Can I add a little rice cereal to formula milk for night feeding?

gelim

My BB drinks max. 120ml of formula milk at mid night and wakes up at 4.30am to have another 60ml, which means the 120ml is not enough for her, anyone knows if one can add some rice cereal to the milk to make it thicker. I heard some mothers add banana into the milk. Is it too late at mid night to give rice cereal to milk? Anyone has similar experience to share... thanks.

I mix the last feeding of the night with cereal but not the midnight feed =)

till now every feed (1 YO) i mixed 3/4 scope (the small scope) into her 180ml milk cuz she don't like the tasting of the milk....

still got 4 mths of formular, after finish not giving her milk le... cuz i see on the videos my friend send to me, the cow so poor thing..... then actually cow's milk calcuim n all those vitatmins will not be absorbed by humans actually and it's only tasty for own species..... it's the milk company that spends millions of dollars to make us believe that milk is good...

I don't know too... Just that since she on solid, calcuim can come from dark green leaves, soybean, tofu...

Hi,
Can i know how many mths is your baby? If less than a yr is quite norm for them to wake up in the mid nite asking for milk. But of course there are some babies already sleep thru the night.
My #1 still woke up for her midnite feed when she's 2 yrs old. (i shld said is a habit). But then we substitute her with water till she quit her midnite feed. Btw, we always add one spoon of cereal into her milk.
Then now #2 is 14mths, occassionally still wake up for mid nite feed, sometime no. But did not add any cereal coz she's taking her normal cereal during daytime.

Hi, thanks for sharing.

So its quite common to add cereal to milk. My gal is 7.5 mths old. For the past month, her last feed of the day is around midnight. When you talk about last feed, is it around 9pm? I feed her at 9pm too, then 3 hours later 12-12.30am, her last feed, then she will sleep 4-5 hrs till 5am.

So.. that's why I'm thinking how to keep her "full" from 12am till at least 5-6am.

Also, do you add rice cereal or other types of cereals? What brand? Thanks for sharing..

Hi, i add the moon rabbit cereal, not the ikan bilis flavour cuz mine hate fish!

since your gal on solid, i don't think she'll need to drink every 3 hrs at night le? Is her dinner not full enough? I think it's still common maybe 2 more months she won't wake up twice for feeding le. Maybe only once =) Now the tummy still small cannot eat too much at one go?

My last feed is around 10pm and she sleeps at 11pm wakes up at 10am. Sometimes 3 am she;ll wake up but not for milk and then will go back to sleep when i bring her to my bed and she'll sleep again.

Normally, many mums add cereal to milk so that both can sleep longer. Just to make sure that bb is above 6mths then can add cereal.

I have a fren that starts cereal when bb was abt 2mths old. I personally feel that it may not be adviseable but her bb is growing well too.

Hi ..thanks for the advice, I'll give it atry n see how goes...
happy.gif

Ai yo my gal rejects the milk with rice cereal? perhaps able to "feel" the roughness in her milk... any suggestions?

Hi grace

At 7.5 mths, I think it's natural for them to wake up 2 or 3 times at night until they are fully on solids, i.e. eating 3 meals of porridge with blended meats and veggies. My boy is now 17 mths and I remember sleeping straight from like 12mn-6am only after he was 12-13 mths. Again, every baby is different so you have to be patient with your baby too
happy.gif

Has your baby ever eaten rice cereal before? E.g. for breakfast or with pureed food? If they have not tasted it before then it's quite natural for them not to reject it initially.

You cannot put too much into the milk too otherwise it will cause the teat hole to choke and the milk cannot come out. I would put a maximum of one small spoon (the weaning baby spoon) into 120 ml of milk. I used Heinz rice cereal.

I am not sure what type of teats you are using, you might want to check that the milk can still flow when you've added the rice cereal.

Good luck!
happy.gif

Hi blue skies,
Thanks for the advise, I'll give it a try again... later when she is more ready...I'm using NUK teats... the large hole one...

Cross my fingers, it works the next time
happy.gif

mummies,

i am planning to start my bb on cereals soon. how do u know how much FM to mix with the cereal? theres no guidance on the box? can i start with Healthy Times brown rice cereal?

i started on nestle brown rice cereal when my girl is at least 3 mths old
so mix abt 2-3 scoops of brown rice with 120ml of milk
it helps to get her to sleep longer and not wake up due to hunger
;)

Back