(2008/02) Feb 2008 MTBs

Hi mommies,

Sorry I missed out all the postings yesterday abt the trial. Luckily bluegin and xy SMSed me. Anyway, if no one else going for 1130 am trial, I won't go too cos I wanted to catch up with you guys.

XY,
actually it's a long story lah. at the time my mom (staying in the east) couldn't look after kids and I had to rely on mil (staying in the west) so we rented out own place (in the east) and went to rent somewhere central so to be near mil. The thinking also was that we didn't know what school to place K in, so maybe renting is ok until we decide.

Now, looking to buy as I am personally tired of moving around. Will cont to rent maybe another 1 yr. Meantime look for place to buy and hope prices stabilise. Dun think will drop drastically but hopefully with the KBW effect, prices will level up.

genice - i tink i will skip the music classes. not so keen in that. I am perhaps keen to find a art class for Heidi in the west, then rejoining the lapbook next yr (classes registration will open in August, u keen?) Classes will start in Feb 2012

QL
what lapbook classes did u go to? btw Abrakadoodle art classes are v good! the only thing i don't like is i think it's too short
happy.gif

iso,
2+ is about the nap time of my both gals.
in this case can't join the trial for sweelee(???). let me know how it goes, ok?

bkkgal, oic, makes sense. I dream of buying another prop and moving to a new place if I dun have to sort out and move all barang barang. Best way is if I can buy everything new. Fat hope. kekeke. ;)

So, have you decided where to send Kate for pri school?

Btw, what swee lee deal ah?

tong,
ok !

jeannie,
i don't need it so dun mind selling - not sure how to price it though as i cannot recall the price, got it from spree. maybe $10? ok with you? let me know via pm if you are ok or not.

re: juzmusic trial
bluegin not able to go online till this evening, this is the information she would like to inform mummies/kids who are going for the trial:

<font color="0000ff">Juzmusic Junior Playtime Class</font>
Date: 23 July 2011
Time: 1130 am ~ 1215 pm
Venue: Parkway Centre, #09-04
Tel: 6344 4420

If driving, please reach there 30 minutes earlier as parking are limited.

Thanks bluegin! Thanks XY! See you tomorrow!

Pauline,
er...nope, not decided yet...but I think I'm not top school quality mom leh....top school must go back and revise with kid all the homework wan leh...usually we just chuck her h/work one side and go and play. then next week lesson time, just find the bag again and drive to school. hahaha, how to be top school mom and top school student??? Right about now, I guess all those top school aspirants must be busy attending "useful" lessons on maths, phonics, chinese, blah blah, we are only doing fun stuff like music. haha. I think just go average school ok liao...

bkkgal,
i'm totally with you. another non-top school quality mum here! i don't want to have to "go to school" together with her...

was just thinking the other day - so what if our education system is so good - all the senior executives in MNC also not singaporean what (in fact from countries where the system is a lot "inferior").

so i gather, there is much more to success in career than getting good grades in school. i'd rather chill and let kiddos have a less stressful time, and focus on other attributes that help them get ahead in life.

Iso - Tiny acorns, probably you heard of it before? http://**************.wordpress.com/2009/10/26/sample-lapbooks/ Abrakadoodle i think no branches in the west leh - nearest is bukit timah...i just want somewhere nearby.

gar
cool! welcome welcome!

anyone know if there's playarea at parkway?

schooling
it's true, in working life, EQ and other skills like talking a lot is more important than good grades.
but i never thought about the part about doing homework with kids, i don't think i want to do that either! lol.

QL
oh yes! I just attended her workshop last weekend w apple! Thought it was pretty interesting. are you seeing any value in the classes for heidi?

iso...
the 'playarea' i noramlly use for parkway is isetan toy section. :p and just around the corner (within isetan) is a nice changing room too...

or else just outside isetan..where all the kiddy rides are.

or else rent that 'car' to wheel them around parkway for an hour ($3 or something like that)

happy.gif

have fun everyone.

(btw..there is some voucher thing for kinderdance at Temasek Club on saturdays. u may want to google.)

i think i've enough 'enrichment' for ruth at the moment with gymnastics (Sat) and ballet (Wed). Plus her school also have kindermusik once a week so i think for now it's enough.

Thinking of starting her on swimming next year though.

iso,
LOL...i like the "talking a lot" part. ya, it's true, doers don't get rewarded as much as the talkers! at least in my coy!

no specific play area in parkway - i usually let the kids hang out where lezy mentioned too.

Thanks, Iso, guess not so useful since their class is for 3 yrs &amp; above. RaeAnne is already at Yamaha.
happy.gif

bkkgal, me too, RA's CC teacher has to call me personally a few times cos I never bother to check the comms book. Yesterday was racial harmony day, I wouldn't have known that I need to buy nyonya snacks and dress RA in a cheongsam if she didn't call me. :p But to me, a school that emphasizes Chinese education is impt so SAP pri schools r preferred. ;)

Pauline, thks! Very useful information!
happy.gif
will go checkout.

Sigh. G is down w high fever of 38-39.8, dunno y, just happened right after sch on thurs. Wonder y there is such fever that just spiked. Extremely clingy n unhappy.

Iso, u attended e workshop? How u find it? Gonna join ql next yr? Keke.

Ql, u went for e workshop in e end? Can u remind me again via whatsapp when u wanna register? Independent class rite? I dunno whether G will be ready for it b I am keen to let her try , can let her go w H too at least got co. Ur small h how? I got nothing planned for k yet.

Thanks Tubao .

Thanks tute, will pm u.

Iso.. Agree tat abra is gd n most impt near my place!!

But again g is not ready for it. It's ironic that I want to send her to fun classes like art class, ballet class yet everyone esp her gets so stress by e fact tat she can't manage it now. Since e last episode , I haven introduce anything, hopefully she can grow out of it. Now she sees me everyday even more reliant, does this happen to E?

K is quite different from g when I am out of sight, I am out of
his mind too! Keke. Just to add having 2 kids is tiring b fun, I love to c how e 2 of them interacts n play. K is a pretty entertaining boy, gd to laugh at/with, quite easily satisfied boy.

Work:
NATO works n no offence n not been racist, I think our Indian frens does it best, as proven in at least me n hub's wrkpl. :p

genice
when must sign up for the little acorns by? if she's on maternity leave then how ah?? E is quite sticky, i'm certain he won't want to go for any classes if i don't at least attend with him at first. actually i don't even know if he will be comfy to attend ANY classes by himself! And it's harder when you also have to divide your time and attention with #2. sigh! maybe just got to wait until they're older and grow out of the phase.

iso, genice- i was informed tiny acorns resume classes next yr, reg starts in aug, but usually they let existing students reg first i tink, i will inform u guys again
happy.gif
. i went for workshop too, found it gd, first time attending such workshop.but like too short, could have discuss more
happy.gif
. H enjoys the lesson, to me that is more impt, n to learn something extra is always a bonus. genice, mayb i w let Hayden join the class too once he's ready
happy.gif

Pauline,
Feedback on RaeAnne's Yahama Wonderland session.

After attending JuzMusic, I realized that most of the music lesson for 3 years old kids are about the same, so I would prefer somewhere in our neighbour.

Playdate
Ya. When?
Indoor or outdoor?

bkk,
Top-school quality mum.
On contrary, cos not top-school quality mom tt y just throw kids to top-school teachers. Don't think will follow the kids around and chase them on h/w.

Ql, yar, i also remembered she will let existing students register first. Its ok, u keep us informed, if available, i will just go, if not its ok. H definitely enjoyed the lesson much more than G. If G have the same enthusiasm as H, i will prob not take her out.
sad.gif
Recently,she has been testing my patience, acting like a baby... i am so upset w her but i noe she is seeking attention so have to cool down..sigh...

ISo.. lets go together when registration opens.
happy.gif

What is the youngest age to enrol, i dun mind trying K out too! Update me too, k and H can attend same class.

QL
yah the workshop like she rushing thru everything! She shld just give herself 2 or 2.5 hours instead of 1.5 hours.

ok let us know when registration is open! do you already know when the classes will be? like Saturdays or weekdays or..?

genice
E also same! everything Didi do he also want to follow. and keep making baby noises. Aiyo, drives me crazy.

are the classes mixed age? so u can possibly bring K and G at the same time?

you know hor, i think they should have more classes for mixed age groups. or more classes that are simultaneous for 2 different age groups, so parents with more than 1 kid like us can kill 2 birds w 1 stone!

blueging
it was my first time attending ANY music lessons, so it was an eye opener for me. I liked the teacher (Amelia?) though, and overall E seemed to like it. maybe when A is 1.5years i can bring them both to classes at the same time.

bluegin
thanks for coordinating the trial! Kate enjoyed herself in the class. But I don't think I'll go to Parkway again. the crowds are just madness!

Topschool
i hope i'm not generalising but so far, i have heard parents of students in top schools say that the teachers are focused on maintaining standards and obtaining grades, there's no time to coach your kids. Instead, parents have to hire tutors to help them through the h/w. One of my friends who sent her dd to pei hwa took her out after 6 mths in P1 as her teacher ''hinted'' that dd cannot keep up. Another friend (also pei hwa) said 99% of her dd's class went to Learning Lab for tuition. When teacher taught the curriculum, 99% students said we already learnt in Learning Lab, can you skip or go faster? So teacher was pressured to go faster but what abt my friend's dd? She had no chance to learn
sad.gif
I'm not sure topschool teachers would pay equal attention to all. i feel that added stress is on parents to make kids perform and teachers to maintain performance.

bkkgal
*nod head furiously in agreement*

teachers pressured to ace the As = completely wrong motivation and mentality to teach

PERIOD

Agree with Garfield.
Nowadays, teachers are more result-oriented.

Bkk,
Hmmm~ My friend's children also in Pei Hwa, do not have this problem. But the mummy very stress. Keep sending her children to tuition, wushu, weiqi class.

ISO, bkk, XY,
Great to hear that you had enjoyed it.
I went to the earlier session. Teacher Clare is good too. Actually it is a class of 3, the other 2 seem to be regular. Channet enjoys the class too. But I dislike the lift of that building, we waited for 15mins just to get into the lift and it stops at almost every level.

I find that music lesson is good in a way as it will stimlate children left and right brain.

bkk
that's pei hwa? wonder what happens in other schools like RGS!
my friend whose boys are in ACS said that at the last parent teacher meeting, the teacher told him that he (the parents) needed to help his son. But he was like, Then what does the teacher do?!

juzmusic
kate was such a good girl! E was quite all over the place... i had to tell him a few times to behave otherwise he wait outside the class. sigh!

bluegin, wow only 3?? our class had like 7 or 8? q crowded.

Iso,
When I peeped into the 1130 session, all the kids are very well-behaved.

The 1030 class nobody leh. There are only 3 children, including C. Hahaha.

Kitsune,
Juzmusic do not need to buy books unlike Yahama. That's the thing I dun like about Yahama.

Iso,
We had 9 students in our class - 5 regulars and 4 trials. K is pleasantly surprised to have me in the class. While we were waiting outside the classroom, her eyes were starting to tear up and she was going to start getting upset at being pushed to enter a class on her own until i explained to her that I'll be going in as well. I am usually apprehensive if I have to send her to a new class. This girl is not as adaptable as I hoped.

Bluegin, yeah that lift!! breeding ground for viruses man! every floor has enrichment school.

RGS
A colleague's dd moved from St Margaret's to RGS after P3 streaming. He said definitely stress levels are higher, more competitive but his dd is clever type, can handle the stress so he's not worried. His main observation is RGS parents are more Type A personality - can see from the way they drive and no one give way when entering the school whereas SMPS parents are more community-community. He said when he sends dd to playdates, the maids of the RGS parents will show them in whereas SMPS parents will come to the door themselves and talk to them. haha, difference hor?

So many posts to read!

Lapbook
I'm interested to attend a workshop but dunno can accommodate me + bb?

Primary sch
If I hv a dd going to rgs I think I will inevitably force to adapt to the "culture". Sounds stressful.

Helper
Going to bring my helper back to agency this weekend. Hb will be out of SG at least 3/4 of the time till end oct. Intend to do it by myself + pt helper + tingkat. Pls pray for me!!

Blueginger, oic, yes, that's true. But RaeAnne loves the books cos they have stickers for the songs, stickers for attendance. And sometimes, the teacher gives out stickers too. In fact, that's how I entice RA to go for class. I tell her Ms Chan is going to let us paste new stickers or give us stickers, if you don't go, then you don't get any stickers. ;)

I attended the trial at juzmusic for RA before. I like the way the classroom is less structured, carpeted, free seating except for the musical instruments by the side. But hate the crowd, the lift and the parking! :p

bkkgal, Gar, er hem, generalisation does seem true. Hubby's tuition assignments are from the top JCs. I was surprised cos I thought the teachers from these schools will be teaching them enough, no need tuition liao. Cos sometimes, the teachers at those top school don't go the extra mile cos they expect the kids to be self motivated and the brainy with lots of home tuition. :p

Pauline,
How much do you pay for Yahama Wonderland course including the material?
Is it the one near library?
Juzmusic: ya the offset is the crowd, lift and parking. But I won't mind if the children enjoy themselves there. S still do not know how to appreciate music yet.

RGS
I wonder how my friend survived through the days when she was studied there. I believe the school believe that the top student absorded faster hence their teachers had many things to cover. As a result, the students are expected to do some self study.
The smart also have 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Why are they smarter than all of us?

clover,
No worries. Always remember that the first day is always the toughest day. After a month or so, things will settle into a routine. Jia you.

juzmusic
wonder if the parking is any better if we go for the earlier class at 1030? bluegin was it bad for you too? in the end i just park in a season lot, lucky didn't get fined even though i went to jalan at Popular and NTUC :p

bkk
haha Kate so cute. If I was going to leave E there he will CONFIRM cry lor.

That's a nice SMPS story.. I'm sure most of us here would prefer a SMPS type of environment!

ACS
My cousin's son is in Pri 2, and she said one of the kids had his bday party at the Shangrila, and he came into the ballroom on a flying fox. AND he did a short video with Robin Leong (because he does martial arts w him) that cost like $10k.
proud.gif

But she (or was it my friend who teaches at ACSI?) said that some of the kids are really "poor" thing, their parents are hardly around, and get driven around by drivers.

clover
workshop is once in a while only, u can look on her website, Tiny Acorns. The workshop is 1.5 hrs and only and only parents allowed.

what happened with your maid? anything drama or just can't tahan? you can do it, i'm sure! you're so garang!!

woah long time never drop by here.

Iso: so coincidence loh. but too bad I am so slow and you are so fast to zoom off that I did not manage to *catch* you lol

Genice: In her workshop, a lot of things is what she has shared in class. But we tends to forget and i think its good as it like a reminder to me lah.

She used to have class for babies leh (non-lapbooking classes) but she has since stopped doing so and is focusing on lapbooking. But with her new baby, she may start one again?

top sch: my primary school in Jurong is a very popular sch. I have since now shifted to north area after getting married and my friend told me i should enrol my girl there and I was like what? isn't that mad to travel daily from like ang mo kio to Jurong just for primary sch? she told me if its her, she would..............

Clover
You can do it! You brought 2 kids to JB on public transport, what can't you do? hehe. I have faith in you. Have you found your PT helper?

Apple
I think it's very punishing for small kids to travel long distances. Esp if they are first to be picked up and last to be dropped off. By the time they arrive in school, while everyone else is still fresh, they are already tired out by the bus ride.

Iso
Bday party at the Shang?! wah. stressful if I'm invited - what gift to give a kid who has everything in the world? sad for the boy who probably only wants his parents' time.

hi apple, how are u?

Sounds like the course was gd! However i do find it a tad ex for 1 .5 hr duration thats y i did not sign up.

Iso ^5..all the "babying" is driving me crazy.

Re; Pri Sch
Think really depends on what u want for ur kids and what kind of character they have.

Previously i was thinking of getting to nyps since 10 mins walk from my in laws though she might not even get in.. but now i am thinking 2x after hearing from a teacher at learning lab that a lot of nyps kids are there, they have no life, very suffocating and the mediocre students gets neglected the most. I am quite sure G is not gonna be the top grade student, neither is she the competitive kind, in fact, she seems like she will "crumble" under stress. She is only motivated when she sees results and many compliments.. thus she might survive better in a normal env.. so maybe i will just consider a neigbouhood school, maybe she will get her chance to shine and that will motivate her more and perhaps eventually she will do well...

clover..
btw, i think u r doing a great job coping w both and half e time ur hub is not ard. No doubt u have helper but i am sure u are still doing most of the work esp stuffs dealing w kids. Well done, i will not be able to do as well as u if my hub is not ard... Jia you u can do it!

bluegin,
Saw u mention abt the 24 hrs, 365 days.. y are smarter pp smarter than us. Honestly, i feel that it does have something to do w :

1) Genes,
some pp are just borned smarter or perhaps their parents stimulated them a lot when young?

2) Attitude.
Smart kids can fail too if they get complacent. Good attitude will bring u far.

Since i am in education line and i am currently giving tut, i have seen many kinds of students. There are those who are:

1) Geniunely weak: I have this boy who is really poor,practically testing ur patience , you have to teach him 1 step > 10 times and pray tat he understands it but most likely he will still confuse next lesson.. Sometimes he gets stucked at such a seemingly simple step that you really wonder what is wrong. Of coz , i dun look down on him but i was seriously appalled by his level and the way he tried to understand a relatively simple step ( i am talking about really simple ones). He is not lazy, just really really weak and i wonder whether there was a portion of his brain ( logical thinking) right brain portion that wasnt devloped/ stimulated or connected properly when he was young and that explain his inability to "see" e maths qns. I am serious abt it and it does worry me when i think of my kids.

2)Smart and reasonable attitude students-i teach once, they get it and can think out of the box and apply the concepts to other qns. they think much deeper and can see the link between differnt qns.

3) Normal level of intelligence and reasonable attitude- These grp need a bit of push to get them to think but still ok.

4) Think they are smart and lousy attitude- Had 1 such student, i sacked her..

5) Super reliant student and bo chup- Refused to even think of the next step, taking N levels in 2 mths time and she doesnt know how where is the base and ht of a traingle and every tut keeps telling me she wants to go US and buy american apparels. Read every qn, str away say dunno how to do, do every step, expect me to tell her to do the next step.. sigh..

so in conclusion, time is the same for everyone, it really depends on how u make use of it... blessed or not blessed w intelligence does not matter, i think attitude is the most impt.
happy.gif

" one kind of rice feed 100 kinds of people" keke..

Sorry for the lengthy post.

Back