(2013/05) May 2013

Blue_Cloud, I went to parent craft centre at Mount Alvernia for help on my blocked milk ducts. milk couldnt flow out and it was causing me so much pain. the lactation consultant massage and hand express my milk out for over an hour patiently. she taught me the massaging methods and was very encouraging. FYI, i paid $60+ for that consultation. you might want to call and make appointment and they will teach you how to latch the baby also.

Bebe: my bb is 8 weeks old. I have the same problem as you. I have to hold her straight up over my shoulders until my arm and back is breaking. Now she sleeps on the rocker at night rather than the cot. I am doing ebf. I latched her until 1week ago I realized she always throw up after latching. If I bottle feed her ebm she won't throw up so often. I think cos I bottle feed her in an upright position while when she latches she is kind of lying flat. And she latches for hours! I think cos of her discomfort she finds comfort by latching.

babysmurf - wow! I have the same situation as u except tat my bb latch 10min n slp. recently, I find that bb latch n after that throwing up can b one of those reasons
1) overfull, especially she do cluster feeding in evening
2) latching position. she latch left better than right side
giving her bottle will reduce her vomit n gassy but its tiring to express every 3-4hr
sad.gif

Tiny123: I'm supplying my babies wf FM too. Esp at night cos it is faster..
happy.gif

Littlebabysmurf: my supply for both sides r aso different. Super sian..

Dreambig: I'm have the vaccination in polyclinic cos it is cheaper.. If u choose 5-in-1 vaccination n hep b in polyclinic, it is free.. I did ask e nurse in polyclinic, they mentioned tt those 5-in-1 or 6-in-1 vaccination will cause bb to have fever. They will give fever medicine for bb..

I love babies: what milk bottles r u using? Initial my bb boy aso refuse to latch after I start feeding milk bottle (cos CL is feeding at night).

Littlebabysmurf: my bb aso vomit out milk.. I'll still burp bb half way during latching or feeding them with BM / FM..

Dreambig: I learn that to increase BM, u hav to pump constantly every 3 hrs n the supply will increase. Cos ur brain will assume tt ur demand is every 3hrs. Dun wait till breast is full to pump. However I didnt do the 3hrs pump cos bz wf bb and my maid will only arrive in 1-2 wks time. hopefully wf her help, I'll start the 3hrs pumping to increase the supply.

Poo: both bb hav not poo for 3 days le.. Abit worry.. I aso give them water to drink cos I've give them FM plus the weather is bad but bb still dun poo..

Azel, glad to see u here again.
happy.gif
i m using avent natural bottles. Bb is getting better wf bottlefeeding now. Although h. Is Still unwilling to use Bottle, he Can take 2 oz wf lesser struggle now.

Dear mummies, I am a first-time mum and I have 6 weeks old who gets hiccups pretty often, in fact after each feed.

Wanna seek advice if he can be given water yet?

Thanks
happy.gif

Oren - it is not advisable to give any water other than bm /formula in the first 6 month

The hiccup wun bothers the baby anyway
happy.gif

Bebe, thanks for your advice! My bb oso seems to be having phlegm other than hiccups.. So was considering giving him some water. But think will hold for now then...

Seeking advice from mummies again - thanks for your help!

As my bb doesn't latch so I am fully dependent on pump... I am wondering will my milk supply stop/slow down if solely depend on pump to express milk?

I love babies: yes hav been v bz with the two babies.. Not enough rest.. *yawn*.. good to hear that he is slowly getting used to the bottle.. Ok I will try to give them warm water in the morning.

CS: hiccups is v normal, I'll latch my bb awhile to stop the hiccups, you can try giving abit more bm to stop the hiccups. Sometime my bb hiccups disappear after burping.. You must pump out ur milk regularly n on time, then ur milk supply will not stop / decrease. However if you dun pump regularly, your milk supply will decrease.

Hi mummies, can anyone share how much milk your little one is drinking right now and at how many weeks old? Sometimes it gets a little worrying not knowing if mine is getting enough milk. At coming 9 weeks old, She's only drinking 70ml at every 2-3hrs.

Thanks Azel for your advice! Yup, I will pump regularly
happy.gif

Will milk supply slow down if baby doesn't stimulate through nibbling?

Hi Peileng, my baby is coming to 7 weeks old and he drinks breastmilk from bottle abt 100ml/2 hours or 120ml/3 hours.

Hi CS, thanks! Seems like my baby is drinking really little. Thats worrying but her pediatrician thinks her weight gain is ok and deem her as doing really well. Shes prematured by 3 weeks and is born rather low weight at 2.2kg though. Wonder if we should chart her growth by her chronological or gestational age?

Peileng - from what I was told by my PD and friends is that every baby is different. I also sometimes question if my boy is being overfed, so sometimes we give him 80ml/2 hours instead of his regular 100ml, but he ends up hungry... I guess as long as your girl poos regularly and gains weight gradually, then it's fine.

How's her weight now? Is she on formula or bm?

CS, she's on formula. Her weight taken last week is 4.4kg. Yup,i guess as parents we tend to worry the little finest thing for our little one. :p

Bebe and babysmurf
Reflux problem seems better after I changed the bottle and we also dragged the feeding time to 3hourly instead of 2. Pd did advised that baby dun need to drink water but at times Mil gave abit if baby fuss before the feeding .

Peileng

Maybe u can try this calculation
150 x baby's weight /number of feeds per day (lower intake)
200 x baby's weight/ number of feeds per day(higher intake)

Hi Mummies,

Congrats on the birth of ur little ones. I'm a Sept mummy and I'm looking for a confinement lady. Does anyone have good confinement lady to recommend? Pls PM me.

Peileng: my bb r going to 8 wk.. They r drinking 90mL.. I aso worry that they do not get enough milk, but I guess it depends on individual bb n their weight.

CS: I'm using medela freestyle. It has stimulating function. Wat pump r u using?

Peileng - I was under the impression that formula is more filling compared to bm, so 70ml may be ok afterall. Another way is to up her dose gradually, say 5ml more for the next feed, then 10ml... If u would prefer your gal to gain more weight.

My boy was 2.935kg at birth, now 5+kg at 7wks, hence I sometimes ''play cheat' and gives him 80-95ml if he wants to be fed every 2 hours, instead of his usual 100ml, attempting to slow down his weight gain...

Azel - I'm swopping usage of two brands/models , one of which is Medela Mini Electric Plus, which is a hand-me-down from my aunt and the other is the new Avent Comfort Double, which feels more comfy to use when I feel engorged...

Q: Anyone thinking of sending their babies to BabySpa?

Hi fat fat, which bottles are you using now? Did you increase volume when you changed feeding from 2 hours to 3? My baby has the silent reflux.

CS - I sent mine to baby spa already. I went to plaza sing. My twin1 enjoyed it! My twin2 slept most of the time. But The people who enjoyed most ... Are us the parents. They look so cute! And their expressions - priceless ! I had a lot of fun taking pictures and playing with them. But if you asked me.... If babies really know what's happening? I doubt it. I also don't think there's all the benefits they list... Get rid of wind... Etc. I think it's expensive. Especially I have two babies. So I didn't sign any package. Just 1 time trial.

Hi Fat fat - thanks for the calculation formula!

CS - ya im also thinking of sending my baby to the babyspa. I think she would love it since she enjoys her daily bath moments.

Is anyone using the avent natural bottles? It seems like my baby always have an issue with the last 20ml of her feed. it doesnt seems to flow out that smoothly when she sucks . Maybe thats why she is not taking as much milk as she should.

Leen
l Change from Avent to Dr Brown, my elder one was using that last time but bought Avent for my baby instead.still think that Dr brown is better.
Yup increase 10ml-15ml. From about 80ml 2 hourly to now 95ml 3 hourly. In between feed grip water or plain water if she fuss.

U r welcome peileng

Leen and Peileng - I brought my boy to BabySpa at Nex today and he totally enjoyed it
happy.gif

And Leen, you are right! We parents are the one who enjoyed the most, as indeed seeing my boy happily kicking in water and on the neck float looks super adorable!!! But he didn't enjoyed the massage which I thought he might, luckily it came free as I signed up the package.

Peileng.. I am using Avent natural bottle too, and yes it's frustrating to see some milk still stuck in the bottle. And I thought it to be such a waste especially I spent so much time pumping and expressing the milk... Sigh! But my hubby says it's a good bottle cos of the bottle nipple...

CS, how long is the babyspa per session?

Do you mummies wake your little one up for milk when the hour has reached or let them sleep until they want to wake up for milk?

I let my gal zzz till she 自然醒 unless its more than 3hrs then instead of patting her back to lala land I let her wake up and drink.

Any idea will certain brand of FM cause bb to have more wind in tummy?

Peileng - the swim is abt 20 mins for first timers, subsequently can be 30-45 mins according to the staff...

My baby used to be a light-sleeper, max slept 1.5 hours, now thankfully he takes longer naps in the day, i.e over 2 hours, unless he sleeps over 4 hours then I will wake him up for feeds. Usually he doesn't sleep over 4 hours for day naps and during nights...

My baby can now sleep for 5-6 hours through the night without waking up for feed but i thought i should wake her up though. The duration without milk seems abit long for her age now, and especially she doesnt drink as much during her feed

Dear mummies, I am a new mummy and my bb is 7 wk old. My bb also sleep for 5-6 hours through the night and sometime even during the day. She is drinking 130ml/3-4hrs for now.

Wendy - r u feeding bf or formula?

My bb is 8wk. Feed 90ml n fall asleep. I feed her every 2-2.5hr during day. At night slp for 3hr but always wake up at same time for night feed. Any remedies how to train her to slp through? She is exclusive bf

Dear mummies, need your help if you might recommend your PD? Hopefully one who comes across as patient, caring and relatable..

I am thinking of changing mine as he's a 'hi and bye' PD who always seem eager to end the appointment within seconds...

Thx in advance!

CS I seeing dr Catherine lam From lam baby and clinic at glenagles.

Azel I switch back to BM at night as supply more than baby intake now. But I feel like weaning off as stress of pumping due to me handling baby most of the time..he wanna be carried almost every minute

Hi mummies, how r u all doing?
I have sent my baby to nanny's home as i m going back to work soon. But the Babysitter doesnt really want to feed him my expressed breast milk coz too troublesome. Any of you r facing this problem too?

Thank you Vi and Tiny123 for the recommendations!

I've switched to a new PD...

Q: Anyone taking or continuing jabs at polyclinic? I've decided to bring my boy to continue his 3rd month jab for 5-in-1 at polyclinic since it's free...

I m takjng the jabs at polyclinic. ...mandatory jabs are free. oprional r cheaper too...
for example rotavirus. ..polyclinic is 90..I went to a few gp...they quoted me 170-270, exc consultation! !!!
can imagine pd liao. ...

Hi I love babies,

I think you should insist to feed your baBy with express milk at the nanny's place and share with her that it's not that inconvenient unless she is doing night feeds. Don't stop bm because of that.

tiny123: that is a good headache. Dun start weaning so early since your supply is good.. I understand the prob of pumping and carrying.. How abt latching ur bb directly? I had this prob (carrying for two weeks).. Now I tried to put them on bed after they doze off in my arms, but it is a 50% chance cos they may wake up once I placed them on the bed.. You can train ur bb de.. Jia you!!

I love babies: u r going back to work so soon!?!? You took all 16 wk of ML? I guess you have to convince her that you want ur bb to drink breastmilk.. But if you give the nanny breastmilk only, she still hav to feed ur bb breastmilk right? Mayb you wan to prepare the milk in bottles so she dun need to pour, she only need to heat up the milk..

CS: I'm aso bring my babies to polyclinic for vaccination.

Hi Vi

No it does not include consultation but I was already there for the pneumococcal jab and made an impromptu decision to go ahead with rotavirus.

Dear mummies - thanks for sharing! Looks like going to the polyclinics seems to be a good choice, with the free and cheaper jabs.

How about the waiting time at polyclinic and would the nurses be able to provide sound advices on jabs info, e.g what other jabs can be taken at what month.. Any fever, multiples jabs at every appointment, and more importantly if they might be experienced to administer the vaccinations?

Any not-so-good experiences to share?

Thanks mow & azel. In fact i was quite attempted to stop bm coz i still cant provide enough bm no Matter how hard i tried. What's more, i have no place to express bm at office.

Ebm: how you all warm up yr bm? I put it in warmer n i takes 5-10 mins to be ready to feed. My Boy s too hungry to wait sometimes. how long can it be kept in the warmer? 2 hours?

ML: Azel, not So "soon" actually, will be back to work almost one month later. I wont use up 16weeks at one go. Set side some for emergency.
happy.gif

Hi Bebe

Sorry for the late reply. My girl is having bm during the day and fm in the nite. I dun hv any remedy but she usually go to bed quite late therefore I will give her the last feed at about midnite.

Cs, u call and made appt. then u do not haf to wait. For the first visit, u might haf to do one additional step which is to register ur details. Subsequent visit is very fast.
E nurse will give u a copy of the jabs schedule. And after each jab, they will ask u to make apps on the spot for the next visit.
If u haf taken 5in1 outside, the poly clinic will not accept u for subsequent. U can call their hotline to Chk. I called a few times, their customer service r good...at least I feel they ans my queries well.

Also, u can use cda to pay for those optional....FYI.

I love babies, my avent bottle warmer takes about 5 mins for the dr brown big bottle which is already quite long in my opinion. The avent bottle would take only 4 mins. I used to own a brandless bottle warmer and it takes 8 minutes so I switched to avent.

Back