Year 2016 IVF Mummy To-Be

@Shinkirou i ended up din walk in to see THH today coz was called back to work. But a few of my frens also experienced AF like discharge 6 to 7 weeks post delivery. Their nursing schedule were not regular and their milk supply were low to start with. Maybe like what @towkayneo said earlier, breastmilk supply not high enough to "stop" AF?

Hi all, this is my first post in this thread. Did ivf at KKH under THH. Currently in my 9th week and just seen Dr Tan for my first prenatal consultation yesterday.
However as much as I like him for trying to sound cheerful and friendly despite his tight schedule, minimizing my waiting time by slipping out for consultation in between his procedures, this is afterall my first pregnancy and I would really prefer a more detailed gynae who can spend time walking us through the journey.
So I wonder if any of you have fixed a private gynae whom you will recommend, and I would also like to know if there could be any issue for us to engage a private gynae separately since it's an ivf case?

U can definitely go pte gynae but not all do ivf cases. If yours is high risk pregnancy is better to keep your file open in kkh. If not it does not matter to go to a pte gynae.

U can definitely go pte gynae but not all do ivf cases. If yours is high risk pregnancy is better to keep your file open in kkh. If not it does not matter to go to a pte gynae.

High risk = age above 35? Or with complications? I'm also worried about this.... So it's just safer to deliver at KKH?

Most of my friends recommended Cordlife but seems that mommies here have horror stories. My gynae works with stemcord. Luan now which to use.

Hi all, this is my first post in this thread. Did ivf at KKH under THH. Currently in my 9th week and just seen Dr Tan for my first prenatal consultation yesterday.
However as much as I like him for trying to sound cheerful and friendly despite his tight schedule, minimizing my waiting time by slipping out for consultation in between his procedures, this is afterall my first pregnancy and I would really prefer a more detailed gynae who can spend time walking us through the journey.
So I wonder if any of you have fixed a private gynae whom you will recommend, and I would also like to know if there could be any issue for us to engage a private gynae separately since it's an ivf case?

Hi, I also had similar concerns when I was choosing my obgyn for the pregnancy. I was worried that I couldn't contact Dr Tan in times of emergency cos unlike private gynaes, we do not have some personal emergency no. to call. I actually wanted to switch over to Dr Wendy Teo in Mt E Novena cos she's a very detailed and gentle doctor. Comparable to Dr Tan. But I stayed on becos I think other gynaes tend to treat ivf cases as high risk. N yes...some gynaes reject ivf cases which I find puzzling. I asked Dr Tan before if all ivf cases are high risk and he said no.

Some gynaes are more detailed, while some prefer not to share too much so as not to make us overly anxious. Cos I tend to worry a lot and get anxious over small things, Dr Tan's style suited me. Maybe cos he's more familiar with ivf pregnancies, he tends to be more "cool" about things. He wasn't that detailed compared to my friends' gynaes but that doesn't mean he overlook things.

Enjoy ur pregnancy and choose a gynae that u r comfortable with. That's v important. Cos there'll be lots of decisions to make along the way and u need to be able to trust ur gynae's judgement. Esp during delivery.

High risk = age above 35? Or with complications? I'm also worried about this.... So it's just safer to deliver at KKH?

No lah high risk as in multiple pregnancy or health issue etc. Even U go pte gynae u can still transfer to govt hospital to deliver just that your pte gynae cannot go deliver for U.

@Shinkirou i ended up din walk in to see THH today coz was called back to work. But a few of my frens also experienced AF like discharge 6 to 7 weeks post delivery. Their nursing schedule were not regular and their milk supply were low to start with. Maybe like what @towkayneo said earlier, breastmilk supply not high enough to "stop" AF?
My menses stopped and came back again few days later. Cycle really messed up. Ha. Yah..I am pumping every 6 hours (cos getting lazy) but supply isn't that low (about 300ml per pump). If it comes back again soon after stopping (that'll be 3 rounds within a month), I'll see my GP or try to get an appt to see him.

My menses stopped and came back again few days later. Cycle really messed up. Ha. Yah..I am pumping every 6 hours (cos getting lazy) but supply isn't that low (about 300ml per pump). If it comes back again soon after stopping (that'll be 3 rounds within a month), I'll see my GP or try to get an appt to see him.
Wa not bad ley! Every 6 hours pump. That time me about 3-4 hours, my neh neh was as hard as a rock and if you touch, milk would spurt

Hi, I also had similar concerns when I was choosing my obgyn for the pregnancy. I was worried that I couldn't contact Dr Tan in times of emergency cos unlike private gynaes, we do not have some personal emergency no. to call. I actually wanted to switch over to Dr Wendy Teo in Mt E Novena cos she's a very detailed and gentle doctor. Comparable to Dr Tan. But I stayed on becos I think other gynaes tend to treat ivf cases as high risk. N yes...some gynaes reject ivf cases which I find puzzling. I asked Dr Tan before if all ivf cases are high risk and he said no.

Some gynaes are more detailed, while some prefer not to share too much so as not to make us overly anxious. Cos I tend to worry a lot and get anxious over small things, Dr Tan's style suited me. Maybe cos he's more familiar with ivf pregnancies, he tends to be more "cool" about things. He wasn't that detailed compared to my friends' gynaes but that doesn't mean he overlook things.

Enjoy ur pregnancy and choose a gynae that u r comfortable with. That's v important. Cos there'll be lots of decisions to make along the way and u need to be able to trust ur gynae's judgement. Esp during delivery.
Ya! Delivery is the most critical time! You really somebody whom you have 100% confidence in to do the job else the muscles just simply refused to relax (could be psychological). Trust is very important cos if today (touchwood) have to go e c-sect ordered by THH, I would have accepted cos he's pro-natural. If it's other doc, I would have questioned him/her if it's necessary.

I hope some pte docs do not suggest csect just because they are IVF patients. It's just not ethical

Most of my friends recommended Cordlife but seems that mommies here have horror stories. My gynae works with stemcord. Luan now which to use.
do more research and go for the one you are most comfy with. What others say you can take as reference niahs

No issue with other private gynae. IVF is considered normal case once pregnant. I'm now seeing back my previous gynae for first 2 kids. He's A/Prof John Tee, also from KKH. (Dr Tan asked me to go back to him). So now I missed the handsome dr but he's really too busy.. Lol..

Me too confused. Don't know want cordlife, stemcord or don't put.
I donated both my kids' cord blood for various reasons.. Since I feel they might never use it, the usable blood may be little (5%), for genetic cases, they can't use back own cord blood cos it contains the same, sibling cord blood might not match, the lady who approached me for donation happened to be my good friend's mum etc.. and if they do need, I guess I would go back to SCBB and hopefully can find a match.. My hubby said it's also for a good cause.. And we went ahead. It's good to do your research, decide what you want to do, I'm not sure if gynae in KKH does (I'll check with my gynae next time), if you don't want to store or donate, can perhaps consider delayed clamping.

Hello, you must find a gynac that you feel that is good & you are 101% comfy with regardless how other mummy rave about his or her gynac.

Just remember that in any other hospital, if the doctor encounter any complication that they are not confident to handle, they will send you to KKH via ambulance. When it comes to complication, as the word complication suggest, it is complicated and therefore will cost a lot of $$$$$. If $$$$ is no endless, then can actually go anywhere around the world to get it fix, otherwise, the hospital that is most capable/equipped to handling child birth complication is KKH and if you opt for subsidy patient, the bill size will definitely be way lower as compare to private patient.

All the best.

I did not cos not prepared.....I asked the nurse to measure me when I settled in d the ward so my hubby can help me buy the right binder size instead....

Can get from kkh pharmacy. ..around $50++...den I asked the nurse to help me bind. ..n it really help to have a binder for c-sec

Dr Tan ordered d compression sock for me to wear although ....

Tks for sharing babe! Yeah my sis also told me the binder works wonder for csec. I have dale one from her & guess it shld fit mr else gota send my hubby to get from pharmarcy by then.

Omg now the thought of getting cut open makes me feel real scared now especially when I just done my preadmission papers...this is like getting real! :eek:

Hi mummy to be... need some advise. I hv done my oscar test in kkh n the result is low risk but when i went to my private ob yesterday n i saw him my oscar result he mentioned that as my due date is pass by 35 yrs old so oscar will not be the recommended test for me. I should hv done harmony test. My question is why didnt kkh mentioned it to me? N why dr tan order the oscar test for me? Does any mummy to be here over 35 yrs old n only done oscar test?

Actually I look at it as Oscars is like the 1st step (which i call it as the 1st line of defence) taken to check on the probability on the risk level first. If results is otherwise then gyne will recommend the next course of action. This could be harmony/panorama/amino fluid tests. I agree that no point asking the patients to jump straight into a 800-1k test first when maybe your Oscars probability ratio is like 1:32000 kind. But of coz it's your personal choice if u wan to check further to have a peace of mind.

Tks for sharing babe! Yeah my sis also told me the binder works wonder for csec. I have dale one from her & guess it shld fit mr else gota send my hubby to get from pharmarcy by then.

Omg now the thought of getting cut open makes me feel real scared now especially when I just done my preadmission papers...this is like getting real! :eek:

When are U due? Csect at week 37?

When are U due? Csect at week 37?

Csec date scheduled 2nd week of June. Will be 37+6. Of coz very much depends on my twinnies! Haha..my gyne even tell me their growth & weight are ok though I prefer they are fatter a bit. But he say better not too big else will go into preterm labour coz the womb is overstretch, they no space so come out!

Csec date scheduled 2nd week of June. Will be 37+6. Of coz very much depends on my twinnies! Haha..my gyne even tell me their growth & weight are ok though I prefer they are fatter a bit. But he say better not too big else will go into preterm labour coz the womb is overstretch, they no space so come out!

I so worried my tummy no space too. Gynae said Abit cramp inside le :-(
I asked them to stay n hold till June. Haha

I so worried my tummy no space too. Gynae said Abit cramp inside le :-(
I asked them to stay n hold till June. Haha

Ya just keep on talking to them & ask them to hang on!!! What are your babies weight now? U shld be also 32 weeks rite? Coz I rem we around same edd based on 40 weeks.

Dun mention babe...n yes the binder is a work magic..I cannot imagine w/o a binder how I gg to survive....

I know it is hard to not think about the process of c-sec but hey the surgery is gg to be over before u know it by the time. ..

The Joy and happiness of carrying ur bundle of Joy will make any fear disappear n u will be surprise tt u are actually stronger den u think ...

Jiayou ya!!!!

Haha ya man. I worried too small. Dr ask me eat more.

Me too! But my gyne says it's just nice & my hubby shares the same school of thought as him. Coz I told him my concern if the babies less than 2kg end up in nicu. But he says it's not becoz of the weight per se. Coz they're delivered before full term so not fully developed yet so gota monitor & not becoz of weight issue. Something along that line. So I think we must do a balancing game.

Me too! But my gyne says it's just nice & my hubby shares the same school of thought as him. Coz I told him my concern if the babies less than 2kg end up in nicu. But he says it's not becoz of the weight per se. Coz they're delivered before full term so not fully developed yet so gota monitor & not becoz of weight issue. Something along that line. So I think we must do a balancing game.

Ya I agree. Dr also said their weight ok 1.9 is good but 1.6 slightly small. cos i too skinny. I worried my body cannot carry their weight. Also I worried the scan for weight not so accurate so must give buffer haha.

Dun mention babe...n yes the binder is a work magic..I cannot imagine w/o a binder how I gg to survive....

I know it is hard to not think about the process of c-sec but hey the surgery is gg to be over before u know it by the time. ..

The Joy and happiness of carrying ur bundle of Joy will make any fear disappear n u will be surprise tt u are actually stronger den u think ...

Jiayou ya!!!!

Thanks babe! The thought of it now makes me shudder hahaha coz I refused to think or face it until now when the date is inching nearer. Maybe coz I've got a fren whom was sent to ICU for losing too much blood during ops & need blood transfusion!

Ya I agree. Dr also said their weight ok 1.9 is good but 1.6 slightly small. cos i too skinny. I worried my body cannot carry their weight. Also I worried the scan for weight not so accurate so must give buffer haha.

Ikr! I also want to give some buffer. Haha..I'm also on the petite side. Till now nobody believe I got 2 babies inside my studio apartment :D ....and needless to say, ppl & my mum commenting my bump is small lor

My baby is definitely small cos the pd actually sent him for ultrasound and scanning on his head cos his head cricum is 1.5cm smaller den his cohort...have to do a blood test for a certain virus (they suspect cmv virus )

I cried and cried when I know tt during my hospital stay Cos I goggle about the virus and it is all terrible stuffs...:(

Praise the Lord tt when result out is negative! Then today sent for jaundice test ..tested over the limit and admin to kkh for "shine light".... den I cried and cried again. ...:(

I know it is common for baby to get jaundice more for preemie but guess I have separation anxiety with my baby tt he have to stay on hospital alone...**sigh**

My baby is definitely small cos the pd actually sent him for ultrasound and scanning on his head cos his head cricum is 1.5cm smaller den his cohort...have to do a blood test for a certain virus (they suspect cmv virus )

I cried and cried when I know tt during my hospital stay Cos I goggle about the virus and it is all terrible stuffs...:(

Praise the Lord tt when result out is negative! Then today sent for jaundice test ..tested over the limit and admin to kkh for "shine light".... den I cried and cried again. ...:(

I know it is common for baby to get jaundice more for preemie but guess I have separation anxiety with my baby tt he have to stay on hospital alone...**sigh**

Don't worry ok mummy. Everything is gg to be alright though I believe I will be very much crying my eyes out if in the same situation given that we've tried so hard to have the baby safely in our arms. BUT if u look at it in another way, at least he's being cared for by the professionals in the hospital & of coz being given all clear for the cmv virus thingy, that shld be the best news ever. Take this time to rest & recover well & your boy will be reunited with u real soon!

Glad that baby is doing well. Must be tough on U waiting for result.

Ikr! I also want to give some buffer. Haha..I'm also on the petite side. Till now nobody believe I got 2 babies inside my studio apartment :D ....and needless to say, ppl & my mum commenting my bump is small lor
Are your babies lowered n heads down now?

Are your babies lowered n heads down now?

No leh....Best thing is their positions changed within 2 weeks! The sonograoher also surprised & we all had a good laugh abt it. Now my girl is breech, boy is transverse above the sister & heads on to one another. Duno what the 2 of them are doing inside! Yours both heads down?

No leh....Best thing is their positions changed within 2 weeks! The sonograoher also surprised & we all had a good laugh abt it. Now my girl is breech, boy is transverse above the sister & heads on to one another. Duno what the 2 of them are doing inside! Yours both heads down?
Yup both heads down n lowered.

Just a update on my c-sec management for mummy/mummy to be gg thro c -sec...

Today is the 6th day after surgery...so far not as much pain as I expected at home, n I hv been carrying baby and walking around much....but I been taking painkiller regularly so not sure is it gg to be like tt if I dun take it...

Never once remove my binder (ya I never bathe ...ha) except to tighten them...

So all mummy/mummy to be if 1st time c-sec ...dun worry ....pain factor still within control (except during first 2 days in hospital but with my threshold for pain can still take it I am sure most can)...

P.s( not seen my wound yet but I think Dr Tan did the c-sec quite low n good, shall update once I can remove my wound bandage )

Today is the 6th day after surgery...so far not as much pain as I expected at home, n I hv been carrying baby and walking around much....but I been taking painkiller regularly so not sure is it gg to be like tt if I dun take it...

So all mummy/mummy to be if 1st time c-sec ...dun worry ....pain factor still within control (except during first 2 days in hospital but with my threshold for pain can still take it I am sure most can)...

P.s( not seen my wound yet but I think Dr Tan did the c-sec quite low n good, shall update once I can remove my wound bandage )
If you feel ok. Can slow reduce the dosage for painkillers. Take the normal one. No need to take the super strong one. The plaster is water proof can take out the binder n shower

If you feel ok. Can slow reduce the dosage for painkillers. Take the normal one. No need to take the super strong one. The plaster is water proof can take out the binder n shower

I feel pretty ok actually ...just scared if I stop d strong painkiller I will feel d pain....but I also understand what u mean I can't always depend on the medi...hv to stop taking it some how..ok tml den I try bah ( 1 more day grace period ...hee)

Shower shall try next week den...:)

Thanks for sharing. Glad csect is not as bad as I imagine

Think this has been brought up before, but want to have more info. I'm still looking around for confinement lady (freelance or via agency). Any one to recommend and the price range? Just reach 12 weeks singleton pregnancy, edd mid-nov.

Went to the baby fair this afternoon and surprisingly there wasn't any confinement agencies there. Originally wanted to just cater for confinement food, but my mum insists on me having a CL since it's my first child.

Sky. U can try PEM. Google. us, we will be hiring helper,,mum in law cook etc. No choice as much as we don't want helper, since both need working. Confinement range 2.3-2.8k. Replacement x once from my research/understanding. 28 days

Thanks for sharing babe! That's quite assuring to hear. I guess the binder & painkillers will be my bff post-ops! Haha... Btw I keep forgetting to ask u. How come Dr handsome ordered the compression socks for u? Are u still wearing it now?

Back