Worried mum

shirix

my baby is 3months old... he don't like FM now... as i've been bfing him most of the time till now... i only give him FM when the nanny say that the baby is still not full yet in the 1st month.. and my baby still ok with drinking FM that time. After that i stop giving him FM, as my friend advise me,so that i can produce more milk. And indeed i got more milk.

Now that my menstration came back... i realise that my milk production drop dramatically...but my baby just refuse to drink FM.. i worried that he is not getting enough milk through bfing... he cried sometime to ask for more but sometime he just fall alsleep though i believe he does not have enough... now my breast dun get the feeling of "full"..

And how i know whether baby is urinating and pooing well??

Shirix

Calm down.

For Pee - Are you changing diapers more or less often? Are the diapers as heavy as they used to be or dryer/lighter?

For poo - Is he pooing like he used to?

Is he losing weight?

There's no magic or instant answer to this. Just use your eyes and observe over 2-3 days.

There are many reasons why baby may not want to drink FM.

1) Breast/Nipple is softer, BM is always right temperature, and best of all is always accompanied by mum's comforting loving hands around baby. Who wants to give that up?

- try getting someone else to feed, and you leave the room so baby cannot see or smell you.

At 3 months, baby starts to recognise sights, sounds and they know where and who to go to for the best comfort. They are smart little humans now [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

2) maybe baby just decided that they dont like the taste of this brand anymore. My friend's baby was drinking one brand for a few weeks. Suddenly changed one day and refused to drink. Maybe milk was bad or cold or something, who knows.... My friend had to try 3 different types of FM brands before baby would drink FM again.

Thanks Sunny...

i have been changing lesser diapers now... [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/sad.gif]

i have also just change the FM... he still doesn't seems to like it...

think i will change again.

If baby reject me feeding FM, because he can smell me... so i can't feed him anymore.. that will be quite sad...

i'm also thinking whether should i get the more mulk plus from vitakids to increase my milk production or not..

and is it true that when your menstration came, your milk production will drop? and does it going to help if i keep pumping or i take med??

yes, usually milk production will drop when menstruation comes. Try asking your gynae to prescribe you domperidone to increase the milk.

Someone else feeding FM with bottle - this is only for while to get baby used to bottle and to FM. I had to do the same for 1 week or so, my hubby hd to feed cos if I hold, my girl immediately starts going for the breast. But nowadays i feed her (bottle and breast alternatively) both no problem.

what's the diff bet domperidone and fenugreek?? i heard a lot of pple talking abt fenugreek.

Will it be too late to take these supplements?? one of my breast almost stop producing milk already. The other side is better...

wow.. so happy for you.. manage to feed her alternatively.. hope i can do it for my baby too..

I'm in dilemma now.. i will be starting work in a month time. i wonder iif i should take supplements and continue to feed bm to my baby. Coz my office does not have a nursing room so its quite difficult to pump milk in office and mine is a single pump. i didn't invest in a good pump.

I thought maybe i can feed my baby only at night, but i scare my milk will stop very fast since i did not pump the whole day.

Number one : STOP FEELING SCARED AND STRESSED!

That does not help baby and it definitely does not help milk production.

Dont worry. Baby will not starve. If/When he is really hungry, he will drink anything. It's just that we are too anxious sometimes and we want to feed X, X, X,...or do things one specific way and we are scared to change. Usually baby has different ideas. [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif] Just try and relax and go with the flow. He will not starve k.

Anyway, to answer your questions:

1) Domperidone is a manufactured pill usually prescribed for stomach problems, nausea, vomitting. However, doctors noticed that one side effect is that it seems to help with lactation (milk production). My sis in law's gynae prescribed her some, and SIL said it increased her production. My gynae also prescribed me and it also helped (but not as much as my SIL described). Different reaction for different pp. But no harm trying.

Fenugreek is a herb - nowadays you can find it in pill form or mixed with other herbs in a tea form. Momsinmind website sells fenugreek tea. You can probably also find the actual fenugreek herbs in little india. It is one of the herbs used very often in Indian dishes.

For me, I took the tea, plus the pill and at the same time, took lots of drinks and lots of soup (the papaya-fish soup is best but all kinds of soup/liquids are good). Cut down on caffeine and strong tastes if you think it helps.

Timing - If you dont try, you won't know. Every mother has different production so just try.

Alternating EBM and FM and breast and bottle. It took time and I was very worried like you. But just hang in there. Get help from your hubby or parents or inlaws or whoever. Dont paiseh and dont be possessive of your little one (BOY I felt so horrible (such a lousy mum) asking my SIL to feed my girl once, and I felt even worse when SIL got her to drink without fuss! [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif] But it helped baby, and that's what is important in the end) It's a process...a constantly changing continuing NOT-GUILT FREE process for us mummies.

AGain, you have already given your boy a good head start with 2 months of BM. Give yourself a pat.

Whether to express when working. Again only you can decide.

This is my experience. My office also no nursing or private room to use. I expressed in the toilet. What to do. In fact, if you do it carefully, I think it was more hygenic than in an office room. My toilet is quite clean. The management has sanitizer and disinfectant spray in every cubicle for us to use. There is always tissue on demand [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif] and a sink as well to wash up immediately. Its just whether or not you want to do it. If you do, please please IGNORE all the horrified comments from all the busybodies. Singaporeans are "soooo clean" when it's somebody elses' business... Anyway, I expressed in the toilet for 6 months plus, and my girl is fine.

It may help to talk to your boss or colleagues to tell them that you need to take time out 1/2 or so to express. I started by expressing 3 times a day, then dropped down to 2 and then 1 in the 7-8 month when baby was on half FM, half BM and solids.

Feeding on at night without pumping during the day - you are right, production will definitely drop.

Whatever you decide, most importantly, dont stress. If can can, if cannot cannot. You already did a good job. Baby needs a happy mummy more than a stressed out breast milk obsessed mummy [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif]

Good luck k.

Thanks for your advice, Sunny.

All these information are useful to me and make me feel not alone...

only my mother and mil can manage to feed my baby and the problem is i don't live with them.. my mil ask me to let my 24 yrs old maid with no experience in baby to try. i don't dare as she only carry my baby for a few times only and i feel that if she manage to feed her, i will be disappoint with myself.. but maybe i should let her try.. coz its better than baby not feeding..

I will go get my pills first and try to increase my milk production.. thanks once again...

hey, do let your maid try. Think positive - It's not that you are not a good mum. In fact it's the opposite! You are too good and your milk is too delicious [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif] That's why your bb doesn't want to give it up! [IMG=http://www.singaporemotherhood.com/forumboard/clipart/happy.gif] He's trying to make you feel guilty ! haha! what a clever boy :D

Hi,

Just to add to what sunny72 said.

I breastfed my son for 2 years and I stopped because I am pregnant with my second one and my milk supply dropped drastically. I only let him latch on for the first 3 months. Subsequently, I just pumped. I pumped everywhere!! On my car, in toilets of hotels when I atttend wedding dinners, in toilets of shopping centres when nursing rooms are not available...etc. My son survived without a single bout of food poisoning for the 2 years that he had breastmilk. Don't worry so much about whether you have enough or not. The more stressed up you are, the less milk you produce. The important thing is to come up with a plan before you go back to work like where you want to pump, how often you want to pump and so on and be disciplined to follow through. If it doesn't work out, then you can tell yourelf that you have done your best.

Like sunny72 said, breastmilk is good but not the only thing that a child needs. Your son needs a happy and relaxed mum to nuture and love him. I think that is so much more important than breastmilk.

All the best to you in your decision and plans!

hi last time with my first one, i also pumped in the office toilet. 3 times per day, but when busy, only 2 times. My colleague all stopped BF because they don't think it is possible to do so in toilets. They all say so unhygienic but I kept quiet and persisted for a year. Just very careful with every step e.g. lay paper on the surface, wash my hands, use tissue to hold handles etc.

No problem of poisoning. So if there is a will, there is a way.

Back