Week12 down syndrome test shows thick neck

Hi anyone care to share if they face similar problem.
Did OSCAR scan at 13 weeks. Results back as per below:
Nasal bone: 3mm
NT: 3.2mm
PAPP-A: 0.19MoM
hCG: 1.5 MoM
Trisomy 21 adjusted risk 1:4
Going for Amnio and CMA test plus PCR (fast results in 3 days) at KKH.

Hi there, i just got the OSCAR results this morning. Nasal bone 3.2mm and NT 3.43mm. My gynae recommended me to go through the Amnio procedure. But I think we may opt for NIPT instead as there is no risk of miscarriage. Did your gynae ask you to consider NIPT?

Hi there, i just got the OSCAR results this morning. Nasal bone 3.2mm and NT 3.43mm. My gynae recommended me to go through the Amnio procedure. But I think we may opt for NIPT instead as there is no risk of miscarriage. Did your gynae ask you to consider NIPT?
Hi there. We went through the Amnio and CMA test.
Total cost from KKH is $956 cash and $400+ Medisave.
We opt for fast result on Trisomy 21/18/13 and it came back the next day saying our baby is fine and have low risk of all three trisomy. And then they proceeded to do CMA test to check more details.
Thank god that CMA is fine too and now we are awaiting detailed scan next week.
My Gynae advised us to go do amnio which is more accurate and can decide the next step quickly.
We went to KKH and realized that we are not the only one there and seems like many people are there for the same test.

Hi there. We went through the Amnio and CMA test.
Total cost from KKH is $956 cash and $400+ Medisave.
We opt for fast result on Trisomy 21/18/13 and it came back the next day saying our baby is fine and have low risk of all three trisomy. And then they proceeded to do CMA test to check more details.
Thank god that CMA is fine too and now we are awaiting detailed scan next week.
My Gynae advised us to go do amnio which is more accurate and can decide the next step quickly.
We went to KKH and realized that we are not the only one there and seems like many people are there for the same test.

Glad that the results are all good. Thank you for sharing. I realise reading the threads here that OSCAR results just gives you false positives and unnecessary stress and paranoia. Hope the rest of your pregnancy journey will be smooth! :)

Glad that the results are all good. Thank you for sharing. I realise reading the threads here that OSCAR results just gives you false positives and unnecessary stress and paranoia. Hope the rest of your pregnancy journey will be smooth! :)
Thanks. And I hope yours will be smooth too.
We went to quite a few temple to pray during this period.
When we went back to our Gynae the baby neck return to normal level of 1.7mm. Not sure what happen so don’t worry too much. Keep in contact if you need any advise.

I just came out of the NT scan which shows 3.2mm at 11w 4d, and risk for Trisomy 21 is 1:5! I am worried sick and burst out crying the moment I reached home. This is my second pregnancy, my first pregnancy was smooth and NT was normal. I am 40 yo and now waiting to see my gynae in 2 days for his advice. In the meantime, really anxious and worried.
Did everything workout? I'm 38 and pregnant, found out thick neck today I'm scared out of my mind!

Did everything workout? I'm 38 and pregnant, found out thick neck today I'm scared out of my mind!
Hi Macfam, I went for a Panorama Test thereafter and was cleared. Eventually I gave birth to a healthy baby boy in May 2020. What I can tell you is Oscar or NT results give false positives, so do not worry about it and proceed to do further tests as recommend by your gynae. My boy is already 14 months old now, and is an active and happy boy.

Hi Macfam, I went for a Panorama Test thereafter and was cleared. Eventually I gave birth to a healthy baby boy in May 2020. What I can tell you is Oscar or NT results give false positives, so do not worry about it and proceed to do further tests as recommend by your gynae. My boy is already 14 months old now, and is an active and happy boy.
Thank you I'm waiting for results now. It's is nerve racking. I am scared if it have a defect I can't give it what it need at my age to take care of it. I'm 38

Yes I totally understand. Did they see the baby's nasal bone? And what is the NT thickness?

Thank you I'm waiting for results now. It's is nerve racking. I am scared if it have a defect I can't give it what it need at my age to take care of it. I'm 38

I remember my doc told me OSCAR accuracy is 92%, while Panaroma and Harmony test accuracy is 99%. I chose the Panaroma test in a heartbeat.

Misleading statistics. Accuracy 7% difference doesn't seem large right? But this is the wrong stat to look at. Let me explain.

Accuracy is basically how often the test is gets the answer right. But a test can have a high accuracy rate and still have sky high false positive rate. Let me show you.

Imagine if a disease is super rare, say 1 in 100,000.

You can have a test that when done on 100,000 cases it says

A) "ok", 92,000 times and its right 91,999 times, wrong once
B) "not okay" , 8000 times and it's right 1 time, and wrong 7,999 times.

Accuracy is (91, 999+1)/100,000 =92%. Aka out of the 100,000 who test, and 92% get the right result. Sounds good!

However notice if you are told by the test you are "not okay" (you are one of the 8,000) how scared should you be? Believe it or or not in this scenario you should still be extremely optimistic as you are still extremely unlikely to have the disease

Why? Because of the 8,000 times the test says "not okay", but it is right only once.

That's a false positive and rate of 7999/8000! Or chances you really have the disease to is still only 1 out of 8,000. Still very good odds.

Essentially for conditions that are extremely rare like genetic disorders, a test is can be very "accurate" and still have very poor false positive effects rate because it is so rare to occur.

This is basically what is happening here with the Oscar test

Things like Harmony etc are not only accurate they have high sensitivity and high specificity rates or low false negative and low false positive

Eg https://www.nipt.se/performance/ states the harmony test has a sensitivity and specificity of 99.5% to 99.9%, means the false positive of rare is 0.5 to 0.1%

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Hello Isabel, just wondering if you went for amniocentesis? Or how about heart scan? Thanks.

Back