very little breast milk

Hi Semangka,

Yes, latching and pumping do help increase milk supply, but have to be patient i guess... But my personal experience is that, start pumping early if heading back to work, dun be like me start only on the 5th week, you be stress with wat you pump out. Unless you have very good supply then i think is ok ba.

Hi Kemmy,

No worries, I hope this supplement will work for you, but do latch and pump if you could, you baby could be going thru' a growth spurt now thats why keep latching onto you, it happen to me when my bb when thru' it. Now I facing another problem, bb wouldnt sleep unless i carry her... Is stressing me out, cos at night she wouldn't sleep after feeding and would drag till about 1-2am and demand someone carry her to sleep! Dunno what I should do now also.

Anyway, I am using Friso gold for my girl. The powder is fine and recommended by my gyne.

Hi Cindy,
how does domperidone work?
I also cried loads when I had to supplement, you are not alone.

Hi Yip,
My bb also same lah, the moment i put him down to sleep, he wakes up.
he is especially wide-eyed from 10pm onwards. sometimes, i resort to letting him suck till he sleeps.but, i think this is not good cuz, it will become a habit.
does your bb sleep alot during the day?
are you taking care of your bb alone? i'm taking care of mine alone, really no time to do other stuff when i have to latch and carry him,no to mention about pumping, really no chance to pump. Really tiring...

hi kemmy,
my b taking dumex mamex gold.. the current tin is the 3rd one oredi..

hi bungii,
i tried pumping aft i latched bb for awhile but there'll b v miserable milk.. does tis mean supply coming? rili?

hi cindy,
i cant help but blame myself coz my bb kena uti n was hospitalised for 5 days.. i felt tt coz i dun bf bb, tts y bb had to suffer.. i mean, its proven tt babies who r breastfed r healthier than those supplemented wif fm..

kemmy,
my baby usually stays awake cos my supply not that great lah..she'll cry and fuss after finishing one side and i will offer the other breast. i know my baby is contented when i put her down and she'll smile and play by herself
happy.gif

dun worry, some mother their supply will only come in and stabilise after 2 months or so..so, dun give up. it's ok to supplement for the time being.

Hi all

I had provided EBM for my son for 6 months plus and recently totally stopped so I think I have paid my dues and qualified to comment.
happy.gif

Like all new mothers, I want to give my child the best and I had tried quite hard to reach the WHO recommendation of exclusive breastfeeding for 6 months. Despite my best intentions, I have always supplemented, more initially and towards the end but at the peak, I supplied all but one feed.

Here are some points to share:

1. When is breast milk most critical versus beneficial?

Breastmilk is most critical for infants allergic to formula and for infants in developing countries where the mothers do not have clean water or the resources to sterilise and make formula reliably and hygienically. For all other infants who can tolerate formula, breast milk is still the best and nature's intended food for infants. It may also have a preventive effect on allergies (provided that the mother abstains from high allergy foods like cow's milk, eggs, peanuts and all tree nuts, soy etc). I have heard of some infants who are allergic to breast milk though. The point is that unless your child critically needs breast milk, you are not harming your child if you cannot breastfeed for any reason. It is also best for the child if the mother stays at home and looks after the kid herself. Does it then mean that all of us must or can be stay at home mothers?

2. Baby must cooperate and like breastfeeding too!

Breastfeeding success is not purely a mother's responsibility and it is a feeding relationship between mother and child. The baby must cooperate. I know of friends who find breastfeeding one child much easier and nicer than another child. If some mothers tell you how wonderful an experience latching on is, take it with a pinch of salt and don't blame yourself if you do not have that picture perfect nursing relationship. Your child may not be the same! In my case, my baby is not the easiest to direct feed although he latches on well. When he is not in the mood, he will angrily turn his face left and right and refuse to latch on or he will fall asleep on the breast, no matter what I do to keep him awake. In the end, I found it more efficient to express and feed him. Yes, I know if I persevered, he may be eventually trained. However, his weight was slightly below 3 kg at birth and my priority was to get his weight up rather than "train" him to be a good breastfeeder eventually. I know that it is possible to feed one’s baby exclusively with breast milk by pumping as one of my friends did it.

Another thing to consider is that most working mothers would eventually have to bottle feed and pump. By the time you fully train your baby to breastfeed like a champion, it’s time to go back to work. Might as well spend the time to train yourself to pump like a champion!

3. Know when to supplement!

In inexperienced new mothers, it is not uncommon for early attempts to breastfeed to result inadvertently in dehydrated or jaundiced babies. I have heard of 3 cases among friends whose kids became jaundiced or dehydrated because the mother's ducts were blocked and she didn't know it or there is not enough milk but the mother does not know and followed exclusive breastfeeding strictly. In encouraging breastfeeding, one must also be taught when to supplement and this education is sorely lacking. Have you ever seen any website or lactation consultant giving that information readily? Most of the time, we are told that we should just persevere and babies' stores are sufficient to last them for days. However what is less known is that in the early few days, babies must drink enough to flush out the meuconium quickly. Otherwise the baby would absorb something from the meuconium and may develop jaundice. Also for the same reason, sleepy babies must be awakened to nurse regularly in the first few days and you should not let the baby just sleep for hours.

4. Use Motherlove All Milk Plus

It is available at Vitakids at Forum. It's more effective than all the papaya and fish soups I have taken! Although expensive, it actually lasted for months for me as after the initial heavy dosage, I only take a maintenance dose when I feel the supply is dropping.

5. Get a dual electric professional grade pump!

Don't mess around with manual pumps. It is such a hassle having to catch those precious drops from the other breast while you pump manually on the one breast. After that, you still have to pump the other breast. If you are serious about breastfeeding, get Ameda Lactalline or Medela PIS (although I recommend Ameda over the Medela but that is another story). Every minute saved in pumping is a minute you can use for resting or doing anything you want. Time is very precious for new mothers!

6. Learn to pump with one hand

You can choose to buy the handsfree kit but holding both funnels with one arm works for me. Initially I pumped facing the wall with both hands holding the funnels. It was SOO boring and difficult. Subsequently I learned to pump using one arm and that freed me up to surf the web which makes passing of time easier and less stressful. I also became less focused on the volume pumped and I am sure that helped in the milk supply.

7. Pump at least once during 12 – 4 am

I find that I produced more during this period so I always made it a point to wake up during this time to pump once even after my baby slept through the night. Quite often I can produce close to the equivalent of 2 feeds with this pump!

8. Pack your milk in feed size

I used to store my milk in the fridge in the little glass jars from the hospital but when my son drank more than 120 ml, I started to store them in Pigeon’s breastmlk storage containers which are 150 ml in size. Storing your breastmilk in feed sizes makes it easier for the caregivers.

9. Breastfeeding/pumping and work are not a good mix
It is truly a hassle having to balance pumping and work. I had to go on a business trip when my son turned 5 months and I had to pump and dump while on the plane and during the meeting. If I had to travel more frequently on my job, it would be very difficult to continue pumping for long after I returned to work.

All in all, I would say that breastfeeding or pumping is VERY hard work and all mothers who have sincerely attempted to do it for any period of time should be applauded. There is no need to feel guilty if your circumstances, be it due to milk supply, baby’s habits or otherwise, make it difficult to breastfeed. My husband said that I became less grouchy after I stopped pumping. During those months, I must have stressed everyone out. I also felt that I was better able to enjoy time with my baby after I stopped pumping.

catherine, i ok to be called a cow as i always tell my male colics tt i'm a cow, going to moo moo.

kemmy, for me, my breasts seldom feel engorged cos bb suckle a lot or i pump, most of e time soft soft wan but u wld be amazed tt bb can still "extract" e milk even tho ur pump can't extract anymore. actually, if u pump, u still need to sterilise e pumps & bottles.

semangka, no prob, tt's wat e forum for, to support 1 & other.

Hi Kemmy,

Yup, my bb put down will cry also, veri stress. My hubby also find it hard to sleep at night as she cry alot a night. Wanted to bring her to a doctor today, as she has lots of wind and this made her really upset. We suspect this could be part of the reason why she has been behaving so recently. We will start having 'war' with her till 1plus in the morning till she sleep before we could rest, is making me so exhausted.

For the past few days, I have been letting her suckle for comfort to sleep. I would also try side lying position to let her suckle so that I could rest on the bed at the same time, some time it work, some time she would demand I carry her to suckle.

For day time, she would sleep at most 6-7hrs. I am taking care of my baby alone during the day till evening when my MIL and hubby is back, then they will help me out. You must learn to pump with one hand while your baby is latch on. If not you wouldnt find time, I have also learn to surf and type with one hand while the other is supporting my baby head when she is latch on.

Otherwise, can consider wearing your baby, using a sarong sling but a word of advise before you decide to do so, by wearing your baby your movement are more free but then baby will get used to be carried by you thus making it harder for you to just let baby sleep on the bed by their own, as baby is so used to falling asleep while in the sling. Is happening to me now, despite there is advantages to the sling, there are also disadvantages to it.

Hi mom to be,

Dun start blaming youself for not being able to TBF, everyone of us is different in being able to produce milk. Yes, I am also stress with my ms, but most important when baby is hungry you need to supplment do so.

Being able to BF a little is better then none. Dun be upset or blame youself for what you can give to your child, no matter how long you would want to BF your child or wanting to give up, just rememeber, enjoy the process.

Everyone knows that BM is best, but all of us here is different as long as you have tried your best and given your best shot then ok, dun be stres out. We cant expect ourselves to be just like other ladies here who are able to produce much or really pull thru it. Even I myself isn't sure how long I can hang on to it.

it's friday today! so let's relax & enjoy our 1st weekend in 2008.

Happy New Year to all! Dun worry, be happy!

Hi Yip,
I'm also taking care of baby alone. Have problems making food for myself,sometimes, really no choice,just eat biscuits.
I'm tempted to buy the sling, but after what you said, I'm rethinking.

I've also learnt to surf and carry baby at the same time! But, not yet, the art of carrying and pumping.

hi kemmy.

i am taking fenugreek tablets (from GNC) 4-6 tabs a day.
domperidone can work on the brain to help stimulate breast milk production, effect is around 50% more breast milk..
but can't take for long periods..need to check with ur PD or obstetrician if u r suitable to take..can get them to prescribe for u.

hi mom to be
BF babies tend to be more healthy...that's the theory..but if we eat junk, baby drink junk too...so the theory may not hold water if we r not eating well if we are stressed..
ur baby had urinary tract infection, which is not due to him/ her not drinking breast milk...in fact, baby may need to drink more fluid to help flush the urinary system..hence supplement may come in necessary if our breast milk is not enough..every baby and mom is different..so don't blame urself...

hi bella
i can't pump with one hand..i'm using medela PIS...sure must use 2 hands to hold...

hi belle,
i think theres some truth to wat u said abt cooperation betw mummies n their babies.. btw,i think latching bb n pumping is an art wic i hav difficulty mastering..
sad.gif

hi yip,
my bb oso got lotsa wind.. esp last 2 nites, fart so loudly aft rubbing his tummy n his back wif 'telon' oil.. i even got gripe water for bb.. btw, i hope u hang on as long as possible.. as for me, if oni i cud start over, i would so tt my bb can be on tbf.. wat to do, its too late.. i think im kinda resigned to my fate rite now.. but i kept teling mysf to look on the bright side, at least i still hav milk though its 1 mth plus oredi (n i'd like to believe tt my milk is actualli coming in).

hi cindy,
i just hope tt the uti is clear coz i read fr another thread tt theres uti can be quite serious.. can cause scarring of kidney.. choy ley.. cant wait for the follow up check up coz once hes clear, i got nothing to worry oredi.. can keep my mind at peace..

btw, my fren told me his wife taking medication to stop breast milk.. imagine how pissed i am wen he told me tt.. i mean, here i am having a hard time to produce enuf milk n theres pple who just dun wana produce anymore.. so wat if ur working, can keep and use bottle to feed bb breast milk wat rite. i guess to each his own..

Hi Kemmy,

Is important for you to eat well maybe you could ask your family to get for you cereal, is better then just eating plain biscuits, as I truly believe what we eat will affect how we produce and sufficient rest is equally important as well. If baby is latch on, I would close my eyes and rest sitting on my bed.

As for the sling, tats the effect I got after using it, despite is really useful when we are out haha... My hubby brought a sarong for her yesterday and we have seen the work of it, once she finish feeding and fall asleep, we put her into it and she will not wake up and cry unless she is still hungry, she will struggle and turn to her side trying to root for my nipple haha...

Is allowing me to have some freedom and allowing us to have peace of mind. My hubby loves it and so does the rest of the family hahaha...

You will slowly learn the art of pumping and latching, I would used the pillow to support the pump and have it place behind bb back and pump, is not easy but at least it working. Despite I am still learning and hoping for the increase, I also want to continue enjoy motherhood. Try not to stress out, thats wat I learn.

Hi mom to be,

Is a hard time when bb have wind in them, they just keep crying and really no idea wat to do to help them relieves their discomfort. Each time after rubbing the ru yi oil, she will start farting and once the effect kick in, she will want to poo and she will start to cry at the top of her voice haha...

Dun think if you could start over again, think ahead instead. Is good that you are looking at the bright side, no matter wat, having a bit it better then none. Also I been taking oat in the morning, read in some article online, it says that it could help increase breastmilk, I hope it helps.

So long as I could stay onto it, I will but not going to stress myself out as I think it is no good for me and baby, as baby will feel my stress.

mom to be (in_distress): That time I got so little supply, I everything also try lor...plus, I more of a tea drinker than coffee so prefer the nursing tea especially since it's organic & dun have caffine (bought from mumsinmind)...it does help to increase but not very slowly. Tried the Mothercare Milk Plus (bought from the Pharmacy @ Thomson Medical & can find online at LuckyVitamin), that one faster & more effective..

Hen: I never latch on my baby at all. He cried "murder" every time I try to. Made me so depressed that I hide in my room & cried...used bottle ever since he's borned, so 8months plus....

Hi Kemmy,
I am giving Friso. Got a free sample from my gynae and that's how it got started

Hi Belle,
thanks for highlighting the fact that breastfeedin is a relationship. I am beginning to wonder if my baby dislike being breastfed.

Hi Catherine and Belle,
Can expressing BM continue for so long? The nurses in the maternity ward warned me that expressing might decrease supply in the long run and hence advise me to latch on. (that's why I am 'forcing' my baby to latch on)

yip, sarong aso got pros & cons. some bbs when they too get used to sleep in sarong, when u bring them out, say to parents or ILs plc, bbs may not be able to nap there unless aso got sarongs. i aso hrd tt sarongs r not gd for bb's spine.

semangka, latching on def helps to increase/maintain ss. for me, e amt yield when i pump twice during office hrs is def not enugh for 3-4 feeds in e day. but when i w bb, bb can feel satisfied just by latching on throughout e day.

hi catherine,
my confinement gonna be over on wed therefore easier to move ard.. will go n check the mothercare milk plus out.. im starting to drink hot milo @ least once a day now too (ive got lactose intolerance, so dun rili like to take milk though its impt wen breastfeeding)..

hi semangka,
i think its not abt ur bb dislike being braestfed, hes just not used to it i guess..

hi bunnybluey,
now tt my bb is latching on betta than he used to (previously latch on oni, he'd cry so loud, now at least will suckle hard on left breast for minimum 5 min... rite breast not so gd..) how to start tbf fr here?

bunneybluey,

Do understand tat but she oni nag there and after which will transfer her back to her cot.

If not she will keep latching onto me or if not cry...

Hi all

Just to highlight - the brand is Motherlove More Milk Plus capsules, not Mothercare. It costs about $48 plus at Vitakids.

I did not consider taking domperidome because it is a type of chemical after all and it is not a medication for the purpose of increasing breast milk. You are actually relying on the side effect of this medication to increase milk. In the US, the FDA discouraged mothers from using this due to possible side effects although lactation consultants disagree with this stand.

Yes, it is possible to continue expressing without latching on. I practically did not latch on after 3 months. My peak supply was thanks to Motherlove More Milk Plus and cannot be attributed to latching on or drinking fish soup!

On the issue of sarong and sling, we tried both. We used the Dr Sears endorsed Amby Motion Bed which is basically a more beautiful sarong bed with firmer mattress support instead of just a layer of cloth. I think it is very useful in the early months and should have used it from birth. We only bought it after one month as we were desperate to try anything to encourage my baby to sleep better. We were worried that he would become addicted to it but to our surprise, after he could turn around 3 months plus, he outgrew the Amby bed and moved happily back to his cot. I don't think the Amby bed is bad for the spine since it is endorsed by Dr Sears.

As for the sling, we never quite figured out how to use it and my son prefers to be carried upright chest to chest. We used the Baby Bjorn carrier instead. He would only calm down and eventually settle into sleep if carried in his favourite position so my husband just strapped him in after dinner every evening. My husband discovered that he likes to be bounced up and down on an exercise ball so my husband does that to help him to sleep.

In the early months, it was so tiring and stressful that we would try anything that works.

Kemmy - it is quite important for the mummy to have good nutrition so that babies get the maximum benefit from breast milk. If you have no time to cook, how about getting tingkat? Biscuits may have transfats and would not be good for babies. How about making a sandwich with cheese, tomatoes and cucumber and if possible egg? Canned sardines are also good as it provides DHA and calcium.

Hi Cindy

To pump with one hand, here's how it works. It was taught to me by a mother manning the line at Breastfeeding Mother Support Group. Using your left arm, make a L shape. Support the left funnel using the corner of the L. Use your left hand to hold the right funnel. Voila! Right hand is free.

Hi

Can we wear wired nursing bra during breast feeding? Will it hinder our milk production? Cos i went to buy nursing bar the SA told me that daytime need to wear wired to prevent sagging and nite time Without wire as a support. Please advise....

jacelyn, i was told by mrs wong tt dun wear wired nursing bra as it'll cut off ur milk ss eventually. i tink those SA can't be trusted, i aso bought a few wired nursing bras during preggie b4 deliver. i wore those during preggie as breasts getting bigger but stop wearing aft delivering.

I read somewhere that wearing wired bras may cause blocked ducts. So since I got pregnant, I wore very aunty non wired maternity bras and subsequently nursing bras from Mothercare. However another friend swears by the wired nursing bra from Momsinmind and she had lots of milk!

momtobe,
my right breast also, the flow and supply is lesser than my left.

belle,
thanks for your advice. will take note of my diet.
btw, how long did you take to see the effect of more milk plus?

thanks.

Hi yip,
i also like you, see open liao, baby got take some breast milk, better than none.

btw, how many times should babies taking BM and FM poo in a day ?

Hi Kemmy

The first time - after 3 -4 days of intensive dosage of 1 every 6 hours, milk supply increased. Subsequently I just have to take one to 3 doses whenever I feel supply dropping. You have to be careful though. I almost got engorged in subsequent doses.

hi jacelyn,
personally for me i think wearing wired bra is uncomfortable..
happy.gif
btw, wats sa?

hi kemmy,
my right breast smaller than my left side ley due to the lower supply..
sad.gif
any mummies know wat i can do to make them equal?

Hi all,

seems like we have a similar issue - one breast seems to be more productive than the other.

BTW, yesterday I bought the 'More Milk Plus' as recommended by Belle and the "pharmacist" (can't exactly recall the term that she used to address herself) of the shop told me that it will take about typically 2 weeks for effect to kick in . And she also warned that we must not take malt when taking the capsules.

hi semangka,
how much did u pay for the more milk plus? n wat kind of malt is it tt we shoudlnt take? u got it fr tmc izit?

Hi all

I also had the same "problem" with one breast being more productive. My left breast used to produce more but after many months of pumping, it seemed to even out. Towards the end, the difference was not so obvious anymore.

For the More Milk Plus, it is important to play by ear since everyone's response may be different.

I remember I started taking on a Friday or Sat and started noticing a difference by Tues or Wednesday. After the first few days of heavy dosage, I must have reduced dosage for the next few days and then stopped. This seemed to kick start the supply and if I pumped consistently, it would go on for some time until I get a bit stressed at work.

Kemmy - I think you should go by trial and error to find the minimum dosage that worked to maintain supply. This stuff is certainly not cheap!

I wasn't warned about malt but I didn't take any malt either unless it is in Milo.

hi.. just a quick check with BF mummies, does taking crabs cause any allery to one N half months baby? just took (a lot) yesterday N realise I'm BF baby:-(

Hi mom to be,
i paid $48.40 for each bottle. It contains 60 capsules. I was told to take 4 capsules a day. So that means, a bottle can last 12 days.
I bought it from VitaKids (Paragon). There 3 outlets for vitakids - forum, paragon and vivocity.

Apparently milo contains malt, but since it works for Belle L, this shows that it depends on individual.

I only bought one bottle of the More Milk Plus before my son turned 3 months but by the time I stopped breastfeeding after 6 months plus, I still have 5-8 capsules left. It lasted longer than I thought. Once you see an increase, it may not be necessary to continue taking. At least that's what I did.

Semangka - actually I didn't take Milo very often so it may be better to listen to the "pharmacist".

Hi Semangka,
let us know your 'experience' with more milk plus.

Just found out that Ovaltine also contains malt.

Totally cannot take malt or cannot take immediately after taking the capsules?

Hi Kemmy,

I will start taking my capsule on sunday. Cos I am only allowed to drink milo for this confinement period. Thus I will be able to update you guys next week about my progress.

The pharmacist told me not to take it when taking the capsule. Did not really clarify with her if it is a case of totally cannot take malt or cannot take immediately after taking the capsules. Believe i will err on the side of caution - will abstain from milo for the initial period.

Mom to be,

Yes, I lowered my intake when the supply increased. I think I just did it without checking with anyone. Not sure if it is advisable for others.

If you have asthma or other medical condition, you should always seek doctor's advice before taking any herbs or medication. I can't promise that it is safe for you!

hi belle,
i bought more milk plus today n the sa told me tt i shdnt take malt drink straight aft taking the capsule.. must wait for at least 0.5hrs... she oso said tt once ss kicks in, can take oni wen needed. i forgot to aks her abt the asthma part though.

btw, i went for my check p wif gynae today n told her abt my little milk ss.. she prescribed me pills for nausea. funnie rite.. when i asked the girl who dispensed the medication to me, she said the pills can increase supply oso.. i kinda have doubts on tt ley.. any of u encounter tis?

Were you prescribed Domperidone or Motillium?

From Wikipedia:

Domperidone is used, together with metoclopramide, cyclizine, and 5HT3 receptor antagonists (such as granisetron) in the treatment of nausea and vomiting.

As mentioned before, the side effect of Domperidone is to increase milk supply. It is supposed to be effective but I chose not to take this for reasons mentioned in my earlier post.

Hi Mom to be,

Domperidone can be used for increasing BM. My lactation consultant told me so. But if you buy from pharmacy, you have to say that you want it for nausea, not for increasing BM because that is not mentioned in the manufacturer's instructions. It is a researched fact.

hi belle,
i was prescribed metoclopramide oni.. using tis alone w/o domperidone will help increase ss or not huh?

hi twiggy,
i can just go to any pharmacy n buy domperidone?

http://www.leron-line.com/handouts/Increasing_Supply.htm
http://www.leron-line.com/updates/Rating_Supply.htm

According to the above link, metoclopramide or Reglan increases breast milk but depression is a common side effect. You may want to call up the gynae and ask why you were not given domperidone instead.

The link also mentions that people with asthma should avoid fenugreek! More Milk Plus contains fenugreek, I believe.

You should also check with your doctor for your asthma whether you can take either domperidone, metoclopramie or More Milk Plus.

Taking More Milk Plus together with metoclopramide or domperidone may be too much.

halloooo,

I have some qns abt breast feeding & I hope the experienced mommies can help me out here...thanks
kao_dizzy.gif

1) Can I start taking the Motherlove More Milk Plus capsules maybe 1 week before giving birth?? My mum had problem breastfeeding coz she said she had no milk at all, I dun wan to face the same problem so I was wondering if I can take the supplement 1 wek before to kick start the milk flow so once I give birth bb can BF?

2) Can I Bf my bb by pumping into a bottle & not latch directly on my breast? I have heard that the nipples will be very swollen if I constantly BF directly...can indirectly BF??

3) How long can I keep pumped breast milk?? Must freeze it??

Thanks in advance

hi bunnybluey n other mummies who are tbf,
can check if u hav done any treatment to ur hair, rebonding, perming, colour, etc when breastfeeding? my gynae warned me against these when i was pregnant but it seems tt there r ladies doing the above still..

hi belle,
i actualli asked the lc when i met her during my session in dec.. she said teh effect varies wif diff pple.. so far ive not started on my more milk plus yet coz im still taking metoclopramide.. im thinking of finishing the meto thingy 1st then start on more milk plus..

btw, my son hasnt passed motion on sat n sun... its oni tis morning tt he passed, n oni once.. im kinda worried if its got to do wif the milk powder (dumex) hes taking.. any advice?

hi bbp,

1) My late mum too told me she has no milk. Now i think it's more like she didn't have enough knowledge abt breastfeeding and also morale support from people around her. She did try expressing her milk using pump but after few trials she gave up thinking that there's no milk. The thing she doesn't know that milk only came in after day 4!Like you, i also scare i have no milk but i was very determine to breastfeed. So, the day i gave birth i start stimulating my breast for milk production, ie use breast pump. For the first 4 days, there won't be any milk at all. Milk only come in on day 4 or 5 depending on individual. I had my first engorgement on day 4 night. For colustrum, my LC (lactation consultant)helped me to hand squeeze. It's so precious and so little that i only use hand to express it out because i don't want it to stuck on the pump funnels
happy.gif
. It's very painful to hand squeeze them out but since it's so precious, it's all worth it! Also, i called for LC to guide me with breastfeeding. Thank God I did that because i was so encourage to breastfeed.

2) Yes, you can definately pump and feed from bottle. A lot of mothers do that. I did that for the 1st month exclusively and from month 2 onwards, i latch her till now. In office, i will pump out my milk. These milk is to be given to her using bottle when i'm in my office. The initial part of latching is painful especially if you didn't get it right. The nipples will be very sore. They might bleed too due to abrasion from baby's gum. But once you get it right and after sometimes your nipples are so season that it's not painful already. Ever since I managed to latch my girl, my supply has almost doubled. And you feel so happy and satisfied when your baby give you a contented smile after you breastfeed her
happy.gif
If you can, try to breastfeed. If not, giving expressed breastmilk (EBM) is equally benefitial to the baby.

2) Freshly expressed milk can store in the fridge (coolest compartment) for up to 2-3 days. Any milk more than 2-3 days in fridge if not use, must move up to freezer. Put the milk deep in the freezer/fridge, far away from the door.

Back