Busy working mummy

jooengtang

hi all mummies,
Please share your comments/advise...
I just landed a new job which can have a better prospect in my career.
I work quite late every day. Most of my colleagues also working late, 8-9pm. I have ton of workload to complete every day. Though we've feedback to superior, sadly to say, they advised staff to try to prioritize work. But we all know is challenging and almost mission impossible.

I am feeling so tired and mentally exhausted.
It has seriously affected my life..... i keep asking myself whats wrong with me? Why i want to continue to work for in this way ? Again, i am in dilemma of quitting/looking for other job and my career prospect.

are u the leading breadwinner of ur household? it is hard for others to comment because money is also important for the children's education n your retirement. some households operate with almost always absent father (because of work n $$) but sahm because they feel having one parent around all the time is better. there are also many couples who both work full time and share equal childcare load. Every parent ideally also wish for worklife balance n more family time.

hi all mummies,
Please share your comments/advise...
I just landed a new job which can have a better prospect in my career.
I work quite late every day. Most of my colleagues also working late, 8-9pm. I have ton of workload to complete every day. Though we've feedback to superior, sadly to say, they advised staff to try to prioritize work. But we all know is challenging and almost mission impossible.

I am feeling so tired and mentally exhausted.
It has seriously affected my life..... i keep asking myself whats wrong with me? Why i want to continue to work for in this way ? Again, i am in dilemma of quitting/looking for other job and my career prospect.

Hello @jooengtang what are your existing priorities? What comes first? For most of the families, I feel it is tough to go on single income personally even though 1 party could earn enough to support the family cause there are other financial commitments such as elderly parents and savings for children (in addition to existing financial commitment).

Personally, I feel being full time working mummy allows me to stay relevant in the workforce. Though I have to admit that it is tough during the initial growing years due to night feeds, constant adjustments to logistics arrangement i.e. shuttling baby to infantcare and getting to/fro work. I have a 9 month old girl and put her in infantcare since she was 3 months old. I gone through a job switch when she was 5+ months old as I needed a working environment which was conducive for me to continue breastfeeding and better work life balance. Though many companies openly proclaim that they are family friendly but do check with existing employees if you could and most importantly, what's your boss to be's stand on work life balance.

Fortunately, I did not have to suffer a pay cut due to the switch but travelling distance to work is further and at times once baby is sleeping, I will continue with my work. I guess its part of parenthood :)

In your case, if I may suggest, consider a job switch as your current job environment would not change for you.

for me, i would just quit and find another job. there are plenty of job opportunity in singapore. my motto is i work to live, not live to work, which i always emphasis to my boss too.

I have 2 kids and I work Mon-fri Office and Sat-Sun or PH Promoter.
Everyday busy

@bebenewborn, woah... that's very taxing. Considering that my full time (paid) job from Mon to Fri and full time mummy / wife duties on Sat and Sun is enough to drain me out, how do you cope with caring for 2 kids? Currently, my only comfort is catching up on tv serial or coffee session with friends. Otherwise, I probably would not be sane by now :(

I have 2 girls, 3.5 yrs and 1.5 yrs. Really busy and tired working and rushing back to look after them. I have to leave office on time and hope no last min meeting.

My plan is to work now and save for the next 5 to 10 years and then see my boss can accept flexible working hours. I hope for a shorter working day that can end ard 430pm so I can fetch them, bath and have dinner and play/talk w them ^_^. Also homework tutoring when they start P1....

If my boss cant accept shorter working time, then I will try to look for a more relax job like clerical or admin executive. Just earn enough to live and support them.

thank you all sharing.... U all mummies are so strong & positive.
I am thinking to look for other job but i am so worrying 'what if' I still facing the same problem ?
There are so much ' what if' thought came to my mind.

Are u in managerial position? See if you want to have a shorter working day by reducing your salary. Ultimately, you should try to leave on the time u need to take care of your kids.

My mentality is to leave on the time I need to take care of my kids as if I keep rushing work for my boss. Hmm he will think this kind of workload is ok since whatever he give, I will finish it. Its only when he realized that his staff cant finish the jobs on time then he will look for more manpower or prioritize his goals and work tasks given out.

I thought of working shorter hours by reducing salary before. ended up still have to stay back at times due to having to rush for deadline for work and = work equally hard and salary and benefits reduced.

Hi Apple79

That is my worry too so didn't bring up my intention to my boss now as still can tahan. If really want to work shorter, see can reduced hours or shorter working wk....really a dilemma

what I am doing now is working full time and becos my job at time I have spare time, I am doing some part time with the spare time and with intention of quitting full time in near future

Hello @jooengtang

I was also like you previously.

I gave up my job, currently building my wealth online and passively.

I was able to spend more time with my daughter now.

I see myself to be financially free within 1 year with my ecommerce business.

I will be most willing to share with anyone.

Do send me an email [email protected] if you are keen to know more :)

Personally i feel that money can be earned back but the time spent with children cannot be reversed. I know of a very "successful" career lady who just told us that she didn't even know which bag was her son's when she went to pick her son up from childcare at one of the more expensive childcare in town. No doubt she can afford the latest branded bags, drives a big car, lives in nice condos, but her kids are mainly taken care of by the maid(s), grandparents, godparents... To me, this is not something that I want. She would tell me that the maid teaches her son how to brush his teeth, and little milestones that was related to her by the maid...

It all depends on what you want. And personally, if you are one who comes to this kind of forum, I think you belong to those mummies who wants to be involved in your child's life. :)

Back