(2012/04) Apr 2012

Starrie, the basic rule is how many sets of funnel you have, you'll need the same sets of connectors, valves and membrances because they will come in contact with your expressed milk. Tubing, you do not need to wash/change unless yours suay suay kena vipour trapped in there, this happened when your pumping gears is not properly dried and connect to the tubing, the tube sucks the water into the tubing while pumping. Good to have a set of tubing as spare, just in case, it goes bongo on you!!! Also stock on extra sets of membrance because they may tear if not handled properly, this comes in a pack of 6pc.

Thanks for the links on thermometer, I got mine locally, over $100 but probably is an old model, should be fully depreciated, coming to its 6th years now, I need to get additional filters. kekeke

Starrie, the accessories for the 2 models (PISA and Freestyle) is not compatible and different except the bottles, therefore, you need to be careful when making the purchase. My friend using Freestyle and she bought the accessories under PISA, need to sell away.

I'll be using PISA, I'll purchase 2 complete sets and 1 pair of bigger funnel, total will be 3 sets, plus 1 pkt of membrances (6pc) and 1 set of tubings. The standard pump comes with the 24mm funnel, I can't use it. The 24mm funnels will need to go.

You'll need to pump like 2-3hr interval for a start then move to 3-4hours when baby is bigger.

meinme, tks for the heads up that the items are not compatible. I was researching all afternoon and getting a bit of a headache over the different items. Got so many!!

Where are you getting your items from? Looked at a few sellers from BP thread and might go for prettymums as they are having 10% off until CNY. I already ordered my freestyle set from Leng Leng and waiting for it to arrive.

I think I will be getting 1 spare parts kit, 1 pair of connectors, 1 pack of 2 valves and 2 membranes (so this is 1 extra complete set, correct?) plus 1 pack of 6 membranes, 1 set of tubing. Freestyle comes with 24mm and 27mm funnels so I can hold back on the funnels first until I comfirm my size and then will buy the extra funnels. This means I will have 2 sets to pump with.

Starie: If you are getting Freestyle, the spare part kit comes with everything except the bottles and funnels aka breastshields. See the 2 links i sent earlier.
PISA will need to get membrane and other connecting parts. Freestyle no need.

If you are still confused, then just get the pump set first, open up, see already u will understand.

Tubing no need to get. Unless like what the others say, got vapour inside. Just make sure you don't store the tubing with the wet parts, will be ok.

Cheekyduckie, ok. Think I get your point. So all I need is the items from the 2 links you sent. I tried reading the online guide and look at the parts needed for freestyle and started getting really confused. Maybe as you say, better wait for my set to arrive and then see inside. After all, all these parts got ready stock. Tks!
happy.gif

Starrie, choose the bigger funnels. I PM you on how to measure and see. kekeke

Hi,

WTS: 2 tins of NAN HA Milk Powder @$37 each. Original price $42.50 each. Expiry date: 4 Jul 2013. Self-collection at Kovan MRT.

WTS: 6 bottles of Obimin @$18 each. Original price $28 each. Expiry date: 11 Jan 2013. Self Collection at Kovan MRT.

Pls call 96568688 to deal.

Hi mummies,
For those who use forehead thermometers, where do you get them from and any brand to recommend. Am considering to be kiasu to get the braun one and forehead one too :p

And also, everyone got their containers, tupperwares to store their milk bottles after sterilizing already? Where from?

MEinME : can PM on how to measure and see too? heehee... I bought the freestyle.. but not sure if the one they provided is the right size. Thanks in advance!
happy.gif

Tokkie - For the funnels, my personal experience was to upsize after I got abrasions from using the one given with the set! MEinMe may have a better way of doing it!

Kimmy - Can use Lock and Lock container to store the milk bottles after sterilizing, but better to air dry first.

Mummies who want to get funnels, better buy later. Cos boobs will continue to change. Also, some of us might need 1 side big 1 side small funnel. Or even different sized funnels at different times. Unsure? Dun buy first. Wait till u use den decide.

Milk bottles i just screw tight after sterilizing. And use within the day. =P no need to air dry. The water inside the bottle is sterile water. Just flick dry before making/filling the milk. Leave to air for too long, might invite bacteria/germs back into the bottle. Defeats the purpose of sterilizing.

just a bit more to add about pumping at work: medela sells sterilizing bags (just pop into microwave), and i THINK munchkin does too

Kimmy, I used Lock & Lock container.

EL, you are right on the abrasions, ouch!!! I also don't know when I first started till my friend advised me to get the bigger one. Rushed down to Mums & Babes to get 2 sets!!!

Pinkbunny, thanks for the reminder. Yes, Medela has this microwave bag which you may use for quick sterlization in the office or at home.

It says you can use for 20 times, however, I've asked the Medela service centre long time ago, they told me can use more times than that as long as the bag is not wore out. It's much cheaper now as compared to my time, that time, I still need to order from US, Singapore don't have. BP thread is selling at S$12 per box of 5 bags, I think retail is S$19.90.

Hi any mummies suffering from motion sickness also? If yes, can tell me when will it go off? I'm in my wk 13...

My morn sickness started wk 6 till now... Sigh

Im going to use Freestyle too! Didnt know that the funnel hv many sizes. Ok prolly need to get a bigger funnel after giving birth from Mums & Babes!

Andreanie, no need to go all the way. Now, you can just ordered from the BP threads with ready stock. It's cheaper than Mums & Babes or Kiddy Palace as they selling at full retail price.

Hi Yumei, I had morning sickness till week 14. I was so sick until i couldn't go to work at all... all i did was lie in bed all day. I also suffered from motion sickness, vomitting, giddy spells. What helps is very plain food like porridge and steam fish/chicken... etc. I also eat slowly and make sure I chew everything into small small bits or else I'd vomit it all out. I stayed with my mother sometimes and she'd cook for me. It should end after week 14 or so. After that, you'd feel almost normal again and you'd start to enjoy pregnancy more. Jiayou!! Just a week or two more.

This Bowie. I'm so worried the motion sickness persists. Cos my work place very far... Went for few days. Feel stressed cos throw up in all modes of transport... Bus,mrt, car....

Really hope it ends soon

To add to Cheekyduckie's post, Mrs Wong actually says after sterilising, you should just screw tight and not air dry to prevent the air and bacteria from entering the bottles else no longer sterile. The water inside is sterile so no issue. And to store the sterilised bottles, can just leave on the table as you have already screwed tight but I think I will store in a Lock and Lock container as advised by my other mummy friends. Sterilised bottles should be used within 24 hours else need to re-sterilise.

Also Mrs Wong also doesn't recommend microwave sterilisation but I guess each to its own. Especially if you are in office and hard to bring an electric steriliser along.

Actually I just use boiling water to sterilise my pump parts at the office. Seemed to work well so far.

Hi everyone, i've been reading this forum for a while and learnt a lot from you, mostly are experienced mama! I'm expecting my first 2 babies, 1 boy 1 girl twins, EDD 17apr but gynae told me that most likely will do c-sect on wk37. Doctor ordered bedrest for me from wk28 onwards as he's afraid of preterm labour highly associated with twins pregnancy. Am talking to my babies everyday to stay until at least end of march ;)

Hi cheekyduckie, can i join the FB group? Shall pm you my email address, thanks!

Wishing all mummies smooth pregnancy!!

Hello Ashley! Welcome!

Hi mummies out there.. I heard from my colleague who told me she delivered her boy 1 mth b4 EDD.. Ai yo.. Also..in my co, they mention if want to work nearer to EDD date than go on maternity leav mus produce doc letter.. Are u all worried BB will come early? Hmmm...

Ms_Tan: No need to think so much. When the baby wants to come is not within our control! I have a friend who scheduled her C-Sec already. And who knows, the baby decided to meet the world before the scheduled date. So she got to c-sect earlier!
My #1 was delivered naturally (induced) at 37weeks too (almost 1 month ahead). No one in office, not even myself was prepared for that. I got to rush back to office right after my gynae visit to hand over stuff cos I will be having the baby the next day! I was already 3cm dilated and having quite frequent contractions which I didn't feel. =P
Just relax and take it easy. Watch out for symptoms like bleeding and contractions. Under most circumstances, you will have sufficient time to take a fast shower and travel to hospital.

Oh... And if you are really caught unaware and suddenly need to go hospital, please bring your IC! That's the most important thing! Identification!
When I was in the observation ward last time, I overheard how this lady panic and rush to hospital with NO IDENTIFICATION! and she needed a c-sect cos her baby was in breech position. But the docs can't do nothing cos she had no identification.
Hospital bag u can pack and get ready, but do not leave your identification inside. Always carry it with you. Or you can do like what i do, i put my driving license inside the bag, and carry IC with me. Or passport in bag, ic on you. Something like that.

U will be ok with no hospital bag, cos your family can bring for u later, but identification is a must.

Thanks El, CheekyDuckie, MeinMe and other mummies for sharing your sterilization bottle tips. Haha okay, I shall go get lock & Lock then to store them. A friend showed me hers the other day..which looks not too bad but don't know if still in stock (she pop like 1.5 yrs ago)...

CheekyDuckie >> I recently knew that contractions can be painless too! That's scary, not knowing whether you are having contractions a not. you're right...I'd be bringing my IC along with me. Identification very important. What else they need? No need gynae card right? or need to contact the emergency number.

Also mummies, check with you, how often does your gynae see you as you enter 3rd tri? Every week? Every 2 weeks? Mine is still seeing me every 3-4 weeks while a frd told me hers every week..(and she has a pretty smooth pregnancy too) so I'm just wondering why the difference. Thanks!

Welcome ashley. Congrats on having a long feng tai!
happy.gif

kimmy, once hit 30 weeks, my gynae will see me every 2 weeks until 36 weeks and then once a week until deliver or 40 weeks. He has also mentioned that he is going to discuss birth plan with us at next visit which is 30 weeks. Everything is starting to feel very real now!

Hi Mommies, I have a friend's sis-in-law who delivered 2 days after her EDD. My hub goes overseas frequently for work and my biggest fear is that he won't be around when I am going into labor. While i hope for the best, I'm also prepping myself for going into labor without a hubby-in-tow. Anyone has a similar situation to me?

And how long does labour last on average?

Cheekieduckie: Thanks for sharing ur experiences n ur advices
happy.gif
ya I tink I worry too much :p but first time .. Really cant help.. Because don knw wat to expect.

Tomorrow is Friday again..so fast!

Hi mummies!
am looking for a baby sitter near bendemeer area. Any recommendations, pls do let me know. Tks... Am not comfortable of putting my baby gal at infant care...

Realise that nowadays its sooo difficult to get a baby sitter...

Looking forward to the weekend!!

welcome new mummies!

beowie i like your question... nobody knows the answer to that!

is sitting getting uncomfortable for anyone yet? my tummy isn't very big (well, to me it is) but when i sit at comp, it's resting on top of my thighs liao. and my daughter now loves playing while sitting on the floor and makes me sit with her. sooooo hard to sit down and then get up!!!

Kimmy: my fren who is due in Feb packed her marriage cert in the hospital bag. Not sure why need to bring marriage cert but guess tats one of the must bring items.

Contractions: my tummy has been feeling really tight lately esp at the belly button area. At first I tot it's the baby stretching but now I think its Braxton Hicks. Is this how it's supposed to feel? Tight and uncomfortable but not painful. Tummy feels hard. Lasts for a few min. Comes and goes.

Nothing to be worried about right?

Pinkbunny, keke no harm asking i guess. I find it increasingly harder to get out of my bed now.

Ladies, do you find ur hands getting numb at night when sleeping on ur side? I always wake up with numb hands and the only sleeping position where my hands does not get numb is sleeping on my back.

Tangerinez, I also get that kind of tightening at my lower belly area often. I didn't know it is braxton hicks keke.....

Ooh another question ladies - do u go to the fengshui master when choosing baby names? Do u have any reliable contacts to recommend? Thanks in advance..

Welcome Ashley.

My tummy feels tight at times. Suffering frm backache. Can't do housework for long. Been trying to do springclean and it takes forever to clean my kitchen cabinets. Hai..

For Chinese name, we will consult a shifu. For #1, we went to Lentor Ave if I rmb correctly.

Think the marriage cert is required only if u are registering your child's birth cert at the hospital..if not..dun have to.. For my #1, we got a fengshui master to choose the name n went ica to register only After that..there's a timeframe of 30 days to register the birth I think
I used jingzilong at aljunied/geylang to choose name for #1..he gave choice of 10 words each for both 1st word n 2nd word..then me n hubby went thru all the diff permutations before deciding on one..think cost abt $100 or so..

Any mummies need medela parts? TLL organizing a spree for Parts in overseas thread..I just placed my order..hope my pump motor can last me for another year of breast feeding..
happy.gif

QiQi and Ethan_Ethel: Thanks for the helpful info on choosing bb chinese names.
happy.gif
So far, there is this JingZiLong and another called YouLongZi that many parents go to. I will check them out. Honestly, I am not sure I believe in this Fengshui stuff, but Hubby's name was chosen by Fengshui Master and his name really fits his overall life.

wow actually, i haven't cleaned my kitchen cabinets in a while and they prob hv to remain as 'clean' as they are. i stopped doing hsework after i found out about my pregnancy and hired a pt helper to come each week. Guess it really takes the pressure off my hubby and myself. Dare not do hsework because suffered mc not so long ago. However, there's usually lots of other stuff to do in that 4 hours each wk that i tink kitchen cabinets will prob not surface in the list of things to do for a while keke....

Morning mummies! TGIF! Have not been checking the thread since the Xmas Hols but did check fb on and off. Gg for my checkup now. In my 28th week already. 3 more mths to go!

Saw a lot of mummies are ordering their pump parts. Better start to order mine. Will prob order fr TLL as well.

Qiqi
Is yr Shifu long tian Xiang? He stays at lentor one of the condo. Used him for wedding date selection n both kids name selection. Will go to him again for no 3!

The tight pressure feeling on tummy at belly button is Braxton Hicks???? Yikes! Then I hv been getting that many many many times since many many many many weeks ago!!!
So it's confirm Braxton Hicks and not baby stretching putting pressure on belly button? Cos whenever that happens I will run that area and the feeling will go away. :S

Andreanie
I had Braxton hicks as early as 5 mths n gynae said coz I over exerted n told me to take it easy. Thereafter it din occur so often.

Kimmy: IC is most important. Maybe paste a label on IC with hubby and another person's contact. So that the hospital staff can help to call.
It was really a mess in the observation ward for the emergency patient i tell u. She can't even tell the nurses her name or anything. IC/Passport number cannot remember also. And she's a foreigner. The lady who accompanied her was equally stressed and flustered. I can still remember how she was screaming and screaming that the baby is coming and she was in pain.

Braxton Hicks are fake contractions. Tight pressure is probably just because of baby's position.

eh cheekyduckie, they are not braxton hicks? my bad!

i read from babycenter that if your tummy tightens, and you place your hands on the belly, it feels really hard and tight means is BH.

so i thought if the tummy tightens but with movement, means baby moving.
if whole tummy tightens, no movement, means BH.

so confusing...

Odiey: Yes. The shifu is Long Tian Xiang. Used him for my #1. According to my hubby, he's quite accomodating cos he agreed to meet my hubby on a last min arrangement at 10pm. By the time he finished, it already very late. Nv hear much reviews on him online.

Most prob will use him again for my #2.

CheeckyDuckie : thanks! Oh goodness, I feel for the lady now upon reading your description... yikes.

Starrie: Yes, its all starting to feel absolutely real now. Thanks for sharing on your visits...I will ensure that I get to see my gynae more often after week 30 too. A friend of mine started having contractions (painless type) 2 days ago and she's week 36 without knowing. So now scheduled for C-sec in 2 days' time.

tangerinez: Hmm me and a friend had similar tightening with no movement just below the naval/belly button and were told my the gynae that's braxton hicks but nothing to worry about as it will come & go more in the 3rd tri. But perhaps just tight pressure with movement like what Cheeky said may be baby's position.
happy.gif

Happy Friday & weekend everyone!

Tangerinez: u are not wrong either. that's how contractions feel like also! haha...
it's very hard to differentiate. As long as no pain, then i just assume it's BH, and not contractions. =P
but then, please becareful. cos i misread my contractions as BH for #1. And never realised until my gynae told me and straped me to the machine... By then, i was 3cm dilated already. =P

CheekyDuckie - 3cm dilated?!?! Wow! You had those 'painless contractions too?' then did you have time to go back and pack etc.?

kimmy, thanks for the info on BH!

your friend, c-sect at 36 weeks due to contractions? oh dear... now i'm so terrified.
if my little one is healthy i wouldn't be so fearful but if he needs to come out earlier than 38 weeks i'm afraid he will be too small for his surgery.

pregnancy is so special but so worrisome as well!
sad.gif

tangerinez: my pleasure to share. mm friend will c-sect at 37 weeks also because her baby is getting too big (near 4kg) and gynae said needs to be out soon. she was just surprised by contractions because she thought with a c-sect scheduled, she won't need to go through feeling contractions (thinking that all contractions = painful). what I do is I talk to the little one and tell him to come out full term okay?

Kimmy: Yeaps. I didn't feel any pain with the contractions. Or more like, I wasn't really paying attention. The contractions probably started at 36weeks. On 36weeks6day, I was scheduled for my pelvic x-ray to confirm if i my pelvic size is big enough for my baby's head to come out, when i was removing my clothing for my xray, i realised i was bleeding fresh blood below. After my xray, went to gynae, baby is nicely engaged, and the machine measured a lot of contractions. Den my gynae did a check and confirmed 3cm dilation. She ask me to go home pack and rest and get ready to go hospital the next day.
So... I decided to go back office to hand over everything before I went home. wahahahaha... All was ok. Contractions came quite frequent that night. Pain was ok. My hubby didn't dare to sleep the entire night. At 5am, I showered, and we went to Mac for BREAKFAST! Reached hospital at 8am. And went thro my induction for birth. Slept for a few hours in the observation ward. Baby arrived naturally before 4pm.

Back