Catholic Mothers

Hi gals,

I'm a Catholic mummy too and I have 2 boys and a girl. Most probably gonna get my baby girl baptised at St Anne this coming 26 Aug as now most Churches dont do it every month.

Thanks Bin for welcoming me to the club.

Welcome Celia and Petrina! (My turn to do the same!)

Bin: I used to be a legionary in sec school and jc. hehe. And I used to pray this prayer card for the beatification of Edith Stein. Never knew I would name my gal after her.

Well... I am still in my confinement month. My hubby had started to bring my older gal home at night after dinner at his parents and she will be with us on weekends. He is giving feedback that he is tired out. Therese (14 mths) is very active and inquisitive. She loves to touch things that she isn't suppose to touch. We're thinking of getting a helper after my maternity and no-pay leave. You also have a 14 mth old so I think you'll understand what I mean. haha. Is yours a gal or boy?

Hi all,

Juz a reminder...it's Assumption of Mary feast day today, day of obligation
happy.gif

Hi goofygloves,
Mine's a boy (and so is no. 2!) and yup, can totally understand
happy.gif
Extra pairs of hand will help to keep everyone sane :p I'm thinking of engaging part-time cleaner at least to begin with.

Take care!

any Catholic mummies on contraceptives or do u stick to NFP? now my kid's 7 months old, dun wanna get preggers so soon.. hmm..any comments etc??

Hi rubber ducky,

Juz to share my personal experience. I stopped breast-feeding and menses regulated when my 1st born was around 6 MO, we sort of took a "let the nature take its course" approach though I did keep a lookout on my fertile days (ie. NFP). I only strike with no.2 after half a year and is rather happy with the time gap. I believe that He provides, in His time...

The possible conception period (fertile phase) is very short in every cycle and I believe it could be avoided if planned with little effort
happy.gif
If needed, there is always the NFP "refresher" course available, even for breast-feeding mummies.

Hope you do persevere with NFP
happy.gif

Hi rubby ducky

NFP is an effective method of family planning if you look out for your fertility signs and chart properly. Apparently, after giving birth, our fertility pattern changes.

After having my first child, although I tried to look out for my pattern of fertility, it wasn't that easy. I do have to admit that I wasn't meticulous in charting
kao_sticktongue.gif
That's how I had my second child quite soon after.

I have now learnt my lesson and will go for a refresher course. Hubby is supportive too! hehe.

hi Mummies,

sorry to intrude this thread. Forgive me for not being familiar with lots of terminology u used in catholism. I'm actually a protestant. my hub was born & baptised in a catholic family. Now my son already coming 9 mths old and my MIL insists on baptising him before we leave for Oz in 4 weeks' time.
I just want to find out how should my son be dressed for the baptism? I'm not very keen to spend $$ for that one time ceremony leh. Any practical alternatives?

Hi peace,

My gynae delivers in Mt A but his clinic is in Toa Payoh. PM me for his contact if you are keen.

Hi ozziemummie,

My MIL wanted to get a christening gown for my boy, but fortunately she can't find one
kao_sticktongue.gif

More importantly, anything comfy for the baby will do
happy.gif

hi gals!!

I'm also a catholic mummy to be..
happy.gif

expecting a bb girl on 14th dec.. but chances are she may be out slightly earlier.. heee
happy.gif

Hi CSI! i'm here too.. haha..

hi betterworld,

dunno if u would remember me.. but i was also from the brides forum catholic thread.. haha..

actually CSI and i got married around the similar time.. and now our bbs also coming out around the same timing.. really a coincedence.. hehe
happy.gif

hi Petrina!!

yah lorh, our situation so coincidental. heehee...God's plan. kekekekeke....
happy.gif

It's All Saints' Day today...
happy.gif

weird to have 2 same name mummies here... haha
I'm due in mar 08.

Anyone in blessed sacrament church? I may opt to have bb baptised in Holy Cross as i was baptised there..

hi petrina,

haha.. yupz.. both same names.. nice name mah..
happy.gif

i'm from St Vincent De Paul church.. should be having my gal baptised there too.. or maybe in Immaculate Heart of Mary coz the Father that baptised me is now in that church..

CSI,

haha.. god sure works in mysterious ways..
happy.gif

hi Catholic Mummies, i just chanced upon this thread :p what a pleasant surprise! im attending SFX church, married there and son also baptised there.....coz staying near there now

Hi Winnie - I was married at SFX, son was baptised there too
happy.gif
Altho I live in Choa Chu Kang, I still attend SFX cos my mum lives in Serangoon area
happy.gif

hmmm, I haven't thought of where to baptise bb yet. Still thinking. Either Holy Cross (I was baptised there), St Teresa (hb was baptised there and we were married there) or SPP (the priest that married us is from there, and hb is lector there now). hmmm...but nvm lah. Still have time to think it through. kekeke...

usually for infant baptism, it's those "mass baptism" kind is it? All the babies having it together kinda thing?

dunno leh...coz I do see on the bulletins, making announcements like "for those planning to baptise their babies this month, pls register with the secretariat" kinda thing. Then I've also attended a special mass for infant baptism (as in newborns to 1 yr or so babies) - outside usual mass timings, but lots of babies being baptised together. So not sure what's the practice nowadays lorh. hehs.

hi mommies, usually if u want ur child to be baptized, u have to check with church secretary when is the next baptism. one or 2 weeks before the big day, parents and god-parents have to attend a preparation course (basically briefing on what to do, what to expect etc). after that, if u wish, u can have a reception at the church premise or somewhere else. Baptism is a beautiful day for your child
happy.gif
blessings to all moms and children!!

Hi mommies, my daughter was baptized at St Francis of Assisi as we belong to that church, we had our own individual service. Actually supposed to be with a group but couldnt as timing was not rite..

Hi mommies.

I'm due in July 2008. This is the period of time for me to decide whether to do NT scan and triple blood test. In a dilemma now. Wondering how many of you did and why? My tots now are to forgo these tests since being a Catholic, I'll keep the bb no matter wat happens. However, the tests will keep me 'better' informed?

What did you gals do?

Hi Yepod,

I did the tests as recommended by the gynae. I am Catholic but I went thru the tests to know the condition of my baby
happy.gif

Hi yepod,

I did the recommended tests too. Like Sysac, I did them to understand the condition of my babies, in case baby need immediate medical attention upon arrival, we would be prepared for the necessary interventions.

HTHs
happy.gif

Hi yepod,
My husband and i decided not to do the tests as abortion was not an option. Our baby boy is now 2 and a half months old and healthy. We were glad we didn't do them.

hi mummies!
Long time never pop by this thread liaoz. My baby gal was born on 8 Dec (Immaculate Conception - EDD was on 7th, but she waited till past midnight to engage and come out. hahaha...everybody says she knows when to choose...kekeke). been busy adapting. hehs...

Just wanted to wish all, a Blessed Christmas!
happy.gif

Oh yepod, I did the tests but it wasn't for the option of abortion. It was just to know and understand the condition of baby. To be prepared.
happy.gif

hi mummies!
Long time never pop by this thread liaoz. My baby gal was born on 8 Dec (Immaculate Conception - EDD was on 7th, but she waited till past midnight to engage and come out. hahaha...everybody says she knows when to choose...kekeke). been busy adapting. hehs...

Just wanted to wish all, a Blessed Christmas!
happy.gif

Oh yepod, I did the tests but it wasn't for the option of abortion. It was just to know and understand the condition of baby. To be prepared.
happy.gif

Hi mommies,

Thank you so much for all the sharing on whether or not to do the tests! We have decided to not do the tests as they are just screening tests.

Have a most blessed 2008 ahead!! Cheersz!!!

hi mummies, sorry to intrude. like to ask about baptism. if anyone has more info, can you please share? both my husband and i are catholics but honestly, not the most pious of catholics. much as we want to have our baby (due in july) baptised, we're facing quite a major stop sign. on the form, it asks for godpa and godma's name. the problem is that only confirmed catholics can be godparents.

godpa is baptised, not confirmed, and godma is not even baptised. but these are the 2 people we trust most and want our child to grow up to be close to. we are not really comfortable just having spiritually strong friends or relatives to be the baby's godparents just to fulfill the form filling portion.

good example: i have not met my own godpa from my time of baptism about 15 years ago.

so we're stuck in a dilema - if we want our child to be baptised in a catholic church here, we have to have confirmed catholics as her godparents. who may not necessarily be people we are close to. but if we want her to have our originally chosen 2 as her godpa and godma, it seems like we will not be able to baptise her officially

has anyone gone through this? anyone knows if there's any way to solve this dilema? thanks in advance!!

pinkbunny,
ref to your question, as far as I am aware, godparents ideally should be PRACTISING Catholics. Practising does not necessary mean that the person has to be confirmed.

May i ask which parish are you intending to have your baby baptised?

I think it will be a good idea for you to spend some time speaking to the parish priest and find out more. Some priests are more easy going while others are very old school and by the book. There may not be a hard and fast rule to this and I'm sure the clergy would be happy to 'bend' the rules a bit. Most would rather have one more 'saved soul' than to lose 3 (in this case, i supposed if things dun work out, your family might walk out of church??).

Anyway there is no hurry/deadline to baptise your child even though most of us would do it when the kid is abt 1-3mths. When my son got baptised last June (he was just 1 mth), along with him were babies of various ages, ranging from 3-8 mths.

do talk to a priest and find out more. Hope this helps.

walk out of church? no, but disappointed yes.

well i haven't spoken to anyone, this is just the initial shock based on looking at the form. st bernadette at zion road. that's where we go.

even if it is practising catholics, we also have a problem there. godpa is not so much a church goer, godma is not catholic.

whether or not there is a deadline doesn't really matter. if the regulations are fixed and unbendable then it won't matter how long we wait.

yes we would like our daughter to be brought up as a catholic but can't live with the fact that the only way to do so is to have her recognise people who may be practising/confirmed catholics but are otherwise not close to us (the parents)

hehe..pinkbunny, just kidding abt the walking out of church bit...
happy.gif

like i said, do speak with a priest abt the situation you have.

would you be open to having your baby baptised in other parishes, if in the event the priests at St Berns are firm on the rules? I'm sure there will be other priests in other parishes who would look at things differently.

Hi pinkbunny,

I beg to differ if godparents are not practising catholics, it seems to defeat the purpose of having godparents since they are suppose to be role models to our children in the faith.

It is not absolutely neceesary that the godparents must be confirmed catholics and actually you only need 1 sponsor.

Quote from Catholic Encyclopedia..."These sponsors, in default of the child's parents, are obliged to instruct it concerning faith and morals. One sponsor is sufficient and not more than two are allowed. In the latter case, one should be male and the other female. The object of these restrictions is the fact that the sponsor contracts a spiritual relationship to the child and its parents which would be an impediment to marriage. Sponsors must themselves be baptized persons having the use of reason and they must have been designated as sponsors by the priest or parents. During the baptism they must physically touch the child either personally or by proxy. They are required, moreover, to have the intention of really assuming the obligations of godparents. It is desirable that they should have been confirmed, but this is not absolutely necessary."

For my son's godparents, we asked good friends whom we seldom meet. But we know that they are definitely good examples to our son. Ultimately, the responsibility of bringing our children up as good Christians still lie with the parents.

Think if I am in your dilema, I might find 1 sponsor who is strong in the faith to be her godma and ask the 2 friends mentioned to be the child's "other" godparents "outside church"
happy.gif

hi bin

that's my problem. if i seldom meet these
people, how can they be good examples? our problem is that we are catholics but my husband's brother (godpa) and my sister (godma) are not. we know that the child's upbringing spiritually will be our responsibility. we do want her to be brought up as catholic. and it seems that the only way is for us to grab acquintances to pose as our child's godparents.

that is what i'm not comfortable with. anyway, all pending until we can clear it up with st bernadette!

thanks for your input, everyone!

Hello mummies,
I just found this thread. I'm a Catholic MTB, currently 9 weeks pregnant. Hope to get to know more Catholic mums here.
happy.gif

I was considering delivering at TMC (because my gynae has her clinic there) but am now interested in Mt A because of what some mummies have written here. Has anyone else delivered at Mt A recently? What are some of the Catholic 'privileges' that we can enjoy there? E.g. nuns praying for us, or having access to communion? Hope to get feedback from the other mummies here. Thanks!

Hi echo,

Welcome & congrats!

I delivered at Mt A last end Nov. My 2nd time there. When I was warded in the delivery suite, a lady came and prayed with me. I had daily communion after that. Upon discharge, we had a blessing at the chapel. Would definitely encourage you to deliver at Mt A. Besides these "freebies", you will definitely be happy with their service.
happy.gif

Does your gynea delivers at Mt A?

Hi bin,
Thanks for your reply! All these 'freebies' definitely make Mt A sound much more appealing to me than any other hospital. I will definitely check with my gynae if she delivers at Mt A.

I actually chose my gynae because she's Catholic (recommended to me by one of my close friends from church), so if any of you are looking for a Catholic gynae, do let me know!
happy.gif

Hi echo,

Mt Alvernia is really a great hospital to deliver our babies especially more meaningful for us, Catholics. Here's my story on why I choose Mt A.

- when I was a child, i saw a chinese programme where they featured this hospital, showing the statue of Mother Mary in the roof top. It left such a deep impression on me that I never ever forget abt it.
- when I got older, I tried to find out more abt this hospital (didnt know the name of the hospital) but no luck. I dare not asked people around me as they might think I'm crazy to be sourcing around for the hospital that I hope to be admitted to.
- then in my early 20s, visited my bf's (now my hubby) grandmother in hospital and I was so captivated by the sight of the status of Mother Mary on the roof top.
- words cannot describe how I felt that very moment. I told myself that this is gonna be the hospital that I'm going to be admitted to(i.e give birth cos we dont wanna anyhow stay in hospital)
- when I was first pregnant, I made sure the gynae that I went to wld deliver at Mt Alvernia and the rest is history.

I delivered all my 3 kids at Mt Alvernia and got the sister to carry out the blessing of my newborn(s) at the chapel.

happy.gif
happy.gif
happy.gif

Hi echo,

Hope your gynea delivers at Mt A
happy.gif
Enjoy your pregnancy too!

Hi celia,

Your story sounds drama
happy.gif

Actually Mother Mary was one of my pillars of strength during my delivery. I had wanted natural birth without epidural. I looked at the Mary's sculpture in the delivery suite, and asked for graces and strength to deliver naturally as she did with Jesus (where got epidural that time!?!). I prayed the Hail Mary at each contractions too
happy.gif
Hee...finally I did it not once, but twice.

Hi bin, thanks for sharing your story! Very inspiring. (And cute too, that you thought about Mary's birth as inspiration to persevere through a natural birth!) Makes me more confident about opting for a natural birth.
happy.gif

Just to share, I'm at 9W2D now and, last night, I bumped my tummy into the back of a chair! I was so scared, even though I wasn't really feeling any unusual pain after the bump. When I went to lie down after that, my hubby and I bought put our hands on the belly and prayed a decade of rosary over the baby. This morning I woke up feeling fine, with no spotting or anything, so praise God!
happy.gif

Back