Week12 down syndrome test shows thick neck

Hi Kaceey, It was 2.8mm yesterday. I'm at 12w5d. Currently waiting for blood test results to be out. Is yours recently?

Hi Kaceey, It was 2.8mm yesterday. I'm at 12w5d. Currently waiting for blood test results to be out. Is yours recently?

No. My son is 14 mths now. Dnt worry too much, sg cut off is 2.5mm but some countries cut off for this is 3.0mm.

We can see the nasal bone, it's there. But the way they told us is so scary... Felt so lost after that.

We can see the nasal bone, it's there. But the way they told us is so scary... Felt so lost after that.

Kkh asked us to go back for a heart scan around 15 weeks. After that they follow up with the 20 week scan. Both results were good , so they dropped the case.

Ya I've the appts too... Were u under private or subsidised? How's the rate for the heart scan at 15 weeks? Do u remember?

Mine was 3.1 at 13 week with 71 mm baby size, my gynae was super calm said still normal. Later NIPT igene came all low risk genetic healthy baby boy. I also was very worried google non stop, all said below 3,5 consider Ok.

Hi Alishablond, Ya I kept Google and Google the moment I stepped out of the clinic. I've nt seen my gynae yet and is waiting for the blood test results. 71mm baby size is the length u mean?

Hi Alishablond, Ya I kept Google and Google the moment I stepped out of the clinic. I've nt seen my gynae yet and is waiting for the blood test results. 71mm baby size is the length u mean?
Yes the length. What did they say, will call you inform about the blood result or you find it out at another appointment?
I know that Oscar is ready same day normally, I believe if something wrong they call very fast to come down for future testing.

Ya. If high risk they will call me. If low risk they will drop me a text. About 3 days. But day 1 is already killing me. Kkh encourage all to do the fts test first. Instead of others more detailed scan.. That's why.

Mine was 3.1 at 13 week with 71 mm baby size, my gynae was super calm said still normal. Later NIPT igene came all low risk genetic healthy baby boy. I also was very worried google non stop, all said below 3,5 consider Ok.
Where did u give nipt test ? N cost for it ?

I just came out of the NT scan which shows 3.2mm at 11w 4d, and risk for Trisomy 21 is 1:5! I am worried sick and burst out crying the moment I reached home. This is my second pregnancy, my first pregnancy was smooth and NT was normal. I am 40 yo and now waiting to see my gynae in 2 days for his advice. In the meantime, really anxious and worried.

I just came out of the NT scan which shows 3.2mm at 11w 4d, and risk for Trisomy 21 is 1:5! I am worried sick and burst out crying the moment I reached home. This is my second pregnancy, my first pregnancy was smooth and NT was normal. I am 40 yo and now waiting to see my gynae in 2 days for his advice. In the meantime, really anxious and worried.
That time mine also neck thickness 3.1mm,and show high risk for ds, but nose bridge is found. I did amnio test it shows normal, baby born also normal..

NT scan and NIPT are all screening test. They should not b used to determine a final result. Please do amnio to confirm the result before making any decision..

Hi Alisha, I’m thinking of doing Igene test at NUH too, can check urs $800 is under private or subsidised rate? And also how long does the result will be out? Thanks!
Under private. I found the result in 2 weeks time on my following appointment. My doc said they call if the result is positive, if all low risk they don’t call.

Under private. I found the result in 2 weeks time on my following appointment. My doc said they call if the result is positive, if all low risk they don’t call.
Oh ok, may I know how many weeks are u when u doing the test? I heard that the test can be done as early as week 10 onwards

Oh ok, may I know how many weeks are u when u doing the test? I heard that the test can be done as early as week 10 onwards
I did at 13 weeks, fetal fraction was 8%, minimum should be 4%. So if you do too early, can be not enough of fraction.

NT scan and NIPT are all screening test. They should not b used to determine a final result. Please do amnio to confirm the result before making any decision..
to add on these are particularly inaccurate screening test.

I dont know why peoole dont just do harmony or paranorma test straight away. Far less false alarms.

particularly those over 35 should NEVER do NIPT since they adjust based on age, almost every result will be high risk.

Sure they are more ex but most people suffer far more from false alarms.

and many end up paying twice anyway

to add on these are particularly inaccurate screening test.

I dont know why peoole dont just do harmony or paranorma test straight away. Far less false alarms.

particularly those over 35 should NEVER do NIPT since they adjust based on age, almost every result will be high risk.

Sure they are more ex but most people suffer far more from false alarms.

and many end up paying twice anyway
Isn't NIPT the same as the Harmony test?

Hi mommies here, would like to check. My wife is 36 this year and this is our 1st baby. Going to 10wk when we go for our 1st appointment in next 2 week. So shall we just choose the NIPT test straight away instead of the OSCAR test? And anyone here know how much the test cost at KKH under private? coz wife is foreigner, so she can only do under private rate.
Thanks in advance.

Hi mommies here, would like to check. My wife is 36 this year and this is our 1st baby. Going to 10wk when we go for our 1st appointment in next 2 week. So shall we just choose the NIPT test straight away instead of the OSCAR test? And anyone here know how much the test cost at KKH under private? coz wife is foreigner, so she can only do under private rate.
Thanks in advance.
Private NIPT at KKH i.e. the Harmony test is about $700 plus + additional 7% GST. I'm not sure though if KKH allows skipping of "OSCAR", which they refer to as the FTS - first trimester screening. When I did my tests recently, they asked if I wanted to do FTS and Harmony. I did both tests.

Private NIPT at KKH i.e. the Harmony test is about $700 plus + additional 7% GST. I'm not sure though if KKH allows skipping of "OSCAR", which they refer to as the FTS - first trimester screening. When I did my tests recently, they asked if I wanted to do FTS and Harmony. I did both tests.
Oh..... meaning no way to skip the OSCAR test and save the $300+

Harmony only blood test no screening or scan that why oscar test is added to do scan for bb organ . If u skip for that mean only blood test then how to scan for bb abnormality unless u hv to wait for 20 week detailed scan

I find the peace of mind is worth the extra money. With the FTS ultrasound, I could see the baby's body parts, organs etc, and worth the peace to know everything is developing well.

I skipped FTS as a private patient in KKH in end 2017. Went straight to Harmony test ($800) as I was 33yo and thought Oscar gonna be inaccurate for me and inaccurate for twins. The results came back low risk but I really regret not taking the scan because at least the scan could show both of their nose bridge etc and give me a peace of mind. I ended up waiting till detailed scan at 20th wk and keep asking the sonographer is everything ok with the neck width, nose bridge.

So this round I’m gg to go for the FTS and if it’s high risk then I’ll pay for the additional NIPTs.

But yes, it’s possible to skip FTS and go straight to harmony test at KKH.

Oh.... many thanks to all the mommies here given the advice..... ya, may be i shall see what’s the gynae recommendation. By the way , I m choosing a female gynae called Dr.Qi Maili. Hope my wife is comfortable with her.

I skipped FTS as a private patient in KKH in end 2017. Went straight to Harmony test ($800) as I was 33yo and thought Oscar gonna be inaccurate for me and inaccurate for twins. The results came back low risk but I really regret not taking the scan because at least the scan could show both of their nose bridge etc and give me a peace of mind. I ended up waiting till detailed scan at 20th wk and keep asking the sonographer is everything ok with the neck width, nose bridge.

So this round I’m gg to go for the FTS and if it’s high risk then I’ll pay for the additional NIPTs.

But yes, it’s possible to skip FTS and go straight to harmony test at KKH.

Yep skipped to Harmony here too. Then did detailed scan at 20.

Doing both is fine too if money is not a problem just dont freak out if the Oscar results isnt good. From what I see, most mothers will freak out and to avoid that is priceless

I find the peace of mind is worth the extra money. With the FTS ultrasound, I could see the baby's body parts, organs etc, and worth the peace to know everything is developing well.

Well except if the OSCAR unnecessarily scares you something might be wrong., there goes your peace of mind..unless you the type or mother that can avoid worrying about that.

I remember my doc told me OSCAR accuracy is 92%, while Panaroma and Harmony test accuracy is 99%. I chose the Panaroma test in a heartbeat.

Just received sms from KKH and arranging appointment for today going for blood test ( I believe is for the NIPT). And also received another sms from them and scheduling another appointment on 27/12(by the time, I believed my baby is around 12-13wks), so I Guess this 27/12 appointment is for the NT scan.
so may I know when can I get to know the NT scan result ? Can know on the spot ? Or may Be can get to know the NIPT test results on the day of NT scan as well?

hi all mommies, just to update and share my opinion,
Not sure am i correct or not but i just went to KKH yesterday to attend the appointment for DS test.
At 1st, some one will explain to you what is FTS ($480) & NIPT ($1050). In this FTS, its include blood test + NT scan, for NIPT, is only blood test. So i ask her can i choose to do NIPT + NT scan? then she reply me that if i want to have the NT scan while doing NIPT, then i got to choose the FST + NIPT together, seems like they do not have a individual NT scan package:rolleyes:.... meaning to say, i got to pay $480+$1050 ( havent include the GST yet) for the whole DS test if i want to......(a bit tight on our financial as wife not working)..

At the end, i just choose to do the NIPT only... (if want the NT scan (under the FTS package), then need to go back on next friday appointment to do coz now only wk 10, cant do the NT scan also).....

And i also got ask her, how if NT scan showing neck thickness over size (touch wood) but NIPT result showing all low risk? Then she said either wait for wk15 or wk16 to do the amniocentesis or wait for wk20 and do the detail scan.
But my point is, since NIPT showing low risk, then what for still want to go for amnio? And Amnio having risk of miscarriage also.........

or may be i change another scenario. A lady go for FTS only, but somehow she got a low risk or high risk in blood test result and NT scan also showing neck thickness oversize, so she choose to do a further test like NIPT. And at the end NIPT result come back and showing all low risk, so what she need to do next? Wait for wk 15-16 do the amnio test or just wait till wk 20 and do the detail scan?

really quite confuse......

by the way, the bill for yesterday is $65(lab investigation, not sure what charge is this, but i m wondering is it the charges for the DS test explanation just now?) + $975 (NIPT) + $227.50 (antenatal profile blood test) = total $1356.23

Last edited:
Just received sms from KKH and arranging appointment for today going for blood test ( I believe is for the NIPT). And also received another sms from them and scheduling another appointment on 27/12(by the time, I believed my baby is around 12-13wks), so I Guess this 27/12 appointment is for the NT scan.
so may I know when can I get to know the NT scan result ? Can know on the spot ? Or may Be can get to know the NIPT test results on the day of NT scan as well?

I was scheduled for blood test a week earlier than the NT scan. They probably want you to go for blood test for both Harmony and Oscar on the same day, and NT scan one week later as the blood test results will be out by then for the Oscar part. I remember for Harmony it took them 2 weeks in 2017.

I actually rescheduled my Oscar blood test and requested to do it same day as my NT scan. The nurse just informed me that blood test can come any day actually but if I schedule same day as NT scan I won’t know the final Oscar results because it takes 3 days for the BT results to come back. But the NT scan is same day will know. On the spot scanning you will see the measurements on screen (I was looking out for the neck width) as sonographer will tell you ok now I’m scanning xx, now I’m scanning gg etc. But you will be asked to go outside and wait for the doctor to explain to you the scan results. Waited for like less than 10 minutes I think. After that I was told to go home and wait for the BT results, if it’s high risk moderate risk they will call. However I believe I will have to wait till my next gynea appt then will know the conclusive results. So if you do it a week apart I believe the doc will on the spot tell you the overall Oscar result. Harmony should be 2 weeks later so maybe on your next gynea visit?

I was scheduled for blood test a week earlier than the NT scan. They probably want you to go for blood test for both Harmony and Oscar on the same day, and NT scan one week later as the blood test results will be out by then for the Oscar part. I remember for Harmony it took them 2 weeks in 2017.

I actually rescheduled my Oscar blood test and requested to do it same day as my NT scan. The nurse just informed me that blood test can come any day actually but if I schedule same day as NT scan I won’t know the final Oscar results because it takes 3 days for the BT results to come back. But the NT scan is same day will know. On the spot scanning you will see the measurements on screen (I was looking out for the neck width) as sonographer will tell you ok now I’m scanning xx, now I’m scanning gg etc. But you will be asked to go outside and wait for the doctor to explain to you the scan results. Waited for like less than 10 minutes I think. After that I was told to go home and wait for the BT results, if it’s high risk moderate risk they will call. However I believe I will have to wait till my next gynea appt then will know the conclusive results. So if you do it a week apart I believe the doc will on the spot tell you the overall Oscar result. Harmony should be 2 weeks later so maybe on your next gynea visit?
Thanks for your explanation, Penguiny

Hi, I just got a called from kkh, stating that my blood test results shows 1:88 high risk. And my NT results is 3.5mm. I am so devastated now

Hi Xiaobaihu,
Don't worry too much about it. My risk was 1:4 and my baby's neck thickness was 3.2mm. My gynae then told me he won't worry so much if it's 3.5mm and below. I proceeded to do a Panorama test and was cleared. Oscar test and neck thickness always give false positives, KKH would likely recommend you to go for NIPT or other tests next. FYI, I have just given birth to a healthy baby boy in May despite the initial high risk and neck thickness.

Kkh asked us to go back for a heart scan around 15 weeks. After that they follow up with the 20 week scan. Both results were good , so they dropped the case.
Hi kaceey,
Can I ask u.. after your 15 weeks scan did the doctor still advise u to go for amnio test to test for noonan syndrome? I was advise to do so, however my 15 weeks scan on the heart is fine

Hi Xiaobaihu,
Don't worry too much about it. My risk was 1:4 and my baby's neck thickness was 3.2mm. My gynae then told me he won't worry so much if it's 3.5mm and below. I proceeded to do a Panorama test and was cleared. Oscar test and neck thickness always give false positives, KKH would likely recommend you to go for NIPT or other tests next. FYI, I have just given birth to a healthy baby boy in May despite the initial high risk and neck thickness.

Hi Xiaobaihu,
Hi, I have very bad Oscar results, 2.9mm and no NB. now am waiting for harmony results to be out. Can’t stop worrying n wanted to check when your gynae mentioned don’t worry that it’s 3.5mm n below, he/she went through results with you to give second opinion besides the genetic counselor? I’m looking for hope for my baby.

Hi, I have very bad Oscar results, 2.9mm and no NB. now am waiting for harmony results to be out. Can’t stop worrying n wanted to check when your gynae mentioned don’t worry that it’s 3.5mm n below, he/she went through results with you to give second opinion besides the genetic counselor? I’m looking for hope for my baby.
Hi, my doc said he is normally not so worried when NT is less than 3.5mm and nasal bridge is seen. I know it's very hard not to be worried. Nevertheless, it's best to wait for the harmony results to be out.

Hi Xiaobaihu,

Hi anyone care to share if they face similar problem.
Did OSCAR scan at 13 weeks. Results back as per below:
Nasal bone: 3mm
NT: 3.2mm
PAPP-A: 0.19MoM
hCG: 1.5 MoM
Trisomy 21 adjusted risk 1:4
Going for Amnio and CMA test plus PCR (fast results in 3 days) at KKH.

Back