Cooking Tips & Recipe

Krisjoy and Sophie,

Will share pics of my completed pieces.
happy.gif

Van,

Your poor dd...what did she eat? Yup the CCK 24hr clinic is quite sucky...the clinic is really too cramp.

The machine is Janome Jem(with 10 built-in stitches), and it costs $250 at Mustafah.I'm sure it's selling much higher elsewhere.You can call promotor Nelly at 96977257 to check if there's any stock available.

Annlee,

You can dab aloe vera gel on the scabs to speed up healing and scar prevention.

Sorry but I need advice,anyone knows how to cook brown rice porridge. I find that my brown rice porridge has a 'raw'/'grassy' taste. Anyone has the same experience.
Cooked hainanese pork chop today using the Simply Her recipe. V yummy!! 1st time I cooked this and was quite happy that my hubby and FIL ate all up. Gives me the confidence to try more recipe.
Any idea how to keep stir fry veg fresh looking. Mine usually turn abit yellow after few hours.

Van and annlee,
I also bought GAIA products recently. Do u think I should use them for bb? Seems like ur kids' skin are drier after using. Shld I get other brands just in case?

Sophie,
Yes, Raffles City changed so much. Did you visit those individual food stores at the basement? There is one selling Pikers' pies...have not tried but heard that the shephard pie is good.

van, how's your dd?
oh yes, clearing up the mess and worry about your dd is real bad experience. I've experienced doing all these 4 times in one weeks and yes my son vomited 4 nights and i've to change bedding stuff 4 times, somemore is on my bed.

Your hb is leaving so will be tiring for you, must be strong ok and rest well.

sophie, carrefour selling croc meat... ok thanks, will go check it out. I saw rabbit meat at cold storage or carrefour before, can't remember.

Any idea how to make croc meat soup?

sophie, forgotten to let you know that i've tried your vietnamese eggplant, is very good, very appetitising, good good!!

amelia, yes i've ordered california baby aloe vera gel. I heard is very good for healing and good for eczema, van will let you know how good it is.

krisjoy, GAIA can be use for bb. Why not you try it out and see is it dry after use. I'm trying california bb products soon..... now they're out of stock. Will let you know once i try out ok.

cupcake, my stir fry veggie turn out ok after 2 hrs. Or maybe is the veggie that you use.

annlee,
Thanks for your concern.That night she actually also vomitted on my bed,very siong, the mattress protector is so big,harder to wash and dry.

She still vomit out some water,after taking her medicine last night, complained about her stomach ache.I distracted her by printing out some crafts for her to ,she didn't even ask for milk before going to bed. But this morning she did drink her Pediasure.

Now don't know whether to bring her to see another doctor or not.
500736.gif

eh...I have not tried California Baby products. But I have tried other brand's Aloe Vera Gel on my dd to soothe her ezcema,just feel cooling...doesn't do anything to moisturize it.

krisjoy,
my dd has eczema, so what doesn't work for her might still be good for others.Since you have already bought GAIA, just try it out first. Your gynae or the hospital might give you some sample size baby products before or just after your birth, you can also try these out on your baby before deciding which one to stick to.

van, if your dd has not been better after having the medi for few times or 1-2 days, better see doc again.
Talking about seeing doc, my 2 sons has been sick for 2 months and my this month chinese doc total bill is $400+ exluding the previous western doc that don't work for them, very siong man but luckily the chinese doc medi works for them. Everytime after paying the medical bill I will look at them and ask, can don't fall sick or not, please!!!

hi! please advise on brown rice porridge coz i'm v keen to cook that for my dd...
btw i've been using gaia since i bought them at the motherhood exhibition. it's helped my dd's skin improve coz previously it's very dry due to eczema. i've shown the brand to my PD and he also says its good as gaia contains absolutely none of any known drying agents or skin irritants in its ingredients. probably you should not switch brands intermittent times, causing negative counteractions.

annlee,
Listened to your advice...just make appointment to see doctor later.Somehow, I just cannot trust those 24hr Clinic's relief doctors completely,after 2 incidents of wrong diagnosis.

wah, $400 a month medical bill is a lot leh..Luckily my hb's company paid for our family medical fee, if not we always let her see 2 doctors within a few days also very siong,but Chinese Doctor's fees cannot claim reimbursement, tough for me when I need to go for acupuncture.

annelise,
Wah... Gowns at $39 very good buy... Metro is having sales?
haha... I hate ironing :p especially pants...
My MIL bought aloe vera, but I dunno how to eat that... good idea to blend in fruits...
happy.gif
maybe i will try later...
My hubby also believes in attachment parenting. I will let my hubby carry my boy on Sat and Sun. And let him bath bb on Sat and Sun too for bonding
happy.gif
I think baby really cries for some needs. For my son, once his needs satisfied, he will sleep on his own on the bed already
happy.gif
That's what I noticed lately...

littlecat,
hmm... your easy recipe sounds very easy to fuss free
happy.gif
I shall try it today.. How much soya sauce to add in? Need to cover the chicken with the soya sauce? I will replace the chicken with pork...
happy.gif

annlee, sophie,
I also dunno how to cook nor eat the aloe vera... kekeke.. a bit mountain tortoise... :p My MIL bought them and left them in my fridge. I drank those in the fruit juice bought off the shelf. But the raw ones taste bitter... very different taste... Very wasteful to throw away...

sophie,
I got lost at the basement of Raffles City last week when I was there... lol...

Van,
Thanks for sharing... so babies should not take "ren sheng"...
hmm... My cousin does take bird nest regularly and she has very bad asthma... Her asthma attacks seems to lessen... Yesterday when I called her, she was buying bird nests... buying 1kg! Gosh.. I never heard of people buy so much one... lol...

annlee,
You ds has eczema ah? nowadays, many kids have eczema... Do you or your husband has eczema?

Van,
Better stop milk leh... cos it will make diarrhoea or vomiting worse...
Do you or your hubby has eczema when u are preggie?

cupcake,
For brown rice porridge, can add some red dates and wolfberries. Sometimes I also add sweet potato or potato.

wah.. van you are very resourceful... thumbs up...
happy.gif

Ok, i gotta go...

hi ladies...
am back to work today, very busy again.. but no choice, got "new" projects on hand... boss on my back... cos his boss on his back... *haiz*...

Van,
just my 2cents worth hor.. this CNY i kena very severe food poisoning from my reunion dinner.. until hubby had to carry me to see doctor.
the most effective "method" was to get an injection.. maybe can ask ur doctor later if ur dd can take it or not...
then food wise, only take plain porridge (i got sick of it, and added "Bovril" to the porridge after awhile. no other ingredients tho.). n take plain toasted bread. i know food sucks, but it helped in preventing more vomitting...

catch up e rest later...
kao_smile.gif

hi lyn,
my tummy been protruding out since my 3rd or 4th mth liaoz.. i'm 31weeks now.. tummy already measuring 42"..!!! hehehe.. can definitely see lah, but i guess sometimes e bosses just "pretend" not to see lor..
i havent got e recipe for stew potato from my mum yet, but will do so as soon as i see her..
kao_smile.gif

sophie,
very difficult to buy maternity clothes to last u thru' out unless u talking abt dresses.. or unless u dont put on too much weight. n personally, i don't like to wear maternity jeans, as i'm already feeling super hot now that i'm preggers.. don't feel like wearing jeans at all. nowadays only skirts n capris n dresses for me..

littlecat,
thanks for e brown rice "recipe".. n thanks for e concern...
actually my male boss is okay.. its the ones "higher" than him tat keep pressuring.. so he got no choice but to ask me to do...
wah... u also no need to sleep one ar.. wake up at 4am to prepare e porridge??!?!?!?

abt croc meat soup:
i used to take this when i was very young as i'm constantly sick (coughing) from toddler to primary school.. i only remember am constantly see doctor n taking all types of cough syrup..
until mum started making croc meat soup for me.. to "bu qi" i think.. n "run" the lungs..
i dont have e recipe tho, but buy from those chinese medicine halls they will "teach" u how to prepare it...
kao_smile.gif

Hi mummies,

I need some advise for you or simply answer should I change or not regarding about my maid. I know this is a cooking thread but please help as I'm very confused of my decision.

My maid has been working for me for more than 6 mths. I let her do all the things freely in the house cos I'm quite a easy person and don't want to tell or scold for small little things. At first I thought she can be trusted so I let her do the housework etc... in her owe way.

Recently my hb went to HK and ask me to take note on her what she has been doing on the house and he thinks my maid has not been doing well.

I noticed that she getting lazy, found out What she has done for the day, mopping the floor, cleaning table, alternate day doing laundry cooking bb food and prepare food for dinner. That's it. My hse is very small and she mop and prepare my bb food and take shower all for 3 hrs in morning. Don't you think is very slow?
When my son taking a nap she'll prepare cutting veggi or meat for the night and that's it. I ask her did she clean window, my bedroom etc.. she's say sometimes maybe 1 months once or more.
Told her many times my son bedsheet must wash every week as he got skin prob which she knows and she didn't even wash after a month. Worst for my bedding, my comforter did not wash for more than 6 mths.
Her attitude is quite bad but i don't mind cos i tot is her way of talking. But im wrong, sometimes i will scold my son eg: I say no, don't do that, and my maid will follow and shout at him saying the same line until I told her she cannot talk to my son like what i did cos im the mother and told her to be polite to my son but till now still very rude.
I'm always been very polite to her, will use words like can you, please or thanks to her to let her know that must be polite too to my kids but she never do that.
I had enough of her cos she has been doing the wrong things like cooking my son food wrongly, forget this and that and never want to listen to me. So i told her nicely taht she cannot always like that and must improve and do it correctly as i don't want to repeat and she also don't like to listen, so i say what you expect me to do if you continuely don't listen and i employed you to help me not making more problem or trouble, i don't wanna do that but if continue like that i got to send her off, she replied, im ready to go, no problem if you wanna change, i will not tell you i don't want to go!! I'm so shocked! She at least say she will improve but not that.
Another thing is that when im having meal, she'll put my son on the bumber and make lotsa sound and will cry and shout not to give me a piece of mind to eat, when she having meal, she'll give my son to me so no one will disturb her!!
Got once I went to fetch my son and takes about 15 mins. When back home, my son's head swollen with little bleed. She says she left my son outside the toliet and she went to pee. I told her she should put my son on the bumpber and she say he'll will cry. I says you go toliet for 1-2 mins and let him cry is better than he injure himself. She knows is so serious and told her never do it again and she repeat same thing and ignore my son.
Everytime I correct her when she's wrong and she will pull long face, no apologise before and also repeat again and again.

She also read magazine in my room when making my bb sleep and also reading newspaper on my bed(which i don't allow my hb do it) and of course sitting on my bed, all without asking my permission.

At first she bath for 30 mins and in the night 1 hrs+. She say washing her clothes for the day. That long? She uses 2 types of cleanser i bought for her, one is my protex and soap, she say the soap is for her face but i feel bad so give her a facial cleanser which she finish less than 1 month. As for the body soap and gel i ask her why uses 2 types and she says she prefer to use it alternate days as everyday use the same one is not nice....OMG!! Better than me.

I allowed her to call home on the first month in my house using my handphone for every month and paid for the stamp. I don't mind paying just to hope that she'll appreciate and do a good job.

Reason for still considering is that she has been here for quite sometimes and I feel bad if she's jobless, quite poor thing and will consider transfer maid, might difficult to get employer. She's expenxive too.... her salary is $360

Sorry that the story is so long..... really need your advice!

lyn, yes.... my ds has eczema since 2 yrs old. Now is getting better, maybe he's older and immune system is stronger. My skin is a little sensitive, is from me not my hb.
Also that he has mild asthma, doc says if got eczema, chances of getting asthma will be pretty high. So now wanted to try croc meat soup for him.

krisjoy. don't think is from the diet from getting eczema. If you're worry, try not to take bird nest during preggie cos some advise from people and chinese doc, van also mentioned, that bird nest causes asthma and willmake it worst if having asthma.

van, agreed with the rest, better change a doctor to seek 2nd opinion.
did she vomit like half way while she sleep? can prepare something like old towel or pail next to the bed, just incase? so it won't dirty the bed.
My son vomit due to phlegm, so when i hear him coughing and about to vomit i either use the old towel or even the cloth just to hold it, at least u dun need to clear the entired bedsheet etc...
I know how it feel, u take care too.. it is very stress!

I dun trust thoes 24hours one also... i remember my hb got fever during CNY, the only clinic open at bukit batok, also 24 hours type want to charge like $70 just for the registration and becos all the rest of clinic closed ! xiao, my hb tahan till the next day then see doc.

Starz, i wake up like 3 to 4x at nite.. so 4am is nothing lah.. but i did it quite fast (cos already prepare b4 hand) after it boil i put it in the pot and go back to sleep.

annlee, read your story, aiyoh so headache on maid issue...
but if her heart is not there, dun keep her. she will create more mess for u!
My previous maid also, start to mess things up when she dun want to work, so i very KS, i took leave the last few days make sure only me watching my son, she do the rest.
scare she will do something funny... sorry not to scare u, just incase lah...

annlee,

I dunno if 3 hours for mopping floor, preparing baby's food, and shower is slow... I think it's reasonable. Does it take a lot of work to prepare baby's food? And does she need to soothe your baby in the morning before shower or while doing housework? Sometimes, I find myself just making fruit juice, preparing lunch, washing and cleaning the kitchen took me half a day already.

oops... hmm... I think you and your maid are not really in good terms. Better becareful that she take it out on your son when you both are not around, especially when she's still preparing food for your baby. I think it's better to change your maid fast. Dun let her know when you are going to send her off. On the day itself, just ask her pack for 5 minutes and send her off immediately. Sorry, I may sound like a "bad" employer of maid... But after many years of maids with my parents, I started to believe that they gotta be treated just like maids... Of course, not ill-treat them that kind, but more of giving orders.

Last time my cousin's maid ill-treat her second son. Now she sees the "effects" of that in her son at age 8 now... Her son was looked after by the maid for 2 years since birth. Can you imagine her son fell from the table to the floor? And she fed her son with overnite food, raw meat and ate the fresh food. And sometimes use her toes let her son suckle. My dad saw the ill-treatment when my cousin put her maid and her son at my house... And the maid keep pinching and beating the elder boy for telling his mum... Now regret also no use already...

lyn, about the dark soya sauce, about 1-2 table spoon full, I just want the chicken to have some colour. i didn't put oyster sauce and others, somehow my taste bud change can't take those leh..
But with the onion,carrot &potato plus chicken it taste good already...

Just back from seeing doctor. The doctor said my dd's having stomach/gastric flu.He said it's okay to take Pediasure,even if there is vomitting or diarrhaoe, as Pediasure is soya based.I did notice from the tin that Pediasure is gluten and lactose free.

Somehow,I just trusted this doctor at Bt Gombak more...

krisjoy,
there are many reasons for having eczema.My dd has seen many doctors, GP,PD,dermatologist, all give the same reason for her condition...probably heridtary, cos my hb also has sensitive skin and very mild asthma.So far have not heard or read that it's from diet during pregnancy.

Some children are allergic to certain food and will trigger the eczema attack.For serious case,dermatalogist will do patch test on the children's back to determine what causes the allergy.

But generally, doctors all advised the same thing; keep their skin moisturised, avoid using soap which has irritants like alcohol,perfume etc, bubble bath is also a no-no.

annlee,
I can stand maids not able to do things properly, or do slowly,but I cannot tolerate maids with bad attitude,and don't show respect.

It's not that hard for her to find new employer if you decide to "return"her to the agent...agent will usually make up stories to make sure they can transfer out the maid

For my previous maid, I have a Time Table for her,so she knows what to do, what to clean everyday,so this is not much of a problem.

If you decided to change her,better don't let her know in advance,heard too many horrible stories.

eh...1 mth then wash your ds's bedsheet is quite bad leh!

Generally, I find that maids will show their true colors after 6mths, when they pay off their agent's loan.

sophie,
usually maternity dresses should be able to last you through the pregnancy.For tops,it depends on how much weight you have put on. Pants not so bad, since they usually have adjustable waist band.

LittleCat,
Is your hb back from US already?

lyn
eeeee....that's a horrible maid "story", suck her toes?! I thought my maid using my steak knife to scrap her hard skin on feet was gross enough!

hey littlecat...
kekeke... I just try something, still cooking...
happy.gif
modify from your recipe...
I stir fry crushed garlic and onion in olive oil, add pork, potato, carrots, lots of soya sauce, some water, dark soya sauce, salt and sugar... I also added some wolfberries, 3 slices of shou wu... kekeke.. dunno how it will turn out... It does smells good at the moment...
happy.gif

Oh Van,
Pediasure is soy based ah... I will be feeding my boy soy based formula next time when I stop breastfeeding... Ok, I will check it out next time...

Krisjoy, Van,
I am coming from the point of view in alternative health. You can disagree with me hor...
If either one of the parents has eczema or skin problems during pregnancy or before pregnancy, the baby will very likely to have eczema too. Eczema is a form of detoxification through the skin from our body. If we know the "toxic" that our body is trying to remove, we stop adding that type of "toxic", eczema condition will get better or even go away over time. The western doc will say it's "allergy". You can read about this from Dr. Bernard Jensen books. He's the father of holistic health from America
happy.gif

Van,
Yes... the maid sit on the sofa, watch the TV, and put baby on the floor. When he cried, let him suck her toes... You never know what maids can do to your kids, especially those that cannot talk yet...

lyn, your cousin maid is bad. Did they make any compain/ That's bad with all the pinching and beating.

About my my maid mopping the floor, i specially let her use to lazy way using the mop that i buy to mop/sweet at the same time to reduce the time of doing double job and my house is small. Think about 20mins or less should be done. My baby porriage is very easy, add carrot, pumpkin, veg, sometimes meat to boil. She does not need to soothe my bb cos im around to do it.

And also she like to waste food which i always remind her not to waste food. She cut an apple for my son and when my son only take 2-3 pieces, she'll throw away without asking me and at least i can eat rite. She cooked my son porriage and likes to cook too much and throw away. I told her many times to reduce the amount but don't work for her. Told her don't cook too much of our rice and porriage and i caught her giving my son left over same day porriage for 2 days already , he's having chicken pox at that time, very angry and she eat the fresh one.
She just throw away the fishes i bought for my son when he refused to eat(he eat by himself) and i always told her don't throw away the food i will feed him if refuse to eat but she throw away. Actually she waste alot of my money and throw away lotsa food, told her bad karma if waste food, she understand and still cannot stop her from wasting ,im really heartpain

Van,
Oh no, hope your dd has speedy recovery.

annlee,
Your maid is really hopeless! She's a Phillipino izzit? Sounds like my ex-maid but yours is worst. Ya, agree with the rest not to let her know that u r sending her away. On the actual day, order her to pack bag & stand at the door to wait for the agent to come.

lyn,
I am freak out by yor cousin's maid!! I put my baby alone wit the maid but I have teh cameras around the house.

van, thanks for your adviced! I read another thread about your maid and you throw the knife away. I'll throw it too, so disgusting.
You're right, she show her new color now and she just got her first salary and no more loan.

lyn, baby can consume pediasure after 1 yr old.

Another time that maids will show bad attitude is when their contract is expiring soon, and they have no intention to renew their contract.

My neighbour's maid just went back to Philipines,promose will come back after 1 week, but didn't,now my neighbour has problem, got to find a new maid urgently as she has three kids.

That's another common problem for maids going back for "holiday"after their 2 yr term.

cat_tail,
I aslo installed cameras in my house, but my 1st maid was very smart, she knew about it, and will not do things that we are not supposed to know in front of the camera.

van, tell your dd nust be a good girl, swallow the medi, don't vomit out the medi and will recover very fast. That's way i told my son when he vomit out the medi.

cat_tail, my maid is filipino. My hb says she's hopeless and useless too.

OK thanks all...... I decided to change.

Oh dear, so many scary stories about maids!

annlee,
If your maid is so terrible and giving you so much frustration, might as well just change one. I think the not changing bedsheets according to your instructions is terrible leh... kids naturally perspire more, and plus your ds got sensitive skin, to change the sheets once a month is not very hygienic! The wasting food part is also bad... waste of money and bad karma... imagine all the kids in 3rd world countries with nothing to eat!

Van,
Glad you brought your dd to see another doc - and this doc quite well-informed, can tell that Pediasure is soy-based that's why can still take during stomach upsets. Hope your dd gets better soon!

Thanks gals, for all the advice on maternity wear. I guess for practicality sake, I will forgo the jeans. Went out to nearby Junction 8 to buy some stuff today, and was wearing my maternity pants with adjustable elastic band. Was walking and starting wondering why my pants dropping down until there is a lot of excess cloth on my bum - kept pulling and tugging up my pants as I walk, very uncool!
blush.gif
Then managed to get to a HDB void deck to check my pants then realised the adjustable band button came undone. Think I must have gone to the toilet and the button got unhooked from the elastic band! Luckily pants never totally drop down... so embarrassing!

Van_G,
Hmm.. at least my this maid seems honest to me, but who knows will she change after she gets her pay.
Btw, your neighbour got hold on the maid's say like 2 mths salary?

annlee,
Ya, pls kick her a** out & try not to get a Fillipino again. I have bad experience with them.

Lyn,
Here's a recipe for the aloe vera soup from a cookbook - Body and Beauty Soups:

Refreshing Aloe Vera Soup
This soup expels "internal" heat, removes excess oil in the body and regulates the gastrointestinal system. It also enhances the complexion and removes accumulated melanin in the skin, giving you a smooth and fair complexion. For best results, do not cook aloe vera for too long. This soup is efficacious in preventing and alleviating discomfort in the body and skin caused by "internal" heat and hot weather.

Ingredients
3 blades aloe vera
1/2 rutabaga (da tou cai)
1/2 green bamboo shoot
1/2 red capsicum
1/2 small cucumber
3 baby corn
1 fresh Chinese mushroom

1. Rinse aloe vera blades, remove thorns on the sides and discard skin on the bulging side. Cut aloe vera pulp into sections. Rinse rutabaga and green bamboo shoot, then peel and cut into pieces.

2. Remove seeds from capsicum and rinse together with small cucumber and baby corn. Cut into pieces. Rinse and slice mushroom.

3. Put rutabaga, green bamboo shoot, baby corn and mushroom into pot, add 5 cups of water and bring to boil. Lower heat and boil over low heat till cooked, then add capsicum to cook briefly. Lastly add small cucumber, aloe vera and salt to season, then bring to boil. Serve.

cat_tail,
The neighbour's with Philipino maid who went back for 1 week but didn't come back might not have hold back her salary.

But another neighbour with Indonesian maid, who goes back for 1 month after 2 yr contract,did hold back some of her maid's money, as advised by her agent.

Sophie,
....that sounds very pai seh ....
501015.gif

Yeah lor, Van, super paiseh! Now got a bit of phobia with maternity pants liao! Maybe skirts and dresses safer for me
wink.gif

annlee,
I'll ask my mum if she remembers how she made the croc soup, and what it was for. Cos she made it when we were young (more than 15 years ago), then after we found out it was croc meat, all refused to eat it anymore
happy.gif

sophie,
skirts also have elastic waist band...then can last for more months.

annlee,
should be easy to find recipe of croc meat soup from Hong Kong's websites,since it's very common for Hong Kongers to boil croc meat soup.

Realised that we really have lots of secret readers of this thread,have been receiving private msgs from other members about things that I talked about in this thread...

ha ha.... sophie, not only you, let me accompany you, when preggie, my pants adjustable buttom came undone too, the pants got loosen and i was holding my pants and cover my hand with my bag.I was at shopping mall going back so faster took a cab and adjust inside the there. Very paisay..... and seriously the pant will drop

van, you're singapore cooking tips/recipe idol now. So now must be careful on what we say hor, read somewhere that in US someone reading the chat and ask qn to check where they stay and follow them, hee..... don't think will happen here lah....

sophie, have you watch this show from US called '24'? This show have won many awards, read from today strait time, life section.
I've watch most of their series and left the last series that didn't watch. Very nice show.

Haha, annlee, I'm glad I wasn't the only one with pants dropping down!
happy.gif

And to think yesterday I went to buy lavera lipstick and loose powder, thinking I should put on abit of makeup to make myself feel good while expanding, then today put on until so nice also no use, tugging my pants away... very unglam!
wink.gif

24? Never heard of it, but I just checked it up on imdb.com, and it looks very good! When in US, I was crazy over this show "6 Feet Under", but now hubby don't allow me to watch, cos it's a bit morbid, about a family who owns a funeral parlour in LA, so got snipshots of how pple die, and the embalming etc. 24 showing in SG which channel?

sophie, I think they're showing on channel 5 on saturday but not starting from the first series. Better to watch from the beginning. Is about FBI hunting terrorist in 24 hrs time, very exciting. If you're worry watching now is not good for bb then watch during confinement lor.

About '6 feet under' let me check it out with my brother whether he got lobang for the show or not.

Van,
Really, all your "local delights" + hazelnuts cookies look very yummy... I'm so tempted to cook them, but now cannot take spicy stuff, then scared eat noodles get horrid bloated feeling, so have put on hold my attempts at cooking these local foods.

Also a bit stressed when I peep into the MTB threads, cos some MTBs say they have not put on any weight, so I am afraid of eating too much carbo then become fat mamma! So now only eating the usual rice, meat and veges.

Krisjoy,
Don't be shy - share your embarrassing moments here so we can de-stress and have a laugh!

annlee,
Yeah, think I will watch during confinement. Will check with my bro if he knows where to get 24 then. Cos hubby already banned me from watching CSI, so don't think he'll want my heart thumping away with an exciting terrorist show!
happy.gif

Eh, you sure you wanna watch 6 Feet Under? Very morbid leh... heh, even Van agrees. Better not watch in front of the kids!

Sophie,
I guess beehoon, kway teow(a bit oily though) shouldn't be too bad, but avoid yellow noodles...and take small frequent meals,or snacks in between meals should help.

Don't worry about weight issues and don't compare yourself with others, every MTB is different. With your healthy diet, I don't think you will have much problem.I have friends who look the same throughout their pregnancy, all the weight gain goes to baby...how nice!

sophie, van is right. Don't compare yourself with others. All you need is to eat the healthy food and you did it. I put on lotsa weight during preggie, ard 22kg and now back to normal. Don't stress on all these things.

van, I have bought woh hup XO sauce, expensive at $9 on a small bottle, because is XO rite?? Will try out on veg. Is it nice marinate on meat? Also keen on trying on the carrot cake you mentioned.

Hi Amelia, I used to love sewing too! Now I have no time
sad.gif
The last time when Spotlight had a 20% storewide sale I was quite tempted to buy the Brother sewing machine but I'm worried it'll become a white elephant! I'm a big fan of aloe vera gel too - use it for mosquito bites, minor burns, cuts, scrapes, the occassional pimple and even nappy rash!

Hi cupcake, I don't know about cooking brown rice - but for cooking vege, I've learnt not to overcook them and to use high heat when stir-frying to retain the crispness and the colour of the vege. Then again, I always cook my vege at the last minute and have not let it stand for more than 1 hour, so I'm not sure if my method will work.

Hi Krisjoy, I use Mustela products (shampoo, body wash, sunblock, moisturizer) on my girls - I find that it's quite nice and mild. They can be found at Robinsons Baby Dept.

Hi Van, I guess you'll need to go easy on her diet for the rest of this week. Stomach flu takes about 3 to 5 days to resolve completely. Does she like drinking glucose water? Perhaps you can let her drink small sips of it throughout the day to give her some energy and keep her hydrated. Oooh, your previous maid is so gross, scraping her feet with your steak knife!

Hi annlee, sorry to hear about your maid troubles. It's really difficult finding good help these days. My dds also threw up on my bed a few times. Already threw away my mattress when we shifted house cos' of all the horrible stains!

Hi lyn, yeah Metro is having sale - I'm planning to go back there again tomorrow with my mum, but we only have an hour to shop cos' it opens at 10am and I gotta pick my dd1 at 11! Ironing is my pet peeve! Ironing was my "duty" when I was a kid - when my dd1 is older, I plan to outsource that task to her, haha! I still haven't finished ironing - my mum will be here tomorrow, so I'm going to leave the rest to her! Oh dear, your cousin's kid is so pitiful...did she report the maid to the police for child abuse?

Hi starz, wah your hb sounds really heroic, carrying you to the dr! The most heroic thing my hb has done for me is to rescue me with a tin of petrol when my car ran out of fuel in the middle of the expressway! I was seriously in distress - so imagine the relief flooding over me when I saw him!

Hi LittleCat, the doctors at the 24-hour clinic at Mt Alvernia are good and the charges are very reasonable - I think consultation is $25 for after-office hours. It's because it's a non-profit organisation, so the charges are not exorbitant. Btw, when you cook your stew, do you deep fry the potatoes first? It's a bit troublesome but I find that it prevents the potatoes from "melting" into the sauce and my kids prefer eating it this way cos' they taste like french fries!

Hi Sophie, the last time when I was preggie, I dare not use make-up at all - I should have thought of using organic ones like you! Don't worry about putting on too much weight - just eat in moderation. Some people believe that when pg women have cravings for certain food, it may mean that they need a particular nutrient present in the food.

Oops, can hear dd2 stirring from her nap - gotta go
happy.gif

Van, annlee, Annelise,
Thanks for the reassurance. I guess it's just insecurity on my end. Heh, tell you guys a crazy thing I did - I went to weigh how heavy 500ml of water is (answer is about 500gm), just to find out if it's cos of the excess water that's why I gained 2kg in one week! Think I should stop all these crazy things else get stressed unnecessarily
happy.gif

annlee,
I also went to J8 NTUC to check out the Woh Hup XO sauce today, but they are out of stock. Saw a vegetarian version though, at around $4, but I didn't buy it. Let me know after you've tried it too!

annlee,
Must try dish with XO sauce:

1) stir fry baby kailan/snow peas/honey peas/Si4 Ji4 Dou4(suddenly can't remember the name of this) with chopped garlic.

Saute chopped garlic and XO sauce till fry fragrant then add in Baby Kailan and stiry fry quickly.

-For snow peas/honey peas-it's best to quick fry it in oil first before stir frying with XO sauce,
-For Si Ji Dou,best to blanch in boiling water(with a bit of salt and oil added),drain, before stir frying.

2) XO sauce Fried Rice-it's yummy!

3) XO Sauce Carrot Cake.Pan fried Carrot Cake (best using those with Lup Cheong & hay bee,Hong Kong style)till crispy
Sauted XO sauce till fragrant and crispy, spread on carrot cake before serving. OR you could stiry fry carrot cake with XO sauce.

4) XO Sauce Chicken wings-My friend has cooked this dish before, but I didn't try out.Like Soya sauce chicken wings, but with XO sauce added.

It's always good to saute the XO sauce separately before mixing with other ingredients,more fragrant.Can be done in the same wok/pan, just push to the other end of the wok/pan.

Use a fork to scoop the XO sauce from the bottle,drain off excess oil, if you don't want your "output" to be too oily.

Back