Year 2020 January Mums

Hello! I'm a 1st time mom, just went for gynae check today and I'm estimated to be 5wks.
Going for 2nd scan next Tues(21st May) to check the baby's heartbeat.
Anyone visiting a female gynae? I'd like to compare prices because my 1st check up costs $680 (1st consultation, ultrasound, 2 blood test, Duphaston, Folic).. is that a normal rate?
Subsequent check up is $80-100 for consultation, $120+ for ultrasound, nurse said be prepare to spend around $200-300 each time.

Hi Zipp! I’m visiting Dr KT Tan at KKH (female gynae) as a private patient and also went to Oasis to try out Dr James Wong as his clinic is very near to home but both visits didn’t cost me that much. At KKH first checkup with the same things you went through cost ard $220. With Dr James Wong cost $290 with the similar items too excluding blood test. Your first bill seems too expensive, what blood test did you do? I think subsequent checkups to pay ard $200+ per visit sounds normal to me.

Hi Zipp! I’m visiting Dr KT Tan at KKH (female gynae) as a private patient and also went to Oasis to try out Dr James Wong as his clinic is very near to home but both visits didn’t cost me that much. At KKH first checkup with the same things you went through cost ard $220. With Dr James Wong cost $290 with the similar items too excluding blood test. Your first bill seems too expensive, what blood test did you do? I think subsequent checkups to pay ard $200+ per visit sounds normal to me.

Morning Aprillia85! They took 6 tubes of blood from me to check a variety of things (HCG mainly and I don't know what else) & I need to do it again on Friday before my scan on Tues.
Perhaps I should check out Dr KT Tan because I'm more comfortable visiting a female gynae. Is there a reason why did you change gynae from Dr KT Tan to Dr James Wong?

Morning Aprillia85! They took 6 tubes of blood from me to check a variety of things (HCG mainly and I don't know what else) & I need to do it again on Friday before my scan on Tues.
Perhaps I should check out Dr KT Tan because I'm more comfortable visiting a female gynae. Is there a reason why did you change gynae from Dr KT Tan to Dr James Wong?

Hi Zipp, which gynae are you seeing now? I still haven’t decide to continue with Dr KT Tan or switch over to Dr James Wong. The reason why i’m trying out Dr James Wong is becuz his clinic is very near to my house so for convenience’s sake. As for Dr KT Tan, when I met her for my 1st consultation, she’s rather friendly and chatty though some online reviews said she’s very straightforward and doesn’t really talk much. Another popular female gynae at KKH now is Dr Qi Mali, Wife of Dr Khoo Chong Kiat who is quite famous but shifted out from KKH to Mt E Novena for Pte practice.

Btw 6 tubes of blood is quite an amount! You didn’t ask them y they need to draw so much blood? And can I check for your scan, did you just see gestational sac or can see yolk sac and fetal pole already?

Hi Zipp, which gynae are you seeing now? I still haven’t decide to continue with Dr KT Tan or switch over to Dr James Wong. The reason why i’m trying out Dr James Wong is becuz his clinic is very near to my house so for convenience’s sake. As for Dr KT Tan, when I met her for my 1st consultation, she’s rather friendly and chatty though some online reviews said she’s very straightforward and doesn’t really talk much. Another popular female gynae at KKH now is Dr Qi Mali, Wife of Dr Khoo Chong Kiat who is quite famous but shifted out from KKH to Mt E Novena for Pte practice.

Btw 6 tubes of blood is quite an amount! You didn’t ask them y they need to draw so much blood? And can I check for your scan, did you just see gestational sac or can see yolk sac and fetal pole already?

I am seeing Dr Cathryn Chan of Mount E Novena, she's the 1st Google result when I keyed "female gynae" so i just went with it. But I'm ok to change coz she seems ex.

Blood was for Antenatal blood test and beta HCG test. I need to go for another round of beta HCG blood test this Fri before my scan on Tues.

Doc called it a yolk sac. What's the diff?

I am seeing Dr Cathryn Chan of Mount E Novena, she's the 1st Google result when I keyed "female gynae" so i just went with it. But I'm ok to change coz she seems ex.

Blood was for Antenatal blood test and beta HCG test. I need to go for another round of beta HCG blood test this Fri before my scan on Tues.

Doc called it a yolk sac. What's the diff?

Haha I see, if u really prefer female gynae, my Friend recommends Dr Yvonne Chan at TMC. She just delivered her baby under Dr Chan this year and likes her as waiting time at clinic is not Long and her overall experience with her is pleasant too.

Oh why do you need to do hcg test so many times? I thought once they can detect gestational sac with yolk sac and fetal pole etc then don’t need to rest for hcg already? Yolk sac has the embryo inside the gestational sac while gestational sac only shows a sac I think

Haha I see, if u really prefer female gynae, my Friend recommends Dr Yvonne Chan at TMC. She just delivered her baby under Dr Chan this year and likes her as waiting time at clinic is not Long and her overall experience with her is pleasant too.

Oh why do you need to do hcg test so many times? I thought once they can detect gestational sac with yolk sac and fetal pole etc then don’t need to rest for hcg already? Yolk sac has the embryo inside the gestational sac while gestational sac only shows a sac I think

Thank you! I will check out Dr Yvonne Chan!
Doc wants to see whether the HCG levels will increase I think.. I'm not sure too.

Hi everyone. I am 2nd time mummy, currently at 5 weeks plus. Current symptoms are not much appetite and feel bloated everyday. Haven’t go for u/s, planning to only go next mth. I was hoping to see heartbeat by the time I go for u/s. I was also under dr Chen Lin han for my first one. He is good and know his stuffs well.

Hi everybody, I m first time mum here, currently abt 6weeks plus. EDD 3-Jan. Hv been feeling nauseaous, heart burn and sleepy. Am actually a high risk mum cos over 40yrs old, had a mc 4 months ago. Hope everything will be smooth and fine...

Hi everyone! First-time mum here, EDD 2 Jan 2020 :) Currently deciding between 2 gynaes, 1 at NUH and 1 at TMC but most likely going to choose NUH as their overall costs seem a lot more manageable if I am looking to get a 1-bedder. Anyone else deciding between these 2?

Looking forward to chatting with you dads & mums and learning new things on this forum!

Hi fellow mummies to be., congrats to you too! I am a second time mom and just tested positive over the weekend. Going to schedule a visit with Dr Hong SC. (She delivered my boy last year and I love her lots!)

Is there a Whatsapp group chat for jan20 mummies?

Just found out I was pregnant last week! First time mum, so I'm excited but really worried as well, because I know people who had a miscarriage in their first trimester.
I haven't made an appointment with a gynae yet because I read that I wouldn't be able to see much early on in the pregnancy via ultrasound scan? When should I go to the gynae?
By the way, I'm considering going to Dr SL Goh at Mount A. Anyone knows whether she's good and whether her costs are okay?

Thanks

Hi fellow mummies to be., congrats to you too! I am a second time mom and just tested positive over the weekend. Going to schedule a visit with Dr Hong SC. (She delivered my boy last year and I love her lots!)

U can message to superman111 to join the whatsapp group

Just found out I was pregnant last week! First time mum, so I'm excited but really worried as well, because I know people who had a miscarriage in their first trimester.
I haven't made an appointment with a gynae yet because I read that I wouldn't be able to see much early on in the pregnancy via ultrasound scan? When should I go to the gynae?
By the way, I'm considering going to Dr SL Goh at Mount A. Anyone knows whether she's good and whether her costs are okay?

Thanks

Congrats! How early is yours? I manage to hear my baby heartbeat at week 5 day 5 ^^ it's a really wonderful feeling.

I'm first time mum too so can't comment much on dr sl goh

Thanks

Congrats!! You can call her up to book first appointment. One mama from my #1 groups liked her a lot, but do expect long waiting time as she seems to be a popular Gynae.

Hello all mummies!
I actually created a new account to follow this thread.
Anyway, I tested positive on 10 May. Should be about 5 weeks old now.
I went to Polyclinic to get a referral letter and will be going KK for the entire journey! This way I am subsidized
I am still waiting for KK to call me up for an appt, so excited! I wonder if able to see baobao at week 5/6?

Hi, I tested positive today. I felt crazy being pregnant at 38.

How to deal with this overwhelming news when we are all stressed up with hectic life in SG ?

Thanks

I’m currently seeing her. She’s good and waiting time is not Long as Long as you don’t choose peak hours or days.

Hi all!

Just wanna ask, are u all concerned over confinement which will cross over CNY?

I heard that CL fee hike over 1k, and also I’m concerned to do confinement at my mil’s place where there are numerous relatives visiting the house. It will be chaotic and probably no rest during the day and cui look all the time. o_O

For your reference. Hope this helps.

a8759f34af3a29bf7a54a10e0bb11416.jpg

Hi all!

Just wanna ask, are u all concerned over confinement which will cross over CNY?

I heard that CL fee hike over 1k, and also I’m concerned to do confinement at my mil’s place where there are numerous relatives visiting the house. It will be chaotic and probably no rest during the day and cui look all the time. o_O

Yes. No choice if u have no other options.

Maybe plan packed confinement food instead of confinement nanny. Or engaged Yr own mum to help to cook confinement water for 30 days.

For your reference. Hope this helps.

a8759f34af3a29bf7a54a10e0bb11416.jpg

Hi thank u for ur reply.
This is which agency? Or general case?
Wah still can tax relief for CL arh. Not bad. Lol.
The $30 each for arrival and leaving, meaning $60 total? Hmm then CNY first day still need to bao for the CL yi si yi si also....

Yes. No choice if u have no other options.

Maybe plan packed confinement food instead of confinement nanny. Or engaged Yr own mum to help to cook confinement water for 30 days.

Ya I was thinking of that also to order confinement food, wonder if the food ordering alone will hike during CNY?
My mother’s place is out of bound, and my mil’s place is crowded with visitors (even on non CNY period)... and she has experience on babysitting during confinement....

Hi thank u for ur reply.
This is which agency? Or general case?
Wah still can tax relief for CL arh. Not bad. Lol.
The $30 each for arrival and leaving, meaning $60 total? Hmm then CNY first day still need to bao for the CL yi si yi si also....

This is from agency PEM. You can google and check with the other agencies.

Haven’t add in the groceries, herbs cost. Probably another $1k.

Congrats! How early is yours? I manage to hear my baby heartbeat at week 5 day 5 ^^ it's a really wonderful feeling.

I'm first time mum too so can't comment much on dr sl goh

Hi! U managed to hear heart beat at w5d5 already? U are with Dr sl goh?
Btw when is ur next gynae visit? As in usually after wk 5, the next visit Isit wk 7 or 8? Isit like a 2 weeks interval thingy.

Last edited:
Hi! U managed to hear heart beat at w5d5 already? U are with Dr sl goh?
Btw when is ur next gynae visit? As in usually after wk 5, the next visit Isit wk 7 or 8? Isit like a 2 weeks interval thingy.
Yes we managed to hear at w5d5 =)
We not with sl goh.
Current next is week 7 coz I'm changing ob~ let u know again after I see him to ask on the interval =)

Just now I went for scan for wk7 fetal heartbeat.. Ooooo... The heartbeat is soooo fast... Baby growing also ok.. 3 weeks later go bk and visit gynae again.. This time round to decide whether to test for down syndrome and if test, which method I want to opt for..

Hmm. I am 39 this yr.
Method 1: blood test and ultrasound scan, test rate 90% @$200, results in 1 hr
Method 2: blood test sent to oversea, test rate 99% @$800, result in 2 weeks..

Any idea which method is more appropriate for me?

Just now I went for scan for wk7 fetal heartbeat.. Ooooo... The heartbeat is soooo fast... Baby growing also ok.. 3 weeks later go bk and visit gynae again.. This time round to decide whether to test for down syndrome and if test, which method I want to opt for..

Hmm. I am 39 this yr.
Method 1: blood test and ultrasound scan, test rate 90% @$200, results in 1 hr
Method 2: blood test sent to oversea, test rate 99% @$800, result in 2 weeks..

Any idea which method is more appropriate for me?

Congrats mama!

Method 1 is OSCAR scan. Good thing about Oscar is you can see early structural defects (if any) and not wait till week 20 detailed scan. However, there is a higher possibility of false positive because of the various factors like mom’s age, skills of sonographer(to take measurement during the scan etc) etc.

Method 2 is panorama test. Can detect the gender early, not sure what your panorama test include other than trisomy 21. Got to check with your gynae on this. This test won’t show the structural defects (if any), until you go for your week 20 scan.

Method 1: if you got budget constraint, age is not an issue, can choose this.

Method 2: it’s a want, not really a need. (Personally I chose this, cuz I also want to know the gender. The test I went for also test for other trisomy)

Method 1+2: I knew of some mamas who got a bad scare from method 1, and got method 2 to reassure their baby is fine. Fortunately, it is really a bad scare (false positives) for them.

You got time to read up on the tests and decide which is a better choice for you. Enjoy your preg journey!

Hi, I am only week 5. Started to get tired, taste change. Do u ladies also ?

Or it is my mind that is tired due to lack of sleep ?

Hello! Just tested positive today. 2nd time mum. I should be just 4weeks+ only. Feeling change of taste and stomach gassy. hope no morning sickness this time round. The last time when I was preg I had morning sickness till 5mth!

Congrats mama!

Method 1 is OSCAR scan. Good thing about Oscar is you can see early structural defects (if any) and not wait till week 20 detailed scan. However, there is a higher possibility of false positive because of the various factors like mom’s age, skills of sonographer(to take measurement during the scan etc) etc.

Method 2 is panorama test. Can detect the gender early, not sure what your panorama test include other than trisomy 21. Got to check with your gynae on this. This test won’t show the structural defects (if any), until you go for your week 20 scan.

Method 1: if you got budget constraint, age is not an issue, can choose this.

Method 2: it’s a want, not really a need. (Personally I chose this, cuz I also want to know the gender. The test I went for also test for other trisomy)

Method 1+2: I knew of some mamas who got a bad scare from method 1, and got method 2 to reassure their baby is fine. Fortunately, it is really a bad scare (false positives) for them.

You got time to read up on the tests and decide which is a better choice for you. Enjoy your preg journey!
Wow... I didn't know method 2 can tell me baby gender. The brochure they gave did not mention this. Both test given are capable of detecting whether baby has trisomy 21 (down syndrome), trisomy 18 (Edwards syndrome) and 13 (Palau syndrome).

Method 2 might be more suitable for me since I am high risk due to my age and because I conceived via IVF.

Rather pay more to get max accuracy rather than get scare... Now every time go see doc also have a little fear.. Like today fear no heartbeat... Saw heartbeat v happy then sudd next scan.. Down syndrome..

Hi all! Congrats to everyone!
Just went to the gynae today to confirm my pregnancy too, going to be a second time mummy with EDD on 10Jan!

Hope to be part of the WA grp!
Have pm-ed superman111 :)

Wow... I didn't know method 2 can tell me baby gender. The brochure they gave did not mention this. Both test given are capable of detecting whether baby has trisomy 21 (down syndrome), trisomy 18 (Edwards syndrome) and 13 (Palau syndrome).

Method 2 might be more suitable for me since I am high risk due to my age and because I conceived via IVF.

Rather pay more to get max accuracy rather than get scare... Now every time go see doc also have a little fear.. Like today fear no heartbeat... Saw heartbeat v happy then sudd next scan.. Down syndrome..

Your pano test is so much cheaper than what I paid for. I think I paid $1.2k, but it was worth it. Save me the paranoid about the unnecessary fears.
Just enjoy your preg and don’t worry too much <3

Hi all,
First time mummy here. EDD around 25Jan.
Haven't make any gynae appt yet. Any mummy here planning to deliver in JB and use medisave?

Hi mums to be, I'm first time mum too. Got positive when tested on yesterday. Edd will be 25th Jan 2020 which is CNY day 1. I haven't go for first checkup and have not decide which gynae and hospital to go with. Can I join the WhatsApp group?

Hello dear wonderful mom to be, there is a free pre-natal health talk and yoga session held tomorrow Saturday 25th May, 2pm to 5.30pm @ Guoco Tower!

Come join us for an informational session with certified senior nurse sharing about the pregnancy journey and what to look out for throughout the pregnancy.

An hour of pre-natal yoga with our prenatal yoga instructor and our senior director from AIA-FA will also be sharing with you what does maternity insurance covers.

Light refreshments will be provided and all participants will also be given a yoga mat with bag as a gift!

*Come register now via this link -> https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScLe4-qhjJTzfekq1BoM2Uzf7bZFIeJakgZS-eZBzkGanft4w/viewform*

Mom-to-be must be at least 15 weeks pregnant as that’s the recommended week to start pre-natal yoga ‍♀️

Hello... Just went for my 1st scan n edd is in Jan as well. love to embark this journey with the mummies here. Would like to join in the watsapps group. Will pm superman111

Hello! Just had my first scan and am a first time mom. EDD 4 Jan. I’m really happy, excited and nervous all at the same time. Haha

Been feeling extremely nauseous but thankfully I haven’t Merlion yet. Going into week 8 and I lost all appetite from week 7 till now.. food used to be my love but now nothing seems to interest me anymore instead the thought of food puts me off. But again thankfully I still feel alright whenever I have my meals. I hope this nauseated feeling will go away soonnn

And oh I used to be extremely active.. working out almost daily but now I feel so tired Everyday and gynae advised me not to exercise during my first trimester. So I’ve been a couch potato...

Hello! Just had my first scan and am a first time mom. EDD 4 Jan. I’m really happy, excited and nervous all at the same time. Haha

Been feeling extremely nauseous but thankfully I haven’t Merlion yet. Going into week 8 and I lost all appetite from week 7 till now.. food used to be my love but now nothing seems to interest me anymore instead the thought of food puts me off. But again thankfully I still feel alright whenever I have my meals. I hope this nauseated feeling will go away soonnn
Sama Sama, im feeling nausea whole day, is v xin ku esp at work.
I applying feng you and eat sour plum. Anyone know if feng you is safe for preg?

And oh I used to be extremely active.. working out almost daily but now I feel so tired Everyday and gynae advised me not to exercise during my first trimester. So I’ve been a couch potato...
I also just lying down on weekdays, the nausea is not making me well to exercise also...

Congrats to all mummies to be!
I tested positive this weekend and I’m so happy!
However I would like to seek advices from the mummies here. I had an ectopic pregnancy last Dec and I’m so glad to be pregnant again but I’m worried it might be repeated case. Should I head to KK A&E for a check or should I go to polyclinic for referral?

Congrats to all mummies to be!
I tested positive this weekend and I’m so happy!
However I would like to seek advices from the mummies here. I had an ectopic pregnancy last Dec and I’m so glad to be pregnant again but I’m worried it might be repeated case. Should I head to KK A&E for a check or should I go to polyclinic for referral?
Congrats mummy Hhhelly!

If you are looking for subsided visits, get a referral from poly first.

Hi jus tested positive using clear blue digital , may I know how accurate is it ?? I cannot believe my eyes till now

Back