Trying to conceive and looking to change jobs at the same time

Liv2019

Hi all! New to the forum here!

Started to try for baby in Oct and no news so far :( I know it’s still early in the game. But some of my friends were lucky and hit jackpot within few tries so it’s quite disheartening. Didn’t realise trying to conceive can actually be quite stressful. (I’m early 30s)

I’m in a dilemma because I am thinking of changing jobs and I am not sure if that’s a good idea since we are trying for baby. (Concerned that future employer will play punk and not give the maternity benefits or terminate me when my pregnancy is made known) my current job is stable but I am very unhappy in it as management is poor and I am not able to fit into the management’s thinking and direction where the organisation is heading. So it’s pretty much unhappiness every day at work (nothing new I know)

Some friends have advised me to stay on to secure maternity benefits I don’t know when we will be successful in having a baby because hubby is quite stressed at work also - so bedroom frequency not as ideal for making babies haha. :p Another group advise is to change now before becoming successful o_O

Anyone in this situation or tried to change jobs before? Thanks for reading and if any of you are in this situation just want to say you’re not alone!

For me, I'm quite down to earth, I would have to choose to stay on the job until pregnant give birth and enjoy the maternity benefits before quit the job, as u already familiarise with the environment I believe there are ur close colleagues for support.
But on the other hand, I think if u are too stressful with ur job, it's hard to get pregnant as well. Maybe can get ur hub to change job as u said his job is quite stressful?
Having new environment while pregnant is not easy, the risk of meeting unknown goal and targets, new fren and new boss might not be a good idea..

when i was looking for job, i made it clear to the future employer tt i’m ttc and if they have concerns n about maternity entitlement. i also have a friend who switch job while pregnant n still entitled to the full maternity benefit.

its really up depends how comfortable you are to discuss this during interview. i wasnt in a hurry to change job so i am pretty ok to lay tt out in the discussion. of cos not employers are so nice, i ever met a hr several yrs ago and they hinted they prefer someone who dont ‘mia’ into maternity leave within 1 yr.

and i will not consider contract job, no guarantee they will renew you after contract ends and sometimes its not up to the boss.

https://www.mom.gov.sg/employment-practices/leave/maternity-leave/eligibility-and-entitlement

If you are actively ttc... the chances are quite high if there are no fertility issues. I would give myself 6 months and after 6 months, I will change job as I want to. Being in an old working place will be good as my colleagues will be understanding and supportive.

Hi thanks all for your advise!! Really helpful to hear from you all.

Ya I think hubs stressed enough with work so don't want to stressed him up with TCC also. If not become like work also!

Aiyo the part about HR discreminating mummy and mummy to be quite horrible. Even though I can understand why from business perspective but still :(

If I were you, I would stay on to enjoy the maternity benefits before quitting the job. Besides, changing job will cause high stress and anxious and both factors will definitely affect the result of ttcing.
Just try to nourish your body and don't give yourself too much pressure, can also take supplements such as blackmores conceive well gold or tian yuan xiang's chicken essence for pregnancy plan to nourish your body as well as your egg to increase the chance of getting pregnant.
Jia you and good luck for you! :)

If I were you, I would stay on to enjoy the maternity benefits before quitting the job. Besides, changing job will cause high stress and anxious and both factors will definitely affect the result of ttcing.
Just try to nourish your body and don't give yourself too much pressure, can also take supplements such as blackmores conceive well gold or tian yuan xiang's chicken essence for pregnancy plan to nourish your body as well as your egg to increase the chance of getting pregnant.
Jia you and good luck for you! :)

Hi birdierina, thanks so much for the recommendation on products to take!! Wow will definitely go check them out!

Yikes stress is such a scary factor :( no wonder Singapore birthrate is low cause all too stressed

First of all, is the current job very stressful? If it is than it will b a bit hard to get preggy if u know stress is the most common reason for unable to get preggy.. if ur current job is still.alright, i suggest stay on cos u nv know new coy how u can cope and handle..

On the other hand, try to take supplements to build up your inner guts.. im using hormonal oils to regulate n tiao my body too.. not sure if u r interested.. i used non synetic and chemical free cos i dun wan the chemicals to go to the embryo if im preggy..

If u r early 30s and really wanted baby so much to get an easy and relax job will be priority.
When we get older it’s harder to conceived especially in stressful environment.
Also the working environment whether they allow you to breastfeed also a major concerned in future.
I’m having a tough job when I’m pregnant many years back even I have no problem with conceived but to make sure the embryo grow healthily is a problem for me too.
Hope this help.

Why don't you go for some tests now to check if there are any fertility issues between the two of you? Eg tests for men should be cheaper than tests for women.

This will reveal where you as a couple stand, especially since you are in your early 30s.

If tests are not too positive, you might need to take time to join the queue for subsidised rate / "tiao" your body through TCM or western medication. This will give you time to settle into your new job too.

Hi, I am going through a similar thought process too. i have been ttc for a year, and have been seeing a gynae and getting fertility treatments. I'm unhappy at my job too and have been considering to switch, but I'm holding back as there will be more stress at the new workplace as i would need to prove myself, and build r/s there. Getting more stress is not going to help in conceiving.. Also, I dont want to leave a negative impression on my manager and the team.
Having said that, it's easier said than done. I still keep looking at job portals to see what are the available jobs out there..

Hi, I am going through a similar thought process too. i have been ttc for a year, and have been seeing a gynae and getting fertility treatments. I'm unhappy at my job too and have been considering to switch, but I'm holding back as there will be more stress at the new workplace as i would need to prove myself, and build r/s there. Getting more stress is not going to help in conceiving.. Also, I dont want to leave a negative impression on my manager and the team.
Having said that, it's easier said than done. I still keep looking at job portals to see what are the available jobs out there..
Nothing wrong in keeping a look out. Who know you may found a better opportunity?
But to be honest, every job have its good and bad. It will depend on what you really want.

Back