(2010/05) May 2010 mtb

yeah luckyone. that's what i do too! cook and freeze. very convenient! and each ice cube tray comes in a fixed small quantity, so i will always know how much food bb is eating without having to measure. but my ice cube trays no cover, so i use cling wrap instead. in any case, there isn't anything in my freezer except packs of FBM and ice cream, so sometimes i don't bother to cover. will transfer them out as soon as they are frozen.

my mother does complain about me freezing the food as she insists that fresh food is better. i know fresh food better, but it's quite tough to have to wake up earli in the morning to make like that small volume of puree to bring to bbsitter. she understands, so usu we only do fresh puree on weekends. of course i will make more and freeze the rest for the week.

for making cereal, i use the scoops from the FM tin. Have collected a lot of them. so if i make like 30ml of cereal (about 2 scoops for me), add water to desired consistency (i don't follow the instructions) and stir.

then add 1 cube of whatever defrost puree. my ice cube tray makes about 30ml/cube. so Chloe would have eaten about 60ml of stuff if she finishes all. hehe.

othertimes when i just feed like feeding puree, i will just defrost 2 cubes for her.

i use the pigeon food warmer to defrost the puree. just dump the cubes into the bowl provided, and on to highest settings to heat up the water fast and adjust to 70C when the water boils.

on not lazy days, i will make the cereal in her feeding bowl and pour the puree in. on lazy days, i will put the cereal mix direct into the puree and add water. hahahaha... less thing to wash is always good for me!

Cabbage and Chinese Cabbage - boiled, chop, mash, freeze with ice cube tray (with cover type) then transfer to zip lock bag.

Can keep for 1 week.

[IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/messages/2495852/4767190.png]

CholeMum, you can buy the ice cube tray with cover from daiso 2.00 or Takashimaya B1 about 3.80. Actually before I start frozen food for my boy, I did check whether is it healthy to do that. I found out some hospital (other countries, s'pore I don know) and evern there's baby frozen food recipe book selling. Dietician also recommand this method for working mother.

As long you freeze you food fast (means after the cooked food cool down, qickly put in the frozer) or another way for fast freeze is put your ice cube tray/ container in a stainless steel tray, that will help foods freeze fast.

The above preparation for solid food is for 5 to 6 months baby. If your baby turned 7 months, 9 months and 12 months, you don have to mash the food anymore. Just cut/ chop to small pcs and freeze it.

If any of you need other vegetables/ meat preparation picture, let me know ya! I try to find for you.

AR, recipe for my boy menu? Very easy one just boiled, chop, mash! If you need to freeze the food, can refer to my picture provided.

Vegetables Soup - you can mixed all "sweet" vege like carrot, cabbage, onion, chinese cabbage, white carrot, sweet corn what ever you like.

In the picture there's "muchroom", ah.. better don give your baby muchroom below 8 months.

throw all vege to a big pot, boil for at least half an hour. Don't add any salt, soy sauce.

pour in a ice cube tray, after cool down freeze it, then transfer to zip lock bag.

[IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/messages/2495852/4767268.png]

Tomato Sauce - boil onion and tomato (remove skin and seeds), add a 1/4 or 1/2 cup water, pour in a ice cube tray, then transfer to zip lock bag.

All frozen baby food can only keep in the frozer for 1 week.[IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/messages/2495852/4767314.png]

Luckyone: yeaps. i also read up a lot on the internet regarding freezing of bb foods before i started doing that. really not much choice for working mothers.

for soup can also freeze in cubes. so just use whatever you need each time. small cubes are a lot ezier to defrost too.

To cool the cooked food fast, can also put the food in a metal bowl and stand in ice cold water.

thanks for the tip on covered ice trays! i wanted to use the milk trays initially, but it was too long to fit the VIA cups which i use to pack food to bring to bbsitter. hehe. i shall head to daiso once i can go out of the house. haha. totally love daiso!

shall make my mother go buy vege to make the veg soup once she comes back from her hols. shall use the veg soup to make chloe's cereal! hehe... sounds healthy. yumm yummmmm...

for mummies who bring bbs to IFC, maybe can consider giving soup and cereal to IFC to feed. soup and cereal are almost colourless, so less likely to stain bb's clothes. will be less nightmarish to clean up when u bring bb home.

BLW: my BLW cookbook has finally arrived! really neat little book. There's about 50 pages write up on BLW inside which i find totally cool!

and so my partial BLW has began. Chloe shall get her apple/veg sticks every evening. Daytime she goes to bbsitter, so no choice need to feed the puree and other mashed up stuff by spoon. Older folks very hard to convince, and the last thing i need is for bbsitter to complain about the mess Chloe creates.

My hubby is agreeable to the mess creation, and i think my mother/MIL will be ez to convince.

We had our first official attempt last night with carrot and apple sticks. Chloe seems to enjoy sucking on the sticks of food. We realised that she likes to do that after we offer her teething biscuits 3 weeks back. Will try again tonight.

The mess? There isn't really a big mess. It's very much better than expected.

Maybe cos we started late and Chloe is already quite good at holding stuff and she aims for her mouth quite accurately. So most of the food does land inside her mouth. She will occasionally drop the food on the highchair tray, and try to pick it up (most of the time fail cos the food too slippery). Very few will drop on the floor. So it's really not as messy as we thought it would be.

Don't steam the veg till they are too mushy! Else the bb will squash them and good luck to mummy/daddy who will need to do the clean up.

Alina, your description for boy looking for penis is sooooo funny!! I think threadfin is ikan kurau. Hope this helps.

Sheery, yeps... more likely mummy is the one who sacrifices for baby + daddy? This made me smile though.... http://www.babycenter.com/0_forty-two-things-that-change-when-you-have-a-baby_1452535.bc?scid=momsbaby_20101116:2&pe=2UyWX7N

Chloemum, one more week to go... hang in there!

Pinnky, Tinospora, hope your babies are alright now. *Hugs*

Luckyone, you are one devoted mum! Thanks for inspiring us... your pics are very detailed. Do you have instructional video you can send us the link? hahaha. Can eat tomatoes already? What do you feed it with? For some pics of spinach/cabbage/fish, is it a motar + pestal? How do you mash? I usually blend but abit hard to do it daily so I also freeze during weekend.

I just came back from short trip, if anyone looking to keep milk cool, can try mumsfairy ice pack (gel type), it kept milk chilled for >12hrs.

Chloemum.. its good ur babe is clean.... i gave her carrot sticks and apple today...she will hold in her hand and bang bang bang on the table... then u see water smeared everywhere.. she managed to 'bite' the apple and carrot... then little bits fall all over the place..sigh... gave her long beans.. water drip everywhere... became mush from all the chewing but nothing entered her stomach i think... broccoli.. she held the floret and sucked the stalk instead!! and i thot babies held the stalk and sucked at the floret..then she would look right look left swing it around in her hand...and then drop.... and everytime she dropped it on the floor... she would scream and cry.....

thanks for the tip on the milk tray.. i have a brand new one never used and couldn't figure out wat to do with it... yeah can use to store soup didn't think of that cos the ice cube trays look so small to me i have been using baby cubes for everything so far...probably will use it more when i start cooking porridge for her... in the 8th month.. cereal and puree will do for now... too lazy hahaha.....

Lilstar, your baby is cute! they all do the same "swing and throw" stuns. just that i was lucky mine landed back on her or the high chair table top.

i figured can use the milk trays and ice cube trays for lotsa stuff. i just refuse to waste the stuff that i bought since i have a tendency to overbuy stuff. might as well be creative and make my money worth.

if u have older kids, u can put Popsicle sticks in the milk tray with whatever juice/milk. Makes healthy ice cream! will be good for parties too. I used to do that with milo when i was young cos my mother refuse to buy me ice cream.

Wanderleibe, yes, diaso plaza sing is gone. for quite a while already. i definitely hope that they are not going away for good.

hello mummies! want to ask if any of you have heard anything about Happy Times Cereal??

I tried to buy it today, and only managed to find it at the 5th supermarket!! The first 4 (including NTUC, Cold Storage and Shop & Save) all dont carry or out of stock!!!!! Seems a bit strange ah... then I went online to check - seems like in the past some ppl found insects in the cereal!!! Anyone heard of any recent findings?? Should be safe since it's still on the NTUC shelf right (although it's the only NTUC I know that sells it)?

Lucasmummy,

Thks! Banner alr in the works. I'm just gg to finish up next week.

Chloemum, Wanderleibe,

Daiso has reopen at ps! I was there on Monday. I can shop there for two hrs n only spend $10! Hah! Love the jap food there. But not so pram friendly cos too cramp!

Hi mummies, I'm new here. Wld like to seek some advice. Our babies is now moving into 7 mth, do ur babies sleep thru the night? Do u wake them up for night feeds?

Cos my baby is the type tat will not cry out loud for milk at night, but when u carry him up and feed him after 4hr, u knw he is hungry n needs it when he is turning his head left right looking for nipple.

His weight is at 25th-50th percentile, worried he will dip under 50th, tats y been waking him for night feeds.

But for the past few nights, he whine when carry up for night feed. I was wondering if it's ok to leave him longer than 5-6 hrs before feed him. He sleeps at 9-9.30pm, wakes at 7-7.30am.

@smak

Yup, saw healthy times cereal in ntuc at TPY, AMK area. Jus for ur reference, I started my baby first food with Bellamy organic rice cereal.. [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif] then slowly proceed to add broccoli n carrot after a week.

chillimum... yay yay yay!! where issit? i haven't been out for long time except to work. feel so sua ku.

smak, oh i haven't heard anything about Healthy Times Cereal... pancake is organizing BP and i was thinking to buy. errr insects sound scary!

chloemum, u mentioned bellamys order delivery.. u bought online? whr from?

luckyone, the ice cube trays need to sterilize b4 use? or just run thru with hot water?

saw some mummies doing blw.. whats the diff between normal weaning and blw?

jasmine, my bb in the 25th percentile.. he slps at ard 9.30pm till next morning 7am.. most days he doesnt wake up for nite feeds, only feed him at 6am.. pd says its ok to be below 50th percentile.. size of bb depends on parents size too.. if both parents nt big size bb < 50th percentile not unusual.. so long as baby progresses along the 25th percentile line and nt drop significantly can already..

Jojo, the cereals i bought from the BP here. http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/messages/581296/4412528.html?1290304866

Jojo: i don't sterilize all the weaning stuff. ice cube trays, milk trays, spoons, bowls, whatever. but i guess it's up to u lar.

jasmine: i do give my bb dreamfeed around 12.30am every night so that she will only wake up hungry at 7am. she's still on 3hrly 130ml feeds, she doesn't seem to want to drink more each feed. but she's taking a fair bit of cereal 2x a day. that 2 times the milk feed will extend a little. so she still does like 6 bottles of 130ml milk a day.

Luckyone.. u are such a hardworking mummy!!! I am impressed!! U took all those pics?? wow.. u have done so much for ur bb.. BTW, where can i get covered ice trays? My bb is end may bb so not yet turned 6 mths, i started him only on cereal, sweet potato and avocado.. will give him some biscuits soon.. but will prob start porridge only at 7-8 mth.. when i start porridge i feel that he is such a big boy now.. so bu she de.. i like him to stay as a bb.. just drink milk and eat pureed food.. even though he is my #2.. i still enjoy him a lot like my #1.. [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

Chloemum.. u offer ur ger steam carrots and steam apple? or just normal apple?

genice. carrot i steam. apples i just cut and give. cut a few pieces for chloe the rest i eat. haha.

covered ice trays, luckyone mentioned can get from diaso. if u have milk trays, can use that too. if not, can use normal ice cube trays and cover with cling wrap before putting into freezer.

Lucasmummy - norm office hrs [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/sad.gif]

Xmas gift:

1 gift per family hor? I goin to shop for it ltr

Hello Mummies!

Parenthood Fair 2010

Date: 26-28 Nov

Time: 10.30am - 9pm

Venue: Singapore Expo Hall 4A

Happy Bellies Cereal:

I've gotten 2 tins of brown rice cereals at USD3.91. Selling it away at $5. I remembered 3 mummies ordered from me, actually got 3 tins but realised one didn't have expiry date upon paying and the queue was super long. Email me if you want to get it from me [email protected].

I also recycle chicken essence, gerber glass bottles to store veg/ meat stock, put in freezer then to use cook yu yan San si Shen brown rice..

Hi mummies..

Is it ok if we do not freeze the stock but just leave it in the fridge compartment for next day used?

My parents were very against of me freezing the food. Sometimes, I will still chill the puree for the next day. Thus, I normally keep for the next day, latest.

Chloemum, AR, Edie and mummies: Sorry, I need to cancel the meeting on 24th November as I have too much to handle on that off day. Let's do it on 1st!

Chloemum, do u have half a day off? or do u have a preferred date?

haha... i dun have off days darling. i have to take leave. i need to check if can take leave that day when i go back to work. still on mc. =P

Lucasmummy, general rule is keep in fridge 3 days freezer 3 months meat products freezer 1 month...well thats wat my annabel karmel book says anyway.....

Wah i just went to petit bowl just now and bought their baby freezer capsules.... basically their capsules are those chilli sauce plastic containers that sometimes when u da bao they give u... or maybe slightly smaller but something like that.. anyway 9 of those for $9.50! 3 flavours... i bought brussel sprouts, zucchini and black rice.. stuff i would not buy home and dun intend to eat... but let her try since when she grow up she prob won't eat these as well.... i just can't figure out wat black rice is.. i have in my head that dessert thingy u eat with coconut.. bubu hitam or something....anyway will see how she takes to it...

mummies do u find ur babes poo more after starting solids... my girl normally poo 1x but after start solids can become 3x a day.. and its not diarrhea.. and its sooo much.... but then she eats so little so i can't figure it out....

The food at petit bowl is nice! ESP their rice thingy. Black rice is like dessert thing. But they're quite exp. But convenient.

hello good morning!

WanderLeibe, don say that, I'm just "keipo" to share the information I know (^^;).

It's quite headache to cook baby solid food.

Before I start, I did ask my SIL maid how she cooked baby for my SIL daughter, she said porridge, fish and green vegetable. Almost every day the same thing. Occasionally, add small little pc of pumpkin. Some more she throw everything in and cook haiz...where got taste!

No wonder I heard my niece refuse to eat and then till 2 years old, she eat very little only drink milk (Now getting better but still very skinny).

I don want my boy to be picky on food.

So I try to cook tasteless veg mixed with "sweet veg".Like: broccoli/cauliflower with pumpkin/sweet potato, spinach with carrot, xiao bai cai with white carrot or sweet corn with chinese cabbage.

But according to IFC teacher, my boy doesn't like carrot.I will try mixed carrot with cabbage and see how his response is.

And baby will get constipation after start solid food so have to take more vegs and fruits.

I spend a lot of times searching internet on solid food, what kind of food baby can eat. Then I found out there's basically 4 stages: 5 to 6 h, 7 to 8, 9 to 12 & 12 to 18 months.

5 to 6 months can eat a lot of thing like: carrot, pumpkin, potato, sweet potato, cabbage, chinese cabbage, spinach, xiao bai chai, tomato, onion (big one), broccoli, cauliflower, white fish, dried young sardines, egg yolk, white bread (soak with veg soup or milk), porridge.

No video clip for cooking baby food leh, only with pictues.

Tomato - I bought the small tomato (round one) mixed with big onion. Very sweet taste.

Yeap share with you my boy weekend food picture, just happened to take photo to keep in his 1st year album.

Actually I did compare with "fresh" cooked porridge and vegetables, It taste and look the same like what I freeze and defrost.

So, that why I have no more worries on frozen baby food haha (^-^)

Porriage, egg yolk with veg soup, broccoli and pumpkin

[IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/messages/2495852/4772756.jpg]

Porridge, white carrot, xiao bai cai, sweet corn, white fish with veg soup.

[IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/messages/2495852/4772783.jpg]

Hi morning mummies,

Luckyone, your pictures are very useful but too small. I can't see. Where to locate the pictures? Can find online? Or u take yourself?

good morning.

lilstarz,

my gal also start to poo 2-3 times a day now. used to b once a day. i suppose its due to her eating semi solids n her increase in milk intake too. err like if only milk then it cld expel by urine or sweating, semi solids... only through pooing. n omg it really stinks! lol

Wanderleibe,

Daiso moved up to level 5 at ps. same end of the mall. same level as spotlight [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

Luckyone,

i agree you r really experimental in letting bb try solid food. so far my gal only had sweet potato n pear. i pureed pumpkin over the weekend for her. waiting for her to finish her old food then start this. it taste really gd. really sweet.

now im trying to set routing for breakfast and lunch for bb. breakfast will be oats cereal w fm. lunch will be brown rice cereal n puree. still too lazy to cook! hah! hmmm probably on weekends when im at hm can try to cook porridge for her. weekdays im at work v difficult la. can we freeze porridge? kekeke

Jojo, I also just run thru with water. Baby after start solid food, you don have to sterilize everything lah.

genice, yeap can get it from daiso but the cover can't covered tight enoght. The one I bought from Takashimaya $3.80 each, the cover can covered very tight so you don't have to worry if you freezer keep "raw" food. Avocado...I will start that later because I bought a baby magazine and it said avocado and brown rice, etc start on later stage.

But if your baby is ok with that, should be ok bah (^-^)

skmama, freeze baby food, yes! Why not! Join our group haha.

You will "love" frozen baby food after you start.

I also eat my baby frozen food every nite.

I don feel anything wrong with it.

But remember, altho it is ok to freeze, for baby, the expiry date is 1 week only.

impulse41, I found it from Japan website.

Yeap very useful, Japan website there's a lot of information on baby sliod food and menu.

grrr im trying to locate the posts on travelling w bb but its lost dunno where!

im gg to KL this weekend. can anyone advise me how to bring bb necessities? milk powder? can bring the whole tin? how abt her food? her cereal i can transport in the via cup. but cant transport her frozen puree. i think im gg to bring those jar food in this case. then her bottle cleanser...brush...bowl...i think a lot of stuff to bring. maybe i bring less n just buy there. any tips???

oh n we r gg to travel by coach! haha wish me luck! hope tat bb wont b cranky. if not we gonna carry bb parade up n down the aisle of the bus!!!>.<

luckyone,

haha ya i love to make puree n freeze it. feel v satisfying as i made it myself! :p guess i wld love to freeze porridge too lol

how much quantity r u feeding bb now? cos my gal is now taking abt 60ml of brown rice cereal n puree. if i freeze... 60ml of porridge, kekeke v little rite? look so funny.

skmama, porridge 60ml, 2 kind of vegetables - 3 spoons each (1 spoon 2.5ml), fish, egg yolk, tofu dried sardines also 3 spoons each.

But seem not enough for him leh, after he finished, he said for some more...

The information that I read, baby around 6 months, food portion is about that, I don dare to increase leh.

Next month when he turned 7 months, I will feed him twice a day.

luckyone,

oh ya huh, u cook the dishes seperately. yr bb like eating "teochew miua"! must be nice tat y he ask for more.

for me, i will cook the porridge w the "dishes" like carrot/sweet potato/watever and then freeze it. ok rite?

skmama, no lah, it's because I wan to take picture to keep in his album so I "display" it.

Normally, I will heat up the porridge 1st and then heat all veg together and pour on the porridge.

I cook porridge and veg sparely (cook potato, carrot, sweet potato, pumpkin in 1 pot and cabbage, chinese cabbage, spinach etc in another pot).

I tried throw everything in porridge to cook together but taste not so good. I personally don like cause I'm also eating "solid food" haha... So I guess since I don like, my baby also feel that way..

luckyone! your bb's food looks really yummy lor! ytd i made green pea puree and pumpkin puree. mix into her 2 meals of cereal separately. 1 meal white rice cereal with green pea, 1 meal brown rice cereal with pumpkin. i see liao sian 1/2. now i call them green goo and purple goo. see liao also unappetizing. no wonder my ger was eyeing the duck drumstick my MIL was eating.

for the egg yolk, you just make hard boil egg and give the mashed up yolk? i wanna try too. sick of seeing the gooey coloured stuff.

talking about MIL, she actually tried to feed braise duck to my ger lar! arggghhh... now i understand the many posts last week on MIL! darn. luckily ILs only come over once a week. i almost jumped out of my chair lar. the duck is so darn salty n oily! even i find it salty. and she insist that my girl only licked it. who knows how much u will feed her if i didn't stop u in time? OMG! and subsequently she kept repeating to my FIL about how she tried to feed my ger the drumstick and how i jumped and said cannot. DOH! if my ger gets stomach upset, she won't be the one looking after lar!

CholeMum, yeap hard boil egg and mash it but don give whole yolk, that will be too much for baby.

Understand you feeling, that why I insist feed my baby myself.

MIL "ba.ba.ba.." when she saw me giving my baby frozen food.

I remember I saw her and FIL without washed their hand use hand to feed my SIL's daughter food! They even feed her coffee and said cause she like it! I don dare let them bring my boy go out. Sorry to say that altho they're his grand parent but I really can't imagine what they will feed my boy loh...

I insist no "outside food" for my boy below 2 years old.

Back