(2010/07) July 2010 MTB

SK, yes, I suppose changing school earlier is better than changing school later. My parents will be away soon, so I would like to have my girl settled in a CC so that I can work (at least part-time).

Mummies, for those who started with CC, did you start off with half day first and how soon did you convert to full day? I'm thinking whether she might fight sleep if I let her stay full day in CC and miss her nap.

Hi Julie, my boy is in full day cc, started in Jan 2012. Here's how we transitioned him:

Day 1 & 2 - Stayed till 12.30pm, after his lunch and milk; I was there with him throughout.

Day 3 - We left him w his favourite teacher and returned to pick him up at 12.30pm (he cried initially but calmed down after a while)

Day 4 - We left him w his favourite teacher and returned to pick him up at 3.30pm, after his afternoon nap in cc.

Day 4 - Full day at cc.

He may cry/whine in the mornings when we leave him at cc, but we realised that even before we leave the doors of the cc, he would have been distracted or playing with toys already.

Haha, at home, when he does not want to eat, when I say "Ms so-and-so (teacher's name) tells you to eat mum mum", he will be a good boy and finish his lunch. He very obedient and kuai in school lor...

Hi,

Anyone can share how u teach your toddler on how to feed themselves or drink from the cup. I actually enrolled my son for childcare but withdraw him on the 3rd day after accompanying him for 2 days.

All the kids there can at least eat themselves or drink from the cup and I'm so worried that my son can't eat independently & teacher will not have that much time/attention for him (though they assure me that they will). My son is now 19 mths & he only has 4 teeth at the top, some of the food/fruit are cut in chunky portion & I'm worried that teacher does not help to cut them in smaller pieces.

I felt so stressed up during the 2 days at childcare & decided to postpone his enrollment for the time being ;o(

Tigger: don't stress... learning process for you n bb. my bb's class have 1 toddler (2 mths older then my gal) has this problem like ur bb too. Worst of all, can't walk properly yet, still fall down when walking when the toddler went into toddler class.

Inform the school vice principal about ur child's situation and always communicate with the school. If no one in school responds to you, write in to their HQ. Most schools will panic and becareful with special attention child.

my gal everyday change few sets of clothing because of spilling milo all over herself. at home i teach her to drink from training mug (less spill) but still gets dirty anyway, and i give my gal spoon to feed herself honey stars, I will sit infront of her and insist she feed me honey star and i will feed her honey star.

Toddler learn very fast when they practice with parents (very funny actually)

my gal (19 mths) can brush her teeth with toothbrush roughly. again she helped me brush my teeth n i brush hers (my dentist taught me this method - works very well)

Tigger mum, u calm urself down and prepare urself to see some mess, ur bb will learn in no time after these mess.

bdmum: yeah ~~ I love your method ! my notti gal reacted the same way too ~! Go sch initially cry cry~~! Then when door closes (teacher assist removing shoes n socks) she stands up, walk into class n starts playing with drops of tears still on her~ (cheeky gal)

Feeding my gal have no issue, she eats almost anything when she is hungry, when full up she will just tap her stomach n say "bao bao" (full up) lolx~!

Hey xbeanniex,

Thanks for your feedback ;o)

I'm currently preggy & due end next mth.

Felt so stress that my son can't be independent in sch & I cried during those 2 trial days whenever i talk to my hubby. Until he suggest that we postpone my son's CC enrollment as we feel that we're really not ready yet. So paiseh to say that ;op

I'm taking this period to really train him up on feeding, deadline is to put him in CC before I get back to work after my maternity ends in Aug. Meanwhile my mil can still help to take care of him.

Luckily I've a very supportive mil to help me & she is not afraid of the mess. Actually i thought to enrol my son earlier so that he won't feel neglected after his meimei is born. I don't want him to feel that meimei is born & he needs to go CC.

For mummies planning to send your toddler to CC, I will also suggest that you start training your kid to shower in standing position as CC doesn't shower the kids using bath tub.

tigger don't despair! kids really learn very fast. in fact, when i wanted to train my girl to eat by herself, i just gave her the bowl (suction type can stick to the tray) with a spoon and let her at it! be prepared for a mess at first, but he will learn fast. now my girl hardly spills food, but occasionally she will eat her rice with her hands haha! same with the cup, i just gave her a plastic cup with water (the colourful Ikea ones) and let her drink. at first she spilt a lot of water, quite funny, but now she's an expert! if you keep encouraging, they will gain confidence and eventually learn.

my next task is to train her to sleep in a toddler bed. that one headache coz she likes to stand up and WALK in her cot before settling to sleep! maybe next time she will walk around the room before sleeping haha.

anyway, it's a good idea to delay your son going to CC until the birth of your no.2.. better to wait a few months if you can so that he won't connect the 2 events. I dont think we can force independence but just encourage and be there if they need us [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

good luck!!!

peanut : thanks for sharing.

I guess we just have to encourage one and other to keep ourselves going. I was almost in tears when i see my son trying to feed himself. I told my hubby, it's really not easy having to bring up a kid and we really have a heavy responsibility.

Hi Tigger mum, stay strong and take care. Better to take things at a comfortable pace since you will be due next month. IMO, it's the teachers that make the difference in any cc i.e. they must be patient enough to teach our little ones.

My boy is literally the youngest in the cc (excluding the bb in infant care). He cannot feed himself properly as yet (partially coz we hv not really given him many chances to try at home due to the potential mess), so the teachers will patiently feed him during lunch (rice, spaghetti etc). Before cc, we hv not started him on rice. Initially they standby a portion of porridge just in case. He is able to finger feed himself bread, fruits, etc.

Showering - On days 1 and 2, he simply refuses to remove his clothes! Day 3, he was crying too, but teachers managed to bathe him. Subsequently ok... so we hv to allow them to adapt slowly.

Yes! Don't give up. Up till today, my gal still cries daily when gg sch. She simply hates it! Today she cried till she vomitted, twice. Not only that, she starts getting cough & flu, plus my mum is not supportive thinking she's too young, so she blames me for spending $ to put my gal thru all these & said I'm a cruel mum!

But my frens told me to be persistent and stay strong, one day we will see the benefits of them going sch at this age. My gal doesn't like to walk as she is too pampered.. But she still walks during long strolls to the park. she also can't self feed very well but the teachers will still help to feed. She's also the youngest as most toddlers are 2yrs+. Initially I do cry every time I send her to sch, cos I can't bear to see her cry badly, but we have to stay positive! Trust the teachers but also understand that they can't be there for our child all the while. Kids can adapt better than adults. Most of the time, the crying stops when we are out of their sight.

Its the 3rd week so far and my mum usually pick her at 1230pm. If she naps, my mum will wait till she wakes up. I think now my girl is starting to get more sociable & less shy in front of strangers. She smiles at ppl in the lift.. And it warms my heart when the teachers tell me she enjoys & is happy at certain activities like swimming in sch!

Hi bdmummy & sweetkiss : Thanks for sharing your experiences.

Yessss it's really heart aching to see our kids crying, every time I try to hold back my tears. When I see my son laughing happily at hme, I also ask myself if I'm right to put him in CC at this stage though I know that this will definitely benefit him in the long run.

I've just enrolled him for the enrichment course at Zoo-Phonics where he will go twice a wk during wk-day (1.5hrs) session with my mil. We want to expose him to be more sociable & also learn more things rather than staying at hme. Once I deliver, I will slowly try to transition him to play group & then finally back to CC.

Hopefully by then, both myself & my son are ready to embrace the enrollment of CC. I know I'm stressing myself unnecessary but I guess that's the pain that I will need to go thru as a parent.

I really felt better after chatting with you gals, THANK YOU once again for listening to my woes.

Mummies:

I know some of you are using beco or ergo carriers.

I didn't know how to choose either of them because their designs attracts me so much that I can't focus on reading their difference...I need help here~!

meant for my notti 19mth when going out with her

beannie,

u can try pongae from gmarket too..i bought 1 there and very happy with it. the price is half of beco n ergo. their designs also quite attractive.

i still haven send baby L for CC..only enroll him for enrichment class at leapschool house. he would be starting in march 3. been to 2 trial classes 1 for myself n him the other is hubby n him. both of us tot not bad that he quite enjoy going classes there.

Hi mummies, Thanks for sharing your experiences about putting your kid in CC. For myself, G has been attending CC 1st week at Centre A (but I withdraw; too expensive!!) and now 2nd week at Centre B.

For the new centre,

Day 1: I stayed 2 hours, then disappeared and my mum picked her up at 1pm. Apparently, she fell asleep at 12.30pm after lunch.

Day 2: I dropped her off and disappeared while she was having breakfast. This time, she fell asleep at 11.30am, during songs. Perhaps too tired, since she woke up at 6am. Missed her lunch and my mum picked her up at 12.30pm.

I think the teachers mentioned she cried on-off, but she appeared still quite happy at home and her eyes were not too red, so I guess she is ok.

I'm probably thinking of putting her half day for the rest of the week. Before I try to extend to full day.

hello mummies,

for those who have brought your toddlers overseas for holiday, may I know how do you prepare your kid's meal, or what do they eat?

junie....

pigeon instant porridge is a life saver always...get at liang court the japanese super market..alot of instant porridge range..

trip in HK:

breakfast - follow us eat bread dip in milo or milk.

then teabreak 150ml milk.

lunch: instant porridge (if we r outside, he will share some of our food too)

teabreak: 210ml milk

dinner: instant porridge (if we r outside, he will share some of our food too)

night: 240ml milk (sleep)

junie:

start the class off with toys playing, then clean up. after tt did some songs, then go gym, after gym is snack time, then story time, after tt they will do flashcards on the story characters, then bubble time, after tt do arts n craft then good bye song n class end..

most of the lessons are learning thru playing n learning thru peers. luke like to copy n follow other ppl do so quite effective for him. attended 2 trials in a row n he can start saying n recognising some alphabets liao...at home teach n teach he also don't wanna say even he knoes them.

Sandy: tks. Will check that out.

For the class, how much is it? Flashcards need concentration....doubt my son can sit still for that. Hehe.

erm...for me got 8% discount for the class due to prison service gt discount rate. every week once on sat.

Course fee: 357.7

polo tee: 15

insurance: 5

deposit:100

the flashcards nt very long...per child they only does 4 items.

mine worst loh. he will play with loopholes..even he know the item he will purposely point both n smile cheekly. =.=!!

xbeanniex: i have both the beco & ergo. if u ask me, i still prefer the ergo because the support is better, especially at the crotch area. somehow Kay is more comfy in ergo, just that she cant face front but she doesnt mind. if u wan i can lend u both to try, im not using them at the moment.. she prefers to be carried!!! so i ordered a hip seat & waiting for it to arrive. U can PM me or SMS if u still got my number.

Eating outside - Actually I already let S eat the food outside. When I went Melaka last dec, he eats wat we eat minus the sauce / gravy. Much easier for us.

xbeanniex, how heavy is ur gal now? S is about 11kg now and carrier him in ergo is quite tiring..even though the weight limit is at 18kg, haha i dun think i can tahan carrier him when he is that heavy!You might wanna reconsider as I feel that they might outgrow it soon.

junie, flashcards can train de. At first S also cant sit still throughout the flashcards but now he is able to.

Jacelyn> We went to a trial class @ Baby Jumper Gym before....very much focused on flashcards, we didn't enjoy it, not say the least my boy, hehee.

There were like 5 of them in class, each take turns for the teacher to go through the flashcards, quite boring lor...cuz then the rest of the kids while waiting, were getting restless.

We try using flashcards @ home for very short while only cuz his attention span is pretty short.

Hi mommies! Just to share, at their age now (about 1.5yo), our babies' attention span is only 5-7 mins. Every year, their attention span increases by 5 mins.

So anyone who wants to do any activities e.g. flashcards with their babies, please take note of their very short attention span. Therefore, do wrap up the session in 5 mins. And if they're not paying attention, do other activities, then come back to the flashcards [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

Junie, ya I had tried the trial class at BJG n didn't like it too. S been attending My Little Genius. In class , the teacher flashes at least 8-10 sets of flashcards n each set abt 10 cards each. Total time taken is less than 5 mins. N they dun flash to individual kids. Everyone is looking at the cards all at the same time. So they won't need to wait for their turn.

Going overseas: Same for Kayden. He also eats what we eat. Either he eat bread or soup noodle. We will still try our best to find porridge for him but sometime it is tough.

Ann: is Kayden still in the power tots class? We thought of signing bk with Bibinogs. What time is the class on sun?

Isaias is quite picky in his food, esp those not mashy type. I yhink either he is lazy to bite or chew, or he doesnt like textured food.

Hi Junie, i just brought G to hongkong. For me I chose the more tedious method, cos still want him to eat properly there. Hongkong food quite salty. I got those travelling cooker.. (like the pic below)

[IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/messages/2495852/6691201.jpg]

then i made sure I stayed at a hotel that has a supermarket nearby and i bought chicken/pork daily to cook his porridge.. i brought rice from home. Veges that I bought since day 1 lasted well in the hotel's fridge... at least it last me all the way till end of my trip (4 days).

So basically morning I will go to the supermarket, buy the meat (cos can't keep inside the hotel's fridge, not cold enough), then make his porridge for the whole day.

Abit tedious though! I even brought detergent from home to wash the pot =D.

You can go the instant way but my son totally refuses to eat any instant stuff liao.

Wah, Jaclyn.....u really "wu xim" (got heart) leh.

I can't wait for the day when my boy can eat what we eat outside. Now, we only gives him a little bit of rice or vermicelli when we r eating, to keep him occupied cuz he wld Hv finished his own food which we hv prepared.

Haha yar lor.. but I scared I regret if I don't do this way!!

Yes.. whenever G finish his porridge he will still want our food. We will give also ... SG food still ok. But Hongkong food must becareful. Even adults can laosai, dont say babies. I'm not saying its dirty or what, just that their tolerance there is better than SG. Our food is really clean here in SG [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

Jaclyn: Wah... you really hardworking. I see my luggage so big liao, also lazy to bring even more things. Hehe!!

Junie: Yup, Kayden is still in Powertots class. He is taking Sunday class at 9.30am. But this will be his last term as he is starting childcare next Monday.

Hi,

Can you gals share how on your toddler's teething journey.

How many teeth does he/she has now.

My son at 19 mths only have 4 teeth at the top part & I'm getting

a bit worried. Checked with 2 PD and both have diff views.

One PD say this teeth is healthy so not to worry, just a bit slow.

The other PD say it's weird that bottom is not growing, may need to see dentist if this continues.

Jaclyn,

woa...really hardworking...tt time my luggage go there is filled up totally..

come bk then gt space coz his diapers n milk finish then gt extra spare areas...

yes i totally agree on the food there not really clean n not very suitable for our little darlings. always standby diarrhea medication no matter what. bb L was having diarrhea on the 4th day coz i tihnk he ate some not so clean food at shen zhen/ HK. Hub n me were ok except him. ended up pop the pill for him for whole day n kept him hydrated. by the nex day he was ok n we flew bk to sin.

tigger_mum: My boy is now 19mths coming 20mths soon. He almost have his full set of teeth except the last four big molars. I had also bring him to see dentist for 1st dental checkup. Better to have dentist look at their teeth especially now they are so into our food and sweets.

tigger_mum,

luke is still teething...left the 2 small sharp tooth on the left top n bottom haven fully out..can see half of them at the moment. the 4 huge molars not out too...but over all his teeths are almost there liao..

don't worri too much on the teeth..some bbs grow slower on teeth. my little nephew is 12mths liao only gt 2 bottom tooths..

where as my hubby nephew drop his both front milk tooth since start of last yr end holiday. now still no signs of his two front teeth growing bk....give them some time. the tooth will pop out de..

dentist:

any mummies gt recommandation on bb dentist..wanna bring bb L go check his teeth since they are almost fully all out liao.

hmm, my post was gone?

I just back from my taiwan trip last sat and I bot instant cereal and also

porridge there.. cos I wont have a decent meal, so JL gotta eat these food.

He also tasted a bit of our food, esp chou dou fu! haha..

Im glad that he gain 100 gram [ he gain weight very slow [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/sad.gif] ]

Teeth, JL have 16teeth now (since 16mths old) and dentist says by the age of two, he should have a full set already.

tigger_mum , maybe you should check with the dentist?

I went to the dentist (same as annie) , first time is only consulation and next dentist visit for JL will be april.

OMG...I'm getting worried liao after hearing your comments.

Anyone got recommendation on which dentist to bring my son for further review.

Ann/Cheese : Can share what's your kid's reaction/experience when they first visit the dentist. I'm worried that my son will be terrified leh and refuse to open his mouth to show the dentist.

Tigger mum, sorry if i scare you.

Just go for dentist if you are unsure.

As some ppl might think why is there a need for such a young age to visit the dentist, but im very concern as i brush his teeth and i scare i am not doing a good job.

For my boy, he dont wanna lie down himself.

so, i lie down with him and doc just check like that (with his tool with mirror), no machine used.

I brought my boy to woodlands, sunshine plaza

looked for doc sia - the most popular there as he is fast and good.

Cheese, thanks for the recommendation ;o)

My friend actually suggest that I go polyclinic to get a referral letter to see a kid's dental specialist @ KK (cheaper in this way) if I'm really worried. I will discuss with hubby for final decision.

tigger_mum: The dentists at the Sunshine dental not bad. They will try to play with the kids. They even have a big monitor screen for them to watch tv or you can bring his favourite dvd to play on the screen while checking their teeth so that your baby would not be frighten. I also paid $30 for my son's first visit. Not that ex.

hi mummies.. just to ask advice from u all. if you have a caregiver who can take gd care of your child, will u still want to put him/her in a full day CC or just half day preschool all the way till K2?

I enrolled my gal in CC since this month, despite my parent's objections. Reason being, there is no gd preschool near my area. Last week, she got a fever that lasted 3 days. So i also got a huge nagging from my parents.

Until now, they refused to let me send her to school. I had an argument with my mum who thinks that my gal is too young, plus she is a fussy eater, so she doesnt eat in sch.

Should i just stop her from CC, and join again next year? I know the problem will still arise but at least hopefully by then she will be able to express herself better.

Or should i just let her go for half day preschools all the way?

When I discussed with hubby, we find that the only part we like about the CC curriculum is the swimming, sandplay, art & crafts & storytelling. Swimming and sandplay is not a problem as i can bring her regularly.

So I realized that if thats the case, we might just save that monthly sch fees & let her go to playgroups + weekend music class which she enjoys.

By the way, her class at Musikgarden had stopped, anyone knows of other places? I can only think of Gymboree. She enjoyed the trial last time & few weeks ago when i went in to speak to the person, a class was in progress & she was dancing by herself outside. haha

sweetkiss,

u are not the only 1 in the situation. i also gt the same situation at home. hubby thinks y must send him to school so early and he still duno how to express himself properly.

there's afew weekend class centres at city square mall (farrer park). or u can try out toa payoh HUB hub upstairs there's some class can sign for weekend too. u can also try serangoon nex upstairs where they gt classes too.

from your description, more or less you had decision made.

plus points in cc:

friends, interaction, learning, sharing, independant.

not so good in cc:

sickness, didnt eat much, drop in weight.

personal feel after a long long debate with my hubby plus some quarrel here n there.

we compromise in he goes for weekend class to make friends, interaction, learning n sharing.

as for indepentant, we ownself teach at home. make him help in house work..=X abit like torturing him..hahahha

since he love water, he gets to go nex water play once awile, or swimming at tpy sports complex. we also stand by spare clothes n towel in diaper bag. as n when we goes to area where he can play water n he wants to play, he can go ahead n enjoy. eg bugis fountain, vivo kids area, ion orchard steps.

Sk, I had a struggle also

But now my mil is the main caretaker when I'm at work

My concern is cos she only know Chinese n dont know Is she know how to take care since she is already mid 60 and their era is really totally diff from now..

Back