Twins due in 2008?

Jas C, do you leave ur twins at home with your helper? i have not done that, and so far, it's either me and toddler on outings, or hb and toddler... td, my toddler asked me when he can go on an outing w both daddy and mummy....

also, he saw me cutting nails for the twins... and asked if i can cut for him too.. and i realised i havent find time to cut his nails, clean his ears recently.... before i can do it, my helper did it before me.... maybe my toddler is feeling unloved.... recently he has been asking me to put him to bed....

Hi Thistle,

Excellent work for a mother of 3!

I only managed to breastfeed my twins for a month due to the above crisis I've mentioned, hence they are both on total FM and thriving.

I salute to all you moms out there who are able to BF your babies to date. I tried very hard to BF my twins but my milk supply was very low and I was getting very frustrated and the babies felt it. In the end my lactation consultant told me not to force myself if I didn't feel like BF and so I gave up and haven't looked back since. I'm much happier feeding them FM since I'm in control of their feeds and intake.

I believe with twins and a toddler, you really got to let go and entrust some of the task to your helper. In the beginning when my helper was new, I did everything myself and she, only the housework and cooking. I didn't even allowed her to bottle feed them. After 3 months of it, I found that I couldn't handle it and was really burn out. I didn't have any 'ME' time and felt that I needed my sanity back, hence I began to change things around and started to entrust more baby tasks to my helper with me at the side supervising.

Now she bathe both the twins twice a day - morning and evening as well as cutting their nails, cleaning their ears and nose. She does a better job than me...at least the babies don't cry when she handles them so I'm happy with that.

Both my twin sleeps in their own cot in seperate rooms. Rachel sleeps in my room and Ryan sleeps in his own room together with my helper.

As for routine, trust me, it took me a month to figure it out and alot of patience plus hardwork to get it right. Of course the most fundamentals is to understand both your twins and work towards what works for them. If they are happy, sleeping and feeding well, continue to do so.

I wasn't so lucky in the beginning becos I did alot of 'accidental parenting' (you will understand if you have read HOGG's book) hence my twins had difficulties getting to sleep on their own and they weren't very happy babies. So with 2 very cranky little ones, it drove me insane becos I was desperate to understand what they wanted.

In the end, I recorded every single activity they did, what time they slept, what time they take in the most feed and try to read their body language. After 3 weeks of recording, there was a pattern forming and together with the books I had, I managed to combat those difficulties and set up a routine that fit them well.

BTW I almost send my twins to the 'Fretful baby' training in Thomson but I persisted and decided to do the pickup/putdown with my son and now he is not so fearful of his cot anymore and I will wind him down the minute I notice a yawn from him.

Lesson I've learn and would like to share :

'Accidental Parenting number 1'
Never introduce sarong to your babies. Once they have slept in one, they will not want to sleep in their own cot and cant put themselves back to sleep. As for my twins, they were so 'motion' dependent that they needed to be rocked or swayed in order to fall asleep. When I took them out the first time, it was mayhem....they cried non stop for 2 hours becos they were frustrated without the sarong and couldn't get to sleep.

'Accidental Parenting number 2'
Pacifiers. To date my twins are still on pacifiers which I've decided to wean them off when they are 6 months old. Anyone have any stories to share if you have successfully wean off your babies?

This is my twins daily routine.

6.45am : wake and feed
7.00 - 7.30am : Activity
7.35am : Bathe
8.15 - 9.15am : Nap
9.30 - 10.30am : Activity (usually a walk in the park)
10.45am : Feed
11.00 - 11.30am : Activity
11.45 - 2.30pm : Nap (there will be at least 2-3 awakenings due to dropping of the pacifiers)
2.45pm : Feed
3.00 - 4.30pm : Activity (usually will bring them out to mall or car ride)
4.45 - 5.30pm : nap
5.45pm : Bathe
6.00 - 6.30pm : Activity (usually I will read to them or have one-on-one time with them)
6.45pm : Feed (This is the most important feed, whereby I will increase their feed by 30mls and tank them up before bedtime)
7.00pm : BEDTIME
11.00pm : Dreamfeed

hi thistle, i only let bbs latch on once or twice a day. I give ebm during day time and 1 or 2 fm feeds at midnight. I m trying very hard to pump every 3hrly but usually overshot coz too busy handling bbs. So will usually stretch to 4 or 5hrly. My bbs r starting to take 5-6 feeds a day.

hi meil li, your routine is very ideal leh. I dunno if i can achieve tt. I bot the gina ford book for twins but gave up trying when they were 4 weeks old. Every time whn my bbs coudln't stick to the stipulated timing, i got very stressed so in the end i created my own routine but the timing is not fixed everyday... plus/minus 1 hour. How did u stick to the routine? How old were your bbs whn u started them on routine? btw, i use sarong for my bbs during daytime and thank God they r ok to sleep in their own cots at night. They refused to settle to sleep during daytime so i introduced sarong. Hope it's not too bad...

Meil li, thanks for sharing your routine. wow... i salute you for being able to follow such a routine.

i find that with my twins, and given i am also bfg on demand, i cant really stick to a fixed schedule as much as i'd like to. in general, my twins wake up at 9 am, shower in the morning, have some activity time, then nap the whole afternoon, wake up awhile for some activity time about 6 - 7 pm, then sleep again at about 9 pm. I tried to write out a schedule like you did, but find it hard to stick to fixed timings. i think my twins are sleeping a lot more - their wakey hours are only about 4 hours a day...

both bbs sleep through the nite - boy will demand for milk at 6 am, then sleep again. gal will sleep through. sometimes i will try to wake either one up to bf if my breats are too full and lumpy... i do this by changing their diapers... and most of the time, they will wake up.
happy.gif

NZ - wow... you can find time to pump milk? My bbs are taking 3 - 4 FM feeds a day, the rest is bfg on demand. i try to feed them FM at breakfast, lunch, and supper, before they go to bed.

Re sleeping - my bbs need comfort before they sleep, even after a full FM feed (180 ml!). so i have to latch them on till they are satisfied, and put them in their cot (and my bed), and they will fall asleep.... btw - one sleeps in the cot, the other on my bed...

sometimes i wonder how i can handle 3 kids without losing my sanity... well, thank God for help.... i am able to rely on my hb and helper at times... with feedings and carrying bb when required....

Juggling with twins and 1 toddler is definitely a challenge. much as i would want to give full attention to the twins, i feel i need to give due attention to my toddler who has been so close with me fr young. need to bath him, feed him, tug him to bed, etc etc. hence, i hv no choice but to let helper help out with the twins. + i need her help so that i can continue to pump milk, which is another tiring job.

i have the gina ford book too and tried to follow the routine. sad to say, it has not been strictly followed. my hb would want to play with twins when he is back fr work, hence can't put them to sleep at 7am, else daddy will nvr get to see bbs.

the twins r still on mix of bf and FM, more of bf. try to pump every 3-4 hr, sometimes 5hr if busy. my girl drinks v little, still only 100ml, but she can sleep thru the nite after the last feed at 11pm. my boy drinks abt 120ml every 3hr and still wake up for 1 (sometime 2) feed at nite. still waiting for the day he sleeps thru.

Meili - i really saluate you. well done for what you have done so far. i can imagine how hard it must be for you and hb. are you a SAHM?

Thistle: I have only left 1 bb with the helper. Will usually bring the other bb with me out if i need to go out. else both bb and maid will go to my mom house.

Hello everyone! I have truly been MIA! on this as well as my sept 08 thread! *blush*

How's everyone? Hi to the newer moms to the thread
happy.gif

Pix of my gals around CNY
2277738.jpg

Now they are drinking between 160-200ml Soy about 4 times a day plus two small solid feeds (11am and 6pm)...roughly following gina ford for twins...

Meili
Those record books are good idea...helped me and maid a lot.

Now I am back to being a FTWM, so she's handling them on her own, with some help from my hb who works from home. She's quite good with them, so am v lucky...altho she's going on home leave in May! GULP!!

Gals were sleeping thru the nite from 2.5 months, but started waking up again just two weeks ago (they are approx 6months 3 weeeks now)...so VVV tired!

Hope everyone is well. do post pix!

hi, i still enjoy coming to this thread to c if anyone posted. Yes, being a twins mom is rly bz...dun even hv time to sleep.

I m back to work and mil and maid take care of bbs during day time. I try to reach home by 7pm everyday to take over fr mil. I m rly exhausted but seeing them grow healthily is the best gift. My bbs r 3mth+ coming to 4 mths soon. They still dunno how to flip yet..maybe should spend more time to play wth them. My boy also started to wake up several times a night and my girl will wake at 4+ or 5am...yes, very tiring. Pray tt they will sleep thru soundly soon.

hi all. yes...seems like everyone is busy? i still check the thread fr time to time. but having twins is really double joy double work, double everything!

for those with maid, does the maid sleep with bbs? my twin girl sleeps with me (+ my toddler too), but my twin boy sleeps with maid. feel so guilty towards him...but not much of choice, the room is not big enough, + mommy v tired too
sad.gif

any mommies still breastfeeding?

Hi all, How have all of u been? Looks like we all have been really busy. My Twins are now 3months. they have are such cute angels. My boy loves to be carried and my girl helps me alot but playing with her toys on her own while I tend to the boy. They have been sleeping thru the nite since 2months. Their last feed will be around 8 - 9pm and they will get up around 7-8am in the morning.
I was retrench so now Im home looking after them. I think it was God's will as I was stressing out on who to look after them. I get very stress out when they both cry but Im learning to ignore their crying n leave them alone for 5mins to cry. hehehhee..... Its mostly the boy that wants the attention. hehehe.
I will try to come back n post when I can.
Lets try too arrange to have a play group say in a few months time.

HI twinnes... I guess all mummies with multiplies are really busy now and then.

Hm... maybe time being looking after the kids will be good idea.. for me.. i plan to go back work when economics get better... now no pt. Had been a SAHM for 3 yrs and quite bored of it. Financially cannot be independent.. wanna buy things got to justify this and that and sometimes hb will nag nag nag.

good idea to arrange a play group. will b v fun to watch all the twins together
happy.gif

i m both physically n emotionally exhausted. will b going back to work next monday n i know i will b dead worried abt my 3 kids. my old maid just went back, so now left with 1 new maid. really feel like crying.......

Hi All Mummies

I MIA for quite some time as i am very damn busy with my new job and my two little princess. They are now 4months+ (correct age). Some updates of their new photos
happy.gif

2414499.jpg

2414500.jpg

hi girl80, they r very cute bbs. Now they should b 6 mths+ bah..

My twins r also 6 mths+ now. Started them on semi solids coz they refused to drink milk nowadays..headache

long time din come to this thread. Guess all twins mommies r very busy. hope my post is not the last post here..:p

Hello all!

I've just found out I'm currently pregnant with twins. Went to meet ML Yeap from KKH for my first check-up.

What gynae did you take before and roughly what are the monthly expenses?

Help needed. Thanks!

Hi, long time din pop by here. Vinegal, how are r? My twins are turning 8 mths tomorrow. They are crawling everywhere now, and even attempted to climb the wall and ended up falling backwards. We have created a mini cushioned area with some barriers so tt it's easier to monitor them. My twins still haven't slept thru, both still wake up once at midnite for milk.

Anna, my gynae also fr KKH and his name is SF Loh. Each consultation incl routine test and scanning was abt $70+. Medicine or supplements are not included. How many weeks r u now?

NZ, I thought this thread is dead! Haha. My twins just celebrated their 1 year old last week! Time flies!

Mine are getting very active too, but is a joy to see them learn to wave bye bye, give kisses, clapping etc, but then they are also getting naughty, know how to demand for food, and cry when you walk away, it can be tiring!

Anna, my gynae is douglas ong from Mt E, frankly I dun remember how much my consultation cost, but I know is in 3 digits, never 2 digits :|

hi vinegal, tt's fast. Time flies. My bbs are 8 mths now and they have been crawling and climbing a lot. Btw, do u let your twins sleep together? Will they wake each other up? I tried letting them sleep in the same room last few nites but one woke the other up so the whole nite i was awake patting them to sleep one after another. So i think i have to separate them again.

Recently my bbs only drank abt 360ml of milk the entire day. Is this ok? I also gave them cereal for breakfast, lunch and dinner, abt 6 teaspoon each feed.

Hi NZ,

Yes, I let them sleep in the same room, no doubt sometimes they will wake each other up initially but now as they are older, they tend to ignore unless the cry is very loud, but now they dun really cry out loud anymore, is just some noise, so is ok.

360ml is quite little, is it bec they are teething? Dun fret, is a phase, maybe they just prefer solids, if worry ask ur PD. Mine drink about 180ml each time, 3 to 4 times a day. The rest they eat cereal, porridge or fruits.

Vinegal, my twins dun really like milk since 3 mths old. There were times when my boy only drank 100ml the entire day. I got worried so started them with cereal at 5 mths coz their weight not gaining much esp my girl. Evry feed is a battle. If they can finish 120ml per feed, i m very happy oredi. I dun think it's due to teething but rather uninterested or too distracted. Does changing to another brand of fm help?

Re letting bbs sleep togethr, i feel betta after knowing they will grow to ignore as they get older. Hmmm...at least there is hope.
happy.gif
Who is looking after your twins now?

Hi all, new to this thread.
i've twin boys born last xmas eve via e-c-sec.
they rejected BM when they hit 5mths, so i gave FM but they refused to drink. so i add in cereal and they love it!

FM without cereal they'll nv take no matter how hungry they r. anyone came across this situation b4 too?

And also my younger twin can juz have 3 bottles of 200ml a day.. without any porridge or bb food in between. i guess maybe he's juz not hungry??

He looks smaller than the elder twin but so far for their development they're doing well.

And also my younger twin can juz have 3 bottles of 200ml a day sometimes.. without any porridge or bb food in between. i guess maybe he's juz not hungry?? He looks smaller than the elder twin but so far for their development they're doing well.

They can sleep everywhere - from sarong to cot to bed/mattress on the floor. I successfully wean them off pacifiers when they turn 6mths old. They crawl around the house - from balcony to kitchen to under the tables & altar to bedrooms n even toilets!!

I didnt really have a 'timetable' or routine for them. If they start rubbing their eyes or gets cranky i'll just put them to sleep. They need to be feed every 3hrs (eat less but more meals now). Fully on FM with cereal added in, sometimes bb food or porridge (depending on their moods!). As long as they drink/eat n poo, i'm satisfied.

But 1 thing i dont like is that they're very 'addicted' to their beanie-pillow. its like they cant live without it. Think its b'cos my in laws n husband always give it to them.

wow, afew new posts here...

my mum and maid take care of them during wkdays. They also dun have a routine, but generally they wake up at 730am and have their milk (I use enfagorw stage 3 now and they drink abt 180ml each time). Then around 1030am, they will drink milk again. Around 1230pm, they will either have cereal+puree or porridge. Tea break will have milk again then dinner around 630 or 7pm. At night around 1030pm, milk again then back to zzz. so far they love food, all kinds of food. for milk, it depends on their mood but so far they can finish. NZ, maybe try change FM? I have heard of mothers who change until their bb like it, try and get samples from companies.

Mine still having pacifier, only spit out after they r sound asleep but sometimes will cry in the night for pacifier. How do u wean them off? I mean I so worry they cry so loud and wake the other up.

Do u all experience them suddenly wake up with a loud cry as if they just had nightmare or wat.

hi ptsy, my twins were also born in Dec08. i think i tried putting cereal into my boy's milk once but i think he din take it either. Wow, you bbs can drink 200ml per feed. It's very good.

Anyway, these 2 days are slightly better. I asked my mil and maid to read books to my bbs while feeding coz they love books. They managed to finish abt 110ml each feed. They are on 4 feeds + 3 semi solids a day. I am praying tt they will continue with this amt so i m less worried.

Vinegal, actually i dun mind if my bbs are taking pacifiers. I think i helps a lot. Eventually they will wean off, right? My twins had tt sudden cry b4 but not often. I think they jst had a nightmare or played too much during the day. I just cuddled them a while them put them back to sleep.

My boy (elder twin) tosses and turns and makes a lot of noise in the middle of the night while sleeping. I wonder what's wrong with him. Anyone experience this b4?

Hi Mommies
I am new to this thread. My 2 twin boys are 4.5mths old now. And yes, both love sarong and pacificers.(Help!) My nanny and maid looks after them during the day. Super tired when i reach home in the evening after work but iwill try to put them to sleep or feed them once. Myolder boy who is 8yrs is not really helping as he sort of couldn't be bother with them
sad.gif

NZ, my younger twin tends to tosses and turns too. Then will have to carry him up a bit, change his shirt(sometimes he is hot) and then pat him to sleep. Not sure why he turns and toss but MIl says he's stretching??? I don't hv a routine for them but i worried the nanny and maid keep getting them to sleep (maybe so that they can rest???) But what to do when I am working full-time, right?

Hi delifairy, my twins were sleeping in sarong until 6-7 mths old. Last time, I let them sleep in the sarong during the day. At night, they would sleep in their own cot. When they know how to flip, it's better not to use the sarong anymore. Altho my mil still wanted to use the sarong, i strongly objected. Ever since i dismantled both sarongs, my maid and mil have no choice but to let them sleep in their cot during the day. I feel this way is safer. I don't think your nanny or maid can force the bbs to sleep if they dun want to. So, dun worry yah..maybe you can ask the nanny or maid not to let them sleep too long (i.e. not > 3 hours in total) during the day so tt they can sleep longer at night?
I am also a FTWM and i do worry abt my bbs when i m not at home. I understand how tired u r handling the twins everyday. As they grow older, things will get better.
happy.gif

hi everyone!

my 2nd twin got admitted to mt a last sun due to fever n diarroea. so scary n worried.. lost alot of weight. now he drink 200ml to 225ml every 2hrs! i'm so tired nowadays... and now they kena cough n flu...

my boys now mix - puree, porridge & FM. they used to be totally on BM & FM. and yes. my twins can just suddenly cry out loud when sleeping too.

hi ptsy, hope ur second twin has fully recovered. The stomach flu bug is everywhere lately. I got it and now still recovering. Praying tt i wun infect my twins. Wow, ur 2nd twin can really drink. How i wish my twins can drink tt much.

Hi NZ,
though they drink alot but their sizes are still small. Maybe its the genes... my hubby is skinny n tall, i'm petite. the other day i send my 2nd twin to see the dr, saw a boy same age as him. he looks alot bigger than them. i was like 'wow'... then i saw his dad, he's a bit plump la.. so i guess its the genes.

yes ptsy, as long as your bbs r drinking enuf, nid not worry abt their size. Most importantly is they r willing to drink milk and take solids.

My bbs r also considered small in size and if they still refuse milk, i will get very worried. Anyway, a mother's worry is never ending so soemtimes i rly have to let go.

R u gg to celebrate your twins 1 y/o birthday? My hubby is suggesting to bring our twins for a family photoshooting session on their birthday.

hi NZ
yup going to celebrate. i'm also looking for family photo shoot. any recommendations??

Your twins are a boy n a girl?? VB or c-sec?

juz saw the above past readings. i also gave birth at kkh but dont know which dr coz last min kena send there by Dr Woodworth. my whole birthing experience was a blur. didnt n'joy much.

i see. Then maybe i should do the same too. No wonder my mil kept asking me to buy 'fei jai sui' for my bbs coz they dun like water. Currently i boil apple water and feed them everyday instead. Does your bbs like water? How much should we feed them a day?

wah your bbs drink a lot of water. My bbs will only drink the apple water if being spoonfed. If from bottle, they dun wanna drink at all.

My wound still hurts when touched. Otherwise it's ok when i walk or bend. Urs still hurt?

ptsy, i think it's better for you to see your gynae if the pain prolongs. If it subsides then it's not too bad. Meanwhile, take good care of yourself so tt u can take of of your bbs!
happy.gif

Hi everyone!

I am "new" cuz i only read and dont post :p

I have 7.5 mths old B/G twins & 22 mths old boy.

Do your twins progress the same pace? My elder twin boy can sit up well and crawl forward but my twin girl can only crawl backwards.. lol.. And I thought girl's motor skill is supposed to be better than boys!

Also, my elder twin boy can take cereal very well ie can swallow but the girl keeps spitting out the cereal. Does this read she's not reading for cereal? She drinks more milk than my boy though.

I am sorry but I forgot when I am supposed to start feeding them porridge.

I am feeling so bad recently. It seems that I have forgotten to do a lot of things.. I used to keep track of everything with my 1st born, his progress, milestones, when to start/eat something.... now.. i actually forgot to start feeding cereal to my twins till they were >6mths.

The twin boy has coughed for a week liao and can hear there are a lot of phelgm.. I consulted the PD but she didnt really offer any solution. She doesnt want to give medicine to baby <1 yr old and she wants me to decide if I want to change to soy-based or goat's milk powder. I wonder if it's the milk (btw, i am using Similac). What will you mothers do? Change milk powder or not?

if there's no rashes then no need to change ba. not every bbay like cereal though.. my boys took a few wks to accept cereal also. n my elder twin aso progress slower than the younger one. every bb is different dont worry too much. with twins is normal to forget alot of things.

but do u dilute ur bb's milk? i diluted their milk, didnt follow the milk tin's instructions. i gave 4-5 scoops of powder n add 2 scoops of cereal.

i hear that Similac does aggrevate the phelgm condition so i am at a lost if i should change milk powder.

I do dilute the milk but it doesnt seems to improve leh..

I intend to add cereal to the milk for the girl since she is not taking the cereal via spoon well. any special cereal? can use the normal nestle cereal? wont it be too thick to flow throught the milk bottle?

cut the teat bigger lo. I gave them Nestle - tried all flavours. They prefer fruits one. Or u can go yu ren sheng buy the Si Shen Brown RIce. My boys changed FM twice. finally settle down with Nan.

hi ptsy, i din apply anything on my tummy, guess i have abit of stretchmarks but dun rly bother.

Chanchan, my girl also progressed faster than my boy although she is the younger twin. She knows how to stand without support for quite a while now but my boy still refused to stand unsupported. My hubby even tried to hold my girl's up and taught her how to walk and she enjoyed it. As for my boy, when i held him up, he would bend his legs and sit down instead.
uhoh.gif

Anybody let your twins sleep together now? DO they wake each other up? My twins are sleeping separately in their own cots. I wonder when shall we move them to sleep on the mattress? Coz now they seem to climb out of the cot.

Back