(2013/08) August 2013

Amanda, my NT was bad and that increased my overall risk to 1:30. But i had done researches on DS, and i realized that the NT scan was done when my baby was not in the right position. I did get a 2nd opinion and he told me that risk is there 3%, but think positive that 97% the baby is perfectly normal. that's y we decided not to go further analysis.

I heard TMC also not bad, but some complaint that the nurses got attitude? you taking what type of room?

Rachyo, thx for the information on ur gynae. but the package is a bit high, need to discuss with hubby.

i've heard mt.alvernia is quite good, the confinement food is nice too. you plan to get what type of room? my colleague just delivered at mt.alvernia, he took Deluxe room, normal delivery with epidural, all up about $8k.

Giving birth to a baby indeed needs a lot of $$$...need to start saving more $$....

Diorly, sounds like Dr Jocelyn is a nice lady.1st child of course gan chiong, just hoping the gynae can guide us through but not making the situation worst. do you have her contact no? how much is the package? when does the package usually starts, as im already in my 14 weeks.

My frd's gynae told her dun drink too much milk coz its fattening. He recommended taking calcium pills instead. And I rmbr at Mt A nutrition talk for preg, the speaker said many cases of mums with gestation diabetes had taken maternal milk. I think sugar level is high for the maternal milk, so drink in moderation.

Hi Yuki~ if you are not comfortable with the gynae, then you should consider switching... cos you are going to face him/her until you give birth leh. sorry i'm not from the east, but if you dun mind traveling to TMC or Mt. Alvernia for appointments, I do have some friends' recommendations...

Rachyo: congrats to you having a gal gal again
happy.gif
haha really leh must tell hubby the gender is decided by him not you... hee hee hee. can't wait to know my one~ another 2 weeks~

re: milk - I'm drinking normal fresh milk + taking multi-vits.. i think this is enough la. i personally dun like milk powder so fresh milk definitely beats maternal milk powder nia.

re: weight gain - I have been eating normally but my change of weight from before pregnancy till now is... zero. still the same... my weight has been at this same level for the past 10 yrs..

Diorly, i agree with u. Joycelyn wong is gd. i am seing her too.

yuki, u can call 3532033 to make appt.

Having a baby, we are sure very anxious.. We must make sure we are comfortable talking to the gynae n hv the assurance that our baby is okay. i am having my #3. n i am seeing her for all my previoua pregnancy. n she ia gd.

yeah yuki.. mt a is gd n has great confinement food.. 4yrs ago i stayed in 2 bedded (i opted for 1 bedded but there r no bed available so in the end i hv to stay in 2 bedded).. i paid $1.8k after medisave deduction (epi with assisted delivery).. i think the price increased alot..

Ellen: haha yaloh.. my hubby v traditional.. traditional ah pek! haha

Ellen, Im staying at the end of East, and honestly going to TMC & Mt.Alvernia are a bit far for me. but thanks for any recommendation.

Milk- im drinking anmum before pregnancy, but honestly i think i grow bigger than those mummies consuming fresh milk. cant stop coz my mum bought 4 boxes for stock keeping. currently having 1 cup/daily.

Btw, Ellen, how can you eat normally but not extra, and still manage to keep the weight? My genes belong to the BIG size, and i always feel that i can gain weight by just breathing.

i trying to control my weight, but everyone said dont do so coz is not healthy. confusing....

Baby20-manja:thx for the contact no.you seems to be 2 weeks earlier than me, EDD 3 weeks of Aug?
you intend to deliver at TMC?

To all mummies feeling depressed at times.. Please dont! I went for rountine check last week and found that my bb has been daignosed with Omphalocele. I couldnt accept it at first but now I think I gotta stay positive. Let's all work hard and be a happy mummy. Cheers
happy.gif

Eileen: How did yr gynae managed to diagnose this condition? Any remedy you can take in e meantime? Yes, please stay positive, baby will receive the positive signals de...

I'm drinking anmum too.. Tt's e nicest tasting maternal milk tt i've tried so far.. But I dun drink it everyday cos I get stomach flu from too much dairy products during pregnancy..

Seems like a lot of mommies delivering in tmc or mount a.. Am I e only one delivering in mount e here?

Eileen, stay positive.. Smile and laugh more. It helps to send these signals to bb.. My #1 is a very smiley boy so I guess e positive feelings tt I have during pregnancy helps.

Depression
I had a bit of depression towards the end of my pregnancy, but managed to overcome it by talking it out. Just talk to pple who can understand and stay positive!!

Angela: yes agreed! i'm really trying to stay happy everyday.. and take everything easy, sleep well and eat well, else i will feel like i'm being a bad mummy to my baby
happy.gif
well at least we have some sort of a "support group" here and on FB so can share our woes / happiness w all.

Eileen, you are so positive! It must be hard to say than do, but plz try to stay positive and believe you r not alone. You hav ur hubby, family, friends, colleagues , and all the mommies here in this forum to support u. Be happy n think positive yah!

Thanks all for ur concern.
Doc detected that thru scan at 13 weeks. Bb abdominal wall didn't close up as its suppose to close up by week 12. that causes the intestine to be exposed but thank god it's protected by the sac. It's very rare case in Singapore like 3-4 cases per year n I the unlucky one. Gg for Amnio next mth to see if there's other defect *finger crossed*
So Aug mommies, pls stay positive n happy ya

I'm at week 18 now. So far I've no MS. Only sometimes I will have no appetite. But I'm still eating well. Did not gain any weigh since pregnant. Shall see my next appt 13mar to check if I've gain any weigh. Tried eating more recently as my hubby say I still eat so little. Every night before slp will drink meji fresh milk but of cos not cold. Doesn't have slping problems too. Have been slping alot whenever i can since pregnant. My sister say I'm like a pig. Slp eat slp eat. Haha. Till now I haven remove my gelish nails but I need to remove it as my work doesn't allowed and my nails are super long. Need cut but the ribbon is blocking.

Mt A is very good. The nurses and midwives in the delivery suite are very encouraging, give personal touch while being professional.. The ward nurses also good. Meals r quite ok too (but i dont like confinement meals. Next time shall order
Muslim or western food. Haaa)

Oh the nurses told me august is a popular month for deliveries. Cos alot of babies are conceived during the year end holidays. Hahahah

haha.. then we might c each other in the ward at mt a since theres lots of mummies going to deliver in mt a.

ladies.. hv u ladies plan hw much to put aside for the delivery, confinement lady, confinement herbs etc?

my fren was billed $16k+ for delivery (one bedded c sect with full GA) at mt e, $600+ for herbs, $2.6k for confinement lady.. think she also spent alot on fish, veg etc.. its alot of $ rite..
proud.gif

yuki,
ur place hv bus no 5? it actually not that far to travel to tmc if the bus service available at ur place.i also at east. but goin tmc is abt 20 mins bus ride. i also from acj, but under dr khi. nice n patient lady also.

for oscar scan, my result was not gd either. but mine was the blood test that pulled the result down. while scannin mayb up to individual sonographer skill. blood test we feel is more higher chances. thus we decided to do the aminocentesis.

eileen,
may i ask if tis ur first child? u r really positive n brave mommy leh! i goin for aminocentesis nxt mth as well. my oscar result was not ideal.

BabyS: hahahaha!! Thats true! Actually I wanted to make in Europe or Australia.. But i listened to my friend's mom who claimed she is expert in caculating months for gender. Something like the lunar calender. So i listened to her, so make in SG but still got a boy! hahaha..nonetheless, i am still happy!
happy.gif

Eileen: Can the condition be solved by surgery? Pls be positive n be happy!

Rachyo> I think 16k+ is the max that I have seen so far.

Need help on how to teach hubby not to think of all the baby bonus!!!
I keep asking my hubby to save more but all he say is this is all I have how to save more?
Then he will say got baby bonus what whats there to worry?
According to my calculation he should have more to save about another $300 on top of wat he is saving. so I wan him to save the money up too but cannot seems to be able to win him over how???

Poky, its not my 1st but 3rd child. Dont worry too much ya.. ur bb will be fine
happy.gif

Diorly, they will operate the bb upon delivery and hopefully they r able to close up the bb abdominal wall.

Baby S: sounds v true. My baby was made during my year end Australia holiday. haha...

$16k plus sound v ex. My #1, bill came up to $7k. Cash portion only $2.5k, remaining paid by cpf. so i guess i will set aside $5k for delivery. $2.5k for confinement. $500 on confinement food ingredients. post natal: $700

Set aside $10k should be enough.
happy.gif

Meililone: you tell your hubby baby bonuses meant for the baby lah.. hehe.. i wun touch that sum. I will deposit it in CDA account to pay for baby medical expenses/ vaccinations/ infant or childcare services. think its fair lah..

Hi Poky, you are from the East? No,dont have Bus No.5 here. Good luck for the amnio & think positive that everything will be just fine.
when is ur EDD? you intend to deliver @ tmc?

Rachyo, u delivering at mt.A? when is ur EDD? My friend's wife just delivered at mt.a. natural w/ epi, single deluxe room, total about $8K.
Confinement, if u go through agency, is about $2.1-2.5K.

As for confinement herbs, not too sure. sorry cant help.

Eileen: stay positive.. I watched a show on discovery home and health, "deliver me" and one of the patient's baby has the intestine outside too. But i nv watch the ending cos my hubby insist that i changed channel. But i think the baby is fine after delivery.

For hospitalisation. I totally ruled out Mount A cos i have very bad experience when I undergo my D&C 2 years ago. I woke up with blue black all over my neck and it was swollen for a few days. The anesthetist says its common cos of my jawbone but I have no such problem when I undergo another surgery to remove my cysts in another hospital. I can only say the anesthetist's skills sucks! The nurses in Mount A are quite nice but the lousy anesthetist ruins everything.

As for Dr Joycelyn Wong. I remember she has a quota for each month. If exceeds then she cannot take in new patients for that month. I really like her too. Very informative and detailed. Must quickly call and ask if u want to go to her.

Hi ellen, i bought e pigeon manual pump @ less than 100bucks. But tat was 6 years ago. Have not start checking on e price yet. M considering to go to e mother & baby fair over e weekend to check out e prices of bb items. How r u so far? Still fully bedrest?

Hi ladies, last week i was still saying tat i cant feel bb movement. Tis week, for past few days, i m able to feel my bb movements. It always happened at same timing at nite while i m sitting down comfortably on my rocking chair watching tv programmes. I would feel his movement always at e left side of my tummy for few seconds n might up to a minute or so.. i remembered my #1, i can only feel such movements after week 20.

Have a great weekend everyone!!!

melilone: maybe u could tell ur hubby the baby bonus will only be credited on certain months provided they have received ur complete application.. my experience was.. i only receive my first payment when my daughter is 1yrs old.. cos they lost my forms twice.. haha.. n when baby is young we need lots of $ for their medications.. my daughter's 6k already spent when she is 2yrs old.. cos whenever she sees a doc (at SBCC) its ranging frm 200+ to 300++.. plus all the childcare arrangements ($1100 per mth) its eating this account up.. so in the end it doesnt last long.. fyi my gal only starts childcare at 2yrs old.. so basically 5mths later all baby bonus used up (total $12k n the other $4k we received) haha.. scary rite.. so nw basically i will try to save as much as possible to prepare for rainy days.. lol

yuki: my edd is on 17 aug haha.. wah 8k is alot.. but thats before medisave deductions rite? i think after medisave aso must pay at least $3k liao..

caterine: i think $10k is enough.. v xiong rite.. all need $$$.. faint..

Agree with Rachyo. My 14 mth old son seldom fall sick. just vaccination packages and a few trips to a PD @ kids clinic or SBCC already cost $1k. i only gonna let him enter childcare at 22 months after my maternity leave ends. The remaining $11k can only last him for 15 mths. The whole CDA account of $12k (we fork out $2k, baby bonus $4k, govt match $6k) can only last my son up till 3 years old.

$$ v small one lah.. baby bonuses of $6k doesnt really help much, further more it's break down into 3 instalments. but better than nothing. still got baby daily expenses to handle (milk powder and diapers).. it's really alot of $$$$...

Rachyo, aug 17th, mine is almost 2 weeks later.
he told me Medisave only cover about $3k.

Serene,how many weeks are you now? do you know the gender of your baby? i've yet to feel the movement of the baby, coz i think still in the early stage.

so looking forward to feel the baby movement, must be something fascinating & wonderful....
hope that day comes soon....

Eileen n poky: All the best to your amnio! I may oso need to do amnio ultimately.

I m oso having my no.3, Oscar result borderline cos NT scan shows neck skinfold is 2.6mm. I decided to be positive n wait for detailed scan to see the next step of action.

Btw, have anyone of u starting taking tonics like bird nest or Cordecepys (dcc). I forgotten when can start taking tonics. Yesterday juz went mkt to buy a special belly pot to make chicken essence to drink. Didn't know there is such pot available until the chicken seller told. Makes the steaming process convenient.

catherine: yeah $$ really v small.. suddenly everything is gone..

yuki: wah $3k only.. faint.. $5k+ to pay.. faint leh..

choc: u must jiayou too! sometimes test is not accurate de.. my god bro's 3rd daughter got some defects but all the scans doesnt show.. but anyway everything is fine nw.. his gal just need to go operation twice (at different age).. so lets stay happy n positive for our baby

for me i started to take birdnest (only drink once in 3days).. my gf said only 5mths above then can start to take tonic cos baby has stabled down le..

Rachyo, glad to hear ur god bro's gal is fine now. Tks. U are right, since nothing we can do now, just stay positive, happy, take good care of ourselves. All these will do our bb good.

Noted abt the taking of tonics. Ok, at least I have a few weeks more to be lazy before bz boiling and steaming tonics. Hehe.

Side track here. I always want to buy the Sakura chicken at NTUC but it always come in a whole chicken. My fren ever told me I can request them to chop the chicken. Does anyone of u know if this is really true?

No counter there n wonder I ask who to chop there.

baby20: ur EDD is very close with Rachyo leh ;)

oh mommies, anyone been to the Harbourfront Baby Fair yet? Compare to the baby expo last week, any diff?

Sure will meet fellow mummies in the ward one. I met some of the fellow aug 2009 mummies when i gave birth at mt a. My girl was neighbours with the fellow smh aug 2009 babies also..

We keep each other updated of our
Admissions and delivery at hospitals lah...
happy.gif

Eileen: it must be difficult for you… stay positive~ all the best for you and your bb~ jiayou!

Yuki: yea i know how it feels to travel… i stay in the west (not the furthest end) and the thought of traveling down long distance for screening really puts me off, so i chose NUH though i very much want to go Mount A. But i do know people who stay as far as Pioneer and still go to Mount A…..

Serene: have been on bed rest this week and today I went for a follow-up consolation after the bleeding episode… doctor gave me 2 more weeks of MC again… haha more rest but think my boss is going to faint LOL

okie i think i will consider getting a manual pump first. I saw a Pigeon manual pump in HK, around SGD $50… i dunno how much is it in SG though LOL

chocpockie: just some advice on cordecepys - nowadays cordecepys are VERY expensive as a lot of people boosts about its health value etc etc (it used to be much cheaper). After seeking advices from many experienced people including my good friend who is a PhD in TCM, she said it's not worth it to take and also no need to take. her words: cordecepys are actually taken when you are very seriously sick/ill, not as a daily tonic. if you take casually, what can you take when *touchwood* you are really ill? so better to save your money on some other tonics...

chocpockie: yeah lets stay happy! hehe.. can ask ur hubby to follow recipe haha let him boil those tonics for u.. must remember to let them serve us while we r still the queen.. :p otherwise their focus will be on our baby liao (just like my hubby lah.. he focus on my elder daughter so much until neglect me hoho..) oh ya.. u can ask ntuc to chop it in pieces but hv to b at the "meat section/counter".. smaller ntuc dnt hv such service.. must check with the staff
happy.gif

yuki: yeah v close leh hehe.. hmm.. im not going the the babyfair cos my fren say not so cheap also.. i will wait for those bigger babyfair at expo :D

Serene: how are you feeling? better get more rest and dont walk so much. take good care yah.
Some of my colleagues do travel far, because they said they will do anything for the sake of the baby. but i feel that travelling far, alone, quite inconvenient. if something goes wrong, will take some time for my hubby to get me coz both of us work at the east too.

Choc: my NT result is way much higher than urs. after doing some research, i realized that the NT is not so accurate coz rely on sonographer skill and also the exact position of the baby. unless ur b-hcg is very high, and low papp-a; also with the absent of nasal bone, then i think doing amnio is ok.but same as u, i'm thinking positive & waiting for detail scan at week 20-22.

Ellen, noted abt the dcc. Tks! Yes, really ex.

Yuki, yes, let's be positive together!!

Rachyo, noted. Will try at NTUC one day !
happy.gif

on expenses: based on my cal, (this is my first baby so i budgeted for quite a lot of things), 8 - 10K should be enough. i'm delivering in TMC and my gynae told me after deduction from medisave need plus minus 2k cash. my husband and i are putting an additional S$1,000 into our joint account each month for the baby on a long term basis...(this is separate from household expenses acct). baby very expensive.. the baby bonus is helpful but definitely not enough to cover. have to fork out extra for maid n confinement lady too..

tonics: i'm not sure when can start to take too. my mum said can take korean ginseng (gao li sheng) cos she was advised to take last time when her pregnancy was unstable (W my brother). i have lots of that at home from my nov/dec korea trip so i take it sometimes. there are some others but i need to consult my mum. she's bringing me to buy from a relative who opens a chinese medicinal hall. i know my crazy cousin splurged 2-3k on tonics from the same relative. don't know what she bought!

chocopockie: yea, really ex siah. my colleague just bought some cordecepys for his wife's confinement, close to $500 for 100g. my mom said the price increased like 10/15 times in the past 10 yrs. So does fish maw... the price increased around 5 times...

Amanda: gao li sheng is very "heaty" (燥)and not everyone is suitable to take, you need to test it out first. start by taking in very small amount (like just a few slices in a bowl of soup) and if you can stomach it, then you can take more often. gao li sheng don't need to use a lot, every time just a bit will do.

one more note on tonic is... the best is if you can consulate a TCM doctor, so the doctor can advise what is your body condition and what kind of tonic to take. a lot of tonic are good but may not be suitable for everyone~

ellen> my gao li sheng is in capsules, in "essence" form. i only take it once or twice a week at most. well according to the koreans, the ones you buy in korea are the 6 years growth type. meaning it's "balanced" and at its best, not heaty and not cooling. supposedly they keep the best in their own country. the rest they sell overseas usually not yet 6 years *shrug*. anyway my body type is more cooling so not so much of a prob. i have taken some almost every other day before i got to know of my pregnancy too.
happy.gif
the korean ginsengs damn expensive by the way. i think we blew about 4k for 2 huge boxes. but can last quite long, i think about 2 yrs if my hubby and i take everyday.

tonics cannot anyhow eat.. i went TCM, he say if i eat tonic, will be even worse. cos im weak plus v heaty. anyhow eat will fall sick easily. so he just prescribe tcm medication to regulate body condition first.

ladies u must be xtra careful when buying cordecepys cos my mum told me tat the ppl in china would boil them n drink the soup.. then they take out the cordecepys n dry it again before selling it to other countries.. its in the news.. so my mum said if i dnt noe hw to buy then i shld not buy.. she scare i kenna cheat haha..

ellen: $500 for 100g is really scary! omg..

i agree with catherine.. tonics better dnt anyhw eat.. at least must ask the medical hall ppl n must tell them ur medical history (high blood, gestational diabetes etc)

During #1 time, i took birds nest from & black chicken soup w/o herbs once a wk from wk20 onwards. During confinement I took home-brewed chicken essence with cordecepys.

this round I started home-brewed chicken essence and chicken soup from wk 10 coz taking care of #1 really drained my energy. Will start on birds nest from wk20. Confinement will not be taking cordecepys coz it's much more expensive now.

As for ginseng, do check with TCM / gynae before taking. My gynae told me to avoid all ginseng as it might cause bleeding.

Amanda: actually if not 6 yrs then those are not gao li sheng liao.. and it's the process they do after harvesting the "sheng" at 6 yrs that make it less heaty etc... since you buy from reputable Korean brand then quality is assured, and you have been eating with no problem then can continue~ and for many people there is such thing of 虚不受补 ... so they cannot eat gao li sheng...

Catherine: very true... cannot anyhow eat... it's better to let TCM doctor to assess what your condition then advise on what tonic to take. if dunno then can only take those very general stuff...

Rachyo: really... dun waste our precious $$ like that..

Back