Advice: How to increase breastmilk amount?

there you go... charts are the bane of a new mother's life esp those not meant for bf babies. cannot compare to formula fed... they can be easily more than 2 kg heavier.

i know of a bb girl who was born the same day as my boy but formula fed since birth. also about same birthweight. but she is easily now more than 2 kg heavier than my BOY! am i worried? NO!

well, my diet during the first six weeks was EXCEPTIONAL becos i had the confinement nanny's good cooking! as a matter of fact, i ate and ate but lost 4 kg from bf-ing. ate a lot of rice. that is very impt, to have caloric intake.

i still take fish/papaya soup every few days even tho my boy is 7 mos.it's good you take fish... it helps. try drinking lots of soup, fluids.

otherwise your diet sounds ok. not sure the quantity you take tho.

Loppily...care to share your bb birth date, current wt, ht and name here, I do the chart for you.

Snort...other than rice, what other things can i take it that is considered healthy calories intake? cos i've low intake of rice. But i drink like 5-6litres a day, i'm a water buffulo!!!! Prior pregnancy i only took half of this amt.

annissa, u don't like to take rice? how about noodle, pasta, breads, potato? any carbo group is good. 5 - 6 litres is a lot! but you can take fluid in other forms like soup. my nanny used to make fish/papaya, pork ribs with potato/carrot,etc i love soup!

Snort....In general, i don like carbon, when packeted food i'll ask for less carbon. Don waste.

Yes i drink a lot. I drink about 3-4cups of milk, 0-2cups soya milk, soup during dinner, sometimes for lunch too. I love fruits too.

it's ok if you have no problems with your milk ss.
happy.gif
otherwise you seem quite health-conscious which is good.

i don't drink milk becos i'm lactose intolerant and i think my bb is too.

Done lots of things and managed to maintain at around 120ml per session. My girl is 4mth now, drink 180ml per session, using those frozen BM to supplement the shortfall.

During bad day will drop to 90-100ml. Just used more of my frozen BM lor.

Thanks for sharing.

Lactose intolerant? your bb can drink your bm?

Need you to share here, cos my friend's bb (about 8-9mth) was lactose intolerant for a while and pd advised her to feed soya-based milk instead. Now ok liao.

120ml is pretty decent already. your bb drinks from a bottle? my boy doesn't drink 180ml, i don't think. he's finished with nursing in 5 min. wonder how much he takes??!!
happy.gif

when i say i THINK my bb is lactose intolerant, i mean that if i take milk or dairy products (even ice cream), curries, and some other foods, i notice he tends to be gassy or regurgitate more. poor thing. it comes thro the bm, you see.

your fren's bb... formula fed? then she'll have to ask the paed. but i thot formula milk, since it's not cow's milk, does not have lactose? i'm not sure. never gave my boy any other milk except mummy's yummy milk.

btw, how often are you pumping? you can pump more often if you want to increase amount. my cousin could pump 2 9oz bottles each session!!! only pumps 4x a day, ie every 6 hours.

at the height of my pumping, i could pump 7 to 8 oz per session (of cos sometimes lesser becos bb just nursed or time of day). i used to pump every 3 hours and was trying to increase to 4 hourly.

i had so much milk in the freezer i had to give away almost 80 bottles and bags of milk. and am still throwing away the excess.... sob.

now i only pump in the morning just for his cereal.

Thanks snort.
happy.gif
Um...maybe I am not taking enough rice cos' day time, I find it hard and troublesome to cook rice just for myself. As long as I have carbo, it is fine is it? So I can replace rice with biscuit or bread?

Today, I am cooking soup...hopefully, it will help to increase my supply. For your fish and papaya soup, do you use fish head or can I use other fish? 'Cos, I am afraid of cooking fish with heads.... :p

Snort...180ml/6oz my max, this comes once a VERY VERY blue moon.

I pumped 3times x 3 hrly in office, that is, 10am, 1pm and 4pm. I nurse 1 side at 6am, pump at 6.30 to empty, nurse both side at 7pm and 10pm.

My girl drinks from bottle in the day during my absence. I'll nurse her when i'm home. Still maintained at 6 feeds a day, cos i "made" her 1st feed at 6am, even on weekend.

Your cousin 2 x 9oz!!!!
kao_dizzy.gif
kao_dizzy.gif
kao_dizzy.gif
pump 2 times is enough for my girl whole day bottle feeds 3 x 180 = 540ml.

I am so envious of you guys. Till now, my MS is still very low. When will MS come in? My son is 28 days old.

Snort....over-whelmed by the 9oz and forget about my friend's bb!!!

She is feeding EBM, she herself drinks milk, tat is why pd advised to let him drink soya-based.

Missk.....patience. Take about 3-6weeks to establish milk supply. My girl late starter, only started to latch-on at end-week3, week4-7, very xiong lor, every 2hrly, sometime shorter.

annissa, 120ml ok lah. don't be greedy!! otherwise you might overlactate like me!! my bb would gag when i nurse him becos TOO MUCH MILK and he couldn't handle it!!! LOL... diff problems!

loppi, i normally use fish head becos the taste of the soup more FULL-BODIED!
happy.gif
if i just use fish bones, not so shiok. i also normally use angoli, that would be threadfin. half or 1/3 of a big papaya is enough. you can also use fish bone to cook other types of soup, not nec just papaya.

as for oats and barley, yes i've read it helps. not sure... i've been eating oatmeal almost every morning for the past 2 years, so i'm not sure if it has helped.

i also put ROLLED oats and barley into my rice when i cook. i find it gives the rice a nice crunch.
happy.gif
try it, esp if you're not keen on oats cos you can't really taste it in the rice.

go easy on the bread and biscuit tho... altho bread is carbo, it does contain yeast and sometimes it might (not nec will) cause yeast infection if you're sensitive to it. biscuit... well, i'm generally a health NUT and i try not to take too much biscuits and processed foods becos of the trans-fat.

missk, don't get kan cheong, it's coming!! it took me more than 1 month to establish a pump of up to 6 to 7 oz per session and let me tell you, it's HARD WORK - DAY AND NITE. i pumped day and nite. every 3 hours. for about 3 months. then i got tired of it becos i wasn't going back to work, so i stopped. again DD=SS. you want more, you pump and nurse. like a cow. you have to latch bb as often as poss, becos bb is efficient at drawing out the milk, unlike a pump. did i mention that sometimes it takes me 10 min to get a letdown with a pump whereas my boy does it in 10 sec???!!!
happy.gif
also, if you just pump, you might get engorgement more easily.

missk, when you say your ms still low, you are referring to your pumping, i presume? is your bb pee-ing and poo-ing well? if yes, then your ms IS NOT low. it's sufficient for bb.

the thing is we think ms is low becos we are pumping and counting oz. but bb is smart and takes what she NEEDS. we worry becos we hear formula fed bb drink up to 4 to 5 oz per feed (at 1 month?) and think that's what our bb needs. BUT formula fed bb drink every 4 to 5 hours and therefore take more per feed. whereas bf bb drink more often than that and may take less per feed. also rule of thumb, bb cannot take more than a fistful (bb's fist
happy.gif
) of food/milk per time.

again, i would say, don't worry about quantity, as long as bb's output is good... what IS your bb's output based on nappy changes?

annissa, abt ur fren... bb drinks bm? ur fren drinks milk? the bb may be reacting to the cow's milk ur fren is drinking. i don't think need to stop drinking bm but yr fren can try cutting out milk n see how bb is. but must give it a week to see...

hi snort

You always give good advice. I can onlu pump abt 100 ml for each session. I took fenugreek and massage and latch and pump. Still, I could only get that much. It's been a month. That's why I am getting a little impatient. But not to worry, I will not give up.

My bb needs abt 8 diapers per day. He poos abt 3-5 times per day. Rather substantial stool.

I also realise that he needs to be carried more these days. Also, he is sleeping less. Is that normal? How do you handle your bb? I really dun have patience to carry him all the time.

missk u can pump out 100ml each session, this is on top of latching ur baby rite?

still says little?

then i worst loh... sigh...

Hi snort,
Can share with me ur rice cum barley and rolled oats recipe. Bwt...which kind of barley? Those we drink when we feel too heaty? Will it be too cooling for bb?

MTDT, no lah .... I wish! If I latch on, I can manage 30ml, sometimes droplets only. At night, I givem y son expressed milk. So I have to express. In the night, on some good nights, I can manage 100ml. Perhaps after taking Fenugreek, it's becoming slightly better.

loppi, no secret formula lah... i just put ROLLED OATS (as opposed to the instant or quick cook Quaker oats) that you buy from supermarket. depending on how much rice you cook, you cannot add too much becos it makes your rice sticky. i tell you, i put all sorts of things into my rice!
happy.gif
at one time i put sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds too. or multi grain rice. usually now, it's brown/white rice mix w/ 1-1/2 tbsp oats. i've put barley (yes, those we use for making barley water) but not often.

when i was pg, i was told to boil barley with distilled water, no sugar and drink. i also give bb barley water, no sugar on and off. as with everything.... MODERATION. don't OD (overdose) on it!

missk, aiyoh YOU ARE DOING OK lah!!! wah, how much milk you want??? until you feel like a cow, produce enough for the whole nursery of newborns??!!!
happy.gif
after you latch, of cos not much lah! bb took everything what.
happy.gif
don't be so hard on yourself or you'll end up chasing after numbers. after one month, my ss was also thereabouts too. it takes time and plenty of latching/pumping. if you do the 3 hour thingy i mentioned, you'll have more but pls be prepared to feel like a cow becos even at nites, i wake up every 3 hrs. :p after a while, your bb starts to drink less and you'll have a problem with engorgement like i did.

as for pee and poo, YOU ARE DEFINITELY DOING OK since he poos and pees quite a bit. HE'S NORMAL. my 7 mo old still poos a few times a day, the biggest in the early morning! LOL. like i say, if you latch and pump, don't expect a whole load of milk. but if you're going back to work, eventually, you'll pump more per session when you're away becos that's when your bb WOULD have been nursing. so not to worry.

as for carrying... it's normal for bb to want to be cuddled and loved. that's their need and we do just that to give them security so they won't end up needy. I have heard cases (go to my thread on SLEEP : POLL ...) where parents talk about how some withheld carrying (to sleep) and the child ended up very clingy and needy in toddlerhood. it's been researched that bb who are securely attached as infants will be more independent and secure in toddlerhood and subsequent years.

however, if you want to get bb to sleep properly, try reading the THE NO-CRY SLEEP SOLUTION by Elizabeth Pantley RIGHT NOW to help you set a bedtime routine for bb. don't wait till 6 mos.

thanks snort for being so patient.
happy.gif

I am already trying to set a routine for him. Hasnt been really successful though. Shall give it more time.

Missk....u catching up liao, keep it up.

Snort...I've decided to stop chasing the numbers, cos in another 1mth, my girl will be 6mth and she'll need lesser bm then. Just supplement my current shortfall with earlier frozen BM. I pumped about 120ml per session, she drinks 180-200ml per feed!!! Managed to store 1pkt(about 320ml) a week and used up 2 pkt.

missk, i hope you don't misunderstand when i say routine, i don't mean a harsh one. but one that lets bb know day from nite, a bedtime routine can start NOW. eventually you'll want to show bb he can fall asleep on his own. are you reading any books?

annissa, good for you! question: how come your bb is drinking more than you're pumping? usu it's dd=ss. is she being given more EBM than she actually requires? the disparity is about 60ml per feed. that's a good 2 oz. just wondering...

loppi, have fun trying out!

Experienced mummies...please help!!

My baby is coming to 2 months old and I'm still producing a miserable average of 30ml every 3 hourly. I've tried the papaya soup, fenugreek, nettle, pig trotter, peanut soup, spinach, doesn't help!!
sad.gif
Is it possible at all that some people just can't produce sufficient milk?

My baby fret so much during the day at around 1 month old, the feeding could be as frequent as every half an hour. In the end I gave supplement of around 1-2 oz per feed. She put on about 500g in the first month with supplementary feed. Now it's almost like FM (around 3 oz) with supplementary BM (latch on). I'm not sure if I should still try the soup and other methods to try to increase MS. Very depressed...

Any advise?

Snort....i really don know???? Previously i was pumping 80-100ml, she was already drinking 120-140ml. Started to drink 180-200ml around 3-4mth, been like tat since then. I reckon if i were to give her more or latch her more frequently, she'll still continue drinking!!!!

Before i managed to latch her at week 3, she was already drinking 120ml. When i back at work around 3mth, she is still drinking 120ml, after 2 weeks, SUDDENLY, she increased to 180-200ml for a few days!!! I fixed it at 180ml since then. Intiately i thought is gorwth spurt, but she seem happy with 180ml.

As i've mentioned earlier, don know where ALL my bm goes?? She only managed to put on 1kg during the 1mth, thereafter is 0.5kg per mth.

Was told then pumping "extract" lesser milk, so i used earlier frozen BM to supplement the shortfall.

annissa, i figure from what you wrote that you have been giving her EBM from bottle since you could tell amount she takes. How come you only latch her on at week 3? what abt first 2 weeks? (sorry, did i miss out a part of your story?
sad.gif
) what were you giving her then? EBM or formula?

she may well have gone thro a growth spurt when she took 180ml but growth spurts last only a day or two, every 3 weeks or so for first 3 months.

how often do you nurse her? how about nite time when she wakes? how many times? well, you know... our stomachs are programmed to take what we push. if you gave me extra rice, for eg, i can eat even tho i may be full. over time, i'll eat more becos my stomach has adjusted to the expansion in capacity. that's why bf-ing is great becos bb controls amt she wants.

as to where your bm "went" to?! into her of cos! it may be your diet? pretty low fat? low cal? if that's the case, it might affect milk quality. i remember after my confinement nanny left, my bm also became thinner in constituency. whether it's imagined or otherwise, i don't know lah! how heavy is your girl now? how old?

zach's mum, i'm by no means experienced but glad to try and help. also do log on to www.laleche.org for online help or call the Breastfeeding support group in singapore. I'm sorry i don't have the number on hand. you can surf for it.

firstly, it might help to see a lactation consultant becos she might help to see if there is a latch problem. if bb fusses, it might be the problem.

there are some women (very small percentage) who actually do not have milk for some reason or other. i suspect you're not one of them. it really might be a latch problem and also the frequency. both of which are very correctable.

question: have you been bf-ing since day one?

your bb's milk feed should be from you first. try latching on often. does she still fuss if you latch her first BEFORE you give fm? if so, it could be a latch problem.

try and see a consultant ASAP to resolve whatever physical issues there might be and seek their advice. they can help you much more if they meet you.

ss is related to demand. if you latch on after fm, then it is likely bb isn't 'extracting' much. prob more comfort nursing. in which case, you won't expect your breasts to produce much milk. 3 oz of FM for a 2 mo old is quite a lot... doubt she can drink much from your breasts after that. if that's the case, then your breasts are simply producing what they think your bb is drinking.

what is your feeding/pumping routine like?

Snort.....my girl at birth is 3.545kg, at 4mth is 6kg. Going for her 5mth injection this sat.

Only latched her 2 times in hospital, cos she was in NICU from day 1-2 she held her breath when pd doing his morning round!!! sent to NICU for observation and monitoring only.

My milk "arrived" on end of day 3. My girl ALREADY used to bottle feeding. Been pumping and trying to latch from week 1 to week 2. Pump whatever i can then supplement with FM. I refused to admit defeat and am determine to breastfeed. Seek lactation consulatant's assistance on week 2 and week 3. Not sure if is she cannot tahan me nagging during every latching attempts or my milk supply has increased or what "Anya, pls help yourself and mummy, latch on milk is much faster and fresher, blah blah blah... she DECIDED to latch at end-week 3!!! Initiate 2-4weeks was latching every 1 to 2hrly. I unable to handle nite feed, my maid will do the nite feed of 2 times via bottle EBM + FM. From 3mth onwards, no more nite feed. Till now, still 3-3hrly feeding daily.

My diet is on the healthy side. Milk is consistent but much thicker compared to initially started.

Checked with pd on her low growth rate, pd said it's ok. According to him, she should be drink around 600-700ml per day.

Now I'm working, my girl is doing 3 bottle feeds and 3 latch-on. Bottle feed is already 540ml per day.

Do you think i should reduce her feeding amount?

snort ... ya I understand what you mean. I have been reading on sleep routine. Now, I switch off the light at abt 9pm. In the day, I try not to let him sleep too much. It affects his sleep in the night.

Snort

I do latch on first before giving FM. Usually the baby seem contented for a while (maybe 15 - 30 minutes) after fed on BM. Then will fuss for food again. So I latch on again. Soon after she'll fuss for food. Usually I'll try latch on, if the baby keep fussing, then I give FM. Heart pain when she seems hungry...
sad.gif

If I supplement with 3oz of FM after the latching on exercise, it'll last about 2.5-3 hrs.

ladies,
i heard tt taking alot of fish during pregnancy will ensure sufficient milk supply later on. and oso taking black bean soup will help (not sure during pregnancy or confinement). is this true? i dread fish nowadays and i got abt 3 more mths to go 4 my delivery. am trying to 'bu' my body so will hv enuff milk. appreciate any advice pls.
happy.gif

hi ladies, can I please join this thread? My baby is 1mth old and on TBF. However, just now after seeing the PD, I am advised to supplement a little with EBM through bottle-feeding. Around one or two bottles a day. Funny thing is, I dont know how to pump. My BB is a bit slow on weight gain. I guess my milk supply is not that fantastic. Only lately, around 3-4 days ago did I feel my breasts engorged. I guess the milk is flowing??

babyzucchini, my ob-gyn said fish is really good for brain development of the baby (contains DHA), especially in the last trimester and when you are breastfeeding.

Whether it helps with the milk or not, I think you should still consume fish or fish oil tablets (those safe for pregnancy and nursing). Beneficial for both baby and you.

honeygem
i am consuming fish oil tablets. i noe they r gd 4 baby's brain development.
happy.gif

i used to love fish prior to pregnancy but hated fish alot when i am pregnant now. hv heard tt fish is wonderful 4 BM supply, so as my delivery date draws nearer, i kan cheong alrdy. i wan to BF my baby so i hope to improve my milk supply.

hi Babyzucchini, i understand taking fish prior to delivery does not affect bm supply. it's good for brain devt for bb in utero still, and for mummy so she won't get mummy brain!
happy.gif
why do you hate fish now? do note that even taking fish should be in moderation. eg. don't take each type of fish more than once a week. some fish may have mercury contamination. go for variety.

however, as to effectiveness of fish on milk... who knows? i did take fish soup during confinement (not daily) and still do every 3 days.

annissa, your bb gal big at birth hor?! my boy only 2.96kg but was 5.2kg at 4 weeks. How he got so big so fast, i don't know. i just bf on dd 24/7. you don't pump at nite? that might affect ss becos your body thinks you don't need the milk at nite. anya doesn't drink at nites?? i've read that at this age, they still do get hungry esp on bm. but again, every bb is different. but it could account for her guzzling so much during the day. she's prob storing up for nite! Smart girl!

you may want to see if FM can be reduced becos that's the one that fills her up? it's your call... i can't advise cos your instincts should guide you.

missk, you might want to try reading Marc Weisbluth's Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child. He talks at length about the science of sleep. AND CONTRARY TO WHAT WE THINK... good naps ensure good nites. is 9.30pm the earliest you can get bb to bed? studies suggest that a good bedtime for young bb is 7pm when it starts to get dark becos it helps them adjust their bio clock. my boy sleeps by 7.30pm most nites and wakes up at 7am. what book are you reading?

zach's mum

could your bb be fussing for other reasons? part of the challenge to parenting is learning to figure out what cries mean what?!
happy.gif
bb may not be hungry...
happy.gif
maybe bored, tired, needs a change of environment, wet, gas, etc. i found my bb's hungry cry to be like a cough-like cry kek kek kek... LOL!! you did say, fussing... so, could be something else. try investigating. i found my bb also fussed a lot towards late afternoon and evenings... it's their witching hour!

honeygem,

how heavy is your bb at birth/now? engorgement does mean you have milk but you need to relieve the pain by latching on frequently. it may be that your milk was slow in coming. as i mentioned earlier in this thread, be careful of watching the charts. i did not even weigh my bb from 3 to 6 months. i gave a link to WHO's chart for BREASTFED bb, as opposed to Formula fed bb who tend to be bigger.

how often do you feed your bb? at this age, they'll still need to feed every 1-1/2 to 2 hourly to grow. my bb was like that... really felt like cow. but if you latch on more, you'll get more milk.

how to pump? you can rent a good one from hospital or buy one. i use the medela Pump in style. if you are new to this, an electric one will be better for you. if you can latch bb on AND Pump at the same time, very good becos when bb suckles, the letdown reflex is alot faster and can pump very well!

Snort...Thanks for your reply. Your boy is FAST.

Last latch-on is around 10.30pm, 1st latch is 6am. Every morning is very FULL. Only latch 1 side and pump both sides after that, i can yield about 100-130ml every morning. In the office, i only managed 100-120ml from BOTH sides.

Anya is FULLY on bm, either latch-on or ebm. Once a while will give 2oz of FM if she doesnt poo poo for more than 2 days. She has the habit to do it alternate day.

Could rapid decrease weight affect my milk supply? I didnt diet or try anything funny but at 3mth, i'm back to original wt and still going down. I put on 18kg during this pregnancy, majority during the last trimester. After delivery 6.5kg gone, day 7, total 10kg gone.

Wow, so much milk....I just gave birth 3 weeks ago. Even now, I can only pump out about 0.25-0.5 oz per 3-hourly session.I've been breastfeeding my baby as much as he demands but sometimes after breastfeed, he still hungry and no choice, I have to give formula milk......
I've been breastfeeding bb as much as he demands..even every 30 min to 1-hour but till now, still no increase in breastmilk supply.
In fact, I feel so depressed that i'd start crying n feel like giving up breastfeeding.
Any advice on how to increase breast-milk supply?

<font color="ff0000">BREASTFEEDING WOES</font>

Hi, was wondering if anybody could help? My baby is now 2.5mths, and for the past 2 wks, my MS has been strong with 100ml per breast per pumping session.

2 days ago, my MS suddenly dipped! Now I can hardly manage 100ml both breasts during early morning, and it gets worse in the daytime, when squeezing out 50ml is hard as getting a cow to fly!

Now I'm really desperate cos I do not want to stop BF.

Anyone can advise why this is happening to me, and what I can do abt it?

I'm latching bb on during daytime, and he seems satisfied by the milk, but I'm worried that he's not drinking enough, cos my MS is so low!

Hi ladies. Need help in increasing my ms.
Used to TBF bb for 7 weeks then switched to FM. EBM twice a day from that week on.

MS drop to 40ml per session now. Any advise? Bb is now 4 mth old. Currently using Avent manual pump. Thot of switching to electric.

Hi tanwawas,
Don't give up. I was in your shoes. On many occassions, I nearly gave up. It may be due to blocked ducts, like me. See a lactation consultant. I saw Mrs Wong at TMC. She may have received bad comments here but I found her really really helpful. I saw her once, n when i called her over he phone to ask about breastfeeding,she will always answer my questions patiently. Anyway, just don't give up. I'm not one of those lucky ones with abundant milk but I'm definitely trying my best to provide my ger with breastmilk. Mrs Wong said that it's the baby's right to have breastmilk for at the least the first 6 months. We cant deprive them of this right. Persevere!

Back