Cannot detect baby heartbeat at week 8

esther_oka

Today, it was my sad day. I went for transvaginal -scan. The doctor cannot detect baby heartbeat. I am now week 8. The doctor say it is M/C. The doctor advises to wash out. However, i did not have any bleeding. I really lost and don't know what to do. Anyone has advice what should i do? I very confused and sad. Is it too early to detect heartbeat?

Hi Esther, I'm so sorry to hear that. Did you do a scan before, as in was this not your first scan? Did you hear the fetal heartbeat at the last scan? What happened to me was at Week 7-11 we could hear the heartbeat, and then after that, the doctor noticed nothing. They said who knows, sometimes it could be hiding, in certain positions, or it could be weak, too faint to hear. They gave me some medication to help strengthen the baby, told me to take a few days and come back to see what happens. They said to stay positive and see how it goes. For me, I kinda already knew, and few days later it was true. If so for you, I really am truly sorry. But if there is some hope, I'm sure your gynae will do their best. Otherwise, if it isn't the case, then it's the fetus knowing something wasn't right and choosing to abort for its own good. It's nobody's fault and sad to say it happens. I know just how difficult it is, so if you need someone to talk to about it, please feel free to mail me. I hope I can help you in any way. *hugs*

Today, it was my sad day. I went for transvaginal -scan. The doctor cannot detect baby heartbeat. I am now week 8. The doctor say it is M/C. The doctor advises to wash out. However, i did not have any bleeding. I really lost and don't know what to do. Anyone has advice what should i do? I very confused and sad. Is it too early to detect heartbeat?

Hello, i would like to suggest you speak to one of your trusted family member or/and friend to get another trusted gynac contact and go for 2nd opinion.

All the best. Jia you.

Did dr ask U to wait another week for scan. If next scan still no heartbeat then this pregnancy is not viable. U can either insert med to flush it away or wait for natural mc. Sorry

Hi Esther, previously for me (in Jan), I had blood tests done one or 2 days apart and it showed my HCG levels had dropped drastically. Gynae wanted me to get a D&C done but I opted for natural. I understand what you're feeling and please don't feel like it's something you did/didn't do!

Hi Esther,

For my experience, You should seek for 2nd opinion. I was at my 6 weeks when I had sudden bleeding.
Me and my husband rushed to KKH emergency (A&E). After examination by "Technician", he confirmed my pregnancy and do a transvirginal scanning for me as well
and then he said he couldn't detect our foetus's heartbeat. Usually will be detected on 6-7 weeks and told me and my husband out of 10 pregnancy there are 1 cases like this and tell me and my husband to try again in future. I did question the "technician" whether can the little heart beat be detected on 8 weeks or further weeks he mentioned usually is 6-7weeks. I was crying once I step out of the hospital but we decide to seek for 2nd opinion. The day itself we visit another private gyane from Gleneagles and we did the scan again. Gynae then show me foetus's heart beat. Therefore, if you encountered such cases, you should seek for 2nd opinion to confirm you are having a miscarriage. Do not trust those so called " young technician" or inexperience gynae. If you feel anything not right you should really go seek for 2nd opinion. Like my case, my bleeding covers half of the pad but she's ok and the doctor misdiagnosed. So, future if some gynae or whoever tells you something bad happened. Try seeking 2nd opinion.

Any doctor regardless of experience or not will eventually make a mistake here or there. The one that claim they have never made any mistake before is either a plain liar or living a life of denial. This is the reason why when things that are so critically important, if the 1st doctor regardless experience or whichever hospital he/she is from declare something you choose not to believe or/and accept. ALSWAYS go to at least one other doctor, preferable a different hospital too for a 2nd opinion. Another thing to note is that doctor can only give recommendation, it is ultimately your private decision which final path you decide to take.

There is totally no need to feel bad/sorry when you decide to go for 2nd or 3rd opinion or even switch gynac. They are all professional and should be able to accept patient final decision without giving black face, should any doctor exhibit such lousy attitude, they are mostly too immature, inexperience or/and in a rush to make a lot of $$$ to upgrade their car/house. These are the ones you should run away from. Alsways remember there cannot be only 1 greatest gynac in Singapore, we are blessed to have many wonderful gynac in Singapore, i am sure there are at least 10 very well known gynac for us to pick & choose.

Jia you.

I just went for a scan at wk9 this week, and was devastated to know that baby was not developing well since wk5 as its too small for a wk9. Went for another scan with another sonographer 2 days later to confirm and got the same result. Got no bleeding/ cramps so Gynae said that it's a silent mc.

He suggested me to either wait for the mc to happen naturally (which might need to wait up to 2 wks or more) or to go for a d&c.

So upset and couldn't think properly. It's my first pregnancy... :(

I just went for a scan at wk9 this week, and was devastated to know that baby was not developing well since wk5 as its too small for a wk9. Went for another scan with another sonographer 2 days later to confirm and got the same result. Got no bleeding/ cramps so Gynae said that it's a silent mc.

He suggested me to either wait for the mc to happen naturally (which might need to wait up to 2 wks or more) or to go for a d&c.

So upset and couldn't think properly. It's my first pregnancy... :(
So sorry to hear that. Do you experience other symptoms ?
I had a mc 2 years ago too. Molar. But my friends encouraged me that usually if the baby is not developing well or in healthy condition, the body will try to end the pregnancy. So think on the better side, perhaps it would be better to wait for the next healthy one? Cheer up

So sorry to hear that. Do you experience other symptoms ?
I had a mc 2 years ago too. Molar. But my friends encouraged me that usually if the baby is not developing well or in healthy condition, the body will try to end the pregnancy. So think on the better side, perhaps it would be better to wait for the next healthy one? Cheer up

Thank you for your encouragement! Will try to stay positive..

so sorry to hear that :( esther, i think you should consult another gynae before to wash out. pray for you ♥

so sorry to hear that :( esther, i think you should consult another gynae before to wash out. pray for you ♥
I'm in a similar situation right now.
Gynae advised to either wait for bleeding to come naturally or to wash out. Up to individual.
I'm waiting till end of this week to see if everything comes out naturally, if not I'll go for the d&c... I've got slight bleeding yesterday..

Stay strong too, Esther!

I had same situation on last year March. No heartbeat detected at wk 8 and no bleeding as well. I was devastated but have to move on as i still have to care for my then 2 year old girl.
What i did after had it wash out, i just have to rest well and do a simple confinement. Shortly after 4 months I was pregnant again and I just delivered on March (last month). I was told our body are in the ready for pregnant again mode even if you just have washed off. Therefore rest well and get yourself ready to be pregnant again.
Be strong and rest well ladies!

Hi, I just had miscarriage at week 8, detected in week10 after slight bleeding. Doc can't detect the heartbeat. Just had D&C last Friday. Not sure what's the next step for me now. This is my second miscarriage, feeling down.

Any advise from anyone?

Hi, I just had miscarriage at week 8, detected in week10 after slight bleeding. Doc can't detect the heartbeat. Just had D&C last Friday. Not sure what's the next step for me now. This is my second miscarriage, feeling down.

Any advise from anyone?

Hello, my reccommendation is rest, recover and do not worry. Go to see another doctor if your brain tell you that you are no longer confident with your current doctor. It is prefectly ok to change or stick to your current doctor.

Stay positive, adopt a healthy and active life style and that apply to your partner too. i want to believe with you that you will soon have a new additional in your family. Jia you

Thanks aaa111, on mc now, and recovering. Now waiting for the 6 weeks to plan the next step.

Yup, glad to know that you are on MC. Remember the next time you go see the gynac, do ask him to reccommend roughly when your hubby & yourself can start the making baby process. There is really no need to rush, what is most important now is for your body to fully recover first, all else are either secondary or irrelevant.

Back