A fresh new thread to locate SAHM of yr2006?

cat
haha, cy doesnt like pears too! and he loves apples. tried mixing slices of apples with pears but he still avoids the pears...
sad.gif

jp
hihi...must have missed you posts. welcome
happy.gif

not sure if mandarin is important, but i would like it if cy can have mastery of two languages and then maybe pick up a foreign language or so...haiz...tho the hope seems dim now
sad.gif

CNY
these days were crazy. go to different places (Actually only two, but still
sad.gif
) and both cy and ch are tired out...only manged to get them back to schedule today....past two days have been sleeping late coz of the family dinners...wonder why we have dinners so late during cny...

jp
how do u define 'impt'? as in impt for them to start learning the subject at N1? N's in N1 now at her cc but her chinese teacher (from China) focuses more on songs, stories & not rote learning, sanzijing or learning of strokes etc. She shared wif me that they r still too young for that; more impt to enthuse them to like the subject thru fun stuff like songs & stories...to listen to more Mandarin.

Ideally, i would love N to be effectively bilingual, of course, but if i have to choose, would rather she be good in Eng than Ch honestly or her school days in future would be v tough...i figure that if Ch is weak, i only hv to work on one subject but if Eng is weak, i'll need to coach her intensively on other subjects besides Eng cos Math & Science etc oso need good command of Eng.

cat & cy
N oso dun really like pears unless they r the really sweet & soft ones. The sandy kinda pears totally reject.

Shall we have a playdate pot-luck gathering at my place (Toa Payoh) this coming Friday, 30th Jan at 5pm?
1) Precious & Sha (will prepare chicken soup macaroni for the kids)
2) Cheri & N (buy beef guotiao from Geylang for adults)
3)
4)
5)
6)
7)
8)

cheri/jp/cy

i personally think that chinese is impt...
for the obvious la.
but i agree with cheri that the kids must like the language and be immersed in it before u actually attempt to teach them to recognise the words and stroke.

for Ning, I focused a lot on stories(erm, songs i can't cope myself la...)
it was when she had good mastery of hearing, with wide vocab and generally good grammar that I attempted her word recognition.
I used to tell her that i'm going to pass her the 'magic' and she wld be very very thrilled.
So whenever she cld read a word, even the simplest, I wld pronounce very solemnly and proudly that she had acquired some 'magic'!!!

only today did i remind her abt her acquisition of her 'magical power' and told her that i'm going to attempt to pass the other instalment to her, namely her Chinese(argh!!!) and she was rather excited.
Haha, she's already K2 and I'm trying to get her to learn strokes etc...

of course i mentioned to her abt Abacus too.
She was quite keen.
So i went thru the placement of the beads briefly with her and asked her to draw the beads for the values... 1 bead for 1, 2 beads for 2, 3 beads for 4 and 1 bead for 5, etc...

she asked for more.
told her to take a break, not so much i worry abt her burning out... I cld not churn out worksheets fast enuff!!! haha

Hello mommies!!
Gong Xi Fa Cai!
biggrin.gif

JP
welcome welcome
happy.gif

CG
Thanks for open hse
happy.gif

as mentioned, will join in if kate is ok after her pneu jab... will confirm on fri afternoon ya

Cheri
geylang beef kway teow... i like!!

Playdate pot-luck gathering at CG's place (Toa Payoh) this coming Friday, 30th Jan at 5pm
3) Lin & family (dessert) - tbc
4)
5)
6)
7)
8)

Playdate pot-luck gathering at CG's place (Toa Payoh) this coming Friday, 30th Jan at 5pm
4) abcmum n 2 abcs - tbc
5)
6)
7)
8)

cheri
geylang beef kuay teow..haha..their old chef quarreled with the boss and left. she is now at the hawker near my place selling zi char...(we saw her at one tv programme promoting geylang beef kuay teow so know it's her...). she is rather quaint. when hb bought zi char from her, she actually ask hb if he wants beef kuay teow instead and told him she cooks really good beef kuay teow so hb just bought a pack lo, and then we realise it tastes like the geylang one and then asked her and she confessed. then she told hb conspiratorily not to mention to anyone !!! ahahahahha...

4) abcmum n 2 abcs - tbc
5) lilboymum & ch and cy...tbc (dim sum from yum cha)
6)
7)
8)

cy

iyo that's so aunty ya???
ok now we go your place for beef kway teow??

4) abcmum n 2 abcs - tbc
6) cat, ning n kai(tbc)- pack dry stuff cos i will be out, otherwise i wld hv cooked the mussels for u, CG!
7)
8)

Cheri
Count me out for beef kuay tian cos I dun take red meat (only lil pork)
happy.gif

4) abcmum n 2 abcs - tbc
6) cat, ning n kai(tbc)- pack dry stuff cos i will be out, otherwise i wld hv cooked the mussels for u, CG!
7) Pebbles and C
8)

Mummies
<font color="ff6000">I'll ask my helper to prepare dinner for the adults too.</font>
Those who need my add, can sms me? Thanks

1) Precious &amp; Sha (will prepare chicken soup macaroni for the kids too)
2) Cheri &amp; N
3) Lin &amp; family - tbc
4) abcmum n 2 abcs - tbc
5) lilboymum &amp; ch and cy - tbc
6) cat, ning n kai- tbc
7) Pebbles and C
8)

Lin
My helper is fili. So far, no complaints about her.

1) Precious &amp; Sha (will prepare chicken soup macaroni for the kids, and dinner for the adults too)
2) Cheri &amp; N
4) abcmum n 2 abcs - tbc
6) cat, ning n kai- tbc
7) Pebbles and C
8) Angi &amp; Seth
9)
10)

mummies keen on 2nd hand books

happened to chance across this booth at Beauty World basement near my place today...lots of graded readers at $1 each in very good condition mostly. Both Chinese &amp; Mandarin ones; pelangi, rigby series, sunshine etc...they told me that they would likely be there for at least 1 week more.

Precious - Apologies for not able to join you guys...both kids have yet to recover fully. Thanks for the invite
happy.gif

Cat - Ha!Ha! I think all of us are like that...will do anything to get them to eat or drink. BTW, how old is Kai? What about making juices? Wow, you are really on the ball and found a method to entice Ning...congrat!!!

l'l CY^^l'l CH - Hi there &amp; thanks for the warm welcome!
happy.gif
At least you guys had fun during CNY...
happy.gif
Me salivating liao, where do you stay? Want to try the beef kway teow leh...
happy.gif

Cheri - Important as in foundation. OIC, then no worries lah as G1's school no chinese language. At the moment, my hubby sings and read stories in chinese and I will do the same in english.

Lin - Hi there &amp; thanks for the warm welcome!
happy.gif

ABC - So cute! Thanks for sharing!

Playdate gathering at CG's place (Toa Payoh) tomorrow, 30th Jan at 5pm

Remarks: will prepare chicken soup macaroni for the kids, and dinner for the adults too

<font color="ff0000">pls let me have your confirmation by tonight through sms so that I can estimate how much food to prepare, thanks in advance</font>

1) Precious &amp; Sha
2) Cheri &amp; N (confirm)
4) abcmum n 2 abcs - tbc
6) cat, ning n kai- tbc
7) Pebbles and C (confirm)
8) Angi &amp; Seth (confirm)
9)
10)

Cheri
sorri for stoopid qn.. but wat r graded readers?? issit the diff grades for nursery, k1, k2 etc?

JP
tats nice of ur hb
happy.gif
my hb will only jio my boy watch spongebob together -_-"

CG
confirm gg
happy.gif
alr bought 3 boxes of jelly for tomr
brought kate for her jabs jus now instead of tomr morning... so hope she'll ok tomr

lin
heheh no problem at all...i only know abt graded readers after i hv a child &amp; i'm a teacher somemore :p

graded readers r those that hv repeated words on every page to teach the kids how to read eg. I see a cat, i see a dog etc, unlike those thicker stories. any mummy can explain better hehe

cg
no need to bring guotiao anymore? was still thinking of smsing cy where to buy hers

jp
since ur hb &amp; u r taking care of the 2 langs, that's oredi the best arrangement. Both my hb &amp; I speak mostly Eng &amp; a bit of Ch wif her...very hard for me to speak CH solely wif her as the main caregiver leh cos Eng is still the lang i dream in hahaha

cheri/lin

graded/levelled readers means the books are graded fr the easiest, emergent to advanced readers.
The words need not be repeated in the same books but they are systematic in that the words the stories will build on the words learnt earlier...

cat
hmm i dinno abt the part that they will build on the words learnt earlier..then that gives more reason to buy whole set vs random interesting copies.

Digital Gadgets
I'm still pretty amazed at how much technology has advanced...
Took some pictures with my mobile.
Was trying to upload the photos and after a few clicks... the laptop n mobile is connected and they are just doing their jobs, so independently, without any wires etc... just a mobile n laptop lying side by side...

cheri

eh no need to get all la...
cos those words are like
I can see a cat,
I can see a dog...

That's probably Level One, entry level...
There shld be abt 8 books per level?
So any books fr that level wld cover these words...

It's like basic sight words... By the time Level 1 is done with, you wld have covered abt 20 words?
Then Level 2 another 20 etc...
Even if u miss some books the 'damage' is minimal since will be covered again later...

I think leveled content wise is more important.
Since the targeted readers are younger at level 1 the content is simple.
Level 4 wld hv a more sophisticated content and so on n forth la...

cheri

can't quite read my sms cos trying to upload pics so there's a dialogue smack in the middle of my mobile screen... I tried to guess the sms la..

hard to find the ex books?
can't find here also.

haha ya both a bit blur la
i was so shocked when i checked just now so when he got back rushed him out to tt...

MT

u sure cannot take Ribena ah??
cos when he was at clinic I told pd he doesn't like the glucose she was giving.
She told me to add Ribena.
So I bot the packet ibena to mix with water just for the taste.
Pathetic cos dun hv Ribena at home...
So every day had to ration...
But so far so good cos they really drank a lot of water.
Imagine the packet of Ribena... I bot 3 packs to mix with few bottles of plain water and they finished all!
shld hv finished close to 2 litres??

CY

haha we went to many many homes...
1st day was
1. My mum
2. My Granny
3. My FIL's fren
4. My sis

2nd Day
1. HB's uncle
2. HB's granny
3. My sis
4. FIL's fren
5. My bro

we got back not too late but was so tired.
Somehow Kai was very energetic cos he had his nap.
Ning was very tired.
Kai wld try to ride on me, tickle Ning etc...
He wld sleep late and wake up early!!! argh...
Ning knocked out completely n cld not get up...
But they are back to schedule pretty fast...

mummies,
Happy Chinese New Year!

We are all down with diarrhea/vomiting starting from KJ on new year eve, alex on new year day , me on third day while zy today....... All started from a simple reunion dinner at my MIL's place.

so much for a new start.......

Cheri, Cat
thanks for sharing on graded books =) always see u guys using this word but jus din hv any idea wat it was abt

Cutie
oh dear... must be stomach flu ya?? hope all of u r better now

Lin - Oh, my DH also...will jio my #1 to watch TV with him too.
happy.gif

Cheri - I really hope so its enough for now at least. Ya, same here, I also dream in English lang...ha!ha!

Cat - Talking about tech, I was and still am pretty dissappointed with my Motorola PDA phone. The photos which I took is pretty low res.
sad.gif
Haiz, should have bought Nokia. My kids (2 and the half yrs old and 7 mth old) have been sick on off since 5th Dec. Its like domino effect. I think even our PD don't know what else to say. Hopefully, after new year, everyone will get back to our pink health. Thanks!
happy.gif
Wow, you guys really visited lots of folks and I bet your kids had lots of fun!
happy.gif

Cutie - OMG...its has been going around, the stomach flu. Take care and sending over lots of quick healing vibes!

Chinese Lang

I bought some books which I like.
It's a set of 5 books teaching Basic Chinese.
Publisher: Sage Foundation Intellect Limited
www.sagebooks.com.hk

Using Sage Formula
By International Montessori Teacher

There are 20 lessons in each book.

lesson 1: Shan(mountain)
Big word with the stroke
Page 2 word with picture and pinyin n English
P3 same
p4 same(end of lesson)

Lesson 2 Gao Shan
Gao is introduced with strokes
page 2 shan with pic n eng word n pin yin
p3 gao shan with pic pinyin n eng
p4 same(end of lesson)

lesson 3 De

p2 shan
p3 gao shan
p4 gao gao de shan

Quite good.
Only $6 but the pic sucks...

Tried to take pic but cannot bluetooth to my laptop...

pebs

not all the books cheap

reading tog Cutie got cheaper and the lift the falp books

Kai likes Mr Men a lot when he got a set of mini board books for christmas... but i hates them le*Ooops*

cutie
do take care. stomach flu is contagious guess that's why the whole family can kena. Was going to tell you that the beauty world 2nd hand books r way better condition, more variety &amp; more organised than those we saw in bras basah that day. Definitely worth a visit if you r keen on the levelled books.

cat
i only saw ur sms abt the exercise books after i left the shop so couldn't get for you. r u referring to those that we used to use in sch? can't find them in SG anymore?

Cat
Most books in the BP are cheaper than stores. I saved 40% buying Miss and Mr set from this bp. Have been eyeing them in the bookstores and C likes them. Hee. Seuss series, Dahl and Thomas train are also cheaper.

pebs

haha ya i know cheaper than stores but find so ex to get little miss n mr series although kai likes them loads... stingy la

dr seuss... i'm not huge fan...

dahl ... i had complete collection but loaned out nvr get back... hv the omnibus too...

thomas stocked up liao... but the later series not so nice liao.... those few trains created just for his son so nice...

bp books-
yah not all is cheap.we got the whole seuss set for more than 30% less than the price it is selling at BP at borders. but those hard to find titles still good to get at BPs ?

cg-
u wanna get the iq games too? i emailed the malaysian supplier. they do delivery to spore but they havent got back to me regarding costs. anyway each set is 99.90 ringgit excluding shipping. not cheap yah?

School-
Sidney came home with a big bruise on his head after pg today. really big,nothing ive ever seen when we're at home (but of course we are not at home). Feeling really heartpain, coz he cant express himself or speak and the teacher just tells me he fell and crashed into a chair. Hai.

Read it somewhere that dr suess series are pegged to the phonics requirement of american grade school. he mentioned that many people thought his books are rubbish and that he most likely finish writing each in a day or so, but he said his books can take him up to half a year to write. he will receive a list of words and phonic requirement from the schools and write the books based on those reuqirement...interesting...

molasses
hey i just read about this yesterday. was thinking of using this as sugar replacement for CY. molasses unlike sugar contains many beneficial minerals like maganese, magnesium, iron and copper. it also contains all the range of vitamins B for neural development. one tablespoon of this contains 3x the amount of iron in an egg and more calcium than a glass of milk!!

re teaching our tots chinese
was thinking it would be interesting to start off introducing some simple characters to them using chinese ideograms (not sure if that's exactly the term)...eg. the word 'hao' is made up of 'nu' &amp; 'zi' wif the meaning that in ancient times, women were considered good if they bear a child. of course, it would be best to start wif simpler words. Wonder if there r any books or websites wif info on these?

found this site so far but the words r not all simple &amp; some r of 'fan ti zi'

http://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~wwu/chinese/ideograms.shtml

Shauna
Hey nice to see you here again.
I got some suess from Border at about $11 per book. After less 30% discount it is about $7 plus. But this bp is selling at $4 only! Cheaper ley?

Cat
Loaned out? When it comes to books especially, I never like to loan out. Very precious to me.

Cat-
Yah lah, BIG BAO. ang pao- no chance :-(
Later we will be seeing new speech therapist. Imagine up till now, i'm still looking ard for positive, useful therapists!(u will be suprised how sullen they all are when we see them, and none even bothers to say hi to sidney when they see him) Ive finally found my perfect physio but still looking for my dream speech therapist.
My timing hard to coincide with everyone's. He has to eat dinner at home and needs to sleep at 8pm, so we couldnt go to most gatherings.
Little Sid is terribly traumatised from school. Everyday he whines from the lift and explodes into a wail when he reaches playgroup. When he goes out, he whines n clings on to me when we stranger walks past him. Haiya.

Seuss-
Actually he always has alot of fictional characters in his nonsense rhymes. But i think its so interesting and good for the kids' imagination, u know. Like Vipper of Vip, Snuvs..i'm thinking one day i'm gonna ask Sid(when he can talk lah), and he will tell me what a snuv is(in his little mind)

CY
Molasses
YEs, I use this as a substitute for sugar. We used for cooking, baking, etc. Another one is Aligo which is also betta than sugar.

pebs-
this set from BP is the much smaller (dimensions of book)set. smaller books than the 10book set. and 10 books set is hardcover, this one is paperback. but no prb lah, u always wrap ur books. hee.
actually a long time ago u mentioned u wrap all ur books and that inspired me to do the same. its has kept me a very busy woman since.

shauna

oh dear that's bad for health care provider...

Cheri
i tried the method out when teaching chinese but very hard to get all the words i want... i saw a book in popular... more on the pictorial side... like how shan is written in that manner.

i think for younger tots it's more useful that way?
i didn't get cos the words are rather chim n pic very small...
i was inspired cos when i was in NY i was taught that way by my tr.

cy/shauna

i know seuss put in great effort in his books
like his pup in cup
ball small
pup up
etc

but i just dun like la

imagination can be stretched many ways ya...

Back