(2010/01) January 2010 mtb

little lamb, I think its not about heating too long. Its about the correct water temperature to warm the ebm. If the temperature is too high, it might kill the nutrients. So need to set it to low temperature but will take a longer time to warm the milk. That's one of the draw back of using ebm as we need to warm it up. Sometimes when the baby is screaming, we got no choice but to use the expressway methods.

Jessie,

i mean he'll cry if he doesn't drink enough, so I'll continue to latch him for another 5 to 8 mins. If he sleeps when I put him down in his bed, then I'll assume he has drink enough.

Re Fitti pampers: So many of you ordering. Any feedback on how good they are say compared with nepia?

Smalldreams, Jessie, fatbabe, Sweet: Thanks.. [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif] She looks a lot like jiejie. [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

Liverpool: Am down with 1 maid + CL cos we sent the Philly off. The Indo is really good. She is able to look after my 2 elder kids, while squeezing in some household chores when they nap or at night. We've found a replacement maid (an indo) and got my existing Indo to speak to her as well. She will come only on 22nd or so. Hopefully she can be trained up. Her eng is not good. :p

You know what? My challenge will be when my CL leaves home for the CNY. That period coincides with my #1 school's CNY holiday. I think hubby has to take leave and stay at home to help out liao.

Luvbabe: All NB babies fall into a few moulds.. They look almost the same. [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

Littlelamb: Don't have to change wardrobe. I was able to get back into pre-preg jeans/pants/skirts/dresses etc for my 1st 2 pregnancies. Think you're on the slim side, shdn't have any prob going back into pre=preg figure.

Lin, Melissa: I peed and pooped on the second day (at the hospital) of C-sect. There was no pain. If you feel pain, ask for stronger painkillers and do you wear a binder? Wearing a binder really helps reduce the pain when we move about.

BM: My girl takes abt 100-110ml per 3hrly since 5 days old. Now at 8 ays old, that amt can last only 2.5 hrly. I think she's a big drinker.. :p

Xin,

my baby wakes up every 2 to 3 hrs for milk. He used to latch for 15 mins during the 1st week. However, on the 2nd week, he latch for 5 to 10 mins then cough and choke. Thereafter, he will fall asleep. If not enough, he'll cry when I put him down on his bed. He is pooing about 4 to 6 times a day. As for pee, we didn't count cos he can pee a few times when we change his diapers.

xin: its harder to handle 2 kids at 1 go but still able to manage since my 1st one goes to childcare.. but really another kind of challenge..

F; dun be sad. EBM is still very good! my milk ss has gone very low. pumping every 4 hrs gives me 10-20ml only! think im gonna stop soon. abit guilty that im gonna stop providing BM for my LO from 2nd mth onwards.. but think its a better arrangement cos now i got more time and energy to take care of him, myself and my elder one as well as spending time w my hb.

BF makes me very stressed and easily irritable. have been shouting alot at my hb and #1. not so good..

sweet: i see, so u have a maid. yah that will help ur parents to take care of 2,. for us , we are not so comfy with maid so never hire. but really more tedious doing everything ourselves...

just hope to ride out the difficult early years for now..

sherry: how come she got pneumonia at such a young age? good that she is doing well now!

gabrielle: so sweet to see ur girl loving her didi! [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

fat_babe: my baby going thru the same thing now for his 3rd week. feeding every 2hrs , even each time is already giving him ard 100ml!

hope its just a growth spurth and he will go back to 3hrs stretch soon. my CL very tired to wake up at night every 2 hrs.. and i also wake up when i hear my son crying... *panda eyes*

anyone using avent bottles? my boy tends to leak alot using teat for newborn from avent. wondering if its the teat or just at this age, they are not that good at suckling teats?

ecookie> hmm also not sure whats the course.. gynae say he himself is surprise how she got it in the womb.. thats by right the safest place. HOwever, pediatrician say there are cases though uncommon.. it could be transmitted thru the bloodstream by me.. i may have the antibotics to fight the virus, but got it pass to BB. am glad she is doing good now. Her bills damn ex for that 5 days but am glad she is ok.. believe thats the most impt for us as parents yeah! she is drinking well and putting on weight gradually.. almost 4kg on her Day 9 [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

For milk supply, have u been drinking enough fish soup etc? U may wanna pump while massage ya breast?

I am using Avent bottles.. so far ok for her.. is he sucking too fast?

AA& A> babe, which agency u get ya maid from ah? Aiyo, hubby now considering the option of having a maid.. *headache* initially, say he dun like to have an extra person at home... thus, already put a deposit to put BB In infant care.. now he say maid seems a better option cause with the same amt of $$, she can help with cooking and housework...

mommies..

Any idea which robinsons has newborn diapers? I've got vouchers so tot I better get some spare diapers.. S size fitti seems a little too long for my LO..

Sweet : I hired my CL for 2 months. Glad I did but also getting attach to her so I will be sad to see her go next month.

Lamb: Wah, can still wear your prepreg pants..mine cannot liao.. must buy new ones! Good thing I am not gg back to SG for CNY or sure stress cos my figure like this, I feel so sad. But I also know it takes time to lost weight and no point worrying too much.

Your LO enjoy her Man Yue ? [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

Er...use sling to poo..... er.. abit sad leh.. I think I will park baby outside my toilet , if she cries, then cry lor. I mean, she poo 3 times a day and I think it is fair she wait if I poo every 2 days!

I should try to write a book " How To Raise A Reasonable Baby" cos these days I am always tellng Arwen to be reasonable. She will sleep so well then SUDDENLY cry for milk. I told her to wait and be reasonable cos I need to heat the EBM and how can she suddenly sleep then want milk. I told her real life not like that. KEKE!

Yeah!!! I slept 5.5 hours! I feel quite good and alert , hope it last.I want to go out kai kai with DH later. The thing is can only go out 2 hours and have to rush home liao but better than nothing.

Lin : do u wat huggies NB size diapers ? I hv 2 packs for sale & also 1 pack huggies S size, Huggies S size is smaller than Fitti S.

Collection at Redhill.

PM me if keen ?

little_lamb : I tried to feed bb 10ml more in her last feed at ard 10pm but she still wake up abt 3.5hrs later at 1.30am (only abt 1/2 hr more than her usual 3hrs). I also notice after that 1.30am feed & subsequent feed (4.10am), she will wake up 2-2.5hrs wan. She cant sleep longer after that. Even wat 2 feed her more, she like too sleepy 2 drink. Also noticed that ard 3-4pm, she will "squeeze" for her poo for a few hrs until early morning then poo alot - can b twice.....;p

wow super tiring.. Baby Ashton having milk feast last night.. Woke up every hour! To feed n feed.. N each time he eat only like 15mins den slp again! Argh.. Wake him up too but he simply drift to his dreamland liao.. cfm nt full de lo latch 15mins nia.. Haiz.. Almost too slpy to wake up!

Regards to my supply..

I eat normally leh, but i drink alot of soup n drink lots of fluid, red dates water, milo, warm water n some herbal soup lo..

I think is becos i keep latching bah..

afann,

tink ashton is gg thru growth spurt..

mstan,

sharlyn also likes to squeeze her poo.. but she do it in e middle of nite..

Realise got so many ways about combining EBM, latching, and FM. Impt is be flexible to baby's and mummy's need for rest, nutrition, and care of kid/HB, household.

Afann, your supply v good. Don't worry, what you express is actually over and above what baby needs.

Xin, my baby can cluster feed and cry for milk every 1/2 hr, 1 hr, wonder if it is for comfort sucking? or really hungry with growth spurt? very sian and tiring of latching non-stop. Now after latching for a while, I just feed her EBM or FM if still cry long long. Think of introducing the pacifier soon, but must make sure her cry is not due to hunger.

Melody, good idea. Maybe i will try 1/2 latch, 1/2 EMB, so she still remember how to latch, not just suck from bottle, which will make them lazy.

Jessie, yah, my HB also say must feed FM for last feed to last longer. Initially i resisted, but end up baby wakes up 3-4 times, so gave in these few nights. Am aware it will affect supply, but I need my rest. I am so with you on the baggy t-shirt with 2 large milk stains around the breast area! LOL

Ecookie, like you, i need to take care of 2 other kids, how can let baby latch on long long like no day no night? Also moody with other people, end up no good.

So i plan to 10mins each breast, if still hungry, give EBM or FM.

mommmies,

just to chk how long do u intend to BF and when will u intro FM?

I'm thinking of slowly introducing FM in the 3rd month so it can substitute BM once I start work. any advice on d brand?

mstan8888

i'm interested but doing confinement now & Redhill is v far. think will get frm Robinsons. [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif] thanks.

little lamb, that's great news!! [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif] hopefully i can fit into a newly bought dress for CNY. the other day, i tried it on, abit tight

AA, wow! your ger sure drink a lot!!

ecookie, currently maidless. my ex maid went off in dec. so will hire another one when i found a job. ya i hate the lost of freedom too with an additional person at home but now with 2 kids, cannot cope with housework!

jessie, icic good to have CL for longer than the standard 1 mth ;p hopefully by then bb can sleep thru and u dun have to suffer the nite feeds

melody : my typo error, my bb also like to 'squeeze' her poo in the middle in the nite like fr 3-4am onwards until early morn then poo a lot....;p...so in the middle of the nite sure alot of sound while she sleep....;p

Hi mummies,

I just delivered in Jan 2010 too, seldom join the thread, cos can't keep up w u ladies.. hahaha.. Me slowcoach lah...

Btw, I've got excess BM to give away, anyone interested. My freezer now full of BM, hv to give away some, else no place liao, dun wanna waste the BM lah. PM me if interested.

Sherry: Erm.. The maids from my regular agency are the ones who always quit on the employers leh. You sure you want? For my latest replacement, I'm getting from another agency. Hopefully this is better.

Sweet: Yah, she drinks a lot. I guess it's cos she's a big baby bhah. She was 3.9kg at birth.

Mist: You also another moo moo cow with excess milk.. [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

little lamb: ya! ive noticed the same thing too. So decided to keep the bottle away from him at the moment.

Just wondering, how do we take the breast pumps out to use when we're outside if we need to keep them sterile ( like need to sterilze before use). where do you keep the pumps? just put in a bag?

And how to warm up breast milk? Using a bottle warmer or just soak in hot water?

A&A&A> Thanks [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif] Hubby is looking for someone more experience though. so dun mind if she is a little older

Mummies, shernise has a lot of milk residue (CL called it beancurd haha) on her tongue.. do we need to clean it off or is it ok to leave it as it is? CL say its ok one but she does clean her mouth with a soft cloth during her shower time...

yikai,

err...i juz put the pumps in a cooler type of bag...as long as is clean..i dun really bother about cleaning them before i pump again le...if not it will be too tacky le..i will wash them waith tap water after use...wash wif deterngent if its available...dats all...again..you only need to sterilise pump once a day..

sherry,

no need to clean off...but i think its quite smelly...hahaha esp when they burp the "milk vomit" smell....

Sherry,

i tink as long as ur CL got use cloth to wipe when bathing, it shld be ok le..

fat_babe,

hanor!! our bb mouth stinks..

fatbebe, if we need to use for 2 times outside, how? need to sterilise in between use? I suppose it is manual pump, if electic one, how?

yikai, guess just put the sterilised pump in a clean food plastic bag, or buy ziploc bag

if in restaurant, can ask them to warm milk for us?

Hi,

Very interesting to read all your blogs..a lot of useful information.

Want to ask for some opinions. Just wondering is it a good idea to store up the excess BM and use it for future usage? Cos heard that when the baby gets bigger, they'll consume more and mothers tend to use their stored BM previously to supplement. Or it's natural that as the baby gets bigger, our breasts will automatically produce the required quantity for the baby? Please advise.

Thanks!

furby,

i using electric pump le...

even in newspaper report say only need to sterilise pump once a day...so juz wash wif detergent...if hot water is available..i will use hot water to drain the pump parts in contact wif milk..dats abt it...

in restaurant..juz ask for hot water...then heat up EBM lor..

juz now i went out wif my whole gang again....brought 1 bottle of EBM...feed after an hour we were out...following dat..its all latching...but i oso brought FM out...juz in case...hee...

cos out of he 3 times i went out long hours wif bb....nvr had the chance to pump...

SZIT,

hmm...if your supply is enuff...it should change according to bb's need esp if you are latching most of the time...but according to most...pumping's ss will stagnate...so may not be able to adjust to your bb's need...

having said dat..i haf lotsa fren who are exclusively pumpin pumped enuff to feed their bb for additional few months..like liverpool's wifey...hehe...

so it depends...

F- Electric pump have battery too..

Mummies,

I eat confinement food until im so sick of it.. the weather is so hot! and i have to keep drinking warm liquid! argh..

the weather cause me to hv no appetite at all... then my confinement lady will complain to my mummy that i nv eat..

then they will anyhow think im on diet or wad...

omg... read too much into it..

hot hot hot!!!!

jessietan - Hhahaa, I teach my LO how to be patient. Cannot rely on instant gratification all the time. Hhehee. When she's hungry, wants mean want. Aiyoh ... but which baby doesn't right? *sigh* I think my blocked ducts are back again!!!!!! Why do they keep coming back???!!! It's really painful and no matter how I massage, it still keeps coming back leh. It's like after pumping, it goes soft ... and then within like 10 mins, it comes back hard and lumpy again. Why like that? My gal totally enjoyed her man yue. So much so today terribly sleepy coz' yesterday 'played' too much with the guests. She's very much like her daddy, thrives with crowds.

sherry - Errrrrrrrm aren't all buffet servings pretty standard? Usually they'll just cater more than what you ordered. For yesterday, we had a lot of leftovers.

furby,

i just drink alot of soup, and plus my baby had enough from 1 side, so i hv excess from every feed from the other side. No secret recipe wor...

Can anyone advise the timing I can bring baby for sun tanning in the morning? I have been bringing him down at 9plus for the last few days but heard the sun at 9plus too strong and will cause skin cancer. I felt so guilty in bringing baby down so late. Is it true that I can only bring him down before 9am?

Liverpool - e nurse at e clinic told us to feed ridwind direct leh. She say dun mix in case bb dun finish e milk then e med also wasted.

Littlelamb- understd wad u mean. I stayg at her plc so I juz try n follow lor. Anw, mil usu dun say mi direct will go thru hb. Well I got to wash hair today so quite happy. N hb is out so I can come in forum. Congrats on surviving confinement.

Afann - do u eat e same dish every day? For e 1st 4 days of confinement. I ate same dish for every lunch n dinner. Nearly died. thk God she relented n cook diff thgs aft tt. Thr's so much fd n it's so hot. My mil complain to my mum tt I eat v slow. But it's realli alot of fd. Even my sis say never see mi eat so much bef. :p.

Jessie - I'll defly buy ur bk. Bbs realli can't wait even a moment. N their cries r so terrifying. :p

abt feeding marathons, my hb diagnose tt I've been lettg bb slp during his meal. Tt's y he not full n will cry every hr. So today he personalli wake bb up. N let him feed til he unlatch. Tks abt 50 mins. N he realli slpt for e next 3 hrs! Tink my bb is a slow feeder like mummy. N tis mummy v impatient. [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/sad.gif]. Gg to try n feed him longer n hope he slps more.

Byrest - crystalloids r red colour. U'll see red stains on e diapers. But tink ur bb is doing ok lah.

Byrest - my pd say bef 10am is ok. But usu I sun ard 8 plus coz tt's e time e sun enters my hm. E nurse at e clinic say can sun ard 5 plus in e ev too.

Littlelamb - I tried to express n then throw away e milk. But my hb n mil say v wasted shd save for bb. :p. For blked ducts, tink I haf a permanent lump under my armpit thr. No matter how I massage it doesn't go away. :p . Wonderg if it's a blked duct or a real lump. :p

fat_babe - thanks for the advice. Baby is latching well but i am always worried that he is not getting enough. And it did not help when people ard start saying that next time not enough milk.

If pump and keep in fridge, how to do it? frozen?

F: yah totally agree with you. think must strike a balance somewhere. my no. 1 can only be settled to sleep by me. my hb can make him sleep too but take super long and sometimes my elder son will make noise and affect no.2 sleeping too. so quite hard to direct as my attention is pretty tied up with my elder one from evening onwards. anyway my BM ss is really low now. think will stop in a week or 2..

also good cos i will have more time and attention for everyone including myself. and less moody n irritable too!

SZIT (szit) : I think after latching for 3 weeks. I kind of feel actually every feed is not enough, that is why sometimes I need to latch every 1.5 to 2 hours. The thing is baby does not know that they have a schedule, they take what they need at that time. I feel bad that I put my girl on 3 hrly schedule but if not, I will peng san! So I latch in the day as often as she need , only at night, I either pump or give FM.

As for next time not enough milk, latching for me in fact made sure I can always produce more milk. I am always amazed at although I don't have enough to store away but I always have enough for my baby. Like now, she is taking 120mls , anything more, she will not take, when I pump, I always get 120mls. Have faith in yourself [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

Do drink lotsa fluid and rest well, it really does maintain, if not increase supply.

Now my only concern is if I have my menses and whether ss will go down. I will deal it with when it happens. Meanwhile, I feel good with every drop of BM I give [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

I am following the Babycentre guidelines :

You can store milk:

• At room temperature - not warmer than 77 degrees F/25 degrees C - for up to four hours

• In a coldbox with refreezable ice packs for up to 24 hours

• In a refrigerator with a temperature of 39 degrees F/4 degrees C or colder for three to five days

• In an older model single-door refrigerator with freezer compartment inside for two weeks.

• In a fridge freezer with a separate door for each, for three months

• In a freezer with a temperature of -20°C, that doesn't have a defrost cycle, for six to 12 months.

• You may combine milk you collected that day with frozen milk as long as it's chilled for at least an hour first, and the amount that you are freezing is less than half of the frozen amount. Fresh milk retains more of its protective properties than frozen milk, so whenever possible, use refrigerated rather than frozen milk for feeding your baby. But note that frozen breast milk still has more health benefits than formula milk.

• If you are going to freeze breastmilk, do so within 24 hours

• Milk that has been moved into the refrigerator from the freezer can be stored there for up to 24 hours

Remember, when you are expressing, to wash your hands and keep breast pump parts thoroughly washed, rinsed and sterilised in order to prevent any bacteria from developing in the milk.

sherry: my CL will clean off the white stuff on my son's tongue during bath time with a hankie. last time for my elder one, we use sterilised cotton pad dipped in boiled water to do that. think this time round, wont so ma fan will follow CL's method. hehe.

Xin,

there's no morning sun coming into my hm. We have to bring baby downstairs to sun tan him but it's very windy. We worried he'll catch cold.

Back