(2015/05) May 2015 Mummies

do we need to book the room for delivery now?
I was thinking about the same thing! - however, it doesn't make sense to "book a room" like how we would a hotel, cos we wouldn't know when's the exact date that we are going in... Unless it's a scheduled c-sect or induction, right? - Need more help for this too!

I got mine fr spring maternity fr 2nd tri onwards, not dat exp and comfy, but of cos plain designs. Can try first oso. I find those dat I got cheaply online previously very uncomfortable, rather pay abit more for quality.
At this stage... I don't mind plain designs.. But really more for comfort ): Will go take a look at Spring then! Thanks!

What you mentioned about the possible health risks/last resort type of medical intervention is why I'm considering storing my baby's cord blood... - there's just not alot of information readily available... And.. I'm not sure if I want to book an appt with cordlife to understand more? - will they be quite pushy about this? How much is it to store the cordblood thou?
i think is about 6k. we wanted to store cordblood initially but decided that buying a policy for him is better. so we got a policy to cover any complications during birth, his childhood and can be converted into a endowment plan until he reaches 21. the plan can also be transferred to his name after he reaches 21 if he choose to continue with it. he will get 75k once he reaches 21.

i think is about 6k. we wanted to store cordblood initially but decided that buying a policy for him is better. so we got a policy to cover any complications during birth, his childhood and can be converted into a endowment plan until he reaches 21. the plan can also be transferred to his name after he reaches 21 if he choose to continue with it. he will get 75k once he reaches 21.

Of course, there's lots of pros and cons...
I heard that if you are considering to have more than one child, donation of the cord blood will be a better option... As in the event that your first born requires cord blood for any reason, his or her siblings' cord blood can be used, for the first child. So, donation of the cord blood will enable the cord blood bank to have a wider pool of cord blood for babies who really need it.
Buying insurance is definitely a must... (But right now, my bb has a tiny problem in his heart, discovered in the 5th mth scan - it is not life threatening, thank goodness, and he can still run, swim, etc. We are monitoring the situation now... But, I've spoken to an insurer and he will not be entitled to life plans, which covers any heart ailments, at this point in time).
OK. Now there's just one more thing for me to consider at this point in time.

Can I ask MTB here, what kind of bras are you wearing now that you're entering/or at your last trimester?
I bought new ones for my growing boobs but they're beginning to dig into me at my ribs now. Too tight/uncomfortable.

Any recommendations for brands that can bring me from last trimester to when we're nursing, for convenience? Thanks.

Bought triumph nursing bra since year 2011, condition as gd as new..but each cost $30+. I tried mothercare, but after 1 yr the treads all gave way(cos boobs engorged)..
Ya agree not to use underwire...so dun spend too much on new bras(those that cant nurse), size will change after stop bf-ing. ( 3/10 of i know increase in size, mine reduced :( )

i got my top from Spring too. those bamboo type are really very comfortable!
Heard a lot about bamboo cotton. Am considering to get a bamboo cotton nursing shawl as well, as it's said to last a long time and it is just that much more comfy for baby when he's all covered up below.

Bought triumph nursing bra since year 2011, condition as gd as new..but each cost $30+. I tried mothercare, but after 1 yr the treads all gave way(cos boobs engorged)..
Ya agree not to use underwire...so dun spend too much on new bras(those that cant nurse), size will change after stop bf-ing. ( 3/10 of i know increase in size, mine reduced :( )
Oh! $30 is cheaper than the ones that I've bought!!! Ugh. That's the thing about the change in size...... That's why I want something that can last me for at least the next 6mths...

I was thinking about the same thing! - however, it doesn't make sense to "book a room" like how we would a hotel, cos we wouldn't know when's the exact date that we are going in... Unless it's a scheduled c-sect or induction, right? - Need more help for this too!
@newbiemum80, @ellieteow, basically it is not really like booking a room for delivery. It just like a pre-registration, where you need to fill the details on the form such as who is your gynae, your spouse contact number, your preferred maternity ward, etc. So in case you need to be admitted for delivery, you do not need to fill that details anymore, can go straightly to delivery room for checking and contact your gynae, etc. They will try to put you in your preferred ward based on availability. Can you imagine, if you still need to hassle with those registraton form during your contraction?

Can I ask MTB here, what kind of bras are you wearing now that you're entering/or at your last trimester?
I bought new ones for my growing boobs but they're beginning to dig into me at my ribs now. Too tight/uncomfortable.

Any recommendations for brands that can bring me from last trimester to when we're nursing, for convenience? Thanks.

I bought my first nursing bra at mothercare. It was on sale. Cotton, non wired bra. It was ok lah. Bought it during 2nd tri, and now have to use bra extender. I was never a bra person tho. I get nauseous just by putting on bra. I use singlets under my normal tops. And I am not small tho. Hehe... but pregnancy has made the boobs go down south so told myself whether I like it or not, gotta start to put on bras again.

Just bought a couple more bras from spring maternity website. They were having 50% sale last mth. They were decent tho. Nothing fancy. But I think the mothercare bra is much more comfy than spring's. Mothercare's caters to more well endowed mummies, I suppose.

Agree with @mylilsheep ... Best is when u hit 3rd tri, whenever u go ur doc appt jus bring along the pre reg form so that if in any case u need to be admitted the forms are ready to register. Normally the nurses will advise accordingly to when shld the register be done (or how early)..

@newbiemum80, @ellieteow, basically it is not really like booking a room for delivery. It just like a pre-registration, where you need to fill the details on the form such as who is your gynae, your spouse contact number, your preferred maternity ward, etc. So in case you need to be admitted for delivery, you do not need to fill that details anymore, can go straightly to delivery room for checking and contact your gynae, etc. They will try to put you in your preferred ward based on availability. Can you imagine, if you still need to hassle with those registraton form during your contraction?
AHH. OK. It makes much more sense now. Thanks....
BTW, @mylilsheep mummy, does Singaporeans/hospitals in SG require MTB to prepare a "birth plan"? Have been reading up quite a bit on BabyCentre and apparently, people do that in some parts of the world. e.g. a list where we list down our preference for type of birth (with intervention/no intervention), pain relief (non, with gas, epidural, etc).... Thanks.

I bought my first nursing bra at mothercare. It was on sale. Cotton, non wired bra. It was ok lah. Bought it during 2nd tri, and now have to use bra extender. I was never a bra person tho. I get nauseous just by putting on bra. I use singlets under my normal tops. And I am not small tho. Hehe... but pregnancy has made the boobs go down south so told myself whether I like it or not, gotta start to put on bras again.

Just bought a couple more bras from spring maternity website. They were having 50% sale last mth. They were decent tho. Nothing fancy. But I think the mothercare bra is much more comfy than spring's. Mothercare's caters to more well endowed mummies, I suppose.

Ya true, mothercare bra i cant find my exact size, either slightly big or too tight..haha. Nursing bras are honestly ugly..hehe, same old colours. I bought from M&S before, material is comfy, but theres underwire support (more suitable during preg n not for nursing).. Can consider also

Agree with @mylilsheep ... Best is when u hit 3rd tri, whenever u go ur doc appt jus bring along the pre reg form so that if in any case u need to be admitted the forms are ready to register. Normally the nurses will advise accordingly to when shld the register be done (or how early)..
I see, OK. sure, thanks a lot for the info! - btw, I heard that some people actually bring along this "cervical test kit" - to test if you're having yeast infection, etc, at the point when you are in the delivery suite (not sure if I got the full info), but I was advised to purchase a test kit like that. Any ideas what that kit is referring to? (I'm prone to getting yeast infection in my pregnancy... So the last thing I want is having a natural birth and passing the infection to my baby during delivery :/) THANKS!

Ya true, mothercare bra i cant find my exact size, either slightly big or too tight..haha. Nursing bras are honestly ugly..hehe, same old colours. I bought from M&S before, material is comfy, but theres underwire support (more suitable during preg n not for nursing).. Can consider also
Went to M&S yesterday and asked if they do sell maternity wear/bras... The lady at the cashier told me, No (?!)
@nazriah , not putting on a bra is not an option.... Been wearing nubras a couple of times... And it's just too uncomfy at the bottom side of the boobs after a long day :( Seems like Spring should be the place to go to by some maternity bras then....

Went to M&S yesterday and asked if they do sell maternity wear/bras... The lady at the cashier told me, No (?!)
@nazriah , not putting on a bra is not an option.... Been wearing nubras a couple of times... And it's just too uncomfy at the bottom side of the boobs after a long day :( Seems like Spring should be the place to go to by some maternity bras then....

It shld not be an option not to put on. but since young lah, I am more comfy without it. But priority change. And esp when thinking to nurse the baby, so have to put on and then have to check for leakage and all. So gotta find a suitable one. For mothercare, cutting is bigger as well. I am currently using cup D and it fits ok. But for spring's cup D, its just overflowing. So maybe for spring gotta get a cup bigger.

It shld not be an option not to put on. but since young lah, I am more comfy without it. But priority change. And esp when thinking to nurse the baby, so have to put on and then have to check for leakage and all. So gotta find a suitable one. For mothercare, cutting is bigger as well. I am currently using cup D and it fits ok. But for spring's cup D, its just overflowing. So maybe for spring gotta get a cup bigger.

What you mentioned about the possible health risks/last resort type of medical intervention is why I'm considering storing my baby's cord blood... - there's just not alot of information readily available... And.. I'm not sure if I want to book an appt with cordlife to understand more? - will they be quite pushy about this? How much is it to store the cordblood thou?
Perhaps you can read through their website first? I find it quite informative and easy to comprehend... I also spoke to their staff at one of the expo that just past, they were pretty professional and did not sales talk with me (which i do not like sales talks on health stuffs)... At least i understood more about the procedures and all, so am planning to call them to sign up already. They do house visits, which is good as my tummy is heavier and besides work, i'm so gonna head home....... So guess i will meet their lady at my house, like what i did when i booked my confinement nanny with PEMS.
Price is around 1600 one time for the initial handling and tests. Every year thereafter is fixed at $250. I will use baby bonus (CDA) for the payment as the sales lady told me that payment will only happen after baby is born as that is the time you can open the child development account. CDA is the $1-to-$1 matching from govt, so i guess i only need to put in initial 800plus for cord blood banking. Oh, i'm taking up cord lining too! You may wish to find out more since we still have time!

Will i need to wear maternity bras once we enter last trimester? I thought is to use only when baby is born and when bf... Oh no... i better start buying...

Me too under Dr Yam. hubby and I really like him. :)

About IFC, I think it helps to just give the school a call (or go down personally) and check if you can just leave an indication of interest even before baby is out. Can say you may need to be back at work before whole 16 weeks of ML are utilized and worried that you can't get a spot. Keep a lookout for new centres too.
I'm under Dr Yam too! Felt really comfortable with him. Hope he makes labour easier and enjoyable too..........!!!

Hi Mummies

Sorry to hijack
I'm selling bean sprout husk pillow with pillow case @ $14.90 and $15.90 including postage.
There are 2 sizes for you to choose from

upload_2015-2-26_14-15-34.png

25cm x 15cm

upload_2015-2-26_14-15-54.png

30cm x 13cm

If interested, you may PM me at [email protected]
Pillow case selection is diff from the pic shown. There are various design for u to choose from.

Miracle No 2, hihi! My gynae is Dr John Yam. His clinic is at Gleneagles and he can deliver your baby and whichever private hospital you choose. :)

MXLO, I stayed in single bed ward for 5d4n (machiam staycation, lol) as my daughter had jaundice. Total bill was around $7k. Cannot remember how much cash we paid.. Around $5k if I remember correctly.
Hi starrymommy, i'm also under Dr Yam, i thought he only does Glene deliveries? When i was telling his nurse i need to book a room, she just auto helped me book for Glene... Do i have to request on my own?

ooo when do we need to do that and where? during the tour?

Will i need to wear maternity bras once we enter last trimester? I thought is to use only when baby is born and when bf... Oh no... i better start buying...
i started wearing them when i was around half way tru my first trimester cos my nipples itch like crazy and i was told to wear cotton wireless type. so i bought n wearing them now...dont really feel very good . not sure is it the nipples or the bra. i always find the shape of the nipples very obvious when i wear clothes

i started wearing them when i was around half way tru my first trimester cos my nipples itch like crazy and i was told to wear cotton wireless type. so i bought n wearing them now...dont really feel very good . not sure is it the nipples or the bra. i always find the shape of the nipples very obvious when i wear clothes
Understand... And cotton wireless types also make us feel less appealing cos the colours and patterns so similar and boring right... I'm still wearing my old bras as i just remove the paddings (yes, i'm far from well-endowed) :p But i find now it's getting tighter and was scrolling through Qoo10 for maternity bras which seemingly is quite cheap and has got some patterns... Dunno whether comfy or not only... I ordered one just now! So will assess.....

Perhaps you can read through their website first? I find it quite informative and easy to comprehend... I also spoke to their staff at one of the expo that just past, they were pretty professional and did not sales talk with me (which i do not like sales talks on health stuffs)... At least i understood more about the procedures and all, so am planning to call them to sign up already. They do house visits, which is good as my tummy is heavier and besides work, i'm so gonna head home....... So guess i will meet their lady at my house, like what i did when i booked my confinement nanny with PEMS.
Price is around 1600 one time for the initial handling and tests. Every year thereafter is fixed at $250. I will use baby bonus (CDA) for the payment as the sales lady told me that payment will only happen after baby is born as that is the time you can open the child development account. CDA is the $1-to-$1 matching from govt, so i guess i only need to put in initial 800plus for cord blood banking. Oh, i'm taking up cord lining too! You may wish to find out more since we still have time!

That's really good to know... Thanks, I'll def go read up more on this topic.... Really one of the more important considerations to think about before baby is born...

My EDD is in March, expecting a baby boy ^^

I'm considering if I should bank my baby's cord blood and I scared to ask the different companies (Cordlife/Stemcord) because I don't know if they will hardsell it to me. Anyone with Cordlife or Stemcord? Which is better in terms of overall? I don't mind paying more for quality and better service since this is for my baby.

The company will collect the cord blood? Or my doc will do it? You need to pay full immediately when you sign the contract?
Thanks!
Hihi, you can approach both to understand their processes. I spoke to them both, and they do not hard sell, so don't worry. I chose Cordlife in the end, because of their transplant track record and their strength in establishment and corporate governance (hubby is rather adamant about finding a company which is more established cos this is for the long-term). I personally liked the sales consultant i met also, she's very knowledgeable and professional.

Didn't know that triumph sells nursing bra. I bot some cheap ones from baby fair but doesn't fit really well.

Cord life is having Feb promotion now. If you sign up before end of month, you will get $50 Robinson vouchers. If you give a referral name, he will get $100 voucher. I just met the consultant today.

That's really good to know... Thanks, I'll def go read up more on this topic.... Really one of the more important considerations to think about before baby is born...

@ellieteow: it's good to meet up with the consultant to find out more. From website, I keep thinking that the payment will cover both cord blood and umbilical cord collection but apparently there are different charges. Those listed in website is for cord blood only. Another thing is that they have different payment plans eg upfront with annual payment for 20 yrs; 10 yrs plan upfront or full 21 yrs upfront which comes up to different amount of savings.

ooo when do we need to do that and where? during the tour?
You pre-register online with the hospital you intend to be delivering at. I did mine in early Jan with Mt A. Some people wait for their gynae's clinic to do it for them around week 32 or so. I'm just impatient in general.

I just signed up for a class with TMC (held at AMK HUB)... Lady was nice enough to slot me into an ongoing class. Will be going for the class in first Saturday of March! Do call and enquire with the CBE hotline. You can ask to speak to Aishah.

Can i know what time is ur saturday class?

I never bother what type of massage mdm ida uses, as long i can get back slim slim and uterus is being pushed back. Hehe .. :D
She uses ginger oil, but is not those 'hot' kind, quite nice smelling (i tried a bottle bought from malaysia..VERY HOT!!) Ya includes binding but return after the entire session. I can say that that all my fat or water retention is 90% gone after 5 sessions from her. Got back my pre preg weight after 3 weeks too. (But i aso used corset n tight undies for another few weeks to get back some 'shape') Shes very friendly and can do breast massage to get ur milk flowing.. She taught me how to massage, n use warm towel to compress too...helped alot during my #1.

This time im trying mdm hamidah cos my friend intro n aso cos of the mattress/bedding provided.

Can u pm me e contact for mdm Ida or Hamidah?

@newbiemum80: I went for the hospital tour at mt A. They will give you a pre registration form as sample. You just need to go online and fill up the form 1 month before EDD to help in the registration process. Not sure about other hospital.
They state to pre register at least one month in advance for everyone's sanity and also gives you room to ensure there are no hiccups etc. So you can register anytime before the stipulated timing.

They state to pre register at least one month in advance for everyone's sanity and also gives you room to ensure there are no hiccups etc. So you can register anytime before the stipulated timing.
okok. thanks mummies. i probably "chop" the room on monday since i m going to visit my gynae then

Anyone has done glucose test? Mine is tested high..

Yup, i just started my personal home cum work test tdy!!! Faint keep seeing blood. Lol.
My reading after drinking the glucose water was 8.8, what bout urs? Mine is not high enuff to take insulin jab, so doc recommend me to do 2 consecutive days of test (7x a day) and email him my results.

Just some advice after tring out plain meals and drinks before cny, during cny and to date. DONT TAKE ANY KIND OF sauces before doing the test! Haha. Gulp down plenty of water after meal, and have small portions (im a huge eater), have small snacks throughout the day. Take at least 3 cup of skimmed or low fat milk. Avoid DURIANS!!!!arrrgghhh my fav!

Alot of disadvantage if the glucose level is not controlled, ie, baby will have difficulties coming out, need to c-sec, health problem with baby not the mother, etc. sounds scary....so i also trying to control my diet :(
My hubby keep reminding me but i still take sweet or chocolate once a day ...

Ok my two cents worth since I did extensive research on cord blood banking and decided not to go with it at all. From the list of diseases most prevalent are blood related so if your family has no such blood related disease history then it's pretty much left to their on going research and tests to see what other diseases can the stem cells be used for.
Also from my research I found out that if a baby is born with a particular disease this will be genetically inherent in his or her stem cells. Collecting this stem cells and trying to use it for this baby will be useless as it has the disease to begin with. The unusable stem cells might be able to use for siblings or parents if needed in the future.
Globally the number of cases utilizing stem cells is very low averaging around 25k in population. Mostly for blood related and brain cognitive related diseases.
The difference between why public cord banks reject donations is because they conduct stringent checks to ensure the public get the necessary excellent stem cell quality donations which will cure/aid them vs private cord banking which collects the cells and you have to "trust" that your gynae collected sufficient cells and the process was done with no hiccups. The private bank will inform you yes it's done to the tee but there is no guarantee and assurance. You just have to believe their word. For all you know you paid $6k for unusable cells to sit in the freezers over time.
My personal POV is that most of the parents buy into this cord blood banking because they fear the what if without the proper information. For now the stem cells are able to be kept for max of 23 years and not a lifetime as some people might inaccurately believe.

Last edited:
Yup, i just started my personal home cum work test tdy!!! Faint keep seeing blood. Lol.
My reading after drinking the glucose water was 8.8, what bout urs? Mine is not high enuff to take insulin jab, so doc recommend me to do 2 consecutive days of test (7x a day) and email him my results.

Just some advice after tring out plain meals and drinks before cny, during cny and to date. DONT TAKE ANY KIND OF sauces before doing the test! Haha. Gulp down plenty of water after meal, and have small portions (im a huge eater), have small snacks throughout the day. Take at least 3 cup of skimmed or low fat milk. Avoid DURIANS!!!!arrrgghhh my fav!

Alot of disadvantage if the glucose level is not controlled, ie, baby will have difficulties coming out, need to c-sec, health problem with baby not the mother, etc. sounds scary....so i also trying to control my diet :(
My hubby keep reminding me but i still take sweet or chocolate once a day ...

I'm gg to do glucose test on mon so I better control my diet these few days. No more cny goodies I guess.

Ya, better stop 2 days in adv, some ppl stop 2weeks. Pineapple tarts !!!!! Lol. I waiting after tmr den start my cny goodies if i pass the 14 tests... hehe.

Ok my two cents worth since I did extensive research on cord blood banking and decided not to go with it at all. From the list of diseases most prevalent are blood related so if your family has no such blood related disease history then it's pretty much left to their on going research and tests to see what other diseases can the stem cells be used for.
Also from my research I found out that if a baby is born with a particular disease this will be genetically inherent in his or her stem cells. Collecting this stem cells and trying to use it for this baby will be useless as it has the disease to begin with. The unusable stem cells might be able to use for siblings or parents if needed in the future.
Globally the number of cases utilizing stem cells is very low averaging around 25k in population. Mostly for blood related and brain cognitive related diseases.
The difference between why public cord banks reject donations is because they conduct stringent checks to ensure the public get the necessary excellent stem cell quality donations which will cure/aid them vs private cord banking which collects the cells and you have to "trust" that your gynae collected sufficient cells and the process was done with no hiccups. The private bank will inform you yes it's done to the tee but there is no guarantee and assurance. You just have to believe their word. For all you know you paid $6k for unusable cells to sit in the freezers over time.
My personal POV is that most of the parents buy into this cord blood banking because they fear the what if without the proper information. For now the stem cells are able to be kept for max of 23 years and not a lifetime as some people might inaccurately believe.

I think this is an excellent perspective we can take in the face of the aggressive sales/marketing we are thrown into. I did have similar concerns.
Thank you Pixieposh for sharing your findings!

@ellieteow: it's good to meet up with the consultant to find out more. From website, I keep thinking that the payment will cover both cord blood and umbilical cord collection but apparently there are different charges. Those listed in website is for cord blood only. Another thing is that they have different payment plans eg upfront with annual payment for 20 yrs; 10 yrs plan upfront or full 21 yrs upfront which comes up to different amount of savings.
Other than CordLife, I went to look at StemCord as well... Basically, this is another form of "health insurance" and assurance for baby. But I agree with what @PixiePosh said as well. Have to discuss with Hubs about this if we were to continue or not...

Hi, am wondering if one is anemic, what are the possibility of giving birth naturally? Anyone experience this before?

Having my appt tmr but just wanna find out more before meeting the gynea.

Back