(2012/04) Apr 2012

Cheekyduckie - I don't remember seeing a post here from kinky_mummy before.

Socks order> after this wk let u know. Will know gender by end of wk.

Any of u extra tired? Early morning already fighting z monster

Super tired this morning too. My #2 insisted that she wanted to sleep with mummy last night and she kept tossing in the middle of the night and kicking me! Dark circles are bad today!

Kinky_mummy
I also nv heard of her.

Leobaby
I everyday super sleepy! Esp as i'm sleeping at 12 coz i'm chasing this drama serial. haha.

Then i wake up to pee alot. so weird.. last time this happened only when i was in last trimester!

Greetings from ikea! Sitting next to window at restaurant and furiously typing on my laptop (actually more like falling asleep on it). Feels so like ang moh country hehe

Lol cheekyduckie at the post birth and maternity pad thing. I used a lot of kotex maternity ones. Pink wrapper, sent hubby to buy hehe. After that, switched to night pads.

Time of my life
Me too. Woke up with a shock due to leg cramp 2 nights ago.

Happy sock buying everyone!

Socks order> after this wk let u know. Will know gender by end of wk.

Any of u extra tired? Early morning already fighting z monster

SOCKS BP UPDATE:

- Eliz / MEinME {to be confirmed next Sat} (boys design) To share designs: Johnny and Buffalo
- tangerinez (boys design): whole box Johnny 0 - 12 mths
- Leo_baby (leo_baby) : to confirm design
- ni (ninilicious) : to confirm design

I cant buy any socks yet..still don knw baby gender ley.. Those socks are so pretty n cute! Next week should b able to tell if boy or girl ler
happy.gif

Errr cheekie duckie..i tot b4 u go hospital u can pack wat ever stuff u need correct? I tot if we are not comfortable w the brands tey provides, we can use our own? Correct me if im wrong..because I m a new mummy so I do not knw if the package comes w diapers or maternity pads. Have not sign up for hospital package yet.

Hi Ms Tan,
For TMC during my #1, they just open new pack of diapers n maternity pads to use the moment I got to the ward.even though I used my own pads subsequently, they are still being charged to you n you can bring them home. On top of that, they charged for every pAck of cotton balls, antiseptic, cream used for maintenance of my v wound.
Not sure if you can tell them in advance that u are using ur own pads n diapers, but I think you n hb should be busy n preoccupied with other stuff like well being of baby n mummy after delivery at the suite..thus think wun have time to tell the nurses about this bah...

Hi everyone!!

I have been a silent reader in this thread but finally registered an account so I can start posting. I'm so excited to be here & hope it's not too late to join you all.
happy.gif

A bit of intro abt myself --

EDD - 21st April 2012
Gynae - Dr Jasmine Mohd at KKH Private Suite
Gender - Not known yet as my detailed scan will only be in December
Kids - Its my first pregnancy
happy.gif

PS: Do add me in the secret FB group too!! Hehe.

Ethan_Ethal, are the charges very expensive?

I've been warned by friends of additional charges incurring during hospital stay when delivering baby too, but I'm gonna save myself the hassle & just use what they provide. Besides, I doubt I'll remember to remind the nurses that I'm using my own stuff. Hehe.

Thanks Ethan, I see..that is why some of the mummies here mention tey hav to study the bill after discharge frm hospital.. So many miscellenous stuff tey charge.

How long will the menses last aftet gave birth? I heard it depends on individual..is that true? Mus b v uncomfortable if have it for a whole mth hor?? Signz...

Regarding maternity pads - so u mean even if i bring myself, they will still charge me? gosh! im gng to bring my own sanitary pads since i only use chlorine free organic pads. otherwise i'll buy the kotex adhesive ones. must remember to stock up before april! lol!

So many things to learn ya .. Ha. I heard some mummies use disposable panties. I find it uncomfortable as I ever use it for travel last time.. But again tey say is better to use disposable ones as we bound to stain our panties because of the heavy flow after delivery.. Save the hassle to wash.

Ms_Tan. Yes. U sign up for package. But the package only includes bed, and food if i am not wrong. other consumables are chargable. I am sure you can give instructions of what you want to use, but too much of a hassle. And seriously, you will just want to rest after delivery. Everything else, just leave to the hospital to arrange.
Disposable undies, u can get nice comfy cottons ones! Don't get those paper kind lar. And yes, a lot of bleeding, so might stain. Unless you have a confinement lady to wash for u, better just stick to disposables. My MIL doing my confinement, i think very strange to ask her wash undies. =P

Andreanie: Right after delivery, the nurses just stuff like 2 pads under me. Haha... the loop kind. No idea if there's any underwear or not also. If no underwear, how to use adhesive ones? Anyway, after delivery, u will be confined to bed, the nurses will change for u etc, adhesive might be difficult for them lar.

What Ethan_Ethel said is correct for TMC. Every pack of cotton balls, pads, wipes, etc are all chargable. And all the left overs you can bring home. I brought home everything, except the loop pads. No idea how to use those lar!

Recently I heard someone admitted at Mt E with diabetic condition, each test is charged at $16.50 and she needs to do 6 tests a day! Even you have your own meter, hospital do not allowed! You need to get the doctor to tell the ward.

Andreanie, since you have allergic, let your gynae knows beforehand. Think you can put in the pre-admission booklet.

Me cesarean, gynae will clean up when taking bb out so flow will not be heavy but they still put the Kotex for me. Once I can get up to shower, I used my own adhesive type. Bring home the unused as my massage lady told me she needs it to protect my wound while wrapping.

Usually, they'll give you a diaper bag with the hospital logo packed with some samples FOC. Diaper and wet wipe will be chargeable, bring home when discharged.

I dunno baby's gender yet so cant buy the pretty socks! Onli gg for scan on 12th dec! One more mth! Cant wait to start shopping!

Gynae will give you the letter for pre-admission purpose. Can do that around 30weeks, need to pay deposit $1.3k like the normal hospital stay deposit. Pack that pre-admission booklet in your hospital bag. With that booklet, you can "check-in" immediately upon arrival.

Gingerbreadger
Gynae will arrange. Don't panic
happy.gif

Tangerinez
I think they will go to KK, more bedder kind? I think cheaper if choose those that cannot choose gynae.. whoever on duty..

Hi mummies,
Wow, saw that many of u are registering at the hospital already! That's fast! I wonder what is the procedure at kkh? My next visit is on Monday, hopefully can see gender. I have not arrange for detailed scan yet, which week should we be scanning?

Hi Hanny!
Welcome to our group!

Hospital
Your gynae's nurses will prob tell you at about 5th month or so if I remember correctly. And silvery gal, yes cannot just go when your water breaks and say "ta da! I'm ready to deliver my baby!"

Yup after delivery everyone (gynae, nurses, you, hub...) Will be busy so no one will really remember whether you brought your own maternity pads or not. And the nurses that assist you in delivery will not follow you up to your room either so a lot of hand changing. I was so tired that I just let whoever do whatever to me

In the time just and just after delivery, you depend on everyone else, nurses to bring you bedpad, to press on your tummy to help you push, to bring you water, bring clean baby to you.... just concentrate on doing the most impt job of pushing baby out and let everyone worry about everything else
happy.gif

Wow it never occured to me that after c-section, gynae can clean up menstural blood from the inside!

The menses after birth (called lochia) lasts abt 1month plus for me, it was pretty heavy first few days but slowly lightens up in flow n colour towards the end. 1 thing to note that the pre-natal class from tmc taught last time was that try not to place baby near where mummies sleep/sit while still having lochia, saying it's not hygienic for the newborn which is still pretty sensitive ....

I got nice comfy cotton disposable undies from hush puppies previously , they were going for like 5 (i think, can't rem exactly) for $9.90 at Carrefour...hope I can find similar ones this round...

The NICU at kkh would be heavily subdised for Ward C. That's what I heard from my fren who just gave birth at kkh, her baby is expected to have complications thus she opted to transfer from tmc to kkh gynae to stay ward c so as to get the subsidies.

Hi mummies,
It's mid week already! One more day to my detailed scan tmrw. Will join in the socks spree after confirming gender... thou shld be a boy la. still habouring a hope that there's a slim chance that it's a gal hahahaa....

Re the misc items provided by hospital, not sure if we can opt out coz it's usually just thrown in as part of the package and billed to us. 2 yrs ago, TMC was using Fitti newborn diapers and they suck! But no choice since it was already provided. I changed to Huggies thereafter.

Ya. Better talk to gynae or their nurses about ur choice of hospital and how many bedder u going for. I have friends who opted for double room bed, ended up tmc too full they gave her single room and of cos charge at single bed room price!

For my lochia, it ended slightly more than a week. I guess I was lucky. Cant imagine bleeding for a month plus. As those who are worried about staining the bed. What my previous forum mummies did was buying the paper sheets to protect the bed in case of leakage. Can buy from diaso

Re the pre-admission sign up, the nurses at the clinic told me I wld be doing that tmrw after my detailed scan. They usually arrange ard 5th mth. Check with the nurses if they have yet to say anything. Re the hospital beds, my SIL kenna and had to stay in the more premier room and pay more as they ran out of all the standard 1 bedder. So really depends on your luck.

odiey - so jealous! im still counting down the days to 1st Dec!

CheekyDuckie - oh so after birth we cannot go toilet or what ah? aiyoh, so if want to pee must use bed pan?

MEinME - yah my gynae knows im allergic to sanitary pads. Thank god now preggy, no need to wear sanitary pads at all so no allergy. I guess i have to bring my own then.

So u all mean we have to sign up for a bed soon?? Not when we want to give birth that time?

Actually, telling whoever about the bed choice now, is useless I think! Cos, there are emergency cases everyday. And so it's very common for hospital to change your selected ward type to whatever is available. Unless c-sec, else, nothing is predictable.

Pre-admin to me, is just for convenience so that you don't have to panic with form filling on d-day itself. And probably for hospital to have a gauge and feel on the availability of beds.

Andreanie, few hours after u give birth u r expected to go pee. Depends if u natural or csec. I had natural. Once wheeled back to the ward. I can immediately jump out of bed to look for my newborn at the nursery. However if u csec, I think 1st day cannot walk yet. U have a urine bag attached to u for u to discharge ur urine.

I kena the run out of standard 1-bedders too, top up to stay in the premier 1-bedder ward on level 5. But I think the nurses there are nice n attentive leh, the room newly renovated n cosy too, made my entire stay a very pleasant one.
More worried abt the delivery suites though, cos if there are no available suite, will have to wAit n wait in the uncomfortable observation ward...

Andreanie: yes... after birth most likely u got to stay in bed for a day. if c-sec, will be bounded for longer.

For pre-admin, you indicate the room preference. Not chop what you want. They will not reserve the room for you lar. Only on d-day, when you go in, they will confirm the room type that you want, and they will assign base on whatever is available to their best capability that suits your preference.

Like andreanie, i am sorta allergic to pads, but just to the dri weave kinda pads. That's why i using tampons. Cos i think the non dri weave kind is too scary when soaked. For birth, I have no choice but to use the maternity pads lar. Cos cannot use tampons 6 months after birth mah. Heng my menses never returned until 9 months after birth. hahahahaha

Ni: u are good... u can jump off bed so fast! i was so scared my episiotomy wound will open lor... i didn't even go pee... when the nurses came to check on me @ 10pm... they say i was silly lar! i lie in bed for 7 hours without going to pee, or asking them to help me lar! Cos i too scared liao!
But once the nurses came and help, I was super happy! And i was busy walking up and down the nursery isle! I was in the room next to the nursery! Den i so bored, I carried my bb n walk up and down the coridor! Got scolded by the nurses! apparently the baby shd either be in the room, or nursery. Not carry and walk all over. =P

Wah, Ni, you are good! I tried to get up to go to pee and nearly fainted due to the blood lost during my natural delivery. So I had to use bedpan for the first day.

Normally if you do post-natal massage, the massage lady will help you to "push" out the blood clots, so your lochia should end earlier.

I found this on the NUH website, will be useful to those giving birth there:

Pre-registration Service

From your 28th week of pregnancy, you will be pre-registered for your delivery. It allows you to bypass the usual administrative procedures when you come for your delivery and proceed directly to Delivery Suite. Upon pre-registration, you will be given all the necessary documents to bring along for direct admission to the Delivery Suite. This service is free and deposit is payable only upon admission. We will provide financial counselling during pre-registration.

Andreanie need not pay anything now. Just fax in preadmission form, for mount A case. Then my case, I pay my gynae $1300 at the 8th month, this is for his delivery charges. Then when u r ready to give birth. Day of admission or discharge (I forgot), pay $1300 to mount A.

Hmmm, my sugery is 8am, 6-7pm I forced myself out of bed to walk a few steps and wheeled to weighing scale to check my weight!!!

Yes, 1 thing to note for those going through cesarean, please ask your HB to remind you to stretch your body after you wake up, that will help you to recover faster as blood is moving around the body.

Cheeky, I didnt know cannot use tampon, anyway, mine back after 9mths.

I think TMC also no need pay at pre-admin. Pay deposit upon admission. Then settle the rest on the day of discharge. Other payment made earlier is deposit for gynae delivery charges.

MEinME: Yah yah... i read somewhere cannot use tampons after delivery. Cos need to recover.

Back