(2015/08) Aug 2015 Mummies

Yes, Dr advise either Amino or Harmony. And I was thinking as Harmony uses blood test as well and I failed my blood test during Oscar so Im not confident of the end result as its related to blood test. As for Amino, I'm really afraid as much as I wanted a 100% assurance. Sigh.

sl, maybe i know what steps did you take thereafter the Oscar result? And I guess all is fine now? Did you take Harmony as that's based on blood test too so am still struggling over it. Usually what can be spotted during 20 week? As I asked my gynae, he said if I choose to just ignore the Oscar, I won't be able to detect anything during 20 week scan. Does 20 week scan included blood test as well? Thanks sl, I'm really very affected and just can't stop thinking and concentrate at work.

Thanks Piggling. Yeah, it seems to be such a tough decision and now I think back, I should have gone straight to Harmony instead. When will you be getting back yours? Don't worry, Im sure all will be good! :)
Hi, I am not out of the woods yet. After talking to a few people I decided to go for Harmony test. The results takes two weeks so it is going to be a long wait. I made the decision on my own as my hubby does not give any constructive suggestions. The 20 week scan does not include blood test but there will be indications. My colleague failed her oscar twice. The first round she chose to wait till 20 week scan. Sonographer was aware of her high risk so took extra care to look out for the signs. He pointed out to her those signs which indicate her kid is low risk so I believe 20 week scan can tell. Second round she went for amnio cos she has the first kid to consider.
I also spoke to a colleague whose gal is autistic. But i spoke to him more cos i wanted his perspective for the tough questions. His answers gives me hope. Their family is stronger than before. Their elder gal has values that children of her age will not have cos she takes care of her sis.
Take a rest today and see if there is anyone you would like to discuss this with. It is not an easy thing to choose what course of action to take.

@ling_87...I see, u mean playgroup in childcare center right? I heard the waitlist in punggol and seng kang is very long indeed, especially the very popular MFS, etc. I think definitely have to be waitlisted at birth.

I feel quite deflated at the thought of SG50 baby, will be another round of tough fight for everything, as my girl was born in Dragon year...many of my dragon year friends are already cracking our brains about primary schools. gosh...

Hi, I am not out of the woods yet. After talking to a few people I decided to go for Harmony test. The results takes two weeks so it is going to be a long wait. I made the decision on my own as my hubby does not give any constructive suggestions. The 20 week scan does not include blood test but there will be indications. My colleague failed her oscar twice. The first round she chose to wait till 20 week scan. Sonographer was aware of her high risk so took extra care to look out for the signs. He pointed out to her those signs which indicate her kid is low risk so I believe 20 week scan can tell. Second round she went for amnio cos she has the first kid to consider.
I also spoke to a colleague whose gal is autistic. But i spoke to him more cos i wanted his perspective for the tough questions. His answers gives me hope. Their family is stronger than before. Their elder gal has values that children of her age will not have cos she takes care of her sis.
Take a rest today and see if there is anyone you would like to discuss this with. It is not an easy thing to choose what course of action to take.

All these sounds so real again. Autism worries :( After childbirth, that's the next big leap, until we start seeing them acting normal at abt 2yo...

Big Hugs. I'm really quite ignorant of these tests, so sorry I can't offer any suggestions. I hope all goes well.
I also wonder what's the diff betw the bloodtest for Oscar and Harmony though it's claimed that Harmony is 99% accurate, Oscar 90%.
Those that I know who had bad oscar results, they normally do amino at Paragon next but that's abt 3 yrs ago where Harmony isn't popular in Singapore yet (was like $2.5k back then).

Thanks Vermont! :) I was being offered with suggestion for Amino too but Im still hesitating and I wonder if there's still people who does that test. :/

Like your nick, have faith. Whatever comes, we still have to face it eventually.
However by worrying and filling the mind will negative thoughts will not help in anything and will only make ourselves more miserable
How is the scan? Can u see the baby's nasal bone/spine? How about the lung, heart and major organs?
The ratio is just a statics. Might not be as bad as what u think.

Agreed sane, but I just can't stop thinking after the result. As much as I tell myself not to worry, its hard. The scan and measurement of the baby is all good, everything is fine. Just that when its combined with blood test, the result becomes bad. My gynae actually gave me another option which is to ignore it & I'm not sure if thats the norm that Dr advise to their patients. Hmm.

Thanks sl for your inputs. Actually the inner voice tells me to take Harmony as I can do it immediate but whats holding me back is because it deals with blood test as well. And Im really afraid to go through another ordeal again. And Harmony is not cheap too. How much did you pay for yours? Im sure the wait is really really long. :( When will your result be out? Did your Dr gave you the option to ignore?

Have-faith,

Harmony test result is not that very very long wait.. Less than 2 weeks shd be fine..

Did doc tel ur wat is the ratio of DS?

Actually the nurse just call me to say 'normal' ..

I didnt asked her abt the ratio or wat she meant by normal.

My next appt wif gynae is 17feb so i believe he will discuss wif me then.

Meanwhile i ask my clinic to fax the results to dr ananda clinic cos i gg to do genetic scan next week 5feb. so maybe dr ananda can also explain to me.

Yeah, 1:150. Is it very bad? Actually I'm not sure how does all this ratio determines too. How's yours?

Oh yah because yours is not Oscar scan, blurred me. I guess the word 'normal' can already put you at ease. :D I was thinking if its alright if my gynae knows I'm visiting Dr Ananda too. But I guess should be fine right since he doesn't do genetic scan like him too. So shouldn't have any conflicts. :rolleyes:

Have any conflicts also dun care liao lah..

Oh yah because yours is not Oscar scan, blurred me. I guess the word 'normal' can already put you at ease. :D I was thinking if its alright if my gynae knows I'm visiting Dr Ananda too. But I guess should be fine right since he doesn't do genetic scan like him too. So shouldn't have any conflicts. :rolleyes:

Thanks Vermont! :) I was being offered with suggestion for Amino too but Im still hesitating and I wonder if there's still people who does that test. :/

Agreed sane, but I just can't stop thinking after the result. As much as I tell myself not to worry, its hard. The scan and measurement of the baby is all good, everything is fine. Just that when its combined with blood test, the result becomes bad. My gynae actually gave me another option which is to ignore it & I'm not sure if thats the norm that Dr advise to their patients. Hmm.

Thanks sl for your inputs. Actually the inner voice tells me to take Harmony as I can do it immediate but whats holding me back is because it deals with blood test as well. And Im really afraid to go through another ordeal again. And Harmony is not cheap too. How much did you pay for yours? Im sure the wait is really really long. :( When will your result be out? Did your Dr gave you the option to ignore?

U worry too much, my dear. My frd's blood test is 1:76 and she's not even doing the oscar.
Everyday eat n sleep enjoying her life :)

Yes, Dr advise either Amino or Harmony. And I was thinking as Harmony uses blood test as well and I failed my blood test during Oscar so Im not confident of the end result as its related to blood test. As for Amino, I'm really afraid as much as I wanted a 100% assurance. Sigh.

sl, maybe i know what steps did you take thereafter the Oscar result? And I guess all is fine now? Did you take Harmony as that's based on blood test too so am still struggling over it. Usually what can be spotted during 20 week? As I asked my gynae, he said if I choose to just ignore the Oscar, I won't be able to detect anything during 20 week scan. Does 20 week scan included blood test as well? Thanks sl, I'm really very affected and just can't stop thinking and concentrate at work.

Thanks Piggling. Yeah, it seems to be such a tough decision and now I think back, I should have gone straight to Harmony instead. When will you be getting back yours? Don't worry, Im sure all will be good! :)

Hi, I am going for my Oscars on Monday. Fingers crossed that things will be fine.
If I am not wrong, I heard that the ratio for Oscars results to be okie or not is 1:300. So any number smaller than 300, they will deem as risk.
Can really understand your fear and worries.
Do you want to consider Harmony first? Seems like Harmony has a lower rate of getting back false results. Amino is still more exp than Harmony and is invasive. So maybe you can consider Harmony first. Take your time to think through and discuss with hubby and family.
Sending all positive thoughts and hugs to you. :)

Like your nick, have faith. Whatever comes, we still have to face it eventually.
However by worrying and filling the mind will negative thoughts will not help in anything and will only make ourselves more miserable
How is the scan? Can u see the baby's nasal bone/spine? How about the lung, heart and major organs?

The ratio is just a statics. Might not be as bad as what u think.

U have more buffer to eat during CNY, don't need to be scared to put on weight.
Hehe I am guessing yours. The next scan will be in 02 Mar, detailed scan.
Hopefully can see, is the longest wait of my life.

Hehe.. I also hope my appetite will come back in time for CNY. Today I ate more during lunch, feel so happy! :D
Okie, let's see if you are accurate! :)
So fast detailed scan for you liao! Wishing that you ace it !

slchua, jia you and best wishes to you!
Hoping for you that your harmony results come back well and fine! :)

@ling_87...I see, u mean playgroup in childcare center right? I heard the waitlist in punggol and seng kang is very long indeed, especially the very popular MFS, etc. I think definitely have to be waitlisted at birth.

I feel quite deflated at the thought of SG50 baby, will be another round of tough fight for everything, as my girl was born in Dragon year...many of my dragon year friends are already cracking our brains about primary schools. gosh...

I also v scare about the SG 50 babies thingy. Are there really so many people giving birth? Because I feel last year was very hot, heard that horse year is the hottest after Dragon. So I was hoping most gave birth last year liao, this year not so crowded.

Yeah, 1:150. Is it very bad? Actually I'm not sure how does all this ratio determines too. How's yours?
My result same as yours. Actually if u think about it 1:150 is still a less than 1% chance. My gynae fren said to me it is a matter of your perspective of risk. 1:300 is a cut off they use but these are based on stats that they collected and our ratios are based on these stats. I have not seen my gynae yet so I made the decision on my own. My blood work is bad. Papp a is low which is not a good result.
trying to be as optimistic as i can about this. To be honest i also did a lot of read up on life with trisomy 21 kid. It is not easy but many have done it and children are easy to love.

I forgot to answer this. I paid 1k for it. I told bb that he or she keeps spending my money before coming out. Going to deduct from the baby bonus....haha
but as long as healthy money can make it back.

All these sounds so real again. Autism worries :( After childbirth, that's the next big leap, until we start seeing them acting normal at abt 2yo...
Yup. Autism cannot be diagnosed via screening tests before birth and only diagnosed at 2 years of age. Singapore is improving in terms of resources for special education but the waitlist is still long. Surprisingly he told me a HK couple moved to Sg as they felt the environment in Sg is better.

Hi, I am going for my Oscars on Monday. Fingers crossed that things will be fine.
If I am not wrong, I heard that the ratio for Oscars results to be okie or not is 1:300. So any number smaller than 300, they will deem as risk.
Do you want to consider Harmony first? Seems like Harmony has a lower rate of getting back false results. Amino is still more exp than Harmony and is invasive. So maybe you can consider Harmony first. Take your time to think through and discuss with hubby and family.
Amnio requires less cash upfront cos can deduct 450 from medisave but harmony is not covered so has to be paid in full by patient.

Hi all, I have been following this thread for almost a mth.. I m in 11weeks edd 22Aug , my 2nd baby.

Intend to join after 1st trim but reading conybrown post made me worry.. I have a shock this Tuesday too when I wake up n pee, clots of blood came out. This nv happen to me before, we rush to Kkh A&E. After scan doc say bb ok got heartbeat.. Did not ask me to bed rest or wat. For the past 2 days, every time I poo, clot of blood will flow out..
and today become brownish, like end of menses.. Any one face this problem before.Is it normal. Should I go back to KKH again?

Thank u! I just pray I have the strength to accept whatever results comes back.

I hoping for the best for you that your results will be a favourable and happy one.
I agree that the ratio is just a stats and there are ladies with bad Oscars scan who have healthy babies too. Though worrying, lets hope for the best and embrace whatever it may come.
Agree that money can be earned back. As long as everything is okie, money is 2nd place.
Jia you.

Amnio requires less cash upfront cos can deduct 450 from medisave but harmony is not covered so has to be paid in full by patient.

Oh ic... so that is a difference between the costs.
For me, I am slightly worried that amnio is invasive, although I think that would be my gynae's preferred route if I got bad Oscars results. Think my gynae quote me about 2k for amnio and 1k for harmony so even after the $450 from medisave, I will still pay more if I need the tests. :(

I had this needle-poking kind of pain on the right side of my stomach in the late morning then it went away. Now it comes back again.
It just feel like needle keep poking on the right side of my stomach, really like mid stomach, in line with my belly button.
Anyone experienced this before or know if it is due to anything?

Oh ic... so that is a difference between the costs.
For me, I am slightly worried that amnio is invasive, although I think that would be my gynae's preferred route if I got bad Oscars results. Think my gynae quote me about 2k for amnio and 1k for harmony so even after the $450 from medisave, I will still pay more if I need the tests. :(
So ex for amnio? I recall kkh quoted my cheaper. 900 bucks for amnio or maybe i was not paying attention....

So ex for amnio? I recall kkh quoted my cheaper. 900 bucks for amnio or maybe i was not paying attention....

yah, sounds exp. My husband was saying, it is more exp than Harmony. But I will see how it goes as things get along... I hope Oscars results will be okie and if not then first choice would probably be Harmony.

U worry too much, my dear. My frd's blood test is 1:76 and she's not even doing the oscar.
Everyday eat n sleep enjoying her life :)

Its hard not to worry when result is not what we wished for. But trying to stay as positive as possible & have faith. :D

My result same as yours. Actually if u think about it 1:150 is still a less than 1% chance. My gynae fren said to me it is a matter of your perspective of risk. 1:300 is a cut off they use but these are based on stats that they collected and our ratios are based on these stats. I have not seen my gynae yet so I made the decision on my own. My blood work is bad. Papp a is low which is not a good result.
trying to be as optimistic as i can about this. To be honest i also did a lot of read up on life with trisomy 21 kid. It is not easy but many have done it and children are easy to love.

Yeah, its really less than 1%, however as a parents I think as much as we can, we try not to take any chance. Your Dr did not gave you any advise on next steps after your result? You're so brave to make decision yourself. My mind is all in a mess. :/

I forgot to answer this. I paid 1k for it. I told bb that he or she keeps spending my money before coming out. Going to deduct from the baby bonus....haha
but as long as healthy money can make it back.

Haha. Exactly! As long as baby is healthy, nothing else matters. Money can always earn back.

Hi all, I have been following this thread for almost a mth.. I m in 11weeks edd 22Aug , my 2nd baby.
Intend to join after 1st trim but reading conybrown post made me worry.. I have a shock this Tuesday too when I wake up n pee, clots of blood came out. This nv happen to me before, we rush to Kkh A&E. After scan doc say bb ok got heartbeat.. Did not ask me to bed rest or wat. For the past 2 days, every time I poo, clot of blood will flow out..
and today become brownish, like end of menses.. Any one face this problem before.Is it normal. Should I go back to KKH again?

Hi Maxlene, i think you should go back to kkh & inform your Dr. Maybe they'll prescribe you some med or jab to stable the pregnancy. Don't worry too much. Hugs.

Thanks Piggling! You'll be fine, don't worry and enjoy seeing baby in action. :) Whats holding me back for Harmony its the use of blood test again, and Im worried result will be the same. Tough decision. :confused:

:)
Hehe.. I also hope my appetite will come back in time for CNY. Today I ate more during lunch, feel so happy! :D
Okie, let's see if you are accurate! :)
So fast detailed scan for you liao! Wishing that you ace it !

We all have the 能吃是福 feel. At least feel healthier rather than sickly.
Thanks and may all mummies have a smooth and healthy pregnancies too.

Ermmmm.... sometimes I feel pain at the side of my tummy too or cramps feel and when there's cramps, there will be more discharge too. That's when I will take a rest/nap in bed.

Its hard not to worry when result is not what we wished for. But trying to stay as positive as possible & have faith. :D

Yeah, its really less than 1%, however as a parents I think as much as we can, we try not to take any chance. Your Dr did not gave you any advise on next steps after your result? You're so brave to make decision yourself. My mind is all in a mess. :/

Haha. Exactly! As long as baby is healthy, nothing else matters. Money can always earn back.

Hi Maxlene, i think you should go back to kkh & inform your Dr. Maybe they'll prescribe you some med or jab to stable the pregnancy. Don't worry too much. Hugs.

Thanks Piggling! You'll be fine, don't worry and enjoy seeing baby in action. :) Whats holding me back for Harmony its the use of blood test again, and Im worried result will be the same. Tough decision. :confused:
I am not very brave. The first day is the toughest after getting the results. It took me a few days of agony before reaching the decision. And i spoke to a few ppl to help in deciding. Take your time to ponder. Like i said today dun think about making a decision. Your mind is too confused today. If u need more discussion pm me and i will text u my number

I had this needle-poking kind of pain on the right side of my stomach in the late morning then it went away. Now it comes back again.
It just feel like needle keep poking on the right side of my stomach, really like mid stomach, in line with my belly button.

Short bursts of needle poking sensation is common. This will get more frequent as we progress further, including dull numbing pulling sensations etc. Cos the uterus is expanding. But these shouldn't be unbearable. If unbearable, gotta consult gynae.

Do u know if Horse year newborns is more than Dragon year? I'm not sure what's so great about the SG baby package to be honest, not too sure about the contents too. Hope no crazy baby boom

Usually brown discharge indicates old blood, meaning the bleeding inside may have stopped and these brown discharge are just the remaining leftovers.

But if there isn't any red discharge for a start and suddenly there's brown discharge, then it's a sign there's bleeding inside and has been for a wee bit while, thus when the blood makes it out, it's already 'old blood' so it's brown.

This is just my understanding but there may other reasons too.

If there's anymore red spotting, will be good idea to consult gynae and see if can get hormone supports.

Short bursts of needle poking sensation is common. This will get more frequent as we progress further, including dull numbing pulling sensations etc. Cos the uterus is expanding. But these shouldn't be unbearable. If unbearable, gotta consult gynae.

Do u know if Horse year newborns is more than Dragon year? I'm not sure what's so great about the SG baby package to be honest, not too sure about the contents too. Hope no crazy baby boom

Thanks for your advice. It comes and goes rather fast so at least, it is bearable.

I am not sure if Horse year babies are more than Dragon year because I feel Dragon year is definitely the most. But I feel last year, I really see many many pregnant women. My friend who is a foreigner, used to study here and when she came back last year, she asked us if government has any new policies because she sees pregnant women everywhere! Lol!

I hope to join team blue too. My neck is as long as sane

We r already in the same team mah .... everyday chat chat :D

Keke I have total no idea about SG50 too, quite a pleasant surprise when I learn about it, they should give a x50% baby bonus.

Today I have aching pain around the tummy too, like needles poking and cramps. I took a 1.5hr nap and wake up feeling so much better.​

Keke I have total no idea about SG50 too, quite a pleasant surprise when I learn about it, they should give a x50% baby bonus.

Today I have aching pain around the tummy too, like needles poking and cramps. I took a 1.5hr nap and wake up feeling so much better.​

During 3rd trimester, when it's about time for delivery, 1 of the symtomps is cramps...like period cramps. So I guess if it's not that sorta cramps, then shouldn't be a big worry.

Aching sensations will be quite common and indeed if we walk too much/ not rest enough, these aching sensations will visit us more. Usually rest and plenty of water will do the trick.

lol... if only SG50 babies bonus is more on monetary incentives. I'm not sure if the gift package will be useful. But hv to register online for it.

Sane how old is your girl? This will be your no.2?

Ohhh.. Same same on the needle poking feeling. Today is the first time I felt it so i am like ??? Hehe. But it happened twice when I was working so cant nap. Maybe I too rush/uptight with work.

Actually though there isnt much contents in the sg 50 pack, I am kind of excited about it. Just feel something special abt it. Lol.

During 3rd trimester, when it's about time for delivery, 1 of the symtomps is cramps...like period cramps. So I guess if it's not that sorta cramps, then shouldn't be a big worry.

Aching sensations will be quite common and indeed if we walk too much/ not rest enough, these aching sensations will visit us more. Usually rest and plenty of water will do the trick.

lol... if only SG50 babies bonus is more on monetary incentives. I'm not sure if the gift package will be useful. But hv to register online for it.

Sane how old is your girl? This will be your no.2?

Haha ya ... the labour pain will not be around the tummy, it will be a dull aching pain around the pelvis. A different kind of pain.

The cramps around the tummy are probably due to stretching of the tummy.

I can feel that tummy gets bigger after the stretch :)

I seen mummies using the red sling, looks quite handy.

Hehe yes my no. 2, my big baby is already in P3.

Ohhh.. Same same on the needle poking feeling. Today is the first time I felt it so i am like ??? Hehe. But it happened twice when I was working so cant nap. Maybe I too rush/uptight with work.

Actually though there isnt much contents in the sg 50 pack, I am kind of excited about it. Just feel something special abt it. Lol.

I take it as bb growing, Dr say is common to have cramps, asked me not to worry so much. :)

I am quite excited and look forward to it too. Today just brought a 350g of cookies, almost finished it. Now they have a offer, 2 tubs of cookies for $26. I shall get that :D

it is safer for u to go back to your gynae to have another round of check. pray nothing serious.

Me too! Yesterday i walked up a slope n suddenly felt tat. On n off till today.

I m v sad.. i weigh myself n shocked to c 2.5kg gained within a mth! Must be due to all the non stop eating since ms stopped. N now i m hungry again.. cannot control.. went to cook instant mee n beg hubby to share wif me coz i scare too fat..

I also v scare about the SG 50 babies thingy. Are there really so many people giving birth? Because I feel last year was very hot, heard that horse year is the hottest after Dragon. So I was hoping most gave birth last year liao, this year not so crowded.

Yes!! I have already 2 满月 in February and my ofc has 2 preg in my department and I head a few other departments also have many preg this yr. My boss joked that we shld have more SG celebration to boast birthrate.

I was hoping for a 'baby horse' last year but mc within 10wks last Jan but I'm grateful for my gift now whether it is SG50 or not.

Do you guys have changing EDD as you go for scans? After my scan today, it's gone from 6 Aug to 1Aug. Which is a little confusing for me.. Do u stick to the LMP calculated EDD or do u take references to the baby's size?

I m v sad.. i weigh myself n shocked to c 2.5kg gained within a mth! Must be due to all the non stop eating since ms stopped. N now i m hungry again.. cannot control.. went to cook instant mee n beg hubby to share wif me coz i scare too fat..

I rather put on weight and be happy rather than having that horrible ms and feel so miserable. ><"

So lucky to have appetite for supper. The horrible ms will strike at night.

Yes!! I have already 2 满月 in February and my ofc has 2 preg in my department and I head a few other departments also have many preg this yr. My boss joked that we shld have more SG celebration to boast birthrate.

I was hoping for a 'baby horse' last year but mc within 10wks last Jan but I'm grateful for my gift now whether it is SG50 or not.

Do you guys have changing EDD as you go for scans? After my scan today, it's gone from 6 Aug to 1Aug. Which is a little confusing for me.. Do u stick to the LMP calculated EDD or do u take references to the baby's size?

Take the latest EDD, LMP is just a rough guide, it will change accordingly to the bb size.

Hi mummies, I have been a silent reader for some time and this is my first post.
My first child is a dragon baby, like some of the mummies here:)
Read that MS has subsided for some mummies here, so lucky! I still get on/off nausea and some food just "buay gum" with me >.<
Happy to join the group!! :)

mummies have you all done your oscar test? today doctor called me, my result was not good 1:86
I'm so worried... should i go for harmony test? mummies can give me some advice?

i didnt gain weight, in fact like lost 1-2kg..

So worried initially, but doc say is normal.. o_O

Me too! Yesterday i walked up a slope n suddenly felt tat. On n off till today.

I guess maybe we all around the same time so start to feel similar things! I went online to read, some said that could be due to stretching and can change positions to see if it relives the aches.

I was hoping for a baby horse too and it din come and I thought I will probably take many years to have my first baby so this is really a wonderful gift to me. Very grateful too and hope everything turn out fine.

My EDD also brought forward slightly due to growth of baby but my gynae told us that she doesnt change EDD so we just leave it as it is. I leave it to Heaven to decide when baby should come. :)

Hi mummies, I have been a silent reader for some time and this is my first post.
My first child is a dragon baby, like some of the mummies here:)
Read that MS has subsided for some mummies here, so lucky! I still get on/off nausea and some food just "buay gum" with me >.<
Happy to join the group!! :)

Hi, welcome!
Me still MS too. Just try to eat whatever we can when the stomach is cooperative. :) yesterday i can eat a bowl of fishball beehoon soup, I was soooo happy!

Back