(2008/02) Feb 2008 MTBs

xy-i tink it was 38.8 when I notice her shivers..in a frenzy so dun remember details..Haha..imagine my mind was a blank when I see her turn blue n shiver n I dinno what's my next step of action...esp when I have no family member in my hse except the maid n 2 young children who was already asleep by then..(11 already)

qingling,
my friend's #1 had fit, but #2 dun have. but still need to be careful.
happy.gif

38.8 then starts shivering. that's quite serious. luckily that you notice her shiver.
if it were me, i won't even notice that liao. cos i sure also be sleeping.

Xiaoyun
ya, hubby went reservist last wk. Next yr last yr n he say cd b 3 wks. Then later say may hv chance to be 1 wk cos their grp won dunno wat award. No guarantee tho.

Bx
my hubby offered to drink ebm when i had excess last time. Dont waste mah. If not freezed, wont hv smell. Quite bland i felt.

ql, i witnessed my fren's kid (apr 08) who had a crying induced fit. fr wat i can rem, the child has to be lay down on the floor, check if she's biting her tongue, talk to her gently n assure her. take note of e time, if more than 5min send to hospital immed. This may not be accurate so u better check with doc.

Did the kkh doc arrange for follow up? nuh's better in this area. Can ask my fren for more info if u like. Tcm n suppl. Etc. Just let me know.

clover-the doc never say need follow up, yes interested to know abt suppl n tcm for prevention if possible,do let me know...many thanks! I will remember to inform her pd n see if she will advise follow up or not.

Hello mummies

very troubled now... My wound got infection and the wound open up... Tmr going gynae n see what to do...

If really need to restitch how?

This past month already cant hold bb much n cant do much stuff.... Imagine this starts all over again like right afterdelivery.... Sigh

qingling,
i think what H had was febrile fit, caused by high fever. Young children get that sometimes if their fever gets too high. Hope she gets well soon!

diana,
hope everything is ok for u too!

ql, nordic natural dha oil (in liquid form). cheaper to buy from overseas or if u want it fast, can buy from vitakids. according to another friend, her kid has eye seizure, the dha oil helps the condition of the child with seizure. i supp it's bcoz dha is a brain supplement.

the tcm i think is in clementi. near u?

diana-what happen? Why ur wound open up, accidental?
Clover-will check out the dha supplement,yes clementI very near me..pls let me have the add..so far I have never let Heidi went tcm,perhaps can also boost her lungs for cough.
Fairfield-Ya..its febrile fit..sigh..becos of the little ones..i learnt quite some new medic terms..croup..febrile fit..Duh..Haha..

a quick update

my mum went to pray for my girl, said to have maybe seen dirty thing....

re fit - have to be careful cos PD mentioned before if a child has it before, the tendency of having it during fever is higher.... sigh that time i tried to off air con and let my girl sweat out also got scoolded by the nurse. she said for adult u can cos u konw where is th limit. for children, they may worsen and fit comes in, fit has no medicine.... she rather i dont keep thinking of side effect of neurofen etc but think of only rbing down the temp....

for breastfeeding, :p er dont think badly of me please, i still latch my girl once in the night before sleep.... for those who wantt to increase supply can try pumping at 2am, due to some hormones etc, send a signal to the brain for signal.

pump in between feed can cause bab yto be furstrated as the flow is very slow during feed, but it is a good way to build up the supply to be ready to go back to work....

winnie,
i think u quite experience with bfing. ask u hor, if i pump between feeds, the baby wun be full at the next feed right? coz i am assuming that if both my breasts produces 40ml per hour, 3 hours later should be 120ml which is roughly what my baby needs. however, if i pump in between, my breasts my only have 60ml avail at the next feed. how will baby be full? or is it the breast will continue to produce as the baby sucks? hope u understand what i mean.

bx, from what i understand, if you pump already then suddenly bb cried and want milk, when u latch, there will still be milk, just that imagine a tap that is running very slowly... so she will still drink, in a slow down mode, so bb may be frustrated, and then either sleep or get tired after a while, then the next feeding will come fast because he may not have drank fully... but to me is ok, cos the most latch again loh hehehee, but u may find it tiring cos every in a while he will wants milk....

if you latch with full breast he will be happier but then cannot predict what is the next round he will want to latch, so dont feel stress to pump in betweem.... he will still have milk, jus twhether fast or slow flow...

Bx from my exp after I pump n rl wants to latch. There is still milk but letdown will come slower n shorter. But it's ok leh, she still seems satisfied. Maybe cos I always pump both sides evenly about 10mins but one side ( the one she last fed on) will always have more milk left so I latch her that side first.

I see. so sure got milk. just whether fast or slow flow. at least now i dun have to worry so much abt pumping in between feeds.

Thanks winnie and pauline!

really admire those mummies who is SAHM and can handle 2 kids or more..i have my mum, mil, maid and me, and we r so bz with the duo..(esp when #1 is sick now..)..kudos kudos..

now my #1 is super glue, takes 100% of my time, while #2 is taken care by mil for the time being..feel so guilty..now second month also not much pictures of him taken
sad.gif

XY,
Thanks for your clarification, I was still thinking what kind of soup to expect from that combination :p I cook my soup the same way as you too. But we still eat chicken when someone's coughing, don't believe in cough cannot eat chicken.

blueginger,
Most chiffon recipes call for cake flour but I've tried using plain flour before, no prob at all.

Qingling,
OMG! Hope your girl gets well soon.

Excess ebm,
I use it as creamer for my kids, add to their milk, milo, horlicks etc... Or for beauty, use it as milk bath, facial mask, moisturizer etc... other treatments include sore eyes, mozzies bites etc...

bx,
I agree with Winnie and Pauline. Basically the theory of breastfeeding is very simple. Demand = Supply. If you express in between feedson a regular basis, overtime, you will eventually produce more milk. Imagine this, when you latch directly, says 9am, 12pm, 3pm, 6pm etc... Your body is tuned to produce milk at these timing. But if you express at 1.30pm on a daily basis, you are telling your body you need more milk. Overtime, your body will produce milk at 9am, 12pm, 1.30pm, 3pm, 6pm. For a start, when you feed your bb at 3pm, he may not feel full as the flow is slow but be assured he wont be hungry too. And if you want to increase your supply, tandem pump.

re: chiffon cake
based on my limited knowledge on baking, i think you'll get a finer texture by using cake flour. plain flour works too just that texture wise is more coarse.

reena - what is tandem pump? i am so tired recently, no time to pump properly somemore, i tink supply gonna go haywire liao..
sad.gif
i m going to try baking the earl grey cake with ur recipe again..haha

piglettail - did u manage to bake the cookies with the recipe i show u? hee..rem to show us pics.

love to bake, love to sew..arg..no time
sad.gif

it's all coming bk to me now. I did tandem pump for the 1st 2mth. I feed bb on one side n pump on the other side at the same time. Aft bb finished on this side, i switched him to the other side to get the hind milk.

QL
hope everything is better now? so drama, i would definitely be so distraught too!!

BFing
i seem to have problems trying to get the ss up even though i latch and latch! and now this last week A hasn't put on any weight (for a week), so dr. ask me to express as much as possible. A is also feeding every 2-3 hours, sometimes as soon as 1.5 hrs (if he didn't take much). so i'm super bo eng, haha.

desitin/orajel toothpaste
any mummies want any of these? i bought quite a few so got extra to sell away...

ql,
how's heidi? better?

iso,
ask u. i got a huge cavity in my teeth. already fill many times. i think really beyond repair. is it must go for root canal? roughly how much in general? and is it painful?

bx
not sure if u need to have root canal, u mean the filling keeps dropping out? treatment is abt $350 - 800, depending on which tooth i think. pain, hard to say. they use computer controlled anesthetic injections, which are less painful than traditional injections, if that helps.

u know what, i'm already taking fenugreek and domperidone from the gynae! each time i can only pump about 50-70mls out. sigh!

hi ladies...

QL,
no i haven't tried baking...instead i bought the miffin pack from muji...prepare for 5mins, bake 20mins and hey presto! muffins are ready!
will try baking and let u know how it goes
happy.gif

Hope your kids are better now?

Iso,
yup the filling came off and I think the tooth chipped also. Quite painful when I chew my food. Thks for the info.

Ur ss is after latch? If it is, quite good. Also the amt is pumped at what time interval? 2 hrly?

bx,Iso-Heidi back to normal self..still coughing away but no fever.back to the usual irritate me self..Haha...

My ss for 1 3 weeks also 70-80ml 3hrly,slowly then 90ml,now ard 110,120ml 3hrly..but recently due to lack of sleep,no time to pump properly too..ss haywire..only 60ml after 3hrly..zz..Hah..I try to eat fenugreek now..5 each time,once a day..

QL, just read about your experience with no 1's fit. Must be really scary for you. I think I will also burst out in tears to see our darling in this state. Hope H is better now.

I got the MIM sarong pouch..love it! Got the silk one and I think baby loves it too.

Sweetpea,
I also got it. Tried it on Ashlynn but not on didi yet as he is either sleeping or just drink milk. He is a puker so scared he spit up milk when I move him too much. Other times when he guai guai lying there, I busy pumping or washing pump. Sigh... Will try later :p

bx
puker.. i like that term, lol!!

my ss is without latching, and usu 3-4 hr intervals. :S i'm trying to shorten the time to 2.5hrs but sometimes so busy before you know it, it's like 3-4 hrs later already!

Hi mommies!

QL, omg, what a heartstopping episode! Hope Big H is better? Dunno what I would have done myself.

Re: Sterilising pumps
I took my Lock and Lock box with me to Penang and simply washed and run boiling water over the pumps. At work, I do the same thing too cos I hate the sterilising tablet smell. So far ok bb didn't have any diarhoea. Oh and the Medela freestyle instructions said not to sterilise the pumps, except for first use, so I figure it's ok not to. Just run the bottles through with hot water before pumping.

Sarong/Pouch
I love my sarong to bits! It's great for travelling too, doubles up as blankie, sunshade, nursing shawl, picnic mat...hahaha, multipurpose sarong.

I have a pouch too but I think it's not as versatile as the sling.

Playtex milkbags
Anyone used playtex mb before? How do you secure it huh?

Ting
I ordered from this mommy baker before. It was for K's 2nd birthday, I got an Elmo cake. http://piccolo-yogashiten.blogspot.com/
The cake is yummy (vanilla sponge with fresh strawberries) and the elmo was very welldone. Forgot to add that her prices are very reasonable but it's self collect.

Iso,
I think ss will increase upon reaching 1 mth. Meanwhile, hang on there. Keep pumping n latching. Try not to drag till 4 hrs as our ss not establish yet.

QL, hope everything is better now.. i think i would have cried too.. dunno what to do if hubby not around.

Re: bm

bkkgal.. i used the ikea clip to secure , otherwise can use the wire tie.

iso.. my ss also not very high.. abt 120 ml if i never latch, if i latch abt 80 ml.. i hope ss can stabilise soon, sometimes after latching bbs till hungry.. sian.. have to warm up ebm.

And i agree with u , 3-4 hrs pass by so fast!!! Sometime i stretch till 5-6 hrs.. esp at nite.
BTW, how is atticus?

Bx.. read abt u nursing in public!!
happy.gif
i dunno whther i dare or not.. haha.. must try some day.. u nurse in fornt of who.. ur fil also there??

Re: boobs
My boobs very big leh.. when will it reduce in size??? Can boobs reduce in size plus milk ss remains?

Re: wt of bb
My bb put on 1 kg, he is abt 4 kg now at 3 weeks.. hopefully can gain more so look more chubby.. haha.

Re: photoshoot
Dreamgarden thread and K's photo.
http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/messages/450761/3541489.html?1276996681

Genice- nice shot of K...i want to arrange for the phtotoshoot too..will confirm with hub today..hee..then u can get ur extra free prints too..

qingling,
Put a pillow below the baby and you lift him up to nurse, football hold. Then put your pump onto the other breast and wait for let down. Quick and easy. When bb is done with his feed, switch him over to the other breast (ie the pump side) and continue to let him nurse the hindmilk.

Increase milk supply
If you want to increase your supply, drink LOADS of fluid. When I was expressing for DD1, my supply was low ie 80 - 120ml each session, 3 hourly interval and I don't drink alot of water. I tried papaya soup and supplements (eg fenugreek and nettle), nothing works. With DS2, I drink at least 2 litres of water and each expression is min 240ml, and at good times I yield 350ml per session, about 2 - 3 hours interval. I had to express 4 times while working else my breasts will be so engorged. Imagine I only spend 10 hours in the office and I had to express 4 times. So water is really effective! Do give it a try for those wanting to increase their ebm.

Earl grey chiffon cake
I've not baked this for a long time, maybe it's time to bake it again. Thanks for the reminder as I've not been baking alot lately too.

bkkgal,
I know this seller, Rei. She's a very talented baker!

Hello mummies

i hv been trying to express my milk every 3hrly but my nipples r sore from the expressing. And too painful to latch even.

I knwj still hv milk but too painful to pump after 10min. Usually how long shld we express each time?

I hv been using the min speed of the pump already but still sore leh...

Now is like the breasts sore and the wound pain.... Sigh..

bx, genice, reena
ok tx! will try to jia you.. at night also i'm too lazy to pump, will get him to latch. so far from like midnight to 7 or 8 am he will only wake up for milk once! and sometimes early morning he not so interested.. like this morning i had to pump.
and i know i can definitely drink more water!!

so after 1 month the SS will be more stable, also means that it won't increase so easily?

bkk
the cakes on the site looks not bad! i'm amazed/surprised that she put that she's in a not so fantastic marriage
proud.gif

diana
what pump are you using? i think latching is more painful than pumping, could it be your pump?

genice
A is doing well now, we just went for 2nd review this week and the dr is really happy w his heart now. now just cross fingers that nothing major crops up for this first year of his life, then he should be more or less ok for the rest of his life.

Diana, I ususally pump abt 15 mins, I very impatient one , if can reach abt 150 ml after 3-4 hrs I will stop pumping. But sometimes will can only 80-100ml usually will have 2 let downs I think.I think stop latching if sore nipples , just pump more to maintain ss. Every 3 hrly shld be a gd timing for e nipples to rest. Hope ur wound is recovering.

Iso , a already 1 mth right? Gd that he is recovering well. And he is such a gd boy only wake up once. How to make my boy wake up only once? When was ur last feed n how much?

Re: latch when sleeping

I remember bx told me she sit down latch, that's what I do too but tiring leh. Mummies who latch at night, u all sit or lie down?

Re: tandem pump
reena thanks for sharing else I also dunno how but I think I dun have skills to do it. Btw ur ss very gd leh.

Re: buffet
bx u ordered four seasons. How was e food?

Re: cakes
Bkkgal same as iso I was quite surprised that e blogger was so forthright .

Genice,
yup, in front of fil. Haha... Now staying together so no shy already.

Four seasons not bad. Plus it is halal as I have Muslim guests.

Iso,
not sure is it easy to increase ss after 1 mth. Anyone can advise? Mine did increase after 1 mth. But slight increase.

Re: tandem pump
tried twice but realized that my baby still nurse on both sides, so dun dare to pump out while he is feeding. I pump abit then stopped. I think I better pump when he finish feeding.

genice
from 6 to midnight he can drink q often, sometimes even 1.5 hrs! so i think he is full enough to sleep thru.

genice, bx
do you know how much your bbs are drinking now on average?

diana
hmm i'm really not sure leh. last time when i borrowed my SIL's 7 yr old PIS, it hurt like he**, i think it was just FAR too old already! but i think different pumps are also a bit different, maybe u can borrow another one to try and see if still v painful?

anyone use a avent manual pump? i had one from last time, and recently tried to use but after a short while like nothing was happening, and the suction doesn't feel v strong. wonder if i need new parts. last time i didn't use it for very long or very much.

Genice: my boy wakie every hr in the nite!!! Me n my hubby are walking zombies already....

I wanted to pump longer so can hv more milk but its the pain that i cant take it. I wanted to stretch the interval between each express session but then my boobs will be as hard as stone!!!

My wound will take quite awhile more to heal. Now everyday got to do dressing. Just need to be careful n keep it clean no bending no carry of heavy stuff...

diana,
Check your latch. If bb is not latching correctly, it's easy to get sore nipples. Also, when you are using the pump, check the position of your pump as it could be in a wrong position resulting in some friction, thus causing the soreness. You may try applying some ebm onto the sore nipple, it helps too.

iso,
For my case, my supply still increase after bb turned 1 month old. During DS2's time, before I started tandem pumping, when he latches one side, I collect the drippings on the other side, can collect abt 40ml milk. I expressed and ave milk yield was about 180ml. So when I went back to work after maternity, I didn't expect to get so much emb and had to go shopping during lunch to get more bottles. For my case, tandem pumping and drinking fluids help, no need supplements or whatsoever.

latch when sleeping
With DD1, I didn't learn how to latch lying down so I sit up to feed, very tiring. I only learnt how to nurse lying down when I had DS2, it was a breeze and I can have my good night sleep too.

genice,
See these pics on football hold. It's really easy once you get a hang of it. I struggled initially but overcame it. I'm sure you can do it too.

http://pregnancy.about.com/od/breastfeedinginfo/ss/breastpositions_3.htm

http://kidshealth.org/parent/pregnancy_newborn/feeding/nursing_positions.html#

Like I've explained, I drank lots of water then and I attribute my good supply to that. Cos when I was pumping for DD1, I was like a camel, no need to drink water as I don't feel thirsty at all. But with DS2 and DD3, I get thirsty very easily.

bx,
Next time you can sling your bb and nurse him inside, no need to find nursing room. Can sling, nurse and even go shopping/makan.

Back