Cooking Tips & Recipe

Hi everyone. Thought I'd share the cake I baked for my niece today. It's the first time I tried making a "human" cartoon character - getting the facial bits done and colouring the icing to get beige colour was a bit challenging - but I had lots of fun. Most importantly, my niece who is crazy about Hercules was really thrilled. The way her face lit up when she saw the cake made all the hard work worthwhile
happy.gif
Have a good weekend, everyone!

678758.jpg

Annelise,
When are u inviting us over to taste your cake? hehehe...They are always so professionally made!

Van,
Went Daiso yesterday. Bought some Jap soup spoons and chopsticks. Din see the Lint remover though. Will go there again next time without my baby cos it is so difficult to manuvoure the pram around the tight aisle
sad.gif
So yesterday it is a touch and go thingy. Will take leave then go there and slowly browse ;p

Sophie,
U must be excited and counting down right? Actually I am excited for you
happy.gif

Ambrosial,
Kaypoh a bit, what area are you working in? The job market is now quite good so you can take your time to get one that u really comfortable with...

Annelise,

Very impressive!Looks very professional!
happy.gif

Krisjoy,

We're working in the same area ie same profession
Job scope is more impt to me than the pay itself actually....hope i'm not being too picky:p

Ambrosial,
I see ;p For me now, job scope no longer matters too much but there should not be excessive overtime...currently, i only need to work late about twice per month due to closing. But my co's welfare is not very good. So will switch job if there a good offer...

Krisjoy,

I want to have complete mastery of the entire spectrum within the next few years.
Am alright with OT, as long as it's not too excessive, like 9pm or 10pm daily.

Annelise,
Your cake is so professionally done!Really tough to get the right shades of skin tone.The wordings also look professional! Can sell liaoz!

How's your HK pineapple tarts? Got pict?

Krisjoy,
Did your hb go Daiso with you? Can ask him to push the baby in stroller and have coffee outside, while you shop peacefully....

Ambrosial,Krisjoy,
Not just OT.(especially during month-end,year-end closing,audit period,stock-take period).Once have kids....don't feel like taking on jobs that require travelling, even if it's just regional travelling around Asia...

Van,

I fear auditors the most..
Yes, I'm also not considering jobs that require travelling.Really puts a strain on the marriage..

Van,
Yes, hb went with me. IMM was super crowded on weekends so he can't even get a table for coffee at Kopitiam. Think I still prefer to take leave to shop as there will be less people too. Not so chaotic.

Fully agree with you on the job requirements! In our line, there is always endless dealines ya! I dun mind travelling like twice a year but excessive OT is a no-no lor. Only get to see my dd about 2 hours every weekday since she sleeps around 9:30pm so OT means no interaction with her. In fact, will be OTing tmw nite...

Ambrosial,
Why fear auditors? Thought their requirements are quite standard.Same schedules every year...

For me, I think taxation review period and stock-take period,ad-hoc projects more straining then audit.

But companies without regional presence may be quite small....and can't afford to pay much...

Krisjoy,
Don't think can ever avoid OT as long as remain in this line.....,it's just how much and how often OT... US companies deadlines even more SIONG! Heard from auditors that to meet US companies reporting deadlines, they often have to work through the nights to get the audit report and audited financial statements out...

Hi everyone, thanks for your encouraging words! Been busy today cos' my younger dd caught the flu bug and is super spoilt and fussy when she's not well! Had to take her to the paed, go marketing, prep lunch and fetch dd1 - I'm exhausted by noon!

Hi twinkle-starry, I haven't been baking much - am hoping to do so this week. I've been busy spring cleaning and the chores never seem to get done!

Hi Krisjoy, we should all meet up and have a pot-luck when all your babies are a bit older - we'll each cook/ bake our specialty dish - that'll be fun, ya? I agree that the aisles in Daiso are very narrow - you should take half a day off on of these days and shop to your heart's content!

Hi Ambrosial, I used to be in the same profession as you too! I was in corporate tax, dabbled in regional acc for a year and then consulting which was what I loved best but it required lots of travelling- which was why I had to have an early "retirement" and be a SAHM. I do miss the work - but I dislike the politicking! Dun think I'll be able to re-join the profession when my kids are older - maybe I'll be a professional baker next time!

Hi Van, the lettering not so good - by the time I was piping her name, the choc started to solidify in piping bag - had a tough time squeezing it out!! I had no time to bake the HK tarts leh! Did you bake anything for CNY? My mum finished making her love-letters and tarts already and I haven't started on anything! Need to get everything ready by this weekend so that I can go distribute them to my in-laws. Btw, what is the diff bewteen the NZ abalone and the Oz ones? I noticed the Oz ones are slightly more ex, but do they really taste nicer? I saw a lady buying a lot of Mexican abalones from NTUC and they were almost double the price of the Oz ones! Hehe, she didn't look too friendly so I didn't dare ask her if they were worth the money!

Van,

Their endless demands and questions...dunno lah damn bo eng or maybe i am not a super communicative person..

I don't mind a lower pay, but it must not be way off tangent lah..

Heh heh the poor auditors at kpmg..work late nights almost daily..
proud.gif

Krisjoy and Annelise,

Most women in our profession either retire early or go into teaching.Who knows, I may be one of them in the near future.
proud.gif

Meeting deadlines and having bad menstrual cramps -that's when i really feel the strain.
Or a friend said she HAD to meet you, and you schedule your time around her, only to be cancelled an hour b4 the appt- that's when i feel like killing people.

Van and Ambrosial,
I have been working in US companies for the past 10 over years so am quite immune to the tight reporting deadlines. Good thing about US company is that they give you a lot of freedom to manage your work as long as you deliver. Somehow when I change jobs, I always ended up in US companies...

Annelise,
Yes, we should do that one of these days. Then we can see how each of look us and taste everyone's cooking!
happy.gif

Krisjoy,

I thought US MNCs have pretty good welfare, as in more pro-family, better pay and more autonomy over work..

For me, I'll prefer a small local company, where i can see and handle the entire flow from start to end.

Wow, you girls all previously in the same line!

Ambrosial,
I thought you "looked" more of the creative sort, like the kind I'll find in graphics line!
happy.gif

Sophie,

I wish I'm in the graphics line...

Excited about bb?
happy.gif

My mom and I went shopping for niece's CNY outfit, and bought a super sweet pink sleeveless tshirt with matching panty from Elle Kids.Can't wait to see my cute niece in them!
happy.gif

Ambrosial,
Yep, very excited
happy.gif

Shopping for little girls' clothes very fun hor? My hubby likes doing that too - everything must be pink **faintz**

Ambrosial,Krisjoy,

I thought US company has good welfare as well. My hb's working for US company now, welfare not as good as his previous UK based company,but still consider quite ok.

Sophie,
Counting down by hours...
684370.gif

Annelise,
No time to bake...busy with spring cleaning and running errands.

Was told that OZ ones taste better than NZ, thought I can't tell much difference. My uncle used to buy those Mexican abalone, I also can't tell that they are that fantastic.I just like the textture of abalone...so any brand is fine with me.

Hello thermal pot club members,

I managed to find another online store that sell the thermal pot cookbooks. The illustratons are in both English and Chinese.

I've just emailed them to enquire about stock status and air-mail postage to Singapore for bulkd orders.

As my previous order with yessasia.com was cancelled because the books were out of stocks, I am not sure whether this store really have the stocks.

Uploaded the infor here,let me know anyone of you are interested.....Open to Cooking thread members only.

Will put up more details once they confirm have stocks.

684404.jpg
684405.jpg

684406.gif

684407.gif

684408.gif

Sophie,
What time are you checking in? Tonite or tomorrow? So exciting leh...

Krisjoy,
At least you can "design" your new home that is already child proof
happy.gif
Now I gotta child proof and more work. Then keep those vases and glass things in the storeroom till not much space left.

annelise,
You are very good in drawing and very creative... Your cake looks very delicious.

Today, I used the thermal pot to cook brown rice porridge. One cup of brown rice and 5 cups of water. No need to soak the brown rice before hand. I boiled it over the stove for 15 minutes only, then transfer to the pot.
2 hours later, the porridge is rather dry but very soft and nice
happy.gif
Softer than the one hour boiling over the stove with all the mess...
hahaha... so happy
happy.gif
Must thank you gals for recommending me thermal pot. Thank you very much
happy.gif
Arigato gozaimasu
happy.gif

Next time, I will try to cook brown rice in there already
happy.gif
I tried to cook brown rice in the microwave, and it still needs at least half an hour.

Van,
Hee, that's a cute icon!

Ambrosial,
Hair accessories? Haha, silly gynae told me my baby not much hair leh, so I never buy any hair things
happy.gif
Wait till a few months old let the hair grow more first!

lyn,
I'm checking in tomorrow at 1pm.
Woah, your brown rice porridge sounds good - did you use normal brown rice or wu gu mi?
If you managed to cook brown rice in the thermal pot, can let me know the proportions of rice + water + cooking time? Thanks in advance!
I currently cook brown rice in rice cooker - but halfway thru cooking, I will turn off the switch to "Keep Warm" mode for about 10-15mins, then turn on the switch to "Cook" mode again. This way, I find that my brown rice turns out softer and fluffier than if I leave it on "Cook" mode continuously.

Annelise,
I agree with Van - you can sell your cakes liao!

Hi ladies,
So what have you all been cooking and baking ? This yr's CNY a bit sian, only 2 days of hols!

Hey soph, you feeling any contractions yet ? All prepared ? It's very exciting, rem to ask your hub to get ready your video cam.. and also to cut the cord if the gynea allows.. My hb managed to cut for didi but not for the 2 bigger ones.. He said the cord felt like rubber hose..

Hey van, how's Ber doing ? Mine still blur blur .. enjoying singing the national anthem and the sch song..

Hey anne, wah.. your Hercules cake is very interesting .. yah.. your drawing is very good !

Hey Kris, your bbsitter uses the shower head on your gal ? How was her response ? I would like to try that on didi..I ve been wanting to bring didi for a swim, but scared he's not ready.. he's already 5 months

Sophie,
dropping by to congratulate u in advance!!! have a good & hopefully can arrange to be ROMANTIC meal tonight... sleep early and wake up late tomorrow... tis ur last chance!!! hehehehe...
kao_sticktongue.gif

take care and come back to share some photos of ur princess once you are okay!

Hi everyone,
Thanks for the well-wishes, even though you girls are so busy with work and kids
happy.gif

I'll definitely take all your advice and post up some pics once I am OK!

You girls be good and eat my fill of CNY goodies for me! But careful of heatiness
happy.gif

Choc,
I got no contractions leh. Gynae says I am not supposed to go into contractions for breech position, in case the baby's legs get pushed out or the cord prolapse. Sounds scary!
MAH don't allow videocam leh, so I'm gonna get hubby to secretly film with the camera, that is, if he don't faint first
wink.gif

Yep, also must remember to tell gynae about cord-cutting
happy.gif

Hi everyone

Just spent the afternoon making some tarts before going into full scale production this weekend! My idea to use the HK cookie stamp didn't turn out well - b4 baking okay - after baking all cracked cos' I was too greedy and wanted to make the pastry as thin as possible! Will post the pics later - using my fil's laptop now - lazy to connect the card reader.

Hi Sophie, good luck for your big day tomorrow! It's so wonderful that you're going to see and hold your little princess after 9 months of pg - the feeling of euphoria is indescribable! Looking forward to seeing your pics!

Hi choc, no lah my drawing is not good - the image was traced
happy.gif
Yah, 2 days CNY not enough to cover all the relatives' places!

Hi lyn, is your bb taking semi-solids now? Just to share, I found the Pigeon baby food maker very useful, it's got a grater, a sieve, feeding bowl, spoon etc which can be put in the steam steriliser to sterilise. I bought it from Taka at the Pigeon section.

Hi Van, thanks for posting the info on the books - I can't read Chinese very well so I don't really know which titles to buy - what do you reccommend?

RE: THERMAL POT COOKBOOK ORDER

Reply from online book store:

<font color="ff0000">Thanks for your enquiry.
The books are in stock to be ordered.

Air mail fee is 60% of the total book price. Then, plus HK$13 for registered mail for each order.

You may try to place order in our website. It will show the postage before you input the credit card to pay.</font>

Annelise,
There are 4 titles;
1) Desserts & Congee (Which you already have?)
2) Stewed Delicacies
3) Tasty Soups
4) Pudding and Snacks

So depend on which one you like/need,I am getting the "stewed delicacies" and "Pudding and snacks"...

Nancy,
It is direct shipping to one address. It's stated that normal air mail order takes 10-14 days. Courier service also available but much more expensive.

Here's the estimated cost:
685272.jpg

I've done dummy order from the website to check the cost:
685273.gif

685274.gif

Hi Van, thanks for co-ordinating the purchase of the books - I'd like to get a copy of "Stewed Delicacies" PM me on the details for payment, ya? Your spreadsheet is very professionally done
kao_wink.gif

Hi

Here's my sharing of Kai's cookies for Valentine's day for his teachers, classmates and friends. We will wrap them up for each teacher, classmate and friend.

Kai mixing the dough
685622.jpg

Kai rolling out the dough
685623.jpg

Kai cutting the dough with cookie cutter
685624.jpg

Kai's cookies before baking
685625.jpg

Kai's cookies in the oven
685626.jpg

Kai's cookies on the cooling rack
685627.jpg

Kai's cookies are ready
685628.jpg

Have some more interesting dishes that I will share next time when I pop by. Sending Kai to preschool now.

Hi

Here's my sharing of Kai's cookies for Valentine's day for his teachers, classmates and friends. We will wrap them up for each teacher, classmate and friend.

Kai mixing the dough
685645.jpg

Kai rolling out the dough
685646.jpg

Kai cutting the dough with cookie cutter
685647.jpg

Kai's cookies before baking
685648.jpg

Kai's cookies in the oven
685649.jpg

Kai's cookies on the cooling rack
685650.jpg

Kai's cookies are ready
685651.jpg

Will be baking some goodies for CNY too. My mum is sending me the home-made pineapple tarts, loveletters. Miss the CNY goodies from home, here's the goodies are so different.

So sorry for double posting.

Annelise, I love your cake and your cookies.

Van, the recipe books looks interesting.

This is what Kai has done for CNY to send to Singapore,

685746.jpg

685747.jpg

685748.jpg

685749.jpg

Some of the completed cards
685750.jpg

We include a family photos for our relatives and Kai wrote each of them.

Got to go now, having some guests tonight.

Will pop by once in a while very busy. Ladies enjoy yourselves and have a great CNY!

Hi Ambrosial, the Hello Kitty book looks very interesting - do you know if it includes English instructions as well?

Hi Priscilla, thanks for sharing your pics - Kai is really good with his hands! The cookies and cards are lovely! It's a good idea to do the mixing in the sink - I always get lots of flour on my counter-top!

Hi Joy, have you baked your tarts? Mine tasted a bit crunchy - not quite melt-in-the mouth. I think I baked them a little too long cos' my pastry was rolled out too thinly. Will try again today and let you know if adjusting the bake time makes it any better.

Okie, gotta go - have loads of housework to do, catch up with y'all later
happy.gif

Ambrosial,

Is it this one?
http://www.hkbookcity.com/showbook2.php?serial_no=32190

Should be OK to include this order, since shipping cost is based on 60% of total product cost. I will allocate the shipping cost based on book cost, which means you HK Bao Bao DIY book will be allocated higher share.

Registered Parcel Cost of HK$13 will be spread out based on No.of books.

Think this should be quite fair way of allocatin?

I've never organised any BP in this forum before, hope everything is smooth...
686035.gif

Choc,
Missed out your earlier post.

Hey, my dd also same...enjoy singing National Anthem and School Song very much. Everyday buzzzzing .....until at some point we have to ask her to stop.

Now is Chicken Pox season, many of her classmates and her cousin have chicken pox.Did you bring you dds for jab? Ber had the jab in 2005,so I don't have to worry about her catching the chicken pox.

Annelise,

Your order is noted. Will inform you payment details once the order is closed.

Prisc,
The cookies are cute and look yummy! Kai did a very good job!

Did you manage to get the Thomas Tank cookie cutter in the end?

Annelise,Ambrosial,

Sorry,used the wrong exchange rate previously. This is the revised estimated computation based on current order.

I will close the order on <font size="+1">Friday 09 Feb 07 10pm</font>.Once the order is consolidated, I'll inform you how much to transfer. When I received my credit card statment, the amount will be adjusted and refunded if necessary.

686444.gif

Ambrosial,
Let me know whether you want to order the HK DIY book.

<font size="+1">BP of Books from Hong Kong:</font>

**Amount to be transferred: To be confirmed once the order is consolidated on Friday Night 09 Feb 07. The above computation is just a rough guide only. Actual cost will depend on the quantity ordered.

** Payment by DBS/POSB bank transfer only.

**Any excess payment,if any, will be refunded when the credit card statement is received,unless you want to offset the excess payment against postage.

**Collection: Self-Collect at CCK or By Post at buyer's cost.

**Shipment takes 10-14 days as per the website.

**CLOSING DATE OF ORDER: Friday,09 FEB 07,10pm

** Order will be placed LATEST by Monday 12 Feb 07,11pm,provided all payments are received before the order time.

<font size="+2"><font color="ff0000">ORDER:</font></font>
1)Vaccum Pot-Stewed Delicacies
http://www.hkbookcity.com/showbook2.php?serial_no=38008

Van-1
Annelise-1

2) Vaccum Pot-Puddings and Snacks
http://www.hkbookcity.com/showbook2.php?serial_no=37913

Van-1

3) Vaccum Pot- Desserts & Congee
http://www.hkbookcity.com/showbook2.php?serial_no=37938

4) Vaccum Pot- Tasty Soup
http://www.hkbookcity.com/showbook2.php?serial_no=37912

Hey Soph, ALL THE BEST TO YOU !!

Hey van, my dds haven't got the immunization for chicken pox yet.. I had the jab 10 yrs ago, dunno whether expired in my body liao boh !

Hey prisc, wow.. agree with the rest, Kai did a very good job on the cookies, what a lively, creative, interesting lesson for him (thumbs up)..Looks like a live demo shown on Sesame street..And your cookie cutters are soo cute ..

Thanks for your motivation.. Must really do that with my dds one of these days.. My rolling pin is the super big one, yours look very cute ! Van posted some cookie recipe last yr, I've yet to try them out..

Hey anne, you HK is also very nice aft baking !! If my dds see them, they'll bug me to make for them! What else you making for CNY ?

Back