very little breast milk

hi Cater,

Wondering if you've been pumping once in 3-4 hours, then how you bf ur bb ? Mean cos u said you add EBM to complement the BM. My bb drink ard that interval so if I pump with that interval, no proper BM when bb latch on. any suggstion how to do this ?

thanks Maureen! will do so. Sore nipples is the main deterrent...will bear with it though.

For the mummies out there who is trying to increase milk supply, i just started my malay massage and immediately after the massage, the milk flow increase dramatically. The 1st pump after the massage yield 150% more (from 30ml to 75ml).

This last only 1 pump but i am at least convinced that I can breakthrough the 50ml ceiling.

Does any other mummies have similar experience?

hi miow,

Actually your milk supply increase not becos of the massage but becos your blocked ducts have been released or loosen by the massage. This is what Mrs Wong BB (lactation consultant fr Parent Craft TMC) told me b4. So for new mothers, b4 you feed, always massage your own breasts with a warm towel and you will yield more milk.

Hello mummies

Happened to stumble on this thread. Just wanna share my experience and hope mummies who feel they do not hv enuf bm will be encouraged...

When i first started to express after discharge fr the hospital, i was literally pumping air and only few drops came out. not even 10 or 20ml. So little that the confinement nanny said if the milk was stored it would eventually evaporate!!

Despite having so little milk in the first few days, I was determined not to give up and cont to express. In the first 4 weeks I only latched bb abt 2-3 times a day as I was too tired and still hurting from the wound. (At that time, I do not know how to nurse lying down). Also, bb takes about 2 hrs to feed each time (she was suckling and also maybe not enuf milk coming out and slow flow)...

Now my bb is 10 wks old and I have managed to, thankfully, establish a good supply for her. She is now TBF. (thankfully she doesnt drink alot)

I find that altho the supplements may help, the key is to press on and express (if not latching bb) every 3 hrs when u wan to inc milk supply. It is important to express on time if you wan to increase milk supply. Now, i latch bb on every time she wants to drink now (every 3 hrly) and pump out the remaining milk after she is done with her feed. I find that this way, the milk supply increases.

For mummies who are unable to TBF, please dun feel guilty. Sometimes it is the bb who refuse the breast or are just not so good at latching on and from my personal experience, absence of latching will reduce milk ss. If so, then we are left with no choice but to supplement with FM, but it is imp to feed a formula which is hypoallergenic so as to reduce possibilities of allergies.

Cheers

Hi Mummies

My milk supply has reduced drastically in recent weeks, right now only 3oz produced every day for my 14mth old child. Think I can call it a day very soon, even though my ideal target is to bf till 2 yrs old. Am just going to continue expressing until there is no more yield.

For those still pressing on, jia you!

hi hazelsee

Your situation is the same as mine. My gal coming to 17 mths. Only able to pump 5 oz everyday. But I just tell myself to continue to the point where there is no more milk for her. Haha... Actually quite tiring.

Dear mommies...
Feel happy this morning so decided to share..
This morning my rite side feel bit painful to touch, never feel like this before so did the hot towel compress. It started dripping... For the 1st time I reached the limit 100 ml !!! Maybe for many of you it's not many but for me WOW.... !! I just hope this can continue and increasing for my bb supply though
happy.gif
persevere... hehehe

Hi mommies

Just to share..... my boy is 3 and a half mth.... and I have problems latching. Hence, I expressed my milk out and the supply is quite low. I was using Medela Mini E and I happen to change to manuel pump (avent) and my milk supply increases... guess is more efficient.

I guess some pumps readlly are more efficient and can yeild better supply... I am switching to Medela PIS as the feedback seems to be quite gd.

Looking forward to receiving my new pump and hope with increased frequency my supply could increase more... now is only 60ml each time (I pump only twice a day).

Hi Leona..
Thanks.... Am still taking all the supplemen recommended by ppl though. Even this time my gynae is going to participate hehehe... This monday going to collect the tablet that she said can increase BM. I thought better they stuffed me with all of the things as the trial rather than making bb the experiment..
happy.gif

since that time havent pump again cos bb been latching on.. IF i insist pumping after usually wont b much left :p

Hi mummies,

Read in some other forum that green leafy vegetables helps in milk supply, such as papaya leaves, etc. The thread also said to avoid long beans as it interrupts the milk supply. Not so sure how true though, good luck!

Linx,

I also tot there is nothing left after bb latch. But i was rather desperate to inc ss so I tried to pump even after bb latch leh, n ss DID increase ! Altho the first few times maybe a bit demoralising cos v little come out after bb feed, but for me the milk did gradually increase... ^_^

Normally I also pump at least one letdown after my baby has latch on, cos it seems like he often never empty the breasts.

Another way to increase is to latch on and pump at the same time.

ya, like maureen, i oso feel there is 'leftover' in the breast after bb latch.. but when i let bb latch after pump, oso got milk leh.. n i read dat pumping nvr empty the breast (will leave abt 30% in the breast) n becos bb suction is so strong bb can suck out the milk.
happy.gif

Breast Milk to Give Away

Hi. I have some 50 bottles of breast milk to give away. They were expressed in Aug and Sep when I'm trying to up my supply. I'm giving away as my freezer is full and my supply is established. Please contact me at 9878-8384 if you're interested.

Wah good one Leona n Maureen
I will try to pump also after latch on.. and yes as you said it's bit demoralizing... very in fact..
The tablet that doc give made me very drowsy... Can keep my eyes open.. After 3 times, decided to stop. otherwise how to take care of bb ??
sad.gif
Doc said if I took the tab properly around 3 days milk will increase... Am bit confused now...
sad.gif
( Anybody got this experience b4 ?

Lingling, I only take fenugreek to increase supply. After the supply is established I stopped taking cos the body will get immuse of it and will not see any side effect liao. Recently I have cut down from 3 sessions to 2 sessions during office hours. Can see my supply a bit drop too plus the menses coming. Very sian. Have to cut down one session cos new job is really busy. Sometimes no time to eat too. Think because never eat also affect my supply.

Wahhhh Maureen.. I never know le that we need to stop taking after got increment.. I thought we have to take it all the time until the supply really settle... wah mayb I got immune liao now eh ?
sad.gif
Feel have very little nowadays....
Oh, the tablet my gynae gave me that made me very drowsy is METOCLOPRAMIDE... anybody got experience with this ? After 3 times taking ( 1 n a half day ) I stopped taking.... Too drowsy... Need to be awake to take care of bb... but if it really effective, i mite have to think of something

Ling ling, ya since the supply is established just stop taking. Takes only when supply is low or drop. Try to drink more water. I found that if I drink too little water or didn't eat my supply drops too.

ya ya if dun eat or drink too little water milk will drop. my sis told me dat there's once she was hungry but she went to express milk, and she almost fainted in her office! So huh, beta to eat full full liao then express ;)

Ling, dun give up, jia you ok.. nvr tried doctor tablets before so i cant comment.. i tried the papaya soup tho.. i tink it helps a little.. n some one on one of the threads say drink milk to help boost supply, so i started to drink milk / soya milk oso.. haha. v ks leh me..

mmmmmmmm, that's explain why I'm so hungry... :D Hubby said I even eat more than him ( always :p ) Actually I dont really like drink milk but soy milk is ok.. I will try to increase milk intake... 1 question thou, is it ok to drink chilled soy milk cos I put the milk in the fridge ? Will it affect bb when she bf ? thanks... Feel so wonderful to have many mommies supports here
happy.gif

haha i oso v hungry all the time.. =p like preg like dat..

i oso put the milk in the fridge but i try to let it "cool" to room temp by pouring it out and let it stand for a while before taking it. cos i read dat taking chilled drinks reduces milk supply.. duno how true, but being the ks mummy I am, i rather take no chance
happy.gif

Ling Ling, I used the drug before but stopped becuase it made me very very tired and I suffered from depression too. Well known side effect.

Yes I also eat alot. Then my colleague says never mind you are a cow that why must eat more. hahaha.

I drink soya milk and milk all are chilled so far is ok.

Hi Leona and Maureen,
Am stocking up milk in my fridge now... but cos am oso KS, will try Leona's advise hehehe... thou have missed some intake that I drank chilled :p

Cactus 79 : u hv tried this drug b4 ? Is it work ? N u suffered depression ?? How long you took it ? Did u finish the whole course ? Gee..... bit scary uh ...

Ling Ling, I took it for 5 days, then stopped. 3 tablets one day. I didn't finish the course. I dun nkow it worked cos eventually my milk did come in.

haha ling, congrats.. once u start to stock the milk it will cont to pile up.. keke.. v soon u will need to freeze the milk before it 'expires' in the fridge.. ^_^

actually the milk i drink is not really at room temp, but i dun drink when its immediately out of the fridge.. its still slightly chilled lah, cos i cant wait =p hee.. but still ks.. so i try to strike a bal lor..

me nowadays become quite lazy to pump liao partly cos my freezer oso no space to put more milk.. cos i so lazy now it seems like the amt i pump out is reducing =p

gng back to work soon.. so i really need to work harder again.. sianz..

For me actually I dont freeze my milk. Cos I scare my baby doesnt want to take and it is a waste of milk bags. Last time I used to let him consume within 48 hrs. But now I keep for 72 hrs as long as the milk is ok.

Maureen n Leona... hehehehe.. my mistake.... slight miscomunication here.... the milk I'm stocking up is for my own intake ( shy ehehehe ). Felt my ss still not good that is y my gynae is giving me the tablet.. But very drowsy lehh
sad.gif

Leona : If u have too much stock up in freeze maybe u can transfer that to me hehehe..

Cactus : Wow !!! U took it 4 5 days ?? mmmmm, my gynae told me 2 take 2 tablet every b4 meals.. too strong uh ?? !!! May I know how old is ur bb n when ur milk came in ? oso may I enquire the amount you can have ? THanks ya...

Ling Ling, My bb was almost 1 month when my milk came in fully. At about 2 weeks, I was giving 50% formula. Then about 3 weeks, about 66% of the feeds were breast milk. I now have about 1.7litres over 24 hours of pumping. I do 4 sessions per 24 hours now. I used to do 2 hourly over 24 hours for 8 weeks. then did 3 hourly for another 4 weeks. Then dropped 1 pump each fortnight to now, 4 sessions per 24 hours.

Ling Ling, have you been able to produce any amount of milk so far? If you have, there is a good chance you can increase your milk supply. Eat enough, drink lots, rest well. Pump or latch on religiously. In fact, I would say, pump until you are totally dry and continue pumping for another 5 minutes. That's what I did.. during the early days, I would pump drop by drop... really. LIke 5 seconds, 1 drop. for 40 minutes each time. I wasn't using manual single pump but PIS advanced leh... :p That was how hopeless I was. but I perserved and milk came in totally after a month. as in, I was fully able to match my bb's supply after 4 weeks. Then, it was uphill till now.

hi all mummies, i'm a mtb and have been reading up on the forums. Just wanna share that Tollyjoy will be having their warehouse sale on 21 - 23 Nov. 11am - 7pm.
happy.gif
Gd place to buy bb stuff in times like these..

Hi

My bb is also going to be 4 mths... don;t know if could still increase further.... Actually using manuel avent then now just brought PIS... hope is not wasting $$$....

Trying to pump more frequently but then still feel manuel is better

Cactus : I am producing milk.. It's just then I felt lower than her needs.. Is PIS very good ? maybe should invest in that also...

Cloudz : thanks for the info... where is the warehouse btw ? :D

Jean : how many you have so far after pumping ? n if u feel manual better, y u bought PIS ?

Ling ling why not you go down to BMSG to try out which pump to buy. Like what Jean said manual is also good but very tiring.

Ling Ling, the PIS I bought comes with a single manual pump. I find it very slow and painful.... I had to use the single manual pump when I sent my motor to the Medela dealer for checking. PIS is much better than the single manual pump for me.

Ling ling, u really wan the frozen EMB meh? Dun mind giving to u but but but tis is not helping u leh, cos then yr supply will nt inc to meet the dd if u supplement bb's feeds =(

Maureen : if u dun freeze yr milk, u not scared milk not enuf if u go back to work? How do u manage this? Ya lor sometimes i oso feel its waste of milk bags, till now I have not used any of the frozen milk...

Ya like Cactus, i find manual pump v painful.. my sis rec the Avent Manual pump but I really cannot tahan the pain leh.. =(

Leona, my son only 3 times when I am at work. He is the same eater, so each time I have enough for him. He often wakes up 10am then drink milk, so by the time I came home I just latch on.

hi mommies,

like to join this thread..
Maureen, i intend to pump just 2 times in office when i get back to work this month, roughly how much BM will I get? I've been TBF for my 12wks old gal & have stored some BM..
Ling Ling, I find that pump while baby latch on seems to get more BM out as compared to just pump

maureen... bmsg can try all kind of pump eh ? until now still can ? worth considering....:p
Leona, I know supplementing wont do good for the ss but guess it's still better rather than supplementing with FM rite ? I mean if I dont supplemen n bb still hungry
sad.gif
? feel being a bad mom lor...
Doris, I heard about that but still not good bf on the other side n pumping together at the same time.. can't handle the pump leh.. usually how ppl do ?
WIsh can be like Cactus, eventually build up stock..
sad.gif
but now being at home by myself n no maid, I find it bit busy running ard.. Prev when my mum was here, I still try 2 supplemen myself to produce more milk n pump religiously.. but now ?
sad.gif
any suggestions mommies ?

Doris,normally morning session I have slighty more. I used to pump about 6-7 oz in the morning. Now have drop to 5.5 - 6 oz only. In the afternoon I get about 5 - 5.5 oz.

Yes you are right, latch on get more milk than pump.

Ling ling, Yes you can. Just give them a call to make appointment.

Yes I also do latch on and pump at the same time in the morning if I want to get the letdown faster.

Maybe you let your baby lay on the bed and you pump so if baby make noise just talk to bb.

Maureen, my baby only drinks on one side & I pump the other side & get 4oz in the morning. I didnt pump the rest of the day, just latch on one side..

Ling Ling, yes recently BMSG allows u to try the various pump. i bought my medala dual pump @ $242 during the promo at KK hosptial & their PIS is at $689. the other shop at KK (i tink it's called first few years) also sells PIS at $599. u may call KK pharmacy & check with the promoter annie if the promo is still on. fyi metro will be having sale this fri to sun & medala dual pump + 3 bottles priced at S$268..i'm using the single pump if i latch & pump together..ling ling, i'm sure u can do it without help like me..my maid has chicken pox & not @ home & i got to take care of my boy too, really busy to handle 2 kids + doing some work at home..be motivated..if u tink u can, u can :)

Doris, when your supply is well established, if you drop the number of pumps very gradually, your total volume should still be the same. that's what I experienced. I'm expressing 3 times a day now. 9pm, 6am and 1pm. I still get about 1.7 to 1.8litres which I used to get when I was pumping every 3 hours. I used to get a bit more when I was pumping every 2 hours (about 1.9litres).

Back