How to potty train a kid?

karen_sg

hi,

I am 1st time mummy but I don't know how to potty train my kid. Could share with me how to start to train? What would I need to expect? When (what age?)should I start to train? Take how long so that kid can give up diapers?

Hope all the mummy can share with me ur precious experience. Thanks!

Hi

I;m keen to know too
happy.gif
Me also first time mum

I started training mine when she's 2.5year old. Its a difficult process. Tried a lot of method that people always say eg. bring her to potty every now and then, use encouragement, wipe her pee from the floor to make her 'guilty' etc etc. None worked. Many a times, I can't control my temper and scold etc.
Finally, concluded that if she's willing to buy your idea, she can do it very fast, otherwise, no matter how many times you make her sit in the potty, also no use.

My mil looked after my son since I given birth to him.

She started bringing my son to urine at basin when he was only 5 mths old. This continue for a period of about 4 mths.

My son stopped wearing diapers completely when he was about 10 mths old. At that time, he was still in learn to walk stage. He pointed his private part to us that whenever he needs to use potty.

hi Jess,

Is ur mil bring him to basin everyday and same time? what is the time interval?

u means ur son stop wearing diapers (day/nite) since 10 month, that's good!!!
happy.gif
Did he do same way when u are going out? he got wear diapers when u all go out shopping? sorry ask so many questions....

maybe i was too late to train him.

Hi Karen,

I follow my mil's method to bring my son to basin everyday even when I brought my son home. The interval was every hour, especially about 20 mins after each feeding. Determination is a must though.

When going out shopping, he was still with diapers. However in order not to "spoil" him, we stick to bringing him go basin as n when convenience.

This method was extended to my 2nd son and we are very satisfied with the overall savings on diapers in the long run.

Better be late than never. You will not regret begin training him now.

Hi,

My girl is about 18 mth and she's not potty trained yet. How to bring her to the basin and urinate, isn't it very unhygienic and may give her a wrong impression that she can urinate there?

My son urinate at basin because he was only 5 months old. We switched him to a potty when he could already sit steadily.

Hi,

I noticed that my boy will squat when he is peeing and pooing, if i want to toilet train him for peeing, do I let him stand or let him squat?

hmm... to me quite difficult to train my boy in stand position.. he will keep walk here n there. my boy will stand and pee only when he is bathing...
happy.gif

So now, i train him sit on potty n pee & poo. hope will not give him wrong info...
sad.gif

give him sometime, tell him tat he must pee into toilet bowl instead of walking here n there n dirty the floor.. may oso use the soft approach that he will result u cleaning the floor bcos of his "misact".

Kids will listen to their mummy.

Jess,

When ur kids take a nap, u also didn't let them wear diapers? I still let my son wear cloth diaper at least will not wet the bed. normally he will take a nap ard 1-2hr. sometimes it will have a lot of pee. I had tried to let him pee b4 and after nap. What do u think?

Karen,

Yes, my son wore cloth diaper while he was younger and stopped all types of diapers when he was about 10 months old.

We used to put a plastic mat below the bedsheet so that the mattress does not stink or stain in case they urinate while sleeping/napping.

Sure good to train him to pee b4 and after nap.

if a child is already toile-trained...how to clean his poopoo? does he just tilt up his buttock and u clear the poo or u lie him on bed to clear?

hi all

i have been trying to potty train my 3 yr old. she 's really stubborn, she can go diaperless but refused to peepee in the potty/toiletbowl. she can sit there...but nothing comes out...

i think she secretly pee when she baths! or when she wears diapers when taking nap/overnight.

any advise?

I have the same problem with my 20 mth old son.

He can signal me if he want to pee/poop, and then we will go sit on the potty. But he never manages to pee into the potty. Sometimes we even wait up to 30 mins for the pee to come out.

Then usually after we give up and say we try later, 10 mins later he will pee on the floor and get so upset that he never manage to do it in potty.

I also dunno what to do lah.

hi all,

facing the same problem with all the mummies here.

My 20-mth-old boy also refused to sit on the potty for pee or poo. He keep giving us false alarm as he always says "poo poo", but end up nothing come out.

Yesterday was even worse. When he was bathing in the bathtub, could see that he's trying to poo as his whole face was very tense. So quickly pulled him out of the bathtub and put him on the potty, but he refused and cried. Thinking it may be another false alarm again, so put him back into the bathtub again to stop his crying. He still tried to "gek sai" in the bathtub and sensing something was not right, immediately pulled him out again. But it was too late. He already poo in the bathtub
sad.gif

hey there..

my kid can now pee in the potty/toiet bowl. thanks to the nursery she has attended. her teacher asked us to let her go diaperless this mth. and witin a week, she knwo how to pee! muz be the peer pressure that makes her learn so fast. imagine we could not suceed for the past few weeks when we tried ourself.

the problem now is , she cannot poo in the potty/toilet bowl. she tried to sit there, but nothing comes out...any advise??

My boy 3 yr old and still not toilet trained/wearing diapers. We r regularly bringing him to potty to pee, but sometimes he kick up a big fuss and refuse to go. Teachers say have to gradually train him. Any tips?

Hi meihui,

For night training, try to give your child the last milk feed earlier and clear his/her bladder before sleeping time. I used to wake my kids up twice during the night to go wee wee. How long it takes to train depends on the child. It took me longer to train my elder daughter, about 4 - 5 mths and it took me only about 1 mth to train my younger one. In fact, my younger child goes diaper free at night earlier her elder sister, at around 3yo.

Overtime, your child will learn to hold their bladder. Initially, my kids will wet their pyjamas a little before they wake up to wee wee. Overtime, they know how to wake up to wee wee when they need to. Now, both my kids can sleep thro' with the need to even wake up in the middle of the night to go to the washroom.

Alot of patiemce and waking up at night needed
sad.gif
a process that must be endured no matter how tiring. Savings on diapers can be tremendous!

I found this video quite helpful for potty training my boy
http://2b24b-ke71olydtku3wizo2w31.hop.*********.net/?tid=1717171717

many helpful little tips you can use!

Signs of Potty Training . Your child can stay dry for a period of at least 2 hours during the day and/or you child wakes up dry from his nap. Your child is beginning to show interest in the potty or imitate the behavior of older siblings or adults when in the bathroom.Your child is showing discomfort or awareness of a wet or soiled diaper. Your child is able to pull her pants up and down without much assistance. your child is able to follow simple one-step directions. Your child can communicate with words, signs or gestures that she needs to use the bathroom .To know more anyone can visit this site and the link is www.pottytrainingapp.com .

Hi, these are few of my suggestions that you can try.

Let him watch and learn,
Buy the right equipment
Help your child get comfortable with the potty
Motivate with cool underwear
Set up a training schedule
Teach him to sit first, then stand

If you want more information check this out. I have used it on my son and have yield amazing results! :) cheers!

Oh what's cool underwear Sarah?
Every time manage to train and then we go holiday, the routines all gone and we have to restart all over again... sian...

That means a cute cute underwear to reward him, so he will want to wear the underwear more than a diapers haha tell him that he has to know how to go toilet by himself so he can wear his cool underwear! ohh because you let him wear the diapers during the holiday? Teach him how to tell you when he needs to pee or poo by making sounds like pee pee or poo poo then even if he wear diapers bring him to the toilet! There is this article that is very informative you can check it out regarding potty training! Cheers!

Good afternoon,

We are from Little Angel's Closet.

You may wish to consider our training pants! Our items are from a Japanese Company and we had received good feedback from our customer since launched.

For more seasoned boys and girls who had been training for sometime, you may consider some training pants which look like skirts or pants when you go out with them so as not to overlay them with another pants after wearing the training pants!

http://www.littleangelscloset.com/store/c25/Training_Pants_&_Water_Proof_Undergarments.html

Feel free to take a look at the range of baby and children wear we offer. We also offer swim diapers too!
Hope to be of your service and have a pleasant day ahead!

http://www.littleangelscloset.com/

Regards,
Little Angel's Closet

Back