Advice: How to increase breastmilk amount?

Hi Leng Leng,

thanks for your recommendation on Mdm Leha. I was just massaged by her today and she is really good.

Initially, I thought I have insufficient milk. However, after she massage, the flow comes. Really grateful to her.

Serenity (jamesther),
you are most welcome,
glad to be of help.
happy.gif

Hi Leng Leng and Cactus79, thank you for the advise. I will definitely press on. Being a mummy is not easy.

Currently Im faithfully pumping milk every 2 or 3 hours. But each time, total supply for both side is only 20ml. Thats really very low considering my baby has a bigger appetite. So I have to resort to formula.

Are there any mums out there who share the same experience with me?

Hi mummy143,

Do not be discouraged and pls continue to press on, if you are using a good breast pump, you should see your supply incrase as you go along even if your son do not latch..

My son do not latch since day 3 and ive been pumping since. Like you, i started with only 20-30ml per pump every 2/3hrly and i was very disheartened but one mummy encouraged me to give whatever i have and i pressed on. Guess what, my supply incrased gradually from 200ml per day to current 800plus per day.. By any standard it is still quite low but im happy already..

i see a noticeable increase in bm from week 8 onwards.. just fyi.

initially 80% of my son's feed is FM but now i am glad to say that 80% of it is bm.. hehehe.. so pls continue your good work, press on and just keep pumping/latching.

Hi Mummy143,

I am also experiencing the same as you. Baby's appetite is getting bigger than the rate that my milk can be produced.

What I am currently doing is I let BB latch on each time he demands, about 2 hours interval and 15-20 mins per side. If he is still not enough, I will then supplement with formula.

I tried to pump after each feed but it takes at least 15mins of pump (dual pump) to get about 40ml for both side. By the time I finished pumping, it is almost time for another feed. So my breast is empty and not enough for the next feed (according to my confinement lady's theory). Hence, she advises me to stop pumping and save the time and energy to rest well for the milk to flow and feed baby directly instead.

Can anyone advise if I should pump after each feed? If so, I probably have to supplement with FM for each feed which I am trying to minimise.

Hello Munchies and Serenity,

Thank you for your encouragement. It really means alot to me to hear from mummies going through the same thing as me. I thought I was alone. Most of my friends Breast feeding experience were successful unlike mine.

Munchies, May i know what is your daily routine like (during the 80% FM and after 80% BM? Do you feed him on demand or wake ur baby up in the day time. The thing is when I feed my boy formula, he is so full and satisfied that he sleeps for 4 hours to 5 hours. If i attempt to wake him up during the day time to latch on, he sleeps instead. So I can only pump out my BM. No chance to latch.

Serenity, you shouldnt give up. There were alot of ppl around me discouraging me to just give formula but i choose to continue. If you dun pump, why dun you just empty your breast by hand expressing. I find it abit faster.

Hi mummy143,

1st month
My routine during the 1st month, pump every two hours (w/o fail) and my output for the 1st 15days is between 380 to 550ml. By the end of the 1st monh, im able to pump only 700ml..

2nd mth
i dropped pump shortly after the cf lady left from 8-6pumps a day and my supply managed to increas from 700-800ml by the end of the 2nd month (1/2hr every pump).

3rd month onwards
Dropped pump to 4x a day coz i went back to work.. Average daily supply maintained at 820-900ml.. but i do noticed that im spending longer time to pump to get the same amount of milk.. during week days, i will spend the whole lunch hour to pump before grabbing my lunch (i have very nice colleagues who tabao for me).

i fed my son on demand coz he doesnt latch =P
Discipline is the key word here, if your son dont latch, you must pump out the milk (especially during the 1st two months) otherwise your milk supply will drop as in my colleague case.

Okay.. hope my experience helps you

hi to mummies who have just given birth and struggling with bf and if you need some encouragement from a low supply mummy.. hehehe, feel free to PM me..

Hi Munchies,
Wah. So detailed ;) Thanks for the precise information. I will faithfully continue pumping. Im starting to see a slight increase of BM supply. Finally seeing abit more light.

Btw, so throughout the entire process, your baby doesnt latch on at all isit? He is bottle fed all the time?

Hi mummy123,

hehe.. yupz, my boss always complained that i too detailed and rigid..=\

Yupz, my son kissed my breast goodbye upon introduction of teat on the 3rd day during my confinement and ive pumping since.. Pls note that a good electrical dual pump is very crucial especially if your supply is not on the high end. I've a colleague who can easily pump 1.5litre every day (3x a day) and she is using Pigeon manual pump!! Cant stand, some ppl just has all the flow, hehe

Happy pumping, and just keep pumping... supply will go up..

Oh, btw, i've tested Nelle's recommnedation of bull frog and somehow my supply also increased after every intake of bull frog for dinner.. not by 30% but maybe 15% but horh.. bullfrog very expensive if eat on a daily basis haha.

Hi munchies, u mention that u manage to pump 800ml per day ..
Meaning within 24 hours 800ml?
My Boy is now 3 weeks old..
Few days ago my supply was higher (Each time can pump 160-200ml). but suddenly drop to 100ml each pump..
M soo afraid that supply will go dry suddenly..
any advice?

BTW, i use milk bag to store milk and freeze it..
But when i defrost it, heat it up, it tasted different from other milk that was in the chiller.
Is it spoiled ? It dooesnt taste sour imo..
Advice pls..

Hi Lim,

Yupz, 800ml+ per day. Quite on the low side.
At 3weeks, your supply is still quite unstable so must pump regularly.. for me, my supply stabilised after the 8/9weeks.
Just drinks enough water/fluid, eat enough i guess.. for me, eating gardenia multi grain bread and oats helps, sushimi and bullfrog also works for me..
i suppose if you pump and latch regularly, your milk supply wont dry up suddenly unless you have an underlying medical condition??

yah.. i noticed that my son prefer to drink milk from the chiller than from the freezer.

Good to hear that bullfrog did some good there! 15 % is a nice number!

For me, the best timings to eat my frog to see optimum results wld be at least four hours before pump. I pump twice a day, so for instance, yesterday, I ate at 6pm, pumped at 10pm, I had an increase of 35% on my right, and more than 40% on my right. I had 2 frogs from the Balestier stall (our stats show that for some strange reason, his frogs not only taste better and super succulent but also seriously ups my supply). Otherwise, eating after pump as supper is a very very good idea. When I feel hunger pangs and I dont get to eat anything, the next thing I know is that supply dips the next pump.

So Kong Po Tin Gai lovers out there, let's tuck in!

Hi Linping, for me, there are a number of reasons that supply can dip. Fluid intake, hormones, nutrition, weight loss, lack of rest, stress, etc. The method of elimination usually serves well to find out what the cause is. So make sure you are eating enough and correctly, drinking enough (ms tan's 3 litres theorem), sufficient stimulation, no clogged ducts, etc. (earlier threads wld be very informative).

Actually, I just managed to recover my milk supply yesterday night. My first kiddo's supply was tip top for 2 plus years, but for this baby, somehow, things were not so raging after the 6 wk mark, esp after alot of stress my new dopey maid gave me. She kept lying, doing wrong things, just killed my pet fish, etc. Stress can be a huge dampener on BM supply. Tears too.

On Fri morning, my supply plunged by 40% and continued on a downward spiral. The descent was so swift that I knew I wld be out of business within the week. Immediately, I domped. Last resort, but I had to. The plunge was so sudden and serious that I took two by two for the weekend (thanks to the dopey touristy coveting maid). Also frogged (haha, what a term!). And then, the maid gave me food poisoning last night and I was puking and puking. Thank God, my two pumps today were all right.

I hope things stabilize.

Yes, frogs can cost. 8 per frog usually at stalls. Some place sell 16 for three frogs. Other options are to buy fr supermkts like sheng shiong, ntuc and cook. Or ordering from frog farms. They do delivery to ur doorstep, or you can make it an excursion for the family. Good to work in other nearby farms into itinery, after driving all the way there.

Hi Munchies,
I just realise that my boy is can latch on well but he suckles for comfort. Somehow after I let him suckle for 1 hour already, my breast doesnt feel that soft.

Is there anything I can do to really latch on and take in milk?

Now Im still faithfully pumping out milk. Btw, munchies.. what pump are you using. I use Medela Pump in style but think that its not as good. Doesnt empty the breast fully.

Hi mummy143,

I cant advice you where latching is concerned coz i failed in that as well =\

You can visit a lactation consultant who can help you?

im using Medela pump in style as well..i think the best equipment is still your baby and it's true that medela is not able to remove the milk fully coz each time i still need to hand express after the pump... but if you compare to other brand, i believe this is the only few that can help to maintain supply for long period of time, at least for me, coz i have a few colleagues in ofc who gave birth around the same period as me and what i know is that their supply kept dropping while im thankful that mine is still okay (+/-).. Another brand is Ameda which you can try?? my friends said not bad but then subjective lah coz our breast size all different.. hehehe =P

Hi mummies,

I was reading all the messages posted in this thread and would like to share my experience in breastfeeding too.

Currently i pump full time, 4-5 times a day, using the Medela-Pump-In-Style. My baby girl is 13 months oldi, and still on full breastmilk.

The trick of getting good supply of BM for at least 6 mths, is to be diligent and discipline, pump/latch regularly. For the 1st 3mths, regular pumping/latch will ensure good milk flow subsequently.

For the 1st 6 mths, i was producing about 1.8lit every day, but of coz, when i go back to work, with all the deadlines and meetings, i missed pumps and/or couldnt pump as long, my supply dropped.

Another reason that supply will drop will be when menses go back to normal. My first menses came at the 10th mth, since then, supply dropped quite a bit. Asked one of my fren, she said hormones are going back to normal, and oso preparing the body to be fertile and productive again, so supply might oso drop.

For mummies who was to go on full breastfeed, remember plenty of water/fluid/soup/juices, coz you can never get milk from an empty well.

All the best!

I just bought the DOMPERIDONE pills..
Tmr is the 4th week since i gave birth..
Now, each day (24hrs), i can pump out est. 730ml per day..
Is it consider normal or little?
Should i try the pills and see if helps in increasing the milk ?

hi

just wondering can we still breastfeed when we r having skin condition like rashes? currently i'm having tis red patches of rashes (like mosquite bite just tat it's bigger, mum says is "hong mok") whereby doc says is allergy but dunno is allergy 2 wat..tis is the first time i'm having such red patches over my body & is beri itchy...

although doc gave me medication which is safe 4 breastfeeding but wondering will my condition affect the babe?

hi leng leng

oh, how long it lasted 4 u? ...

really makes me so uncomfortable....beri itchy....& unsightful..hehehe..
happy.gif
....red patches here & there but then after a while it'll b gone, then the other place will hve it again...tink if ppl c mi, tot i hve some skin disease...hehehe

Maybe its not fong mo.. Maybe is Jiu mo..
I got it too.. but for very long time le..
abt 1 year plus le ba.. been on medication even when im pregnant..
maybe u can try avoiding alcohol and see if yr condition gets better =)

hi linping

tink now i aso dunno izzit really fong mo...but it really looks like it...red patches here & there...sometimes it's like mosquito bite size some is like the size of a coin....found in internet through the pics displayed tat is similar 2 mine case, tink mine is hives...

just dunno how long tis will last 4 mi, been 4 days le...

btw, wat kind of medication did the doc gave u? doc gave mi med 4 the itch & one more type tink is 4 the rash/allergy ba...he says meant 4 the swelling, tink really do helps a bit ba, cos after eating tat, the patches will b gone but then after a while, the other places will hve it again...*sigh* never ending...

oni on confinement, i had alcohol, since then i never had any le....

Thanks.

Hi SM, fong mo n jiu mo looks axactly the same..
U can ask the med, xyzal from the doctor.. if doesnt work, there is a stronger dose one.. Pink in colour.. But if u BF, pink one cannot eat.. will affect baby's skin.. XYZAL can..
Avoid sea food , alcohol for the time being..
Keep your body clean oso..
a few years ago, i got jiu mo due to drinking of alcohol.. Went away within a week..
But since last year july til now, i have been having fong mo.. dirty wind went into our body when the pores are open..have been on medication everyday since last year til im pregnant til i give birth....
BTW, just for your info.. My aunt got the fong mo for 2 years.. Haha.. My god rite..

hi linping

i checked internet tat xyzal is okie 4 pregnant lady but nt 4 nursing mum...

thur nite my rashes got worse, so doc gave mi some inflammation cream 2 apply, he says might b viral infection...but the med nt suitable 4 nursing mum...so just the cream 2 apply...& itch med 4 mi..the next day, all gone...but sadly dunno wat triggers it, tis morning, all came back, seems like even more...wat i dun like the itch med is tat it makes one drowsy...now nd 2 tend 2 kids, cannot b drowsy..so oni dare take it at nite, b4 sleep...

just now went 2 c another doc, he says is fong mo, the moment i sat down, he saw my arms, he mention tat 2 mi...he oni give mi cream, i showed him the cream & med the previous doc gave, he says these hve steriod content, actually nt tat suitable...but i find the cream the previous doc gave beri effective, at least the next day it all gone...

so now u aso had fong mo, u still nursing...& u took tis xyzal med har? it helps 2 cure the fong mo har...so since u on med, the fong mo never come back?

now i bath twice a day, one in the afternoon, the other at nite...

oh dear 2 yrs...but yrs izzit whole body, mine is, & is beri bad kind one, hand, legs, body, even breast aso hve...& big big patches...anyway 2 prevent it? cos of tis i lost my appetite as it makes mi beri uncomfortable...cos of the itch...

On the "drowsy medicine" the first doctor gave, was it Chlorphenamine (piriton)(small yellow tablets)? That is a very primitive drug for runny noses and itch. You're right. I would not take that when looking after kids. May affect judgement.

The first cream works better because of its steroidal content. It will immediately suppress the itch and inflammation but only on a superficial level.

I'm not knocking GPs, but really, some may not be as familiar as ObGyn with drug suitability for lactating moms. If you are in doubt and wondering if the medicines and creams are truly suitable for nursing moms, why not just do a quick check with your gynae or obstrician? Once cleared, you can apply with peace of mind.

Get well soon!

Hi SM, i still take my XYZAL even when i breastfeed..
My is very serious type..
Even my feet can have it..
Neck, arms,back, breast etc.. the whole body except my face(Thank god!)..
XYZAL solve my problem. initially i take twice a day.. then slowly recover abit, then take once a day..
Then it got better, then 1/2 tablet everynite..
Then now,1 month after giving birth, i take est. 1/2 tablet every 3-4 days..
For me, cream doesnt work..
My gynae say ok to take the med even when nursing..
No issue with that.. My GP oso say ok..
But u die die must avoid seafood and alcohol..
Cos 60% will make yr condition worse..
Actually to my understanding, nothing can cure fong mo.. U can only take the med to control it..
Fong mo will go off suddenly.. just like how it comes suddenly..
My case, i have it for 1 year 4 months le.. Still hoping that it will go away one day ..

Hi nelle/linping

thanks 4 yr advice & sharing...tis morning i woke up, all gone...*sigh*, dunno when it'll come back agin...

ya the doc gave mi two types of itch med, first one was the one u mentioned, then when i visit him again, he gave mi another med, atarax, yest i took 2, tis morning woke up at 8am, now still feel beri drowsy....tink i'll stick to 1 tablet...

how 2 check w yr gynae whereby u dun visit them often? call their nurses & check w them? tmr i'm visitng my gynae, do u tink she'll hve med 4 mi 4 tis fong mo..hehehe...

tink mine was cos of dust, cos the oni thing i've done whereby i never did was switch on my mum vacumm cleaner which was left there untouched for 2-3 yrs..the bag never changed, so my mum suspect it's tis tat leads mi 2 tis fong mo as the dust particles came out & stick 2 mi...cos it was 1am tat i use it, so went 2 bed straight away, oni next day in the evening then i bath...never tot the vacumm cleaner can b so harmful...

beri funny, the doc i visit yest say it'll never kill one lah...
happy.gif

hi linping

u mean everyday u'll hve patches all over yr body or it'll come like alternate days? or once a wk? 4 last wk, frm mon - thur it's been everyday i'll hve patches...oni till fri & sat i dun hve...then oni wee morning of sun then i hve it again...

ctrl it w med, but so far, it has never come back?

hi

i'm now nd 2 take a 5 day course of antibotics (cos of urinary tract infection) doc ask mi 2 stop breastfeeding for 5 days...

but i'm worried tat if i stopped for 5 days, then after tat my bb will nt wan 2 b latched on afterwards...will tat b the case? pls advise any mummies having such situation as well?

5 days of EBM will b wasted le...

Hi,

I m new to this thread n saw lots of mummy posting here commenting on having low supply, but it seems like to me that u all have much much better supply than me.

I can only pump about 30 - 45ml in every 3hrs, meaning 9hrs i can only get about 90 - 120ml.

And this is e result after taking motherlove goat's rue. I have tried fenugreek, mother's milk tea, seen don't know how many LC but resulted only feeling more n more demoralise cos they all commented e same " Baby is laching on well n no milk ducts, hence maybe u can top up w/ formula in order not to starve your bb, cos there are ppl who jus can't produce more milk"
sad.gif

I cried everytime after i went to see a LC cos i went to see them w/ hope that they can help me increase my supply, but their comments make me feel that i jus happen to be e unlucky one who can't produce enough milk for my bb.

I have no choice but to top up w/ formula. My bb is now already coming 14mths but i m still BF cos since i can't give him more BM, i'll have to BF for a longer duration (for as long as i can).

But may i ask if there is still a possibility for supply to increase after 14mths of delivery? Is it a very stupid question? Cos i really still hope that i can supply more for my bb.

sad.gif
sad.gif
sad.gif

Evelynn: I also still bf my 14 mth girl. My milk supply has also dropped tremously given my busy work schedule hence the inconsistent pump schedule. My bb PD has asked me to wean bb to formula as bb had lost a bit of weight. PD said that after 1 year, the nutrients level in bm will drop n become inconsistent, while the nutrients in fm is more consistent. I asked ard on my PD's comments, and what he said is true that bm nutrients will drop. Now I give my bb fm for a feed.

I personally think there's no need to get too depress over this as this will only bring more stress to u. Most importantly is that your bb is healthy.

Hi LengLeng n Jiayi,

Thk u very much for your advise.

Reason why i m still hoping that there is still a chance or possibility that my supply can increase is bcos my bb is rejecting FM. The most he took is 2 btls of 210ml each, n there are days that he didn't even take a single btl of FM. I m jus so worried that he wouldn't get enough nutrients for his growth n development.

And becos he refuse to take FM, i'll usually BF him b4 he goes to bed, but think bcos e BM is not enough to keep him full till morning, he waits up a lot of times in e middle of the nite for e feed. And bb at this stage should be able to sleep thru e nite already right? By waking up that many rounds, i m really worried that he is not getting enough sleep.

sad.gif
sad.gif
sad.gif

I saw e post saying taking bullfrog can help increase supply, but may i know if its ok for me to take if bb is having eczema n suspected to have peanut allergy (e hyperallergic type)?

Haiz, seems like my bb having a lot of problems
sad.gif
sad.gif
sad.gif

Hi Evelynn,

I think 210ml each of 2 bottles of FM is fine as long as bb is gaining weight. Recommended intake is 240ml per 2-3 feeds in a day. If u r worried about nutrients, you can give more of the other solid food, or u can give cereals, like frisocrem which also contain FM. Besides the night feedings, mine only take 1 feed of 240 ml FM, and another 240ml bm (not in 1 feed) in the day.

I nurse my 14 mth bb to sleep, she will refuse FM and not go to sleep if I don't bf. She still wakes up at least twice in the night to latch on. Think it's not really hunger, but the urge for comfort sucking, a bad habit that many bfed babies have. I am not too concern as long as bb falls immediately back to sleep after bfeeding. Each bb is different. I hv friends whose bb sleeps thru the night from 6 mths. I don't believe in making my bb cry it out to fall asleep, will let nature takes it course. Hope it will happen soon!

As for the allergy, better to check w ur bb's PD.

Hi Jiayi n Leng Leng,

Thk u so much for your advise n encouragement. I feel so much better now knowing that it might not be due to hunger that he kept waking up wanting to be feed.

Thks once again n may u all have a wonderful day
happy.gif

Hi Leng Leng,

Thk
happy.gif

When i expressed, e milk is only flowing in thru a few holes only. Will this affect e supply?

evelynn,
me also few holes lah,
how many you want? hehehe...

Don't worry, as long as you & baby are comfortable,
no pain on you, baby gaining weight, pee & poo well,
all's well.
happy.gif

hi, mummies,
I need help ~~~ I just gave birth 2 weeks ago, trying to pump out the milk but always get disappointed on low supply of milk, the most I can pump out is only 20ML!!!! what should I do to increase the MS?

Hi,

Do you latch? What is your pumping schedule like?

For newborn, you have to feed every two hours to stimulate milk production.. meaning to say you either pump or latch every two hours. from my own limited experience, 1st 3months is very important to ensure a steady supply of milk unless you are one of those who are naturally blessed with abundant milk.

a good dual pump is just as important

Jasmine: It's like this in the beginning, as not used to the pump yet. The pumped milk should gradually increase. Do agree with what Munchies said, so as to increase milk flow.

Munchies / Jiayi,
Thanks! I tried to latch my girl before that but always need to top up with FM. I'm trying to pump out 3 hourly but quite disappointed when saw my milk supply getting lesser and lesser. And I had stop for 2 days...

My CL oso told me that I won't have enough milk for my baby, no matter how I try...

FYI,
I ate fenugreek to increase milk supply and using Avent electronic breast pump. So if I wanna restart again, what should I do now?

Munchies,
Saw you tried Mdm Rokiah's service seems like quite good, I oso tot of using her service
happy.gif

Leng Leng,
I'm taking 610mg, ate about 4 - 5 caps yesterday to increase my milk supply. Only manage to pump out 20ML for both breasts this morning
sad.gif

kittylovers,
fenugreek may not be suitable for everyone,
some BFing mummies may not react to it,
but 4-5 caps is not enough.

Try taking 2 caps, 6 times a day for 2 days,
then 3 caps, 3 times a day from 3rd day onwards.

Pls rem to drink 3L of water/liquid a day,
most BFing mummies do not have enough intake of water.

In the meantime, rest, rest, rest,
when baby sleeps, you sleep too.
happy.gif

Back