any 35 and above trying for their first?

I think 2014 has its downs and emo rides for me and I really hope 2015 I will excel on what I plan to do (not ttc related). 2015 will be more of travel too plus my new house is coming! So I'm hoping it will be better than 14.

Moreover the latest incident on the plane crash and its latest news development are just so heavy hearted. Must cherish more what we are blessed with at the moment.
Agree redvel. Actually it puts into perspective that there much worse things in life than not getting pregnant. We are very blessed already.

Hi all, i am 35 this yr and had a roller coastal journey in ttc.. First year of marriage i got to have open surgery to remove a 10cm fibroid. Then tried for another year and the third yr of marriage finally got pregnant but it was ectopic pregnancy. Last year is the fourth year into the marriage and after visiting ban choon chan for one time, got pregnant again but this baby was not meant to be ours. Due to no AFI, the bb cannot grow well and have to d/c. Sigh... But i am still hopeful because this means that i am still fertile:) hopefully 2015 will be a good year for me and for everyone who are ttc!!

Hi Elia. I'm so sorry to hear of your ordeal. I truly hope 2015 is the year for you.

I don't know what is AFI so I just googled. Understand a little. May I ask how many weeks along that doc found that out? How long ago was that d&c done?

Hi Elia
Sorry to hear about your loss. You are right. Your body is still very fertile and I must say your Tcm treatments have been so effective that I am impressed. I am starting to lose faith on Tcm. Saw one for 6 months without results and switched to another popular sinseh. 2nd cycle this month and I have no confidence as usual.
Anyway let's continue fighting for our dream!!

Dear ladies, been a long while ever since I wrote here.

Wishing you ladies happie new year! Hope to have more positive news this great year ahead. I m having my menses now. Yeah painful. hope menses quickly over soon

I am 35 and I tried for one time. It was positive but I am having light cramps for a week since my missed menses. Havent seen any doc yet. Wonder if the cramps are normal?

Hi everyone, I am 36 this year. And since last year, I have decided to finally try to get pregnant after my husband and I decided to get pregnant only after being married for ten years. It didn't mean that we were on contraceptive but we just decided to actively try this year.

At my stage, I have gone for tests and other than being overweight I don't have any issues. My husband is tested to have low sperm count and slower sperms (however I think he was just tense when he collected the specimen).

I haven't been to any TCM specializing in fertilty but the TCM generalist I saw said that I need to lose weight. While I am trying to lose weight, I was adviced to just try. My gynae said the same thing - lose weight but also just try.

I read through the forum posts. What are the top three things I should try/do? I am really quite inconsistent so far...sigh. Sometimes we try but only during the fertility period. Some people say should try very frequently like once every two days. But I think that's very stressful for both of us.

Any comments?

There are many success stories that ladies have posted here; sharing their tips and tricks.

Unfortunately, I think my case is likely just not doing much of anything (my first bfp was a surprise, but I was seeing a sinseh and less than a month I had my bfp).

I think you may consider be taken care by TCM and of course exercising. Is your cycle regular? Neither are we keen to bd throughout the cycle. Can bd 3x a month is considered good for us already. So far I could quite catch the fertile phase since my cycle is quite regular. But just no luck. However we should be resuming TCM in a couple's months time.

Hi everyone, I am 36 this year. And since last year, I have decided to finally try to get pregnant after my husband and I decided to get pregnant only after being married for ten years. It didn't mean that we were on contraceptive but we just decided to actively try this year.

At my stage, I have gone for tests and other than being overweight I don't have any issues. My husband is tested to have low sperm count and slower sperms (however I think he was just tense when he collected the specimen).

I haven't been to any TCM specializing in fertilty but the TCM generalist I saw said that I need to lose weight. While I am trying to lose weight, I was adviced to just try. My gynae said the same thing - lose weight but also just try.

I read through the forum posts. What are the top three things I should try/do? I am really quite inconsistent so far...sigh. Sometimes we try but only during the fertility period. Some people say should try very frequently like once every two days. But I think that's very stressful for both of us.

Any comments?
My hb also has poor quality sperms maybe worse than yours. He's been taking supplements it does help a bit. Agree that exercise is very good. Try to do some slow jogging or yoga. U can use opk to pinpoint your fertile period. Bd every two days during that one week fertile period.

Hi Ladies..Been a silent reader of this thread..2015 will mark when i reach 35..though still mths away before i turn 35 i hope we will all get our BFPs in 2015...

Hi Ladies!
So glad I found this thread, even though I'm actually slightly younger than 35. We got married at the age of 28 and never even tried for a baby till 30. Then we started trying, but not very persistently. Now I'm 32, still no sight of pregnancy. I've gone for check-up in KKH (my mother in law works there as a nurse and she recommended I go there). My husband's sperm is ok. But I've got a polycystic ovary syndrome and maybe a blockage of one of the tubes (somehow the doctor was not sure about it). However, she told that I still can conceive naturally and suggested we try harder. Still no results. Then she prescribed clomid for one 3 cycles - still no results. Now I'm seriously considering IVF. It took me almost one year to get used to the idea of IVF, first I was so scared of it. Now I think it might be the only way for us to get a child. We will have first consultation in 2 weeks times, looking forward to it.

Hi Ladies!
So glad I found this thread, even though I'm actually slightly younger than 35. We got married at the age of 28 and never even tried for a baby till 30. Then we started trying, but not very persistently. Now I'm 32, still no sight of pregnancy. I've gone for check-up in KKH (my mother in law works there as a nurse and she recommended I go there). My husband's sperm is ok. But I've got a polycystic ovary syndrome and maybe a blockage of one of the tubes (somehow the doctor was not sure about it). However, she told that I still can conceive naturally and suggested we try harder. Still no results. Then she prescribed clomid for one 3 cycles - still no results. Now I'm seriously considering IVF. It took me almost one year to get used to the idea of IVF, first I was so scared of it. Now I think it might be the only way for us to get a child. We will have first consultation in 2 weeks times, looking forward to it.

Hi Lititia,

Is it confirm you've blocked tube? Did you do HSG to check? It's a little strange the doc in KK not sure whether is it a blockage. You didn't consider doing IUI?

Hi Darkrain75!
I did go for HSG, it was very painful for me, nearly cramped there. So the doctors were trying to finish this torture as soon as possible. When the results arrived, my gynae says that the paint went through one of the tubes, but only went halfway the second. It's either something is blocked there or the HSG was not done properly, maybe because doctors didn't want to cause more pain. However, I was told that it should not prevent me from getting pregnant, as second tube is ok, can function properly, only it will take twice longer for us. Plus, despite the polycystic ovaries my cycle is very stable, so there is a chance.

During the last appointment gynae asked if I want to go IUI or IVF. I choose IVF, as I believe it is more efficient. One of hubi's relatives had done multiple IUIs and none of them work, but she got pregnant with IVF from first cycle.

What about you? Sorry, I didn't have time to read the whole thread, only on page 5 now. :) Maybe I missed your story.

Hi Darkrain75!
I did go for HSG, it was very painful for me, nearly cramped there. So the doctors were trying to finish this torture as soon as possible. When the results arrived, my gynae says that the paint went through one of the tubes, but only went halfway the second. It's either something is blocked there or the HSG was not done properly, maybe because doctors didn't want to cause more pain. However, I was told that it should not prevent me from getting pregnant, as second tube is ok, can function properly, only it will take twice longer for us. Plus, despite the polycystic ovaries my cycle is very stable, so there is a chance.

During the last appointment gynae asked if I want to go IUI or IVF. I choose IVF, as I believe it is more efficient. One of hubi's relatives had done multiple IUIs and none of them work, but she got pregnant with IVF from first cycle.

What about you? Sorry, I didn't have time to read the whole thread, only on page 5 now. :) Maybe I missed your story.
Ur case same as me. I also got one side suspected block... the dr will nv say confirm block one cuz possible tube spasm or what also can appear block. But if u do ivf then it doesn't affect ur success rate

Hi Darkrain75!

I did HSG and realise properly 1 side is blocked, so I did a lap operation to fix it. You didn't take any painkillers before going for the test? I did IUI last June, but it wasn't successful. My sis in law classmate did 4 times before finally get pregnant.

Hi Darkrain75!

in my opinion. ivf is definitely more effective but u may not strike on first try.. IUI I feel its a waste of time n money unless the sperm is v powerful. If sperm also hv some issue, better go for ivf. If both blocked tubes also IVF then.

in my opinion. ivf is definitely more effective but u may not strike on first try.. IUI I feel its a waste of time n money unless the sperm is v powerful. If sperm also hv some issue, better go for ivf. If both blocked tubes also IVF then.

yes, I agree. Initially I thought maybe I'm lucky enuff to strike after 1st try of IUI and I definitely don't have such luck. Currently am going TCM, I'm still wondering if want to give another shot of IUI or just go for IVF direct. I'm not quite sure about the procedures for IVF, but thinking of getting injections everyday....

darkrain75, sorry to hear that IUI didn't work for you (I managed to find the beginning of your story in the first few pages). But don't be discouraged, as IUI often does not work. So, if it didn't work for you, it doesn't mean that you have no chance. Positive mindset, healthy lifestyle is the key. and if it doesn't help can try IVF.

I also was very reluctant about any chemical intrusion to my body, I'm so scared of all those hormonal medicines... Especially since my gynae says that I can become easily bloated due to multiple eggs. And easily to get twins or triplets. That also scares me, not sure if I can handle two babies at the same time. So many fears... So I was against IVF first and hoping for natural pregnancy, but as time goes by, I'm not getting younger and I want to have more than one kid... So, finally I decided to make my mind and go for it. Especially, since I have a positive example among my hubbie's relatives. His untie has actually got two IVF babies. One from first IVF cycle, another using frozen embryos from the same cycle. And the third child was conceived naturally. She advised me to go for it and not to be scared.

I didn't take any painkillers before HSG. Doctors told me it will be only "a little big unpleasant", but it hurt like hell. And almost a week after it my belly was still aching. Maybe I have some allergy for the paint they use. :)

chloe_ng, hi, it's good to know you'r not alone. I was surprised that the gunae was not going to take any action about that tube, I thought maybe need to go for surgery. But she says no need, can use another tube.

mrs_tann, I also feel that IUI is almost useless. Isn't it the same that we do every time when we are trying for the bb??? :)))) why pay money for it?

darkrain75, sorry to hear that IUI didn't work for you (I managed to find the beginning of your story in the first few pages). But don't be discouraged, as IUI often does not work. So, if it didn't work for you, it doesn't mean that you have no chance. Positive mindset, healthy lifestyle is the key. and if it doesn't help can try IVF.

I also was very reluctant about any chemical intrusion to my body, I'm so scared of all those hormonal medicines... Especially since my gynae says that I can become easily bloated due to multiple eggs. And easily to get twins or triplets. That also scares me, not sure if I can handle two babies at the same time. So many fears... So I was against IVF first and hoping for natural pregnancy, but as time goes by, I'm not getting younger and I want to have more than one kid... So, finally I decided to make my mind and go for it. Especially, since I have a positive example among my hubbie's relatives. His untie has actually got two IVF babies. One from first IVF cycle, another using frozen embryos from the same cycle. And the third child was conceived naturally. She advised me to go for it and not to be scared.

I didn't take any painkillers before HSG. Doctors told me it will be only "a little big unpleasant", but it hurt like hell. And almost a week after it my belly was still aching. Maybe I have some allergy for the paint they use. :)

chloe_ng, hi, it's good to know you'r not alone. I was surprised that the gunae was not going to take any action about that tube, I thought maybe need to go for surgery. But she says no need, can use another tube.

mrs_tann, I also feel that IUI is almost useless. Isn't it the same that we do every time when we are trying for the bb??? :)))) why pay money for it?
Yes i was also surprise the gynae nv said to take any action on my tube. So it make me less worried abt it... anw I found out I seldom ovulate on that blocked side anw. Maybe my body somehow knows haha.

Hi ladies, hope everyone is well...

Finally, went for the IVF session and now waiting for that time to come.. In FEB! But first of all, need to find the right time to talk to my boss... Worst to the worst might end up quitting my job, since I do not have much time left. Of course this is not something I'm looking forward but think I need to set my priority. After all, happiness lies in my hand.

Anyone in Feb? After a good break from TTC and other stuff... Is high time to pull myself back, focus and start everything again.

IUI is to help yr sperm travel a shorter distance.. then they are on their own to meet yr eggs... if they dont meet or meet already but cannot penetrate thru the egg also cannot get bfp. So if the sperm is v lousy better dont waste time on IUI. The silly sperm still swim backwards instead of forward leh..

IVF is sure can penetrate cos the embroyologist will do it for u - make the sperm go into the egg and once fertilised, they will put into yr womb. of course then we got to wait for the embryo will stick to our womb and continue to grow. At least we are so much closer to the final step now. We just need someone to help us in thia.

Anyway govt hospital got grant and can use CPF medisave mah. Please do so asap if u are over 35 cos the grant stops when u are 40. Injections are nothing lah. U will be immune...Im sure this can be overcome.

Finally, went for the IVF session and now waiting for that time to come.. In FEB! But first of all, need to find the right time to talk to my boss... Worst to the worst might end up quitting my job, since I do not have much time left. Of course this is not something I'm looking forward but think I need to set my priority. After all, happiness lies in my hand.

Anyone in Feb? After a good break from TTC and other stuff... Is high time to pull myself back, focus and start everything again.

I might go for IVF in March, if everything is ok and confirmed after the consultation in 2 weeks time.
Do you need to take frequent leaves because of IVF? I'm also worried about how it will effect my job. Babies are expensive nowadays, cannot afford to loose job.
Did you also go for blood test after IVF session? Any other tests?

Feb is cny... why u choose to do in feb? Most pple avoid feb due to the public hols

Feb is fine too la. I'm sure chubby is ok with feb? And just make sure the ivf timing doesn't clash with the centre closure. I don't think much about cny. Not my fav kind of festivity.

Feb is fine too la. I'm sure chubby is ok with feb? And just make sure the ivf timing doesn't clash with the centre closure. I don't think much about cny. Not my fav kind of festivity.

Redvel, wow u share the same thought as me ya. Which is your fav. festive leh? How everything at your side?

Feb is cny... why u choose to do in feb? Most pple avoid feb due to the public hols

Chloe, thanks for pointing out and concern. Personally, as I'm running against time, to me, there is no time is either good or bad. As long as I can seize every opportunity given, I'm happy liao. :) Who know in the end, my IVF might be postponed to March due to my menses come at wrong timing, ie. crashing with Centre closure during CNY :p

How are you? For your #2? If I'm not wrong?

I might go for IVF in March, if everything is ok and confirmed after the consultation in 2 weeks time.
Do you need to take frequent leaves because of IVF? I'm also worried about how it will effect my job. Babies are expensive nowadays, cannot afford to loose job.

Hi Lititia, based on my previous experience with SO-IUI.. During those time, I practically have to go back every morning for a week for my follicles and lining monitoring. Just to be safe side, I prepared the same for my upcoming IVF which I will speak to my boss on the aga aga situation.

Unfortunately, everything in Singapore is bloody expensive. However, I can't really be bothered much about this as my age is catching up. Jobs can find again but once time is gone, it cannot be reset.

On the day of IVF session, you have to do blood tests for H&W and You can prepared a list of Q&A if you have any.

You will be under which doctor and which protocols you will be in?

Redvel, wow u share the same thought as me ya. Which is your fav. festive leh? How everything at your side?

I love Xmas. And I like hariraya and deepavali more than cny :p

After ivf failed attempts, we are just taking things natural. But seeing TCM in March.

Yes, need to take frequent leave... I guess no choice abt it. U see which is more important... baby or job.... which can wait which cannot wait...

Usually first cycle the scanning and monitoring is more intensive. By second or third cycle they kind of know how your body will respond unless there is a change in dosage or medication, else my experience is the monitoring gets lesser and lesser so no need to take so much leave. But of course hope we strike at first try rather than a few tries.

Hey chubby! I am the same as you. Should be doing in February though I haven't seen my gynae but will be seeing her in January. Let's jiayou together!!

Chloe, thanks for pointing out and concern. Personally, as I'm running against time, to me, there is no time is either good or bad. As long as I can seize every opportunity given, I'm happy liao. :) Who know in the end, my IVF might be postponed to March due to my menses come at wrong timing, ie. crashing with Centre closure during CNY :p

How are you? For your #2? If I'm not wrong?
Sorry for not putting across well. I actually meant more abt the centre closure rather than abt the festive issue. But yes good to seize every opportunity.

I'm trying #2 yup... maybe will try ivf in May if I don't get by then.

Hi Lititia, based on my previous experience with SO-IUI.. During those time, I practically have to go back every morning for a week for my follicles and lining monitoring. Just to be safe side, I prepared the same for my upcoming IVF which I will speak to my boss on the aga aga situation.

Unfortunately, everything in Singapore is bloody expensive. However, I can't really be bothered much about this as my age is catching up. Jobs can find again but once time is gone, it cannot be reset.

On the day of IVF session, you have to do blood tests for H&W and You can prepared a list of Q&A if you have any.

You will be under which doctor and which protocols you will be in?

Hi Chubby1314, thanks for information. Do you mind if I ask more questions? :) How long is an average morning session for follicles etc monitoring? Do you think can finish before 12 noon? If like that, can take leave only half day, can negotiate with boss.
You are right, must set your priorities and if the work is on the way to baby, then must decide which of these two are more important and urgent. For me, my current job is "unfortunately" very convenient - location-wise, and working hours. So I do not want to resign yet. Maybe later, if I cannot cope with babies after delivery.

I don't know what doctor I'm under and no idea about the protocol. I guess I will know it after the consultation? For now I only got referral from my gynae to IVF, then got a call from them and they scheduled consultation and blood test for Jan 20. No more information for now.

Yes, need to take frequent leave... I guess no choice abt it. U see which is more important... baby or job.... which can wait which cannot wait...

Usually first cycle the scanning and monitoring is more intensive. By second or third cycle they kind of know how your body will respond unless there is a change in dosage or medication, else my experience is the monitoring gets lesser and lesser so no need to take so much leave. But of course hope we strike at first try rather than a few tries.

Hi mrs_tann, agree, must set your priorities. Unfortunately one of my in-laws have some serious health problem and it has cost us a lot expenses (and will continue maybe for a year or so), so cannot afford to resign, especially now. Will try to negotiate with my boss, normally he is quite understanding.

One more question, ladies, - does any of those who goes for IVF really consider twins? I've heard it's easy to get. Is it possible to plan them for sure or twins may happen by accident? I'm both willing to have twins and scared at the same time. It can cause more complications, and plus, I'm quite a small size, not sure if I can deliver two equally well-developed babies... Worried, but I also think it would be great to have twins... Confused. What do you think?

Lititia,

How old are you may I know? Reason why I asked is IVF does have a statistic that the younger you’re, the success rate is higher, so as multiples.

And also those whom have gone through IVF, mostly will also share that IVF is not a guarantee. I have tried a couple of times but failed, but it is highly due to my old ripen age.

And most mummies don’t get twins even they implanted two embryos (my sis did get twins from ivf though). You see most still get singleton despite two embies. I transferred 3 embryos and nothing stick. IVF is a lot of science, and of course luck.

Whether your body can take multiples or not, it’s best you discuss with your doc. You can choose to transfer one embryo; but the success chance naturally dips compared to transferring two.

Just remember that God won’t give you more than what you can’t handle.

Hi, redvel, thanks for advise!

I'm 32 now.
Yeah, I know, IVF is not a confirmed way to get pregnant. I'm just trying to stay positive and brainwash myself to get pregnant from cycle one. :) If things go wrong, I'm gonna think of Plan B then. For now trying to set my mind to positive outcome.
Transferring just one embryo is too risky I guess... Three is a good chance that at least one will stick. Oh well, this part depends mostly on luck. Thanks anyway, I just wanted to know if it's common to get twins, because my in-laws all keep telling me - go, get twins, easy mah.... :))))

Do you mind saying how old you are? When I first visited gynae for checkup I was 30 or 31 (cant remember), she told "you are too young for IVF, go try harder". :)

I personally find those comments silly.. apparently these people have never gone through or know much abour IVF. Should show them this Singapore motherhood ivf thread. To get positive result from IVF is already a no guarantee, what more on multiples.

Me 32 + 10. So yes very ripe.

First IVF timer will be allowed max 2 embies transfer. You can only transfer more than 2 after one failed cycle AND must be a certain age (I can’t remember is it minimum 32 or 35).

Everyone has their own story on ttc challenge. If you’ve been ttcing for years, despite age, IVF is a good consideration, if you do not wish to wait too long. Your success rate is good but once you hit 35, the number doesn’t look so pretty anymore.

Redvel, agree it sounds silly. Maybe that think it's so easy because one of their relatives got IVF babies easily, but I think she was younger than me, not sure what age.
Didn't know about just two embryos for first timers. So many things to learn...

I wish you all the best in your ttc journey. Stay positive, think of age as just a number and remember that miracles do happen.

Back