Cooking Tips & Recipe

Van (nice_to_shop),
i would like 2 thank u 4 d egg tart recipe.. i will definitely find the tym 2 make it.. i found d tried n tested recipe more easier 2 follow den d 2nd one.. aniway thnx alot.. i do appreciate it alot..

Priscilla Neo (prisneo),
i found d recipe 4 chicken pie very tempting n easy.. hehe.. maybe i will try it..

all u mummies take care ya..

Hi baking and cooking kakis
Have been busy, only have time to read through the posts today.

Choc
I got the knife set from Taka's Thermal Pot promotions,but not sure if they sell the same set in their knives section.Tangs is very well-stocked of household equipment/utensils, so I thought it may be sold there.

LittleCat,
Have you been to Cash Converter at Jurong East? They take in second hand items. Alternatively, put them up for auctions in Yahoo or ebay?

How's you movies with ds? Did he ask you to "off the TV"again? The 1st time my girl went for movies at 3yrs+, we went with cousin,nephews and nieces,, so it's enjoyable experience for her.

Lyn,
Looking forward to seeing your baby's photo, and share with us your birth experience when you have enough rest.

Cloverlee,
If I were you, I would question the childcare for not following the menus put up most of the time.After all, you fees included the meals.

BTW, it's MCYS rule that CC must provide fruits for the children.MCYS also give a copy of "Guide to Healthy Meals in Child Care Centre" to help the CC to plan nutritionally balanced meals.May be you could ask to see the guide and question them about this.

Watie,
No problem. After you have tried, it will be good if you could share with us the result?

Giggler,
How's your cooking for your gal?

Annelise,
I promise my girl to bake some hazelnut cookies and choc chip almond cookies with her.Will have to do all these before trying out the cakes. Need to go Giant or Phoon Huat next week to stock up the ingredients.

Van,
I don't think is good to make an issue there while I am going to leave my son there. They have been operating for so long I am sure they know what they are doing and I believe other parents saw that also. They won't change it because I said so, it is a matter of we take it or leave it.
Do you know anything about the walnut soup, peanut plants? I plan to make some soup for my son for dinner everyday. Hope to cook something good for him for remedy .. hee hee..

clover
I do occassionally feed back to my dd's school about certain issues that I am very concerned.I have noticed that they are quite open about it as long as we communicate with them nicely,objectively.

In fact they even invited me to join their parents' committe but I have turned down their invitation. I don't mind to help out on ad-hoc basis, when they require help,such as during festive seasons or outings,but don't want to commit to a regular schedule since my girl is already K2 now.

It's up to you.Just feel that it may not be a long term solution for you to prepare lunch box for him every day. Sometimes, kids do enjoy eating the same food with their friends.

Read about walnut soup for nourishing and improving kidney,bladder functions for kids.It's also used to treat child with bedwetting problem,but it can be quite heaty if consume too frequently.Not suitable for kids who are prone to nose bleeding.Walnut boiled with water,consumed as walnut drink also helps to relive nausea for preg women.

Don't know anything about the peanut plants.Sometimes you can ask the vege stall holder how to cook certain new vege that you have never seen. The stall holders always volunteer such info to me,when they try to sell a new "product".Pick a time when it's not so crowded to ask them.

Thanks Van,
Probably you can share with me what food you saw they provide in your dd's school and other centers/school if you happen to know.

Choc,

I have the complete anodised cookware set(brand is Calphalon) with the non-stick spray coating..i had very good lobang while overseas so i got them and brought back.Anodised cookware is definitely better than normal non-stick, stainless steel, glass etc(yes i tried all of them) in the sense you use very little oil, doesn't stick and doesn't scratch...foods cooked in them have a nice smokey flavour.

Clover Lee,

I didn't know that CCs are so stingy and bochap about the nutrition of their kids..it's so sad
sad.gif

Annelise/Van, the show is good!
yeah i didn't know till i saw the poster put 'officially open on 8 June'.
We saw the Media Corp artist "Chew chor-meng" and family too, 2 girls.
This time he didn't ask us to 'off' it, we keep feeding him with biscuit, water and milk.
About half an hour b4 the end of the show he can't sit still start to walk to our seat, could be too tired didn't had nap.
Later close to the end of the show he say want to go toilet, poor hb miss the last part haha...

Yeah with 'peer pressure' they sure will tahan till last bit haha... But this round consider got big improvement liao...

Van, shall try the Cash Converter.
If want to auction at ebay or Yahoo, do i need to pay any fee ?

Good day ladies !

Van, I went to Taka yesterday and saw the Tiger thermal cooker, asked the promoter how much was the endo knife set, she told me verbally that it is 23.90.. didn't see them selling the knife set separately in Taka..

Hee.. I bought a La Gourmet 6l thermal cooker that can also steam rice.. Thought I should buy the 3.5l, but was too small. Saw your 5.2 l Tiger one, actually it's not very big also.

Hey Amelia, thanks for the info on the aniodise ware..Saw them promoting in the market and in Tangs, don't know whether the ones they sell in the market authentic or not..

Hey Clover, I used to have a microwave.. will actually use warm wet cloth dabbed with dishwashing liquid to clean the inside and then wipe again with a clean cloth, think as long as the stains are gone and no smell, it should be clean, open the mic door to air it too.

Eh cat, my edd is early sept/ end aug..
My collection of steel pans not alot lah.. I haven't collected AMC leh.. Haha.. some pots were actually given to me..

hey sp, yah.. my ang was dozing off while I was looking at the demos.. and my 2 girls had their hands clasp together when they were with me.. cos they are like octopus !
Think I reached my shopping quota liao! No more shopping for kitchen ware in June.. heehee..
Soup boiled 2-3 hrs in a pot tastes better than slow cooker.. Dunno leh.. I can taste the diff.

What you all cooking ladies ?

LittleCat,
Glad to know that you managed to watch the show "peacefuly".

Both ebay sg and Yahoo sg auctions are free to use. ebay.com(US site) charge listing fee and final value fee but can "reach" more people.For newbies, it's better to start with the free sg sites.

I have found that things move faster at Yahoo sg auctions than ebay sg.Besides Yahoo auctions has more seller-friendly features like auto re-submit.But ebay sg has better techical support than yahoo.

Do a search of similar items on auctions/completed before you list you items, you will have better chance of selling it.

clover,
Beside my dd's school, I have seen menus of many cc when I went for cc hunting previously. Most look quite ok, especially the Kinderland at CCK centre,whether or not they really follow is a different thing.Will try to get some info for you.

I can't remember the details of the meals served in my dd's school,but I do ask her daily what she eats in school. Last night, I gave her a project, when she has finished her homework, she will start writing her "menus"on a little notebook, to list down what she eats in school.

Choc,
Thanks for the info on knife.Really have to sell that away.My kitchen cabinet is bursting liao.

Choc,
How much did you pay for your La Gourmet 6L thermal cooker? All these talk between you and Van on thermal cooker is making me curious! Some questions here:
- So you just cook whatever you want with the inner layer and then put it into the outer pot without electricity/fire to keep it warm?
- If I do the same for soups, does the soup still boil or simmer while in the outer pot without electricity/fire? Is the soup tasty? As in, would the meat from the soup get "boiled" into the soup?

Hi Soph, you back already !

The La Gourmet 6 l is 99 bucks, but i overheard that few weeks ago, it was less 20%..too late for me !

My sis and mum have one each.. was asking my sis whether the soup turned out tasty, she said not bad.. I have tasted her maid's pumpkin soup, porridge .. it's quite nice..

The instruction is that you have to boil soup or stew for about 20-30 mins with the cover and then put it in the thermal cooker for about 2 hrs or so. This 6 lit has 2 layers which you can cook rice without fire..

Just wash the rice in the top layer container and measure the amt of water for cooking rice, place on top of the half "cooked" soup and then put it into the thermal cooker.. for a few hrs..

Was asking a lady who bought it few months ago, she says it's good for stews and soup. She boiled her stew again for 20 mins aft taking out from the outer pot.
Cat said that the soup is ok, of cos not as tasty as boiling for few hrs..

Hey Choc,
Yep, I'm back from Ho Chi Minh... overdose of fish sauce and beef! Now craving for some simple homecooked vege dishes. It's a great place for buying fabrics too; I bought lots of fabric in anticipation of making some clothes for myself since I am now taking sewing course from the CC
happy.gif

Wow, even without the 20%, 99 bucks for a 6L pot is quite a good deal! Maybe I'll drop by Taka this weekend to take a look. I like the idea of cooking the rice in there too, and maybe being cooked/heated for so many hours in it will cook my brown rice properly, cos brown rice takes a longer time to cook even in the rice cooker, and I always have a problem with cooking my brown rice.

Choc,
$99 for the 6Lpot is really a good buy! Do let us know the results of soup and rice cooked in it,I may want to recommend it to my friend and cousin.

Saw in newspaper,Courts selling the Iona Brand 1.6l thermal pot at $19.90,think the size should be good for cooking for young couple.

Sophie,
Saw some tips on cooking brown rice in a past issue of magazine I bought,will go and dig it out to see if it's of help to you.

You have started taking sewing course? How is it? I wanted to take sewing course many years back, but changed my mind after seeing my cousin dropped out half-way,thinking that I won't have the patience like her.

Glad to "see" you back!

Van,
Thanks in advance for the tips on cooking brown rice!
smile.gif
My husband and I are big fans of brown rice! In fact, for a period of time, my mum was shocked that I didn't store white rice at home when she could only find brown rice.

The sewing course is quite fun. I am taking the Basic Sewing Course at the CC by this teacher called Ms. Lim Gim Foon. She's really patient, and makes us feel that sewing is fun cos she gives us ideas on how to modify a basic skirt to make many different types of skirts e.g. A-line, A-line with one hidden pleat behind, A-line with 2 hidden pleats in front etc. But you are right, you need loads of patience for sewing. For my first A-line skirt, I had to redraw my pattern cos I cut wrongly, unpick and sew some seams cos I sewed wrongly and redo the waistband cos my waistband turned out too short. She says for this 8-week course, we should be making at least 1 A-line skirt, 1 circular/semi-circular skirt, and 2 blouses. Try it! Then can make clothes for your dd too!

$19.90 is so cheap! If the brown rice tips does not need a thermal cooker, it'll be a good idea to buy this small $19.90 one to try out first. After 1 or 2 years when my family expands and if I like the concept of thermal cooking, then I may invest in a bigger and more expensive one.

Wow Soph! you must have eaten lots of pho .. did you learn how to make the soup stock ?
I don't know about cooking the brown rice in the thermal, can be a bit tricky.. I will normally soak the brown rice before I cook it.. and i add brown rice to my usual rice too.

Saw the small thermal cooker, it looks so cute !

Yah.. will tell you all about the thermal cooker.

Sewing.. hmm.. I sewed lots of culottes and elastic skirts for my girls too !
went for 2 sewing lessons from a tailor friend and decided to call it quits..the calculations can make me have nightmares..
but the satisfaction of seeing the end product is just so rewarding ! Have you all tried the sewing patterns from Spotlight? I have used a couple of them, but the sizes are not quite right..

Hi all,

Are they having sale on Tanyu now?

cupcake,

PMed u the link yesterday.

Choc,

Few asian brands make anodised cookware.If the brand name sounds weird, then it's probably better not to get.Actually, it's easy to tell whether it's authentic if you already know how anodised cookware look and feel.

Sophie,

I am interested in sewing lessons too!But i also wonder if i have the drive to complete the course hehe.
Can you describe the fabrics you got in ho chi minh?
happy.gif

Choc,
You are right, my Vietnamese friend (now living in New York) says the secret to the pho is actually in the stock. He told me about this place called Pho Pasteur on Pasteur Street which has the best pho in HCM, so he claims. But I couldn't find it cos he didn't have the address, only told me it's near the Pasteur Hospital, and when I asked people where the hospital is, they don't seem to understand me, so I didn't find the place in the end. I also like Bun Thit Nuong, the vermicelli eaten salad style with fish sauce and BBQ pork. Then there is also another dish which I tried in a Vietnamese restaurant in San Diego before, marinated beef wrapped like a spring roll with grape leaves... very yummy!
kao_drool.gif

Soaking the brown rice sounds like a good idea. Will try it!

I wanted to buy the patterns from Spotlight, but thought they were a little expensive as I didn't know how to sew at that time. Now that I've learnt some basics of sewing, I may buy some patterns to try out.

Amelia,
Vietnam only produces Vietnamese silk, but the good quality ones are not cheap, more than S$10 per metre. They are pretty fragile, so I didn't buy them as it will not be easy to sew such delicate cloth. I bought mostly the imported fabric like muslin and some shiny satin-like elastic material to make tops and skirts. A vendor told me those material are mainly imported from Korea. I also bought a striped cotton cloth to make some pillow cases.

Van,
I just went to Courts and saw the Iona 1.6L thermal cooker. It's cute, but not big enough for me cos I drink a lot of soup!
wink.gif
That pot will only be enough for me and dh won't have any left! Will probably need to take a look at the La Gourmet one.

Think the 6 lit thermal will be good for you , soph.. you can actually half the amt, which I will be doing..

Yah.. the viet spring rolls are yummy ! I can only recall one that I ate at Holland V, dunno whether still there or not..
A friend cooked pho and added pineapples to the stock with cinnamon and star anise.

When the patterns are on discount at spotlight, it's a good buy cos they are a few patterns in one packet.. I like the fabric in chinatown too !

Amelia,
Saw the tanyu pots in Taka having a sell, from big to small pots.. maybe you can check tangs..
Will check out the anodised pans if my teflon fails me !

Choc,
Yeah, I'll probably go take a look at Taka this weekend.

I just went to Chinatown on Sunday! But after renovations, there don't seem to be that many shops as last time? I spoke with one of the shopkeepers and he said some have not moved in yet, and some have decided to close down! Now that it's Great Singapore Sale, Spotlight may have some discounts, so I'll go take a look. Did you buy the Butterick or Simplicity brand? I like the Simplicity brand ones... cos they've got "Easy" patterns for beginners.

I like the simplicity brand also.. Ah! some shops closing down ? maybe their business not so good nowadays ! Will be going down to spotlight too.. if you go down, do tell us what good buy they is , k ?

When i go to the chinatown market, i like to eat the hainanese beef noodles !

hi hi everyone!
happy.gif

today is lyn's big day, hope everything is going well for her.

re: konnyaku
jelly also I can't make well.
embarrassed.gif
the konnyaku jelly powder kinda clumped together and I spent ages at the pot trying to break up the lumps. in the end the jelly was kinda hard, maybe too much water evaporated.
lame.gif

choc, sophie, amelia, van,
re: sewing
wah, u all so patient and capable! the only "sewing" I'm able to do is cross-stitch and that was a long long time ago, hehehe.

Eh sp, i also anyhow huntum one lah ! That's why I make the small size one, if not nice, they'll still wear it..
biggrin.gif

About the konnyaku, did you mix the powder first with cold water (tap water), cannot use hot water to mix it, cos it;ll clump together. Mix the powder thoroughly with water first, then you turn on the fire.. boil until you see small bubbles,off the fire and continue stirring until the bubbles disappear..

never mind, try again!

I ever baked 7 sponge cakes, and threw all away! Sayang right ? but cannot eat leh..
threw konnyaku jelly away before too, cos it didn't set, so I ended up digging all the fruits out..

BTW sp, where are the good food in KL? wanton mee, fried pig intestines porridge , nasi lemak.. etc ..can recommend some ? Might be going there.. My FIL likes to bring us to kum hor to eat. Forgot where we stayed the other time, I think the one with the cosmo theme park inside the shopping centre..

Hi Choc and sp
I didn't mix the konnyaku powder with cold water 1st.But when I pour the powder into the pot, I keep stirring the pot of water non-stop with a wooden spoon.One hand pour,one hand stir.I supposed that helps too?

Saw lyn's posting in another thread yesterday,think she is very very nervous before her delivery.

Sophie,
I am keen to learn sewing.But must buy a sewing machine, and if I drop out half way, it will turn a white elephant, and it's going to be a bulky white elephant.That's why I am hesitating...

Choc06,
I thought for jelly to set, the mixture must boil. I remember during my home econ class (ages ago), the stupid teacher din emphasize that the agar agar mixture must boil. The whole class juz heat up the mixture till sugar melted and put into fridge. No one got jelly to eat after the class.
happy.gif

Coincidently I made jelly this weekend too. Inspired by all of you. hahahaha. Turns out good cos my MIL polish of 2 trays before I even get to eat them.
happy.gif

Yeah, I was in the MRT just now and thinking that it's Lyn's big day... Good luck to her! I'm sure she's in good hands as her gynae is so experienced.

Sp,
I think cross-stitch needs just as much patience cos have to count those tiny little boxes... I'm sure you can do sewing if you want to!

Van,
You are right - a sewing machine that becomes a white elephant is almost useless, cos I think have to use it often and maintain it, otherwise repair costs can be a few hundred dollars. I have not bought my own machine yet; am using my MIL's one
wink.gif

Choc! 7 sponge cakes is such a waste! How come cannot be eaten? Never mind if it's ugly or if it sinks... just eat it? Today too tired to go Spotlight cos I went to my mum's place in Yishun and lugged all my fabric to show her. Bought her 2 pcs of fabric too, but she says one of it is too "ang kong kong" (red) *sigh* Maybe will go Spotlight tomorrow.

Is the Hainanese beef noodles the one in the Chinatown market 2nd floor? Heard the claypot rice there is good too?

hi all

busy like mad woman.. dun think can 'tong' long, may be they are trying to get rid of me hor...

yes it is Lyn's big day, so happy for her, she can see her baby today!

I make the konnyaku jelly last Sunday too. haha read too much so must do something liao.
I tried with the Kiwi seed. and i know my picky boy won't eat so i make another one without.
Later when i show him the jelly, he straight away said 'I dun want the one got *ants* one..' alamak!

The first time i make konnyaku jelly also failed, like u SP. I realized i have to mix the sugar+the konnyaku jelly powder first before pour into the cold water. Now i don't bother to use those castor sugar, just normal sugar also works.

I saw last time not sure at which shopping center they have this mini size sewing machine can sew even adult's cloth.
Pai seh last time during home econ we have sewing and cooking, i hate sewing class, cos i very 'chor lor' the clothes turn out funny...

Yah cupcake, the jelly mixture must boil first, i always use the red man brand.. stirring helps break the clumps too.. the instruction says cont to stir aft boiling (when you see small bubbles),
wah.. what jelly did you make ? that made your MIL polish the whole tray ?

Eh soph, my friend gave a few of us this very sensitive, non-fool proof recipe on butter cake. Got to add cold eggs, cold water and the emulsifier gel.. Got to beat egg white until stiff peak, that time, just trial and error, so the cake turned out like kueh a few times.. top part cake, bottom kueh the other times and it didn't taste good.. Was unwilling to give up, my friend asked me about the dimension of my cake tin.. ha.. that was the PROBLEM !
uhoh.gif

Aiyoh! it's so paiseh to share my foolish experience!

The beef noodles on the second floor.. one ah pek with 2 women selling it.. Saw people eating the claypot rice too.. haven't tried it tho..

choc, van,
Thanks for the tips, I'll definately try again after a few weeks, hehe.

cupcake,
wah, yr MIL really can eat hor, hahaha...

choc,
last time where u stay ah, I don't know which shopping centre got cosmo...
lame.gif

I very long never get to eat my fav banana leaf nasi lemak, it's near Avon opposite Maju Junction/ Pertama Complex. It's a stall that appears after office hours. The last time we ate was >1yr ago, was RM1 each pack, I usually need to eat 2, heehee.

Wanton mee I like Koon Kee at Petaling Street, must go to the original shop which is opposite Hong Leong bank, they open after 10.30am.

want to fwd u an email on good food in KL but can't pm u. yr email address in spmctr also @... not complete, how ah? maybe u pm me yr email address?

Choc,
When you mean cosmo, is there also a roller coaster on the ceiling of the shopping mall? I remember Times Berjaya has this roller-coaster with a cosmo theme within the shopping mall, and there is a hotel there too. Not sure if it's the one you're talking about?

hahaha, my MIL is born in the year of the rat. She luvs anything jelly. Always scavaging the fridge for anything to eat when she was chasing tv serials. Happen that she saw, eat and cannot stop...
Amelia,
got the link. thanks

hi, choc,
I asked my hb abt fried pig intestines porridge, he said, "There is a pasar malam like hawker center near Jln Pudu Maybank, further in there is a pork porridge that is not bad one.. but security is a concern there, dont know whether she wants to go there or not."

haven't got yr pm yet, will check email again later.

cheers and have a good day, everyone. It's Wed only but I already can't wait for weekend... kekeke...

Hi sp, pm you liao! we love the pig intestine porridge ! The one they serve in chinatown has so little intestines !

So, is it sch hols in KL now ?

Wah cupcake, looks like your MIL has a sweet tooth huh ?

Hey ladies what you all cooking ?

Hope annelise is ok... Eh cat, don't overwork yourself.. take it easy hor !

Hello lyn, rest well..

hi, choc,
just replied yr pm and sent u the email.

ya, last week and this week is sch hols, going to be over soon, the jams will return next Mon, sob.

Hi all,
Have been busy these two days.I am down with cold,whereas my dd has sprained her ankle's ligament,but she is better now,after I brought her to see doctor yesterday.Doctor said it's very mild sprain, no ballet for a week, but swimming is ok.

On the way back from doctor, she suddenly said to me"Mummy, I am so poor thing, so many problems." I am quite amused when hearing that.

While she was doing her Maths homework, she suddenly asked me how to spell forgot.I was wondering why she need to know that while doing Maths. Turned out to be, she wrote a note for her teacher "I am wrong with the yellow, because I forgot, so I put a cross X on the yellow."

I am really glad and impressed that she wrote a note to her teacher to explain out of her own initiative.

Sorry, not cooking and baking related,just to share wit the kakis here.

Had a nice buffet dinner last night at Shangri-La's The Line. The spread is really fantastic,good food, nice ambience,and best of all no charge of kids below 6.But it's quite expensive.

It's the first time my girl really enjoys a buffet dinner at hotel ,so many things for her to eat.Some buffet that we went, she could only eat butter roll with soup or fried rice.

Choc,
I admire your persistence! 7 sponge cake to throw away! Usually those sponge cake that require separating egg yolk and egg white are harder to make.

When beating egg white, make sure your utentils,bowls,beater,everthing is streaky clean.No traces of oil or egg yolk accidentally drop in.Best to wash all the utensils with hot water to remove any traces of oil.

Fold in the egg white lightly, so that the bubbles/air hold, if not the cake will turn into kueh.

LittleCat,
Started taking pictures of your unwanted items for auctions already?

I sold a bag last Friday.So got extra money to ... ha ha, buy a new bag!

Take care,rest well.

Wow ! Buffet at Shangrila .. how much is per adult ?What kind of food do they serve ? Know where has nice high tea ? Craving for tarts, finger food ..went to cafe vienna but not quite good spread years ago..
My dds like sushi only and the dessert section ..

Time to take your grandma's recipe on dao chiam for your cold !
Your daughter is very sensible huh..how did she sprain her ankle ?

Have been thinking of ways to occupy my 2 .. last night, we went to IMM to watch Barney.. the show started at 7pm, but the photo-taking tickets were all snapped up at 6.30pm(limited to 20 families), so we got to stand at the back to watch.. quite a good half an hr show with all the barney songs..

You are right van, I also realised that the mixing bowl got to be oil-free when i whisk the egg whites.. btw, my kenwood whisk is almost breaking apart, you know where I can get the spare part ?

Thanks alot, sp..

Choc,
Top part cake and bottom kueh quite nice yeah? I think Bengawan got some kuehs that's like that?
wink.gif

Van,
Your dd so cute... but I agree with her... so poor thing. Got the viral infection on throat and now ankle! You take care of yourself too!

Yep, haven't seen Annelise for awhile... hope she is OK.

These few days no supply of lotus roots? Tried looking for it from Monday till today cos felt like drinking lotus root soup, but cannot find in all NTUCs in Bishan. Had to settle for old cucumber soup today.

Haha.. yah.. wanted to sell my cake-kuey to Bengawan but dunno how to charge for one piece leh..

I'm cooking hairy marrow soup with pork balls.. This few days very warm, need some cooling soup..
Realised that there isn't any lotus roots in the market too..do you ask the veg seller to cut the lotus root for you, sometimes, the inside is black..

Eh, I'm embarrassed to say this, but I hardly go to the wet market cos I don't get up early enough.
embarrassed.gif
By the time I get up and "tu" around with the Internet, it's normally 11+ and stalls at the wet markets would normally have closed. That's why I go to NTUC more often. The lotus roots in NTUC are vacuum-sealed, and so far, I haven't gotten any bad ones.

Hairy marrow... That's the fat green gourd-like thingy yeah? I always wonder how to cook that other than frying it. My mum cuts them into thin strips then frys it with tung hoon and sometimes add eggs to it. Maybe I'll try it in a soup one of these days.

I bought a pack of crushed corn yesterday, cos it looks so yellow and pretty. May try it in a dessert with rock sugar and beancurd skin.

Choc
The buffet cost $61+++ for adults, on Thurs day is $80 something +++ but with free flow of wine/champagne or something like that, but it's $45+++ on Saturday afternoon according to my friend.Kids from 6-12 are charged $34+++.

It's expensive, but my friends and I all feel that the spread of food is quite worth that kind of price.

The spread is really good.There is a station with
lobster,oyster,crayfish,scallop,crabs and prawns.Western,Italian,Chinese,Indian,Noodles and Congee,Ice Cream(with stir-fry ice-creams,and lots of toppings including fruit jelly sweets,jelly beans...)Dessert staions,pancake staions,Sushi and Sashimi,Dim Sum stations....

Service is also excellent.The Captain asked the Indian chef to make some cheese naan (only plain and garlic naan are served on the buffet table).My super fussy eater dd ate a few pieces of the plain and cheese naan.

Have you tried Baccarat at Plaza by the Park? t also has fairly good spread and not too expensive.

For high tea, friends and I love Goodwood Park and Marriot Hotel.Keep going back. Traders Hotel is a BIG NO NO.

Hi van

Your girl is so sweet and mature! The last time my dd had a mild sprain, I used the Kodomo brand cool fever (tui4 re4 tie1) to stick on her ankle for a couple of hours and it healed really fast! Hope she gets well soon - you take care too
happy.gif

Hi choc

Thanks for asking after me - I'm booked for a d&c next week to remove the polyp - then it's the agonising wait for the biopsy result
sad.gif
Hey, I used to enjoy sewing too! I had a couple of patterns for girls' clothes from Spotlight but I haven't been able to find them eversince I shifted house 2 years ago!

Hi LittleCat

I'm going to watch Cars this weekend - but 2 hour show a bit long hor? Your boy very good - can tahan so long!

I'm not cooking today - hb said to take a break. Will pop by b-i-y on Sat to buy the coloured gels and icings - Phoon Huat carries a very limited range of Wilton products. I was at Chong's Trading - wow, lots of character-shaped cake pans but quite pricey! The cheapest I've seen is at Sun Lik but the range is quite limited there.

hi all... aiyoh no more energy liao..
i only scare the stress will pass to my baby...

Van, sorry to hear that, hope your dd is better now.
ooi, u sell one bag and use the money to get another bag ?
haha, my hb trying to get rid of my bags... i say can, u give me xx amount i will go buy new one and he dare not touch liao.

Annelise, yeah lor i didn't know it is 2 hours show, cos didn't check the preview, didn't check the ticket... i also amzed he can tahan so long.. may be also bcos his fav auntie (my hb's cousin) is there so he can last abit longer, plus all the titbits etc...
July 1 going to bring watch Superman, got free ticket again :p

wow Van, u rich tai-tai go so expensive buffet.

Last week we went Tripple 3 at Mandarin Orchard for buffet $45+++ (weekday lunch). Company lunch so no need to come out $$. Very good too. Got lobster soup, sashimi, plus some cooked food (western + local), plus lots of chocolates!!!

van i check the yahoo and ebay so chim one... guess i just bring it to cash converter liao...

Sophie, for me i dun like to go wet market bargain with the auntie/uncle, so i will go NTUC or other air cond supermarket :p

got go to back to the battle field liao.. ciao!

annelise,
sorry to hear that u need to go for d&c.

van,
yr dd very bright for her age! how's her ankle, better?
wow, the buffet sounds really good
kao_drool.gif

little cat,
work smart, tai chi the stress away to other ppl, hehe. eh, how come so many lubang can get free tickets, so good...
happy.gif

Wah.. thanks for the info on the food and the high tea.. yah shangrila a bit pricey.. shall wait for my wed anniversary.. I LOVE oysters too.. add lemon and tabasco sauce, slurp slurp but I find the one at sakura not so fresh..

Anne, glad to hear from you.. is yours a day op? The last time i went was in the morn, by late morn, I was walking out of the clinic already.. don't worry too much ok..

Eh cat, market give more hum leh.. NTUC and cold storage very ngiao one leh..

Soph, yah.. my mum also fries the hairy marrow with eggs and tung hoon... recently, she added chai poh to the eggs and marrow.. very appetizing !

Have you all tried the long green gourd, is it called snake gourd ? The last time I ate was in Penang , one of the indian stalls, they fry it with cumin seeds..

Anyone knows how to cook bottle gourd ? I only know it's for trapping hantu !
crazy.gif

Littlecat,
no tai-tai lah.It's the first time I went for such expensive buffet, at the request of the buffet girl leh.

I went to Tripple 3 before, but only paid 50%,cos friend's hb work in Mandarin, so he used his monthly quota to give us discount. The Line has more things to eat than Tripple 3.

You can ask the cash converter to quote,but be prepared the price they quote won't be too high.If it's brand new items, should be easy to get rid through auctions. Let me know if you really want to auction off,I should be able to help you.

But I agree It can be quite time consuming to do auctions sales.You need to take photos,write auctions descriptons, answer to queries and arrange for meet-up/collections or posting the items out.

Choc
my dd sprained her ankle when playing with her scooter.

If you love oyster,should go Baccarat.The oysters there are so plump and succulent!

Thanks all,my dd is beter now.

Annelise,
You take care and have good rest.

Take flu medicine until drowsy...Really need to cook some Dao Ciam and put lots of pepper liao.

hi Annelise,
Do take care of yourself. The 2 days after the D&C, try and have someone help you look after your kids, or if you have to look after them yourself, cook simple stuff and let them stay at home with you. I was out walking at Chinatown the day after my D&C, and got "caught" by a friend who is a nurse. She says different people react differently to the anesthesia, and in some cases the "sleepy" reaction can be delayed, so she made me go home and rest. For me, I was totally wide awake and active after my D&C, then for the 2 days after, I just knock out for a few hours while watching TV.

Choc,
Hmm... chai po sounds nice with the hairy gourd! What is snake gourd? Is it the long dark green one that has got long sharp lines sticking out of it?

hi Annelise,
I really too busy and miss the part, u take good care and make sure you have good rest after that.

Thanks Van for offering help on the auction. But my items not those expensive one leh.. pai seh pai seh...

choc, bottle gourd cook with dried prawns. Or u can hang there till dried then can scare the hantu away.. better than garlic , cos bigger mah :p

Choc,
I tried your method of soaking my brown rice in water today... it worked really well! My brown rice turned out totally cooked and not hard at all
happy.gif
Thanks for the tip!

Back