(2009/09) September 2009 MTBs

Kam - his those frens are bad companies...those typicAl ahbengZ lor and I all along dislike them cos they forever nv spare a thot for me. The moment my hb bk frm overseas or few wks of in camp training they pester to meet! If my hb don't meet they say woah married hv kids no need bros anymore! Urgh! Childish! If my hb tries to leave earlier they will stop him n say why u scare of wife is it! So..... No need continue u also know what tk place..  

I had z when I'm 24.. If I wait til I'm 30 then have #2.... age gap so far and I really don't want start all over again! I just hope to faster "get it done and close". Lolx.. Perhaps I started too young Liao.. Got rom when only 21.. Then customary 23..24 pop baby.. So now not here not there... Hais..

Connie - alamak I keep thinking ur Nick is Corinne!! Goodness!!!!! Hais dnw why like that.. Last time haven married also like this.. Pregnant also like this but not much it's only worst when shift in cos fil dnw mah n nobody to scold him..he respect his parets alot till I say he worship him! Even he wrong he also keep quiet! His family all treat me as garbage! 

Kiki - sigh.. What to do! I cannot say no! One fine day I'm gg to do smth similar! Grrrr!!! Maybe when I do bk to him then he know hw it feels! 

Waiwai - it's indeed v shiong tt time... But no choice I hv to do it..only my z can make me be a maid and work 24/7. Hahahaha

ling - Wednesday? What time?? I shall not go bk my mum hse or anywhere then! Will join u all ..!!!
happy.gif
where!?

<font color="aa00aa">princessxiaomei</font>

Yeah!
We are meeting at Itsy's place... very near for u... but timing not confirm yet... most likely in the late afternoon aft their naps...

Finally have time to come in now. I'm ok with going to Itsy's house for playdate. Yay.. I'm sure Yunze will enjoy learning shapes from Auntie Kiki. =) I'm ok with meeting in the late afternoon.

Princessxiaomei, come come join us!

<font color="119911">Ling</font>
Don't ask/tell/mention then your MIL won't know and can't interfere lor :p When she finds out, already bought, too late! Wahahha

When my mum moved into her own place long time ago, her every decision was overwritten by her MIL (my gran), till this day, she is still sore about it. Hope this doesn't happen to you.

<font color="119911">gathering this Wed</font>
3pm?

I went vivo ToyRus today, wah did you guys buy up all the shape sorters?!! No more leh! I picked up the very last one. Bought also numbers and colours. So no need to bring.

Ling, sure! Love bee hoon. I'll get a loaf of bread, we can make sandwiches for our babies. Mummies can bring all your cutsie cutters too.

<font color="aa00aa">itsy</font>

even if I dont, hub will seek her opinion lo... cos i tink he feels if dun ask her, then she later threaten not to move in with us like she did earlier when we wanted BTO punggol...(I shud be happier? but I cant...) thats why i so sian... =(

3pm is good for me. =)

Erm, not me! I went to the suntec outlet... haha~

Self defence
I'll probably tell him to tell the kid not to hit him ba. And if the other child doesn't stop, then go tell teacher or Mummy. Will it work?

Reading all your posts on this, and I'm trying hard not to LOL in this quiet night.

Jul,
I ordered from BD in December in 2 orders. One arrived in Jan, or was it in early Feb. The other didn't arrive. They checked their records and perhaps made a mistake, so refunded me. Hm...talking about that, I've yet to check if the refund has been done.

Playdate
I wanna go! But my boy hasn't recovered completely from his cough yet
sad.gif
Thu going MMR.

kiki
My Little Genius is about brain development. From 0-3, right brain of a child is developing. The functions cross over to left brain from 3 years onwards. Class is 1:6, parent sit behind child so that can do together with child. They have various activities, Brain Gym, flashcards, music, photographic memory, etc. Interesting I thought.

What I like is that it includes a full session on Mandarin every alternate week, cos like you, I'm also English-speaking environment. I'm already making an effort to speak to him in Mandarin more (by more, I really mean in comparison to 100% English speaking previously. Now maybe 10-20% more than before). Maybe that's also why he responds to his Chinese name. Now, I'm going back to using English name a bit. He must be one confused child! Dunoe what's his name, haha.

I also try to read some books from Pelangi. It has hypy, so it helps me read to him. But often have to read twice. Once in hypy before I get what it means, then again with the right tone. Oh dear...!

kiki

PC = politically correct

Playdate

Wah u all no good lah! I was on leave last week &amp; there wasn't any play date. and now you're having one with bee hoon, puzzles, teacher, bento etc without me. No fair! *sulk*

itsy
Haha dun worry, Ian will sure win. Coz my boy ah.. CMi one lah. Can get beaten up by a gal smaller sized than him. Faint!

joli

Oh yeah u mnetioned u ordered twice coz the first never arrived right? Oh btw is it in normal mail like letterbox or need to sign one?

princess

Hmm.. I dunno if I'm making sense or what.. but even if your hubs' frens are those 猪朋狗友, it is HE who makes the choice to give in to their invitations &amp; taunts and stick ard with them till 4am &amp; get drunk or what. HE is an adult, he can make his own choice mah.

From what I've read from your posts, the main issue seesm to be that you are not communicating. Even if you cannot see eye to eye &amp; end up quarrelling or what, at least you talked. Now it seems as if it's aws "tired, dun wanna talk" all the time &amp; things just go on &amp; on coz he's avoiding the issue.

regardless of whether you &amp; hubs agree to have #2 soon, at least if you sit down &amp; talk seriously for a while on what to do now.. then at least matters would surely improve with you. You won't feel that that you're not being appreciated &amp; your hubs cannot run away from probs by hanging out with his frens all the time anymore. Pardon me, but it sounds like you are the mature one &amp; your hubs is the one who still wants to play &amp; hang ard with his frens, &amp; not grow up. You shd really sit down &amp; calmly talk things over. Running away or staying out or doing the same things to him won't help bcoz he will either heck care you, or know that you will guai guai come back in the end, or not even notice! Won't that make you feel worse in the end?

Anyway, if you don't mind me 倚老卖老 a bit.. sort out your issues abt his activities &amp; frenships first, whether you want/need his help at home first, THEN talk abt having another kid. Just rushing into having another baby doesn't solve the problem, it causes more probs. I hope my 2 cents worth helps.

Jul,
**Clap clap clap** as if you can read my mind, that's very close to what I wanted to tell princess!!

princess,
Honestly, it's your Hub problem, not his 猪朋狗友's problem. They wanted to get drunk and to hang out late, it's their problems, cos they don't have a wife and a son to go back to. But it's different with your hub. He scared of being laughed at because of going home earlier, his friends would laugh at him said he is scare of wife?? Just let them laugh on, what to lose? In fact, should teach them a lesson that this is not called scare of wife, this is called RESPECT! No matter how young one got married and how young one has children, one has to learn to grow accordingly, cannot remain stagnant at the same place. You grow but not your hub and that's the problem. Before this is solved, it's hard to move things forward.

Itsy,
No no no! I want to go for a playdate at your place! Can you please agree to hold another one for us poor FTWMs, please! I want to see your bento (and Ling's too!).

Jul,
**shake hand** haha, yes, yes, we don't have "generation gap"!! That's why sometimes I think it's actually not a bad thing to have children a little bit older hor, as long as we can still conceive :)

kam

Hmm.. even though I keep complaining that I'm OLD, I actually don't regret waiting till now to have Sam. Mentally, emotionally, psychologically, I wouldn't have been ready any younger. And of course financially too, let's not forget that! being more mature has its advantages!

I remember reading somewhere that a woman's ideal age to have kids is ard 20 physically, but 30 mentally. Why the disparity ah????

Puzzles
I am curious of what kind of puzzles you get for your kids? I have seen wooden puzzles, I have also seen those playmats with sesame street characters, and mummies here are mentioning about shapes and colors.. hmm.. how many pieces issit suitable for this age and beyond?

waiwai
take good care of yourself...not easy looking after 2 sick kids! glad to hear that your kids are getting better!

princess
aiyo, don't do back to your hb what he do to you lah...like that there will be no end! keke... what the other mums say is true lor, i also think if a man wants to change, he got to want to do it himself, for you and the family.

itsy
3pm ok for me.
shape sorters - yeah, i went to the one in united sq also v limited selection! and some even kinda had mould growing inside! end up i didn't get any.

joli
my little genius sounds like shichida. has your boy attended any other classes before?

jul
nah...not being politically correct! truth mah...i imagined the comical scene of u gals cat fighting for abt 5secs only mah! so got no 'ending'...keke.

BD will mail into your letterbox, packed in bubble envelope. no need to sign for it.

myfavchoco
i went bali many yrs ago. later i try to find the driver contact i used before. if i can find i pass to u.

maelyn
the puzzles we're talking abt here is actually those wooden type...melissa &amp; doug puzzles. not those jigsaw puzzles. i've not tried jigsaw puzzles... i think kam has tried but for her boy who is older.

<font color="119911">Jul</font>
I ordered few books from BD. They arrived separately. smaller ones I received them in letterbox, bigger ones delivered by postman at the door (cos cannot stuff into letterbox mah).

Jul,
yup yup, I felt a little bit too ready, would have been great if I gave birth 2-3 years earlier (so I can have more!).

<font color="0000ff">maelyn /kiki,
RE: Puzzles</font>

When I first introduced puzzles to HR when he was about 19months, it's those slot-in puzzles like what the mummies are talking about. He loved it but also he mastered the skills very fast (able to slot-in correctly and remembered each and every of the animals in Mandarin and English). See my blog post here - http://babyhaore.blogspot.com/2009/08/my-brave-and-smart-hao-re.html. And the ABC puzzles too.

So we have to move him on to something more challenging - the jigzaw puzzles. It took him 2-3 months to learn it, but he loves doing it and he managed to put together 5-8 pieces jigzaw at 22 months. See my blog post here - http://babyhaore.blogspot.com/2009/08/my-brave-and-smart-hao-re.html (note how he sings while making the puzzles, super cute ;-))

So my point is, yes, start with those slot-in puzzles, animals, ABC, shapes or whatever. Then when you think they are ready, move on to jigzaw puzzles. The most basic one is 2 pieces. I skipped this and jumped to 5-8 pieces straight as I thought my boy was ready. Then slowly moving on to 12 pieces, 20 pieces, etc. Before his 3rd birthday, he can manage max 72 pieces puzzles already. Puzzles is great toys for motor skill, extending their attention span, logical thinking etc. Though I must say again, every child is different so don't compare with HR. He is a bit advance. My girl is not able to do what he can do at the same age. So most important is to be there with them, to play and to guide them along, move at their pace. And not every child will like to play with puzzles. If yours doesn't, don't force him/her into doing it, explore other toys that he/she loves. Have fun!!

<font color="119911">Kam and Jul</font>
Guess I'm in your '老人club'.

<font color="119911">PrincessXiaoMei</font>
I have similar experience with you. My hubby has a few good friends whom he plays MJ with. When we were dating, we always play MJ thru' the night. Till I was preg, hubby still doing it. I'll play along altho I was tired cos dun wan to seem like a 大小姐 just cos I'm preg. Also hubby enjoys these MJ sessions. Then after we moved to our own place, those friends lagi happy cos no parents around and my hubby's wife provides food and refreshment! So they asked to come more often. I dun mind if they play in the day but problem is they like to start at night and play till morning. OK for them cos they're single or married with no kid. I got mad cos after the session, hubby will sleep thru' the next day, not to mention, they r v noisy when they play at night. Initially I hinted by sitting out of these sessions, but men lah, he didn't get my hint. Finally, I talked to him straight.Told him he's different from his friends cos he got a family. it's either he ask his friends to come play in the day or he dun join them. Now he no longer join them for MJ. I feel bad sometime for doing this but I think it's for the best of my family life. He can play MJ with my friends now, who prefers daytime activities.

<font color="119911">Kam and Jul</font>
okok we'll have another playdate on a weekend. But must be in April cos March weekend, I'm fully booked with weddings and birthdays.. so many AB to give, I pok gai liao.

kiki, itsy,kam

Thanks for the feedback on the book depository delivery. Can't wait to get my stuff haha

kam

Yup I agree. I bought one peg puzzle with animals for Sam but he isn't interested. So I just let him be till he's ready for it. I dun wanna push him till he gets 反感

Jul,
The first one arrived, but not the second one. It was by normal mail, they pack one book per envelope, unless too big cannot go into mailbox.

kiki,
I think shichida is very very intensive. A friend attended and shared that they flash cards a lot, and very fast, not caring if the kid get it or not. Pretty stressful I thought. I think MyLittleGenius incorporates more activites, like music, motor-skills, etc. Sounds more fun, which I want us to have. Nope, this will be his maiden-class. He has been running around the house, poor kid, superbly bored I think.

kam
1st time seeing that video of HR. *clap clap* he's very good!

itsy, kam, jul
lol...yesh, 熟女club definately sounds better then 老人club! eks! i don't wanna be considered 老人ok!

joli
shichida do flash cards only for abt 5mins maybe? yes, its suppose to be fast else not effective! the faster the better! hmm...think some tods their concentration not v good so after awhile they will look away or seems not keen. i don't feel its got anything to do with whether the teacher cares if the kid get it or not. i think this is where the parent comes in and must do some home practise. shichida also does music but their music incooprates the uses of flashcards...not the GUG type of music. there are also activities that involve fine tuning motor skills. heard fr my friend that Mylittlegenius is the previous littleneurotree?? don't know how true. does your boy sit on chair and at table at home? u might wanna get him used to that, else when u attend the class he may not wanna sit in that chair. so good to 'practise' abit! was there a free trial for mylittlegenius?

myfavchoco
have sent u the contact thru FB pm liao. pls check. i went in 2006, so not sure if the guy is still doing it or not but u can try to email him! finding the contact for u, i flipped thru some old photo albums...from 2006 till now abt 5 yrs only, i suddenly can SEE that both myself n hb have aged so much! gosh...must be because of kimberly!

kiki,
Thanks, thanks :)

Joli,
Yes, I heard from a friend who is using flashcard to teach her children (they attend shicida) that the cards should be flashed as fast as possible. It's okay the children don't pick up everything, cos you have to repeat the flashcard over and over again.

I don't use flashcard at all, cos I don't believe in it. HR was exposed to flashcards when he attended the 1 term music class when he was about 2yo. That was only a few minutes in the entire class, on music instrument. Surpringly it actually worked very well on him, cos he has very good attention span, he learned a lot. But still, I don't want to use this kind of teaching method. I rather he learns slowly and more naturally.

kam
funny leh... 熟女club... lol

myfavchoco
wat's Qing 熟女 club? u mean 青年 club issit??

hmm then which one should i belong to???

playdate @ itsy's
wow so near yet so far!!!! within walking dist fr my place but i'm working leh.. how to bring shanis?? i want nice bentos too!!! hehe

princessxm
yes i agree with wat jul said... ur hubby needs to change his mentality and "grow up". U really need to communicate with him and tell him what you hope him to cooperate on. If with Z, he doesnt think well and not helping out with u. I would think he might not be ready for #2 too. both of u really need to talk it out... escaping wont help to solve ur probs lah.

my hubby used to be bo chap with S too till i got so fed up with him. Previously, every day we reached home, he would go to teh study room, on his pc and start working/play games... then i tell him off.. i need his help! be it housework or looking after S. So we got down to an agreement of what he is responsible for. Cos i think he needs to play a part in the family as a hubby and a father. Finally he kai qiao or wat... initially i need to keep reminding and reminding and he finds me naggy of cos.. then slowly he gets the hang of wat is needed of him and he starts to show more initiatives and occasionally offer to do a bit more. And i really appreciate it.. even that little help really ease my tiredness, frustration... so now we are a happy family lor... no more nagging or lesser now.. haha...

abt teaching our todd to fight back or not
hmm i'm of the camp that they should at least laern to protect themselves in the event that they get bullied and cant get help from others. So i think they should learn to fight back... but hubby think we should teach S to complain to the teacher... but wat if there is no teacher around?? S comes back with bruises how?? sigh... really hard to strike a balance hor?

kiki,
Only 5 mins? I thought their main curriculum is flashcards, like a lot of emphasis on it. Then go home still must do. My friend's kid started to be so stressed out, his eczema became worst.

I read that the MyLittleGenius, HappyTrain all these branched our from LNT (but don't know how true) after LNT's founder got into trouble. I feel that there's nothing wrong with LNT's program, since it's the founder that defaulted. But I guess people tend to avoid it, linking founder to program. For me, I see it as separate. Same like NKF, fault lied with Durai, not NKF.

Thanks for the tips. I'll take note. He sits on chair and table to eat, draw/colour, play playdough. Is that counted?

I'm not sure if there's a free trial. I didn't attend, just thought the variety of activites sound interesting. What attracted me most was a whole session conducted in Chinese. My hb was very keen, he said sign up, so sign up lor. And he's usually the take-it-easy one.

flashcards

I don't like flash cards either. Maybe it's coz I'm lazy &amp; dun wanna do it haha

myfavchoco

What's the "Qing"?

milkyway

U belong to my club mah - horse right?

milkyway

You don't look like a horse lah, but I thought you were mah. Nowadays all the mummies are so young &amp; pretty they don't look their age. Like me! I'm a horse but look younger! Muahahaha *digs a hole &amp; hides away*

joli
no leh, i don't think their main curriculum is flashcards. cannot imagine doing flashcards for whole session...the child not bored, the mommy also will get bored! keke... i think your friend might have given you the wrong impression. its good if u can practise at home lah though no one said its a must. i guess it depends what your expectations are. if your expections are that he goes to once a wk class and will learn everything fr there then i think you might be disappointed. i think this is something alot of ppl expect only to wonder after paying so much for such courses, how come the kid like nv learn anything or doesn't 'get' anything? how old is your friend's kid? if the kid is stressed out, the parent might have to examine the way they teach their child. are they placing too much stress and expectation on the child? if parent is stressed out, the child will feel it too. that said, i dare say kimberly enjoys doing flashcards. whenever i tell her 'ok..time to do flashcards...' she will happily run into her 'house' (the playard which i refer to as her house) sit down and wait for me to come in too. if one day, i say lets do flashcards and she runs away, then i'd have to rethink about it again. kekeke...

Blogging

I need some help here.

I'm thinking abt starting a blog. But I have no idea how &amp; where to do it? There are free websites which host blogs right? What happens if they shut down that website? My stuff'll all be wiped out? What are the 'better' more user-friendly places for a blog?

kiki,
Don't know leh...she told me Shichida very stressful, so I avoided it. Maybe I should look at it again.

Wah, you so hardworking do flashcards with K. I bought a few boxes of it, all still sitting nicely on the shelf unwrapped. Ah...must learn from you. How often do you do it with K a day? How many words per day?

Flashcards,

I didn't teach my son using flash cards. He just play as in see the picture and throw. Many times, he will bring the card to me and ask me what's in the picture.

Back