(2008/02) Feb 2008 MTBs

genice,
saw your photo bringing the kids to beach for sand play.
so good that they enjoy it!
#1 complains about the sand whenever we brought her to beach. hai... city kids.

1 Sept is Teachers Day! no school for #1.
Hence, i've got to take leave.
Who is taking leave on that day too? Wanna meet up?

Genice,
I agree. I don't like to travel too. But no choice.

XY,
C's school also closed on 1 & 2 Sept for teacher learning carnival and teacher day. But I won't be taking leave though, need to save some leave for a Melaka trip next month when my relatives are here.
I want to ask if there are coach to and from Melaka beside five-star. Will be going on F&E and would need to be back in Singapore before 4pm on friday. So the departure time of the coach should be about 11am or 12pm. where generally five-star coach departs from Melaka at 230pm.

XY, dun worry, G still complains abt the sand, she esp hates sand on her sandal and will rather walk on grass than wear the sandals. K was also scared of sand too but he seems to have slowly opened up.. guess its a common fear for the kids. Just bring them to the beach a few more times. I was quite surprised that bringing them to the beach was such a simple thing that did not take more than 2 hrs from reach till washed up. was telling my hub we shld do this often..say only.. haha.. dunno when is the next time.. but seriously the beach at changi is better.. the beach is a natural beach so the sand is more fine...

Sept 1 and 2 , G has no sch too... but i got tuts..
sad.gif

genice,

we brought her to Sentosa, East Coast, Changi Beach. mission failed.
nvm.. think she will overcome the fear sooner or later..

btw, i mentioned about the Time-In method previously.
There's more info about it. Share share...
http://www.weinholds.org/files/time-in.pdf

seems like 1 Sept for me is to bring either #1 or #2 to library gaigai alone lo
happy.gif

Hi mummies

Me just back from holidays, still jet lagged!

Btw any mummies keen to go to Seb's bistro sept 1st 230-530pm for a forum hosted by Nestle? Topic is children's breakfasts.

Pm, SMS or email me!

Pauline, ya lor thought it'll be fun and best part is dun dirty my kitchen hehe
happy.gif
they have Sunday sessions too if you are keen

Hi Garfield,

I had tried Genius Rus. It was fun.
But 10sep or 17sep will be packed for me as our Taiwanese relatives are in town.
Let me know when you are interested in the classes at other dates.

Blueginger, glad to know it's fun! Ok I'll let u know if I can make it for the other dates. I'm trying out the 10sep one with Bkk first but I don't mind going for another session to bake something else
happy.gif

Mummies, I feel like such a failure. I brought both girls out today on my own and was a total wreck. Both girls are no angels on their own, but together with me alone the dynamic is explosive!! Both demand and attention at the same time. Whining and crying if the other gets attention from me. I think I need professional help. Really admire those of you who do it so well. But partly I think the personalities of my gals play a part too. Extreme Type A!!

Hi Garfield,

Just for your info. The recipe from GeniusRus will require you to buy their ready mix ingredients.

I likes your "Extreme Type A"
If I am in the situation, I will leave both of them alone to cry out dry. Once they saw Mummy leaving them. They will stop all the nonsense.

Hi, Garfield
The course looks very fun. my E will love it . But I can't make it this round, since I can't imagine bringing twins wait for E's lessons. Hopefully I can enroll the class a year later.

Now with helper around, I wonder how "good" I can be. Don't know when I can manage 3 girls on my own------wait until twins are four year old?

Gar, I brought both gals out to my cousin's kid's birthday party at explorerkidz too cos hubby is busy. End up RL fell asleep on the way there but luckily she slept in the stroller in the party room for 45 mins while I brought RA to play. The air con is very strong there n i dressed RA in long sleeve t shirt n long pants. But the neckline of the shirt a bit low due to washing. Gave RA a bit of cold ribena to drink at the party, about half a cup n she started to cough at night and even in bed, keeping me awake. I feel quite lousy too. Sigh.

blueginger
if it's ready mix then u just add water and stir?? i was q interested but if it's ready mix i'm not keen...

tubao
i think 3 or 4 years old sounds like a good plan - when they're older it'll be much easier. when they're young they're so dependent on us.

XY
hey that day the nutritionist said that a certain type of food is good for kids if we want them to do maths - was it complex carbohydrates? i can't remember!!!

Iso,
Yap. The rest of the ingredients include butter and eggs also need to be incorporated into the mixture. The fun part is to spend time with your children and you can see many funny things other children did. You will get to bring home a chilren apron, 2 sets of cookies cutters (if you are working on cookies in the class) and a photo of you and your child.
It is a good experience. But the funny part is the pre-mix powder, they dun sell in precised amount. For instance, your recipe call for 300g of the premix powder. They only sold standard packing of 500g or 1kg which will leave with the rest of the powder laying ard unless you makes it again.
Anyway, I did not buy their pre-mix. Instead, I figure the portion myself since they had stated the ingredients on their pre-mix. Taste the same after bake. =)

hiya mummies,
feeling less negative today. starting to read "setting limits for your strong willed child" which is helping me put things in perspective. i can't help feeling inadequate / depressed / lousy when i cannot manage my girls and they are definitely EXTREMELY strong willed. hopefully i will be able to pick up some skills so that I can cope better.

XY,
what's RTE?

Hi XY,
Try MOSAWAY long hour spray for small C condition. Available at Guardian Pharmacy. About $9 per btl.

Hi Garfield,
I read this book and find this approach works for C most of the times.
"How to talk so kid will listen 7 listen so kid will talk" by Adele Faber & Elain Mazlish"

The key note is when the child feel right, he will listen. So giving them the right feeling is important. Always use empathetic listening. For instance, a 4 years old child who complained that his mum attention is all on the newborn. She do not love him anymore.
Mum responded "Do you feel left out?" instead of saying "Come on... You are a big boy now." or
"Baby is helpless and need more attention", etc.

Another example is when child returns from school, usually we will ask " How is school today?"
It would be better to ask "How are you feeling today?"

Garfield,

I also felt lousy and very disappointed at myself sometimes, when my older E turns rude & not listening. At home I usually locked myself in the room and took a break for 10 minutes---time out for myself.

It's difficult for us as working mums to be strict. Since we came home to sayang them, hopefully most of time, things don't come out smoothly and for me I need to rework on some behaviors spoilt by ILs and helper's pampering.

Thanks Bluegin! I'm also reading the same book (multi-tasking by reading two books at the same time!). It makes a lot of sense, but I find it soooooo difficult to do what they say. Must really practise more.

You're right. When we don't expect our 3 year olds to behave mature, and empathise with them, usually the outcome is more positive. But it's tough, especially when I am always tired and rushing for time
happy.gif

Tubao,
Yes, really have to manage the different styles of grandparents who tend to spoil the kids and tolerate bad behaviour. Nowadays i keep telling her, mummy loves you, but i do not like your bad behaviour.

Garfield,

I keep telling myself to be more realistic about expectations of myself and E, or be more relaxed but still torn between being disppointed and being proud. Don't know it's mother instinct or my own perfectionist instinct. But my E earns praises from neighborhood and school for being a good girl. Maybe I should take a break for a while.

Garfield,
Yap. Very tough~ Occasionally, I will still narrowed down to criticizing her or comparing her with meimei or vice versa. But does it really improve their behaviour? I will be very mindful when I want to lose my temper, many times will take 3 deep breathe works for me.
Hugging them will help too.

Tubao,
WOW~ E is good. Must praise her for it. Thumbs up.

blueging
for the baking - ah ok, like that still got things to do lah. haha...

blueging, gar
I borrowed the How To Talk audio book from the library, and quite liked it! But I think it's not that easy with toddlers, because of their limited understanding.

i just watched sex n the city 2 that day (i know, v slow right??) and i loved the part where charlotte locked herself in the pantry to cry. it's so real!!!! a good balance to the ridiculous clothing that carrie wore...

E is a monster when with me sometimes; but she behaves well at playground and school. I feel that she's very strong willed, my twins are much softer and flexible, more like angel babies. E is like spirited baby. My husband and I often feels that our blood boils when E challenges us.

Quite difficult. E ignores almost every words of my MIL now. If I am not around, sometimes my MIL carries one twin at one hand, holds crane at another hand, just asking E to eat. But E is sweet talk with neighbors at playground.

Now my MIL signs with relief, when seeing me back from office every day. My husband and I guess whether my ILs' pampering will turn twins to monsters. I feel that they enjoy being bullied by their grandchildren.

hi mummies!!

long time since i came by. me too having this issue, been expecting too much fm #1 that many times i end up feel g so lousy aftr smack g or scream g at him. n #2 is so used to me raising my voice these days that she doesn't even blink her eyes these days when i raise my voice at her.....Sigh!!!! really feel that m not in tune wid #2 at all as compared to #1. so tempted to send #1 to childcare to make my life easier
sad.gif

btw, does anyone have any gd book to recommend on sibling rivalry or smthg along those lines to recommend???

Hi there,

My big C is definitely not a strong willed one. But i forsee small C will be.

talking about setting too high expectation for our 3 yo. please read this:
http://www.naturalchild.org/jan_hunt/misunderstand.html

regarding 'how to talk to kids so they will listen... etc' i like this facebook page very much!
highly recommending:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Positive-Parenting-Toddlers-and-Beyond/139782679378764

enjoy reading!!

garfield,
RTE - Ready-to-eat.
basically those cornflakes, waffle bites, koko krunch, honey stars, cheerios.. blah blah blah..
very fanciful name for them right? :p

bluegin,
Mosaspray, for healing or preventing mosquitos?
thanks for the recommendation for my 'leopard' Cammie.. :p

Xy thanks for sharing!

Leila , read the page xy posted above . Many a times we dun treat ourkids like kids. Remember that they r only a 3 yo kid. It's always wrong of us to scold or smack them.

Iso,
Hee Hee~ I had not watched Sex n the City yet. You are not too late. =)

Sigh~ After talking about How TO Talk ytd, I lost my temper last night when S threw the storybooks on the floor repeatedly. I gave her a smack her left thigh which gave both gals a shocking impact followed by loud cries. I felt so guilty immediately seeing what I had done to them. Sigh~
I should have guided them through instead. =(

Leila,
Good to hear from you.
the books you need is for you or children?

XY,
Shenon is a strong-will and 'silent killer' girl.
For instance, we were on our way back from XiYao last sunday, C snatched her wooden block out of her hands, causing her to cry aloud for barely a minute. She observed her sis carefully and waited for a chance. When C did not notice, S took the opportunity to beat her on her forehead. As a result, a lot of crying here and there. And yet S just could not be bothered by that, in fact S gave her the 'you deserved it' looks before playing on her own. Very horrible, right?
Hence, now I have to be strict with S just in case she might easily take the wrong path. Furthermore, grandma favours C more than S and I can see the envy look in her eyes last night when grandma do not want her to share C book.

MOSaway is for prevention. stands for mosquitoes away.

tongtong,
Ya~ C looks like a 5yo child, but her mindset is still 3 years old. She still need lots of attention just likes any other kids do. I used to put high expectations on her. Want her to be more independent, take care of herself, take up ballerina, music classes etc. Hb always reminds me do not be a Kiasu parent.

mummies,

<font color="ff0000">Children Don't Misbehave</font>
read this..

http://www.gordontraining.com/wp-content/uploads/What_Every_Parent_Should_Know_1.pdf

bluegin,
small C no better either. whenever jiejie snatch things from her, she willl bite, scream, beat and cry.
the problem is i've never beat her before, not sure where she learn the beating from.
so sad that someone in the house practicing favorism and it might hurt the feeling of the little one.. any mummy has any idea to help on this situation?

Hi mommies,

Been busy with my move for a long long time. Moving is such a huge undertaking and always seem to move, move, move but never move finish!

Qingling, you going to BKK? Which part you wanna stay at? My parents stayed at Citadines, Sukhumvit recently. Good reviews.

Bluegin

FAVOURITISM!! Oh yeah. that is my problem. My parents openly say that they prefer K because she is so guai etc etc and will only take her with them on weekends. whereas my FIL clearly favours Sarah. In a way, both sides balance out but I think it's unhealthy in the long run.

SILENT KILLERS! Same. My S will wait for her chance to whack the sister. MOst times she will just whack her and sometimes for no rhyme or reason too! And then S will whack herself on the same spot as if doing that will mitigate the pain on her sister or maybe it's a form of punishing herself??!! I don't know....how to stop her? how to make her understand cannot whack pp...aiyah. And I notice something, everytime I tell her ''mei mei, u did something wrong you know that?'', she will refuse to look in my eyes and when I tell her to apologize, she will cast her head down and look sulky. Very bad....how to correct this? I even got this book called ''Martha doesn't say sorry'' which is abt this bear too proud to apologise but....lost on her!

Tubao
Be proud of your dear E. Dun be perfectionist.

Gar
Spend more time with them to appreciate their strengths and weaknesses. Wat looks like weaknesses to you may be strengths in turn
happy.gif

xy,

thks for the attachemnts, guess i need to make a conscious effort to remind myself of #1 capabilities at this pt of time. n for me #2 has seen me smacked #1 many times, so she has somewhat picked that up
sad.gif

bluegin,
actually if u have book recommendations for parents or children, it wld be good!!

bkk tks!we alr settle for evergreen apartment nearer mbk, hopefully its gd. going end of mth w colleagues! no children no men! haha

my #2 is also a bully, n a "complain" king, always point to her sis when he dun manage to snatch the toys from his sister..ha

Hi mommies, I'm all for positive parenting but wondering will they grow up expecting that the world would treat them nice?

Ql, I stayed at evergreen b4. It's not bad n location is quite ok. Abt 10mins walk to MBK.

Clover, interesting tot u have.. Guess they will have to learn that thru experience.. Ultimately family is best!

XY, this hitting thing is confirmed natural instinct. I never hit C, but he does hit me or push me when I don't give him things he want.

I will like to go to pasir ris park.. Just went last weekend for a bdae party. Drizzling slightly but the park has an amazing playground now.. Definitely want to go again but let me check hubbys schedule first..

Hi, XY
I went through terrible self doubt time when E hit /bite people around 2 year old. Lots of brainstorming, lots of self -blaming, of course, also trying to blame my MIL's style.----bad of me hoh....

It is just over; though she remembers all these which happened almost 2 years ago clearly. E still likes to mingle with boys, well, every one including boys, and play guns game whatever. But I am not so worried now, her biggest interest at the present is to become a princess, influenced by her cousin.

Back