(2010/01) January 2010 mtb

I was awaken from sleep at 3am and cant fall back asleep till now... no contractions.. just cant sleep.. this pregnancy really gives me insomnia... I dunno how I'm gonna pull thru this leh... at this rate, before he comes out, i'm gone. sigh....

mamaD - Why are you enduring your CL? I mean you're paying her leh. And if you are going through so much to BF and she just feeds him FM, isn't it a pity? Unless you've frozen your BM then can keep for later use. Otherwise, I'd strongly suggest you tell her off and ask her to give your LO his FM. My little gal can really wail sometimes whenever she is hungry. Don't let them just keep crying. Talking to them and soothing them does help. Get your CL to help soothe him too. Coz' if you get stressed before a BF session, the supply won't come easily too.

sherry - NUK teats, get the brown ones ... not sure if it's silicon or latex. But the brown ones are better.

gak - Yah, I don't understand why it's been so stuffy and humid past few days leh. I mean, it's near CNY mah, usually January in Singapore is quite cooling one.

bbchic - Earlier today, my little gal just pulled my nipple off when she wanted to unlatch. I almost swore at her ... DH asked me to pinch her ears lightly next time she does that, so that she won't repeat. I can't bear to leh. I am someone who can discipline verbally. But ask me to discipline physically, I cannot leh.

melody - Expressed BM can only be kept up till 48 hours in the fridge. If you want it longer, gotta keep in freezer, up till 3 months. Deep freezer (those put ice-cream type) can keep till 6 months.

bbwoofie - Everytime I see that Mrs Wong's guide on how much to feed with each passing week, I damn stressed one ... it's like ... got so much milk or not ...

connie chua,

I delivered via induction. In my case, it was not so straightforward as I ended up with c-sect. Dun intend to scare you but basically, for mine, the procedure was to first insert the tablet called Prostin and that's to help soften the cervix coz' I wasn't dilated yet. Then after that, I am supposed to wait for about 10 hours to see if I dilated. I only managed to dilate 1cm after that so OB came to burst water bag and drip to encourage dilation. By right, with the drip, should take about another 10 to 12 hours to dilate.

But mine didn't dilate successfully. Only up till 4cm (and that is still with stretching from OB), plus baby's heartbeat was in distress. So in the end went for emergency c-sect. But don't worry, there are many successful cases of induction in here. Plus to be honest, my c-sect didn't seem that scary. In fact, I was glad mine was under epi and I knew what was going on.

My OB was explaining the procedures to me like what she was gonna do next. If you already have dilated, should be pretty smooth for you. You might wanna consider staying after insertion of Prostin coz' it can be really painful. Like menstrual cramps and if it gets too painful, you may have difficulty getting to hospital. Don't risk it, just ask to stay I guess.

meganlee - My OB asked me to wear my binder for 1 month. So I better listen. It basically is to help keep the uterus in its place. As for your milk supply, are you expressing frequently? Is your LO feeding frequently too? And think of your LO more often, the mind will tell the hormones to create more oxytocin.

cocomama,

I find it useful to put my little gal on a schedule so that it gives me time to do my stuff, one of which includes expressing. If you have read Gina Ford's book, she encourages putting babies into a routine as early as newborns. A lot of mommies find it hard to practice coz' firstly, hospitals encourage demand feeding. Secondly, mommies get heartaches whenever their LOs are wailing hysterically and then they'll just start feeding them. But little do they realize that once they relent, they start creating the habit of baby going to their mommies for nipple comfort (ie. Pacifier) instead of them being really hungry. So try to make sure your boy gets fed full first.

Which means, latching him 40 mins on 1 breast and then another 5 to 10 mins on the other. This ensures he gets the hindmilk, which is higher in fat level and ensures more contentment. Then you can ensure he sleeps longer. I've tried it on my little gal and it works. Like tonight, she only requested to be fed once and I had to wake her up to feed! The real challenge lies in getting her to stay awake during feed.

Coz' it's really comforting when suckling. Different people have different methods of getting their babies to wake. Some use tickling of ears or soles of feet, some use cold towels on the faces. For me, I tried all but my little gal is like sleeping beauty. So in the end, I tried putting her on the bed and she woke up immediately. Then I continue to latch her back.

I know it's tough but you try it out and see if it works. Also, G Ford recommends that you pump in the morning coz' that's when the breast is fullest and then try pumping another time in the evening.

jessietan - Wah ... 100mls ... that's a high goal. For me, this week, can maintain 60ml I damn happy already. Coz' I'd usually express an hour after she feeds. Actually huh, fathers have big role or not depends on how you 'train' them. Like I keep telling my DH ... he has to do these things coz' it's bonding session with her. ie. Change diapers, burp her, talk to her to wake her up for feeds, soothe her when she cries and bathe her. And of course, I'll give him his breaks lah. Like when he was at the hospital with me day and night, i told him to take a break and go home. Asked my mom to take over his duty. He really appreciates it and came back recharged. Or sometimes, will let him play his video games. I don't feel that they need to be around us or baby 24 x 7.

mamaD - It happened to be once before. If it keeps occuring to you. I suggest you get the medela breast shield or nipple shield (cannot remember which). It is like a plastic cup onto your breast, can help you to 'accumulate' your milk so that you won't waste it. But make sure you sterilize it first before using and pour it and keep it in a bottle or milk bag immediately after. If you are wearing a nursing bra, usually you'd just remove one side to feed, so the other side, you can just keep it back up to contain the leaking milk.

melody - There's no shame in giving baby pacifier as long as you're using it for the right reasons. I am contemplating to get it too. Don't encourage suckling for comfort. Otherwise in the long run, you will suffer for frequent feeds. I know hospitals encourage demand feeding. But when we practice demand feeding, babies have a tendency not to differentiate they're suckling for hunger or comfort. To them, it's just like I'm not feeling good, i want momma's nipples. Be it for hunger or comfort, they can't differentiate yet. So if you strongly feel that your LO is just suckling for comfort, then give her the pacifier. Sometimes, spitting out milk is not she doesn't want it and coz' she wanted to suckle for comfort. Sometimes, spitting out milk is coz' she wasn't burped. So even if you're BF-ing her, must make sure she's being burped.

clarissagoh - If I'm not wrong, your EDD was the same as mine. Don't be too hard on your LO. In my opinion, it's a healthy weight. And I was told by my OB that they gain faster outside. So just jia you, k?

redtea - Your breasts might feel hard after pumping coz' there might be blocked ducts. Feel around your breasts, do you feel lumps? If you do, you MUST massage them to loosen the ducts. This is to prevent mastitis and also give you more milk flow.

smalldreams - I just invested in some nursing bras too. From one of the BP sellers. Not sure if I can post her blog site in here. But she's babyland. Not sure if you know. If not, I can PM you her site. Anyway, to be honest, I really wasn't prepped for TBF. Coz I just had too many discouragements from friends who tell me not to set high expectations. A lot of my mommy friends would top up with FM. So I only got 2 nursing bras prepared. Who knows, my boobs got bigger and the bras too tight. No nursing tops either. And then no nursing bibs. Had to go buy them online. Aiyoh. I'm glad I had my pump ready. And also went to buy those accessories. Now I think back, don't know why so silly didn't prepare beforehand. And then now panic. But online shopping also fun lah. Hhehe.

bbchic - Think my full mth celebrations must split into lunch and dinner. One for relatives, one for friends. Headache sia. Personally, I am not for the idea of a full month party. Don't like the idea of my gal too stimulated. I'll have a lot of difficulty nursing her after that leh. But as a Chinese, I know these are some traditions we have to keep. It's out of respect for our parents too, just like having customary weddings lor. Same thing.

mstan8888 - You can try reading my posts previously on how to increase milk supply or how to ensure you get more rest by checking how long your LO gets fed. You heard about the hindmilk & foremilk theory? Basically, when your LO first latches and drinks, it's the foremilk. The hindmilk is only towards the end. So let's say you only latch your bb for 20 mins before stopping or moving to the other breast, your bb will not get the hindmilk which is supposedly better for them coz' they're higher in fat content and supposedly ensures that your baby can sleep longer, thus giving you more mommy time. Ideally, according to Gina Ford, one breast should be at 40 mins until she empties it and then you move on to the other breast maybe for 5 to 10 mins. Unless your bb is a guzzler, then he/she can empty both breasts. Which is better, more contented! Try it out to see if it works out.

smilemum - My little gal was super active when she was in my tum tum. This morning, I put her on the bouncer, I watched her do her kungfu stunts then i understand what she was doing inside me last time. Hhahah.

jessietan - I damn tempted to cut my little gal's nails too but the nurses and old folks say wait till after 1 mth. DUnno why leh. But I notice she has long nail bed, like her momma's. Next time do manicure sure very nice.

v ni - According to my massage lady, if it's c-sect, must wait for 3 weeks. Meanwhile, use a tummy binder?

clarissagoh - Mine came in on Day 3. But according to my OB, she says any time between 3 to 5 days. So wait a while first, k?

sweet - Congrats!! The vomitting and drowsiness are after effects of epi. I had that after my c-sect too.

gugu111 - Congrats!!! Looks like we have similar birth experience. [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif] Except mine didn't extend till more than 24 hours. Kudos to you for all the hard work in bringing your LO safely to the world!!!

Morning mummies...

Lil_lamb> Great to hear from you and glad that you are settling down well.... What a long post you had but I enjoyed reading them while pumping...

Yeah, agreed that there will be more nite owls here, going forward once mummies start popping....

For me, kind of lazy nowadays...My last pump will be around 12 midnight to 1am, then next one would be around 5am to 6am.... In between , when my LO wakes up for milk, I just feed, burp and get him to bed so that I can also catch up on my much needed sleep!!!

Hi mummies

Have been latch n change bb since 6am.. He still wide awake now.. Put him to latch hopin he slp soon.. But he seem still suckin none stop de.. Another big drinker like his kor kor...

Btw.. Talkin abt fore n hind milk rite... Anyone know letdown durin latching is fore or hind milk ah?? I notice I get abt 3-4letdown on every feedin session... Wonder wat milk did he get??

Big congrats to mummies who have deliver 

those still on the waiting list.. Do take this time to rest as much as possible.. Dun mind of wastin some maternity leave n start resting at home b4 due.. U may find it boring to stay home jus to rest.. But now is the only time u can relax...

Since day 10 old.. Roy wake up almost every hrat nite...Either need change or feedin... Day time he do slp for 2-3 hrs After each feed but I still need to eat, bath, pump etc... Reali not enough time to rest lo... Hai

so tiring... Plus I still need some bondin time with #1 leh..

good morning mommies.. [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

cladi

thanks for the good advice.. [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif] seems like all mommies who have popped are working really hard to pump & feed BB. Great job mommies!!!

connie

so tml is D-day? jia you~!

Morning everyone!

Melody

Do take care ok?

Sherry

Morning! So what's for lunch later... :p Good life huh...hehe...

I'm going to cook my own lunch too later ...

Little Lamb

Yes, online shopping *is* fun. A little break from feeding baby ..hee. How do you apply the Gina Ford technique? You mean you let baby cry when she cries for milk before 3-4 hrs is up?

Just now after I bathed baby, I swaddled her and left her in her cot while I bathed. She was quiet for a while (she's usually quiet after her bath and swaddle) but later started yelling! So I bathed like a cartoon & got dressed then carried her as I threw clothes into the washing machine. She was verrry quiet.. she knows she's being carried. It's amazing how smart newborns are!

But one thing for sure, I won't be able to carry out that Gina Ford technique. I believe in feeding on demand, too bad lor if baby looks upon me as a pacifier. Worse come to worse, I'll give pacifier then wean off from it after 8-9 mths like how i did for #1. Guess my heart is too soft.

ecookie

Ouh, sorry, you asked if my #1 was a gor gor or jie jie rite? He's a gor gor to a mei mei :p

Cladi

where is your #1 during the day?

If he's with you, must be really tiring.

For me, I think I get sufficient rest in the day when baby's asleep. I'll bathe in the morning, try to cook before 11 am, when baby wakes, latch lor, then sleep again and I start my chores again. Even got a lot of time to go online..and spend $$ on BP thread...tsk tsk.

If my #1 was with me like when i first went back to my own place, it was so tiring and #1 always kena whack by me for being notty and wanting to poke his sister. I decided to put #1 at my mom's place. So after playgroup he goes back there till my hubby picks him up at 7 pm. Then at night, we have both kids around... that's when all hell breaks loose..haha

morning all...

had been reading but no time to post... congrats to all who popped...

tink more n more moo moo cows here... jia you jia you... [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

today gg to for 2nd appt for flat... [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif] n tmr gg to see bb... feel tt he's finalli moving down...

ET> i sent u a pm on ur my brestfren pillow... [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

morning mummies!

apple: congrats! and the guy who administer the epi was so irritating. traumatising u like that. good that the c-sect still went on smoothly and ur bb came out safe n sound! [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif] ask the CL to help out w other things like washing stuff and preparing nutritious meals for u. her job is not only to feed the baby leh. tell her direct latching allows u to bond w the baby and she should just let u be..

and TMC will overcharge. oh dear, i better check my bill carefully when its my turn. im delivering there as well.

dolphin: jia you with BF! does ur boy fall asleep when feeding on 1 breast. maybe he didnt take enuff during the feed and so gets hungry fast. gently stir him awake to get him to feed on the next breast.. but this is easier said than done... cos i know how newborn sleep when they want to sleep! eheh

smalldreams> Good that your no. 1 is at your mum's place.... My Luis didn't want to go to my SIL's place so I had to juggle with both of them.... However, thank god, Luis is quite an obedient boy and he would just play on his own or watches DVDs or play the computer on his own. Only when he was unwell last 2 weeks, then he got a bit cranky and needed a lot of my attention.

TYL> Hope your check up goes well today. Are you able to bring the box of mother's milk to office tomorrow. I will arrange to pick up from your office.

Sherry> You started your ML and rest at home already... Great! Getting ready?

lin

hee.. every mummy who has pop will understand y i say so lol..

megan

u take care wo..

smalldream

luckly i start putin shawn into fulltime childcare since nov09.. so day time i only need to deal with Roy.. n tats enough lol... reali duno how our mothers time can handle so many children at one go... n still can cook for us leh.. must ask my mum one of these days...

clarissagoh: for my #1`, milk flow also only comes in on the 4th/5th day. i fed my #1 FM the time being. dun get too stressed up over BM coming in late.. its will come in eventually! let ur baby suckle ur nipples even when there is no milk. this will stimulate demand and make the milk flow comes in faster..

sweet: congrats!!! u delivered liao. . we still in waiting game haha.

ur delivery is quite fast. and good thing ur gynea acted fast n vacumn ur boy out.. sometimes wrong position can drag the labour and caused the baby in distress. anyway, rest well and spend time w ur lovely boy for now! [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

gugu111: congrats!

smile mum: im suffering from lack of sleep like u! now getting backache and keep waking up at night cos need to flip from side to side to sleep. grr.. and feeling very heavy n clumsy..so sianz..

smalldreams: u must teach me how to cope with 2 kids when the times comes for me!! my boy goes to childcare now.. but i wonder how to handle 2 kids when my hb fetches him back in the evening... *sweat* hope he will be guai and respond well to didi..

congrats gugu...

think every 2 days got someone popped...

hee hee...

TYL went to visit her gynae today...

Hope everything turns out fine...

Lil' Lamb, glad that your experience with Raffles is good... really enjoy reading your posts...

morning ladies,

cladi,

let down is foremilk le..

smalldreams

...tytus is like your girl...ahhah sleep alot in the day...so me got quite abit of time online too!! but he fusses alot at night..so nite time i will be occupied....

lil lamb...

waaaah you are making up for lost time...wakakakka....hey stick to your GF convictions...i cannot make it...but if it works for you....stick to it yeah....its really not easy...& hopefully by 3rd month your bb will be sleeping through..u will haf an easier time..

hmmm..i do agree dat mummies need to rest...it will be good if you can get a EBM feed in the mid of the night...and you pump...then go bk to sleep.....

my first 2 weeks...at most get 1.5 hours to sleep per session....but hor as days go by..i feel v drain..extreme fatigue...& mentally, physically juz gave in to 5 hours sleep stretch..hiakz..

mommies who popped at Mt. A,

just wondering for hospital bill payment... upfront can we charge to credit card? any instalment plans available? cos I really have no idea how much to expect to end up paying leh.. I'm taking 2 bedder & hopefully natural w/o epi.

my cousin said she paid abt $1K cash & rest (abt $2K) deducted from Medisave.

Saw that Mt. A just updated their maternity package & deposit price list.

http://www.mtalvernia-hospital.org/documents/MaternityPackages.pdf

So I just found my answer to my 1st question.

But dunno if any special discounts for credit cards instalment... cos my cousin mentioned they used to have for her #1 2 years ago. :p

lin

yes u can charge to credit card first.. for me.. i pay the deposit of $600 thro credit card.. cos i take 4 bedded..

morning mummies

lil lamb...wow enjoy reading ur posting...i pump quite freq almost like every hour, day time seldom latch on...most of the time latch on middle of the nite, till now almost 1 mth each time pump put also ard 60ml nia...if latch on will latch ard 15mins per breast...i tot tat's wat being taught din know need to latch on for so long ah...

fat-babe, just remember my fren pass me some mother's milk sachet...will try it out...

melody, dun worry...get well soon

luvbabe, usually no.1 vy attached to us when bb is ard...thank God my new maid got ok, got initiative to offer help to take care of no.2 while i handle no.1...there's one nite almost 10+ to 11pm, no one refuse to sleep wants my attention, no.2 is awake, hb having flu...she quickly run out fm the room and offer to take care of mei mei while i put kor kor to sleep...am so happy wt her good gesture n attitude!

Thanks Cladi! [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

Megan

how r u?

just wanna tell u d clinic (called Chin Choo) opp my place is charging $110 for 6-in-1 but they didn't tell me how many jabs, if I'm not wrong.. need 3 jabs to complete the dose. so $330 in total.. is it worth it?

what vaccination r u gonna give ur LO?

megan, glad that your new maid got initative...

you can relax a little now... [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

lin, the life clinic at blk 36 oso charging abt the same...not too sure isit worth it bo...cos i dunno know how much poly is charging...my no.1 took 5 in 1 at poly...i think i'll do the same cos poly got do other reviews too...

Megan

icic.. if you find out how much it costs at polyclinic, do lemme know? are u giving #2 the Pneumococcal Vaccination? Not sure if polyclinic has it or not.

read tt can use Medisave for pneumococcal vaccination: http://www.moh.gov.sg/mohcorp/pressreleases.aspx?id=23204

good morning mommies! [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

congratulations to mommies who'd popped!!

& to mommies popping soon, have a smooth & safe delivery!

Luvbabe

Luis is a bit bigger already rite? Good that he's well behaved [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

You mean on usual days previously he would go to your SIL's place?

I have no problems too when #1 got good mood and plays with his trains, watches his programmes. It's when he wants to be on the bed while I'm getting baby ready that drives me crazy.

BBchic

I think we also feel night time baby fusses more coz we're super sleepy. So although baby wakes up only 2 -3 times over 8 hr period, we feel that they wake up so often! :p

But lucky for us also lah, for now our babies still quite guai, so mummies can surf the net haha. I just finished cooking my lunch - fish soup & also done the laundry coz baby slept through the morning! Yeay!

But now..erm, need to pump. hehe.

ecookie

U sure you need tips from me?! Haha. Mine all trial & error one you know.

Cladi

I think kids last time and now are very different. My mom said so too, although she's still quite young at 50 yrs old and got our grandparents to take care of us. Guess about 50 yrs ago, kids don't stay cooped up in flats - they get to play outdoors. School wasn't as stressful. And most moms didn't have to work! Plus got many pple in the house to help look after the kids too.

Now things are Soooo different. That's why we feel like going mad altho we only have 2 kids :p That's what I think anyway...

megan

pls take care & wish u a speedy recovery! [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

so glad ur new maid's helping u so much!!

it's really a blessing in disguise hor!

little lamb

find the weather rather crazy at times..

can be hot & humid then nice & cooling the next moment! ;>

sweet

ooohhh..u dilated quite fast hor!

the nurse actually checked u that often?

mine hor after my gynae checked liao no one checked for me at all till i was so so in pain then checked me like 2hrs lata!

smalldreams

yup do agree with u that babies/kids nowadays are very different from our mom's time!

some how more clever, demanding, knows wat they want, etc...

not like us, "gong gong" like dat juz listen to instructions ;P keke

chrisstan: ur bb is also of good weight at 38w! i wonder what will be my bb weight when i go check up tom (38w 3d). last check at 38w is ard 3.3kg+ think few days diff wont be much bah. heheh

smalldreams

hehehee..

ya bb's sleeping now

she getting more active liao so planning to keep her awake during day time so she won't stay awake during nite!

#1 juz went to school, will be back after 1.30pm

so some quiet time for me now! ;)

smalldream/gak

haha.. ya.. kids now more smart ya... my #1 know how to ask me to carry di di go hide when my mum say wana bring him home lol... bth him...

Back