CAN ANYONE SHARE HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE A SAHM?

Linwong

I have been a SAHM since 2012 and my girl is now 28 months plus old. I can't say it is easy to be a full-time housewife as there are endless household chores to complete plus looking after a young child can be time consuming and physically draining. But the only satisfaction we derived out of it is watching our kids grow up day by day from being a little baby to a young child who is happily learning to explore this beautiful world. Some mums have started enrolling their child into childcare centres or even playgroups to allow their little ones to interact with kids their age and learn new skills. I believe to a certain extent it is good as a child learns how to communicate with their peers and there would be lots of other developmental programmes like dancing, singing, story telling, arts and crafts lessons to keep them well entertained. So does it mean that if I do not enroll my child to any learning institution, my child will not grow up happily and lack the communication skills to interact with people? I feel that people thinking in this way do not fully emphatise with us being a SAHM. The joy we feel looking after our own children cannot be measured in monetary terms. And why should they judge based on the opinion that
sending kids to childcare centres would definitely prove to be a better option than jus leaving kids at home who will "learn nothing"? And does it also mean that children who have tuition teacher to guide them along will definitely do better than those who do not have the means to engage one? I do not agree
with these people who have such subjective thinking and true every parents would want the very best for their children but I believe every SAHM are also doing great nurturing their child at home. That doesn't goes to say that I am one of those great SAHM but at least I will try hard to be one. I just feel hurt that some people are so quick to judge us as one failure group of people who has failed to make ourselves useful to our children.

But I feel that my girl is listening to instructions well and dances to the rhythm of the music. She uses her fingers to slide on my touch screen phone like a "pro" and her actions are fast and swift. She isn't afraid of strangers and I believe she will enjoy the company of little friends when I start to enroll her in PAP nursery group programme next year. So when she reaches age 4, she will start on this one year nursery programme before advancing to K1 and K2. Kids these days are subjected to tremendous stress by the education system which stresses on good schools, good results and paper qualifications. I just wan my girl to enjoy her childhood, embark on a meaningful learning journey and become a useful person to society one day. I will still continue to be a SAHM and look forward to more beautiful days watching my girl grow up. I also give a thumbs up and salute all SAHM for sacrificing their time for their family. Kudos to all..............

Hi

I am also a SAHM to my 15 months old boy. At first, I thought that by staying at home with my boy taking care of him is not as tough as it is since from small he has been quite "guai". However, I realised is not an easy task. I also have endless of housework to do, spending my time with my boy teaching him things. Till now, he hasn't learnt how to call Mummy and Daddy. Wonder what went wrong. My friends told me by putting him in playgroup he may pick things faster. Still thinking thou.
I also find that I grew thinner than my pre preg state after being a SAHM :(

I'm a SAHM not by first choice since 2011. It's definitely not easy. Furthermore it's not my first choice of staying home full time but as time passes by I now enjoy every journey of it. Watching my boy grow.

managed to be be sahm for 2 months, before i land myself a job again. definitely will go for being sahm, as i can see my toddler grew up infront of me. but i went back work cos my financial are very tight...

I have been a SAHM for 8 yrs. I have 2 girls, 1 in P1 this yr n the younger one born in 2012 as well. It's not easy to be a SAHM n not everybody can be a SAHM. I don't think being a FTWM is easy as well. They have limited for them to be with their little ones. Some might also need to do housework after work. Both FTWM n SAHM are not easy la...

I don't intend to enrol my little one to nursery 1 next yr. Only will send her to N2 the yr after. I don't think she will lose out in learning. I send my elder one to N1 when she's 3 as she's the only child at home but younger one gets to play n learn from the sister so I just let her stay at home. She don't really know her ABCs but she speak in sentences... so i'm not worried abt her development. I do heard ppl saying kids in childcare learn more, I do agree but who cares?

But I feel that my girl is listening to instructions well and dances to the rhythm of the music. She uses her fingers to slide on my touch screen phone like a "pro" and her actions are fast and swift. She isn't afraid of strangers and I believe she will enjoy the company of little friends when I start to enroll her in PAP nursery group programme next year. So when she reaches age 4, she will start on this one year nursery programme before advancing to K1 and K2. Kids these days are subjected to tremendous stress by the education system which stresses on good schools, good results and paper qualifications. I just wan my girl to enjoy her childhood, embark on a meaningful learning journey and become a useful person to society one day. I will still continue to be a SAHM and look forward to more beautiful days watching my girl grow up. I also give a thumbs up and salute all SAHM for sacrificing their time for their family. Kudos to all..............
Not all schools stress on results. My girl in P1 this yr. She's in a girl's school and she enjoys going to school. They rarely have homework comparing to my friends' children in nearby schools. She still gets to play alot when she's at home. I don't send her for any tuition, she only goes for ballet. I do not want to send her for tuition as I myself hates tuition. I'm glad she's still ok with her school work. Most parents are kiasu but there are far more better kids than my kids...so just let nature take it's course. I'm not a genius so can't expect my child to be a genius...lol...

Back