(2010/07) July 2010 MTB

AK,

hugz. Men! They r really not very sensitive and expressive.

But hor, u also must give ur hubby a chance to get involved in caring for bb. After all, his life must have changed too when the bb came along. Perhaps in future when ur hubby got to go out of town again u consider asking ur mum to stay over at ur place to help u? Tt's wat I did when I had post natal blues and my hubby got to be away. I got my sisters to come over to keep me company.

As for teaching him to care for bb, y not be like serene, watch you tube. Afterall, bathing, feeding and burping not difficult to learn.

Hope u r feeling better [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

Day 2 of sleep training

I realise I am very hard hearted. Really let my barely one month old cry till voice hoarse. Sigh, must bite bullet. Soon soon he will fall asleep on his own.

jastine: from wat i know is 30mins - 1 hrs max if the milk can't finish at rm temp..

AK: don't cry le..if HB can't help then we gotta help ourself. can understand tt u want him to help u out. but then typical guys are non understanding on tt..

u can try staying over at yr mum's place then help to look after bb too..esp there's family members u are close n also can lighten up yr mood..must stay bright up n relax now..if not no energy to battle with bb..

sillyhp: u just leave him to cry and did he manage to slp? I always let my boy cry and he will just cry until the whole face black red. I so scared he cant breathe. Hahaha..

HI mummies, thanks for your encouragement and advise. Now i am facing another problem. Could any of you give me some advise?

Initially i was on total breast feeding, and then i pump out the rest after my bb stops sucking. firstly my bb keeps falling asleep when he is breast feeding and sometimes i spend almost about an hour just to feed him on one breast and i am not sure how much he actually drinks. So when i went to see my PD, i told him about this problem and also that bb poos about 6 to 8 times but only urine 2 times which i thought seems wierd. The pd says that if he only urine twice means he is not getting enough and suggest i express out my bm to feed him so that i know exactly how much he is consuming.

The problem is i realised that relying totally on my pump, my supply starts to drop, or there would be totally no milk coming out. So i started to let my bb suckle for a while before i express out my milk and bottle feed him. Even with this, my supply seem to drop. My supply drop from 150ml both breast to 100ml then to 80ml and just now to 50ml. Any mummies who faced this problem before can share with me what did you do to solve this problem? Also how often to you all express your milk? Do you do it after you feed your bb or do you stick to standard routine?

Also the nurse told me that my bb is drinking 60ml of milk every four hourly, however when i am home, my bb wakes up at very different timing to feed. Example some times after feeding him 60ml, he will still wake up 2 hrs later asking for more, and at other times he will probably drink only 30ml and yet sleeps for the next 5 hours. Do you all have the same experience?

Nipple Shield: Any mummies using nipple shield? At the hospital during my first brestfeeding session, the nurse after failing to help me latch my bb says that it is coz my nipple is too short and i should use a nipple shield. So i have been doing that till the day i was discharged, another nurse saw and told me i do not need that actually, and she helped me successfully latch my bb on. When i am home, i kept trying to latch my bb on without the shield but after a few tries bb gets fustrated and starts crying and i will give in and use the shield again. Is there any disadvantages of using the shield?

Lumps in the breast: Just to share, i was suffering from engorgment too, and the nurse in the hospital helped me massage my breast real hard and it really ease the engorgement a little, so when i was home, i got my hubby to help me as it was too painful to massage myself. During that session he massaged away all the lumps and i really emptied my breast fully and i got 160ml of breast milk when previously i usually have only 20 to 40 ml. Now my breast feels so much more comfortable and when lumps occur, i just have to lightly massage myself and it will ease off. So for those who are experienceing the same problem perhaps you can try that. But it will be really painful the first time.

Oh and how much is it to consult a lactaction consultant? And if i delivered at gleneagles, can i still consult the LC at TMC? And may i have the contact?

Thanks a lot!

kepsis: u can consult a LC at TMC even tho u didnt deliver there..

the consult depends on the length of the session i tink.

i paid 80bucks for the consult.

jaclyn: which LC u met at TMC?

Not sure who can i consult...

I recently got cold sore and instead of applying the cream given by doc my mom ask me apply ointment which dries up my 'bubbles' pox below my nose. Is this considered recovered and i can resume breastfeeding?

Who can i go and check with? the normal doc at any clinic?

My BB been drinking enfalc.. Sigh! from ytd the poo is one lump one lump...then he shit also 'cake' until face red red. Very jia lat.. FM really heaty sia... gonna go back BF my BB.

Sweetkiss: better see a doc for your lumps esp if you have fever. I kena from mastitis during wk 2 with high fever. the antibiotics will deal with the fever but you will need to massage to clear the lumps. it may be difficult for you to massage, better to get someone e.g. hubby or msg lady to clear as it will be super painful.

kepis: i am facing something similiar now as well. I was bf with total latch on for the first 10 days. but I had some probem with my bb latching so I went back to LC to consult. at the consultation, I discovered tt my bm ss had dropped since wk 1. so LC advised me to top up with FM while boosting my ss up again. They advise me to pump after each latch. but I find tt it was too tiring and time consuming to latch and pump. so I have decided to pump exclusively at 3-hr interval until my ss catches up. This is my 4th day since switching to pumping exclusively, I am still trying to catch up.

Hi mummies!

For those who use Medela freestyle the US version, may I know where can i buy it from? The pump is also different from Medala Swing? Is there a website to order from? So far, the US version does not have any problems right? TIA!

DQ: Thanks for the info. Call the parent craft clinic right?

Pohling: Ya Somehow i have to have my bb latch on before my milk will start flowing, if i pump directly no milk come out. So now latch then pump lor. Each session takes me 2 hrs at least coz got to latch, burp bb, make him sleep then pump. Tired sia, but scared my ss drop. ok think i will try out at four hourly since my bb been feeding 2 hourly so far.

charliebrown: i bought mine from the spree from a lady called tan leng leng. ya freestyle is different from swing. been using my pump for about 4 days now, so far so good. but do note that the US version do not have warranty in Singapore ya.

Hi Charlie

u can go to the forum and check for any one ordering medela pump from US. I think recently there is one you can ctrl+F "medela".

I'm using medela freestyle bought via forum 500+ est $600. cheaper than SG cost $988. Medela Swing never use before so unable to advise. So far nothing wrong using the pump.

DQ: last time my boy oso like that drink milk the face can turns very very red (he quite white during birth so very obvious) n puke milk out everytime so brought him see PD n was told it's ok nothing to worry abt... so long not vomit out milk then it's ok but if u still worry juz spend abit of $ go let PD hv a check on bb

sweetkiss: u try to push from outwards inside to ur nipple...push hard, hurts at first but better to do it fast if not later very jialat can fever n go LC expensive mah....it's blockage liao

AtomicKitten: bb still young so not to worry, u better bring bb back early n spend few days then bb will want u liao....u see how ur mum takes care of bb n keep to the routine she've set up if u finds it ok then bb will b more comfy that way when back home....as for ur hb, dun bother abt that first....my hb oso like that even till now #2 liao....u must 'kan kai' if not later depression lagi worst....must rem ur bb nids u so must tahan abit

kepsis: wad i do is to latch n pump after bb finish....if bb still not enuff after latching then i'll bottle feed more...juz to make sure she hv enuff....no nid to worry....juz continue to latch if u r keen to n topup bottle feed lor....now still starting stage so shd b able to bring up ur ss...if not get some med from doc

Hi Kepsis and ceres

Thanks for the reply! Is it difficult to clean Medala Freestyle? I heard that both Medala Freestyle and PIS are efficient in pumping milk. Wondering if Medala Freestyle is better than Medala PIS? TIA! Sorry for so many questions.

Morning Mummies!

I am back! [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif] Hope that you gals are doing fine!

I am giving EBM and FM (during the night) for my boy.. He is a big drinker, drinking 100 - 110ml every 2.5hours, and I couldnt keep up with his demand! Have been taking medicine to boost my ss but seems to be stagnant at 70 - 80ml when I pump every 4 hourly.

Kepsis - U can try latching your BB on one breast while pumping on the other.. I heard of mums doing that but she use manual pump. The let down is faster and because u're already latching on one side, brain tells body to produce more. You may need an extra pair of hands to help you do that if you're using electric pump. I tried before but failed, cannot jaga pump n BB at the same time.

Oh.. the above helps to clear block ducts too.. I had engorgement when my milk flow kicks in too.. in the end tahan e pain and push out the milk myself. Use hot towel first then massage then pump. Pump a while liao massage again then pump again.. slowly the block will clear.

Morning Mummies!

I am back and hope that you gals are doing fine! [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

I am giving EBM and FM (during the night) to my boy, so far okie. He is a big drinker (36 days old today), taking 100 - 110ml every 2.5hours and I couldnt keep up with his demand. Have been taking medicine to boost ss but it have been stagnant, I am only able to pump 70 - 80ml every 4 hourly. Really envy those mummies who are able to pump so much at one go..

DQ: Theres no particular LC ... they assign one to me but then 2-3 popped in to talk to me and help me oso. Basically they put u into a room, u take out ur top.. and cannot be shy one cos there might be 2-3 more mommies in there all topless as well. Hehee. They will massage your breast for you to help you get rid of any lumps or engorgement or blocked ducts.... its painful so be prepared. After this pain.. u will feel better de!! [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

hmm.. seems like we r expressing almost e same amount.. but i really wish that i can express more so that i wont feel so stressed over baby not having bm when he needs..

Immas - Dont be stressed, we give whatever we can.. FM isnt too bad after all, not forgetting that most of us here are fed with FM previously.

I try to give EBM to my boy for 6 months, 1 month gone.. 5 more months to go before giving him semi-solid food! :)

immas: dun worry....last time i oni BF my boi partially....i feel it's not really BF bbs sure healthier....FM fed bb oso can b very healthy...juz give wad u hv

my ss juz barely enuff for my girl now this time...i've started intro FM to her in case my BM drops n she rejects FM that's lagi worst....so i wan her to take both

wah.. today i feel my breast is super full.. even after latching several times, i can feel tingling sensation and its full again.. decide to pump out... in total.. i pumped 200ml!! thats crazy... if my supply is this amt, i wonder how much my bb is drinking now...

after her growth spurt recently, my breast seems super full every now and then.. let down is also super fast that she fuss and push away my breast. now i have to pump and dump precious milk so that i have a slower let down...

Hi ladies,

Since the birth of my second boy, my first boy now 26 months, had been seeking attention, such as crying for milk when he used to tell us he wants milk. Lately, he will cry in his sleep, like baby "eh eh eh" type, and wait for us to pacify him, like we do for baby. He is now 26 months and his voice is loud in the night. Last night, he does that almost every hour, his eyes were close and seems to be doing it unconsciously. Does any one has such an experience and any tips how to resolve it?

Suntan: I bought from her but i think my conversion higher and i paid extra to get it faster. so is $500+.

Charlie: freestyle the only thing i dun like is the strelising. Must boil water cannot use the streliser like pigeon or avent. I tried once the shield now abit out of shape. Sad but still useable.

peace(II),

hey, I have faced exactly the same situation as you!! My first boy is 15 mths now, ever since my bb gal is born, my boy has been so attention seeking esp in the nite while sleeping, he makes lots of loud sounds and noises, even while sleeping with his eyes closed too!! Very frustrating at times, cos the noises do disturb his little sister at times as we all sleep in the same room. Haiz... dont know how leh. My hubby is in charge of taking care of my boy and I am in charge of the bb gal since I tbf her. So my hb will get up to look and give him water or sayang our boy to make him quiet. But then, our boy is 'sleeping' throughout n yet he can respond to our coaxing still...I wonder what this is all about. What did you do?

We have been giving lots of attention to our boy still, lots of hugs and kisses and play time with him...but somehow he is like tat, I guess this is inevitable ba. Hope he will be back to normal soon.

peace: my boi is sticky to mi now he's 19mos now...hv to keep telling him he've got siblings now? i keep doing that till bb's birth n must let him get involved when i take care of his meimei...let him patpat her or even take her milk bottle for me etc....i believed he's jealous of bb

serene,

dun throw the excess milk away. can either ask hubby to drink (if he wans) or use it to wash ur own face.

ceres,

Ic, but now i still dump everything into the steriliser..i heck care.

Serene,

Wow, that's a lot! Don't dump lah.. can wash ur face or feet or bathe with it!

Jo lynn,

Yeap, I let him cry for a good 30 mins then shifted his position when he choked a bit. He fell asleep immediately but hor, after 5 minutes got up again. I just repeat the procedure.. carry then kiss then pat pat then lay him down while his eyes are half closed.

Still battling though.. 8.45 till 11pm b4 giving him a bottle of EBM. Then he slept till 3am b4 waking up for milk.

Not easy. Must really tahan the wailing.

serene,

I am in same situation as you too! I dont know why my bm ss suddenly increases alot. I feel that it is due to my bb latch on a bit more frequent the day b4, so yest the ss was alot...so much that the bm just 'sprayed' out and all over her face and she cried! I was so shocked and kept saying sorry to my bb and wiped her face! Yest was scary, used lots of small towels to wipe the leaked milk. My let down was very fast too, the bm keep flowing out once I want to bf my bb, and she is so tiny and her mouth is so small, I see that the flow is fast for her and so sometimes she unlatches herself in order not get choked. And I find that she cant empty even one side of bm most of the times, and sometimes the milk will just flow out of her mouth when she falls asleep while latching on, so wasted...I just told myself it is ok, since my body will produce the bm needed.

Btw, I dont express my bm at all this time for long term reasons.

suika,

ya lor, me too, been telling my boy he is gg to have a mei mei and he is gor gor liao ever since I was preggy. Have been trying to involve him when attending to mei mei. Telling him mei mei loves him and he loves mei mei too. But my boy somehow has become a super loudspeaker since mei mei is born, just like to raise his voice all the time... haiz...

sun_tan,

i use the excess milk to clean bb face abit.. but after few mintues, i use water to clean his face again.. LOL~~ scare got pimpes.. LOL~~

heehee~~

my breastmilk also spray all over my bb face.. and he alway cannot tahan.. and kena choke too.. cough.. but drink until like 10 min, then let it go.. he also drink one side.. then fall back to slp le..

Hershey,

yes it is ok to feed one side each feeding. I never believe tat must always empty 2 sides for every feed. No need to pump out too. It is simply the theory of dd n ss, unless u want to store the ebm for future use.

So dont worry abt not having enough bm, mummies.

Bliss & Serene: Girls... same same. I can latch my son until he is satisfied on 1 boob. Then I pump the other boob and still can yield 120ml. Also the spraying thing, I just kena only. Son was drinking and cos my latch wrong so i unlatch him then the BM Spray all over his face and even into his nose i think! Everytime pump session or latch session I surely use up at least 2 towels. One to hold the leak of the other breast and the other to clean up son's face.

But our problem is a healthy problem. Mdm Ida says to store whatever we can cos u never know when supply will drop.

for mommies facing supply probs, maybe can do what I been doing. I latch my bb and will continue with pumping out except when im outside. Even if i feel breasts r empty i will still pump for awhile to empty them further and to stimulate/maintain supply. Do that only when u want to store/freeze milk... cos there will be excess than what ur bb takes.. see if it works! Must be patient!

As for asking hubby to drink excess milk, he joked that he will divorce me if I sneak the milk into his coffee... WA LAO!

Peace, my 25mths old daughter has been waking up for milk at night since bb arrives. She can sleep through the night without waking up for milk since she was 6 mths old but nowadays she can wake up 1 or 2 times. Haiz. Hope this phase faster over.

Bliss,

so is ok for bb to drink 1 side, it doesnt matter how long they drink, issit??

but how u deal with the other side when milk is flowing out?? i nv store them or "catch" them in the milk bottle worz...

Bliss and Suika,

During the day, #1 goes to child care, and I will spend time with #2. Once #1 returns home, I will spend more time with #1 than with #2. Moreover, #1 sleeps with me, while my helper is looking after #2 at night.

During pregnancy, I would always show #1 my growing tummy and taught him that's didi inside. After delivery, we kept telling him didi is no longer in the tummy but point and show him "here is didi." Maybe he still did not understand what that means.

When he tries to pat didi, his strength is so strong, he seems to be beating didi. Sometimes he will pull his legs and pull off the booties. Didi will respond with cries. Alamak, then we will tell kor kor, gentle gentle or just carry didi away.

sad sia... BB forgot how to suck. I got to lie on bed n let him suck like sucking frm bottle. If he cannot remember i gonna do EBM liao..

Only for 3 days no BF he forgot everything!

cheerymum,

same here, my elder boy demand for milk every nite now since mei mei is born...really jialat leh. He got all the behaviours you all mentioned.

Hershey,

yes it is perfectly ok for bb to feed only 1 side. Individual bb has different appetite mah. But they should be able to feed faster when they grow older, shouldnt be 1 hr every feed liao. Some bbs can feed for less than 10 mins every feed and v full too. Anyway, it really depends on the bb pattern. Suckle for too long is no gd for the mother and the bb.

I am wearing breast pads all the time, so when i bf one side, the other side is covered with pad, and vice versa. I never store them, cos I am a sahm without helper and somemore with 2 bbs, I have no time to pump out in long term, so I never start this habit anyway. Just leave the bm there, will feed bb with the bm next feeding. This is the wonder of nature, our body will do the job for us, no need to worry about that. That is what the mothers in the early days did, they hv no pump n also no time to pump out, since they hv so many kids to look after and lots of housework to do, but then they can still bf their bbs for years. [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

ceres: He will remember one! Just continue to let him practise k! I give bb chloe EBM during daytime all the way till 11pm then switch to FM so that she sleeps 3 1/2 to 4 hours in the midnight (so we can rest too). I still latch her on during daytime sometimes so that she won't forget..

Immas: How much is your baby drinking now? 100ml per pump not enough? my bb is drinking 80-90ml now, so still ok for me.. I feed her FM at night, so i am ahead of her now..

CDA Account - I didnt receive the baby bonus kit from the hospital earlier. Now I need to go ICA or any hospitals (except Alexandra, TTS and Changi) to collect the baby bonus kit. Need to fill in those form and send back to MCYS.

Sigh.. thought of opening the account over this weekend.. :/

hihi..

any1 encounter rashy skin for bb? my bb has been hving rashy skin n pd gave a solution 2 shower her..but dun seem 2 go away..skin still got spots n rough rough..ani other good methods?

Shann: wah! Chloe bigger than Keegan 1 day right? Now Keegan drinking 70ml... i thought alot but judging from Chloe should be ok.

As for latching.. will try continue. Sometime see his face reject me until cry i very sad..

Minmin: i got the bonus kit like when i book the ward with the hospital wor. When i went KKH register BB birth cert, i took the paper inside the kit and do it once and for all..

StarXin: My BB is oily skin then got pimples on cheeks now forehead also. No rashes though. [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/sad.gif]

Back