What to buy for new born?

Hi
I've this list from my colleague;I gave birth in Oct last yr..However, not all i use; like the bath mat.Bt the rest are useful..Just a guide though.Hope to help! Oh, btw, there's this shop at Upper Cross St Blk 34 (beside OG Chinatown), Cheong Choon.Cheaper than outside.You can buy toiletries somewhere there too.Very convenient.I heard of Baby Kingdom and Baby Hypermart too but didn't go there as it's quite far from my plc though I drive.Oh ya.Kidzloft too!www.kidzloft.com..Happy shopping!<center><table border=1><tr><td>
mime_msword.gif

BB n MM .doc (27.6 k)</td></tr></table></center>

Hey.Got this info that they're hvg sale til 21 Feb.
http://www.kidzloft.com
Blk 6, 154 Tagore Lane
Singapore 787567

Tel: 6333-6002
Fax : 6556-0980
Opening Hours: Monday to Saturday, 11am to 5pm
(closed on public holidays, including Sunday)

Thanks for the reply, beezewax! I am only 15 weeks pregnant so my hubby said it is too early for us to buy any baby stuffs since we don't even know our baby's gender. But I want to plan early and find shop that sells quality baby stuffs instead of going to shops like kiddy palace to buy.

How often does kidzloft have sales? I realised the socks there is the same as the one they sell in kiddy palace but half the price!!! Does shops in chinatown sells baby clothes even cheaper?

By the way, for socks like this ( http://www.kidzloft.com/images/large/GoldBug/GB-85156_7_LRG.jpg ) is it too hot/warm for baby's feet during day time? or should I just buy this type ( http://www.kidzloft.com/images/large/GoldBug/GB-58946_LRG.jpg )?

How many shirt, pants, one piece sleep wear did you bought for your baby? I know ppl who bought a lot and in the end on baby's first month celebration, friends &amp; relatives gave them more!!

For baby's clothes, the size between 0 - 3 months and 3 - 6 months is not that big of a difference. Is it wise to just purchase 3 - 6 months clothes?

If baby stays in aircon room (like 20 - 25 degree celcius), is the cloth diaper still good for baby as a blanket during day time?

Thanks!! =)

Hi,
Cheong Choon doesnt have much bb clothes but u can pretty much get the rest of the stuff there, like bb wipes, diaper cream, shampoo, steriliser. maternity pads etc etc. Ask her to recommend the cloth diaper (I cant rem the brand) coz my confinement lady says it's bigger than other brands like pigeon so it's better for swaddling. For big ticket items like strollers, u have to chk out the models at dept stores, then ask her for their price. They carry common brands like combi, maclaren..

For cheap clothing, u can go to the shop opp Fu Lu Shou temple. It's located behind the toilet. It's a wholesaler, so u can get clothings at 4 or 6 pieces for $10. Only one design for newborns thou (with the "I love mum" logo) but they are good for homewear. Baby towels, mittens set also available there. The socks in your link are quite warm imo, can keep when bringing bb out to shopping malls. Dont buy too much coz they outgrow really quickly.. the clothes I bought, my boy only wore like once or twice nia =(

My boy also zz in aircon. the cloth diaper is good enuff as a swaddle blanket. else u can buy blankets from Fox during sale time, can get good buys..

Hope this helps!

No prob!I'm as excited as u when I found out I was preggy!
I find that Kiddy Palace is expensive.However,I sign up for their membership.At least can get 10%
happy.gif

For the socks, i let my daughter wear both.So far it's ok for her.

As I've got handowns clothes, I didn't buy much cos baby do grow very fast!I bought at least 3 pairs for day wear and 3 pairs for night wear.True!I've got lotsa gifts which didn't use at all!Advice is,dun buy so much.It's tempting esp if this is ur 1st baby but control.Hehe.

Depends on the size of ur baby;smaller babies need 0-3mths clothes better but dun buy too much.I only bought 3pairs cos my baby was 3.71kg when she's born.I bought more of the 3-6mths cos they last longer.Kids Mall at IMM Jrg also hv nice and cheap sleepwear.I think neighbourhood stores do sell too_Oh ya.John Little too
happy.gif
Happy recce ard!

As I don't allow my baby to sleep in aircon, nt sure if the cloth diaper is good.Hmm.. I've got an auntie who works at the hospital.The doctor mentioned to her that try not to let baby sleeps in aircon as this can cause water retention in baby's lungs.I don't wanna take the risk.If really hot,I'll on aircon for half hr then off it.

Cindy >> Thanks! Glad to hear that they sell combi stroller there. Both my hubby and I like combi brand most. Cos of the cushion bah. Feels quite nice when we touch, although not sure how will baby thinks. haha.

Is the Fu Lu Shou temple you mentioned near bugis?
----------
beezewax >> Yeah! I am really tempted to buy those clothes I saw in kiddy palace. lol It is like so cute lor. But I really have no idea how many clothes/pants baby will wear a day for the first month. Cos I know there might be friends who will give clothes as gifts to us!

For the 3 pairs of 0-3mths clothes, it is like long shirt and long pants x3 each? But how many sets will baby wear a day for the first month? I read that first month baby should be swaddle most of the time.

Well, baby will be sleeping with me cos now I don't think I will hire confinement nanny (will only order confinement food to save cost). But then I heard for the first month, I cannot on fan/window. I donno how I can survive without aircon wor!

Hi sumire,

I can give you vaguely off-hand some of the things you can buy first. Like me, i did not want to buy things too last minute or really wait to know the gender, too kiasu in my case. So i bought some new-born 0-3 months unisex coloured clothings for my baby, bathing towels, bath tub, tummy binder (optional), pacifiers (optional), milk bottles, the teats as well, steriliser, nail clipper, milk powder canisters for outings, diaper bag, bath power containers, ru yi oil, new born diapers, wet wipes or cotton wool for their stools, lots of napkins for their feeding, booties and mittens, face towels, hooded towels etc...

=) Thanks Zolldoll!

Can Ru yi oil be applied during first month of new born?

Haha, yeah I am thinking of buying unisex coloured clothings for my baby also. Incase in a few years time for our 2nd baby.

I search on the web and found this 2 address. Are the address correct? It is located in industrial park... Do they do retail?

Baby kingdom - 83 Kaki Bukit Ave 1 #01-00 Shun Li industrial park
Baby Hypermart - 69 Kaki Bukit Ave 1 Shun Li Industrial Park

Question time!

Q1. Anyone have any suggestion for Avent newborn kit? Is the kit good?

Q2. Which brand of bathing towels,face towels and hooded towels did you get? For towels,is 100% cotton the best?

Q3. How many packs of diapers should I get for the first month? How many diapers in 1 packet? Which brand is the best absorbent/doesn't irritating baby's skin?

yeap, it's the one at Bugis. with ur back facing the temple entrance, walk towards the row of medical shops n turn left. Shop behind the toilet. Nothing fanciful ah.. really cheap basic stuffs. I got my bb bath towels, mittens set, napkins there. As for diapers, dun stock up too many as u may need to try diff brands depending on ur bb etc my boy got mild nappy rash from Nepia so I gotta switch brand. Nw using Goo.N but it's getting ex with the price increase. Also depending on e size of ur bb, u can start with a pack of newborn, then change to size S accordingly =)

Hi, ru yi oil can be applied. But for a start i did not as i did not start bathing my son for the first 2 weeks, just cleaning him only. Once i started bathing him, i applied the oil. I used Avent, but i did not buy the newborn kits. Rather, i just buy a few of the smallest bottles, if not wrong is bout 120ml. For towels, i was not so particular so i just bought the softer ones, no particular brands. And diapers, i used sealer or pet pet for a start. Cos you can use so many diapers in a day, sometimes the minute you change, your baby will poo poo again and you gotta change so very waste of money. Because they will not be using that same diaper for long, so it is still ok. If you use very good brands like mamy poko, heart will be painful each time you throw a diaper away. I used quite a few packs in a month that time, or dunno is it my son poo poo too much last time. ha ha..

Hi again!
For my baby, 1 short sleeve and pants in the day and in the evening, 1 long sleeve and pants..It's better to swaddle them.I change her twice per day.

About the fan/window issue..hmm. So far myself n cuz let babies sleep in fan. But make sure the fan not like helicopter!Esp when bathing,close the windows/fan.When putting on clothes also close windows/fan.

I didn't use Avent stuff.I used NUK.My friends said Pigeon is good.I feel it's up to indi.Not particular bout towels.I got mine at kiddy p.Robinsons also have nice and soft towels.I didn't get any hooded towels.

For NB diapers, it depends on the size of ur baby.For mine, I used 2 small packs of NB Huggies Ultra(24pcs).Then change to S Huggies Ultra but change to Fitti 360 Comfort.IMO, quality same as Huggies Ultra.Oh.Cheaper too
happy.gif
I tried Goo.N but not good in absorbence.NB Pampers is good too but i feel S Pampers not good.Just my opinion though.It's a trial and error process!Oh.Pls buy nappy rash cream too.I'm using Drapolene and it's great and cheap too!So far so good!

Hope this helps and give u vague idea!

Thanks for the helps! beezewax,Cindy,Zolldoll.

Cindy : For the newborn diapers, do I buy a pack with like 72 pieces inside? Or is it too many?
---------

Zolldoll : Cleaning only is like use warm wet bath towels to wipe the newborn's body? OMG... a few packs a month. I was thinking of getting pampers and mamy poko to try. Read from a book I got that newborn only wet 6 diapers!! Guess they never include the poo. *Faint*

I heard some brand have plastic material near the thigh area and some baby's skin got irritated/cut by them.
----------

beezewax: Do you bath your girl twice a day? What about during first month? Actually how do you bath her in the room? Wouldn't your room be splash with water? I was wondering how to apply baby soap while holding baby and if I should get 2 bath tubs! One tub of water for getting rid of the soap, the other to confirm totally no soap left on baby's skin. I will only start my class to learn how to handle newborn around May!

Does huggies/fitti diapers irritate/cut your baby's skin? I got a small tube of nappy rash cream when I sign up FBI at TMC. Forgot the brand name already - sea something. haha

This is a checklist i got from a friend of mine. Hope it's useful.

Checklist for first-time mums
hope this is useful, esp for all mums-to-be

Checklist of Purchases

Baby’s Room
Baby Cot
Musical mobiles/ Merry-go-round
Mattress (3" or 4")
Blanket
Bumper
Pillow/bolster case
Bedsheets
Mattress protector
Changing table (optional)
Cupboard/Chest of Drawers

Clothes for baby
Mittens/Bootees
Cloth Diapers (Can also be use to wrap baby)
Nappy liners
Blouse/shirts - long and short sleeves
Suits - pants and long shirts
Rompers
Handkerchiefs (get plenty of them)
Face towels
PILCHERS (pants worn over nappies)

Baby bathing
Baby wipes
Bath tub
Anti-slip mat
Changing mat
Rubber mat
Bath towel
Bath sponge (optional, small cotton handkerchief would suffice)
Baby soap/bath lotion
Baby shampoo
Baby oil
Cotton buds
Baby powder with puff

Laundry for Baby Clothes
Buckets with lids
Basket for baby laundry
Nappy/clothes detergent/softener
Clothes hanger for drying mittens/booties/handkerchiefs

Feeding Baby
Milk bottles (big+small) + teats
Bottle scrub brush
Warmer cum carrier bag
Thermometer (to use when baby is unwell)
Large pan/pot (for sterilising)
Tongs (to handle hot bottles)
Electric Steam Steriliser (Pigeon/Avent)
Milk containers
Bags/milk bottles to store expressed breastmilk

Misc
Safety pins
Pacifiers
Thermometer (Check room temperature)
Nail clippers
Anti-nappy rash cream (Drapolene)
Oil for wind (Ru Yi or ‘White Tree Oil’)
Ziplock bags for checkups and outings.
Woodward’s Gripe Water
Sterile thermoplastic tray with swabs &amp; swabsticks
Polythene bag for soiled diapers
Dish/ container (to wash baby’s face)
Care of the Umbilical Cord Stump
Sterile swab applicators
Sterile cotton swabs
Sterile container for cord spirit
Cord spirit

Accessories
Playpen
Stair/door gates (If you want to separate your baby &amp; pets)
Rubber protectors for bedroom doors
Highchair
Walker
Bouncer
Stroller
Pram
Baby carrier
Car seats

Toys &amp; Playstuff
Rattle
Mirror
Baby gym

Mummy Care
Maternity Dress/top/bottom
Pyjamas with front opening for breast feeding
Breast pump
Anti Stretchmark creams
Nursing bras
Maternity bras
Nipple cream for crack nipples
Nursing pads
Disposible panties
Cotton panties (larger size when reach later stage of pregnancy)
Sanitary pads
Panty liners
Bedroom slippers
Painkillers (with doctors prescription only)

Other optional items
Plastic bowl/ container, 10-12 inch diameter for both baby and mother
Electrical HotFlask (autoboil), quick access to boiling water for formula milk
Thermoflask without autoboil, for mum’s drinking water
Claypot or double boil claypot for mum’s confinement soup
Claypot or earthenware for cooking pig’s trotters in ginger and black vinegar
2 pails for mum’s bathing and face cleansing.

Hi, yes just use warm water to clean them for a start. Cos they will smell very good and no sweat at all for a 2 weeks to a month. And for a start, too small to bath. Personal opinion lah. As for diapers, try sealer. It is good, cheap and really soft too.

Joanna

Thanks! Whoa thats a long list to get. @_@ Actually disposible panties is for what?

----
Zolldoll

:D Haha thanks! Now I am relieved! Cos I am very scared to bath baby with umbilical cord still attached lol though will clean the area but scared accidentally used too much strength and it drop off too early.

Do you apply any baby lotion to your baby's skin? If you do, when do you start doing it? After you realised baby's skin is dry?

Sure, will check out sealer brand. =) Haha i guess best is to buy smallest pack for per diaper brand to test and error. It will be a waste of money if bought too many initially then end up baby's skin gets irritated by the brand.

Hi Reira, 72 pieces nt many lah.. i used abt 3-4packs of newborn size for my 3.2kg bb till a mth old then I change to S size. Maybe also coz I abit clean freak, cant stand e pee smell, so will change quite frequently.. actually u shd chk wat's TMC's hospital bag has.. usually they have alot of diaper samples inside. u can try those within the first week then get ur hubby go out n buy lor.. lol

Re bath, I use california baby shampoo &amp; body wash. put a bit in the water for the bath since birth, no need to rinse off one. maybe u wanna try, got other brands also with no-rinse shampoo/body wash

oh, n i also buy disposable panties for the entire confinement mth so i dun have to worry abt washing stained undies from the lochia =P

Ya, always buy a few small packs of different then you can compare. I tried fitti, dryers, pureen, pampers, sealers and eq last time for a start. And i think sealer, fitti and pampers are ok. Don;t bother buying pureen cos it leaks. Some people like dryers, but not me either. As for the umbilical cord, you will be given a spirited liquid to clean and dry the area, and it will come off on its own. I still kept it, in a red ang pow. Some people told me it will bring your child closer to you, but i just kept it for memory purposes, cos i even kept all his hair that i shaved off during his full month. I did not dare apply any lotion on my son that time, and only did when he had slight rashes and his PD recommended a cream he saw in his clinic for my son.

hello..I bath my daughter in warm water in the tub only in the morning after 9am but before 10.30am.My mum said nt very gd to bath later.But in the evening bout 5.30pm-6pm,will just wipe her using cotton balls wif minimum baby soap in the water..I bath her in the kitchen, on the table top
happy.gif
Initially i got difficulty to apply soap on her but after 2-3 baths is fine.I'll put her head on my arm near the elbow and hold her armpit.Aiyah.Dun worry.TMC will show u
happy.gif
Oh, i'll have a glass of clean warm water to rinse her after she's out of the tub.

So far huggies ultra/fitti 360 is great for my daughter!But ultra is more exlah :p I change my bb every 4hrs.. sometimes forget 5hrs :p

Thanks mommies for answering my questions!!
---
Zolldoll

why do you have to shave off baby's hair on his full month? I've heard of mommies saying they shaved off baby's hair on full month but I never got the chance to ask why.

----
beezewax

For cotton ball, do I have to use specifically for baby? Like pigeon brand cotton ball. Or I can use normal towel (moist the towel) then clean? =D And, did you do that during the confinement month? I've heard of ppl that says cos they touch water during confinement month and now end up hands numb often!!

Headache! How can I don't wash my hands when I want to carry/breastfeed my baby!

------

Thanks again mommies!! :D

happy.gif
I used the ones from Watson's.It's soft; nt harsh like the ones i get frm medical halls.However,for the 1st mth, i used sterilize cotton balls only for the eyes.Can buy at pharmacy.I started using towel when she's after 3mths but didn't really rub cos skin still soft..hmm..i bath everyday and wash my hands all the time before preparing her milk..Hygiene is very important..But I bath with warm water in the morning but nt too late in the mrng. My mum said nt gd.Evening I just wipe myself.Like baby like dat lor.Haha.I think it's just a myth that if touch water, hands numb often..Hope this helps!

Hmm, good question. They do have some chinese sayings on this but i do not know anything bout that. All i know is they say shave off all the hair will have blacker, thicker fuller hair when they grow up. But once you shave off, for a start, the hair will grow out in patches, and it will take a long time even months for the hair to grow out so you must be mentally prepared.

beezewax

Do you have any experience any hand numbness so far? For bathing, you do use those chinese herbal bath during confinement month? Haha, I must go buy a few bucket so that I can use them to store those bathing water (dont have bath tub at home)

Zolldoll

I wonder if I should shave mine when he/she is 1 month old. I hate my hair sometimes cos they are thick/full! But then if don't shave, I'll be in trouble if end up dont have much hair *headache*

Ya, initially i did not want to shave my son's hair. But due to my mil and my own mum request, i went ahead. But i did it one day after his full month party, as i wanted my son to look good with hair on his party. It will grow out in patches for the first few months when it is growing back. But my son's hair is fuller, thicker now though i cannot confirm if it is due to the shaving.

Should be due to shaving. Cos I know that if example you shave your body hair, will grow out to be thicker.

I did that to myself when I was in primary sch cos the indian neighbour girl did that and I busybody went to follow. After that regret badly!! Atfirst no visible hair on my arms, now it is visible. >_<

Thanks, yukiko. Can epilator remove fine armpit hair? I tried to wax but realise some are not long enough to wax. =( Sometimes wearing sleeveless maternity now so a bit paiseh if still got hair.

Hi mummies,

The following items are for sale:

1) full set of the Medela Harmony pump (used only once) + Brand new (opened) membane valve (1pc) &amp; Brand new membranes (3 pcs) all selling at $50

2180827.jpg

2) Brand new valve &amp; membrane set selling at $28 (retail price ~$30)

2180828.jpg

3) NUK standard neck bottles without teats (Used only once)
- 4pcs x 125ml + 2pcs x 250ml selling at $40

2180829.jpg

Self collection at AMK or SengKang train station.

Interested please pm me.

Hi hi..
I don't experience hand numbness but wrist pain.Nt sure how to describe but usually after a sedentary period, to move my wrist is painful.Somewhere in 2008 forum mentions about wrist pain.Now still pain.Dunno what to do also..i don't use chinese herbal bath.. maybe due to i'm a malay.heh.i just use warm water and soap.Bath as normal.I've got chinese friends who used the herbal bath..I tink no harm if use herb bath since it's ur race practice
happy.gif

hahaha.. i guess ur toilet will be full of buckets!

It's when u sleep and don't move for quite sometime..then suddenly when u move,it's painful! Sigh. I really dunno what to do.Even now is painful..

what the bottle size to buy?
i saw avent bottles comes is 3 sizes....is the smallest size too small for feeding?
any recommendations?
happy.gif

thanks

smallest is ideal for newborns. new borns increase milk intake very fast so gd to start off with 90ml bottle.

as they grow bigger, can upgrade them to bigger bottles. i try to make sure there's not too much empty space in d bottle in case my baby sucks in too much air.

Hi All,
I'm Rina from Great Eastern Life. Do let me know if you need any help on medical or other insurance.

My advise is different ppl different need. Our job is to help you identify your need, if you need to compare, its our job. Cheers!!

Rina Ong
[email protected]

here are the list of items i got fr my frend with some of the recommended brands

baby cot
bedding set (2-3 sets)
changing table (optional)
mosquito net
waterproof mat

infant car seat
stroller
head support (optional)

baby bath (mustela/kodomo)
baby detergent (kodomo)
bottle cleanser (pigeon)
cotton balls (sterilised one for cleaning eyes)
cotton balls (normal ones for the bums)
baby oil
nail scissors
nasal aspirator
safety pin (if u use cloth diapers)
ruyi oil (to prevent wind)
baby diapers (pampers newborn, yellow packaging, after full mth can change cheaper brands)
bottle brush
teat brush
bottle tongs
baby wipes (pigeon)
feeding bottles (ard 4-6)
milk powder container
nappy rash cream (mustela/destini/drapolene)
sterilizer

bibs (3-5pcs)
mitten n botties (6-8 sets)
long pants (4-6 pcs)
rompers (4-6 pcs)
short sleeve shirt (4-6 pcs)
shorts (4-6 pcs)
baby hat (2-3 hats)
flannel cloth/diapers cloth (to swaddle baby)
hankerchiefs (8-10 pcs)

BEWARE - Treehouse Children's Decor at #02-47 Tangline Shopping Centre.

Furniture above $1K and salesgirl extremely rude!!!

Want to share with you that i went to this children furniture shop at Tanglin SC called Treehouse Children's Decor at #02-47 hoping to buy a toddler bed for my child. They also have cot bed. Saw their advertisement in a local magazine Living and decided to venture there.

I thot the children bed looked sturdy and asked for the price. The lady was very curt and loud when she replied me $1262 and acted as if she is selling a very expensive and high class bed. I gave the bed a good look over and mentioned that it is a little high for my girl but its becos the mattress is very thick and high. The salesgirl then retorted that this bed is not suitable for my girl as its for children over 3 years old.

I asked her what is the size of the mattress and she was very curt again in her reply "Its single size!" as if i am an idiot for asking such a stupid question.

She was rude throughout and seemed very impatient for me to leave. I asked her to write down the details and dimensions so that i can go back to measure and she immediately cut me off and loudly rattled the dimensions.

She say her brand is very famous from South Africa and been around for very long. But later on say the shop only 1 year old in SG. She acted as if i am an idiot for asking her so many questions. She ask me to go their website and read first... Hello i am in ur shop and you ask me to go website and read???

Her tone of voice is very unfriendly and she is not keen to sell anything in the shop.

My girl touched a standing mirror and she immediately told me not to let her touch it. My girl touched again and i told her "Don't touch, aunty angry..." to which the salesgirl immediately cut me off again and say "its not whether aunty angry but whether you know how to discipline your kid."

After that i couldn't take it anymore and told her off that her tone of voice and behaviour is very rude and she is not suited to be a salesgirl if she is so unwilling to answer questions. To which she retorted again "Complain loh!"

The SC is not child friendly and don't bother going to this shop becos its a total waste of effort and time.

Felt like i totally wasted my effort going there to check out the children furniture.

After i left the building, i bumped into an old friend who is pregnant with her 3rd child. She worked in the vicinity and had been into the same shop too. She told me that she left after going into the shop for 5 minutes becos the salesgirl was also very rude to her.

So if ur pregnant or have kids, don't bother with Treehouse Children's Decor. I am going to complain them to WDA and STB next for wasting my afternoon looking for them and getting such a lousy and unpleasant treatment.

I suspect the shop may be very 'ang moh' targeted. Somehow get the feel the shops at Tanglin are very geared towards them and probably serves them very differently, thinking ang mo richer and more spending power..

doolbydoo,

hv read ur blog, for breastmilk storage, the glass bottles r used for storing breastmilk? the cap u bought at pharmacy is it jz the bottle lid, not teat rite? r they universal size?

Hi jan jan,
Yes the glassbottle can be used to store breastmilk. I'm using medela teats and medela bottle lid. I also use the lid that i bought from Mt. A pharmacy.
As long as it's not the wide bottle neck like avent, should fit nicely.

Back