very little breast milk

hmm mummies... can i ask you all... what is lc, what is uti?? been following the posts but dun understand these small small words.... can someone enlighten me...

hi kspl,
lc=lactation consultant..
uti=urinary tract infection..
happy.gif

hi, just wanna share that I'm also facing problems wz total breastfeeding.

On the day of delivery, at the delivery suite, the midwife immediately let my bb bf. But she didn't really latch on properly. Midwife made a comment that my nipple is probably too big for her small mouth. Then, back at the ward, cos bb's nursery was on 8th flr while I was on the 7th flr, I didn't request the bb to send to me for bf (probably a big mistake that I made). Then, I was discharged frm hospital the very next day, so I didn't have a chance to get help frm the staff in the hospital.

When back home, bb continued to struggle to latch on. She wouldn't suck n wld cried till she turned red. My hb wld then feed her wz FM using bottle. I keep trying to latch her on but she didn't suck properly. My nipples bleed on 3rd day n I had to stop latching on. Then I pumped out BM n fed her using bottle. (Another big mistake lor). From then on, its been EBM n feed using bottle.

I'm very depressed n discourage. Many a times, I feel like giving up on BF totally. Not sure how long I can last, expressing n feeding her thru bottle. At the moment, I'm expressing 3 times a day but its been very tiring. When school reopens next year, not sure if I have time n energy to continue.

Before I deliver, I told myself I wld BF for at least 6mths since I'm not working. For my #1, I only managed to partial BF for 2 mths, I stopped when I went back to work after 2mths of maternality leave. I feel so bad back then, thats why I wanted to BF longer this time. But it turns out the road is tougher than expected.

Hi all, I am a first time mum in my 37th week, could be delivering anytime from now. I want to breastfeeding my girl when she's out. But I am still puzzled with some questions and I hope someone could enlighten me?

I understand from the thread that milk comes in usually only on the third day or sometimes later, so meanwhile does it mean that baby don't need to be fed or should feed with FM first? I am also hoping to be able to latch on BF but how do I know baby is drinking enough or not (since I can't measure)?

Lastly, may I request working mums to share your experience how you can continue to BF and/or EBF your baby when you go back to work? I would very much like to continue to give my girl breast milk when I go back to work after ML and I would most probably be engaging a babysitter to take care of her, anyone sharing similar situation?

Sorry to have so many questions as this is my first time being a mother, I am very nervous and ppl around me are generally unmarried so I can't seek advice from them.

Thanks in advance
happy.gif

hi hen,
my bb is 1 mth old today n im getting more n more depressed tt bb dun wana breastfeed.. i told hubby tt once the current tin of fm finishes, im gona breastfeed bb no matter wat.. not gona buy any fm aft tis.. i tried to breastfeed today but bb cried for 15min n his face turned red.. it didnt help tt my family kept telling me to giv fm coz they cant bear to hear bb cry.. sigh.. i regretted tt i wasnt strong headed wen they 1st told me to supplement.. i shd hav said no..

hi alice,
even wen it seemstt ur milk comes in on the 3rd or 5th day, just let ur bb breastfeed.. the '1st' milk = colustrum is very impt lor.. so even wen it looked like theres no milk, just let bb suckle.. dun succumb to pressure like i did..

Hi,

Have u tried making drink from the dried fenugreek seeds? A quite troublesome as this needs to be boiled, and also some do not like the taste, but it's quite effective.

Btw, there's a product "More Milk Plus" quite good as well, as a few dosage is enough for to boost milk supply :)

Hi ladies,

I'm also struggling with low milk supply.
is fenugreek useful? How much dosage should I take to see the effect? and how long will it take to be effective?

Cindy,Hen,momtobe,
read that you are supplementing with FM.
Do you supplement after every feed? And how much to supplement?

Thanks.

Do give fenugreek a try, u might be surprised :)

The "More Milk Plus" is good, but i only see that in TMC pharmacy. Quite ex though

Hi mom to be,
How often are u feeding your bb now w supplementing?
You may want to try to cut out supplementing in the morning when supply is usually highest n just feed your bb more frequently. Dun hv to wait until your can of FM is finished. Usually, u will need to feed bb every 2-3hrs. You can continue with supplementing later in the day...say after noon. Usually, supply in the afternoon and evenings will take a dip. Continue with your pumping after each feed to stimulate milk production, but your pumping sessions shld not be more than 3hrs apart. So plan your feeds properly.
And there is this thing call Supplementary Feeding System where you can fill it up with FM, attached tube to your breast, then let bb latch on as usual but with tube in its mouth. Then bb suck the FM from the tube n at the same time stimulates your milk production through his latching on your breast n sucking.
And if all dun help, still can get medication from doctor. Med is called domperidone.
Talk to LC on your options. Ms Doris Fok is a gd one. She trains the BMSG counsellors n has got a lot of experience.
If u are really keen to tbf, got to act fast. And be prepared for a lot of hard work n need to be v thick-skinned.
All the best on your journey
happy.gif

Hi mom to be,

You said your baby cried for 15 mins when you try to breastfeed. It seems to me that the baby is having nipple confusion. 1 month old baby is too confuse to alternate between nipple and bottle teat. For the first 6 weeks of life (at least) no teats and pacifier - that will ensure baby to learn how to latch properly.

Do not be discourage by your family members. Be firm with your stand. If you decided no FM then stand to it. For the first 2 months of my maternity leave, I really do nothing but to feed my baby when he cries. That can be even 1 hr from his last feed.

Do not be discourage or depress, by having the determination to continue breastfeeding is already half battle won.

BTW have you try the "formula" which I gave you?

Regards

breastfeeding has never been an easy journey, esp it's e 1st time u r doing it, needs lots of determination, perseverance & hard work. i too hv a bumpy start.

i had c-sect, so my milk oni came in on e 6th day. aft giving birth, my son had mild jaundice on 3rd day, so put under light, nurse scared tt he may be dehydrated, so asked me for permission to feed him w glucose water & i agreed, which was my biggest mistake. i strongly suspected tt e nurse fed him using bottle cos tt nite, bb started to refuse to latch on. when discharged on e 4th day, back hme, he refused to latch, most likely he got nipple confusion liao! we no choice, fed him w some glucose water using a med cup so tt he wun get dehydrated. i called mrs wong for help, as nxt day is PH, i was asked to bring bb to tmc parentcraft on e day aft. meanwhile, hb bought a tin of FM to cup feed him, e tin of FM was oni given on tt day, aft tt, throw away liao!

at tmc parentcraft, mrs wong's nurse helped me to latch bb on, bb refused, she just pressed his head against my breast, bb cried damn loud til whole face red. e nurse released, calmed bb down & tried again, we did tis again & again. e nurse said if i wan to latch him on again, i hv to ignore his cryings. finally, he managed to latch on e right but not on e left cos my left is inverted nipple. later tt evening when we at hme, he refused to latch on again, we called mrs wong & followed her advice, so i forced bb to latch on, he cried v.loud till face red, passed bb to hb, tis is for me to take a break & for hb to calm down bb, we tried again & again as we were v.determined to bfeed him, no way, am i going to admit lost to FM. finally, we managed to get him latched on. i always start him w my right & then left, let him try suckling fr e inverted nipple when he's not so hungry, so he wun get frustrated easily & more co-operative, was happy tt eventually, he suckled fr e left too.

thruout my ML, i latched him on as tt's e best way to increase ss, i welcome his growth spurts as tt's e time it helped to increase my ss. during growth spurts, i cradle hold him to bfeed him, stand up & move ard, & sing songs to him as i read fr kellymom's website tt it'll help increase ur ss too if u always do e same thing when bfing. so walking ard & singing to him during tt period has become a routine, not sure if it helps to increase e ss but everytime i do tt, it does calm him down & he doesn't fuss anymore. besides latching, i aso pump b4 or aft bb finished latching, so tt it tricks my brain to tink tt bb is a big drinker, must make more milk to meet his demands.

i started to intro bottle oni when he's 1mths+ old & FM when he's 2mths+ as i scared my ss will dip aft i return to work. today, my son is 7mths le, & i'm happy to hv bfeed him for so long. my ss dips a little aft i went back to work & his demands aso increase as i not oni need to provide him w BM for drinking but aso to mix w cereals, so my ss now is not enugh to meet his needs. but am still determine to continue giving him BM til he's 1yo & supplement w 1-2 feeds of FM.

to all mummies who r still trying hard to bfeed ur bbs, hang on there. e initial start is difficult but once u crossed e hurdle, u'll c e daylight. in e back of ur mind, try not to tink of "oh well, if can't, at most, i supplement w FM" as i tink tis is one major deterent to successful bfing. no offence to anyone pls but i do realise tt once u tink u hv a fall-back plan, u tend to let go. for me, i always tink of "BM is e best & no way, am i going to succumb to FM. i am going to prove to all who dun tink i can be successful in bfing!" my mum always nags at me when bb cries, tinking tt bb doesn't hv enugh milk but i just ignore her & at times, so angry tt i tell her to shut-up, i said since she had never bfeed me b4, she wun know e difficulties, hence, dun say discouraging stuff to me. i was glad tt my hb is there to give me full support & w his help, we pulled thru e 1st mth of difficulties; now, my son is happily suckling away tt i start to worry tt i can't wean him off fr breasts when he turns 1yo.

alice, bbs hv reserves for e 1st few days, so they r fine even w just e little bit of colustrum. to be successful in bfeed, u shd try to latch bb on as soon as u deliver as bbs r more alert during e 1st few hrs. do not supplement w FM as i find tt once u start to do tt, it's gonna be a major deterent for u as u start to tink u can fall-back to FM when u tink ur ss is enugh; however, when u give FM, u r actually taking away e chance of bb to suckle at ur breast; thus decreasing e chance of increasing ur ss. remember tt dd vs ss, e more e milk is cleared fr ur breasts, e more milk ur body will produce as signals will be sent to ur brain to make more milk. aso, dun give bottles in e initial mth, as bb may hv nipple confusion.

bunneybluey
same here, me nw oso worried cant wean bb off e breasts, bt found out its e FM she din like... so nw hv to find a FM nearest to BM taste... LOL... mine gal's nw 6.5mo...

Hi bunnybluey,

Thanks for sharing your experience.
I'm a 1st-timer and it indeed takes alot of perseverance,determination and hardwork.
I'm still struggling in this aspect.

I totally agree that once we know that we have FM to fall back on, we'll be tempted to put down our guard and give FM more often.

My bb is 1 month old. For the first 2 weeks, I tbf my bb. But on the 3rd week, he keeps crying and I spent alot of time latching him on. He keeps falling asleep when I latch on and I had trouble waking him up. When I put him down, he would wake up and cry for milk. So, I latched on again and the cycle continues. It's like, he's not awake most of the time because I keep latching and he keeps sleeping.

I tried to pump and I had pathetic milk. Only about 20ml from both breast. So, I had no choice but to supplement. I cried when I saw my boy taking FM. I feel so bad that he had to take FM.
Although, I tell myself that I don't want him to take FM again, however, I still have low milk supply and cannot meet his demands.
My mum and hubby wants me to give FM cuz they say I do not have enough rest. and my mum was angry with me abt me bf-ing because I did not rest enough during my confinement.

Till now, I sometimes will supplement because, when he wants to drink, my breast feels empty and he is like, sucking nothing. Looks very pitiful.

Now, I'm still trying my best to give whatever breastmilk I have and see how long I can last.

I try my best to restrict myself to give only 1 feed of FM a day and I only give 60ml the max for 1 full feed. At his age, should give 120ml but I'm not willing to let him drink too much FM.
Now, I'm wondering, am I starving him?
Sometimes, I'll bf first then give 10-20ml of FM. Is this the correct way? How did you supplement your baby?

Sorry for the long post and thanks for 'listening'.

Hi,

Please do not be upset that your baby had to take FM. Prob I should share my experience. My first baby was a preemie, and because of that, he had to stay in the hospital for a while. The nurse told me to pump out my breast milk and colustrum, but after 3 days, there was nothing. The nurse said they had to feed the baby something, if not the baby would not grow. I had no choice but to let him have FM as his first milk. I was also heartbroken, especially when everyone was telling me that breastmilk was very important, especially for premature babies. I felt like a failure, especially when I felt guilty for having delivered early. The next few days i kept pumping, delivering 20-30ml of milk to the hospital everytime. But of course, it was not enough. When he came out of the hospital, I was determined to feed him fully and latch him on directly, but he kept crying everytime I put him to the breast. I tried for a month, and my mother-in-law kept commenting that how come I have two breasts yet no milk. So at 2mth, I gave up feeding direct. And I just pumped, and supplemented with formula milk. I gave him expressed breast milk till he was 11mth old, after which was all formula milk.

What I'm trying to say is that do not be too hard on yourself. I was very hard on myself, I made myself wake up every 3-4 hrs to pump milk for my baby then. I did that for almost a year, and thinking back, I was a little too stubborn. It is true that breastmilk is best for the baby, but you do not have to stress yourself just because you can't give total breastmilk. If you can give 20ml, give 20ml. If you can give 100ml, then give that. A little is better than none at all. I had forgotten that being a mother was more than just breastfeeding. I made myself very stressed, so much so that I could not enjoy motherhood. I think the baby knows when the mother is stressed too. You need to remember that being a mother is not just nutrition. You need to have the energy and the correct frame of mind to look after and play with your baby. That could be better for your baby too.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is, do not give up, but also do not be too hard on yourself. There are websites that tell you how to increase your milk supply. One thing that worked for me was to eat oatmeal (someone told me the worse it tastes, the more effective it is
happy.gif
). And try to get more sleep. Even when your breast feels empty and you think he is sucking nothing, actually he is stimulating your milk glands to produce milk (provided latch is correct), so hang in there, enjoy the closeness whenever he is latched on. If he is still hungry, then supplement with FM - it is OK. I think it is better for the baby to be drinking FM, than to be starved, as sufficient nutrition is very important for a growing infant.

And yes, I think what you are doing is fine: bf first and then give FM. For me, I could not latch my baby on, so I gave him expressed breast milk, and if insufficient, I put FM.

All the best, and remember not to be too hard on yourself!
happy.gif
Enjoy motherhood ok...
happy.gif

mom to be,
actually, only you can push yourself to persevere. well, my hubby too once said something that discouraged me when he saw bb crying until no voice when i tried to latch her. i retorted back by asking if he want me to stop breastfeeding. i know it's very fustrating to hear others commenting us not doing the right thing when we, mothers are trying our best to BF and increase supply and on top of that suffer all the soreness. no matter what my hubby said, i told myself that i will not stop BF her because i have come this far. i will tell myself not to be stress and depress by his comments and told him that i will show him results. finally one day, he indirectly praise me for persevering and being determine to BF our bb when i told him my SIL didn't manage to BF her bb
happy.gif

regarding your bb crying when you try to latch her, do you think your bb was not comfortable with the position you put her when she latching at your breast? observe and trial and error. for my case, my girl cried and struggled with me when i put her on my right breast. she'll cried until no voice and face all red - rally heartbreaking. finally i changed another position (football hold) and she managed to latch on. once she manage to latch on and pull out my nipple, i will change her to cradle hold because football hold is very tiring. i really hope you've not given up breastfeeding..

alice,
for the 1st 2 days, newborn does not need to drink a lot of milk because they have fats stored for them. its not suprising that when you pump, nothing comes out until the 4 or 5 day onwards. for my case, i can only squeeze out the colustrum and can only collect like 1 teaspoon. LC said that amound is already very good for bb.

i have gone back to work and i'm still BF my baby. I will latch my baby when i'm with her, ie in the evening, night and before i go to work the next morning. weekends, i will latch her too. When i'm in the office i'll set aside sometime to pump the milk out. i'm pumping 2 times at work , stored in glass bottles, put them in the fridge and transport them home. These bottles will be use for the next day feeds. My girl is taking more than what i pump, so my hubby will supplement one feed with FM. I'm still working towards total breastfeeding but i'm not too hard on myself. I share the same sentiment as christine. it's ok to supplement. I rather enjoy motherhood than to stress myself and make myself depress over not able to total breastfeed my baby. It's already an achievement if you're able to give my baby some breastmilk irregardless the amount.

Hi Christine, ariaojo,
Last night, I was contemplating to stop bf-inf because it's like getting no where.

Thanks for sharing your experience.I feel consoled. I admit that I'm too hard on myself to provide breast milk for my bb and my focus is being shifted from enjoying motherhood to constantly worrying about feeding.

Do your babies tend to fall asleep after breastfeeding? My bb constantly falls asleep.
The cycle is like, feed,sleep,feed etc.
What should I do?

Thanks.

kemmy,
yes, mine does and i think it's common. i'll do one of below. If one of them doesn't wake her up, i'll do the other until she suckle hard again.

1) call her name to wake her up
2) stroke her neck. it's ticklish and bb will usually wake up.
3) tickle the side of her tummy. it's a very sensitive and ticklish area
4) open her palm or tickle the sole
5) squeeze your breast to push the milk into her mouth.
6) if you're using cradle hold, bend down with your bb head flat in your arms instead slanted. hope you get what i mean. i notice my baby will suckle hard again.
7) pat the breast your bb is sucking. the sound will wake her up. i discover this yesterday..hehe

all this will wake baby up temporarily and make bb suckle hard again. they will fall asleep and we have to keep doing it until our breast is tender or close to tender.

a lot of mummies told me that their baby will finish off 1 breast in 10-15 mins time but i will take 1/2 hour normally. they will tell me it's not correct but if baby really want to suckle (not the soft soft type), there's nothing i can do right? i take it as extra time for stimulating my milk production. sometimes when my bb is really hungry she can drain it in 15 mins time if not, i will just let her suckle for 1/2 hour. of course, must make sure she's really sucking the milk out and not treating your nipple as pacifier.

Hi ariajo,
thanks for the tips.

my bb also take 30 mins or more to finish 1 breast. In fact, I do not know if he has finished because he do not delatch himself. He just falls asleep. How would I know if he REALLY finish?
I just remove him if i feel that he is taking too long.

Does your bb stay awake after finish feeding on both sides? Mine seldom. I worried that it's not healthy for him to be constantly be in sleep mode and not much activity time.

And the moment he wakes up, he cries, wants to drink. It's a vicious cycle...sigh...

Thanks.

hi kitty,
the lc told me to take fenugreek seeds.. i tink its working coz at least i can pump abt 20ml now on my lucky days.. on not so lucky days, at least theres milk coming out.. btw, the 'more milk plus', wat is tt? milk?

hi bluberries,
i dun rili get how the supplementary feeding system works.. do i feed the bb breastmilk or fm using tt? n where can i get tt ting?

hi rachel,
yes! my bb is indeed confused.. sigh.. nipples n bottles..
sad.gif

hi kemmy,
my bb's taking fm every time la.. i dunno wat to say oredi.. sometimes i just wish im staying on my own so tt i can decide wat bb drinks.. theres once wen grandpa asked me to give bb milo.. sarcastic rite.. sigh..

i agree tt the availability of fm in the hse just make tings worse.. damn fed up wif hubby oso.. tt time when i broke down coz too angry wif myself coz can breastfeed bb, hubby said, 'u can do it'... until now its still 'u can do it'.. he tink wat, just talk oni can breastfeed oredi meh... so encouraging.. im always telling him to do some research on tis but u know la guys, go in 1 ear, cum out another ear.. so supportive indeed..

anyway, liky i said, my bb will suckle but oni for a while lor.. aft tt its fm.. i rili dunno wat to say la.. its like im the oni 1 who wana breastfeed bb in the hse..

kemmy, tink bb sleeps a lot during e initial wks. my boy sleeps a lot, at times, i even hv hard time waking him up to latch on. i tried & tried, aft 20mins, he still sleeps like a log, so i stopped trying & pumped instead so tt when bb not latched on, at least, e pumping helps to clear e milk & stimulate more milk flow. if bb falls asleep while latching on, try e methods suggested by ariajo, i did some of those methods & they worked.

btw, wat u can pump out doesn't equate to e amt of milk u hv in ur breasts as pumps can't clear as effectively as bb. aso, it had to depend on e type of pump u using. when i 1st started pumping using avent manual, pump like siao to get tt pathetic, like oni 10-20ml nia. over e time, e ss increased to 60-80ml max but my hands so sng aft ea pumping, so eventually, i invested in a dual electric pump & my output was much better. at least, during ML, i can freeze some EBMs.

mom to be, actually dun be stressed w wat u pump out. do something to distract urself, dun look at e bottles when u pump, hv a cup of hot drink b4 pumping. fenugreek seeds do help for some pp. for me, i'm now taking mother's milk tea to try to maintain my ss.

I too had problem producing milk for my first child. A friend recommended me a lactation consultant from KKH. I called her over the phone. She advised me to express every 3 hourly. Only if doing this after 4 days and still has no milk, then go and see her. I tried, and it worked. My supply increases, but I had to be back in office, so my first kid did not have much breast milk.

Now that I have my second, I too did not have milk for the first week, so I gave baby fm while I pumped every 3-4 hours during the day for until the supply increases. If baby is willing to suck, then go directly, and continue to pump even if don't have milk. This would stimulate the body to produce more milk. My child had been on full breast milk after her first week of fm.

I've been working for 2 months now, and had been diligently expressing milk at work. She's still taking breast milk only. I can see the supply dips a little due to tiredness etc, but I'm holding out until she's at least 6 months, then I'll go partial, cos it's really tiring ;)

Do watch your diet and drink lots of fluid (I was advised to drink roughly 3-4 litres per day during my confinement)

All the best!

momtobe,
do you supplement after every feed? does your bb stay awake after you feed with FM? Mine usually falls asleep after I bf, so it's like not much awake time. I'm thinking whether I should supplement FM at daytime to stay awake.
Can I take fenugreek in capsules? Do you know how much to take to see the effect?

bunnybluey,
Mine also sleeps like a log. I tried to pump if he sleeps. But sometimes, he just sleep for 1 hour and wakes up and wants to feed. Then my breast feels empty because I just pumped.So how ah?
My hubby ask me not to pump cuz he see I only pump a small amount.

Bungii,
You mean, if bb don't wake up to feed in 3-4hrs time, then i pump? otherwise, can just latch him?

thanks.

kemmy, i aso latch or pump every 3hrs, tis was wat e LC told me when i was still in e hospital aft delivery, tis to stimulate milk production. even if u feel ur breasts r empty, tt doesn't mean tt they r really empty. for me, some times not long aft i started pumping, bb woke up & cried for milk, so i just stopped pumping & latched him on. regardless of whether got milk or small amt, hv to continue pumping.

Hi all,

I have been following your postings and all your advises. Like mom to be, I am also facing the same problem - low milk ss. And I can fully empathise. It's a real comfort to see so many supportive postings and advises.

I have been pumping/ latching every 3 hours for 2 weeks+, but still only manage 20 - 30ml

Looks like I will try Kitty's recommendation (More Milk Plus) and possibly see my gynae for medication to increase my milk ss.

Mom to be,
press on and you are not alone in this uphill task

Hi, been having sleepless nites cos bb just want to be carried at nite n keeps crying almost every hourly, even after feeding her wz EBM. Seems like her intake has increased, drinks abt 100-150ml (she's 3wk old) per feed. I'm so tired that I'm starting to skip the middle of the nite expressing.
sad.gif

Christine, your post is really very comforting. Yes, I agree wz u. All mothers out there, as much as we want to give the best to our babies, what is important is also to enjoy motherhood, so don't stress yourselves out too much & fall into depression. Last thing we want is to suffer from post natal blues.

mom to be, I'm in the same boat as u. Bb coming to 1 mth, still a failure in direct latch on breastfeeding. Got to admit that I'm too tired to try harder. Still hanging in there, maybe without hubby around, I more determined to try harder.

Hi mom to be,

I've seen the SNS (Supplementary Nursing System) in Robinsons once. It's under Medela. U fill it with FM, not BM. I think if you search for this product in the Net, they will give u better description. Sorry ah, my description lau-ya
happy.gif

For all the mummies out there who are low in ss,

Dun despair. If u are determined n hardworking, sure can make it. For record, I'm one that was told by a famous LC that I will not make it beyond my 4th month of bfg. But I went on to bf my 1st born for 17.5 mths, working from supplementing every feed to only the last feed at night, until I conceived my 2nd child. And I've got enuff milk in the freezer for my 1st born till she self-wean from BM at abt 24mths. For my 2nd born, he is totally boobie-fed. He is now 9.5mths n I'm still going strong.
So jia you
happy.gif

hi kemmy, if ur bb has yet to be supplemented wif fm, i suggest not.. coz bb will get nipple confusion.. dun make the same mistake as i did.. v hard to get bb to latch on aft tt.. bb usualli sleep one la.. so dun worry abt tt unless u dun see him active durin his activity times (less lethargic), then maybe need to monitor.. other than tt shd b ok.. i dun tink supplementing wif fm to make him awake is the answer.. ladies, do u agree?

hi semangka, thanks.. pressing on...
happy.gif

hi hen, i totally understand ur situation oso..

hi blueberries, i'll check tt out.. btw, its avail @ wic robinsons? btw, u said the lc told u aft 4 mths no hope to breastfeed.. so when did u actualli succeed in getting bb to latch on?

bunnybluey,
so if bb don't wake up, then i pump? if he wakes up then i latch? or should i wake him up?

momtobe,
I did start supplementing. But I stubborn, only willing to supplement 1-2 times a day. btw, how much do u supplement each time?

hen,semangka,
we just have to do our best but we have to keep our sanity and enjoy motherhood too!

blueberries,
yeah, i also want to know how you succeed.

thanks and Happy New Year to all.

semangka, for me, during my 1st mth+ of pumping, my yield aso 20-30ml, it was towards e end of 2nd mth tt it starts to increase.

kemmy, i make it a pt to latch/pump every 3hrs, like 3-6-9-12 cycle. most of e time, i'm able to wake bb up to latch but a few occassions he just wants to sleep, so i'll pump 1st, if he happens to wake up during pumping, then i'll quickly latch him on.

Happy New Year to all.

hi kemmy,
apparently, i gotta supplement bb aft i latch him on.. in the 1st place, gotta supplement coz no milk.. latch until bb got fed up.. now tt bb can latch oredi, he just simply choose not too (i know the latching is correct oredi coz bb suckle quite hard but oni for a while).. maybe coz of nipple confusion.. so now no choice.. as much as i want to breastfeed him, i oso dun him to be hungry.. i tink wats impt is tt hes healthy la.. like wat u guys said, enjoy motherhood. (but i still wana breastfeed ley)..

btw, happy new year to all too..
happy.gif

hi to all mummies,

i also have inverted nipples and had problems with latching when i deliverd. my son was so frustrated that he refuse to open his mouth to latch on. thus i have no choice but to express out using pump. i had C section and it was so painful and tiring during the first few days.

now my son is 3 mths old, but i never regreted expressing milk out and bottle feed him. i agree is troublesome, must bring pump out, cannt go out for too long cos will engorge etc but i wont regret firstly because i am giving my son the best. physically i may nt be able to breast feed him but i can still give him the best. I do agree with some mummies that it is very painful at first and tiring when u start work etc. but i always tell myself: "if it is the best for my son, doesnt matter wat is the method, in the end everything is worth it." think of the advantages.

Secondly, i wouldnt have problems weaning my son off my breast the next time which my gf had a hard time weaning her son off and till now her son 14 mths still refuse bottle.

Thirdly, it is healthy for the baby and mummy.. lose weight faster =p
save money too!! healthy for our pockets

there are still more benefits then disadvantages. so dont stress yourself. you are doing fine and dun forget STRESS REDUCE SUPPLY TOO. my supply is yo-yo when i stress at work.
i could pump more then 1000ml per day when i not stress up. ss will drop alot when i not enuff slp too

1. MAssage with warm water in circular mode,
2. Drink hot milo when pumping milk,
3. find a quiet place to pump milk.
4. one of the seesion i will pump for a longer duration even when no milk come out to stimulate (abt 1 hr)

hope this helps and we are created to give the best so thats why it is mother's nature to breast feed. =p

for those who need to mix FM while trying to increase the yield--> if u need frozen BM i can give u mine for free cos my son dun drink tat much if nt i usually throw away too. PM me if u want.

Cheers.

Dear mummies,

When I read this posting, it reminds me of my tedious breast feeding days...my main problem is my bb refused to latch on since he was borned.He would start crying when he 'sees' my breast...

Without latching on, my supply was very miserable. Can only pump out. thus, engorgement & doubts (whether my bm is less nutritious cos it's pumped out, supply enough? etc) are daily events. My hubby is supportive but he would prefer me not to bf since he sees me depressed daily. My own mum dun wanta me to bf as she felt I'm losing a lot of nutrients during the process & it might weaken my body as a whole...

I tried everything that is ever mentioned in the Internet to increase my supply:

1) Pump every 2 hours
2) Drink papaya & fish soup (taste horrible!)
3) Drink nursing tea
4) Take Milk Plus tablets
5) Eat plenty of lao ren mai (quakers oats, I think)
6) Drink plenty of milo + water
7) TRY to relax!

It is definately a very difficult period. Even after my supply finally kicks in after 2 months, I had difficulty going out for too long period as my bb dun latch on, I have to pump every 3~4 hours. If my bb with me, can't pump at all....as he would wake up or cry every time I pump (even manual)....*headache*

Even when I go back to work, pumping is difficult. There're men who are curious of bf...who would try very hard to spot u pumping! Other men/women (some are married & have children of their own!) are very critical/sacastic about bf & pumping. One of my male colleagues called me a cow & commented pumping as a "disgusting" matter!

But I am happy to say that now my bb is 8 months old now & going strong...& he still prefers bm to fm...:cool:)His contented look after every fed is my biggest present

bunnybleu,
so, if after you pump and your baby happen to wake up soon after, baby can still suck milk from them? Because, mine feels empty lor, wondering if he drinking anything??

momtobe,
it's an improvement for you since, your baby can latch on now. Jia you!
Yalor, I also dun wan my bb to be hungry so I 'bo pian' have to supplement. How much yous upplement everytime? I usually supplement 60ml first then see if he still wants anymore.

Phoebe,
Wah, can pump 1L!!!!, so envious. I also wish I can save $$$ by bf-ing and save the trouble of washing and sterlising hte bottles...hehehe...lazy me...

Catherine,
thanks for the tips. yes, when my bb dun cry afer I fed him, I feel good too. But when he cries and root not long after, i get depressed.
I'm starting to eat oats now, although I'm not a fan of oats and cereals. 'bo-pian'
pardon me for saying this, your office men abit 'bian-tai' rite? trying to spot u bf-ing!!??

Hi mom to be,
I've seen the SNS in Robinsons Centrepoint quite some time ago. If you are interested, better give them a call to check before you go down. Else can call Mums n Babes to check if they have or even call the Medela distributor direct to check.
The LC said that I will not be able to breastfeed for more than 4mths 'cos I've got not enuff milk, not aft 4mths no hope to breastfeed.
My breastfeeding story can write a book, think will not bore everyone here. But there are some things I learned through breastfeeding my 2 bbs.

1) Manage your engorgement properly. Recognise engorement coming and clear your breasts. Massage and pump if bb cannot clear your breasts. Avoid using cabbage leaves if possible.

2) Make sure baby's latch is correct. You can use the breastfeeding pillow to help you position your baby when latching and feeding.
3) Make sure you feed your baby every 2 hours in the initial few weeks or on demand, whichever is shorter. In the middle of the night, feed only on demand. Be flexible abt the feeding schedule. Dun listen to the nurses in the hospital to feed only every 3 hours. Need to latch more often.

4) If you do 1-3, there is no need to pump unless you have excess and it's causing you some discomfort or you intend to produce more milk than your baby requires for future use or if you are going back to work.

5) If you need to pump, invest in a good pump, not any pump. Good ones I've used is the Ameda and the medela PIS. Avent manual and the medela electric pump (dual) is hopeless in my case. You will need to pump frequently - every 2-3 hours. Dun b lazy, cannot skip pump. I try to time my pumping at almost the same time everyday.

6) When pumping, you need to empty your breast to avoid blocked ducts. If ducts are blocked n cannot be cleared by baby or yourself, get professional help to unclog it. I dun look at the amt or the time when I pump. I go by feel that my breast is almost empty. I also dun count the amt I pump per session. I look at the amt I pump by day. Sometimes, after pumping, I will do hand express to squeeze out the last bits of milk. Yah, I kn I'm crazy
happy.gif

7) Make sure you hv enuff rest/sleep and eat well. Diet wise, I have oats with milo every morning...oats with milo is yummy! During hospital stay n confinement, I drink lots of soup and red dates tea n eat a lot of meat. I continue to take my pre-natal vitamins n calcium. For my 1stborn, I also take fenugreek n brewer's yeast. I'm not sure if those help, but it's more for peace of mind that I continue to take them for v long after. But for my 2nd born, I dun take them but will take fish oil. And dun forget your water.

8) Got to manage the people aspects of breastfeeding...your HB, your mum, your MIL, the other relatives/friends, your boss n colleagues, etc.

I think enuff rambling...

hi kemmy,
ur bb how old oredi? mine oni 1 mth but still taking like 3oz/feed wic is every 2-3 hourly (i supplement him 3oz every feed aft letting him latch n suckle, if he choose to).. seems like 3 wks old bb taking more than that.. am i not giving enuff milk to him? but hes putting on weight tat im sure..

hi bluebrries,
sure will check tt out.. next week confinement over can go out..
happy.gif
anyway, the cabbage leaves are actualli for wat? if im not wrong, i read somewhere tat they recommended cabbage leaves for something but i cant remember wat purpose.. y u dun recommend cabbage leaves ley? n ur fish oil, is it neurogain?

hi catherine,
the milk tea rili good izit? coz i know some mummies are taking tt but im not sure if i shd get tt oso...

Hi mom to be,

Cabbage leaves is to relieve engorgement. Too much cabbage leaves will reduce milk supply, so dun play play
happy.gif

I'm taking nordic naturals prenatal DHA. Bought it from Vitakids.

Hi momtobe,
mine is 5 weeks old. For FM, by right, 3weeks onwards should give 120ml per feed. That is for soley FM fed babies.I also not sure how much is the correct amount to supplement after i bf.I range from 60-90ml, depending on how much my bb can stomach.

mummies taking, more milk plus,how long will i see the effect? the online website is for shipping in US only isit? where else can i get it online?

thanks.

hi blueberries,
wah so serious huh? i didnt know its tt bad.. thanks for the info..

hi kemmy,
in tt case i think im depriving my bb of milk.. no wonder my hubby n i noticed tt bb's feeding time is shorter now.. n we kept saying cant give him too much..

btw ladies, how to know the period of growth spurt?

Hi Kemmy,

You can go to http://www.ahomeonearth.com, they are local and selling Motherlove More Milk Plus.

Personally, I have not try it if you tried it and is good, do share it here, I am also one of those mother who need to increase my milk...

Like you ladies, I also supplement my girl after BF, but I only limit it to night time, during the day, I just let her latch even if is 1hour plus, I try to keep upto it. Still no result in milk increase.

As for FM, different brand will recommend different amount of scoop amd water for the baby age, do check your FM tin.

Hi bunnybluey,

u certainly make me feel more hopeful about my situation. Thanks!
happy.gif

Hi mom to be and kemmy,
I also supplemented my 3 week old baby with FM after BF (approx 60ml).

Hi Yip,
most mummies here recommend latching on. I am also tryin to get baby to latch on more often. Hopefully it will boost the milk ss

Hi Yip,
thanks for the website.
I also latch on practically the whole day today and my breast feels so empty.

Yip,momtobe,Semankga,
what FM are you giving? I giving S26.

Yes, if baby don't latch on, pump. Don't lose heart. If baby latching on, and your supply is ok, then don't have to pump, otherwise, try pumping for 10min after baby had sucked. If you have a little milk, it means your supply is coming, keep it up, you are doing great.

I remembered when I first started pumping, after using hot towel to massage, I sat there for 30min to an hour with the breast pump on, with no milk at all! But I persisted. I even woken up at around 2:30a.m. to pump. Finally, I had 10ml, then 20ml, then 30ml and finally 120ml every 4-5 hours.

If you are breastfeeding, must eat right. I'm drinking soya milk and goat milk to keep up the supply and to make sure my milk is not too thin.

Hi all and mom-to-be,

I posted here earlier..yeah, another one of the failure to TBF moms..
baby also going to 1st month this weekend..
i'm still not successful in total BF..

kemmy: yeah, i'm also supplementing after every latch on..around 1-2 ounce each time i.e 30-60ml of Enfalac A+

mom-to-be: don't be too fed up..i agree with christine that some BF is better than none...it is true that we should enjoy motherhood..everytime, i look at my baby..i think it is a miracle that i managed to carry her for 10months, and deliver her safely, and that she is now in my arms (be it crying, feeding or sleeping mode).
So pls cheer up, there are moms who have more problems in BF around, not just you..so do not put too much stress on urself..
as long as baby is well (putting on weight nicely, growing, peeing and pooing fine) and you are happy and healthy (mentally and physically, you are already doing a good job..
motherhood is definitely not easy

i'm still pumping and latching on..
according to my PD, my baby is quite greedy, hence need more feeds despite my BF..
luckily for me, baby does not have nipple confusion..latching on well
i'm already finished my 10 day course of domperidone, still taking 4-6 tabs of fenugreek tab, and still drinking fenugreek tea 3 times a day..EBM has increased from 20ml to 40ml each time..

initially i'm really depressed like mom to be. being in the medical profession myself, i know the benefit of BF. so it is really vexing to find that i can't provide enough BF for baby..
but after a week or two, after crying, and talking to my hubby, i've learnt the importance of enjoying motherhood..otherwise, everyone aroudn u is stressed including baby

sorry for long post..
to mom to be and kemmy, just continue with whatever we can!

Back