(2009/03) March 2009 MTBs

re: powerpumping
can someone explain what is powerpumping? what do you mean by pump 10min, rest 10min, 3x? does that mean 10min for both breasts?, wouldnt that take 1 hr? and what is pump 10min, rest 1-2min?

moomooland/jtho,
my ger is 3 wks old, borned on 10th.
i don't really have any secret leh ... maybe the CL's red date drink works. & i eat quite lots of fish. Today only i start drink the fish soup with papaya.
i pump only 4-5 times per day when i feel the breast engorged (which usually is 5-6 hours). i find taking hot shower, a nap & drinking more hot red date drink help to get the breast engorge faster. I can pump 200ml if the breast engorged. I tried to shorten the pumping time (every 3-4 hrs) but the output is only ~150ml .. so i think it's about the same if i pump 6hrsly .. lazy*

Jia you & keep holding on ... ur MS sure will increase. I'll start drinking the fenugreek seed drink too. Let u know if it works to increase my MS

pumping,
anyway, i'm using the avent manual pump.
i'll pump with 1 hand & the other hand massage/squeeze on the breast to increase the output.

i hope i can have another hand to wipe on the let down from the other breast .. haha.
usually i'll put a small handkerchief on the other breast as the milk dripping non-stop while i pumping.

thanks irene and sinmey! hopefully we can all increase ms.

do you latch bb on? or strictly pumping to stimulate the flow?

when do you start storing EBM in freezer? do you freeze them when you know you will have excess for the whole day?

moomooland,
my bb dun have the patient to latch on me ..
somemore my left nipple is inverted. So, i have to pump to suck the nipple out before she can latch on. But, usually she can't wait and will cry like very cham like tat once she wake up .. Then, after 40mins latch on, she still hungry and can finish 90ml of EBM. So i think she basically dun get any milk or the most 10ml from suckle. To save time, i'm now 100% pump the BM out. My hb always blamb me for not latching her. i'm so pissed off and told him i'm very tired and i find it's wasting my time. Latched 40 mins & i still have to bottle feed her then pump my BM. Then he said i always have my excuses and i should let her practise more on latching me

moomooland,
haha, the problem is, bb is eating more than my supply now ..
Then he think my breast dun get the signal on how much bb drink.
He said i should latch the bb more so that the breast will stimulate more milk as bb's demand increased. Cannot tahan him.

Asura
my MS very stagnant leh... even with powerpumping, i only get 40ml just now. maybe because my baby latched on just now, but i think he latched on more for comfort than for real feeding leh. another reason maybe it's because it was less than 3 hrs from my previous pump. my earlier pump was more than 4.5 hrs from last pump, and i get 70ml. now i dilemma, dunno to wait for more than 4 hrs for my next pump or stick to 2-3 hrs.

serene,
i ask the indian aunty.
she said just a teaspoon for a cup. Just put boiled water into the cup and leave it over night. If you wan to drink it hot then heat up in the morning. She said eat the seed too if u can.

Serene
let me know if fenugreek seed really works after u tried, ok? at the moment, i am taking too many things... i am taking fenugreek capsule, domperidone, anmum for lactating mothers, milo, nursing mothers' tea, papaya & fish soup, papaya with milk. but still my MS is not going up
sad.gif
one more thing i've not tried is oat. heard that oat can increase MS too but taking too many things now, tummy no more space for more!

jtho,

u should stll pump at 3 hrly interval to tell ur body tht there isnt enough milk. Try massaging ur boobs using hot compress method before pumping.

jtho,

To add.... do relax and dont get too stressed over the low MS... i remember my supply went up when i told myself that if really need to, just supplement with milk powder, shall not bother so much on my production as long as there is milk from me.. better than nothing.

jtho, the supply will go up gradually, dun worry too much. Just pump at 3rs interval.

I do exclusive pumping, cos same as simney, i got inverted nipples n zac is impatient to wait to suckle.

Serene
Thanks in advance.

Grace
is it the Quaker oats that u add to the milo? the instant one or the one which needs to boil?

Asura
ya, still pumping 3 hrly. just woke up, realised i missed my 3am pump, cos overslept... will make it up in the day to make up 8x. i always massage my boobs before pumping, didn't try hot compress though cos sometimes the boobs are leaking while massaging.
am also trying to relax and not too stressed up. in fact already suplementing with FM. but baby seems to like breastmilk more than FM. he starts to reject FM and taking too long to finish his FM. but whenever we give him my EBM, he will finish very fast.

Irene
i do hope the supply will go up. but now at 3 hrly, the qty stays at 40-50ml. in fact if drag till 4 hrs, it will increase till 70-80ml. so i'm seriously thinking to pump alternate 2 and 4 hrly. i.e. pump at 6am, 8am, 12noon, 2pm, 6pm, 8pm, 12midnigh, 2am. like that i can have around 400 - 440ml, hopefully
happy.gif

i tried to do exclusive pumping, but my son will start searching for my breasts when he starts to be cranky, especially at night time. then as mother, feel so guilty if i don't give him the breasts, even though i know it's more for comfort. then CL keeps nagging that later he gets too addicted to my breast, i cannot wean him off when i go back to work. i told her that we'll deal with that later. for now, i am quite glad that my son still wants my breasts and my smell to give him comfort
happy.gif

mummies, my bb doesn't wan to sleep at nite...always wide awake till 1-2am...hw ah? very tired trying to make him sleep...

SG, try to engage him more in the day. Don't make him sleep so much.. Try your best. My girl also always VERY wide awake till 11plus. I also trying to shift her zzz time earlier.. Otherwise very tiring..

jtho & Pups,
Yes, it's the Quaker Oats Instant one. I usually put 3 tablespoons but if need more milk then sometimes up to 5 scoops...but will be super thick! =P Anyway, other than for this Oats really help bcos i'm always constipated! =)

Hi mummies... i have not logged on for many months! my girl was born on 18 March, and I too like many of you struggled with MS. esp when it came from the nurses at the ward! The thing is, the more stressed you are about supply the less supply you will have. It's chickn and egg problem. There is just one bottom line to all this about MS - if there is demand there will be supply. So you have to do things to tell your body that the demand is there. Eg if you have a sleepy baby who sucks once in every 5 hrs, then in btween the feeds you have to pump to trick yr body into beliving there is 'demand'..

Some tips/encouragement

1. Try to buy Fenugreek in raw seed form - any indian provision shop will sell. Lightly fry and blend into powder form. Then take it either with honey or put into capsule and swallow them.

I did this even tho' it's so hard to swallow and my MS was restored within a day. I was asked to take like 3x a day by my mother in law but I took only 2x or sometimes once a day and still the MS is there. It's too bitter so I just take more in a single dose.

2. It doesn't mean that pumping is the only way to maintain MS. Latching does the same too - the trick is to empty the breasts as often as you can to let the body get msg that you need more MS. So the more often you empty (either by pumping or latching) the more MS you will have. For latching, make sure baby's suckle is strong enough - if you have latching problems then you have to resort to pumping initially to maintain MS.

For me, I dont pump as it's less effective than having the baby latch directly. Also at night, I am too sleepy to wake up and pump so I just latch my girl until breasts feel empty.

3. don't worry if your baby's drinking is not according to clockwork. Eg my girl drinks 3hourly from 6am to 3pm but then suddenly she will want to drink every hour and of coz my body will not be able to support. So that's when EBM comes in - dont worry if initially you have to support with FM so long as you pump after giving FM so that MS is maintained.

4. no engorgement still have milk. To be honest, if your baby feeds very often (hourly or 2 hourly..) your breasts may not have the chance to feel engorged. But if you squeeze the nipple, and milk comes out, that means you have MS.

Today my girl is almost 2 weeks and I am TBF. However, just 2 days ago, I was still relying on 1 FM feed of about 70ML.

please note that the more FM you give without stimulating the breasts to create more BM, the less MS you will have.

For those days when I had to rely on FM, I pumped. Even tho' output was 10 or 30ml, I still pump. Sometimes pump until sore still nothing comes out I still pump.

TOday after my girl latched on and fell asleep, I still have extra milk in my breasts - instead of pumping and storing, I just give the breasts to her say within 30min and she'll drink more.

I hope all of you will persevere..

go to www.breastfeeding-basics.com/ for more encouragement.

Grace,
I was thinking it's a bit too early to store the milk. Can only freeze for 3 mths mah. For my #1, I ended up throwing away 40-50 bags of expired frozen EBM.

Moomooland,
I dun ve any secret recipes really. I TBF my #1 for more than a year before getting preggy w #2. Maybe MS already there. But my advice to all is that not to give up BF. It's the best natural gift we can give to our bb. It really built up their immunity as I can see fr my #1.

Drink more fluid,continue latching/ pumping regardless of how little ur ms is. I always believe we gotta train our brain to produce the required amt of milk. Like now, though my bb is not taking a lot, but I always latch her whenever she's awake. Regardless if she's drinking or comfort sucking, it will still stimulate the MS.

Mummies
Who have low Ms can I ask how do u all pump cos for me I also eat so much thing Jtho all the things u eat I ate too but seem like it doesnt help at all.
Today than I start to realise when my massage lady teach me how to pump
Pumping need trick too when pumping cannot like lie back cos all the milk flow will flow back.
When we are using eletric pump is the best.Must press the whole breast to let milk come out keep pressing must press quite hard to help the milk flow out.It reali help I was so hapi and so told me to keep pumping to increase milk now I noe the trick of pumping hope it will help me.COs just now I pump using the technique she thought milk flow out very fast even squit out which nvr ever happen before.Was so happy but onli manage to pump out 20ml hope will slowly increase.

i have 2 packs of fitti S size but havent use yet.. tryin to finish up my Huggies NB & Nepia NB... ahhhhhh.... but the promo until June.. hee hee.. but only for NB, S & M.. probably can get M size..

caca, i dun pump lying back. i sit up, if not the milk will leak and not go into the bottles, i using dual pump. i dun hold the pump, cos the suction cause it to 'stick' on my breasts le, only will use one hand to secure it across, in case it drop off.

prosper..
haha ya lor.. 3rd march, urs also right? coz hb off on tt day so we doin tt day..
anw, my dearest #3 nephew having chicken poxs.. so do on 12th.. oso gd, by then he shd recover le. my mom say can do after 30days one.. no problem..

mummies
how to give up BF without feeling engorgement? if i dont pump/latch in 3 hrs, breast will feel sore..wondering if in the next next months when bb can start weaning already..how can I stop MS?

this is exactly my 7th day..can pump ard 60ml now...is it considered good supply so far? some mummies mention can pump ard 400-700ml..how many weeks are you now?

ivy
thanks for the info..so water retention will be gone soon..glad to hear that
anyway..u were having c-sect too right? ur lochia still continue til now? mine is very little..almost finished...only got lochia alot on the first 3 days..is it normal?

cindy, will try to engage him more in the day..coz i'm alone with him at home...very bored he look at me i look at him..then he sian he will cry haha...tried playing with him..but he simple bor chup me. hiaz....hopefully this weekend papa will b ard to engaged him together...coz i realised my bb likes alot of pple ard.. =)

miss83
is water retention better now? yah mine also c-section. my lochia is almost stop but sometime it will come back.dont worry for c-section alot of lochia is being sucked out.

Back