someone to talk to! :)

Hope all goes well for your 16 week scan!

I see. For me, the risk was increased due to my age. My next available option was amniocentesis too but everything was fine during my 20th week scan so I didn’t proceed with that.

I read that the vanishing twin will turn into an angel and protect our baby. So have faith and you can always PM me if you feel worried and need someone to talk to! :)

Hope all goes well for your 16 week scan!

Thank you for the kind words n offer plaincosine! Yes it’s a reassuring thought that our vanishing twin will be a guardian angel for our baby:)

Hoping for the best for week 16!!

Thank you for the kind words n offer plaincosine! Yes it’s a reassuring thought that our vanishing twin will be a guardian angel for our baby:)

Hoping for the best for week 16!!

May I know if you have done amnio? I am facing a similar situation as you.... it's devastating... I'm trying my best not to be pessimistic as I believe baby can feel my emotions...

May I know if you have done amnio? I am facing a similar situation as you.... it's devastating... I'm trying my best not to be pessimistic as I believe baby can feel my emotions...

Sorry for the late reply, haven’t checked this space in awhile. Yes in the end I went for the amnio just to get a peace of mind, even though all indicators were still medium risk and subsequent scans did not show any major problems. Luckily, everything turned out fine and I can finally enjoy the rest of the pregnancy journey instead of constantly worrying. If u’re really worried abt this, might be worth it to just go for the test to get a peace of mind. Hope everything turns out fine for u too

Back