(2012/12) Dec 2012

For my #1, no matter how much I tickle him, pinch his nose, undress him, he can still be sleeping lor! I exhausted all methods!

I heard that freestyle mimics the suckling of baby. Think the suction for PIS might be too powerful for some.

Baby was carried to me to be latched in the delivery ward after they cleaned him up.

Btw anyone deciding between TMC and Mount Alvernia?

JLJ/Catherine, go get the breastfeeding book written by a senior lactation consulant at Mount Alvernia Hospital. I think can find this book at some book stores too? That is a very good book. Is like my wu ling mi ji! I'll try to find the pic and post here later. Must really have determination and perseverence if you want to suceed in bf coz it's not easy for the inital period and many times I also thought of giving up, I think hb support is also very important. If your hb doesn't know the importance of bf, he will discourage you to bf when he sees you suffering in the first month, then you will be easily convinced to give up. But believe me, once you persevere, you sure will suceeed and find bf is like ABC. bf will be very easy after maybe 1 month of suffering? coz your breasts will auto work for the style you want by then. Recalling my bf experience I had for the initial days was very scary too. I hope this time round it will be easy for me.

sun_tan, I told the nurses when I was admitted to hospital that I am on TOTAL bf and I want to latch my bb at the very first possible chance after delivering. I think Mt. A. being a very pro-bf hospital knows my concern and help me with it. My gynae left after finished sewing me and after the midwives cleaned the bb, they carried the bb on me and teach me how to latch (gynae already left), so only midwives, hb and me looking at how to latch the bb. They undressed me and help me wear my own pyjamas after they cleaned the baby. I couldn't remember what I was wearing when I first latch my bb, but I remembered the midwives/nurses were very helpful and help me at all stages. When I first saw my son latch on so nicely and did a great job I felt so happy loh that he is a good sucker. haha.

sun_tan, actually I can't remember, but I recall it was quite easy to pull down the surgery gown but no need to undress totally. The nurses will help if you encounter any difficulties.

MaMaling, did you have epidural? I heard some bb born very sleepy due to epidural effect. Maybe I am lucky my baby is good in sucking, so that help made my bf journey easy. When the midwives saw how my boy suckle, they all comment he was good and I sure won't have problem in my bf career. True enough, I don't have any problem with him latching. Only had a few struggles with confusion of bottle-nipples during the first two months coz I gave too much bottle feed during the 3rd/4th week as I needed to rest, thus express out and ask mil/hb to feed in bottle. But I later managed to train him back to 24/7 latch again. *phew*

sun_tan, just tell the nurses u wanna latch bb immediately after deliver then let the nurses help u with it. No need think so much about the gown, by then you won't have strength to think abt it too coz all concentration is on bb le. hehe...

Catherine, you can book hospital tour and go see which hospital you like best. But I heard Mt. A. is currently under renovation. Not sure when will fully complete renovation.

Yes I had epidural. In fact, epidural helped me relax and hasten the birth process. I could rest and take naps, conserve all my energy for the pushes! Before the epidural was administered, I was so tensed up that I was dilating really slowly.

Hopefully my BF attempts for #2 will be successful this time round. Actually I had regrets about not being able to BF #1 longer, so hopefully #2 will make up for this regret.

I BF until nipples bleed. How did you overcome that? Do you continue to BF?

JAJ, I must learn all about BF from you and the other mummies!

Good to have lot of pro bf-ing mummies to be here..
We an encourage each other on the way..
I hav tried several pumps and swear by my freestyle and avent manual to clear blocked ducts..
regarding CL.. it is impt to get a good one.. if possible, book one early, and beware of cons. previous mummy group, a few got conned.. =( placed depsit but mia..

Would recmmend "What to expect when u are epecting" the book is my bible, tgt with the ip app... =)

Mama Ling (mama_ling)
I bf till 6 mths only, and regretted not doing it for a longer period of time. This time must latch, last time i ks... wana see the quantity i yield and bb feeds. hehe ..

JAJ, ic, thanks! Luckily i am choosing Mt A too. Ya will request to bf bb straight away this time round. 1st time i was too tired from the delivery. Went into hospital midnight and only delivered at 6am+..no epi..totally shacked out, thus didnt request to latch immediately.

Mama Ling, how long did you managed to bf your #1. Dun worry, i am sure #2 would be much easier since the breasts alr seasoned. Not sure if it helps, but i think i will start to eat more fish when i go into 3rd trim. Fishes are suppose to promote more bm ss.

Mommies or mommies-to-be, we should encourage each other to bf. So many benefits from it: best and fastest way to slim dwn, healthy for bb and save alot of $$, fm is so damn ex for stage 1 and 2..

wow so many posts ... took some time to read (scan) thru.

I got a freestyle and avent manual. when i returned to work after my ML, my colleague loaned me her avent electric to pump at home and i used freestyle to pump in office.

#1 was not TBF, he was on partial BF and FM. Managed to BF him for only 6.5months. I am striving to TBF this time round.

Sun_tan
I ust agreed with u, my son is on stage 2... ad ever 3 days, he finishes a 400gm tin... Hao Gui ah

Pommes
Remb the brrr brrr brrr of the FS? Hahha
I emb i used to eat/sleep/play/fb/surf with the brrr brrr brrr sound...

sun_tan, I only managed to bf him for 3 months, stopped before I went back to work. Part of the reason was also he was having reflux, every time after I bf him he will merlion.

Pommes, I intend to upgrade #1 to a booster seat. But I have not figured out how to position the booster and infant car seats as well.

Mama Ling, ic, 3 mths is better than nothing
happy.gif
For booster seat, the kid must be how old.

Another way is to put a car seat (#1) at the front passenger seat then I will sit behind with #2.

1 at each side with me in the middle ba. LOL
#1 will be 18 month old when #2 pops... cannot booster yet right?
Also, how do u all intend to carry #2 out with #1?
Sling #1?
Carrier #1?
Pram #1 and #2 (Good excuse to buy phils and teds =p)
Currently my son sits in his Buzz...
Planning to get a maclaren for him..and leave buzz for #2

Audrey, think hard to go out alone with 2 kids. Wait till older? In the meanwhile, hubby must be ard when gg out with 2 kiddos. Now training my #1 to walk more (always asked us to carry). Hopefully by next Jan (would be 30 mths then), can walk independently and not asking to be carried too often.

Kidomum, ic thanks, then will have to wait..

Talking about bf,
I bf my #1 till he was 8ths old; no. 2 till he almost 1 yr old, tiring but can loose weight very fast if bf

On BF, my #1 I had problem latching too and I remember a lot of my friends on the forum also had problems. My word of advice is "just be happy". Because we just give birth, a lot of adjustments and a lil baby to take care. The most impt thing is to be happy and relax. No need to especially stress over anything. This is my view lah! I just diligently pump until 6 months then give up.

I was using freestyle last time. Works well for me. Shld bring it out to see if it is still working!

Car arrangement: My #1 will sit in front with daddy. #2 will sit behing with me. This is my plan. But we need to bring car to workshop to remove the airbag nearing the date. Anyway, now, no one sits in front. The prob is my #1 still grumbles when sitting in car seat.

Maid: This is one of the prob I foresee if get maid. Where does she sit in the car? Still trying to think if need maid or not. But unlikely, dont feel ok to leave 2 kids with her alone at home.

CL: I also have trouble with my first one. I had problem latching. Then she super sacrastic, whenever #1 cries, she keeps commenting "so poor thing, must be hungry, never eat properly". I feel so victimisied. Keep hiding in my bedroom the whole day, pretending to sleep, waiting for my DH to come home, only come out to eat lunch. She also never take care of my baby. Everytime cries, I will go over and take care cos she takes so long (I wonder if she is just lazy) and she never attempts to take over from me. I still have to do our house's laundry myself. Luckily I have part-time housekeeper. And my CL just read my magazines and watch TV in the day. Needless to say, she doesnt wake up at night. My DH sacked her after 2 weeks. But I still need to get a CL cos lil family support and I need help. Fingercrossed I can get a good one this time. In fact, I intend to get CL for 2-3 months, so I can keep some sanity.

Taking care of #1: I have to say my DH is really super hands-on so he shares a lot of my load and it is not so bad for me. Of course, with all boys, he everyday also iPad, play his PS, sleep into late morning (weekend). But he still quite auto. I think when it comes to taking care of baby, I already think it is tough. Nothing to complain. But it feels better that my DH helps out a lot so I dont feel so unbalanced. haha! it is all in the mind.

mamaling, first two weeks nipples sure sore, bleed (for me maybe not much, did u over pump it?) coz nipples still sensitive and getting used to the latching/pumping. Once after your nipples season, you won't have bleeding/sore/pain problem anymore. I only feel shiok when my boy latch on coz he is relieving for my full/engorged breasts! hehehe... Try using nipples cream after every latch and pump. Buy Avent or Lansinoh which is safe for bb to bf. I just apply nipple cream diligently and bite my teeth and endure through it. Sure can do de. I always tell myself, if other mummies can do it, I also can do. I think that's how I motivate myself and make myself suceed ba. Till now I still latching my bb once-twice a day, but my son now will tell me "no more" when there's no more milk. SS really miserable now.

oh, forgot to answer u just now sun_tan, I latch my bb very fast after 2 months, he only take 7-10 mins to finish latching. First month more tiring, he latched every 15 mins on one side.

alluring, i am thinking to squeeze maid + me + #2 behind..no choice. oh dear, ur CL really sounds horrible! So irresponsible. Actually I wasnt on TBF too. My ss wasnt enough so its partial fm and partial bm, but i persisted and managed to give partial bm to #1 till he was abt 15 mths old. My CL is good. She took care of my #1 fully during my 1 mth confinement and keep chasing me to go and rest/nap. Even for night feeds were also done by her and she still gives #1 bm at night. Heard that some CL insisted that they give fm to bb at night so that can last them longer so they themselves no need to keep waking up to feed the bb.

Alluring, maid can sit at the back with you and #2? It's really good to have a CL for 2-3 months.

JAJ, I wonder if it is ok to latch baby when nipples bleed? I used medela nipple cream but don't know why still bleed.

Mrs Heng, the caffeine content is not that high for mocha. Go ahead and satisfy your craving, but try to get a smaller one. I can understand because I was also craving for frapucinno and latte when I was expecting #1.

regarding bleeding nipples, can try applying bm on nipples and wait for it to air dry. work as well as nipple cream.

tks mama ling... ok will go n get it later... me knocking off in 5mins...

see u ladies tomolo ya... try to enjoy your dinner...bye

mamaling, yes, it's ok to continue latch bb when your nipples bleed, but if your bleeding is really bad, then better let your nipple rest while you latch another breast first. Meantime, apply lots of nipple cream to that injured nipple. Even if your ebm has abit pinky stain of blood is okay to give bb, but not those red milk lah. You can try to google for more assurance. That's what I heard and learnt from experience BF mummies.

Mrs. Heng, 1 cup of coffee a day is okay, go for it!

Coffee: Last Thursday's papers (mind your body section) talked about drinking coffee for MTMs. Basically, in moderation. In fact, the article says 1-2 is moderation. In my line of work, I cannot do without coffee. My gynae said is fine, but for #1, i do starbucks de-caf all the way. Now #2 plus this article, I think i will slack off a bit and do one cup of normal kopi a day (I need 2-3 cups a day!!).

And I am shopping online for my new set of maternity wear already! LOlzz!! My DH is going to nag me later. Cos my old set still rather recent. My #1 is only 16 mths old. haha!!

Here's the BF book I am talking about. think it costs $20 per book? But definitely worth it for first time mummies.
6950570.jpg

chubbyfingers: cheese burger, u make me drool lei..

suntan: i only tempted to my 1st appt
happy.gif

JAJ (nikiko) : i feel shioked to be relived from engorgement too,,

ladies, i have some brown discharge today, hmm its like those normal daily discharge we have each day but today are abt more. no pain, no bleeding and no cramps..

can anyone guide me?

@kong kong, I had some brown discharge in my 5th week for about 3 days. Keep a lookout if there are any red discharge. Go see your Gynae ok. Mine gave me a jab and it stopped. I was also given 2 days MC to rest.

This kuromikk n chubbyfingers, will go to those websites to take a look.

Catherine, you can buy those which can last till 3rd trim. Ie for bottoms, those with inbuilt extension so can loosen when tummy gets bigger.

Kong kong, dun think should be of any concern. Monitor n see if becomes more.

kuromikk: yours is those normal daily brown discharge onli? Ok thanks.. If got red discharge I will c gynae immediate. U take care

Sun tan; thanks I just read in banycentre.co.ko that it is normal to have excess of those daily discharge.. Not unless
With bleeding, foul smell n discharge in other color

Ladies the trend is moving so fast!! Trying to catchup

Hoping any ladies not well recover soon
Hoping those w foul mood stay happier for own n bb sake

Also thanks all for sharing precious guidance

halo everyone!
happy.gif

Happy to join this family here. Just back from my 1st appt & gynae estimated that i am 7weeks 2days from the length of the baby (my menses is irregular). Amazing to hear the heartbeat for the 1st time. Hubby & I were so delighted to know things are looking pretty good for the little one.

My EDD is 8 Dec, Baby #1, Hospital: TMC, Gynae: Dr Benjamin Tham, Gender: TBA

My next appt is 4 weeks from now & will be doing the OSCAR test. Will be going for a trip this sat for 2 weeks, hope everything will be fine during the trip.

Ladies although im ard 6 week

I think I can feel bb heartbeat when I place hand on tummy
Have yet to went for 1st appt n friend say heart not develop so fast

M I hearing / feeling the wrong things?

Back