Can Pregnant drink RIBENA?

Can lah, but dun drink it cold, if you are afraid. Plain water is just too.. yucks!

In fact, my gynae allowed me to drink anything thr out my pregnancy. He said everything in moderate.

Yah, can drink ribena. I drank it everyday during my first trimester, cuz i could not stand the taste of plain water. the ribena bottle states that it is safe for expectant women.

safe as in those packet drink one or those bottle you mix urself one??? What's the benefit of drinking ribena?

the bottle type which u have to mix yourself has the statement 'safe for expectant women' on the label.

Hi meixue, ribena should be safe for pregnant women. eat and drink in moderation. but do try to avoid canned soft drinks as it contains too much sugar. also try not to take chin chow and coconut water.

Okay! Thank You Gals....

do you all know what is sleeping on ur left side will help to increase (water or something)
What's that? Any idea?

Hi you can refer to babycenter.com
http://www.babycenter.com/expert/pregnancy/pregnancysleep/7608.html

What's the best sleep position during pregnancy?

Answer: Although there's no real harm in sleeping on your right side, lying on your left side is actually good for you and your baby: It improves the flow of blood and nutrients to the placenta and it helps your kidneys efficiently eliminate waste products and fluids from your body. That, in turn, reduces swelling in your ankles, feet, and hands. If you train yourself to sleep on your left side early on, you'll have an easier time falling asleep when your belly is bulging later.

During the second half of pregnancy, avoid sleeping on your back, a position that puts the full weight of your uterus on your spine, back muscles, intestines, and the inferior vena cava (the vein that transports blood from your lower body to the heart). Back-sleeping can also put you at risk for backaches and hemorrhoids, inefficient digestion, and impaired breathing and circulation. Lying on your back in the second and third trimester can also cause changes in blood pressure. For some women, it can cause a drop in blood pressure that can make them feel dizzy; for others, it can cause an unwanted increase in blood pressure.

I drink Ribena Light 2 - 3X a week throughout my pregnancy. It's not as sweet as the original version.

Hahaha... drink ribena is okay.. but I think just ocassionally is fine.

Dr Shichida said in his book that taking too much sweet stuff will cause your baby to have alot of phelgm when he is born...

So I regret giving in to my sweet tooth a little too much.. hahaha ;)

I drink everything Ribena, coffeee, tea coke, water etc... execept liquor during my two pregnancies. Agree with some mums to do it in moderation though.

i drink ribena , crysenthemum tea and even coke . i know it isnt good to drink gas drinks and coke is worse as it contains caffaine , but i jus cant help myself ...
sad.gif

hihi ladies.. ribena and honey can drink in the 1st trimester?? just found out of the good news so now wondering what to drink as plain water make me vomit... and tea and coffee out of question...

howblur,

i take all sorts of drinks thru out my pregnancy. In fact, for this pregnancy, i got cravings for coke and kept drinking coke..a whole can to myself abt 3 times a week. During pre-pregnancy times, i cant even finish a can of coke. I also take coffee and tea throughout my pregnancy but i restrict to max 2 cup a day. Btw, my daughter coming to 7 weeks old now.

wow celia.. you didnt avoid these that gynae said we suppose to avoid ar... brave man...

btw.. you continuing drinking all these even tho you in 1st trimester and when you just found out you preggy?? my hubby said if i really want coffee.. must wait till 3 months later.. then can take a bit.. now totally cannot as what the gynae advices...

<font color="0000ff">howblur</font>,

no la, gynae didnt ask me to avoid. He just say take in moderation. I continued drinking all these even in 1st trimester and throughout my pregnancy. Towards the last trimester, I was even taking a can of either coke or ice lemon tea after dinner. No joke abt it. My hubby even commented I was drinking like nobody biz. I sometime check with my gynae abt some stuff discussed in this forum whereby some gynaes advised MTB to avoid. He'll tell me the rational and said do in moderation. Gynaes are afraid that MTB wld develop gestation diabetes which is common during pregnancy. I was lucky that my glocose was always normal when I go for check up even though I am consider taking alot of sugar-ed drinks. For coffee/tea, I usually take coffee-C or tea-c kosong
happy.gif

my gynae said most imptly, MTB must be happy so baby wld be happy.

btw.. just wanna some opinion...

as i cant swallow plain water.. my hubby make me a bottle of honey (room temperature) everyday to bring to office to drink for the whole day... maybe around 500ml.... is this healthy?? cos the honey is left on my table (in bottle of cos) but then is like this bottle of drink was made in the morning you know.. now drink once made... safe for bb in tummy? healthy? ok to do this way?? what about ribena..

I survived on cold ribena throughout my 3 pregnancies... no problems I think. But then again, even if got, I also wouldn't associate it with drinking ribena lah.

however, i'm not sure about too much honey though. Don't know whether it might make baby more susceptible to allergies if you take like alot alot of it... since you say wah, 500ml everyday... like alot like that.

but be careful about taking too much sugared drinks also lah... because scared develop gestational diabetes... so be careful lah.

I drink packet Ribena when I am pregnant. Will mix it with plain water so that it is not too sweet. Cos I simply can't swallow plain water during the first trimester. Had survived with Ribena and was suggested by my gynae to drink that. Or another suggestion is to drink room temp 100plus.

oh okie.. so if is 500ml ribena daily throughout working hrs is ok lar.. will not be unhealthy rite?? since made in the morning and then last till evening... scare not healthy lar...

hmm.. actually i read somewhere in the internet that too much Vit C also no good leh... but didnt say why lo...

howblur

I went thru the same thing as you...couldn't STAND water at all. The sight and smell already made me feel like puking, dun even talk abt drinking it :p I wld drink ribena (but heavily diluted...din want too much sugar in my diet) or spike my water with fruit juices (grape juice, apple juice etc - those w/o added sugar). It helped..and thankfully, the phase passed by in a few wks and I cld go back to drinking water again w/o no problems.

dunno but even for any adult or children, too much vit A or C also cannot which is why they always advised to follow the instruction on the label

Yes, too much Vit A is actually bad for a developing foetus. All things, whether good or bad, must be taken in moderation. Don't exceed the daily recommended allowance quantities stipulated.

btw... though what i read is too much Vit C no good.. but one of my experienced friend said actually surplus Vit C will be passed out as urine wor.. so no harm taking more.. which got a point cos body dun keep surplus Vit C... SO WHICH TO BELIEVE???

<font color="0000ff">I've extracted the following about Unsupported claims about Vit C from the book entitled "Feed Your Child Right":</font>

The public has been exposed to a lot of publicity about the so-called benefits which may be derived from taking large doses of Vit C. It is popularly reputed to prevent the common cold, and many people take Vit C tablets in doses up to 100 times the recommended levels in the hope of fighting off colds and influenza.

These claims, however, are not warranted. There is no conclusive evidence that extra Vit C revents the onset of colds or shortens the duration of symptoms. In fact, taking high doses of Vit C over the long term has some deleterious effects on health. The higher the dose taken, the less Vit C is absorbed, and the unabsorbed Vit C passing through the digestive tract causes diarrhoea. Kidney and urinary tract stones are further risks related to high doses of Vit C. Large doses of the vitamin may also inactivate and destroy Vit B12 and interfere with the adsorption of Copper. On a more serious note, some studies have shown that large doses of Vit C taken in pregnancy may have adverse effects - harmful effects on the infant, who may get used to the high levels available to him in the womb and suffer Vit C deficiency (scurvy) temporarily after birth.

The conclusion from all of this is that Vit C should ideally be taken from dietary sources, and any self-medication with the vitamin is not advisable unless deemed necessary by a doctor.

<font color="0000ff">However, as well as protecting against anaemia by its assistance in iron absorption, Vit C is important in pregnancy as it promotes bone and ligament formation. Two portions of fresh fruit and two of vegetables daily will take care of the increased requirements during pregnancy.</font>

yee.. nobody reply on whether 1st tri can drink marigold 100% apple juice (no sugar added but still sweet)... no indication of UHT or processed on the packet... same as yeo's chrysanthenum drink...

i believe always drink the chrysanthenum drink also no good... but plain water sucks... any advice??

i drink all sorts of beverages during pregnancy. I had HL milk every night. Also took packet drinks most of the time after lunch.

howblur

Altho water sucks right now (as I'd posted earlier, I went thru the same phase you're going thru right now), don't resort to drinking juices and packet drinks. You'll be consuming too much sugar. You can dilute them heavily w water to mask the taste of plain water. I'm sure the Marigold apple juice is fine. I drank fruit juice thru out my pregnancy (orange juice mainly as orange juice contains folic acid and calcium). No pblm. Mom only told me to lay off carrot juice as too much Vit A can be bad..plus baby may turn yellow. But even then, I didn't drink often. I took more milk and soy products to build up on calcium.

celia.. what kind of packet drinks you took during preggie?? can share with me... eg. juice or what??

alhana.. surprising leh.. my grandma told me not to take orange... cos is cooling wor.. haha.. different household different rules.. heehee...

i took various types of packet drinks including carrot juice, sugar cane but maybe my body cld take it so gulcose level was always ok when go for urine test during checkup.

many worried about taking too much carrot as the older generation worried that it wld cause jaundice but its not true
http://www.doctorndtv.com/topicsh/Jaundice.asp

howblur

I only avoided pineapples, watermelon, del monte bananas (for some reason pple say not to eat them..but other types of bananas can eat) and durian. My TCM doc said pineapples are a strict no-no, and most oldies will say watermelons are too cooling. But as you enter the final stages, you can start to drink coconut juice. Altho cooling, it's supposed to help give ure baby a lovely complexion or something. I dunno..I just drank coz it's damn shiok :p And my daughter does have a lovely complexion..fair and smooth skin from birth till now. Actually you can't take too heaty stuff as well, ure body and baby prob wun be able to tahan. So it's good to have a balance.

Yeah, carrots dun give a baby jaundice, but if taken too much, it may lead to the baby's skin having a yellowish/orangey cast. Or that's what they say lah.

ya, i also didnt take pineapple and del monte bananas thru out all my pregnancies. I also didnt take green tea till final stage of pregnancy. Take coconut juice when u're at final lap, i.e final month...about once a week. Its supposed to clean up so when baby born, wont be so 'dirty' and not so red. A slice of fruits a day after meal is ok.

celia.. so you drink these kind of package drinks lar.. cos i understand from articles to look out for something like "processed" or "UHT" then preggie safe to drink... but i cannot cos too thirsty and scare also.. chrysanthenum is the only one i dare to drink.. and now trying the apple juice but keep thinking can or not... worry about drinking...

i keep thinking why other MTB dare to drink or eat this and that while i think so much.. scare bb not enough nutritions also since i control so much... so regret hearing so many stories from people around me... they say until like so serious.. must be piping hot lar.. must have smoke lar if not dunno when they cook lar.. etc.. i hear also scare.. and to protect bb of cos i have to follow.. but i really hope i have the courage to eat and drink like all of you leh... at the same time this is my 1st preggie.. hope to be more safe and smooth... so frustrating leh...

celia.. you know the fruits sold outside.. i also feel like eating leh.. but people around me say those fruits maybe cut since last nite or early morning.. few hours before lunch.. so if i eat after lunch is like not fresh.. and dunno got jia(1) liao(4) or not since is left in the fridge for customers to choose!!! if i were to buy a whole fruit eg. honey dew .. too big and hubby and me only... how can finish?? hubby said use those market sold plastic film and cover.. then next day can cut off the top portion and eat again lo... but we still scare leh.. haha.. 1st time going to be parents.. happy and scare

ya, i drink these packet drinks. My gynae never restrict my diet.

dun worri too much. Happy mummy = happy baby. Not only drinks but some MTB also dun eat stuff like crabs, rojak but I eat all, almost everything. If ur appetite is good, go ahead and eat. Some MTB kept losing weight so afraid that the baby wld be underweight so they eat durians almost every week which really helps to pound on calories for the baby...but if u're on the heavy side, then eat 2-3times of durians good enough.

u over worry liao. The fruits sold outside are ok, the bacteria is too small to do any harm to us or our baby. Just like some wld refrain from eating papaya cos High in Vit A but a slice a day is ok....u dun expect a MTB to eat the entire huge papaya right? U are welcome to view the huge papaya here http://4462.multiply.com/
kao_welcome2.gif

ya lor.. i agreed i over worried about those food and fruits sold outside.. cos we didnt see them in preparation mah... but i guessed is cos i hear too many stories and end up i got frighted that they may be harmful to my bb... kan cheong..

trying very hard not to think too much when having lunch.. just go to the stall and see clean then eat lo.. not hot or what nevermind.. think as long as i can swallow the food and keep it inside to digest for bb to eat then would be fine bah...

Back