问题WTA - expectations of infantcare

coccobacillus

I have been placing my 4 mth old in infantcare for almost 2 months now. I feel that the teachers are not attentive and the centre has compromised on caring for the kids there.

E.g last week I found out it was noted that my kid drank 3 milks in school but I found only 2 portions of formula from the dispenser used. I raised the query and challenged the teacher either he was fed someone else's milk (scary cos he's the only stage 1, non-bm fed baby there) or they didn't feed him (he went 6 hours without milk??)

Today, I sent him to school and the children were gathered near the entrance. One of them picked up the door stopper and chewed on it. I stopped him - twice. And informed the oblivious teachers.

Is this normal for infantcare? Am I expecting too much? or should I look for another school?

Hi, may i ask which infant care did you put your baby in? I'm going to put my baby in infant care too and if these things happen to me, i will definitely pull him out. To me, its quite unacceptable..afterall, we did pay quite a huge amount for infant care.

Because the teachers there are new? They are overwhelmed by the children at the gate and also talking to parents at the same time? Childcare teachers are the most underpaid ppl in the educational industry I'd say.

Personally I'm not comfortable with infant care, my analogy is simple, if my highly experienced nannies cannot even be confident with juggling 5 infant babies at the same time, I don't see how a young but trained teacher could, maybe on a good day she could, where most of the babies are very tired sleeping thru out their stay at the centre.

Even my wife who's in the childcare profession for the past decade couldn't agree to our local infant care, 1:5 is too high, just imagine, 2 babies crying non stop and another baby's at the point of hazard, even if you have some plans properly organized for execution, it could all end up in a mess. Unless the ratio comes down to 1:3 like the Australian infant care standard. But that would also mean higher cost for parents.

I am planning to send my 7 mths bb to infant care start from Jan'13. After read the comments above, i need to think and re-consider.. haiz..

Hi blue sugar. Kinda jus saw ur msg cos I think the forum notification for updates has a problem. My kid is at one of those government chain centres and this branch just opened in 2012 and what I liked was the comfort of new facilities. Now I'm just closing 1 eye. As my kid is bigger, I think he can fend for himself (i hope!)

Dear everyone else, thanks for looking at the comments. It is a really tough decision to carry on with the centre but as a working mom, there are limited choices when we have limited help. And indeed these teachers are not the most well paid and faced with babies, crawlers and walkers all at the same time can be insane. However, they did take my feedback and reminded the teachers to be careful about charting the feeds.

thanks BabyG
happy.gif

Yes, i do agreed its a tough decision to put our babies in infant care but as a working mmom, sometimes we really have no choice. Of course, we want the best for our babies but how many of us could really afford to quit our job and be a SAHM?

Hi All, have anyone suggested or proposed to the child care centers, especially infant care centers to install and provide realtime CCTV monitoring facilities to the subscribed parents? I believe parents will be more than willing to top up for the additional subscription costs.

My daughter Hv been in infant care centre since she was 3 months and luckily the teacher there is gd and take care of her,she enjoy the time there . 9month already

I placed my baby in IFC when he is 3 months old. The teachers, principal are great. But after he keeps falling sick, I am very heart pain and tired. I also feel sad see that he does not have enough sleep in IFC. I supposed babies must get use to the noise and be able to sleep through cos one baby cries, he will wake up. But the good thing that came out of it was he is a very sociable baby who is ok with everyone and this is very useful when I switch to nanny. I had a very hard time looking for a good nanny!

YEs mummies. I think working mummies like us no choice only can rely on affordable IFC or babysitter.

But we must manage our expectations be it ifc or nanny. Now my bb settled well with nanny. She is a kind gentle lady and cooks porridge for him. I can see my baby has a good rest everytime i fetch him.

After both ifc and nanny experience, i just wish ifc can be less sick babies, more attentive care and you are rite, no aircon!

Back