(2012/05) May 2012

rycia, I delivered at 9pm, second baby so super fast, adminted at 3pm and less than 6 hours labor. haha, my VIP labor room is even more comfortable than the ward. my hubby slept for 3 hours as the sofa is bigger.

My girl was having same situation as yours. cuz she kept on sleeping for the first few days, and i few cruel to wake her up for feeding.

for pumping, try not to do too frequently, if you stimulate too much, you will have less supply and more frequent let down.

Hi rycia,
Thank u so much for sharing & ur encouragement, let jiayou together for e benefit if our little ones
happy.gif

sorry bearycue, what i meant is per pumping session the supply will be lower.

and think to increase supply, really need to rest well, drink more fluid and be happy. i cried badly when my girl suffer from colic. end up that night i had no milk, breasts are empty and nipples are dry.

Hi,

Any mommies facing same issue as I do, can share how you cope or manage?

- baby is drinking fm. Each feed around 100-110ml
- baby demands for milk everytime she is awake and wants to go back to sleep
- baby refuses pacifier and her hand. Tried to give her pacifier but cries even harder.
- the time interval when she demands for milk can be as little as an hour after the last feed.
- tried to distract her but at times she could be so frustrated that she cries till her face is red.

I just felt so stressed managing her and think i may lost count of her feed if I give her based on her demand.

Anybody with similar experience, could you share?

Koalarie
my boy is on FM also, per feed 90-120ml, if he sleeps right after the feed for 2-3 hours, can feed again 3 hours later.. but if not, he will play for 1 hour then sleep for 1 hour, the moment he wakes up, ask for milk again, so usually feed every 2 hours..

but sometimes around 1 hour 30-40 mins have to feed cuz he cry badly for milk, tried giving water, or use other ways to distract him, no use at all...

what i notice is that he poo and pee a lot, last time #1 use all kinds of cheaper diapers during the day and only on mamypoko at night, but this boy have to use mamypoko whole day lor.. and his diaper is always heavy with his pees, and can poo up to 8 times a day..

the worst feeling is when i am almost done with one feed, he poo alot and make me feel that i have to give him milk all over again..

he's fat for sure, born on May 31 at 3.4kg and now not even full month, more than 4.3kg already. also no idea how but really which to drag his feed to 3 hours..

Pricilla, I pumped 250ml that morning cos I overslept n forgot to pump! My usual supply is 160-180ml, if heng heng, can get 200ml.

Really v tired, wonder when can all these end?

Let's all jia you for those pumping mummies!!

I've just started my daughter with her first FM feed and hope that she can sleep longer than waking up every 2hrs for feed. And I think bcos of lack of sleep, my supply has been dropping... Anyway, I'm doing the best of what I can and I think my stocks should last for another 3 wks bah

Zp: u alr stock up on the ebm? 3 weeks supply is alot!
Was wondering when should I start to stock up the ebm for future use after we are back to work. Any experienced mum care to share?

I was having colic for past few days! Luckily not my baby though, the feeling is really no good, sudden pain on tummy, come and go, on different location everytime.

mihoger:
Hmm... you sounded more "milk cow" then I! I didn't pump in first month, do exclusive latching, so less things to worry about. And it established my supply. Then come second started to pump a bit, and yeah, I kinda "starve" her abit to start storing the first bottle of EBM. Then things get better.

right now I'm pumping extra 1 glass bottle of BM per day, usually just right after (or before) baby wakes in the morning. Which can be 5am or 7am. I find it good timing cos my breasts are full, and if baby have not latch yet, I'll pump only 6 min, so that still got enough for her when she wakes. Otherwise, feed her first, then pump for 15 min, usually still got 100ml left. But the rest of the day is just catching up whatever she's drank.

maybe you can try getting a electric pump? When my breast are full, it can take as little as 6 min to pump, ended up I spent more time preparing and washing up. And it take a total 1 hour, I can imagine you will have to spent like 2 hour to prepare, pump and wash up. Then it's almost time to pump again!

I was having problem getting my gal to drink from bottle, she will cry and cry and even if she can finish (90ml in 2 hours?) she will still wanna latch on.

Bearycue: I hv big nipple too, thanks to my #1 who changed the shape. My nipple is as big as her mouth, so got to stuff it inside at first, now my baby is 2 mth old, she still fuss at my breast, but can latch much better. I was also taught that our body can only meet the demand a day later, so got to let baby suck to know that there's more demand, then our body will make the "extra" milk later.
I found that drinking hot soup or hot milo helps with my milk supply. But it really depends on people.

ak: Yeah, I started to store milk a bottle a day, going back to work mid of next month (taking 3 month ML first). So by then, hopefully got 30 bottles of spare milk
I didn't do that for #1, so was quite stressed because #1 was finishing my supply everyday.

Im also pumping exclusively with Medela swing single. It's kinda slow, each side 15min and get about 100-130 each session. Any mummies using other brands or models pumps which are more efficient? I read someone pump 5min for full breast, that's v fast!

Any mummies gave pacifier to baby? My baby whines long time during e night before bed and i am tempted to give pacifier which my hubby disallow. Does pacifier affect baby gums/teeth or induce wind or etc?

I built up my supply when daughter was I'm the hospital for the first week due to jaundice. Then when she came back, I pump and store 160ml every session. Butnow, lucky if can get 100ml per session...

Hi Rycia, is motillium effective in increasing the bm supply? How many days does it take to see the results?

My supply is only on average 50-70ml per pump so recently went to gynae to get supplements and she gave me motillium.

baby stirring up at night
any mummy experiencing this? my boy will make a lot of noise after his midnight feed, usually around 4am-6am, sometimes with eyes closed, can last for like almost an hour if i do not attend to him, and he's not in deep sleep. or sometimes he will get louder and louder till he finally cries out and widely awake..

i dun really know the reason and if the time from last feed is long enough, i will just feed him again, or else can carry him for a while and put him back to his cot.. daytime no such issue so far.. any clue?

My baby will wake up at night for feeding lor.. He sure will wake up every 3hrs. If lucky 4hrs. Mostly after feeding, pet him awhile he will go back to sleep.. Unlucky, he can be awake for a while.
Felicia I think ur baby hungry la.

rabbitz: I uses Medela freestyle, it's a dual pump and for full breast can get more than 100ml in total in 5 min, but that's not pump till gosong though. Usually see how much I wanna pump,cos I latch my gal as well.

Pacifier:
It's not so easy to give pacifier! I wanna give pacifier to #2 cos felt that she's using my nipple as pacifier at night, but she dun wan to take it, so after 3 nights, we gave up. So if you wanna try then better try early. We might try again later since she begins to be more acceptable to bottle feed

Priscilla
i thought so too lor, but it happens after his feeding usually, so it's like after the feed he's sleepy i put him down, he starts making noise after 10-20 mins then.. headache....

Felicia, how about swaddling him? Recently I start to swaddle my boy again and he sleeps better. Last time he will make a lot of noise and wake up frequently.

But now my boy has another problem. He will stay awake from 9pm till 12am and start crying non stop and gets cranky. It happened for two nights already. If still happens tonight, I guess he got colic. My nightmare!

Felicia,
Mine same.. Sometimes they just not deep sleep yet.. Have to carry him, pat him, sleep. And repeat it if he wake up again till he deep sleep..
Miss freedom,
If my baby sleep too much in the day, he will be quite awake before 12am... Have to rock or carry him and try to pat him to sleep lor. But my boy will not cry if got ppl carry him..
If u think ur baby got colic, apply oil on his tummy or burp him...

Felicia: my gal also stirs at night, sometimes put of the blue. At first I'll just out of my bed to chk on her, then realised her eyes are closed. Usually will just let her continues her talk unless she gets too agitated or too loud. Then I might pat her or bring her out, cos can't afford to wake my son as well.
However, I find that she can sleep better when shes on my bed. Cos sometimes I feed till I slept and she can sleep well next to me. Just that it's a bit dangerous cost 3yo also loke to sleep w me and he moves a lot

dolly
we are in the same shoes!! my boy can get really loud and i scared he will wake up #1 who is about 3 years old also.. dare not to let him sleep with us cuz #1 will climb to our bed from his cot right next to us around midnight also..

haiz can't wait to move to our new house so can put them into different rooms...

Hi mummies,

Whoever that are using pupsik, can I know how much you pay for it? I was at the pusik website and the dual way one is at $59.90. Is this is the market price or are there any other places that I can get it cheaper?

Thanks
happy.gif

Hi Kelly,
oic..will try to rest more & relax...hopefully supply will increase soon!!! :p

Hi dolly,
Tks for sharing...my bb girl just lick the bm off my nipples or suckle on the tip of my nipples, when i try to open her mouth fully to stuff my nipple in her mouth, she will push away and start to cry loudly!!! Sometimes it really hurt to see her cry and reject me
sad.gif

Mmm...been drinking soup,red dates drink and eating fish but supply still low...hopefully my body can "react" to my bb's need to produce more milk soon!!!!

Dolly, Felicia,
Same as both of u, my #1 is oso abt 3 yrs old...she is super cranky nowadays, duno issit due to the arrival of #2...
#1 is sleeping with us on her single bed while #2 sleep in another room with the condfinement lady & maid, duno shld both sleep in the same room with us after the confinement...scare that if #2 cry in the middle of the nite will disturb #1 who is attending childcare...wat u gals advise huh???

Mummies - I'm drinking the traditional medicine's mothers milk tea to help boost my supply. I find that it works for me. For my #2, when my supply drops, I'll drink the tea and my supply will go back up again. Can buy from iherb or from sellers in the bulk purchase forum.

I'm wondering if mummy here eat alot of sweet stuff and drink alot of canned green tea, would all the sugar content go into my bm and make baby fat?? My boy birth weight 2.98kg, at 6 weeks he is 4.7kg. Growing abit fast don't you think??

Felicia: hehe... wait till then your son might not want to sleep alone.. at first I tried to let my boy sleep w my mum who's visiting me now, he obliged for a few nights and wanna come back to my bed. Then when he was sick, tried to isolate him with daddy, he also wanna come back to my bed. Guess he's jealous or too used to sleep w me.

bb_2012: I got mine 3 years ago during baby fair at the Pupsik store, it's single sided and around $40? But not much choice of colour though. Anyway, is dual way thicker? Isn't it hotter then?

bearycue: Yeah, 3yo is a tough age, still got a lot of tantrum throwing and want to be carried when I'm feeding #2!

My gal sometimes still "complain" when she's latching, and she likes to "push" me during feeding, I'll just press her back towards me and stuff my nipple into her mouth again. After a few times of "complain" she will settle down and continue to suck, or she will just simple don't want to open her mouth. Sometimes I'll just let it be, then just try again next round.

bearycue
think you can try to take this opportunity and train #1 to sleep on her own already. as in since she's already in her single bed, leave her to daddy, you can sleep with #2 at another room after CL left, and ask maid to sleep there also then can help you out at night...

dolly
yup 3 years old still going through terrible two stage lor so still need another year i guess before they can fully understand what's going on, so i really dun like such an age gap between the siblings, very tough on us..

yup my son can sleep in his own cot for now, but he still wakes up around 5am for milk and that's the time he will roll over to our bed and continue sleeping after his milk.. i am enjoying it in fact, to see him sleeping peacefully beside me, LOL, i know hard to train him to sleep in his own room next time but soon he will grow up and wants his own privacy, so, i just let him be for now, LOL..

Felicia, ur bb on full fm? What is the color of his poo?
Now #1 sleep in between us & bb cot in our room.
The elder will get jealous & more cranky..even the child care teachers say so..think that quite normal for them as they still young will want full attention on them

Kris, I'm also drinking that tea.. U drink how many cups per day?

wu py
yup full formula now, stopped BM when i noticed my 90ml of EBM can only last him for 1 hour...

his poo color is like egg yolk, seedy and soft, smells like egg also, LOL

i am not sure leh, cuz by right hor, yellowish and seedy poo should be for BM baby de, but my #1 also like this, so i thought it's not a big deal

BB 2012

I know a seller who is selling at $40 but limite stock. Just got my from her. But it is not to reversible one. Let me know if you want

Hi dolly,
yup #1 still in her terrible 2 stage but good thing she is "sticky" to daddy instead of me but sometimes still throw tantrum and wana be carried by me...told her cannot coz i c-sect #2, but she try to climb on me like a kaola!!!!

Hi Felicia,
#1 single bed is joined to our queen bed so she is used to sleeping with us...maybe like u suggested i'll sleep in the other room with #2 and the maid after confinement while #1 sleep with daddy
happy.gif

bearycue: Yeah, show #1 my bandage when I was discharged from hospital and told him it's painful to carry him. Suddenly notice that my #1 is much taller! Wonder if it's because there's a comparison now. He likes to be carried now, even daddy is complaining.

Upto yesterday my bb poo was still yellow seedy..I thought my bm she suckle well..but at same time i know my bm so little,so cannot be always so nice color..but today poo turn green color thou still have yellow seedy..
Hmm so confusing

Felicia, since u manage to pump 100ml, if I were u, I will continue.. Till now, my max supply only 60ml after 1hr sleepy pumping at midnight, but i'm still trying.. But in my heart I have given up on increasing suppy..
Btw now u no more bm? How u stop milk flow? Don u feel pain? I need to let bb suckle or pump, else I will feel pain like needles poking me..

Felicia, on the bb stirring, I could think could it be due to colic? Sometimes after I burp bb, Half hr or 1hr later, my bb still burp..another could be, after sleeping for sometimes, back is hot so they try adjust their sleep position, but maybe after adjusting they feel more uncomfortable then they cry for help..I often see my bb adjusting her body..then she will make some noise..but after sometime she settle down she will sleep again..

wu py
haha nope my 90ml is pump 2-3 sessions de, usually max about 40ml only, so i stopped.. no pain for me, naturally supply drop when i do not latch on, cuz baby was introduced to milk bottle since he was born, so from the beginning he was not latching on well already..

now still got a bit of milk, but wont even wet my clothes, the most wet the pad a bit only.. first few days feel a bit pain so squeeze the milk out and massage a bit, within 1 week not much milk left already..

thanks for your advice on the stirring part.. colic wise i am hoping not and i don't really think so.. cuz my sis Kelly's 2 girls both have colic and she shared quite a bit with me, baby will cry for no reason nonstop de, for my son so far no such problem, and the malay massage lady taught me how to massage baby with colic, their carve muscle usually will be hard, and i massage my boy so far pretty soft.. after massage he usually fart a lot so hopefully not much wind in his tummy as he burp a lot also..

but yes maybe it's hot, although we have air con on at night, his playpen is pretty hot and everytime i carry him out his back is a bit wet, so will try to make his bed more cooling and see how, haha

Regarding storing EBM

when shld we start freezing our EBM?

currently i hv 10 feeds in the fridge.
i am thinking of freezing some..

anyone can share if we freeze the EBM, when shld we use it cos we shld always use the oldest milk so does it means i always hv to give my bb frozen milk instead of those in the fridge?

Mermaider: according to my sis advise and some of the mummies here. I would freeze the excess that my gal needs. For eg shes drinking 90 ml now, so anything above 90 ml would go to freeze. Since I have quite an amount of ebm available now, so I would probably keep one or two sessions to freeze to build up my milk bank.

Any recommendation on milk storage bag? Currently trying baby one

Below is a good note on storing breastmilk:
http://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/milkstorage/milkstorage/

Mermaider: I've already started freezing milk, baby is 2 months old now. From the above link, since milk can be in the fridge for 8 days, we can use those milk if they can be drank within a week. When there's more milk and my gal is not finishing them on time, I bring some of them into freezer. I'm using glass bottles, so will choose those bottles which is not too full to be freezed. This is because milk expands when frozen, and it will need space. I didn't know last time, and freeze a pretty full glass bottle, the plaster cap broke when the frozen milk expanded.

For now, since I'm still storing milk, I use only refrigerated milk for feeding. However, I'm also not sure how nanny did it last time, I'll just give her whatever milk I have, either in frozen or refrigerated form.

After latching bb, if bb dont cry for more milk, but I know my bm not enough..cos every express only 40-60ml max, if u were me, will u top up with fm?

Hi Felicia,

Thanks for sharing. My girl was born on 17 May at 3.36kg and at 6th week, she is at 4.6kg.

Saw PD yesterday while for her jab and was told to give her milk so long after 2h.

Yesterday, she had a total of 965ml of milk just becoz she could not sleep and wanted to ask for milk to sleep.

I saw some discussions on baby "fussing" at 4-6am. So, it seems to be normal then? Mine is also behaving like this since 3rd or 4th week.

Back