Very bad review of gynae Irene Chua

Carmen91

Today I am 16 week post-partum and my life totally change after the day I had give delivered. I choose irene chua as my gynae at the first place as I heard a lot of good review of her although her charges is on the high side (which she no longer provide package for consult and scanning) so I'm thinking to give it a try. After the first visit with her, I felt she alway in a rush, usually consultation only took 5 mins for everything to be done, most probably she have lot of patients waiting outside. And it alway cost me between sgd300-400 for each visit for consultation + ultrasound scanning + routine check + Saturday surcharge + supplements. To me as long my baby is healthy, I'm OK with everything, including the waiting time and difficulty of getting appointment.

Finally, today I'm decided to voice out as this is totally unacceptable. I am so sad that I was told to have recto viginal fistula (a passage /hole link from rectum to vigina which my gynae neglected to stitch back after my normal delivery) which mean every time I'm having bowel movement, my stool is coming out from 2 hole, not only that I spend more time in toilet to clean inside my vigina also from front to back of my anal each time after pass motion. I also suffer constant pain and sore on my perinuem Everday (area between vigina and anal also the part that had cut during my labor) and then, it affected my daily life which I had stool leaking from the fistula without my knowledge. So I got to wear panty liner everyday. This is very embarrassing to share but this had affecting my daily life and my work.

At first, 2 week my post delivery I went back to my gynae check up, she told me this is infection, thus she prescribed me antibiotics and anti swelling to see if that's improvement. 3 week my post delivery I went back again, she told me the tear is still raw and not healing well then she apply cream for me. 12 week post delivery I went back again, same she told me infection and prescribed me medication. Until yesterday, I went to see another gynae, who was introduced by my girl friend name Dolly wee, a very old and experience gynae, she point out my condition is having recto viginal fistula. Today I went back to irene chua, she admitted it that's the hole she never stitch up properly, she advise me to go for repair surgery. Mean I have to go through 4 degree cut (cut involved the vaginal tissue, perineal skin, and perineal muscles that extends into the anal sphincter and the tissue underneath it)
and stitch all over again. And one thing unreasonable, she still ask for charges for repair surgery. I felt this is ridiculous. We paid so much for her prenatal check up and delivery fees as I believe in her professional skill but end up she did not did a good job and still I got to pay again to repeat the same downtime? That's torturing! Then who is going to b responsible for the problem im facing everyday? It's not only affected my work as I suppose to get back to work as my maternity is due, and it even affecting my sex life with my hubby. We don't even able to make it as before intercourse my perinuem part is pain like hell.

This is totally unacceptable for me but that's the only way to repair. I'm feeling so depressed that this affected my daily life. Now I do not know should I get back to irene chua to get the surgery done? Coz I don't feel security and confidence toward her skill anymore. Or I should seek for other gynae who can repair my problem, recto viginal fistula ( RVF). Any mommy out there able to help me? Thank you

I am sorry to hear that and this is indeed unacceptable. Suggest you to go for an experience gynae to do the job. Maybe you can go KK if you want a peace of mind. It is a government structured hospital and you be in safe hands (at least). As for the gynae who do hurt to you and trying to cover her mistake, I suggest you lodge a complaint to the medical association. Produce evidence from your second opinion before you seek any further treatment.

I think you should go back to Irene Chua as she knows your condition best. Maybe you can ask her to charge cheaper as well.

Maybe you can seek a second opinion, then see what the doc say. If you are able to get some evidence, then can lodge complaint against her.

I am sorry to hear that and this is indeed unacceptable. Suggest you to go for an experience gynae to do the job. Maybe you can go KK if you want a peace of mind. It is a government structured hospital and you be in safe hands (at least). As for the gynae who do hurt to you and trying to cover her mistake, I suggest you lodge a complaint to the medical association. Produce evidence from your second opinion before you seek any further treatment.
Thanks for your suggestion, surprisingly Irene Chua is from KK hospital, now she own two private clinic at Gleneagles and Mount Elizabeth Novena.

Thanks for your suggestion, surprisingly Irene Chua is from KK hospital, now she own two private clinic at Gleneagles and Mount Elizabeth Novena.

hello mummy, actually, i dare to say that at least 50% or more of gynac who is practising outside of KKH was once in their lifetime a gynac in KKH. Most of them started their career there and subsequently after gathering X years of experience, they move out of KKH.

Today I am 16 week post-partum and my life totally change after the day I had give delivered. I choose irene chua as my gynae at the first place as I heard a lot of good review of her although her charges is on the high side (which she no longer provide package for consult and scanning) so I'm thinking to give it a try. After the first visit with her, I felt she alway in a rush, usually consultation only took 5 mins for everything to be done, most probably she have lot of patients waiting outside. And it alway cost me between sgd300-400 for each visit for consultation + ultrasound scanning + routine check + Saturday surcharge + supplements. To me as long my baby is healthy, I'm OK with everything, including the waiting time and difficulty of getting appointment.

Finally, today I'm decided to voice out as this is totally unacceptable. I am so sad that I was told to have recto viginal fistula (a passage /hole link from rectum to vigina which my gynae neglected to stitch back after my normal delivery) which mean every time I'm having bowel movement, my stool is coming out from 2 hole, not only that I spend more time in toilet to clean inside my vigina also from front to back of my anal each time after pass motion. I also suffer constant pain and sore on my perinuem Everday (area between vigina and anal also the part that had cut during my labor) and then, it affected my daily life which I had stool leaking from the fistula without my knowledge. So I got to wear panty liner everyday. This is very embarrassing to share but this had affecting my daily life and my work.

At first, 2 week my post delivery I went back to my gynae check up, she told me this is infection, thus she prescribed me antibiotics and anti swelling to see if that's improvement. 3 week my post delivery I went back again, she told me the tear is still raw and not healing well then she apply cream for me. 12 week post delivery I went back again, same she told me infection and prescribed me medication. Until yesterday, I went to see another gynae, who was introduced by my girl friend name Dolly wee, a very old and experience gynae, she point out my condition is having recto viginal fistula. Today I went back to irene chua, she admitted it that's the hole she never stitch up properly, she advise me to go for repair surgery. Mean I have to go through 4 degree cut (cut involved the vaginal tissue, perineal skin, and perineal muscles that extends into the anal sphincter and the tissue underneath it)
and stitch all over again. And one thing unreasonable, she still ask for charges for repair surgery. I felt this is ridiculous. We paid so much for her prenatal check up and delivery fees as I believe in her professional skill but end up she did not did a good job and still I got to pay again to repeat the same downtime? That's torturing! Then who is going to b responsible for the problem im facing everyday? It's not only affected my work as I suppose to get back to work as my maternity is due, and it even affecting my sex life with my hubby. We don't even able to make it as before intercourse my perinuem part is pain like hell.

This is totally unacceptable for me but that's the only way to repair. I'm feeling so depressed that this affected my daily life. Now I do not know should I get back to irene chua to get the surgery done? Coz I don't feel security and confidence toward her skill anymore. Or I should seek for other gynae who can repair my problem, recto viginal fistula ( RVF). Any mommy out there able to help me? Thank you

Hello mummy,

Please take good care of yourself. First thing first, i think Dr Irene is at least more honest then many other doctor, at least she have the gut to admit that she did not perform the job up to standard the 1st time. 99% of other doctor will never dare to admit that, they will typically find thousand of excuse to avoid responsibility. In medically field which is complex, to find convincing excuse is very very easy.

If i were in your shoe, i will speak to Dr Irene privately & calmly. Ask her to explain why you need to still pay her to do another surgery when she have already admited that she did not do a good job in the first place. I do not know her at all, but i do believe that since she dare to own up in the first place, she might be able to work together with you to reach a consenus that you can accept.

Last but not least, i strongly suggest you get it fix ASAP. The reason is inside everyone poop, there are all kinds of germs & bacteria (I think), therefore it is never good to let it come into contact with another of your sensitive organ.

All the best.

Hello mummy,

Please take good care of yourself. First thing first, i think Dr Irene is at least more honest then many other doctor, at least she have the gut to admit that she did not perform the job up to standard the 1st time. 99% of other doctor will never dare to admit that, they will typically find thousand of excuse to avoid responsibility. In medically field which is complex, to find convincing excuse is very very easy.

If i were in your shoe, i will speak to Dr Irene privately & calmly. Ask her to explain why you need to still pay her to do another surgery when she have already admited that she did not do a good job in the first place. I do not know her at all, but i do believe that since she dare to own up in the first place, she might be able to work together with you to reach a consenus that you can accept.

Last but not least, i strongly suggest you get it fix ASAP. The reason is inside everyone poop, there are all kinds of germs & bacteria (I think), therefore it is never good to let it come into contact with another of your sensitive organ.

All the best.

Hello mommy, thanks for your advise. I'm planning for repair. I hope this is will a success one.

So sorry to hear that. It's my first time to hear like this case happened ..
Thinking of you and hoping things work out well!!

For my first child, I had Dr Irene Chua and I found her good. But this was my first pregnancy so I could not really compare. After reading your encounter with her, I am now afraid of going back to her for my second pregnancy.

Could you share if you have come to a resolution on your problem with Dr Irene Chua?

Reading the original post, I feel compelled to share my experience with Dr Irene Chua. I delivered my Daughter about two and half years ago through elective c-section. I thought I passed out during the delivery but later found out that they knocked me off because they need to reopen me up after stitching me up - basically I got cut twice for the delivery. Dr Chua said it's because i was bleeding heavily due to weak uterus contraction after delivery, and they had to open me up again to stop the bleeding. But till today, I still cannot help but wonder that she actually reopened me up to look for a missing gauze - the nurse was rushing to my Husband who already went out with my Daughter, asking whether there's a gauze next to the baby. I asked another ob later and she said it'a not necessary to reopen me up to stop the bleeding. But maybe the situation with me is different? I would never know though.

Anyways, I Don't think I will go back to Dr Chua again for my second. I did not like how she acted before the surgery anyway - she was gossiping with the anesthetist when preparing me for surgery, which makes me feel that she was not so serious about the surgery.

I'm sad to say that the worst part about my birth was Dr. Irene Chua. I wish I found this review before I saw her. Simply put: if you want a doctor that truly believes in all natural, she's not the right doctor for you. My experience with her proved that Dr. Irene Chua doesn't want to be questioned or tailor her care to your beliefs. During my birth, Dr. Irene Chua did the quickest option possible because it was clear she didn't want to be there in the early hours in the morning. I'll spare you the lengthy details, but it's important to know that the bedside manner she displayed in her office QUICKLY went out the window. To add insult to injury, Dr. Irene Chua's follow up care was appalling - terrible (or no) instructions, mean comments and a real lack of sympathy. I have spoken to other doctors in Singapore about how I was treated and they were shocked. Shocked. I know lots of people have had good births with Dr. Irene Chua, and I do think that's possible, but it's going to be if you blindly trust her and only do exactly what she wants. The lesson I learned is that it's never too late to switch doctors. I truly wish I had.

This is scary.. Hope u r ok now! Personally I have good reviews for Dr Jocelyn from TMC (ACJ Clinic). She delivered both my kids. :)

Despite her super busy schedule, she is very reassuring.. (I didn't know back then I had pre-natal anxiety, I keep going to her for check-ups and for assurance) and she answer my questions ever so patiently that set my mind at ease. She is a very responsible and committed, a professional gynae. I highly recommend her!

So sorry to hear that. It's my first time to hear like this case happened ..
Thinking of you and hoping things work out well!!

Hello there, I’m so sorry to hear about your experience. May I know how you’re doing now, and if you managed to find another surgeon to repair the fistula? I’m in the same situation myself - was diagnosed with a rectovaginal fistula last month - and would like to reach out if you don’t mind.

Back