(2007/12) Dec 2007 MTB

actually there's a calculation on the milk supply.
1st day
60ml/kg of bb's wt divide the no. of feeds
3rd day
100ml per kg of of bb's wt

4~7th day
Increase the supply by 20ml per kg of bb's body wt per day

hi, when the breast is engorged, what do you do? i tried hot compressed, then massage. i tried several times on this and then pump, still droplets. how long should i let it pump till i can get some milk?

pretty,
dink u still gotto try n latch her on s it stimulate ur milk production... have u tried cooking the papaya soup wif fish bone... it does helps... m not sure about the medela swing... m using medela advance PIS (they have the stimulation phase)... able to pump out about 150mls each time... for me, my ger doze off during latching... so, i pump my milk out for to feed her s m able to monitor her intake 2...
s for ur engorgement, try putting a warm towel on ur breast n massage it prior to feeding... try not to b too stress up...

anyone has any idea how much milk does a bb requires? my ger drink about 400mls per day... issit enulf? she is about 3.4kg.. today is her 10th day to the world... when do we start increasing her milk intake?

jeelomeelo/Hazel,

Think my itch/pain was due to the stitches. HB took me to gynae yesterday and gynae removed my stitches. After that, not so painful anymore. Do you know how long we will bleed for?

Itchiness is still there on chest especially, quite irritating. Think might be because of the breast pads or the heat. Do you have that?

Hazel,
I'm also doing own confinement. HB took a month off (thank god he has alot of accummulated leave) and took care of all the household work and help changed the baby. I tried to help him but only limited. Mom helped with the confinement food which HB collects everyday.

Yeah me too also taking daily showers. Tried the herbal bath but feel too uncomfortable and sticky after since feeling so heaty. After the 1st week, cannot tahan the oiliness on my hair, so went to wash my hair, trying to keep to one wash a week. Of course, not telling my sister or mother otherwise they will nag alot. :p

Baby crying for milk now, will go feed her.

calG,
tot the stitches will dissolved?
my gynae chk on my stitches yesterday..said its healing well.

My hb has to go to work next wk..N I will be on my own...which I dun mind...
Actually I washed my hair everyday after my discharged...twice a day.
cos my ILs clsed most of my window saying bb will catch a cold. So I tend to perspire alot.
No matter what, I must shower twice/day.

Hazel,
Thats what my gynae told me when i was in the hospital but when i visited him yesterday and told him its painful, he checked and said my tear is healing well, then he cut the stitches and removed it to make me feel more comfortable.

I'm doing one shower a day in morning and cleaning myself with warm towel at night. But recently been taking night shower to freshen up. Guess we just have to make it a quick shower in order not to catch a cold.

I don't clean my baby's tongue. Are we supposed to do that? I think it should be fine without doing it right?

So when your hb goes back to work, who is going to get lunch for you?

Time seems to fly by so quickly!

Getting depress... my milk supply seems to be decreasing. Now, only able to pump out 100ml per breast, sometimes left breast can go up to only abt 120ml. I pumped 3 times a day, once in morning, once in afternoon and once before going to bed. BB is drinking abt 100ml every 2-3hrs. HB is always feeding her wz FM cos he wants her jaundice to drop below 100 so that we need not return to the polyclinic. He feels heartache whenever sees the nurse poked n squeezed her tiny little feet for blood.

What is the best way to store BM? How do you warm BM before giving to bb? When going out, how to bring BM along & heat up for feed?

hen,

I store the breast milk in the glass bottles which KKH gave me and warm it up using the Pigeon food warmer..

As for going out, I normally will give him formula cos more convenient..

I think rest is really important to generate breastmilk too...Thats wat I read in the book..

pretty,
If your child is hungry, suckle no milk come out, then they will automatically de-latch and SCREAM! For my case, if son suckle no milk come out, he will like suckle till very pek chek. I will laugh whenever he do that, cos like mommy no milk mah, no choice. My massuer used warm hot stone wrap with a tiny towel to compress. Was quite painful cos then got bloated ducts, the auntie compressed felt like a hard hard lumps being pushed. Sure will unclog one.

hen,
Hahaha... me too! Decreasing milk supply... but last 2 days drinking papaya fish soup again and saw an increase and bigger flow of supply. So maybe you better drink more papaya fish soup too. I was also taking the Goat's Rue for increase of milk supply dunno that helps or not. Think it is the fish soup that helps lah but still will continue taking the supplememt. Cos milk supply is not very high, I bought Medela milk bottles to store bm. Now his intake is 120ml, I will store and measure each bottle to 120ml full so that my CL can have easier job. Usually, I bring out the bm and pour it into the bfree bottle. Bring out a glass cup and pour in hot water(thermoflask), place the bfree bottle into the cup of hot water. This is what TMC is doing too. Though I got the Avent food warmer, dunno why for #2 I am not using the sterilizer and warmer anymore. Think very troublesome. Hahaha... I use traditional way, boil them in a cooking pot. =P
Buy a good thermoflask. I bought one good one when I brought my #1 to Japan(winter). It is really good and can keep the water at a high temp. Think when outdoor, bring a cup and thermoflask to heat up BM.

Hi pretty
hang in there. I was going thru' same problem with BF my girl. When she was 6 days old, I asked my gynae how to increase my breastmilk flow. She said to latch on directly as much as possible, that using machines doesn't increase the flow.

Also put into practice all the advice about massaging your breasts, having a hot drink and putting a hot towel to the breasts before each feed. They really do help.

My girl's BF progress from birth:
1st day - 3rd day: direct latch on. Only colostrum produced.
3rd day back home: kept up direct latch on every few hours. Very little & diluted milk produced. Baby kept crying. CL, MIL suggested supplementing with FM.
4th day: CL, MIL and my own mum suggested supplementing with FM. My mum even got TMC nurse to call me up to supplement with FM! Gave in, allowed CL to give baby 2 FM nite feeds. Finally got more than 6 hours nite sleep since delivery.
5th day: Direct latch on all day & nite except for one FM nite feed by CL. Allowed me to catch up on my sleep.
6th day: Direct latch on all day & nite except for one FM afternoon feed.
Subsequently direct latch on till today, 8th day

Think my girl has enough milk now cos she can tahan 1.5 hr – 2.5 hr between feeds. Still observing. Also my breasts today feel swollen (sign of engorgement? yippee! But ow too….)

Try to create peaceful environment for yourself. I had to ask MIL and my mum to give me space. They took turns staying overnite at my home, and were non-stop in giving advice, especially my own mum. My post-natal blues (and crying) disappeared almost immediately when they didn't drop by my home after 6th day. Now I feel very relaxed when BF my girl.

Diet-wise, my CL has been giving me LOTS of fish to eat. Have also been drinking lots of fluids like the fish papaya soup, + longan red date tea.

Also, babycare book from PD advised that newborns drink from 30ml-90ml per feed every 2-5 hrs, so don’t discouraged if you feel your baby is drinking too little. Most likely you’ll just have to feed her more often ;p

Hope above helps!

hen,
my method is the same as Jean.
if going out, will bring a thermal bottle with the formula milk powder...

slimz,
my mother & MIL also ask me to use the wet towel to clean the tongue...but till now I havent try this method. I scared I will choke him

calG,
I ve lunch catering...so its ok.
think I m a person who doesnt seem to be doing confinement...cos its like everyday gt visitors...
so I ve been walkig here N there...
then also on the fan to blow direct at me...

Hi Pretty,

Dun fret, dun be disheartened.. milk flow for 1st week is usually low, give yourself some time. I wanted to totsl BF for my baby too but I know I cant rush it. So I am substituting FM for him at night.

I try to BF him during the day, abt every 2-3hr, each feed lasting from 45mins to 1.5hr. I will alternate between each breast for 15-20mins. My boy is able to sleep after that so I reckon my milk supply is slowly meeting his demand. Most importantly, regulate your feeding, express out even if your baby cant latch on, have sufficient rest and drink plenty of fluid (longan red date, papaya soup with fish head, milo, annum milk etc)

For breast engorgement, what I do is massage in circular motion and express them out, its painful but gotta bear with it lor. At hospital, the nurse gave me cold cabbage to apply, it does help abit in relieving the pain.

Be patient and happy BF
happy.gif

Hi missylan, ankh, and cocangel, thanks for the advice. i dont know why i am so depressed. yesterday cried to HB about how useless i am. i tried to let her latch on, but she doesnt seems want to have it becos no milk and breasts are so engorged whenever she needs it. i can only do hot compress when she is sleeping. then i tried to pump, still nothing. and by the next feed, my breasts are again engorged like shit.

i told my HB that i wanted to give up BF cos i have sore nipples and it's bleeding due to pumping. but deep down i know i wont give up. btw, may i know how to heal the sore nipple. my right side is very sore and bleeds. i put on some nipple cream though. still sore. and when can i start to pump/offer this breast?

so far, here's the situation:

1-3rd day - total BF at hospital
3rd day MN - total FM
4th day - total FM, only managed to give one latch in the morning
today - managed to give her one latch at 5am for 5mins. topup with FM.

sigh, i wont give up. i will continue with hot compress, fenugreek intake, annum breastmilk powder and papaya fish soup today.

Hi Pretty,

You wake up so early ah... have a rest when baby sleeps wor.. their body is a clock, waking up at the exact time for milk
happy.gif

Hi Mummies,

Can I ask you one question abt storing expressed milk? When I BF, I will expressed milk at the other breast too, using an Avent manual pump. But I dun store them in fridge straight away, will only do that after I finish feeding him which will might be 1-2hr later. Will the milk be contaminated? I do put the lid on after each pump, hopefully its ok.

Can any of you pls advice? Thanks in advance!!

Hi mummies
I have delivered my bb boy via C-section w. GA on 18th Dec in Mt A.
BB's wt is 2.805kg, length is 50cm.
Pls help me update. Thanks
Both of us are discharged yesterday and rite now I am "moo-ing" at home, trying to build up BM supply.
But as usual, i think gotta supplement with FM for at least this week, cos not enuff for bb yet.
Other bfing mummies out there, dun be too upset if you r supplementing with FM now, cos it is still too early for our supply to be established. I was actually quite upset and reluctant during my past 2 confinements when i had to open the can of FM due to insufficient supply during first week. Surprisingly, this time round, i actually "laughingly" tell my CL to feed bb with FM partially cos sure not enuff milk during 1st week.
happy.gif

Hi amy
I just realised our bb's wt and length are the same.
happy.gif

btw, BBnGG has also delivered at MAH on 18th Dec.

Hi cocoangel
I think so long as your bb saliva has not touched the BM and you did not leave it in normal temp for more than 2hrs, shld be okie. But i think to play safe, better to store it directly after expressing.

Hi missylan and other mummies
when did you gals start taking Fenugreek supplement? I had one bottle left over from last delivery, but dunno whether is it too early to take?? I only started in my 3rd month of bfeeding last time.

went to poke for jaundice test again. reading dropped from 15 to 13.6. This whole week we didn't get to sun him enough. but i do feel relief as jaundice level went down. i think i still need to wake him up every 2hr to feed to ensure he's hydrated. PD also ask me to send for another prick next friday to ensure it's going down...

speaking of space, i got my CL and my mum nagging me to take chinese herbs. i refuse DOM infused soup coz my PD told me that it's better not to take it for now. my mum even suggested for chinese herbs for baby to take. uggghhhh!

thanks sassy for sharing the bill size...in case i have to go thru c-sect
sad.gif
coz now 5 days left to EDD still no signs then i heard many say if get induced but nt going well might end up with c-sect...

btw,reading about BF here..nw i'm starting to get worried coz i'm nt prepared at all.no breast pump or milk bags yet...thought i want to see how it goes first after delivery.

does hospital rent out pumps? and are milk bags necessary? was thinking to store milk in bottles (the kind that can be attached to breast pumps directly)...what's the difference between using these bottles and milk bags to store milk?

can anyone recommend which breast pump i shld consider getting? i'm thinking between medela swing and ameda lactaline...which one is better?
but i've bought avent bottles already...anyone knows whether these breast pumps can be used with avent bottles directly?

Slimz,

I also clean his tongue everyday, towel must be the old-fashioned checkered type..It cleans better...dun worry of choking him, initially i also scare but now ok liao..
happy.gif

cocoangel,

I always discard the leftover milk after BB'f feed cos I think it's contaminated already. Breast milk can be left standing for 4 hrs at room temperature (25 degrees).

Pretty,

Dun be depressed cos it will affect your milk supply too..WHy dun you try pumping out before your breast are engorged? For me, once I notice there's a decrease in supply, I will still pump every 3 hours even if they are not engorge. Try to massage your breasts horizontakly and vertically before pumping.Sometimes its due to blocked milk ducts. For my case, after my discharge, breast flow also very little, so must twist real hard (C and U method- the lactation consultant at KKH teaches me) at the nipple and u can start to hear and feel like bubbles bursting, then the milk flow starts to come in..Its real painful though but gotta bear with it...

dinut,

I dunno abt medela with avent bottles, but my medela pumps fits perfectly to pigeon breast milk storage bottles and the glass bottles that hospital provides me. So normally I pumped directly into these bottles for storage.

I am using the medela electric plus now..Thinks its doing a gd job except that the motor is a bit noisy..Best is to get twin pump cos everytime u start pumping one side, the other side will start to leak. SO best to pump both sides together.

I have some milk bags, but I still did not use yet cos I think milk bags are better for freezing due to its bigger capacity. I dun mix breast milk which I pump out at different hours together cos there's a risk of contamination (That's wat the nurses told me)

milking cow,

Did u sterilise the "tube with the termal sensor" together with the bfree bottle, or just the bottle alone? When feeding BB, the tube must be attached too rite?? Cos i scare wait the purple liquid will leak into milk..hehhe

cocoangel,
It is said that bm can be placed at a room temp for 4 hours BUT I don't quite like the idea lor. I will pump and straightaway to the fridge if he is really going to drink even within 1 hour, I will warm it up.

Constance,
1158137.gif

From your past pregnancies, do you experience good milk supply? I believe you can start now cos fenugreek/goat's rue are a supplement not medication so effect don't happen overnight. =)

Jeelomeelo,
Hmm... I don't understand why there is a need to keep poking him? You know if really above 10 just admit him for the photo therapy. It might be just 1 day for your child's case. Keep poking to see whether jaundice decreases or not, see liao heart very pain also. My son was poked on his last day at TMC(7.3), another 3 days later for review(18), 1st day when admitted for phototherapy(13) and last day of phototherapy(8). Aiyoh, the tiny sole got plaster...

Jean,
I sterilise and feed bb with all of bfree parts. No lah, the purple thing with not melt into milk or boiling water. I am using bfree bottle more than 1 year so far none of your worries happen to me leh. =)

dinut,
Medela pump is noisier than Ameda's. I used Medela's single eletric and now Ameda Lactaline. Medela got a filtering white thingy too but never I saw residue but I saw residue on Ameda's valve. Meaning Ameda provides cleaner milk. =) Don't buy those milkbag/accessories first cos you will never know how high is your milk supply, will you success in bf etc. When you buy the pump, they will have milk bottles. Try pumping from their milk bottles then pour them inside yr Avent milk bottles. This way can save some money.

hi Jean,
Want to ask you if yr medela plus will auto adjust the speed?
mine will...I always start with speed 1 then as I pump, the speed will slowly increases to the max automatically.

hi girls
happy.gif
how is belle?
happy.gif
me hit 38 weeks now... only BH contractions.. sigh... how to bring on labour? will go for daily walk now
happy.gif

Deerdeer,
I'm also impatiently awaiting labour signs.. Haiz, 4 days to EDD and still not signs.. tummy still riding high and still suffering from heartburns...

Now thinking that I may be falling sick, a bit of sore throat and runny nose...

ladies, it's been a tough 3 weeks for me. my girl is born wif neo natal lupus. not the real lupus but she's born with some rash like blemishes on her face. i was so upset... been a miracle that i've not fallen into depression with all the mental and physical stress. went to see a paediatric dermatologist and he said the redness and blemish will go off in a few months. i am so stressed up.

for tbf, i made the mistake of introducing bottle at night since week2. now she seems to have a little bit of nipple confusion cos she's sucking lightly sometimes. called the nurse at mt A and she said to take the bottle off for now. i hope this works...

Hi missylan
for my past 2, milk supply will only be sufficient after 1st wk, and by end 3rd week, i will have some excess to store in fridge. Reason why i started fenugreek so late last time was cos i didn't know about this supplement till 3 months after bfeeding my no 2.
happy.gif

Constance,
Fenugreek works for you? Or you think it might be because of 3rd week liao, supply coming liao. I don't think Goat's Rue works for me, think its the papaya fish soup.

tub,
PD said will go off, isn't it a good news? Luckily, it isn't the lupus! As for my both kiddo, I switched btw bottle and latch on alternately. So far they have no confusion problem. Like this feed is bottle another feed is latch on, not enough no choice give him FM.

thanks jean and missylan...
so if i want to keep my BM in fridge,the bottle that come with the pump will be sufficient?

btw anyone knows what's the difference between ameda purely yours and lactaline?

hi phy,
looks like we're in the same boat...i'm also left with 5 days to my EDD and no signs at all.
it's very hard to stay patient as it's getting very uncomfortable everyday.
my gynae is very cool about the whole thing though,keep telling me to wait...seems to be very pro natural birth.

phy- ya lor.. so sian right? already so tired. you also still working?
my hubby so bad.. he say we should lift weight and go jogging
happy.gif
so baby drop down more hahahah.

dinut,
Purely yours is from USA... everything same just that charger voltage is different. Better get from Singapore cos I did my research, get from USA ard same price as local. Maybe more x also, cos you will need to buy an additional 220V charger.

Congrats to all mummies that have given birth. I guess I am the last few that has not given birth. Due in 10 days....hahaha! Still long way to go. But really hope that baby can come the next few days so my husband can take leave.

I still feel very energetic so I think baby might be comfortable inside and not want to come out. Are there any signs to indicate impending labour even before contractions start? Can you go into labour even when baby is not engaged? My gynae says that baby is on its way to being engaged. Maybe she said that to comfort me. Hahaha

For mummies whose babies are delivered by DR. WK Tan, does she allow the husband to be in the delivery suite the whole time?

my bb also kena poked every few days to check the jaundice level leh. then have been avoiding ginger n alcohol. But kenna nagged by dunno how many ppl liao. So fed up! Wanna wash my hair also like a sin like tt. I feel so restrained. Cant stand it. Cant stand all the nags. Now what I do is I ask CL to cook ginger at nite.. then the milk tt I express out.. I'll freeze it. Wait till bb jaundice ok then I use loh. Then b4 sleep I drink the dang gui with DOM.. Then zzz till 7-9 hrs later the express my milk out for bb. Shd be safe enough ba? Dun want his jaundice to go up again.
sad.gif

Hate confinement!!! Cant wait for it to be over soon!

Still waiting for my #$@#$ milk bag to come. Almost got no space to store my BM liao. HOW?? For those with little BM, dun be stressed. Sometimes, the more u want it, the more stressed u are n the milk wont come. For me, I always bo chap.. n and get plenty of rest. Maybe tt's y got milk. I din eat the fernegeek or papaya soup also. When pumping, I notice that sometimes, it take a while for the milk to let down. Dun look at the pump, watch tv or look at ur bb when pumping.. then will let down liao. hehe.

bluelily,
Maybe your MIL/mom wants you to have very strict confinement. Mine kelong one. I washed my hair every alternate days, go movie, go out at night etc, later going to bring my#1 to beach. Think next time I old, die aah...

To those who havent give birth, jia you! Tell u a funny thing, thing my bb come out so early all because of kfc buddy meal. I had the buddy meal 1 wk be i gave birth. Then tt nite, I got diarrhoea. 1 nite go poo think ard 4 times. Then stomach so pain.. will pooing, I can feel bb moving downwards. Then after the diarrhoea episode, I got the severe groin pain for a wk. Guess that's when bb got engaged. After tt.. I pop liao. hahaha! Now hb see the buddy meal advert always laugh at me. U shd go try it! (Just kidding) :p

Wah! missy u win!! Envy envy! The only time I step out of the house is when I bring bb go polyclinic! But anyway, I so stinky n sticky n ugly.. I also dun feel like going out! Got no clothes to wear liao ah.. Cant fit into my old clothes. Fatty bom bom..
sad.gif
I only bath everyday with the herbs, then yest 3 days din wash hair... wanna wash also make me feel so guilty. Cos yest raining heavily. But in the end I still wash. hehe. But v sianz loh.. bath within few hrs.. all hot n sweaty again. Grrr...

miorei ya! Super bored! Think I'll go crazy soon.Still got 2 more wks. N hor.. my mama, CL, grandma, aunty all ask me to walk less. Nothing to do just lie in bed. Oh gosh! I'm becoming a vegetable soon!

yeah missylan, thank goodness doc said will go away. just tat when i first saw her, i was so "gek xim". i cried and cried. cos other people's bbies all have nice skin. as for breastfeeding, i think nipple confusion is "heng suay" one. some bbies have tat, some dun.

as for bathing, i think hygiene is the most important, esp if we are latching on directly. there is no medical/scientific proof that we will suffer if we bath. i think this cannot bath myth is passed down from the past when the water then was dirty. so people are afraid of being infected. just as long as we dun catch a cold, i think it's fine.

tub, hai.. I also believe in hygiene. The thing is gotta take all the nags from everyone. Sianz. Luckily I doing confinemet at my own home. I just bath when no one's at home. CL just say abit.. dun dare to nag me. :p Ur bb got wat rashes? Mine bb these few days also developed rashes like pimples all over his face. Bringing him to see doc tmr or Mon.. at the same time check his jaundice. Hai.. got a bb v worrisome. Did the doc give u any med to apply on bb's face? My bb also got white spots on his nose since birth. Everyone says it's go away eventually. Dun worry k?

Wow missylan
your confinement so relaxed one.
My CL let me bath every day with the herbs, but wash hair is a NO NO until one month later. Sob sob.

I think you misunderstood me. I meant i only took fenugreek last time when my no 2 was 3 mths old, cos wanted to store more excess. nothing to do with 3rd week milk supply coming in....
happy.gif

Did any of you mummies opt for the metabolic blood screening test for your newborn in the hospital?? I opted for it, but just realised i dunno how much is it.
sad.gif

Back